Type keyword(s) to search

The Purge - General Discussion

• Start Topic

They should have spent more time explaining how and why "The Purge" came about. It looks like they are going to spend most of their time focused on 3 groups of people. It might have been nice to show how this is perceived and affects people of different socioeconomic status (rich, middle class, poor, homeless).

• Love 9

I liked it enough to keep going. I always thought the original movie had a lot of interesting material to be mined so this might just do it. The weird rich people party has me most intrigued, the serial killer masks were creepy AF. 

• Love 7

It's okay. I suppose we're supposed to expect the husband to start killing people, maybe the girl he didn't want to see at the party. The maid was kind of creepy, and I wonder if the servants are planning to purge the hosts, and party-goers. That line, "You're a lifesaver"- maybe not, unless she does help her again later on.

I expect teen girl and her brother to make it, or her brother to sacrifice himself for her. 

That poor kid, realizing that he was really going to be hacked to death. *shiver* 

• Love 4

I really liked the movies.  The only one I haven't seen yet is the First Purge.   The Pilot had everything I like about the movies and a whole lot more.  I think I am going to like the Business Lady storyline.  The lady who hired an assassin to kill her boss most of all.  Plus the rich couple are going to be fun.  I know he gets alot of acclaim from alot of people but honestly the least interesting story for me is the brother looking for his sister.  That just seems blah to me.  

This is going to be so much fun watching everyone devolve into anarchy.  

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I really liked the movies.  The only one I haven't seen yet is the First Purge.   The Pilot had everything I like about the movies and a whole lot more.  I think I am going to like the Business Lady storyline.  The lady who hired an assassin to kill her boss most of all.  Plus the rich couple are going to be fun.  I know he gets alot of acclaim from alot of people but honestly the least interesting story for me is the brother looking for his sister.  That just seems blah to me.  

This is going to be so much fun watching everyone devolve into anarchy.  

The First Purge depicts what the previous films hinted at.

The TRUE purpose and targeted Demographic it was created for. 

• Love 4
On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:55 PM, Chaos Theory said:

I think I am going to like the Business Lady storyline.  The lady who hired an assassin to kill her boss most of all.

There was something very off about the boss' call to the conference room.  It was like it was pre recorded.  It was set up to react to typical responses but the timing was a little off.  And I think Jane slipped up at the end of it. 

Boss: Jane the room is yours I'll get out of your way now.

Jane: I forgot that you were the eavesdropping type, David.

Boss: You know I'm always watching and listening Jane. Talk later.  Keep me posted.

Jane's response is out of context like its supposed to follow his next statement but she jumped the gun.  But put her statement at the end and his statements don't follow any real flow.  The last two lines feel like they should be at the start of the conference call when he surprises them, not the end.

It feels very spliced together.   So I'm thinking, well this is some shitty editing for a TV show.

Then Jane hires someone to purge her boss and now I'm thinking:

-Jane, in the heat of passion, killed her boss before the Purge.

- Now she is trying to cover it up like he was killed in the Purge,

-She just needs a room of people who didn't work the Purge night where this call was made, technology to insert the name of the current project, and a hired killer to "purge" her boss but she has it done remotely like through arson so she isn't found out. Jane is the only one that knows he died before the purge.  I think that is her plan.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, ParadoxLost said:

-Jane, in the heat of passion, killed her boss before the Purge.

Ah the old Pre-Purge Surge! Classic Move! I would like to see them do different crimes than just hitting people over the head with a baseball bat. All crime is legal, yet everybody only wants to murder.

If I was controlling the government, I would just shoot anybody that was outside during the Purge. I think that would put an end to most of the problem people in the society.

• Love 7

Wouldn't there be massive mayhem and destruction of the society if an actual purge happened?

MASSIVE killings, ex-military veterans who would create bombs, maybe even drop bombs from aircraft, huge property damage, attacks on buildings, stadiums, complexes, colleges, etc., attacks on the infrastructure (roads, bridges, airports, the electrical grid). Yahoos who couldn't stop their destruction after 12 hours, as if they were turning off a switch. 

