Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E24: All of Me

• Start Topic

I liked Jackson's scene with Matthew; just two guys trying to make the best of an awkward situation because they both care for April. Kinda refreshing.

I'll sheepishly admit I teared up when I heard Sara Ramirez' voice. But if  anyone mentions it  tomorrow, I'll deny it. :)

• Love 14

Well...if you made a Grey's Anatomy finale bingo card, or made up your very own drinking game, you would likely have won and be super drunk, because this episode pretty much covered every one of fan's predictions, so there was a whole lot of schmaltz and very little surprise.

1. April and Matthew got married (for real this time). I'll never get behind this relationship, but it's better than killing April off. But I'll always believe that this whole thing was only thrown together after Sarah was let go, and this was not some long envisioned love story for April. 

2. Callie is making overtures to Arizona (so presumably they'll reunite offscreen).

3. Teddy is pregnant. 

4. Hellmouth wants to screw Merideth. 

5. Glasses made an ass of himself yet again (seriously, how is this guy still in the surgery program? He really will get someone killed soon enough).

6. Amelia wants her ex husband back (after proving over and over again why this couple doesn't work). 

I don't understand couples in real life who break up and reconcile over and over again, and for the most part (with only a few exceptions), I don't like it when shows play the relationship merry go round over and over again, like they spend all their time building a couple up, only to tear them down after they get together. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

If Callie is single,  why couldn't she move back to Seattle to be close to Sofia. I'm guessing she could get her job back.

I know the actress is unavailable and Arizona is being written, but it seems like a plot hole.

Maybe she liked NY or she's under contract at her new hospital with a non-compete clause?  I'd imagine once people leave Seattle Grace Mercy Death, they discover a healthy sense of safety and security and don't have a strong desire to go back. 

Unless you're Teddy. But she has her reasons to be back. 

• Love 6

Meredith paraphrasing Cristina’s “He’s not the Sun - you are” for Alex w/r/t Jo was one of my favorite moments tonight.

I’m not going to lie - I thoroughly loved this finale. It moved quickly, the dialogue was crisp, and the comedic moments well played. I’m indifferent to Jolex, but enjoyed all their scenes this evening. Little things like all the April touches for the reception and Dahlia drinking punch whilst the other interns did shots added to my delight. I was pleased by all the outdoor settings, especially the ferry. I wept through the weddings, culminating in super ugly tears when I realized it was the Sara Ramirez version of “The Story” playing in the background. 

I thought this season was strongest since 10 - maybe since Season 6. I said early on that Krista was tidying up the previous seasons’ messes, by doing her best to work in those previous storylines, instead of pretending like they never happened. I stand by that assessment, and look forward to season 15. 

• Love 21
3 hours ago, Lovecat said:

Nope, unless a) there is a courthouse on Bainbridge to issue a marriage license; and b) there is no waiting period in Washington State.

ETA: Mr. Google tells me there’s a 3-day waiting period in Washington, so no, not legally married.

Yes, we do have a court house on Bainbridge.  But no hospital ;)

Otherwise, that wasn't one of our ferry boats -- and even if you don't live here, you guys probably knew that, having seen the real thing on the show many times.

• Love 3
(edited)

I wondered why the interns and Carina DeLuca were even at the wedding - neither Alex nor Jo were particularly attached to any of them - and then I wondered why there wasn't any reference to Cristina and her regret that she couldn't be there to see her Evil Spawn get married. Hee!

Now that Arizona is gone Meredith is the only one left of the plane crash six.

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 17
2 hours ago, kurtz said:

Meredith paraphrasing Cristina’s “He’s not the Sun - you are” for Alex w/r/t Jo was one of my favorite moments tonight.

I’m not going to lie - I thoroughly loved this finale. It moved quickly, the dialogue was crisp, and the comedic moments well played. I’m indifferent to Jolex, but enjoyed all their scenes this evening. Little things like all the April touches for the reception and Dahlia drinking punch whilst the other interns did shots added to my delight. I was pleased by all the outdoor settings, especially the ferry. I wept through the weddings, culminating in super ugly tears when I realized it was the Sara Ramirez version of “The Story” playing in the background. 

I thought this season was strongest since 10 - maybe since Season 6. I said early on that Krista was tidying up the previous seasons’ messes, by doing her best to work in those previous storylines, instead of pretending like they never happened. I stand by that assessment, and look forward to season 15. 

Overall, I agree with you. My two biggest complaints are as follows; As finales go, there weren't enough unanswered questions or cliffhangers to leave me on the edge of my seat & counting the days until the show returns in the fall. On some level, I think that was a mistake, especially this year, given how much fan anger there is regarding the firing of Jessica Capshaw & Sarah Drew. Angry fans need a reason to return, and I don't see Teddy doing that. In fact, there's a fair bit of anger about Teddy's return, because people are suggesting Vernoff chose her over Capshaw & Drew. 

Were this just a regular episode of Grey's it would've been pretty much perfect. Loved the pacing. Loved the humour. Loved the acting from everyone. It was an all around entertaining hour of TV, a few flaws not withstanding. 

I'm thrilled that it looks like Calzona are going to try again. The frustration for me is not knowing if Sara Ramirez wasn't on the episode because she said no, or because they didn't ask. i think it's a big plot hole that they didn't address why Calzona need to live in NY (as opposed to Seattle), given that Penny & Callie are over. It would've been easy, and it would've fleshed out the April/Webber/Arizona scene... have Arizona both say what she did about Callie, and also elaborate on how supportive Callie's being... that Callie might've returned to Seattle, but the project with Herman is now set to be in New York, so it's best for Arizona to be in New York. As Arizona's ambition always scared Callie, that kind of thing would show growth & strengthen the audience's hopes for Calzona's offscreen future. 

