Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E24: The Bow Tie Asymmetry

It was a touching episode and wedding.  Better than most TV weddings. 

Only thing missing was mee maw, as discussed

I didn't even think about Will Wheaton and Jerry Oconnell being together again until I read about it here.  I would have had them do a duo karaoke at the reception singing Stand By Me. 

Maybe Stuart will finally get a real GF next season. 

I loved seeing Missy again and I, too, wonder what purpose it served to have her separated and pregnant.

Separated probably just so they didn't have to cast a husband. 

Pregnant, I don't know.  Is the actress pregnant?  Or maybe something to do with the Young Sheldon show.  I don't watch it, only saw a few episodes.

• Love 8
(edited)

Somehow the bridal gown didn't look as bad as it did a couple episodes ago. Maybe it's just because we didn't see "normal" dresses before it to compare, but it seemed like maybe they altered the top portion of it a little bit? And she was wearing a tiara all right but I don't know if it was the same one Sheldon gave her. Probably, but I don't remember what the original looked like. 

With so many things they had to leave on the editing room floor or out of the script altogether, you have to wonder why they didn't go for an hour-long show, or some super-sized 40-minute show they could take time away from Young Sheldon. My guess? $$$ There's probably something in the actors' contracts that requires paying them extra money for anything outside the normal 22-minute episode. Plus, I'm sure Kathy Bates and Mark Hamill don't work for cheap.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 4
(edited)

I didn't even think about Will Wheaton and Jerry Oconnell being together again until I read about it here.  I would have had them do a duo karaoke at the reception singing Stand By Me. 

Awesome idea. That would have been perfection.

I loved how when Penny came in with Amy's parents, she was already so done with Amy's mother.

I liked that Sheldon listened to Amy and decided to have a less than perfect bow-tie.

I must admit, this episode had it all. I laughed hysterically at Wolowitz screeching like a fangirl at Mark Hamill (although, how did they not know Luke Skywalker lived in their neighborhood?).

Dogs can cover remarkable distances. It's possible that Mark does not live in the neighborhood and the dog just ended up far from home. When I was a kid, our dog ran away from the groomers - she was about the size of Bark Hamill and she must have gone at least 15 miles crossing two highways to get home. 

Now three members of the Skywalker clan have been on TBBT - James Earl Jones (Annakin), Carrie Fisher (Leia) and Mark Hamill (Luke).

Edited by kili
  • Love 10
16 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Aww, that was sweet. And no stupid cliches like the best man losing the rings or Amy/Sheldon getting cold feet and needing to be talked around. Just geeking out on Science, which is totally in character!

Teller speaks! And Stuart finds his soulmate.

Yes! I love that Stuart has found someone who can really geek out with. I hope it works out for them. 

16 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I loved that the holdup wasn't from anyone chickening out. They were just too engrossed in a potential scientific breakthrough. Just perfect for them. 

16 hours ago, chaifan said:

I agree with everything already said.  Great episode through and through.  No stupid wedding cliches, in fact, possibly the most original "delay" that has every occurred in a TV or movie wedding. 

Agreed. As someone who watches a lot of sitcoms, I kept thinking, what is going to go wrong, and never in a million years would I have come up with that. It was so in keeping with who the characters are, and it was a wonderful moment. 

2 hours ago, BlossomCulp said:

I think the main reason she wasn't there is because with Amy's mother present they didn't need another unpleasant woman in the room.  But also it's realistic to me that flying across country ain't cheap and Beverly isn't Sheldon's mother.  

My guess is that since Beverly isn't sentimental, they will explain it away with she had a commitment, like an important presentation at a major conference or something similar. 

I really wish this had been an hour long. It felt like there was so much more they could have done, and it all would have been fantastic. 

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

Here's a tweet that includes the Stephen Hawking clip

Thanks for sharing that!  It was really a sweet moment but I'm glad they didn't include it in the finale - the ending with Kripke singing was perfect.  I wonder if they will pick up at the end of the wedding for the season opener next year?  It would be one way to use the guest stars again.

• Love 9

I was expecting the recessional music to be either the Star Wars Throne Room theme or the closing music of Star Trek TNG.  I thought that Amys dress was too much but somehow they made it work.

• Love 3
7 HOURS AGO, SIGMAFORCE86 SAID:

ETA: Also read that…they also had to cut an end scene where Sheldon & Amy get a wedding gift from the late Stephen Hawking

And ***sob sniffle*** it's posted here: http://ew.com/tv/2018/05/11/big-bang-theory-stephen-hawking-finale-tribute/

4 HOURS AGO, MSTAR1125 SAID:
  • This could have been a longer episode, given all the things they reportedly cut, but an hour would have been too long (we need the return of the 40-minute NBC supersize episodes, which would have been a perfect length).…

A commercial-free half hour would've done it. It's not like they couldn't have afforded to publicize that they were, say, donating the money that would've been spent on commercials to fund research on ALS (what Stephen Hawking had).