What has been portrayed in the purges of the movies and show would be a drop in the bucket compared to the destruction in an actual purge.

Our country and society would not survive it.

• Love 12

The Purge is a 12 hour period from 7pm to 7am during which all previously criminal activity is now legal. The emergency services (police, EMTs, etc.) are suspended. The only exceptions are that government officials of “rank 10 or higher” cannot be harmed and you can only use weapons below “Class 4”.

Class IV Weapons - The last and highest class of Weapons, sometimes referred to as Class 4, covers what the NFA calls, Destructive Devices or DD's. Destructive Devices are bombs, grenades, nuclear weapons, flame throwers, dynamite, rocket launchers, tanks, Javelin Missile Launcher, Harrier Jets, and so on and so forth.

• Love 5
On 9/7/2018 at 1:05 AM, BigDfromLA said:

Wouldn't there be massive mayhem and destruction of the society if an actual purge happened?

MASSIVE killings, ex-military veterans who would create bombs, maybe even drop bombs from aircraft, huge property damage, attacks on buildings, stadiums, complexes, colleges, etc., attacks on the infrastructure (roads, bridges, airports, the electrical grid). Yahoos who couldn't stop their destruction after 12 hours, as if they were turning off a switch. 

What has been portrayed in the purges of the movies and show would be a drop in the bucket compared to the destruction in an actual purge.

The Purge could not happen in any human society, ever. No psychopathic killer is going to choose the one night out of the year that everybody else will be spending huddled in their living room with guns at the ready, to stage a home invasion, notwithstanding that it’s temporarily legal. The kind of people who kill other humans for fun don’t care if it’s legal, they do care about getting shot.

What would happen if you had a twelve-hour window when “all crime is legal?” Bank accounts disappear electronically. Corporations dump the toxic waste they’ve been hoarding all year into the ocean.

• Love 12

My guess there are rules and strict consequences if you break them.  We already know from the pilot there are safety zones and from the original movie and the pilot rich people buy security systems to keep the purgers out.  As for bombers there probably are some but my guess is that the planes and the really explosive explosives are locked up.  Anyone who dies something toooooo horrible would be disposed of or the law would step in.  This was and us set up to keep the lower classes in check.  It was made quite clear that hospitals are safety zones but poor rehab centers are not.  

And it Crime does actually go down then people are more suspectible to heavy sentences for those who don’t follow the rules.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
On 7/9/2018 at 8:05 AM, BigDfromLA said:

"Weapons of class 4 and lower have been authorized for use during the Purge. All other weapons are restricted." 

So, weapons of "Class 4" and below are permitted for use while "Class 5" weaponry (explosive devices such as grenades, rocket launchers, bazookas, etc., weapons of mass destruction, and viral/biological and chemical agents) is prohibited.

Edited by Zaku
  • Love 2

If I was stuck in Purge world, I would just gather a group of friends for Purge night, buy stupid costumes, get a bunch of machetes, slather them with fake blood, then spend the night skipping around acting creepy. Since none of these roving bands of freaks ever seem to attack each other, we should be just fine, without actually having to hurt anyone OR get killed! 

• Love 8

I watched the first two Purge movies and thought they were ok but other than that I didn't feel anything else.  I watched the first episode of this show and wound up feeling like I needed to take a shower to get the stench off me.  I'm out. 

• Love 1

Methinks Jane might regret leaving the safety of the 38th floor. I’m also curious to know what went down with the couple and their third. I mean if you’re going to have threesomes in your town, you gotta be prepared to maybe see that person again. Other than that, I got nothing. 

Okay I take that back. It should be illegal for kids to purge and to kill kids; they know not what they are doing. With their brains not being fully formed and all. That bus load of kids is going to regret signing up to be violently axed to death.

• Love 3

So the blue murder bus of stupid death has a route.  Interesting.  Also interesting that the “purged upon” can’t chsnge their minds.  Seems more and more death culty.

Heh Miguel and the gauntlet.  At least he didn’t forget the password.  I would have.  Also interesting that “rules” have popped up over time.  Which makes sense.  