I can't get over how much Alex & Jo have grown on me, individually & as a couple. 

The bit with Bailey was predictable, but I'll take it. 

I'm unsure what to think about Teddy being pregnant. It is just so damned cliched. 

I'm in the minority in that I don't love JApril & I did love April/Matthew. It worked for me because I did think they laid groundwork for it earlier in the season..  like April telling the one girl she needs to accept the guy's prom proposal. I could see then they were going to imply that April took Matthew for granted.

• Love 5

I'll start with Calzona. For someone who has invested years in loving Calzona, this was the best possible endgame scenario I could ask for. While the scenario is open ended, I love that it is not rushed. The beauty of calzona lies in their history and I kind of loved that not everything was just erased, it was just about moving past it and feel those butterflies again. 

I had forgotten what an power boom sara ramirez's voice is. I had goose bumps throughout that ending scene. Bless that lady's voice.

Jolex got the sort of wedding I always imagined they will get. The big fancy wedding was never their thing. I liked the humour around it and Justin and Camilla played in beautifully. I was kind of bummed about how much Meredith thinks she 'owns' Alex but was relived when she came around and understood that she was being selfish. On other hand I liked Arizona giving the pep talk to Alex and their sort of good bye scene.

While I'm done with Deluca be all sobby about Sam, I just love Helms and her crush on Meredith. It's just so funny.

Nothing can ever convince me that Owen Hunt deserves any woman his life and so therefore of course he will get two. I liked his scenes with Leo, he makes an adorable dad but how about we draw a line just there. Why Greys have this dying need to throw powerful women after powerful women at his character to showcase his manpain? Ugh. This would be a sl I'm so not looking forward to next season. (Also what's the point of getting rid of two characters and bringing in one more?)

April and Matthew, it couldn't have been more out of place. They could have just shown them starting to like each other or even falling a little for each other but nope they had to go for an full blown wedding (and that too with Jackson's blessings). Also, really? Nothing lavishing career wise for April either? That's just character disservice at some whole new level. Even when Teddy left, she got a Head position in MEDCOM, and literally nothing for April? I'll be bummed over this for forever.

Bonus points to Greys for putting Sofia and Zola as flower girls. Those two were so adorable in that yellow dress.

All in all I loved the cast pouring their love for Jessica and Sarah. Saw an video from table read where everyone were crying and there were so many BTS pics by everyone that i am some where content knowing that Jessica and Sarah left the studios knowing they are loved, respected and cherished. 

• Love 15
5 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

They never mentioned that Callie was single until tonight. I wonder if that was Sofia’s plan all along, to ask to live with Arizona and then convince her to move back to New York to be near Callie. 

Parent trap much. Lol

5 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

If Callie is single,  why couldn't she move back to Seattle to be close to Sofia. I'm guessing she could get her job back.

I know the actress is unavailable and Arizona is being written, but it seems like a plot hole.

she probably bounded by some contract in NY maybe? They should have thrown a line about that.

• Love 2
(edited)

My random thoughts during the episode and reading the comments here...

Didn't someone on here call it that Teddy was going to wind up pregnant? As soon as I saw her name in the beginning credits I knew they were right.

I'm so glad nobody died! 

I think the ferry boat wedding fit Alex and Jo more than what was originally planned. Not that they are super into ferry boats, but they are more "rough" than their original wedding scene. And the two of them sneaking off to have sex is totally them along with laughing about the skeleton in the shed with them. 

I won't comment on Jo getting the fellowship because I don't want her or Alex to leave.

Who was the little girl running around with Zola and Sophia? It drove me nuts that I didn't know which doctor/nurse were her parents. lol 

If April and Matthew had met when his wife died, I would have said them getting married now was too soon, but if you count how long they've known each other since first meeting it's not that bad. And I know it's the license, not the ceremony that makes a marriage true, but I think for these 2, the ceremony was their thing and made it real to them because it was so long coming (if again you count back from when they first were engaged).

How can Glasses be a surgeon when he doesn't like the sight of blood? Seriously. Seriously! (sidenote: that whole "seriously" bit has to be my favorite thing ever even if George had a part in it and I couldn't stand him.)

It was mentioned months ago, maybe even last season, that Callie and Blake had broken up and that she was single again. 

Here's an article on the "in memory of" women, Shandra “Sha” Page Edwards and Suzanne Patmore Gibbs. Edwards worked on the show as a hair stylist and I'm not sure how she passed. Gibbs was a tv executive who passed away from complications stemming from a hernia surgery in March. http://people.com/tv/greys-anatomy-finale-tributes-suzanne-patmore-gibbs-shandra-page-edwards/

ETA: Thank goodness Alex's mom did not come to the wedding. All the craziness that happened would have sent her off her routine for sure.

Edited by beaunicorn
thought of something else
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, beaunicorn said:

If April and Matthew had met when his wife died, I would have said them getting married now was too soon, but if you count how long they've known each other since first meeting it's not that bad. And I know it's the license, not the ceremony that makes a marriage true, but I think for these 2, the ceremony was their thing and made it real to them because it was so long coming (if again you count back from when they first were engaged).

