Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E24: The Bow Tie Asymmetry

On 5/10/2018 at 7:52 PM, MelinaBallerina said:

If that's not BBT's version of "Wuv, Twue Wuv"....

Ha.

Aaaaaand now I need a deleted scene with Kripke officiating and quoting the whole scene.

"Mawwaige. Mawwaige is what bwings us togevver today. Mawwaige, that bwessed awwangement. That dweam wivvin a dweam."

• Love 13

I find it hard to believe that the woman who raised Amy Farrah Fowler would wear pants to a wedding.  And why didn't Penny walk down the aisle as the matron of honor?  

Given those minor quibbles, I agree with the rest of you - this was one of the best BBT episodes.  My other favorites are the one with Sheldon on the driving simulator, the Christmas episode when Penny gives Sheldon Leonard Nimoy's used napkin, when Penny is hurt and Sheldon takes her to the hospital, and the one about the letter from Howard's father.  I also have a fondness for the episode where Howard and Amy bond over their mutual love for Neil Diamond. and the one where Howard says, "I ate a butterfly."  Perhaps the funniest line delivery in the show's run for me.  

This episode will stay on the DVR for a while.  

• Love 11
20 hours ago, buckboard said:

Meemaw should have been there.  So what if she's in her 90s.  My mother-in-law is in her 90s and she's been to at least four family weddings in the past few years.  Any good make-up artists could have aged her to be a woman in her 90s. 

They aged Estelle Getty and Bea Arthur(as her grandmother) on the Golden Girls thirty years ago. Annie Potts is around the age they were at the time. An aged MeeMaw would've been icing on the wedding cake. 

• Love 6
(edited)
38 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I find it hard to believe that the woman who raised Amy Farrah Fowler would wear pants to a wedding.

I have elderly relatives who never wear dresses - I don't have a problem thinking a woman in her 60s can be a straitlaced prude but still prefer the comfort of slacks and a sweater.  It is weird though that we never seem to see Amy in pants.  I know it's been said this is because Mayim Bialik doesn't wear them in public and the powers that be respect that but I can see where on the show this is a choice Amy makes not a choice imposed on her  by her mother.

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Calvada said:

this was one of the best BBT episodes.  My other favorites are…
the Christmas episode when Penny gives Sheldon Leonard Nimoy's used napkin

Oh, yes. That one too!

8 hours ago, Calvada said:

I also have a fondness for the episode where Howard and Amy bond over their mutual love for Neil Diamond

And yes, love that scene. 
But this episode seems to have one great moment after another, rather than just a terrific scene or a even a slow build to one great moment (like the Blue Jay laying an egg or the hug for Leonard Nemoy's napkin). 

I wonder if they could start the next season with opening wedding presents so the world can see the Stephen Hawking gift scene—although I suppose having it on YouTube is out there for the whole world.

• Love 3
(edited)

I had some issues with it, as you know I am just not a fan of the dress at all and personally I would have liked to have seen more of the actual wedding. Their first dance for example which was a huge part of the episode earlier in the season when Sheldon stopped them getting married at City Hall. I wonder what cake they had? lol

But I loved the vows, they were very moving and as someone who has watched their journey over the years, seen those moments and their relationship develop I am not going to lie I did get rather emotional at the vow bit. If I had gone to a wedding in real life and heard vows like that and if I didn't know the couple that well it wouldn't hit me emotionally as it did with this, because I HAVE SEEN their story unfold.

For 21 minutes I thought some minor personal bugbears aside it was an excellent episode, all those guest stars enhanced the story and added to it not totally dominated it. I think with the renewal of vows ceremony for Leonard and Penny all that Guest Star power did take over and critics reviews at the time reflected that.

The casting was great especially Amy's parents and I hope we see them again in Season 12, I would love to learn more about them, but Amy is by far and away my favourite character on the show so I was always going to want to see that lol.

Edited by Edmond83
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, One Tough Cookie said:

My big question is:  did Dr Fowler and Dr Cooper have post nuptial coitus on the wedding night?

