Type keyword(s) to search

The Purge - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm sympathetic because I see many of these characters as human beings.  I think the show is asking some serious questions.  If there was one night of the year where ALL CRIME is legal, what would you do?  It's easy to sit and say, "I wouldn't do anything."  But is that really true? 

Jane's boss turned out to be a total sleaze and I hope he does get taken out; maybe that's the reason Jane wanted him dead, because she KNEW he was a sleaze and she'd NEVER get anywhere as long as he was alive.  The law does exist but it takes time and money; like what the Matron Saints were telling Jane.

I think the wife in the couple had no real idea of what would happen at the party.  I think Stanton made an announcement that no one would purge or be purged upon at the party.  Also crime is supposed to be almost non-existent the rest of the year, so many of the folks in the show have not been exposed to violence.  Maybe Jane didn't know what it would look like, until the co-worker stabbed her competition.  It's one thing to hire an assassin to kill someone, and another thing to actually do it yourself.  

• Love 5

Jenna was a bit much, no? She complains about how her husband is, but at the same time she also cheated with someone the maid said wasn't innocent. It was almost like she was lashing out at him, because there was no one else there to take her anger out on. He may be trying to prove something, but I think she doesn't really understand how those less fortunate really deal with life. I also think she's blinded by Lila that she didn't realize that she left her husband for her when the maid warned her to go. Both checked out of their marriage, but she's trying to make herself feel better which is annoying. I hope that they stay together, or Lila kills Jenna's husband and after the purge ends she realizes how big of a mistake that is and how much she doesn't actually know about Jenna. Trading one 'dangerous' person for another would be interesting to see. I can see Lila being the one setting up

I feel for Jane, but I think her shock is now gone so I'm interested in seeing what she does next. Lesser Baldwin is creepy, but when I saw what his kind of purge was I thought, "Well, at least it's not rape...." then I felt dirty.

On a side note, CollegeHumor once did a funny bit about the Purge that talked about the technicalities of it. I thought it was pretty funny.

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, CheezyXpressed said:

On a side note, CollegeHumor once did a funny bit about the Purge that talked about the technicalities of it. I thought it was pretty funny.

That's great.  Jane's co-worker comes to mind, when she killed her competition she was like, "what do we do now?  Will his family know I killed him?"  And I thought, that's right.  What happens if you purge someone?  Who picks up the bodies?  Who will clean up the Stanton house?  

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

That's great.  Jane's co-worker comes to mind, when she killed her competition she was like, "what do we do now?  Will his family know I killed him?"  And I thought, that's right.  What happens if you purge someone?  Who picks up the bodies?  Who will clean up the Stanton house?  

I would think that they don't tell the family who purged their son, only because it would make the family go after Alison during the next purge. We know that Alison killed the guy, but if the son was just out and about then it would be harder to find out who killed him.

In Purge Anarchy (the third one) there was a pick up service that drove around and picked up the dead bodies littered everywhere.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, CheezyXpressed said:

In Purge Anarchy (the third one) there was a pick up service that drove around and picked up the dead bodies littered everywhere.

But that just begs for more questions.  Are the bodies returned to their families?  Are they buried in a mass grave?  Also, what about cameras in large cities, are all of them turned off for the purge?  Allison killed her rival in the office.  Does the service pick up the bodies from homes and offices too?  

With Jenna, I thought the whole idea was that they would take their money, and do good with it. I also thought the party wasn't supposed to include purging, but of course those holding the party are evil, so that wasn't entirely true. 

I hadn't realized that was Lila at the end. 

• Love 2

How far away is the Stanton party from the rich couple's house? They drove there at the beginning, and managed to run home in what I assume was less than an hour (considering that Jane is walking through the creep's apartment and Miguel and Penelope are still being tormented in the witch tent) without running into a single purger? Or rather, running into one purger, who didn't seem interested in killing them, just taunting them. Jane was attacked within five minutes of leaving her office! Maybe purgers tend to stay away from ritzy neighborhoods because fewer people are likely to be stuck outside and it's harder to break into their houses? I know, I'm way overthinking it. I feel bad about it, but the whole time the rich couple were fighting about their upbringings and everything, I just kept thinking, I would much rather spend this time watching them flee through purge night. 

I hope that Jane manages to call the Matron Saints, because they would clean house on that den of creeps. Also, was that Jane's picture in the vigilante's car? How does he know she needs help? What is his plan in all of this? 

ETA: Oh and I laughed when Miguel managed to knock out Penelope's evil ex boyfriend with a couple of kicks. Come on, now. I'm glad our heroes will get away or whatever, but the evil ex is just ridiculous. All that talking and he gets destroyed by a guy *tied to a stake*. It also makes me wonder if this has ever happened before, that a designated victim manages to kill the customer/purger, and what the protocol is.