After April ran out of that church with Jackson, as far as I'm aware she and Matthew did not see or talk to each other until the day April was all up his wife's lady parts. She and Matthew knew each other five years ago, but they haven't known each other for five years. They had nothing to do with each other in that intervening time and they're not the same people they were then, and back then they hadn't known each other for terribly long either. So in this new relationship they are getting to know each other all over again as if for the first time because it might as well be, and it is early for them to be rushing into an engagement let alone to the altar the same day (even though they have no license but, teevee). My issue with them, though, remains that it's been too soon since his wife died for them to have gotten together at all -- even though the show has been very coy about just how long it's been. It's not the idea that April rushed into getting married to a guy she only started dating again for a few months -- after all, they were only together for a few months when they got engaged the first time, and I'm actually okay with that in general although here out of nowhere it's a lame, thrown-together way to end her character's story. I'm most concerned about April rushing to get married to a guy she's been dating just a few months after his previous wife died. They got married after only a few months of a relationship that began only a few months after he lost his wife. We want to root for these two crazy lovebirds because we know them and love them, but on paper everything about this is actually kind of icky.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 12
14 minutes ago, Chicken Wing said:

After April ran out of that church with Jackson, as far as I'm aware she and Matthew did not see or talk to each other until the day April was all up his wife's lady parts. She and Matthew knew each other five years ago, but they haven't known each other for five years. They had nothing to do with each other in that intervening time and they're not the same people they were then, and back then they hadn't known each other for terribly long either. So in this new relationship they are getting to know each other all over again as if for the first time because it might as well be, and it is early for them to be rushing into an engagement let alone to the altar the same day (even though they have no license but, teevee). My issue with them, though, remains that it's been too soon since his wife died for them to have gotten together at all -- even though the show has been very coy about just how long it's been. It's not the idea that April rushed into getting married to a guy she only started dating again for a few months -- after all, they were only together for a few months when they got engaged the first time, and I'm actually okay with that in general although here out of nowhere it's a lame, thrown-together way to end her character's story. I'm most concerned about April rushing to get married to a guy she's been dating just a few months after his previous wife died. We want to root for these two crazy lovebirds because we know them and love them, but on paper everything about this is actually kind of icky.

Yeah, that's all true. I was just thinking in terms of how long since they'd first met rather than how well they know each other now. But if the 2 of them were sneaking off a lot (instead of going to other hospitals to work together, or wherever everyone thought she was going the day of the accident), maybe that gave them plenty of time to get to know each other all over again? I wish they would give us more clues as to the time jumps between episodes. We know it's been roughly a month since April and Matthew's car accident. And Ruby seemed to be anywhere from 3-6 months old when Matthew brought her in for that appointment, but how long was it been between Ruby's appointment and the accident? Or even since the cookie incident when April tried to tell someone about Matthew. I guess it's supposed to be that it'll work out for them since April/Sarah Drew is leaving the show, otherwise you could say that their surroundings and what happened is what made Matthew propose. And besides no license, did they even have rings? What the heck GA. What. the. heck.

• Love 1

This is Grey's Anatomy so I know that we can't go a whole episode without some sort of medical emergency, especially not during the season finale, so as soon as the episode started I wondered what it would be. Heart attack by one of the heretofore unknown guests? Airplane crashes into the church? Bus plows into the reception site? Catering truck drives off the side of a mountain? So I was almost relieved when Tisha Campbell fainted early in the episode and Bailey ran up to help her. Then I thought nah, that's too easy. There's got to be something more catastrophic that's going to happen! And that was before April said the word "catastrophe" a million times.

During Amelia's "you're secretly in love with Alex!" conversation, I was distracted by the straws on the table behind her. Would someone as organized as April really let the caterers use straws that didn't match the yellow and white theme? I think not.

Leo's tuxedo bib was the cutest!

I don't know why the official wedding coordinator was freaking out and saying that if they didn't start the wedding RIGHT THAT SECOND, they would have to skip the cake cutting. I know they were trying to be dramatic but anyone who has ever been to a wedding knows that is a bunch of bull shit. Cake cutting takes like two minutes, tops, and most of that is telling the bride and groom it's cake cutting time, having them walk over to the cake, and then letting everyone get out their phones to document the moment. You just make the dinner/dancing portion of the event a little shorter. It's no big deal, so CALM DOWN, LADY.

It was nice to see Arizona and April have a nice friendship moment in their last episode together.

10 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

So are April and Matthew legally married?

Nope. There is a three day waiting period so they will have to get a marriage license, wait three days, and have another ceremony.

10 hours ago, jschoolgirl said:

Sure -- it's tee vee!

Who needs a license, or a blood test!

Washington state doesn't require a blood test, but they do require a license!

10 hours ago, Laurie4H said:

Teddy pregnant?  How old is she supposed to be?  The actress is almost 50.

10 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Well, Rachel Weisz recently announced her pregnancy and she's 48. And I'd say the odds of a late-40s pregnancy on a show like Grey's are at least 10 times higher than in real life. ;)

And Janet Jackson had a son last year just a few months before her 51st birthday!

9 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

They never mentioned that Callie was single until tonight. I wonder if that was Sofia’s plan all along, to ask to live with Arizona and then convince her to move back to New York to be near Callie. 

9 hours ago, Chicken Wing said:

That's a lot of long-range planning for a seven-year-old.

And she didn't even have a twin with a British accent to help her pull it off!

