Type keyword(s) to search

S26.E03: Week 3

• Start Topic

(edited)

So nice to see everyone dance well on this episode.  But what was up with the judges?  CAI decides to call out a lift??  Sigh.  And Adam gets 3 10s for his contemporary but Josh gets all 9s?  I am not normally a fan of contemporary on DWTS, and I would have preferred to have seen Adam and Josh do a ballroom dance in a short season, but we surprisingly enjoyed both of these dances and thought Josh's contemporary was every bit as good as Adam's (and we're huge fans of Adam).  Different.   Adam's was more staccato (don't know what Len was going on about - that's quite common in contemporary) with Josh's more fluid.  More lift-heavy for Josh.  But he danced it well and performed those lifts beautifully.  I don't begrudge Adam his score, but Josh should have been right there with him.  No idea why they scored his dance 3 points lower.

I am 100% convinced that it was judge's scores that got Tonya to the finale.  She soundly lost her dance-off in viewer voting, and I believe that reflects accurately the feelings of the general public towards her.  I know she's been dancing fairly well - I'll give her that - but I just can't like her.  I'm not sure why, but of all the "redemption" contestants they've had on the show, she's the only one I have not been able to accept.  I was pleasantly surprised by Andy Dick.  I had no problem with Ryan Lochte.  Paula Deen wasn't my favorite, but I didn't hate her.  Tonya just rubs me the wrong way.  Or maybe it's that she's the only "redemption" contestant who has been helped into the finals by the judges.  If she'd been gone last night, I know I would not feel the same animosity towards her as I do now.  But right now I just feel like she was 'awarded' a spot that should have gone to either Chris or Mirai.

Oh well.  C'est la vie!  I'm really hoping Adam wins it.  Josh next.  If Tonya takes it, I'll do everything in my power to wipe the memory of this season from my mind.  Because I do still enjoy watching this show.  Aggravates me no end sometimes, but I keep coming back because I just really enjoy this show.  

Edited by LadyMustang65
left off a thought
  • Love 7

Mirai is trying to appeal to her generation, who are likely not watching this show.  It’s pretty much skewed to middle aged women.

As a twenty something, she’s fairly normal and acting like a lot of people her age.  I find her no more annoying than Adam, who can be tiresome.  Face it you uns.  We are old.  This is how the millennials do.  I’d take a week of Adam and Mirai at their most annoying over sad, stupid Tonya for five minutes.

Ugh.  I just feel greasy and itchy by watching her.  She’s gross. 

• Love 12
(edited)
11 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Funny how people can't stand Mirai for talking funny, but criminals are a-okay. 

As I said above I don't think Tonya has enough fans to have put her there.  The judges scores are keeping her in due to production giving them more weight.   I think the final round of voting will show fan votes count more.  

Tonya could have easily been one of the first out despite her being skilled.  I can see them not wanting to disgrace her further.  I don't know why but I can see it.  

It is better for Tonya to come in second to avoid further twitter outrage against her.  Not that I care, I don't like her and never did even before the plan to break Nancy's knee cap. 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

In the ballroom battle I realized Jennie drives me nuts because she dances so short. Tonya was dancing taller than her. Jennie is awkward and feels like she's almost apologizing for her height, when she should be owning it. 

Jenna's flat shoes in the ballroom battle jive actually bothered me. I'm like "this bitch is wearing FLAT SHOES." Mirai wore heels, FFS.

That's where the pro is so important. Erin was the same way about her height and Maks got her through that. I don't think Keo is a good enough pro to have done the same.

• Love 1

I don't think producer shenanigans or vote rigging took out Mirai, I think the figure skating skating fan base decided it was time to pick a side. At the end of the season, people stop vote splitting and go all in on their favorite. At the Stars on Ice show I saw this weekend, the crowd was enthusiastic about Mirai but batshit insane for Adam.

• Love 3
(edited)

For the sake of my dear mom, I wish they had brought Maks back to dance with Meryl for 60 seconds. A missed opportunity to make her so happy. Bad show.

