Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E24: The Bow Tie Asymmetry

What a wonderful episode!!!!  One of myball time favorites!

I wonder why Leonard's mother wasn't there, seeing as she and Sheldon were such 'good friends'.  

I will definitely watch this episode again.

• Love 6

A couple more nice touches, no ugly bridesmaid gown for Penny, looks like she just pulled a sweet and simple dress out of closet, she looked nice, but didn't upstage the bride (like that would have been possible!) And during the vows, Bernie patted Howard on the leg, nice to know there really is love and affection between them, that was such a wife thing.

• Love 12
(edited)

Amy looked so pretty! I'm glad they de-Amyfied her for this ep and let Mayim's beauty shine.

15 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I never thought I would like Amy and Sheldon married, but I'm glad it happened.

I never thought I'd be happy with them having sex, but that was handled humorously yet lovingly as well.

15 hours ago, Runningwild said:

I would have liked a comment about arak being able to talk to girls or a line or two between Georgie and Wil Wheaton. "Wanna see a dead body?" Or something like that. 

This episode should have been an hour! Georgie and Missy got about one line each and Meemaw was cut. Bert was there but I would've loved to see Leslie Winkle pop in and call Sheldon a dumbass. Freaking bring everyone on!

I loved the scene with Sheldon and Leonard hugging. Those boys!

Hope next season brings Sheldon Stuart and Denise together. Missy and Raj dating could also have some fun plots. We know he loves kids.

Because it can't be said enough: "AT WAAAAAST!"

Edited by 2727
Corrected name typo!
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, marypat57 said:

What a wonderful episode!!!!  One of myball time favorites!

I wonder why Leonard's mother wasn't there, seeing as she and Sheldon were such 'good friends'.  

I will definitely watch this episode again.

I wondered that, too, but then realized I was happy she wasn't there since she would be nasty to everyone except Sheldon.  Amy's mother provided enough negativity until Penny awesomely told her to park it and zip it.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, 2727 said:
2 hours ago, 2727 said:

ope next season brings Sheldon and Denise together. Missy and Raj dating could also have some fun plots. We know he loves kids.

I think you mean Stuart and Denise.

• Love 4

For everyone wondering why there was no JO/WW shoutout, here's what showrunner Steve Holland had to say in a recent interview with TV Line:

"TVLINE | You have Jerry O’Connell and Wil Wheaton in the same episode. Fans are wondering if there will be any Stand By Me winks.
Holland: "We don’t tend to do any of the fourth-wall-breaking winks. But it was neat, just for us, to have them together."

So that's why that, although Teller speaking was a shocker and kind of a wink. I think he's under contract not to ever break character other than in private life (this could have changed over the years), so that may be a first in a scripted show. Quelle coup! I did see him interviewed and give a tour of his unusual house once eons ago and he spoke throughout the whole thing. I love Teller. And we'll be seeing more of him and Kathy Bates, too!

• Love 4
(edited)

That was a great half hour of TV that could have been an hour and still been just as funny.

There's no point listing all the great moments, everyone's listed them pretty well already so will just say Mark Hamill needs to more comedy, Howard geeking out at Mark at his door was hysterical (also check Mayim having nearly the same reaction in real life the day of the table read for the episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK-vXzFIxyQ ), Teller doing the "hang me now" behind Kathy Bates back and  we needed a scene with MeeMaw and a scene with Howard showing Mark all his astronaut stuff could have been fun even if it wasn't "wedding related" (really they could have easily made this an hour finale)

And Teller speaks!  I'm going to go way back in time here and ask if any other Mel Brooks fans are out there because Teller's "Thank You" reminded me of the joke in Silent Movie when the only speaking part in the whole movie was Marcel Marceau saying "No".

ETA:  Also read that besides the MeeMaw phone call they also had to cut an end scene where Sheldon & Amy get a wedding gift from the late Stephen Hawking.  Most times the stuff that gets cut is hardly missed but this really this needs a re-edit as an extended episode for the DVD's to put these scenes back in !

Edited by sigmaforce86
  • Love 23
7 hours ago, UncleChuck said:

Well, this shows that there really is a love connection for everyone--even Stuart!  Except maybe not Raj...

The only good-looking man on the show

• Love 7

Damn that was a good episode! I find myself in the unusual position of not having anything to nitpick.