We will never know lol

Presumably, we will get the annual gag again this year in 12.11, as the writers find it so funny. Though they showed in 10.23 that they don't always stick to their annual agreement.

10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I wonder if they could start the next season with opening wedding presents so the world can see the Stephen Hawking gift scene—although I suppose having it on YouTube is out there for the whole world.

Or have a flashback in another episode where they remember Stephen Hawking.  It just won't feel right, if the characters don't acknowledge his death, in an actual episode. 

• Love 4

Great script and perfect casting!  Definitely one of the best - in not THE best - BBT episodes of all time.  The only thing really missing was the ghost of Captain Proton.

If I were Leonard, would have still taken a picture of that formula though.

• Love 4
On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:41 PM, 2727 said:

I was expecting the recessional music to be either the Star Wars Throne Room theme or the closing music of Star Trek TNG.

I was expecting Sheldon to start his vows in Klingon!

I did get a bit misty eyed when Mary and Sheldon had their little talk.

Watching Sheldon thank his Mom for everything for his entire life was really touching.  That meant the world to her, as it would to any Mom!  

• Love 5

I felt badly for poor Bark Hamill when Simon shrieked, because the doggie looked like he really flinched at the high-pitched sound.

Otherwise I loved all of it, and when Sheldon and Amy write their paper he can give all the credit to Mary for helping him with the breakthrough.

• Love 2
On 5/12/2018 at 8:12 PM, CherryAmes said:

I have elderly relatives who never wear dresses - I don't have a problem thinking a woman in her 60s can be a straitlaced prude but still prefer the comfort of slacks and a sweater.  It is weird though that we never seem to see Amy in pants.  I know it's been said this is because Mayim Bialik doesn't wear them in public and the powers that be respect that but I can see where on the show this is a choice Amy makes not a choice imposed on her  by her mother.

I'm old(ish) and have to wear compression socks and comfort shoes.  I wouldn't be caught dead in a dress with those, but dressy slacks and nice-looking squishy flats work for any occasion.

• Love 5

I do wonder if Shamy will work on their project next season, maybe it turns out that the fortune teller was right when she told Sheldon that if he committed to her fully then everything will fall into place personally and professionally.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Edmond83 said:

I do wonder if Shamy will work on their project next season, maybe it turns out that the fortune teller was right when she told Sheldon that if he committed to her fully then everything will fall into place personally and professionally.

Good catch!  I forgot about that episode.  Maybe they'll revisit that in a flashback. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I loved this episode.  It was like watching my own wedding.  We both had written down what we wanted to say to each other, and both forgot to bring our cheat sheets to the ceremony.  I absolutely crushed my part, though (practiced many times in my head during those pre-wedding sleepless nights), and when I was done (I'm kind of sorry I didn't do a mic drop, actually), he literally said, "I have no words..." so I just about fell off the couch when it went down the same way for Amy and Sheldon.  We also had a good laugh over "Maybe save something for the wedding night..." when Sheldon was so excited about Amy's love growing exponentially, not linearly (or whatever it was)...I married an engineer who loves himself a good Excel spreadsheet, and whenever I tell him about something I'm putting together for one work project or another, he likes to joke, "I'm so turned on.  I could take you right here."  Yes, we are both dorks :)  My husband was on a business trip out of the country on Thursday, and I couldn't wait for him to get home this weekend so I could watch it again with him.  It was awful dusty in the living room when we finally got to watch together over brunch yesterday!

Edited by Lovecat
  • Love 10
4 minutes ago, Lovecat said:

My husband was on a business trip out of the country on Thursday, and I couldn't wait for him to get home this weekend so I could watch it again with him.  It was awful dusty in the living room when we finally got to watch together over brunch yesterday!