Sad to see Mirai leave. I still like her. And Alan is a wonder -- I would have liked him to be in the finals. He's got a bunch of tricks up his sleeve, and he could have done them all with Mirai in a super free style.

Now, I'm all about a trophy for Sasha. He's been such a cheerful, enthusiastic, energetic presence on the show for several years, I luv the guy. Tonya Harding for the win!

Edited by Woodrose
  • Love 4
(edited)

CAI and her lift thing ... WTH, just leave it alone and shut up. Between that and her getting all verklempt or screaming and jumping around like she's never seen a man in tight pants before, she's worn out her welcome with me. Then there's Bruno and his stripping obsession. *VOMIT*

LOL at one of the judges telling Mirai that she needs to work on some detail of her dance if she wants to win. No, she needs to work on some details of her personality because it's not the best dancer who wins this, it's the one who gets the best back-stage presentation and is most likeable on this show. And that's NOT snark-a-billy Mirai. (Although her dad is really a cutie.)

Which brings me to: I love David Ross.

I'm neither this way or that about Tonya, the debate about her can go on all year. But she did say one sentence that works for me: Stop the hate. People everywhere need to listen to that, and I don't mean just about Tonya, I mean about life. There is so much negativity everywhere, it's exhausting. Being nice isn't THAT difficult.

I was all set to vote for Chris, he's cute and nice and fun. Then he gets sent home. Rats. I'm glad to see Josh in the finals though. He and his brothers were hilarious. His mom is a saint for raising those boys, they had to have been a round-the-clock handful, but she has much to be proud of. Good on her.

I developed a crush on Adam during the Olympics so have hoped he gets the win from the beginning, although my votes have gone to keep others in the mix on his journey to the mirrorball capture.

I could care less what pro is dancing with what person so that has no impact on my favorite. Adam could be dancing with anyone and I'd still like him. Well, maybe not if he were partnered with CAI or Bruno. Then ... just no.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5
(edited)

Had to register and show some love for Tonya.  I remember hating her in the 90s.  I remember cheering when her skate malfunctioned.  Recently I watched some documentaries on her (not the movie) and realized I only had a tiny portion of the story.  This woman has a fantastic story of overcoming some serious obstacles—child abuse, spousal abuse and then sensationalistic media abuse.  But she dug and scraped and did well for herself.  God bless her.  I think her sentence was likely the right call.  She should't have covered for those thugs after she learned the truth, but I think she's shown that is not the totality of who she is. She's much more than that.  I think she's fantastic, and an example of determination and spirit.  

I doubt she'll win, but go Tonya.  I'm with ya.  

Edited by Calmin
  • Love 13
8 hours ago, BelleBrit said:

I'm fine with people saying Mirai doesn't "pull it off" like Adam, but people have been making a huge deal about rather innocuous comments that she has made from the beginning (it's an effing dance competition people, lighten up) and making all kinds of conclusions about her, it honestly makes me look at the things that Adam has said over the last few years with a different eye.  Though I think that I also look at it differently for having followed Mirai and Adam for years and knowing that Mirai kept her mouth shut for four years/seeing how people are reacting to Tonya in comparison. 

I think maybe you've zeroed in on the problem.  For those who follow skating closely, you and they have gotten to "know" Mirai a little bit and are familiar with her humor, shade, snark, etc. (whatever you want to call it)

But for the rest of us, we don't know her from anybody.  We don't know when she's joking or just being spoiled, entitled or bratty.  We hear the things she says and of course we'll make conclusions about her (as we do about all the contestants).  Her error, IMO, was in thinking that the general audience is composed of avid Olympic skating fans and of course we'd know when she's joking and when she's not.   She would have been better off minding her comments, just being cheerful and eager to do well. Three episodes where she is just one of many, really isn't enough time to give the general audience a chance to get to know her.   Also, if she's trying to be like Adam and his snark, that's a big mistake.  Better to figure out your own personna than to try to take on someone else's.  Adam (who I'm not a fan of) is being true to himself and his own personality, or at least that which he chooses to present to the world.  She's not him so of course his personality isn't going to work on her.

