Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite ‘little’ Luke and Lorelai moments?

• Start Topic

What are some of your favorite little Luke and Lorelai pre-dating moments, as in minor, underrated scenes that you don’t see mentioned enough in discussion? 

For instance, I love their conversation at the end of Road Trip when he instinctively gets why she experienced mixed feelings in regards to watching Rory in Harvard, and she confides in him that she’s ready to open the inn. Or at the end of It Should’ve Been Lorelai, the morning after the big blowout with Emily, he notices she’s sad by just looking at her and offers to play bagel hockey (which he had dismissed earlier in the episode) with her to cheer her up. And later, when Christopher yells at her in the diner, he stops what he’s doing and visibly tenses and looks very concerned at her. I’ve always thought that was very sweet and protective of him.

• Love 7

Luke bring ice to Rory's birthday party and Lorelai's reaction to that. Them at the diner talking about painting the place picking out colors and having a moment. Then later how excited Luke looks to "look" for the baby chick.

• Love 5

One of my favorites has always been in Nag Hammadi at the firelight festival before Luke gives Lorelai the earrings Liz made. 

LUKE: You're all dressed up.
LORELAI: Just for you.
LUKE: You go somewhere?
LORELAI: Well, my parents had a charity event and they needed a chair filled and who fills a chair better than I?
LUKE: No one comes to mind.

Luke had a rough couple of days dealing with Liz and Jess and was reminded of how Lorelai is always there for him, even when he pushes others away and feels like he's messed up all of his relationships.  His expression/tone when he says "no one comes to mind" always sounds to me like a perfect expression of how much he cares for her.

Then, after they're dating, this is one of my favorite moments, where they both let down their guard just a little to show how important the other person is to them:

LORELAI [sighs]: I just hate that we were apart.
LUKE: Yeah, wasn’t too fond of it myself.
LORELAI: Well, all I can say is, you’re lucky I’m back in your life, because clearly you were lost without me. I mean, it’s a miracle you’re even still alive. Right?
LUKE: You bet.

• Love 9
On 5/10/2018 at 11:46 PM, bracebridge said:

And later, when Christopher yells at her in the diner, he stops what he’s doing and visibly tenses and looks very concerned at her. I’ve always thought that was very sweet and protective of him.

I love moments like this, where they don't interfere in each others' business but make it clear that they will be there, if needed.

• Love 7

That truly disgusting Santa burger he makes for her when she's forbidden to attend the Gilmore Christmas party.  Followed by booting everyone out of the diner to drive her to the hospital.  Guess that's less a little moment than a grand gesture.

• Love 10
On 5/10/2018 at 11:46 PM, bracebridge said:

What are some of your favorite little Luke and Lorelai pre-dating moments, as in minor, underrated scenes that you don’t see mentioned enough in discussion? 

For instance, I love their conversation at the end of Road Trip when he instinctively gets why she experienced mixed feelings in regards to watching Rory in Harvard, and she confides in him that she’s ready to open the inn. Or at the end of It Should’ve Been Lorelai, the morning after the big blowout with Emily, he notices she’s sad by just looking at her and offers to play bagel hockey 

And the way he looks after Lorelai leaves the diner...he’s just so smitten!

• Love 5

When they have their movie night, watching Casablanca. The way he helps give advice to Rory, as well, when she's on her date.

His turning up at the hospital in season seven, with food. 

"What happened to your face? It's *visible*."

I don't know. I like a lot of them. When he finds the jeep for her, borrows Kirk's laptop (?) and finds craigslist. Her happiness over their bickering again, because it's normal for them. No polite chatter. 

• Love 3
On 6/4/2018 at 6:09 PM, shron17 said:

I love moments like this, where they don't interfere in each others' business but make it clear that they will be there, if needed.

That's why I loved Luke bringing food to the hospital after Richard had his heart attack.

On 6/7/2018 at 6:48 PM, FictionLover said:

And the way he looks after Lorelai leaves the diner...he’s just so smitten!