Shout out to someone else married to an engineer!  My husband has been very hit or miss about TBBT, he will watch if he's around and I have it on but I wouldn't describe him as a fan.  Until this year.  I know most diehard fans think the show is not what it used to be but at least for my husband this is the year that he "got it" and now tunes in to the reruns as well as the current episodes.  That said I think he loved this episode almost as much as I did.  And I'd definitely second the views of others I've heard who are encouraging one time fans "if you only watch one more episode, watch this one!"

• Love 5
On 5/12/2018 at 10:57 AM, chaifan said:

Same goes for Raj - I mentioned up thread that I don't want them to pair him off just because the show is ending and everyone has to be all nicely wrapped up in a bow.  

Actually I always thought Abby and Martha from "The Psychic Vortex" were the best matches for both Raj and Sheldon! The show seems to have gone a different route, thought. Too bad they never did more with Danica McKellar, at least.

• Love 1
On 5/12/2018 at 9:08 PM, babyhouseman said:

An aged MeeMaw would've been icing on the wedding cake. 

It would have been a tight squeeze in the car with Mary, George, and Missy, although I expect it was the room in the budget for this episode that was the deciding factor.

On 5/12/2018 at 8:36 PM, Calvada said:

I find it hard to believe that the woman who raised Amy Farrah Fowler would wear pants to a wedding.  

My mother wore a very nice pantsuit to my brother's wedding. That's what she was most comfortable in.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

t would have been a tight squeeze in the car with Mary, George, and Missy, although I expect it was the room in the budget for this episode that was the deciding factor.

George wasn't in the car.  Did they mention at some point why he came in separately?  Perhaps he doesn't live in the same town as Mary and Missy anymore?

11 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

George wasn't in the car.  Did they mention at some point why he came in separately?  Perhaps he doesn't live in the same town as Mary and Missy anymore?

Sheldon and Leonard flew to Dallas when they visited George. Mary and Missy live in Galveston.

• Love 4

I love those little background glimpses of George and Missy. Like George throwing his arms open to greet Missy or that look they shared at the ceremony when Sheldon asked about linear progression.  Seeing the three siblings together on Young Sheldon has made me really want to see more of them together as adults. I wonder if the actors playing the young and old sets of George (Montana/Jerry) and Missy (Reagen/Courtney) have met.

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I wonder if the actors playing the young and old sets of George (Montana/Jerry) and Missy (Reagen/Courtney) have met.

I saw some pictures on TBBT's FB page of Jerry & Montana meeting, and one of Courtney & Reagan on Raegan's FB page.  I believe that their sets aren't too far from each other. 

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 3
On 5/11/2018 at 5:04 AM, Kimmmmmm said:

The only good-looking man on the show

They have been needing Raj to just admit he is gay. That is the only thing lacking from this show-- a gay character. Raj is it! Find him a boyfriend!

Otherwise the wedding was perfection. 

• Love 4
On 5/11/2018 at 1:38 PM, iMonrey said:

Raj definitely needs a personality adjustment before he's ever going to have a successful relationship with a woman. He's had two semi-decent relationships he blew up by being an idiot. He still has a lot of growing up to do, especially since it doesn't seem like he's learned anything from his misteps.

It's also possible Mark was just visiting someone nearby when the dog got away from him.

No. He's fine. He's gay that's all and a woman isn't his particular cup of tea. Raj needs to come out of the closet and find himself a nice young man!

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, taanja said:

No. He's fine. He's gay that's all and a woman isn't his particular cup of tea. Raj needs to come out of the closet and find himself a nice young man!

Lol...you're not gonna give up, are ya? ;-)

• Love 3
On May 14, 2018 at 10:46 AM, BlossomCulp said:

…My husband has been very hit or miss about TBBT, he will watch if he's around and I have it on but I wouldn't describe him as a fan.  Until this year.  I know most diehard fans think the show is not what it used to be but at least for my husband this is the year that he "got it" and now tunes in to the reruns as well as the current episodes.…

I've watched every episode from the beginning, "in sickness and in health" (both mine and the show's, LOL), and I wouldn't hesitate to say that this year the show really made a quality come back, culminating with this episode.