I wasn't a fan of Amy/Sheldon in their first few years but they really grew on me.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Howard geeking out at Mark at his door was hysterical (also check Mayim having nearly the same reaction in real life the day of the table read for the episode: 

I saw Mayim on Kelly & Ryan yesterday, and she said she's the true comic book/Sci-Fi "geek" in the bunch.  She also said that she's the one always reading the comic books when they set up for those scenes.   

1 hour ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Also read that besides the MeeMaw phone call they also had to cut an end scene where Sheldon & Amy get a wedding gift from the late Stephen Hawking. 

I really wish they would've left those scenes in too, especially the wedding gift.  I was hoping to see some kind of shout-out to him.  Oh well, the show's time is limited and they had a bunch to pack in to such a narrow time frame.  It was such a good episode.  Sheldon cursed!!  "I love you so damn much!"  Leonard hugged Sheldon.  Just an overall great season finale. 

• Love 11

This episode was really good. I could have done without the crying part.  Loved Mayim the entire episode especially while they were saying their vows. She deserves an Emmy for that scene.  I also liked Kaley's scenes. 

• Love 4

I haven't watched the show in a while but glad I caught last night's show.  It was a great episode, satisfying and very funny.  Great use of the celebrity guests, including Mark Hamill.

(edited)

That episode was perfect. If that had been the series finale, I think it would have been a perfect note on which to end. I am, however, looking forward to the set up for next season where (I predict) Sheldon finally has his big scientific breakthrough. And how fitting and sweet would it be if he and Amy shared the honor of the discovery (the Cooper-Fowler theory, or something), given that their marriage was the catalyst? 

I just hope they don't screw up this momentum next season by getting Penny pregnant or something. Penny/Leonard and Howard/Bernadette really don't have much to do now that they are married and married with kids, respectively, but I'm fine with them being in the background. I think the focus next season (it's the last, correct?) should focus on Sheldon and Amy's breakthrough and tying up story arcs for Raj and Stuart. I'd even be on board with a Missy/Raj pairing at this point. I wonder if the first episode of next season will be the wedding reception, or will they just skip past all that. 

Other thoughts:

• This could have been a longer episode, given all the things they reportedly cut, but an hour would have been too long (we need the return of the 40-minute NBC supersize episodes, which would have been a perfect length). I'm trying to think of which scenes they could have cut or shortened to allow some of the other scenes in, but I think everything they kept needed to be there to set up for the final wedding scene and next season. 
  • I was surprised also not to see Leonard's mom at the wedding. Perhaps that was the plan but the scene was cut. I looked for her in the audience but didn't see her. 
  • I hope they find a way to honor Stephen Hawking at some point in the final season, given that he was such a big part of the show (I know there was a cut scene in this episode). 
  • Any physics experts who can weigh in on whether the idea of super asymmetry is actually a theory being tested out right now, or did the show just make it up? I like when the show bases the science in reality and the actual discoveries that are happening. 
  • ETA: I expect this episode, and a lot of the individual performances, to be up for multiple Emmys this year. Just well done all around. 
Edited by mstar1125
additional thought
  • Love 7

I was worried about housecleaning showing up and swearing loudly as they wiped down all the lipstick written surfaces, thereby destroying their work, but then I remembered Sheldon's eidetic memory.  The formulas are safe - unless he suffers a concussion on his honeymoon.  

• Love 6

I agree that this episode should've been an hour long. So much more gold to mine.

Regarding Teller: In addition to his appearance in Atlas Shrugged, he spoke at one of the Penn & Teller live shows I attended.

Penn said something like, "Some people think Teller is unable to speak, but you can talk, right Teller?"

And Teller said, "Sure."

That brought down the house.

• Love 7
(edited)
47 minutes ago, Frost said:

I was worried about housecleaning showing up and swearing loudly as they wiped down all the lipstick written surfaces, thereby destroying their work, but then I remembered Sheldon's eidetic memory.  The formulas are safe - unless he suffers a concussion on his honeymoon.  

LOL.  My husband said something about them setting it up so the mirrors would be wiped clean and I reassured him that with Sheldon's memory that was a non-issue.  We were both relieved that fictional characters weren't going to lose their potential breakthrough because of an overzealous housekeeper!