Edited by legxleg
  • Love 2

I hope the vigilante helps her. I hope he doesn't have her picture, because she hired someone to purge for her. 

I'm trying to watch again now, on-demand. Oh JFC, a sexual harassment party. If they dare to protest, they die. 

I don't even want to think about what might happen in my area, if the purge became a reality. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 1

Maybe the Matron Saints put a tracer on Jane's phone, they know she's in danger but are busy elsewhere so they outsourced Jane's rescue to their friend the vigilante.

I'm still not sure if Lila is allied with her parents, the revolutionaries or if she hasn't gone full Fatal Attraction.

• Love 2

This show is really just junk viewing for me.  I was rolling my eyes throughout the whole scene with Penelope's ex-bf describing what he was going to do to her and her brother, it felt like it went on for half the episode.  I was like STFU and do something for crying out loud!  Instead it was, "I'm going to walk around brandishing my knife and yapping non-stop until one of you finds a way to incapacitate me."  Super suspenseful....Not.  The whole Rick/Jenna/Lila lesbian love triangle is just the worst written soap opera I have seen on tv in a long time.  The whole Jenna/Lila romance was inserted into the show clearly for the titillation factor of two hot chicks getting it on with each other as opposed to anything remotely resembling a real same-sex relationship.  Now Lila miraculously appears on their doorstep so she can be rescued and the three of them can reconvene for more scandalous liaisons.  Meh.  Jane's adventure is probably the most interesting.  Looking forward to seeing how she gets out of her predicament, which is clearly the most horrifying as it involves spending the evening with a Baldwin brother.

• Love 10
18 hours ago, legxleg said:

ETA: Oh and I laughed when Miguel managed to knock out Penelope's evil ex boyfriend with a couple of kicks. Come on, now. I'm glad our heroes will get away or whatever, but the evil ex is just ridiculous. All that talking and he gets destroyed by a guy *tied to a stake*. It also makes me wonder if this has ever happened before, that a designated victim manages to kill the customer/purger, and what the protocol is.

Well, the ex boyfriend was also a strung out junkie and missing an eye, so no match for a Marine, even one tied to a stake.  I mean junkies will do a lot of talking and little action.

And what happens if a victim kills a customer?  Nothing really, I mean the Carnival of Flesh has their money, so hey, it's purge night.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 2

I was expecting David to be hiding a torture dungeon downstairs; but oh well.  I want to know more about the creepy cult!  Also curious to know what exactly Jane envisioned would happen once she'd "warned David"?  Is the Purge her "get out of jail free" card since he managed to defeat the assassin, because while she was on her way over, I was thinking "Okay, now, so there's zero reason for David not to up and fire Jane the next morning, right?"  Even if he knew he couldn't fire her by saying hey, she's the one who called a hit out on me; surely he could fire her for any other reason and just not say it was the Purge, no?  As for Lila, I don't have much of a bead on her yet but I thought it was pretty silly for Jenna to take the word of the first stranger to pick up Lila's cell phone that she was dead, as for all Jenna knows, Lila dropped it while fleeing to/from somewhere.

Edited by queenanne

I am so completely bored with the pretty couple. Pretty doesn't give you right to waste my time when you are so unvarying in your dullness. 

The much better story was Reed Diamond vs the Rebels. But as the main characters in that story are older and we wouldn't get the hot girl on girl sex, they are pushed into the background. 

We can't have nice things. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Macbeth said:

The much better story was Reed Diamond vs the Rebels. But as the main characters in that story are older and we wouldn't get the hot girl on girl sex, they are pushed into the background. 

It may be due to my undying crush on Reed Diamond, but I sincerely believe we haven't seen the last of him.

• Love 4

Rick is such a weasel. I am actually rooting for Lila and Jenna to end up with each other. Honestly, it seems like she loves Lila more than Rick, deep down. No surprise that their marriage was in the dumps before they met her.

The actress who plays Penelope is a VERY beautiful woman! On a scale of one to ten she is a ten plus!! I have never seen her before. Her beauty just glows whenever she is on the screen. I hope this is the beginning of a long career for her.

So it seems that Miguel and Penelope are close in age. During their flashback scenes as children, I couldn't tell who was older. I imagine Miguel is maybe a year, two at the most older than Penelope.

• Love 2

I think Jane in alot of ways is a hero of the story.  She wants to do the right thing but in a world where murder and rape is a viable option what is the right thing to do?  She can murder her sleazy boss with zero repercussions or she can have him make her life miserable.  When murder is in the toolbox even the best of us will consider using it.