• Love 6

What a difference from last year's inferno drama of a season finale!  That was a really nice, fun episode, and it was a refreshing change to have that as a season finale.  I loved Jo & Alex getting locked in the shed (very sitcom cliche, but I don't care, it was fun!) and finding the skeleton.  I hope someone tracked down and notified his family!

Bailey going to help the mother of bride reminded me of her doing surgery on her own wedding day. :)

I love the feeling of movement - Bailey taking a sabbatical, Jo & Alex potentially headed to Mass, Meredith moving forward with her life, Arizona and April's new life directions.  There was no big "OH MY GOD" cliffhanger, but I am intrigued to see what the show will look like next season.

3 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:
10 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

So are April and Matthew legally married?

Nope. There is a three day waiting period so they will have to get a marriage license, wait three days, and have another ceremony.

Not sure if this applies in WA, but when I got married in NH, all you needed was the license to be signed by the officiant, and you were legally married.  Even if they have to get the license, and wait 3 days, they'd just need to do a quick civil ceremony.  They will be legally married in a week.  I also know of people who get "married" without it being a legal civil union, for insurance issues, etc.  In their hearts, they are married.  The legal stuff can come later.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Mrs. DuRona said:

Not sure if this applies in WA, but when I got married in NH, all you needed was the license to be signed by the officiant, and you were legally married.  Even if they have to get the license, and wait 3 days, they'd just need to do a quick civil ceremony.  They will be legally married in a week.  I also know of people who get "married" without it being a legal civil union, for insurance issues, etc.  In their hearts, they are married.  The legal stuff can come later.

This is true. No, April and Matthew obviously didn't have a marriage license so they are not legally married by Washington state law, but that's not the point and I'm sure they're aware of that. What matters is that a minister blessed their union and married them under her vested power and in the sight of God, and that's what counts in their hearts. Later they'll go fill out the paperwork for their union to be recognized by the IRS. :)

• Love 3
(edited)
20 minutes ago, Mrs. DuRona said:

The original question was "Are April and Matthew legally married?" and the answer is still no, as of the end of this episode they are not. They will not be legally married until they submit a marriage license application, wait three days, and then have another ceremony, however brief it may be.

If you get married to put someone on your insurance, it has to be a legal marriage, not a "we were married in our hearts" marriage. Some employers/insurance companies require a copy of the marriage certificate (which is issued after everyone signs the marriage license and submits it to the county).

The law in Washington state:

• Washington state law requires a three-day waiting period before a marriage license can be used. Licenses are valid for 60 days.
  • Washington State marriage licenses become valid for use on the third day following application and are then valid for 60 days. For example, if an application is made on Wednesday, the first day the marriage license can be used is Saturday and the last day it can be used is 60 days later.
  • Under no circumstances can the three-day waiting period be waived.
  • If a couple applies for their marriage license less than three days before their established wedding date, they will need to have a separate ceremony within the period the license is valid (in which the parties assent or declare, in the physical presence of the officiant and at least two attending witnesses, that they take each other to be spouses). The marriage license forms will be completed and signed using this date.

ETA: I'm sure that to religious people like April and Matthew, it's more important to them that they are married in the eyes of God in a religious ceremony, and I'm not judging at all about what kind of marriage anyone should have. I know other people who said that if they "only" got legally married but they didn't get married in a church with a priest, it would be like they weren't REALLY married. I know some people who had weddings at Burning Man but never made it legal (on purpose, not because they forgot to file the paperwork). There are a lot of things you can deal with legally even if you aren't married, but April and Matthew seem like the types who would want to also be legally married AND married in the eyes of God. I was just answering the original question about the legality of their spontaneous wedding.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

f you get married to put someone on your insurance, it has to be a legal marriage, not a "we were married in our hearts" marriage. Some employers/insurance companies require a copy of the marriage certificate (which is issued after everyone signs the marriage license and submits it to the county).

Actually, the situation I was referring to was that one person would lose insurance/healthcare if they *were* legally married.  It was a weird situation, but there was a legitimate reason why they couldn't be legally married.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Mrs. DuRona said:

Actually, the situation I was referring to was that one person would lose insurance/healthcare if they *were* legally married.  It was a weird situation, but there was a legitimate reason why they couldn't be legally married.

Leave it to insurance to make things even weirder than normal!

Funny semi-related story: Mr. EB and I signed all of the paperwork and put it in the pre-addressed envelope while we were at the wedding reception. A few years later, I pulled out our guest book and flipped to the very back where I found a large unsealed envelope. I opened it and found our signed wedding license. I was like OMG DID WE NEVER SEND THIS IN? ARE WE NOT ACTUALLY MARRIED?! It turned out that it was just a copy, but for a few minutes I thought we had been inadvertently lying to the IRS all this time.

• Love 12
(edited)

I wonder if Jackson's new faith journey will continue to be explored, and if so, will it effect him and Maggie?  Will it turn into Japril redux, only with Jackson being in the April position?

Edited by Mrs. DuRona
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, Mrs. DuRona said:

I love the feeling of movement - Bailey taking a sabbatical, Jo & Alex potentially headed to Mass, Meredith moving forward with her life, Arizona and April's new life directions.  There was no big "OH MY GOD" cliffhanger, but I am intrigued to see what the show will look like next season.