• Love 5

It works out better for Adam if Mirai is not in the finals.  That way, there won't be vote splitting between ice skating fans.  I wished she would have made the finals because I think she's a beautiful dancer.  Her personality doesn't bug me.  I think she's trying to be funny but it just doesn't work.

These are things that bugged me about this season:

The season was too short and the contestants were short changed.  A lot of them would have learned so much and been better dancers.

Josh never did a Standard.  He should have done one instead of a contemporary.  I don't think there should have been any contemporaries before the finale in such a short season.  But at least, Adam did both a Latin and Standard. 

I did like both contemporaries but the show manipulated to try to get Mirai out of the finals.  On this show, the judges are more lenient in scoring contemporaries instead of Standard.  Was actually surprised that Josh didn't get at least one 10 because of that.  Mirai had a quickstep which is the dance that the judges are harshest when it comes to critiques.  They put her first because they usually lowball the first dancer.  Last week, they showed her crying because she received a 7.  It made her look like a spoiled brat that didn't like the judges' scores.  I actually thought that CAI did score her too low but she wasn't crying because of that.  She was more upset at herself and wished she could dance better.

In contrast, they only gave really good edits to Tonya.  So I think some people did vote for her out of sympathy especially since she was a decent dancer.  Glad that Sasha is finally doing a freestyle.  I wish it was with Simone instead of Tonya. 

They knew the dance offs would work in favor of who they wanted in the finals.  Side eye to David Ross making a mistake.  Maybe so or maybe not.  If it was a tie, Chris would have won based on audience vote.

So random to bring in Von when he couldn't even mentor in person.  His little dance with the pros was laughable.

I hope Adam wins because he's the best dancer out of the three.  Don't care if Jenna wins.  I think that her win should count as hers and not the fam.  Plus, I don't think it's fair for Val to get credit.  She's the one that had great chemistry with Adam and taught him.  She also choreographed that contemporary because it would have stunk if Val choreographed it.  And both she and Adam danced it beautifully.

• Love 5
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Uke said:

But for the rest of us, we don't know her from anybody.  We don't know when she's joking or just being spoiled, entitled or bratty.  We hear the things she says and of course we'll make conclusions about her (as we do about all the contestants).  Her error, IMO, was in thinking that the general audience is composed of avid Olympic skating fans and of course we'd know when she's joking and when she's not.   She would have been better off minding her comments, just being cheerful and eager to do well. Three episodes where she is just one of many, really isn't enough time to give the general audience a chance to get to know her.   Also, if she's trying to be like Adam and his snark, that's a big mistake.  Better to figure out your own personna than to try to take on someone else's.  Adam (who I'm not a fan of) is being true to himself and his own personality, or at least that which he chooses to present to the world.  She's not him so of course his personality isn't going to work on her.

"Just minding her comments" would probably not be a true reflection of who she is.  Mirai has been getting attention for what she says, for better or for worse, since she was 14.   Just more in the context of sports and skating journalism than in the larger media landscape.  Maybe she came off awkwardly, but I really don't see her as "trying to be Adam", and I don't think that I would have had some of these takaways if it were my first introduction to her.  She did not say anything earth shattering, and she made three episodes of a four episode season for Christ sake.  LOL. I read somewhere that they've seen harsher "trash talk" than Mirai's at their family's annual easter egg hunt.  Plus, a lot of the larger reaction has been positive and more of the "wuz robbed" variety.  I still think Mirai was a last minute replacement anyways and that the initial plan was always to have Tonya and Adam as the only skaters.

Edited by BelleBrit
  • Love 2

Probably reiterating what others have said to some extent, but in a regular season Tonya wouldn't have made the finals.  She might have made it far with sympathetic edits, but she would have been that person who maybe lasts to around the semis at best, or maybe right before that.   I agree with the sentiment that this season wasn't really long enough for anyone to get to know anyone or form any opinions beyond the ones the show wants people to form.