• Love 4

I missed a good bit, but I caught Jane killing her boss. Did they explain why the guy in the mask rescued her?

I still think that something is up with Lila. I am not convinced that she wasn't involved in her parents' deaths. It is too convenient that she escaped and found her way to Jenna and Rick's. I think that she is there to set up Rick's death so she can have Jenna for herself.

Penelope and Miguel keep having these miraculous escapes.

• Love 3

Finally! Jane does the smart thing, shoots her skeevy boss and leaves that house. And a quick shout out to Anya who did make the call, too bad the Matron Saints were late.

Rick is super jealous but I'm suspicious about Lila's story too. I'm perfectly fine with her being around to kill the neighbour though. Really man? A maple tree, no dinner invite, parking...that's worth killing people over?

I still think either Miguel or Penelope isn't surviving this night.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I missed a good bit, but I caught Jane killing her boss. Did they explain why the guy in the mask rescued her?

I still think that something is up with Lila. I am not convinced that she wasn't involved in her parents' deaths. It is too convenient that she escaped and found her way to Jenna and Rick's. I think that she is there to set up Rick's death so she can have Jenna for herself.

Penelope and Miguel keep having these miraculous escapes.

I don't think they said why he was tracking her. 

I thought that about Lila, but I also had a brief thought that maybe they'd set Jenna up, in one of those big twists that are popular. It's mostly likely that she's there to kill him, though.

I also wondered if maybe the parents were in on it, and that the staff were allowed to purge their guests. Like a bonus. I prefer to think they were rebelling against those hosting the party, and responsible for all of this. 

1 hour ago, kdm07 said:

Finally! Jane does the smart thing, shoots her skeevy boss and leaves that house. And a quick shout out to Anya who did make the call, too bad the Matron Saints were late.

Rick is super jealous but I'm suspicious about Lila's story too. I'm perfectly fine with her being around to kill the neighbour though. Really man? A maple tree, no dinner invite, parking...that's worth killing people over?

I still think either Miguel or Penelope isn't surviving this night.

I loved that she shot him, and that they got the other women out (and that Anya helped). Maybe the Matron Saints make sure that the women get away, unless they'd already scattered. 

Jane's mother was annoying, "can't you just wait until we are secure". WE? She's practically prostituting her daughter, and was totally fine with it. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Anela said:

Jane's mother was annoying, "can't you just wait until we are secure". WE? She's practically prostituting her daughter, and was totally fine with it. 

I felt bad for Jane, but I got her mother too.  I mean when you read this like this, and this, you can kind of see where the mom was coming from.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1

I still don't trust Lila. Her story sounded fake and you can see her pushing the couple's boundaries. I don't like Jenna or Rick either. Rick is super jealous, but I get it at least. Lila was the person his wife cheated on him with, plus both Jenna and Lila seem to connect on a deeper level, which makes Rick feel like he's the odd man out. Jenna...when she talks I can't help but feel like it comes from a place of privileged. I get why she wanted to save Lila, but as someone who watched the first Purge I know that saving someone will lead to your dad being killed. You have to be smart about things, because that's just the way the world is. I think Lila is going to end up killing Rick, but she'll manipulate the situation so Jenna doesn't realize that Lila was the mastermind. Maybe at the end she will, but by then Rick will be dead and she'll be stuck with a psycho.

The neighbour waiting till Purge night was stupid, but I can imagine people being petty and thinking that this is the night to let out their frustrations. It's like Hell Girl, instead of solving your problems in a proper way people will go for the easy option even if it ruins them.

I don't think Jane is safe.

I think Miguel is going to die and Penelope will realize that she wants to live. Maybe she'll join the matrons. That would be nice.

• Love 2

What I like about this series is that it's trying to show us the world of The Purge, not just Purge night and what leads up to it.  Still I have questions about this world.

For instance, what happens the day after Purge night?  You go to work the day of the Purge, you go home, you survive the night but some of your co workers don't.  So you come to work the next day and find out half your office has been killed.  What if your boss is killed?  What happens to the company?  What happens if an essential employee is killed on Purge night?  Who picks up the slack?  What if they hire someone else and THAT person is killed too?  What about apartment buildings?  If people are always getting killed in the Purge, there will always be vacancies, and that's not always a good thing.  Remember the Cowboy picked up his landlady and her son for the Carnival of Flesh.  What if she's killed, who takes over the building?  What if the government takes over the building and conditions are worse. 

There were a lot of people in the pen at the Carnival of Flesh and I thought, that's a lot of people to possibly get killed.  What about people who aren't killed on Purge night but are injured so they can't work?  Do they go on disability? 