Also can I purge whoever decided to put in so many commercials.  Although I did like the fake one for Purge Away and the Purge Shopping Network.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 6

For the sake of ranking I'm dividing the storylines into: Jane, The Couple, The Marine, The Blue Bus Cult, and Lee Tergesen (was he in last week's episode? I totally missed him). 

What I'm Interested In (from most to least): 

1. Jane
  2. Lee Tergesen
  3. The Couple
  4. The Blue Bus Cult
  5. creepy masks
  6. misc office stuff in Jane's storyline
  7. ubiquitous fire in trash cans
  8. randomly wet streets 
  9. the car The Marine won
  10. The Marine
  • Love 1

The Blue Bus Cult: I was wondering if the woman sold the members of the cult to the people waiting patiently at the right corners at the right time. This is why she had a no substitutions rule. The customers must get exactly what they paid for.

Would have loved to have seen other types of crime explored. Everything shown is from a senseless violence/murder angle which keeps the show from being truly compelling. Showing white collar, hackers, business men committing numerous crimes and exploiting the Purge Day for their benefit might provide answers to why the law was really passed.

• Love 6

Okay, i have seen all of the movies except the first one released.  In the episode when they say class 4 weapons are excluded and hospitals are safety zones.  If law enforcement basically takes off for 12 hours, how is the weapon restriction monitored and violaters arrested?  Who protects hospitals?  Why if the purge is legal so we assume no one in law enforcement would not purge.  As much pent up agression as it is assumed the general populace contains you know police officers would want to partake.

Jane - the ultimate story of climbing the corporate ladder, in a real purge how many managers would be safe?  Create the vacancy, lol .  And why not have advertisements for Purge vacation specials.  Canada and Mexico could make a fortune offering special tourist rates for the week of the purge.  

Why do people wait until the last hour to try an purge proof their houses or businesses?  Purge protection services, those rates would be astronomical.

• Love 8

I'm enjoying the series.  I like the more developed story lines.  As for the couple at the party, just a few comments that Lilly/Lila made lead me to think something violent happened to her when they were having their three-some.

I'm here for the entire "limited run" series.  I did like that we saw some of the violence through Miguel's night-vision goggles so it wasn't as gory as it could have been.  I do like Miguel and was glad he made it through the gauntlet.  I think that he may end up entering the story line of the party as they all watched him run the gauntlet and it feels like that should come full circle.

I don't really care about the couple who are at the party only to get money; for all of their 'we don't even belong to the NFFP' talk, they are still there trying to get money which implies a complicit relationship.    

• Love 3

I would think there would be a lot more raping going on, but they haven't even mentioned that. Everyone appears to be more into the bloodshed. With all crime being legal, my main concern would be the kids with asshole parents. That would give me nightmares.

• Love 4

In all honesty I think the people who go out all the time to murder by the time ten years go by would be preying on each other or stragglers and people unable to protect themselves due to financial issues.

The real dangerous people would be the people like Jane with a grudge.   The guy who wants to kill his wife instead of getting a divorce.  The wife who catches her husband cheating.    

The ones who consider The Purge a holiday probably do follow the rules both written and unwritten because they have fun killing people like Miguel’s idiot sister or have built up territories and gangs over the years like the Gauntlet Guy or Pete The Cop.  

And yeah there are probs preople who use the time to go on rape sprees but murder is far more interesting to show on tv.

• Love 3

I feel like in a real Purge style situation, it would be a lot of people stealing stuff, downloading illegal movies and such, hacking, white color crimes, scientists working without having to deal with rules, people doing and selling TONS of drugs, stuff like that, not running around hacking up random people with machetes. In fact, in the last Purge movie, which is a prequel, 

Spoiler

thats more or less how the first Purge went. Lots of people stealing stuff, and having drug orgies, not killing or even really hurting people. The government had to send out mercenaries squads to actually start killing "undesirables", which is the actual reason this thing exists. 

but I guess people getting killed by weirdos in masks makes for more horror. 