4 HOURS AGO, MSTAR1125 SAID:
  • ETA: I expect this episode, and a lot of the individual performances, to be up for multiple Emmys this year. Just well done all around. 

Any and all Emmys won from this episode would be well deserved and serve to keep this episode on the map for posterity, but, darn it, I guess Bill Hader's Barry will have to be "happy just to have been nominated."

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, BookWitch said:

I was expecting the recessional music to be either the Star Wars Throne Room theme or the closing music of Star Trek TNG.

I was expecting Soft Kitty!

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

Please, don't hook up Missy with Raj. She deserves better than a whiny, spoiled, misogynistic loser like Raj.

It could be fun to watch her whip him (not literally) into shape—like Amy did with Sheldon.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

It could be fun to watch her whip him (not literally) into shape—like Amy did with Sheldon.

I would pay money to see this!  I don't see Missy letting Raj get away with anything and I'd love to see her on the show.  I do agree with whoever mentioned upthread that adding another cast member might be too much though.

• Love 3

Raj definitely needs a personality adjustment before he's ever going to have a successful relationship with a woman. He's had two semi-decent relationships he blew up by being an idiot. He still has a lot of growing up to do, especially since it doesn't seem like he's learned anything from his misteps.

Dogs can cover remarkable distances. It's possible that Mark does not live in the neighborhood and the dog just ended up far from home.

It's also possible Mark was just visiting someone nearby when the dog got away from him.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, LadyKenobi said:

Mark Hamill's career was once perfectly summed up as "a cul de sac" of Star Wars because, in his words, "I've got Lucasfilm tattooed on my ass." I really don't understand why he didn't take off much, much more outside of voice acting; Harrison Ford was handicapped the same way, but... he's Harrison Fucking Ford. Carrie Fisher had minor comedy roles and became a writer/script doctor, and both studiously avoided Star Wars until it became geek chick. Mark kinda threw up his hands about it earlier. It's a shame Mark didn't do as well because he really isn't a bad actor, especially, as noted here, in comedy. His performance in ROTJ was quite good. Both he and Will were good sports here.

To those who have never watched "Batman: The Animated Series", go, now, and find episodes during the run which feature the Joker.

THAT is Mark Hamill.

He's had a tremendous run doing voicework, and he is arguably the BEST JOKER EVER, including the live-action versions.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, wendyg said:

Potts is a fine actress, but I think she'd struggle to age 25 years for Mee-Maw's current age. Still wish it were Mary Kay Place.

She would have made a good MeeMaw, but I can't fault Annie Potts for her performance of the role. She's run with it and is a big part of the success of YS, I think.

• Love 8

Annie Potts is Meemaw as far as I'm concerned, and I say this as someone (a rare someone I think) who actually liked the actress who portrayed her when Meemaw was on BBT.  I'd love to see them do at least a phone call or two with Meemaw next season.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, NutmegsDad said:

To those who have never watched "Batman: The Animated Series", go, now, and find episodes during the run which feature the Joker.

THAT is Mark Hamill.

He's had a tremendous run doing voicework, and he is arguably the BEST JOKER EVER, including the live-action versions.

He did voice work for one of the characters in the audio for World War Z. He was fantastic! I would have never guessed it was him. 

• Love 1

Mark Hamill's career was once perfectly summed up as "a cul de sac" of Star Warsbecause, in his words, "I've got Lucasfilm tattooed on my ass." I really don't understand why he didn't take off much, much more outside of voice acting; Harrison Ford was handicapped the same way, but... he's Harrison Fucking Ford. Carrie Fisher had minor comedy roles and became a writer/script doctor, and both studiously avoided Star Wars until it became geek chick. Mark kinda threw up his hands about it earlier. It's a shame Mark didn't do as well because he really isn't a bad actor, especially, as noted here, in comedy. His performance in ROTJ was quite good. Both he and Will were good sports here.

I have liked Mark for a long time now, since I saw him in the pilot of Eight is Enough.  I know after Star Wars he did some theater as well.  I figure if you gave him the choice of Harrison’s career and three marriages or his career and family, he would say he is fine with the life he leads.  His voice-over work is terrific!

I loved him last night; he and Wil played off each other perfectly, and I liked that Wil was actually disappointed he didn’t get to preside over the wedding.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, 2727 said:

I was expecting Soft Kitty!