• Love 8
On 5/10/2018 at 7:42 PM, DrScottie said:

That was great! 

I would have loved to have heard Mark Hamill say "By the power vested in me by the Force..."

My Dr. Scottie said the same thing ;-) He also expressed a wish that Mark would have dressed like a Jedi. 

Him not knowing all of the answers to the Star Wars questions reminded me of an old (late 80s - early 90s) SNL hosted by William Shatner where he appeared at a Star Trek convention & all of the Trekkies were asking obscure questions that he did not know the answers to. He told them to get a life & move out of their parents' basements. It was funny, but I was happy that Mark Hamill was not condescending. And yay for Stuart for knowing all the answers & impressing Denise! I hope season 12 Stuart is more like he was before the show decided to turn him into a loser. 

• Love 8

I rewatched this episode the afternoon and I have a couple of wardrobe questions/comments:

1 - When Mark Hammill picks up Bark Hammill, is he wearing a t-shirt of a vomiting Mickey Mouse?

2 - I'm pretty sure my grandmother had Amy's mom's pantsuit and wore it to every.single.wedding she attended in the 80s.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

When Mark Hammill picks up Bark Hammill, is he wearing a t-shirt of a vomiting Mickey Mouse?

It looked like some kind of evil Mickey Mouse!  I was trying to figure out exactly what it was.  Maybe there's a joke there that I don't know about. 

18 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

It looked like some kind of evil Mickey Mouse!  I was trying to figure out exactly what it was.  Maybe there's a joke there that I don't know about. 

Or perhaps it's a silent commentary on Disney owning Star Wars/Lucasfilm?

Or perhaps this from a completely random website: Hamill wears a cool black t-shirt featuring a drawing of an evil looking mouse that resembles Mickey Mouse. No, that’s not the work of artists Art Spiegelman or KAWS, it’s Hamill’s son Nathan Hamill, who went to school with Simon Helberg! Mark Hamill has known Simon Helberg since he was 9. 

• Love 11
12 minutes ago, BookThief said:

Mark Hamill has known Simon Helberg since he was 9. 

That's interesting!  Thanks for the info.  Sometimes I think that Simon's acting abilities are overlooked on this show.  He does impersonations, and is a really good actor, IMO.  He deserves more kudos and awards!

• Love 20
On 5/11/2018 at 9:35 PM, Accidental Martyr said:

I thought they were going to hook Raj up with the other woman with pink eye in line at the pharmacy last week.

And I thought he was going to get together with the woman he returned the drone to? That seemed to be going somewhere. 

4 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

My Dr. Scottie said the same thing ;-) He also expressed a wish that Mark would have dressed like a Jedi. 

Him not knowing all of the answers to the Star Wars questions reminded me of an old (late 80s - early 90s) SNL hosted by William Shatner where he appeared at a Star Trek convention & all of the Trekkies were asking obscure questions that he did not know the answers to. He told them to get a life & move out of their parents' basements. It was funny, but I was happy that Mark Hamill was not condescending. And yay for Stuart for knowing all the answers & impressing Denise! I hope season 12 Stuart is more like he was before the show decided to turn him into a loser. 

OMG! I Grok Spock. I had that skit taped on my Betamax and watched it over and over :)

Overall, an amazing episode! I don't know why, but I wanted Mark Hamill & Wil Wheaton to already know each other (it seems probable) and have some ongoing rivalry about which is better, Star Wars or Star Trek (since this show has made a big deal of both). Seemed like a wasted opportunity. Otherwise, perfection. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, tessaforever said:

And I thought he was going to get together with the woman he returned the drone to? That seemed to be going somewhere. 

Until she saw Raj on the drone video being the misogynistic, disgusting creep he is.

• Love 7
On 5/13/2018 at 5:30 PM, Winston Wolfe said:

If I were Leonard, would have still taken a picture of that formula though.