I would bet money on a time jump, and everyone is back at SGMWGSH at the start of the season

• Love 1
11 hours ago, BaseOps said:

I loved that. Great endings for April and Arizona, Teddy pregnant and returning, a fantastic JoLex wedding, and smiles all around. Sara singing The Story fucked me up. 

I started crying on the first note, and ended up ugly-sobbing.  I played that song for my Mum on the phone long before she died; she was the one and only person in the world who truly knew me ...  :-(

10 hours ago, Lovecat said:

Nope, unless a) there is a courthouse on Bainbridge to issue a marriage license; and b) there is no waiting period in Washington State.

ETA: Mr. Google tells me there’s a 3-day waiting period in Washington, so no, not legally married.

Oh, puleeze - it is definitely Ms. Google~  ;-)

10 hours ago, craziness said:

Just want to say, I love The Story sung by Sara, and really liked that shout out to her.  Headed to YouTube to watch it several times.

Moi aussie.  SUCH a great song - even though it makes me cry every GODDAMN time!!!

I love the Mer/Alex friendship SO much.  Please don't take that away from me, show.

• Love 6

Hated Aprils ending mainly because she got lumbered with Mathew but if she's happy I guess...

i do understand the logic in removing either Jackson/April  as fans will never move on once they're both still on the show and I think Japril has been static for seasons now.

Jackson because of his ties to Richard, Catherine and now Maggie won out. It's just a shame he and Maggie don't have a natural and easy chemistry with each other in the way they've had with other characters.

still everyone hated Jolex for the first few years and I think they've finally grown on the audience now..

• Love 4
8 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Arizona went dashing off on her high heels at one point. Unfortunately I missed the recent episode where she actually mentioned the amputation. Is there anywhere I could see it?

What I hate about April and Arizona's endings is that neither of them, particularly April's, was organic. Neither character was a personal favorite or anything, but I honestly feel cheated as a viewer to know, to see, that their characters' resolutions were what they were for no reason other than the fact that the showrunners decided at the last minute to write the characters out of the show. Arizona's exit story actually had a little bit of buildup, with Sofia having come back months ago and the last several episodes of her being increasingly unhappy and wanting to go back to New York, but you can't help but feel that if Arizona hadn't been written out of the show that her character's journey would have taken a different turn that leaving Seattle to move her daughter back to New York. But at least it made sense for her character to do that, and it wasn't literally out of nowhere. April, on the other hand, got shafted. There's just no other way to describe how I feel about it. There was really no lead up to her deciding to quit her job at Grey Sloan, and her out-of-nowhere reunion with Matthew? What the eff? I honestly feel like the writers didn't even start her exit path until last week's episode, when they decided to give her a showcase episode -- and how much of a showcase is it when she was unconscious the whole time? And now, in this episode, which picks up several weeks later at least, we learn that several weeks earlier she quit her job to do whatever she said, needy communities or whatever, and now, her out-of-nowhere too-soon-after-his-widowhood romance with Matthew culminates in an out-of-nowhere marriage. And the thing is, neither of those things -- getting another job, getting married -- actually involves her leaving Seattle, so technically she doesn't even have to leave the story, so ... her ending doesn't even make sense as a necessary exit from the show, because she's not even going anywhere. It's just really lazy and too obviously predicated on the Powers That Be wanting to get rid of the character and making the decision at the last minute.

• Love 13

That was boring to me. Everything was telegraphed so far in advance and could be guessed from the previews.

Il glad we didn’t have a season end with a huge tragedy, but overall I’m just so underwhelmed.

I thought it was ok--would probably like it more if I was a fan of Jolex, but I'm not.

My favorite moment was all of them showing up at the wrong wedding. That was honestly funny. and I loved Bailey's remark about "do they have this many friends outside of the hospital?" because no one on this show knows anyone outside of the hospital.

Can we please lose Glasses? he's such a dork; it's not cute or endearing. If you can't stand the sight of blood there is no point trying to be a surgeon. My pediatrician once told me I should be a doctor (because I was a good student) and I knew that would never happen because I am grossed out by blood.

also I still don't know all of the interns' names and I agree with others--why were they there? It doesn't make sense. It would have been better for them to have scenes (if they needed to be shown at all) at the hospital. I also want to know why Carina was there--and if she was going to be there, why is she hanging out with interns?

April's ending felt tacked on and I still feel zero chemistry between her and Matthew. I never liked it (even when I was anti-Japril). But I think S. Drew acted it very well.

• Love 13

I'd imagine once people leave Seattle Grace Mercy Death, they discover a healthy sense of safety and security and don't have a strong desire to go back

Made me laugh.

The whole thing was more ridiculous than usual for Grey's. Modern Family did the screwed up wedding thing way better. I am shocked, that April lived-no idea how they are going to explain her being off screen that much since no way is Jackson (and Katharine) . giving up Harriet. And Teddy pregnant-PLEASE...enough soap opera.

What happens to her shares?

(edited)
2 hours ago, shantown said:

I would bet money on a time jump, and everyone is back at SGMWGSH at the start of the season

But Teddy's pregnancy, and the repercussions? 

1 hour ago, AriAu said:

What's happened to Mark's, with Callie as his proxy for Sophia? Never mind. We likely won't hear about it, but Alex will probably be present at the next board vote. (Explanation offered then: Arizona doubled down on Alex and this time, the board unanimously agreed.)