Other points: I thought it was a nice touch that Missy is pregnant and separated from her husband (if they're setting things up for Raj I'd be fine with that) but I think it's just nice that there is a nod to the offscreen people having lives of their own that can be messy and complicated and interesting and they aren't just sitting in the shadows waiting to make an appearance.  Oh wait, they are!! Well I don't care I still liked it!

Also I loved Mark Hamill even before Star Wars - I had a crush on him from when he was on the very short lived "Texas Wheelers" and my crush is still strong in me.  As someone upthread noted celebrities appearing as themselves don't always work but this time, perfection. "wow that was unexpectedly beautiful"  so true.

Last point - I thought everyone brought their A game but I think the moment I loved best (wow it's hard to choose) is when Penny is leaving the room after chastising them for being late for the wedding, does a little jump in the air and says "I'm pumped".  Now that was the Penny I love on this show!

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 13
12 hours ago, jmonique said:

And 

Hide contents

his children! Plural!

Woo hoo!! 

My favorite line of the night had to be when Sheldon told Amy  "I'm overwhelmed by you". 

• Love 13
58 minutes ago, mstar1125 said:

That episode was perfect. If that had been the series finale, I think it would have been a perfect note on which to end. I am, however, looking forward to the set up for next season where (I predict) Sheldon finally has his big scientific breakthrough. And how fitting and sweet would it be if he and Amy shared the honor of the discovery (the Cooper-Fowler theory, or something), given that their marriage was the catalyst? 

I just hope they don't screw up this momentum next season by getting Penny pregnant or something. Penny/Leonard and Howard/Bernadette really don't have much to do now that they are married and married with kids, respectively, but I'm fine with them being in the background. I think the focus next season (it's the last, correct?) should focus on Sheldon and Amy's breakthrough and tying up story arcs for Raj and Stuart. I'd even be on board with a Missy/Raj pairing at this point. I wonder if the first episode of next season will be the wedding reception, or will they just skip past all that. 

I'm with you on hoping for no more pregnancies or kids being added to the show.  I would like Penny to find her passion, though.  She's in a job she's good at, but doesn't love.  I think it would be nice for her to find something in the show business industry, not acting, but something in the industry that she stumbles upon but ends up being really good at and loves.  And I'd be fine with Raj not pairing off, or ending on just finding someone new without us knowing if it will work out or not.  Personally, I'd rather not have Missy added to the regular cast.  I don't really want any new regulars for the final season.

BBT has been known to do some time jumps, so I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't at least a few months forward, wedding and honeymoon all behind them, when the next season starts. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, madfortv said:

This episode was really good. I could have done without the crying part.  Loved Mayim the entire episode especially while they were saying their vows. She deserves an Emmy for that scene.  I also liked Kaley's scenes. 

She looked so lovely and even the dress worked out for her. 

• Love 5

From where was Penny picking up Amy's parents? Don't they live in Orange County?

I think Penny picked up the Fowler's from their home.  The background scenery out of the car windows (hills, grass) didn't look inner city, unlike the background scenery when Raj drove the Coopers.  Maybe the Fowlers don't currently drive.

Amy's parents, Mary, Leonard's parents, Georgie, Missy, Mrs Wolowitz, Penny's dad, and Bernie's dad, so far the only misstep on casting for a family member has been Mee-Maw.  Pretty damn good record there.

So many heartfelt moments, Howard using his favor to get Mark Hamill to officiate the wedding, "I will always be your problem", Leonard and Sheldon hugging, Sheldon and Mary talking about Sheldon's dad, Sheldon thanking Mary, the mention of imperfect things making things perfect, Sheldon's reaction to Amy, the vows, and Penny standing up for Sheldon.  And there were the hilarious moments, Penny just saying "Oh my god" entering the apartment, the Fun with Flags reference, Teller and the noose, "I noticed you were both white", Mark vs Wil, Mary making Mark mention God, Georgie meeting Amy, Star Wars trivia, and Kripke singing.

This was just a perfect episode.

• Love 20
(edited)
5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I think Penny picked up the Fowler's from their home.  The background scenery out of the car windows (hills, grass) didn't look inner city, unlike the background scenery when Raj drove the Coopers.  Maybe the Fowlers don't currently drive.

The show may not have given this much more thought than just giving us the chance to show Penny in the car with the Fowlers but it actually does make a lot of sense to minimize the number of cars coming to an event like a wedding.  My sister got married at a big hotel and the parking was $$$$. so we tried to make sure every car was full!