Whereas somebody like Chris would have fully benefitted from a full season with an improvement arc and a chance for people to get to know him and etc. and in a full season could have maybe snuck his way into semis or even a final.

I suspect in a full season Mirai would have been a shock boot as well since her personality seems to rub people the wrong way.

Anyway, the dances. I thought Chris should have won his dance off.  But in effort to keep Josh there I'm not surprised he won (and I don't dislike him).  Contemps in a 4 week season are dumb, especially when one of them is given a song he's been performing to for years.  But whatever.  Neither was anything new.  Jenna's was reminiscent of something I saw on SYTYCD I believe, though I couldn't remember what.  But I swear they did a whole birdcage thing.  And Josh's is mostly of what we normally see on this show, though I'll give him the lifts were well executed.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Woodrose said:

For the sake of my dear mom, I wish they had brought Maks back to dance with Meryl for 60 seconds. A missed opportunity to make her so happy. Bad show.

For the sake of Toonces, I'm glad Maks was nowhere near DWTS and Meryl last night. Had he been, I probably would have stabbed myself. Multiple times. With a really sharp object.

51 minutes ago, realdancemom said:

I hope Adam wins because he's the best dancer out of the three.  Don't care if Jenna wins.  I think that her win should count as hers and not the fam.  Plus, I don't think it's fair for Val to get credit.  She's the one that had great chemistry with Adam and taught him.  She also choreographed that contemporary because it would have stunk if Val choreographed it.  And both she and Adam danced it beautifully.

Actually, that dance was choreographed by Talia Favia, not Jenna. She's the same woman who choreographed Peta's freestyle with Nyle.

• Love 3

After I gave it some thought, I think the shenanigans with Chris and Josh's face off didn't save Josh, it saved Tonya.  It's possible that Josh was getting enough votes to easily win and didn't need any 10s for his solo dance.  So he didn't need the two bonus points, either but Tonya needed all 9s (really?) plus her bonus points and for Chris to get middling scores and no bonus points for her to make it through.   I don't think Tonya is getting the votes some people think, because the meter pegged to Jennie and Keo when they were standing still for several beats at the beginning of the dance off.   Although I'm all in for Josh and Sharna, Chris was my second pick so I'm disappointed that they both didn't make it through.

Tonya's MVP should have been Nancy Kerrigan.  She's the only reason that Harding isn't just a dusty footnote in skating history for the first triple axel.  WIthout Nancy, there would be no movie, no DWTS, nothing.

• Love 9
39 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

Actually, that dance was choreographed by Talia Favia, not Jenna. She's the same woman who choreographed Peta's freestyle with Nyle.

Thanks for letting me know this.  I love Talia's choreography on DWTS and SYTYCD.  Still stand by my comment that if Val choreographed contemporary, it would have looked like crap. :) Also, that Jenna and Adam danced it beautifully.  I just think Jenna should get credit and not Val.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Sile said:

Tonya's MVP should have been Nancy Kerrigan.  She's the only reason that Harding isn't just a dusty footnote in skating history for the first triple axel.  WIthout Nancy, there would be no movie, no DWTS, nothing.

Lol!  I was thinking if I were Nancy Kerrigan (who was paid 500k just to show up at competitions after Lillehammer), I would constantly refer to my luxurious home and various sundries as the “House that Tonya paid for, etc” to rub it in good.  She’s a better man than I am.  And stinking rich.  While ol’ hard luck is toiling away, Nancy is living the life.  Has been for 24 years now.  

But yeah, even If Tonya had won worlds or the Olympics, she was an awful, leaden performer.  So she should send Nancy flowers every whack anniversary. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I'm neither this way or that about Tanya, the debate about her can go on all year. But she did say one sentence that work for me: Stop the hate. People everywhere need to listen to that, and I don't mean just about Tonya, I mean about life. There is so much negativity everywhere, it's exhausting. Being nice isn't THAT difficult.