Edited by Pallas
Clarity
  • Love 2
55 minutes ago, AriAu said:

4 minutes ago, Pallas said:

What's happened to Mark's, with Callie as his proxy for Sophia? Never mind. We likely won't hear about it, but Alex will probably be present at the board vote. (Explanation offered then: Arizona doubled doubled down on Alex and this time, the board unanimously agreed.)

Didn't someone else leave their shares to Alex too? I would love if next season it turns out the Alex holds the majority of the shares because of people leaving theirs to others and somehow he got left with most people's. That could be a fun new storyline!

4 minutes ago, Pallas said:

But Teddy's pregnancy, and the repercussions? 

They'll do what Grey's always does - speed forward on some stories while others remain stupidly stagnant and nothing makes sense in the Seattle Grace Bermuda Triangle! LOL

• Love 9
56 minutes ago, LaughingOne said:

As a big April fan, I’m so, so, so disappointed with this finale. Krista wasn’t around for April’s development into a complex character and apparently had no interest in learning about it. With this ending, she reduced her to the most simple version of herself - a sweet Christian girl who just wants to fall in love, get married and do good things - basically who she was when we were introduced to her. But simplicity is the exact opposite of what made April interesting. She was a good girl who lost her virginity on a whim because she had desires she couldn’t fight. She moved away from home and became a kick-ass surgeon, a decision her mother couldn’t understand. She was supposed to marry the good boy just like her, but selfishly ran off with the guy who was her opposite. She had big ambitions that showed themselves in stunted ways because she didn’t have the ego to claim her awesomeness. She could be selfish and erratic because she didn’t know how to assert her needs. She was a ball of contradictions and that made her so real and relatable. Krista decided to undo that with this ending. And worst of all, she just TOLD us this is who April is now because she couldn’t be bothered to write the relationships, interactions, learning that led to April being reduced to the girl her parents expected her to be. But hey, who cares because I guess she’s happy, right? At least that’s what we were told.

Yes to all this! I’m so freaking mad at how April left but Krista made sure anyone who says that looks dumb cause on the outside it’s a “perfect” ending. Yeah for anyone who didn’t know who April Kepner was, and it’s so apparent krista doesn’t know or care.

2 hours ago, Chas411 said:

Hated Aprils ending mainly because she got lumbered with Mathew but if she's happy I guess...

i do understand the logic in removing either Jackson/April  as fans will never move on once they're both still on the show and I think Japril has been static for seasons now.

Jackson because of his ties to Richard, Catherine and now Maggie won out. It's just a shame he and Maggie don't have a natural and easy chemistry with each other in the way they've had with other characters.

still everyone hated Jolex for the first few years and I think they've finally grown on the audience now..

If THATs The goal for jaggie then yeah that’ll eventually happen. Where people will just go with it cause the writers won’t do anything else. But if they are hoping fans will be transferring over, then they have a very naive and gross over simplification to how shipping works. 

Especially when you essentially give those fans the middle finger with an ending like this.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, RedbirdNelly said:

also I still don't know all of the interns' names and I agree with others--why were they there? It doesn't make sense. It would have been better for them to have scenes (if they needed to be shown at all) at the hospital. I also want to know why Carina was there--and if she was going to be there, why is she hanging out with interns?

Helm (“Hellmouth”) was invited, which made sense because she worked with Meredith & Jo on the mini livers project. Glasses was not, but Hellmouth agreed to take him as her plus one. (This discussion occurred right before April was brought into GSMH in the last episode). I have no idea why Dahlia and Casey were invited. 

I was okay with interns being there since Jo was their chief resident. My theory on Carina’s presence was that DeLuca wasn’t enthused about attending, but she agreed to go as his plus one. 

I really enjoyed DeLuca’s remarks and drunken toast. I hope he’ll be utilized more in Season 15. 

It wasn’t until this morning that I realized who the wedding planner was: Arden Myrin from MAD-TV. And unless my lying eyes deceived me, I swear I saw Nurse Bokhee as one of the guests 

• Love 1

Look I’m happy that this was a happy season finale, but I don’t know. It did feel like an episode on speed and I’m not entirely happy with how things ended up.

Im happy Jolex got married though. 

As a whole, I enjoyed this season. But a lot of what I enjoyed included Arizona and April who aren’t going to be on the show anymore. But I thought the season was strong. I feel like it wasn’t always exciting and high powered but I feel like Greys was getting a little too crazy there for a little and this season seemed to pull it back into reality, which it needed. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, kurtz said:

Helm (“Hellmouth”) was invited, which made sense because she worked with Meredith & Jo on the mini livers project. Glasses was not, but Hellmouth agreed to take him as her plus one. (This discussion occurred right before April was brought into GSMH in the last episode). I have no idea why Dahlia and Casey were invited. 

I was okay with interns being there since Jo was their chief resident. My theory on Carina’s presence was that DeLuca wasn’t enthused about attending, but she agreed to go as his plus one. 

those are valid points though I think I would have preferred Helm trying to take Glasses and him not being able to go due to being scheduled to work. Same with the rest of the interns. I don't think jo being your chief resident means everyone would expect to come to the wedding.

4 minutes ago, kurtz said:

I really enjoyed DeLuca’s remarks and drunken toast. I hope he’ll be utilized more in Season 15. 

I questioned anybody handing the microphone to him or why the planner felt there was a need to pass it around at all. But I do hope they give his character something to do next season. I agree with earlier posters that he started out as a strong doctor and they just turned him into nothing this season. No more pining for DACA Intern. If you're that upset, work on your immigration papers to Switzerland or some other EU country so you can visit a lot. I assume he has sufficient ties to Italy to at least settle there and take a train to visit DACA Intern as much as he wants. Let's forget that storyline ever happened.