Scott Patterson does "smitten" really well.

• Love 5

I have a few!

1.  When she showed up to help Luke find an apartment for him and Jess. I loved the teasing. Snuffy! And Luke is horrified but you can tell how much he values her opinion.
  2. One's Got Class and The Other One Dyes. I lose it every time she finds the picture of Butch and there's the part when Luke is sitting on the bench and Lorelai is talking in an accent about how she'd die if Butch walked away, Luke is fighting to not laugh/smile. He enjoys their banter.
  3. The scene when he's fixing her shoe at the dance marathon and lets her know that he doesn't really feel that way about kids and if he met the right person, it would be a discussion and Lorelai agrees that if she met the right person, more kids would be nice. 
  • Love 7

This is a perfect thread for them because their relationship and in some ways the show in general is comprised mostly of supposedly small moments that have a surprisingly large significance!

I love the way they subtly look and touch each other in the revival. There are complaints that they're not physically affectionate enough but throughout the series she often touches his arm and he often touches her legs and it's both a romantic gesture and just nonverbal reminders that they care about and understand each other even though they both have trouble expressing it out loud. 

Lorelai saying they won't paint over the part of Luke's wall that has meaning to him because of his father.

Luke trying to loan her the money to fix her porch without wounding her pride, even though she immediately figures out what he's doing and is touched by it. 

When they're talking about first dates during Double Date, supposedly in relation to Sookie and Jackson but clearly wanting to have that experience with each other.

Luke teaching her to fish even though he knows it's for a date with another man.

Luke saying Lorelai can pull sausages out of him anytime because even though Luke hates the gimmicky Halloween thing he is desperate to comfort Lorelai about her demon spawn, I mean Rory.

I understand many of us resent Season 7 but I love the letter of recommendation.

There are so many more, especially in Season 1 which as so many people said is such a wonderful season for them, so much affection and chemistry and obvious feelings, that when I watch I'm always surprised all over again they don't get together then even though apparently there's a television bible mandating that the main couple have to wait a few seasons before finally kissing :-)

Edited by coffeecoffeecoffee
  • Love 6

The scene when Lorelai takes Luke up to change for the talk at the high school in S3, E4.  Jess' interaction with them is great in it too.  The whole scene is adorable, but my favorite bit:

Luke: " and it's gotta be something I don't have to put together"

Lorelai: "What?"

Luke: "My toy" (this always sounds a little dirty to me)

Lorelai: "Got it!" 

Luke jumps back to conversation in progress from earlier in the scene, my husband and i do this all the time.  It shows them being flirty and in sync with each other.  I just love it.

• Love 1

I'm watching "They Shoot Gilmores Don't They" and I can't believe Luke straight up TELLS Lorelai he wants a baby if the right person comes along and she says it right back to him!  I mean, wow.  It just seems early on.  But I liked it.

• Love 3

I hate how Lorelai is so cute but also gets to be a rude bitch because she literally never does anything for Luke (ok I do recall few times as I type this, but it’s still considered as “nothing” comparing to all his endless efforts and gestures).

3 hours ago, Serene said:

I hate how Lorelai is so cute but also gets to be a rude bitch because she literally never does anything for Luke (ok I do recall few times as I type this, but it’s still considered as “nothing” comparing to all his endless efforts and gestures).

She made him happy.

• Love 2

My favorite Luke&Lorelei moment is actually kinda raunchy- when they finished the house remodel and he brought her upstairs to surprise her with that weird, old bedroom set.  He stopped her outside the bedroom door and told her to close her eyes and she cracked “oh but I’m not afraid of it anymore” 😵

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
(edited)

Their first date. I love everything about it. He kept the horoscope for 8 yrs. And that he is all in :).

Their first kiss. I remember cheering the first time I saw it.  Obviously it was like "about time" and the stuff with Kirk was good too (though not related).