I do like that they are getting into more aspects of The Purge (assassins who take out hits on purge night, speakeasy style places, the death cult, cheap murder TV shows), and I am still liking all the stories, and I want to see if they ever end up crossing in with each other. 

Interesting to note that even Purgers respect certain rules, like not hurting the volunteer medics, and more organized activities also exist like the Gauntlet (complete with hashtags!) and the death bus. Like the history teacher/purge medic said, as much as Purgers love to wax on about freedom, even with no rules, certain unwritten rules will just happen naturally.

• Love 7

See that’s the thing.  The little things like buying and selling drugs why bother wasting a perfectly good murder day to do it?    Illegal science takes time so again why waste it?   Like with episode 3 I would use the day to get that wanted promotion by killing off the competition.  Or heck even like with rich NFFA guy avoid lawyers and just kill the dude who has been robbing you.  See people steal.  even other days.   My guess  Rick and Jenna used the day as a free pass for things like adultery if they used it at all.   But again murder is the obvious thing to go for with a side of home invasion robbery and looting.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

I feel like I missed something. What was the weird voice over at the end? Why did the stabby coworker with the scissors killing her competition seem insane or on drugs or something? Why would the other co worker turn her back on said insane seeming stabby co worker? What was with the rescue troop at the end? Why am I so confused? Lol 

The nun get ups were fabulous! I’m sure I’ll be seeing those this October 31! 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, sadie said:

What was the weird voice over at the end?

I thought it was the interior musings of the character played by Lee Tergesen.

1 hour ago, sadie said:

Why would the other co worker turn her back on said insane seeming stabby co worker?

Do you mean Jane, stabby's boss?

Edited by sugarbaker design
19 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

I thought it was the interior musings of the character played by Lee Tergesen.

Do you mean Jane, stabby's boss?

Yes, Jane, stabby’s boss! Hahahahaha. I guess I’m missing all kinds of things like names. I’m flunking my Purge exam. 

• Love 1

l liked that Jane seemed so repulsed by the intern's killing of the other intern to get the promotion when Jane herself did the same.  Of course, the intern figured that out and knew that Jane wouldn't be able to say no to the promotion.  It was an interesting story line as it shows the ripple effect of an action (Jane's).

• Love 5
On 9/13/2018 at 12:19 PM, tennisgurl said:

I feel like in a real Purge style situation, it would be a lot of people stealing stuff, downloading illegal movies and such, hacking, white color crimes, scientists working without having to deal with rules, people doing and selling TONS of drugs, stuff like that, not running around hacking up random people with machetes. In fact, in the last Purge movie, which is a prequel, 

Reveal hidden contents

thats more or less how the first Purge went. Lots of people stealing stuff, and having drug orgies, not killing or even really hurting people. The government had to send out mercenaries squads to actually start killing "undesirables", which is the actual reason this thing exists. 

but I guess people getting killed by weirdos in masks makes for more horror. 

I do like that they are getting into more aspects of The Purge (assassins who take out hits on purge night, speakeasy style places, the death cult, cheap murder TV shows), and I am still liking all the stories, and I want to see if they ever end up crossing in with each other. 

Interesting to note that even Purgers respect certain rules, like not hurting the volunteer medics, and more organized activities also exist like the Gauntlet (complete with hashtags!) and the death bus. Like the history teacher/purge medic said, as much as Purgers love to wax on about freedom, even with no rules, certain unwritten rules will just happen naturally.

I think that's what executive lady might be up to along with a side of murder to cover her scheme. But yes it's not all about murder and mayhem if all crime is legal any building with cash and drugs would be a huge target. As would weapons and explosives storage, Maybe can't use them but is there a purge law against stealing them? 

Were the nuns in other purge movies, I haven't seen all of them yet. I like the glow in the dark trim effect. Was the brother and sister's parents killed by the businessman at the party? He apparently made a deal involving real estate. Were the parents killed or purged for eviction purposes?

By the end of series you figure the ex cop will provide a little more assistance.