• Love 3

Things I liked:

- Alex and Jo getting a happy ending.  They seemed so happy, and it is nice to see Alex smile.

- Scenes outside of the hospital.  Everyone looked great, and it's fun to see their "outside of work" personality.

- That pinwheel sight gag made me LOL.

- Everyone showing up at the wrong wedding and wondering where all their friends came from. 

- Amelia guessing that Mer had feelings for Alex and saying she had always thought that.  Then later assuming that she had feelings for Jo once she denied it with Alex and offered Jo the job.

- Jackson's religion conundrum.  I think it would be fascinating if they had him go further with his religious exploration to fulfill his promise to God during the crisis, and then realize that there are elements of religion that he really appreciates and can begin to understand.  They don't need to make him become a full holy-roller, but I think it would be nice if he became a believer as a result. 

- Leo's tux.

- The pacing and comic relief throughout this episode.

- Callie singing The Story.

Things I didn't like:

- That April and Jackson didn't work out.  Would be nice to see a couple really try and see the love they have for one another.  Could have been really interesting for Jackson to realize how much he still loves April after her near death experience and go back to her. 

- How April just up and quit...too convenient.  Do not like her rushing into everything with Matthew.  Why did they need to get married right then and there?

- How Callie is suddenly single again.  Again...too convenient.

- How Arizona kept saying how nobody has hurt her like Callie.  Well, Arizona...do you remember when you cheated on Callie?  Pot calling the kettle black...

- Jackson's glib comment about "will it make you feel better to know I just lost a quarter of a billion dollars?"

- The dead guy...I get it for comic relief, but it was a little extreme.  I just kept thinking of the logistics of how that shed was unopened for how many years to get him to a skeletal state?  Hard to suspend my disbelief on that.

- Teddy...meh...too soap opera-like.  I think everyone hates Owen because they keep giving him the same lame storylines over and over again.  It's cute to see him happy as a dad.  I hope it works out with Leo, but I guess they're telegraphing that he'll have a baby with Teddy and Leo may get back with Betty?  Or my guess is Amelia will end up with him as Betty ODs and her parents want nothing to do with Leo.  I wonder if the writers get their ideas from these boards since so many people predicted Teddy coming back preggo etc.

- Don't want DeLucca to get with Meredith, but would like to get him out of his funk and make him McHottie or whatever we're calling him again.  Thought it was funny when the interns questioned the Muslim intern about inviting DeLucca over to drink with them, and they said "...thought you liked Jackson?" and she said, "he's moved on" as she starts giving dreamy eyes to DeLucca. 

Overall a nice change of pace episode.  I'm sad to see April leave, indifferent about Arizona leaving.  Carina can go along with a few interns.  Can't wait until next season! 

• Love 3
(edited)

I actually watched the whole episode save for the first 15 mins. 

As an April fan I don’t think I’ve ever been more upset. I know this has the dressings of a happy ending for April...and hey, I guess she didn’t die so that’s a plus. But this ending just feels spiteful towards fans of April and of japril. 

Mind you I’d have accepted any other scenario then what we actually got. 

April’s exit wasn’t even played out for us to understand, we’re just told she quit her job...WTF? To do God’s work? In season 11 she tells Jackson that God gave her a calling and she followed it...SHE WAS ALREADY DOING GODS WORK! But Krista couldn’t even exaplin what exactly April would be doing outside of working with the homeless...she had to go on Twitter to tell people when they called her out. The lackadaisical and flippant attitude about April’s exit enfuriates me and tells me April was never supposed to live to the finale. 

Then japril. I know they weren’t getting back together. But Krista literally walked them back to the season 10 episode before maprils wedding. That procedure they did on the wedding planner is the exact procedure Jackson and April did on the patient Matthew tried to give a trache (with a straw) back in season 10. Krista pretty much “course corrected” to the ending she wanted. 

Then we couldn’t even get a good last scene with them. You can tell Krista did it to throw a bone to fans but they tried their hardest to make that scene not mean more than two friends saying goodbye. We never got any conversation about the pain THEY ACTUALLY SHARE. I’m supposed to beliefe Matthew and April have this special connection due to their loss and ignore two people who actually share a specific tragedy! Ugh.

mind you, no one from the cast including sadah drew acknowledges mapril in the finale and I’m loving it. They know how much it was BS.

Lastly on this, Krista reduced April to the easiest trait she could milk. Her religion. How many times was it freaking mentioned this episode? It was 80% of Matthews proposal. WTH? April was about so much more but Krista doesn’t think so. Honestly if you string april from season 7, when Krista was last on the show, to now...and ignore 9-13, it makes a lot more sense. To Krista, april was never meant to be taken seriously. And the exit she got shows how seriously Krista ever thought of April in the end. 

So yeah I’m not happy at all and I’m not even mad about japril not ending up together at this point. 

But other then that, there was a lot of fun and hijinks to be had. So no one is concerned there’s a life skeleton in the shed? No one called the police. That’s such a freaking weird and random thing to put in. 

Bailey, you can tell Krista wrote this. Bailey is going on and on and then talks about a voice in her that’s always told her she couldn’t stop and then literslltnsays “that’s probably the patriarchy”...WTF IS THAT? so now being driven is the fault of the patriarchy? I’m a woman and a feminist but my god can we stop blaming men for all the shit they deal with already. This didn’t even make sense. 