The town meeting. I like how they are wondering how the town was going to react. Then they find out by Taylor in the funniest and Star's Hollow way. 

Then the little things, like how Sookie acts when she finds out and the stuff with Liz wanting Loriali as a sisterlaw. Lorali volunteering to paint the diner (I think that happened but not sure).

Edited by blueray
  • Love 5
28 minutes ago, blueray said:

Lorali volunteering to paint the diner (I think that happened but not sure).

Oh she did, and then stood Luke up because she screwed Christopher on the balcony of her bedroom at her parent's house. She did finally show up and do it herself.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Oh she did, and then stood Luke up because she screwed Christopher on the balcony of her bedroom at her parent's house. She did finally show up and do it herself.

I hated that. Fucking Christopher, ugh.

• Love 5

I like Luke and Lorelai a lot more when they weren't together (why did the writers suck so much regarding writing them?) so most of my favorite memories of them are from pre and post relationship episodes. I love when he brings the Gilmores foods in the hospital and even included fish because he remembered someone mentioning fish. I like his reaction when Lorelai tells him that Rune is unhappy to be on a date with her and the two of them playing cards the rest of the night. Those are probably my top two that I don't see mentioned very often.

• Love 4

Someone else mentioned the "diner walk" in the epi where she's asking about their date that night and basically says "please don't let it be the storyline to 'Some Kind of Wonderful'.." and he pauses then says "Ok. I'll come up with something else."  As a huge fan of SKoW, this scene melted me.  

Sometimes it isn't even an entire scene.  It's just their glances at one another.  🙂

• Love 5

One of my favorite little Luke and Lorelai moments is the open to "Kiss and Tell" (season 1, episode 7) where Luke is in a heated argument with Taylor about not decorating for the Fall festival, and the whole time Lorelai and Rory are trying to get his attention he doesn't miss a beat in his argument with Taylor, but is clearly aware of Lorelai the entire time, allowing her to move behind the counter to help herself (after giving Taylor the "back off" look), handing her the tongs for the muffin, then finally topping off with "Don't sit on any cold benches!" It just shows that he's always got her in his sights.

• Love 8
49 minutes ago, CalamityBoPeep said:

One of my favorite little Luke and Lorelai moments is the open to "Kiss and Tell" (season 1, episode 7) where Luke is in a heated argument with Taylor about not decorating for the Fall festival, and the whole time Lorelai and Rory are trying to get his attention he doesn't miss a beat in his argument with Taylor, but is clearly aware of Lorelai the entire time, allowing her to move behind the counter to help herself (after giving Taylor the "back off" look), handing her the tongs for the muffin, then finally topping off with "Don't sit on any cold benches!" It just shows that he's always got her in his sights.

One of my favorite scenes, not just of Luke and Lorelai

• Love 4

This is one of my favorite funny scenes (because it's effing hilarious) but it's also a nice scene because Lorelai lets Luke rant for a minute for the amusement of it and then she gets back to being serious. It just shows how comfortable they are with each other.

LORELAI: Wow, pot holders.

LUKE: Yes.

LORELAI: Little kitty pot holders. (POT HOLDERS: Reeoooowwwr!) They meow.

LUKE: They're a present.

LORELAI: For someone you hate?

LUKE: It's Rachel's birthday, okay? And don't say anything, she doesn't want anyone to know. She hates birthdays.

LORELAI: Not as much as she's gonna hate these pot holders.

😅😅😅

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I like the basket scene:

Lorelai-She thinks I need a man.

Luke-You do, preferably one with a long couch and a deep knowledge of Freud.

Yet he buys her basket and then makes her food so they can eat lunch together.

I also love when his reaction when he is making her breakfast at home, but she still wants to go to Luke’s:  “But I’m Luke.”  

I think I’m one of the few that hated her singing “I will always love you” and then being upset that he didn’t reciprocate with a “grand gesture.”  What did she think her new car was?

• Like 3