Boy, ain't that the truth.  Especially these modern group-hate mobs.  Most have no idea why they're hating.  Just following the mob.  

Forgiveness?  Forget about it.  Facts?  Irrelevant.  

The world needs a good dose of love.  Cooler heads hopefully will prevail.  

• Love 9
10 hours ago, TeeMo said:

He should have captured it better than Jenna since he has been performing a routine to that music for over a year.  

Yes, I'm aware. It's actually even more than that, as someone pointed out. However, as someone who doesn't watch the show, because I just end up watching the pros because of just how much better they are because of their extensive experience (and certainly with Jenna that's the case), I think it needed to be said that Adam was better due to a similar situation. He should win based off this performance, because he managed to capture the movement better than Jenna.

• Love 2

Tonya needs to learn when to shut up. When she and Jennie had their pre-battle rehearsals and Tonya was talking about how they each had their own section of the floor and Jennie needed to stay in her side of the line, I know it was supposed to be benign trash-talk, but all I could think of was Tonya whacking Jennie in the knnecaps if she dared to cross the line. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Calmin said:

Had to register and show some love for Tonya.  I remember hating her in the 90s.  I remember cheering when her skate malfunctioned.  Recently I watched some documentaries on her (not the movie) and realized I only had a tiny portion of the story.  This woman has a fantastic story of overcoming some serious obstacles—child abuse, spousal abuse and then sensationalistic media abuse.  But she dug and scraped and did well for herself.  God bless her.  I think her sentence was likely the right call.  She should't have covered for those thugs after she learned the truth, but I think she's shown that is not the totality of who she is. She's much more than that.  I think she's fantastic, and an example of determination and spirit.  

I doubt she'll win, but go Tonya.  I'm with ya.  

But. Tonya still didn't mention anything about that on THIS show, or even a general statement about how she made some poor choices in the 90s and that she is trying to atone for those choices now. She has an external locus of control in that others are responsible for her fate (i.e., I was banned from skating because I'm no longer accepted, or something to that effect).  

Mirai was basically Charlie'd, in a nutshell. Mirai's voters will most likely vote for Adam now. 

Perhaps the Jenna-propping is not because of the fam, but because of Mandy Moore. Isn't Jenna like one of her BFFs or something?

• Love 4
2 hours ago, spanana said:

Jenna's was reminiscent of something I saw on SYTYCD I believe, though I couldn't remember what.  But I swear they did a whole birdcage thing.

Jana and Laurie did a whole birdcage dance with that set. Derek & Bindi did a foxtrot with the same costumes and set as Chris and Witney. Sharnas contemporary was reminiscent of Bindi’s as well. Rumors of budget cuts seem to be true.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, spanana said:

Jenna's was reminiscent of something I saw on SYTYCD I believe, though I couldn't remember what.  But I swear they did a whole birdcage thing.  

Lex and Taylor's Broadway last season? (I flashed to that set, too.)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Hiacios said:

Who else is glad Josh and Sharna made the finale? 

I am.  I am rooting for Adam to win but I am very happy to see this two there.  I like the both, a lot! 

Just now, Thadeeeyus said:

Question.  What were last night's votes for?  

I have no idea. 

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Thadeeeyus said:

I think the winner? There's no extra show next week so they've gotta crown a winner by the end somehow. Last nights votes + next week's scores would be my guess. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, kitcloudkicker said:

I think the winner? There's no extra show next week so they've gotta crown a winner by the end somehow. Last nights votes + next week's scores would be my guess. 

But a lot of people used up their votes before the finalists were announced, and may have voted for contestants who were booted last night. I don't recall them saying what the voting was for, but I could have missed it.  

• Love 2

Tonya playing the victim and whining her way through this show is sickening.  The Judges overscoring her is just wrong.   This shortened season has been a disappointment.

I did like David Ross as a Judge though.