Lastly, I’m not going to make any big declarations about my continued viewership but I will say: what happened to japril and April Kepner this season and this finale, I have never seen a show runner be so spiteful and so personal. I’ve never seen something be torpedoed like this. 

Edited by moonorchid
  • Love 8
34 minutes ago, kurtz said:

And unless my lying eyes deceived me, I swear I saw Nurse Bokhee as one of the guests 

Yes, Bokhee was there! She handed the knife to Jackson during the procedure at the wedding. I thought that was hilarious. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Chicken Wing said:

After April ran out of that church with Jackson, as far as I'm aware she and Matthew did not see or talk to each other until the day April was all up his wife's lady parts. She and Matthew knew each other five years ago, but they haven't known each other for five years. They had nothing to do with each other in that intervening time and they're not the same people they were then, and back then they hadn't known each other for terribly long either. So in this new relationship they are getting to know each other all over again as if for the first time because it might as well be, and it is early for them to be rushing into an engagement let alone to the altar the same day (even though they have no license but, teevee). My issue with them, though, remains that it's been too soon since his wife died for them to have gotten together at all -- even though the show has been very coy about just how long it's been. It's not the idea that April rushed into getting married to a guy she only started dating again for a few months -- after all, they were only together for a few months when they got engaged the first time, and I'm actually okay with that in general although here out of nowhere it's a lame, thrown-together way to end her character's story. I'm most concerned about April rushing to get married to a guy she's been dating just a few months after his previous wife died. They got married after only a few months of a relationship that began only a few months after he lost his wife. We want to root for these two crazy lovebirds because we know them and love them, but on paper everything about this is actually kind of icky.

I'm not a big fan of getting hitched within months of meeting/falling for each other, but I can understand is a plot device for tv shows. However, in this instance, I hate it. I've said it before (previous eps) in that this "foundation" of April and Matthew is all wrong for their relationship. To make matters worse, there are now two children involved, not just the two of them.

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, abc123 said:

Jackson's religion conundrum.  I think it would be fascinating if they had him go further with his religious exploration to fulfill his promise to God during the crisis, and then realize that there are elements of religion that he really appreciates and can begin to understand.  They don't need to make him become a full holy-roller, but I think it would be nice if he became a believer as a result. 

With April gone from the screen, I suspect Jackson's religious exploration will be gone, too. Maybe there'll be an offhand comment about him saying grace with Harriet or something. At most.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, LexieLily said:

1 hour ago, AriAu said:

45 minutes ago, shantown said:

Didn't someone else leave their shares to Alex too? I would love if next season it turns out the Alex holds the majority of the shares because of people leaving theirs to others and somehow he got left with most people's. That could be a fun new storyline!

I think Cristina lent (not gave) her shares to Alex when she left Seattle Grace Death (I think they’re still in her name but she gave Alex permission to vote for her). There’s no rule that says you have to be an employee or live in the same city in order to own shares in a company, so Arizona could keep her shares.

But I’m all for Alex walking into a board meeting next season and yelling, “I’ve got seventeen million shares now and I’m outvoting all of you! Booyah, bitches!”

• Love 8
(edited)
36 minutes ago, abc123 said:

- The dead guy...I get it for comic relief, but it was a little extreme.  I just kept thinking of the logistics of how that shed was unopened for how many years to get him to a skeletal state?  Hard to suspend my disbelief on that.

Yep - also, and I know this is nitpicky as hell, but they got locked in wooden shed that was FULL OF TOOLS that could easily have been used to get that door open.  Or to pull off one of the boards that made the walls.  Boards that were spaced so far apart you could SEE LIGHT through the gaps.  I mean, come on.

Edited by Maurina
  • Love 11
31 minutes ago, moonorchid said:

“that’s probably the patriarchy”...WTF IS THAT? so now being driven is the fault of the patriarchy?

There's been a lot of "awareness" stuff this season. April's work with Seattle's homeless population ties into that, as Seattle's problem is unbelievably bad.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Maurina said:

Yep - also, and I know this is nitpicky as hell, but they got locked in wooden shed that was FULL OF TOOLS that could easily have been used to get that door open.  Or to pull off one of the boards that made the walls.  Boards that were spaced so far apart you could SEE LIGHT through the gaps.  I mean, come on.

I was thinking the same thing; start hacking at one of those walls, Alex.

• Love 3
(edited)

Well, I'm just glad that Jessica Capshaw and Sarah Drew shared their last scene on the show. That was sweet. Otherwise, their respective exits were played out hideously. Arizona and Callie are reuniting off-screen? April quit her job just because - also off-screen! - and is getting married with Matthew, which I don't even want to get started on as everything's been already said. Just inexcusably lazy writing. 

Everyone showing up in the wrong church was something I did not see coming and I thought it was geniunely funny. OTOH, I don't really get why a human skeleton should be a comic relief, but whatever.

And show, I see what you did there, taking away Arizona from me, but giving me Teddy back. It's not going to work. Probably. 

Edited by Joana
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, jschoolgirl said:

There's been a lot of "awareness" stuff this season. April's work with Seattle's homeless population ties into that, as Seattle's problem is unbelievably bad.

Something that was used as a one off line to get a character out of the show. I don’t beliefe for a second Krista actually cares to explore that. She couldn’t muster up the care to actually explain what kind of work april would be doing. 

• Love 3