But no one was sick......

1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

Please, don't hook up Missy with Raj. She deserves better than a whiny, spoiled, misogynistic loser like Raj.

Me three.  Raj, she is still married, she lives in Texas....just no falling in love with her, please.

Man, Will Wheaton and Jerry O'Connell have aged VERY well!!!!

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, Mystery said:

I know Annie Potts is too young to have gone to the wedding as MeeMaw, but with Mark Hamill, it would have been a Corvette Summer reunion! (Yes, I'm old.)

I'm that old too. 

• Love 6

Sheldon's mother wore the same dress to Penny and Leonard's wedding!  I was checking YouTube to see if the deleted telephone scene with MeeMaw had surfaced, (not yet)  and happened to see a clip of Leonard and Penny's wedding.  The dress looked familiar to me and I checked out last night's episode, and yes, the same dress!

Not that it matters, just found it to be interesting.

Add me to those who think that maybe the actress who plays Missy is pregnant in real life.  

• Love 3

LadyKenobi: Not necessarily. Mark Hamill may have seen it as a way to show he can do something besides Luke - he's basically been retired since the 1970s. (Plus, how can he say no to a show that's already had so many other great scifi names?) And Kathy Bates has a history of working with Chuck Lorre: besides DISJOINTED, which has been canceled after one season, she played Charlie Sheen's ghost on TWO AND A HALF MEN (which I thought was hysterically funny - she had him down to a T).

5 hours ago, BlossomCulp said:

I think the main reason she wasn't there is because with Amy's mother present they didn't need another unpleasant woman in the room.

I think the unpleasantness worked better coming from Amy's mother, even though they had to change the character (and actress) to do it. It allowed for the symmetry of Penny to shut down both mothers of the couple.

16 hours ago, Mystery said:

I'm guessing, from the lack of other posts, that I'm the only one who looked up evenyoucanperformweddings.com and was bitterly disappointed. 

It looks like somebody registered that domain yesterday morning. But the same thing with dashes between the words seems to be available for the moment.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Sheldon's mother wore the same dress to Penny and Leonard's wedding!  I was checking YouTube to see if the deleted telephone scene with MeeMaw had surfaced, (not yet)  and happened to see a clip of Leonard and Penny's wedding.  The dress looked familiar to me and I checked out last night's episode, and yes, the same dress!

That's very cool.

Damn, I never came closer to shedding tears at a wedding (real or fictional) - that was unexpected. Loved everything about it.  Howard being such a good friend, Will Wheaton being such a good sport and Stuart for once being competent and happy. And just when I thought 'This is almost perfect - too bad Kripke's not here' the singing started LOL!

Honorable mention goes to Penny for being an awesome bridesmaid!

And since I may have spent too much time in forums discussing royal bling for next week's big wedding I did check: Amy was wearing the tiara Sheldon gave her. And on a side-note: Mayim Bialik's make-up was great.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

Not that it matters, just found it to be interesting.

Add me to those who think that maybe the actress who plays Missy is pregnant in real life.  

I dress very casually in my daily life.  About every five or ten years, I purchase what I call my all-purpose wedding/funeral outfit.  Maybe Mary does the same thing, in a more conservative way.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

The show should have been an hour. I wanted more time "attending" this wedding and it looks like some good scenes were cut out. They managed to make "Mom" an hour, why not this? I get they wanted the Young Sheldon follow up but something else could have been done. 

I so agree, they could've easily done an hour. I loved the episode, but MeeMaw and more interaction with all the great guest stars at the reception would've been so cool.

2 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

Annie Potts is Meemaw as far as I'm concerned, and I say this as someone (a rare someone I think) who actually liked the actress who portrayed her when Meemaw was on BBT.  I'd love to see them do at least a phone call or two with Meemaw next season.

I also had no issues with the original Meemaw, but yes, Annie Potts owns the role now. 

• Love 2

I loved it, it was absolutely wonderful. And the best part of the episode for me was that moment when Sheldon and Amy forgot their own wedding for a moment because of science, and Leonard went after them and forgot it as well. I also like the new girl. And god, Sheldon loves Amy so much... Well done.

• Love 13
(edited)

Wedding photos:

Wedding Photos

I don't think Amy's dress looked the same as in last week's episode.  "Pile of swans" really described it last week, this dress, not so much.

Or, it could just be me.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, Trey said:

don't think Amy's dress looked the same as in last week's episode.  "Pile of swans" really described it last week, this dress, not so much.

Or, it could just be me.

I felt the same way.  The dress is the same but calmed down.  I'd have to see the pictures of the two of them side by side to really see the difference but I totally agree there was a difference!