• Love 2

One of the movies Purge Election Day made it clear that Politicians were off limits.  The first movie was a home invasion movie with a rich guy who sold Purge proofing for houses.  The tv show has hinted that there might be off limit places both written and unwritten.  If I was the government I would definitely down all planes for the day and lock up airports fir the night and hire security like at Jane’s office.    

It’s been hinted at by the show itself but there is probably an economy all itself on Purge night and after ten years people have been making a lot of money off of it if they do it right.   Just fir one night guard your local CVS and make enough money to last the year. 

• Love 2

The nun get ups were super creepy! The glow on the bus was a nice touch as well. Of course Penelope gets taken off the bus right as her brother gets to it. The search continues! It sounds like the people who killed their parents weren't just crazy idiots, but were some kind of military operation. 

Spoiler

Which does continue to line up with the prequel movie. 

I guess when your boss is having people killed, you can go ahead and cut to the chase with your own promotion! And of course Jane is horrified by that, even as she waits to get conformation about her own murder. 

I do wonder now if the maid is up to something, especially when she was saying how they should make a better world for their children. Maybe she and the other domestic help are going to poison everyone? 

• Love 3

I'm watching right now. The only story I'm interested in, is Jane's. I wonder if the hitwoman will really kill her boss, or if she will get more money out of him, and come back to kill Jane. Maybe I've just watched and read too many things with "twists" in them.

• Love 2
On 9/20/2018 at 12:42 PM, tennisgurl said:

I do wonder now if the maid is up to something, especially when she was saying how they should make a better world for their children. Maybe she and the other domestic help are going to poison everyone? 

That was my thought, as I watched the first episode. Or if they have weapons hidden somewhere. 

1 minute ago, Neurochick said:

It would be interesting if Jane killed her boss before Purge night, and then used the Purge to cover it up.  How do we know the video of Riker is from that very night?

It looked like she was going to warn him, though. Regretting her decision. Or was I imagining that?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Maybe the servants of the Stantons will end up poisoning everybody at the party, hey, it's Purge night, all crime is legal!

Not all crime, government officials of “rank 10 or higher” cannot be harmed. I think the Stantons might be immune from Purging.

11 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Not all crime, government officials of “rank 10 or higher” cannot be harmed. I think the Stantons might be immune from Purging.

I don’t think they’re government officials.  I think Stanton is just a garden variety rich asshole guy.  

But I do love me some Reed Diamond.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Neurochick said:
4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I don’t think they’re government officials.  I think Stanton is just a garden variety rich asshole guy.  

I thought this was a party thrown by The New Founding Fathers of America (NFFA), which were the ones that created the new law.

• Love 1
On September 21, 2018 at 6:49 PM, Neurochick said:

I do too. He is always an A+ addition to any story. 

And for me he is keeping this story interesting which given the nature of this story shouldn't have been hard to do. 

The couple, while pretty are boring with repeated dialogue  about closing the deal and stupid (going to a party where they apparently hurt the host's daughter on the night of the purge).

• Love 2

Its episode 4 and Jane has left the building and run into the ladies who purge.  And that is going to be fun.

Is it just me or does anyone else really want to purge on Penelope? 

Jenna/Rick/Lita has gotten really interesting and I am thinking its going to implode really really. I mean its purge night so one or all of them are going to end up dead.  I am actually kinda hoping the show ends with Jenna and Lita together because Rick is a douche.  I was however surprised that the show did actually go with the fact that Jenna was in love with Lita at one point.  

• Love 3
On 9/21/2018 at 3:14 PM, Anela said:

It looked like she was going to warn him, though. Regretting her decision. Or was I imagining that?

I thought the same. She regretted putting the hit on him after seeing her dead employee.

I think that Rick is dead one way or the other. Maybe he tries to kill Jenna and Lita kills him or he tries to kill Lita and Jenna kills him.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

So, Miguel shows the dilemma of do you condone someone else's evil in order to accomplish a good?  I was surprised that the cowboy was a collector and it was interesting to watch Miguel's face as he figured it out.  I like how they do weave in some ethical dilemmas into the story line.

• Love 5