• Love 10

Thoughts on contestants for week 3 (in alphabetical order):

Adam & Jenna - thought it was nice to feel molded minds inside of the contemporary cage, allowing one to be momentarily trapped. Opening out into the studio, thought Adam continued to draw out the necessary raw emotion and that he was able to deliver to the end. While the movements seemed/felt a bit angular (Len), thought he was nonetheless moved by the package and that it showed in his thought-provoking performance. Cuing Adam's tapping shoulder, thought the jiving couple immediately gave off a 60's diner vibe and that it was nice to see a wild/carefree side of Adam. Moments like the mischievous sightseeing pose, timely up/down bouncing and gravity defying splits, seemed to showcase a freedom to the choreography, making the couple come off even more personable and relatable. While he should be careful not to overextend his long, free arm (and to better express his free hand a bit), thought this week was a nice opportunity that allowed him to blend in his emotions/fun personality, into the dance steps/technique itself, and how nice it will be to see how he can continue to build off of this exploratory week.

Josh & Sharna - thought this was his best week so far. Nice to see how better centered he was in the contemporary performance, and that he had better balance in the spins this time around. Thought the combination of a slow music, long, languid movements, his natural strength, and his affinity to create statuesque poses all suited Josh and helped Sharna to create a moving, dream-like contemporary performance. Think she should continue using those assets/advantages moving forward into the finale. Also thought his salsa showed improvement, especially in his posture, as he was more upright relative to his week 1 cha cha. Felt as if he enjoyed the salsa performance, as the very short, compact movements also seemed to better suit his body and style as well. Thought it was also nice to see how Sharna once again used his natural strength into the salsa with great effect. Think Josh also has an unusual ability to feel/paint the music with his hands/finger (week 1 cha cha) in the air, as it seems to leave a streaking energetic mark when passing over the music during the routine. Looking forward to how Josh builds upon a nice, successful week as well.

Tonya & Sasha - thought Tonya had nice arm styling in the rumba, and agree that her lines are getting better with better overall motion (Bruno). Liked the weightless quality and freedom of the spin towards the end, as she showed similar moments throughout her rumba as well. Thought she made a nice effort to connect with Sasha and the music and how she was able to cary that out well towards the very end. Agree a bit with the lack of hip action (Len, Burno); an alemana seemed to be slowly developing to one's delight, only to be slightly truncated at a key moment. Despite this and her struggle with learning the cha cha, thought Tonya still gave it her best ability in the dance-off. Thought she gave her very best in the cuban breaks and check sections and made a concerted effort to sell the performance through her lively facial expression. Still think maybe in the latin she can match the enthusiasm and exuberance of Sasha just a bit, but think she'll continue to build upon this week and to improve moving forward.

Congrats to the winners of season 26 DWTS 2018 and wishing them the very best moving forward. Best of luck to all the celebs and looking forward to their dances.

• Love 3

Lavenderblue, thanks for placing the birdcage dance -- I knew it looked familiar from SYTYCD, but I couldn't remember the details.

I continue to be frustrated by the speed of this season ... I certainly hope this abbreviated format will not continue next year.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, HelenCrump said:

I continue to be frustrated by the speed of this season ... I certainly hope this abbreviated format will not continue next year.

Tom tweeted earlier tonight that it was unlikely we would ever see a 4 week season again.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

Tom tweeted earlier tonight that it was unlikely we would ever see a 4 week season again.

Thank you.  I am so glad to hear that.  I am not sure I would watch another four week run.

• Love 3

I'm okay with the final 3, but it would have been interesting to see how Chris would do in a full season.

I absolutely love Tom. As long as he is hosting, I will watch no matter who the contestants are.

What was the point of the mentors? They were pretty much useless, and Von wasn't even there.

Glad Mirai is gone, especially after how she was acting/talking tonight.

Preferred Josh's contemporary over Adam's, but YMMV. Surprised he didn't get at least one 10.

On 5/14/2018 at 10:28 PM, chocolatine said:

On a full season, someone like Chris - who I think most viewers knew nothing about prior to the show - would have improved week over week and become the audience favorite due to his personality.