• Love 3
(edited)
25 minutes ago, Trey said:

I don't think Amy's dress looked the same as in last week's episode.  "Pile of swans" really described it last week, this dress, not so much.

Or, it could just be me.

No, you are absolutely right.

Because I have way too much time on my hands I checked out her dress from the previous episode.  It had a little cape that tied up in front.  Also, it had gloves.  The dress she wore last night had no cape, no gloves.  It looked better, IMO.  Still not something I would choose, but much better.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 5
(edited)

Just watched this again.  Still brilliantly funny.  And I noticed something I had missed first time around, Penny breaking up as she walks past Kripke at the end.  I don't know if that was scripted or she broke character, either way, good stuff!

Oh and I think Mary's reaction to Missy being separated from her husband was a good indicator of why even though Mary and George ended up having a troubled marriage it never ended up in divorce.   

Edited by BlossomCulp
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Me three.  Raj, she is still married, she lives in Texas....just no falling in love with her, please.

I thought they were going to hook Raj up with the other woman with pink eye in line at the pharmacy last week.

• Love 4

Loved the episode, but I agree with others who suggested that it should have been an hour - or two half hour episodes.

That would have allowed more time for family members to have more than two lines.  So lots of family time in the first half hour and the wedding and post wedding in the second hour.  

Meemaw should have been there.  So what if she's in her 90s.  My mother-in-law is in her 90s and she's been to at least four family weddings in the past few years.  Any good make-up artists could have aged her to be a woman in her 90s. 

• Love 4
(edited)
7 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

And she describes the dress

That dress was actually made up of a strapless gown, a lace top with buttons all the way down my back, not one but two capelets, a “horsehair” structured hoop skirt, two jeweled accessories (one over the capelets, one about my waist), and an added grosgrain pink ribbon and lacy flowers

So does this mean

6 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I checked out her dress from the previous episode.  It had a little cape that tied up in front.  

the dress pile of swans in the penultimate episode fitting room scene ha 3 capelets?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

And she describes the dress

So does this mean

the dress in the penultimate episode fitting room scene ha 3 capelets?

I think just a different capelet. You can see the evolution of the dress in the linked gallery.

In the added Hawking scene, Amy looked great. The outfit was in keeping with the character but not as frumpy as she has been lately.  Next season, I hope Mayim and her stylist keep that look which is consistent but not as dreary.

• Love 3
On 5/10/2018 at 8:42 PM, DrScottie said:

That was great! 

I would have loved to have heard Mark Hamill say "By the power vested in me by the Force..."

I loved that the holdup wasn't from anyone chickening out. They were just too engrossed in a potential scientific breakthrough. Just perfect for them. 

As a big fan of Penn & Teller, I can't believe we just saw Teller speak. 

"by the power...." would have been great!

as for teller, he's spoken before. i've heard him.

I apologize if this is only funny to me, but my prim and restrained sister sent me this:

"I have to say that was the BEST EPISODE IN THE HISTORY OF THAT SERIES, OR ANY ENSEMBLE SERIES! I laughed (a lot), I cried (a lot), and even read the entire credits (by accident) at the end. It didn't need the stuff that was cut out--it was FREAKING PERFECT! OMG Kathy Bates! Mark Hamill! Penn (or was it Teller)! And Bawy singing "My wuv has come awong" at the end. I will never stop laughing. Amazing. 50 stars out of 10!"

• Love 23
4 hours ago, madfortv said:

In the added Hawking scene, Amy looked great. The outfit was in keeping with the character but not as frumpy as she has been lately.  Next season, I hope Mayim and her stylist keep that look which is consistent but not as dreary.

It looked like she still had her wedding makeup and hair.  Maybe the scene was supposed to be later that day, post reception.  But I noticed Penny's hair wasn't still done like it was in the wedding, so maybe not. 

Personally, I don't want them to change Amy at this point.  Maybe if there were another few seasons to go, do a gradual change, but I don't want a change just for a final season.  Same goes for Raj - I mentioned up thread that I don't want them to pair him off just because the show is ending and everyone has to be all nicely wrapped up in a bow.  (And, please, don't pair him with Missy.) 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, 2727 said:

It didn't need the stuff that was cut out--it was FREAKING PERFECT!

Absolutely agree!  It hit all the right notes and it was good enough that I've now seen it 3 times and still find things I didn't notice the first time around - like in my last viewing I noticed Penny lifting her glass in silent desperation and Leonard filling it without either of them ever making eye contact!  Loved that!

• Love 9
21 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

No, she doesn't....loathe Missy on both series...