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 3

Missy's sarcastic "Whoopie." about being pregnant again fit so well with Little Missy on YS.  Like Georgie, it's very easy to believe this is the same person, just older.  I wish we could have seen more of the Cooper siblings. 

• Love 13

I don't like sappy dialog so I fast forwarded through the vows.  I did get a bit misty eyed when Mary and Sheldon had their little talk.  Kripke singing was the perfect ending.  I do want Raj and Missy to be a couple.

I got a big kick out of Sheldon's line when he recognized Mark Hamill:   I have 4000 things for you to sign after the ceremony.

And Amy, when Sheldon tells her Howard got them upgraded from Wil Wheaton on the officiant, Oh, so a guy with a beard, that's an upgrade I guess. 

Wonderful episode followed by a great Meemaw-heavy YS 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, marypat57 said:

I think the main reason she wasn't there is because with Amy's mother present they didn't need another unpleasant woman in the room.  But also it's realistic to me that flying across country ain't cheap and Beverly isn't Sheldon's mother.   But I'm sure they'll bring her bitterness into at least one more episode next year especially if it really is the last season.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, CherryAmes said:

The show may not have given this much more thought than just giving us the chance to show Penny in the car with the Fowlers but it actually does make a lot of sense to minimize the number of cars coming to an event like a wedding. 

I did get the impression Penny had picked them up at an airport,  Mrs Fowler says something like "thank you for picking us up".  To me that's not what you'd say if someone came to your house.  

Loved everything about this show, laughed out loud a few times and the ending with Kripke was the icing on the cake!  A big shout out to the scene in the comic book store with Stuart and his assistant "you're going to have to buy me a dress" (I can identify - I have exactly one dress) and then the scene at the wedding when Stuart is basking in the glow of her admiration for him "you're so hot".  Loved the happy smile on his face.  So nice to see Stuart happy!

Raj calling Mark Hamill "Mr Mark"  LOL moment.  

Edited by BlossomCulp
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, Mystery said:

I'm guessing, from the lack of other posts, that I'm the only one who looked up evenyoucanperformweddings.com and was bitterly disappointed. 

I didn't think to look it up but I absolutely loved that line and the way he delivered it!  My son is getting married this summer and one of the bride's friends will be officiating.  She's a lawyer so has some standing to perform a wedding but even so I'd love to have her say something like that at the wedding even though I might be the only one who "gets" it!

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Bark Hamill!  HA! 

ETA: That was probably the best episode all season.  But where were the Wolotots?

And where was Meemaw?  Can't believe Sheldon's beloved Grandma would miss his nuptials.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, bigmag said:
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Bark Hamill!  HA! 

ETA: That was probably the best episode all season.  But where were the Wolotots?

And where was Meemaw?  Can't believe Sheldon's beloved Grandma would miss his nuptials.

Someone upthread linked to an article that explained that they did have a 30 second scene taped where Sheldon is on the phone with Meemaw but it had to be cut because the show was running long (and god forbid they give up a commercial or two).  The explanation given for her not attending was that she is in her 90s - and that does make sense to me.  I'm just glad they didn't have her killed off there is no way in the world Sheldon wouldn't have reacted to that if it had happened!

• Love 2

What a wonderful end to the season and to the fictional journey of two wonderful characters.

I just wish they had added 10 more minutes so we could have a little more Missy, Georgie, Mary and some of the other guests.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, TVJunkee said:

Wonderful episode followed by a great Meemaw-heavy YS 

I love Annie Potts in this role and wish we could get a re-do of the BBT episode where MeeMaw meets Amy with her.  

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

Someone upthread linked to an article that explained that they did have a 30 second scene taped where Sheldon is on the phone with Meemaw but it had to be cut because the show was running long (and god forbid they give up a commercial or two).  The explanation given for her not attending was that she is in her 90s - and that does make sense to me.  I'm just glad they didn't have her killed off there is no way in the world Sheldon wouldn't have reacted to that if it had happened!

The show should have been an hour. I wanted more time "attending" this wedding and it looks like some good scenes were cut out. They managed to make "Mom" an hour, why not this? I get they wanted the Young Sheldon follow up but something else could have been done. 

• Love 13

I do wish they had left in the stinger about Hawking, but we didn't need filler, so I was ok with the 30 (more like 15) minute show.  They didn't have time to insert awkward jokes.

• Love 1