So many questions but hey, if you create this world, you need to have answers to these questions.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 8

I like that nobody is an innocent-almost everyone already has blood on their hands and the night isn't over.

I agree with others that Lila is planning something.  I also view Jenna as pretty demanding and self-absorbed.  There is a lot of self-righteousness being demonstrated by many of the characters, such as when Lila stated that she always saw herself as good and her father as a villain.  I would imagine that after the Purge there would either be a lot of reflection or a lot of denial about what one has done.

• Love 6

I find this shoe getting more and more interesting. Really enjoying the multiple stories and back stories. I wonder where the masked guy is taking the Baldwin killer woman?

Edited by fountain
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Neurochick said:

So you come to work the next day and find out half your office has been killed.  What if your boss is killed?  What happens to the company?  What happens if an essential employee is killed on Purge night?  Who picks up the slack? 

Hmmm ... maybe The Purge wasn’t developed to cut back and crime and punishment costs (or shady nefarious purposes) but to force businesses to reduce single points of corporate failure without making it seem like the government is interfering in their business...

(I kid. But I hear about reducing single points of failure way too much at work.)

• Love 1
15 hours ago, CheezyXpressed said:

I still don't trust Lila. Her story sounded fake and you can see her pushing the couple's boundaries. I don't like Jenna or Rick either. Rick is super jealous, but I get it at least. Lila was the person his wife cheated on him with, plus both Jenna and Lila seem to connect on a deeper level, which makes Rick feel like he's the odd man out. Jenna...when she talks I can't help but feel like it comes from a place of privileged. I get why she wanted to save Lila, but as someone who watched the first Purge I know that saving someone will lead to your dad being killed. You have to be smart about things, because that's just the way the world is. I think Lila is going to end up killing Rick, but she'll manipulate the situation so Jenna doesn't realize that Lila was the mastermind. Maybe at the end she will, but by then Rick will be dead and she'll be stuck with a psycho.

The neighbour waiting till Purge night was stupid, but I can imagine people being petty and thinking that this is the night to let out their frustrations. It's like Hell Girl, instead of solving your problems in a proper way people will go for the easy option even if it ruins them.

I think Miguel is going to die and Penelope will realize that she wants to live. Maybe she'll join the matrons. That would be nice.

I don't trust Lila, either. I wonder if Jenna will end up killing her or her husband, by the end of the night. 

• Love 2

Not that I don't appreciate a good Baldwin killing, but he still had my favorite line.

David, to a tied up Jane he's about to molest-- "Jane, please, you're making this weird"

• Love 7

I didn't get to watch the end of "Rise Up" before. I've just found it again, and clicked to the part where they're trying to escape the party. So I take back the possibility that the employees were allowed to purge. I prefer the uprising angle, but I'm sure that we'll see Reed Diamond again.

I don't understand why Rick said that Jenna left him behind to die - unless I missed something. The maid let them both out of the house. 

3 hours ago, Anela said:

I didn't get to watch the end of "Rise Up" before. I've just found it again, and clicked to the part where they're trying to escape the party. So I take back the possibility that the employees were allowed to purge. I prefer the uprising angle, but I'm sure that we'll see Reed Diamond again.

I don't understand why Rick said that Jenna left him behind to die - unless I missed something. The maid let them both out of the house. 

The maid told Jenna to go away and leave, because something bad would happen. She looked at Rick, then went up to get Lila. Rick only ended up being saved, because Stanten (the old guy) told him to get his wife.

• Love 2

Looks like Janie's got a gun! I mean, the Purge is bad and all, but if someone has to be Purged, it might as well be the creepiest Baldwin.

It seems like the Rick/Lila/Jenna triangle is pretty much inevitably going to end in violence. Its pretty clear that Jenna is super into Lila, and Rick knows it. And I think Lila is up to something. All three of them are a mess, just in different ways. 

Miguel and Penelope are just constantly out of the frying pan and into the fire, huh? Everywhere they turn is some new merry band of freaks trying to kill them.

• Love 2
On October 17, 2018 at 10:43 AM, CheezyXpressed said:

I agree I don't think Jane is safe at all. 

The Vigilante lost his job to downsizing.  The public face on that was a woman. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Jane was the mastermind behind that factory closing. That's why he is tracking her. 

Edited by Macbeth
  • Love 6

Damn, Lee Tergesen's character is purging on those people I thought he was saving. I guess we will find out why he chose them, but that sucks. I hope they team up and rip him a new one.