Agree.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

For the sake of Toonces, I'm glad Maks was nowhere near DWTS and Meryl last night. Had he been, I probably would have stabbed myself. Multiple times. With a really sharp object.

See I have an issue with this. Dwts isnt Sytycd where they actually choreographers come in to help the contestants. This is why if it isnt ballroom related it needs to be left for freestyle. I think its so unfair for any of the pro to get credit if they got outside help, I mean atleast give credit due on tv. I didnt think Jenna choreographed that anyway, she is no Allison who is queen of contemporary. Its so many pros who have gotten outside help on choreography and we think it was their work. As good as everyone likes to place derek and mark, even they have gotten the ir fair share of outside help.

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, kitcloudkicker said:

It reminded me more of this one 

The birdcage, as someone said up-thread, is the same set  DWTS used for Jana and Laurie's routine and Adam and Jenna's routine. Having said that....the similarity between Adam and Jenna's routine and Lex and Taylor is they are all birds. Lex, by far, has the best interpretation of assimilating a bird. He is one hell of a dancer. Have to give props to Adam, however as he was stunning in the piece with Jenna.

8 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

Preferred Josh's contemporary over Adam's, but YMMV. Surprised he didn't get at least one 10.

Respectfully disagree here. For me, Josh was a forklift with little transitions for him to build upon for dance movement. Adam, OTOH, was stunning in his piece and his movement and interpretation jumped through my TV screen and hit me hard. He was beautiful in that. As someone said up-thread.....Adam should win this season just on that dance alone.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, luvthepros said:

Respectfully disagree here. For me, Josh was a forklift with little transitions for him to build upon for dance movement. Adam, OTOH, was stunning in his piece and his movement and interpretation jumped through my TV screen and hit me hard. He was beautiful in that. As someone said up-thread.....Adam should win this season just on that dance alone.

Josh was given the non contemporary dancer routine. He was used as forklift like u said. He may have shown more emotion to some but his dancing was nowhere close to what Adam was doing. Adam actually danced.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Thadeeeyus said:

Last night's votes were for the winner.  The finale this season is just a one-hour show on Monday, rather than the usual two-night, four-hour extravaganza.  So we will have no opportunity to vote next week for the winner, as we usually would have after Monday night's show.  It's unfortunate that they didn't make that clear earlier in the show.  As someone mentioned, some people voted before the show's end and most likely wasted votes on couples that were eliminated at show's end.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, LadyMustang65 said:

Last night's votes were for the winner.  The finale this season is just a one-hour show on Monday, rather than the usual two-night, four-hour extravaganza.  So we will have no opportunity to vote next week for the winner, as we usually would have after Monday night's show.  It's unfortunate that they didn't make that clear earlier in the show.  As someone mentioned, some people voted before the show's end and most likely wasted votes on couples that were eliminated at show's end.

This season is such a mess.  On the first show, I didn't even know that you could call in after the show to vote who stays in the second week.  They just kept talking about voting using the app to determine who goes that day.  It wasn't even for people like me who live closer to the West Coast.  So they could have said it but I wasn't really paying attention because I kept thinking that I couldn't vote.

• Love 2
(edited)
19 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

But. Tonya still didn't mention anything about that on THIS show, or even a general statement about how she made some poor choices in the 90s and that she is trying to atone for those choices now. She has an external locus of control in that others are responsible for her fate (i.e., I was banned from skating because I'm no longer accepted, or something to that effect).  

Yeah, I mean I'm torn.  I believe in self-determination and self-responsibility.  But I'm also very sympathetic to young kids who are abused.  Tonya used to cuss out judges when she was a young kid and had some serious anger issues. But her mom really was a piece of work, and really abused her badly from a very young age. And there's irony there too, because, as her mom states, it's probably what made Tonya such a tough competitor. But abuse like that takes its toll and I think that likely lead to poor choices when she was young and a poor marriage choice at a very young age to a very abusive husband.  

So, yeah, a lot of her circumstances were not all her fault and of course some were.  But that's not why I admire Tonya.  