We don't know that he didn't. The scene ends with him holding his phone while moving in a direction other than the way Penny left, so he may have taken a picture, but that was cut for time.

• Love 2
On 5/15/2018 at 4:42 PM, Kimmmmmm said:

Lol...you're not gonna give up, are ya? ;-)

I have been wanting a gay character since this show started. At first I thought-- Raj and Howard? Or Raj and Stewart? But the show didn't go that way. 

• Love 2
On May 16, 2018 at 5:43 PM, OtterMommy said:

2 - I'm pretty sure my grandmother had Amy's mom's pantsuit and wore it to every.single.wedding she attended in the 80s.

It would be so cool to get verification that Kathy Bates wore our very own @OtterMommy's grandmother's pant suit in this episode! Anyway, cool for @OtterMommy even if it's just another one of that same make and design.

On May 16, 2018 at 8:10 PM, BookThief said:

Mark Hamill has known Simon Helberg since he was 9. 

That makes the door opening scene even better (if that's possible).

• Love 2
On 5/16/2018 at 7:49 PM, ChitChat said:

I thought it was Darth Vader Mickey.  There's now way there would be a disrespectful Mickey on Mark Hamill.  Disney lawyers shut down those business left and right that hire out princesses for birthday parties, I can't see them allowing a knock off to be on Hamill and if they missed it, you can rest assured that its been caught and being rectified as we speak.  :)  

On 5/16/2018 at 5:38 PM, Toothbrush said:

Thing is they weren't hard questions...I would have thought an actor involved in the franchise would know simple stuff like that.

6 minutes ago, stan4 said:

.I would have thought an actor involved in the franchise would know simple stuff like that.

I thought it was great that he didn't remember that Christmas special!  I think it was eminently forgettable and apparently (according to wiki) the cast agrees!

• Love 7

I shrieked like Walowitz and screamed “”It’s Mark Hamill!” along with him. I also knew the answers to the trivia questions, including that dreadful Christmas special. I don’t blame anyone for burying the memory of that experience. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Tonight they had the episode on where they were negotiating with Barry about the wedding venue, and in this episode, he wanted to sing "Volare." I guess plans changed! Or probably, the joke was just that Leonard couldn't tell that that was what Barry had been saying. 

Edited by Mystery
On 5/12/2018 at 7:52 AM, 2727 said:

"I have to say that was the BEST EPISODE IN THE HISTORY OF THAT SERIES, OR ANY ENSEMBLE SERIES! I laughed (a lot), I cried (a lot), and even read the entire credits (by accident) at the end. It didn't need the stuff that was cut out--it was FREAKING PERFECT! OMG Kathy Bates! Mark Hamill! Penn (or was it Teller)! And Bawy singing "My wuv has come awong" at the end. I will never stop laughing. Amazing. 50 stars out of 10!"

What she said.  So much.

• Love 4
On 5/12/2018 at 11:03 AM, Kimmmmmm said:

No, she doesn't....loathe Missy on both series...

Missy in this episode was annoying -that was not a happy woman! She was better on her previous appearance. Missy on YS is cute and precocious, but definitely not very warm and/or fuzzy. 

• Love 1
On 5/14/2018 at 8:02 PM, SmithW6079 said:

My mother wore a very nice pantsuit to my brother's wedding. That's what she was most comfortable in.

I've worn pants to weddings many times. I don't have great legs and usually have a hard time finding a dress that looks good on me. Black pants, heels, a nice top, that's my wedding look, regardless of how formal or informal the ceremony. Thankfully, there's usually someone more underdressed (often several people, lol), so I don't feel out of place.

• Love 5
(edited)

I'm so happy they got Annie Potts to do that recording! I really hope that if Meemaw is ever seen on BTT again it's Annie. I know they are establishing that she doesn't travel anymore (and who can blame her?) but Sheldon goes back to TX pretty regularly.

I'm going to guess that Missy's wedding was of the shotgun sort. Which makes me kinda sad for her.

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 4