At the rate this night is going, Jenna will be lucky not to miscarry.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

Damn it, Penelope and Miguel were so freaking close! Its always something! Good riddance to cult leader lady, but not sure how much better things will be with Lee Tergesen. I dont think that he is planning on purging them, exactly, but he is planning something that brings the whole cast together to wrap the show up. Excited to see everyone interact, and maybe team up to escape, or deal with whatever is happening next! 

How many people can one actually kill with knives on roller skates? 

The ex cop seems to be confirming what I've been suspecting, that all the stats about how crime is so down because of The Purge might be NFF propaganda. As he said, most crimes cops deal with have nothing to do with just being angry and violent, so why would this even put that big of a dent into crime rates? I wonder is he might team up with Miguel to take down some bad guys. 

I so knew that something was up with Lila. That love triangle was inevitably going to end with blood shed. 

Honestly, I am kind of surprised at how much I like this show. 

• Love 7

Up until the last five minutes the show was excruciatingly boring, to focus a nearly entire episode on The Vapid Threesome and The Suicide Cultist was a huge mistake.

Penelope has to be one of the dumbest characters in recent TV dramas, she's not only dumb she gets dumber every episode!  From abusive boyfriend to suicide cult to walking around Purge Night armed with only a Pete's Cantina T-shirt!

Last five minutes redeemed the whole season, I finally have someone to root for:  Lee Tergesen (sorry, don't know character's name).  Purge away, Lee!  Purge away!

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 4

I thought for sure Lila would turn and shoot her father, "Surprise, Dad!" but nope. Too bad, she dead now. Lied a whole bunch, think she was probably crazy, too.

Is it just me or does anyone else think Penelope has got to be the dumbest person on the streets the night of the Purge? Her luck gonna run out real soon. She'll have her salvation after all!

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Ms Lark said:

I thought for sure Lila would turn and shoot her father

Wasn't that a pre-Purge night flashback?

6 minutes ago, Ms Lark said:

Is it just me or does anyone else think Penelope has got to be the dumbest person on the streets the night of the Purge? 

It's not just you!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

The ex cop seems to be confirming what I've been suspecting, that all the stats about how crime is so down because of The Purge might be NFF propaganda.

They've mentioned that in the movies, that the purge is bullshit and doesn't work.  The NFFA send out government kill squads to make the Purge look better by killing more "undesirables".

I'm wondering if Joe is working with the NFFA.  He's went after Jane (who hired somebody to kill her rich boss), Penelope (who has went against Tavis), and Jenna and Rick (who escaped the massacre at the mansion, and wouldn't purge).  Those are all people who would have made the NFFA not happy.  And with killing Tavis, she was expendable after what Penelope said, and this could martyr her.

• Love 4
On 10/3/2018 at 8:01 AM, Chaos Theory said:

It’s about getting off.  Some people don’t get off by shooting people.  They need the closer contact.

At the end of the episode as he pulling Jenna to his truck when he get to the curb did she pee herself it looks like something discharged

Showbox apk watch new movies and shows thats how i watch when i miss a show

Ha!  I love this show so much.  Penelope is just one step forward three steps back isn’t she?  Her motivation was in the right place trying to save her friends she just went about it in a really dumb way.

Damn it Lila you turned out to be a crazy bitch didn’t you?  I still think you are hot and would prefer you over Rich but that says more about me.  

I am glad Pete the cop didn’t get killed.

• Love 3

Damn Jenna! There's a time and place when you dump someone and it doesn't happen on purge night. Lila just lost her entire family and went to you guys and then you dump her after she saved your life? Despite what Lila said about Rick manipulating Jenna, I felt like Jenna manipulates those around her. Whether it's intentional or not, she's the one who has done it the most in this love triangle. Rick is whipped and does whatever Jenna wants and Lila is similar. I almost suspected that she pit the two of them against each other so she could be free of both. I was surprised when Jenna actually killed Lila. Though, I don't think she's dead. I dunno.

Stupid Penelope. It's honourable that you want to save your friends, but you always go out with your plot protection brother. Without him, you'll only be caught and/or die as a result.

Joe being evil makes sense. People who wear masks on Purge night usually like to go purging. Seeing as how we didn't see Jane during most of the episode helped seal this deal. I guess this means everyone is together though.

I was happy to see cult youth leader back. It's a shame she died, but it was nice seeing her again.

Next week looks good. I really hope we get to see what happens after the purge ends and everyone goes back to their lives.

• Love 3

So Lila was crazy CRAZY and it was all triggered by her first purge when she was 18!!!!

Penelope deserves to die at this point. Stupid people should not be allowed to survive Purge night.

I had a feeling that Joe was not all that he seemed and now it's been confirmed. I wish all the captives (except Penelope) the best of luck in their quest to escape.

Edited by kdm07
  • Love 6