I admire Tonya, not because I think she was done wrong (she was), but for the latter half of her life and the way she's persevered and made a life for herself.  She was the most hated woman in America.  I hated her!  And now I'm ashamed because I was following the hate mob.  But she didn't crumble as most would have in that situation.  She persevered.  She's a really cool person now and even inspirational, if you can forgive the early sins.  Yes, she's still got the rough edges, and I doubt she'll lose them, but they're are kind of endearing.  She's real she's raw, you get what you see.  She speaks from the heart.  She's turned a horrible story into a great story if you're willing to read the whole book. 

Edited by Calmin
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Calmin said:

I admire Tonya, not because I think she was done wrong (she was), but for the latter half of her life and the way she's persevered and made a life for herself.  She was the most hated woman in America.  I hated her!  And now I'm ashamed because I was following the hate mob.  But she didn't crumble as most would have in that situation.  She persevered.  She's a really cool person now and even inspirational, if you can forgive the early sins.  Yes, she's still got the rough edges, and I doubt she'll lose them, but they're are kind of endearing.  She's real she's raw, you get what you see.  She speaks from the heart.  She's turned a horrible story into a great story if you're willing to read the whole book. 

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but what has she done lately that is so inspirational? Has she done charity work? Has she donated money to needy children? All I've heard about is her sex tape and mud wrestling and her cheesy reality shows. I'm not trying to be snarky, and if she has done good things that I'm not aware of, then I'll be the first to admit I was wrong about her.

• Love 7
On 5/15/2018 at 2:44 AM, anonymiss said:

I'm bitterly not. This show has always screwed over the better dancer for the sensational story, which is the norm in show business.

Yes. When Adam joked, "The one thing I'm grateful for is that I'm a beautiful crier," that is exactly the kind of attitude Mirai tries to emulate but because she is a woman she can't. In Adam's case, everyone laughed and thought, "Isn't he wonderful?" In her (or any woman's case) it'd be, "How dare she be so egotistical! What a snob!"

On 5/15/2018 at 5:27 AM, Koalagirl said:

It’s not that because Mirai is a woman that she can’t get away with saying the things she says.  It’s because Adam (and I’m not a huge fan of his) says it with a hint of humor but Mirai hasn’t learned about nuance and just sounds spoiled and mean.

I have no problem with women being snarky on this show (Erin makes a decently funny comment every so often) but somehow Marai's comments just fall flat. Adam has a clunker occasionally also, but more of his comments seem natural. An example of Marai's awkwardness was when the dance-off was being critiqued, and one of the judges (Len?) mentioned better kicks & flicks, Marai lifted up her leg, as she knew he was referring to her, and it was so strange and out of place that everyone froze. I don't think she understands what works with an audience. 

On 5/15/2018 at 8:59 AM, Toonces464 said:

They can't make up a finalist. All those things that involve votes are very closely regulated.

As someone else mentioned, they may not tinker with votes, but from the first moment of the first show of a season, the producers are carefully editing, packaging, assigning songs & dances, giving the judges a script, and on and on and on. There's a ton of manipulation. 

On 5/15/2018 at 1:19 PM, saber5055 said:

Which brings me to: I love David Ross.

When they announced him as guest judge, I groaned. I normally loathe guest judges! But color me surprised that he was a great judge - pithy, meaningful comments, wove in his own experiences on the show but in a natural way, and had some good critiques. He was better than Cher, Maks, Jessie J, Shania Twain, Pitbull, (not a high bar to clear) and a whole bunch of other guest judges I can't remember. 

• Love 5
On 5/15/2018 at 9:59 AM, Toonces464 said:

They can't make up a finalist. All those things that involve votes are very closely regulated.

As far as I'm aware, that only applies to game shows, where actual prizes are awarded.

Because the cast of the show - pros and celebs alike - are paid a participation fee and being that the only thing you win on DWTS is a sparkly mirror ball on a stick and some name recognition for your participation, I'm thinking those FCC regulations don't apply. It's why the show is classified as "reality television" and not a "game show".

• Love 4