Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: The Summit

(edited)

HERE WE GO!!!!!!!!

Payback is a bitch as I kept thinking about "I told them you liked it here too much" when P told E that he told what she was doing. 

Edited by crgirl412
  • Love 9
(edited)

That was the worst fucking thing I've ever seen.  That was just gratuitous and not ok.  The RN in me wanted to go through the screen. 

Edited by crgirl412
  • Love 9
(edited)

I mean, I know they've been using that, "They're either all the same people or they're all different people" quote in previews but seeing it in context, I just groaned at the Captain Obviousness of it all. Brandon Dirden deserved more from this character.

Looks like Renee will really have been a years-long red herring to draw someone into the FBI Building that *can* recognize the next-door neighbors.

After Claudia told Elizabeth, "We can't make you do it," I was waiting for a closet door to pop open with a bound and gagged Paige to fall out.

I am impressed they FINALLY got something good going with Elizabeth - i.e., her acting on something other than murdering innocent people in various disguises - but waiting until the second-to-last episode (given that her turn came at the very tail end of the third-to-last) to kick the ramifications of that turn into gear... yikes.

Edited by CaliCheeseSucks
clarity
  • Love 18
3 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Well, Elizabeth's heart very belatedly grew three sizes that day.

It was like watching the Grinch!!  Elizabeth was having EST moments all of a sudden. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Renee, giggling:  "Oh, do I need to memorize all the state capitals for my interview?!"

Me:  "Nice try, Renee, we know you learned those in SpySchool."  

Edited by jjj
  • Love 19
(edited)

Renee put too much casual into her "What are you looking at?" 0h, jeez, I can see Philip trying to protect Stan coming into play.

Edited by suomi
  • Love 3

Phillip is 1000% the MVP of this season. He really is the linchpin this whole final season has been hanging on.

I'm not sure I completely buy Elizabeth's awakening here (like I didn't necessarily buy Stan's last week) as anything more than servicing the needs of the plot with so little time in the show left...but, this show is good enough, especially acting-wise, that they can pull it off, I think. Well, aside from Paige and Renee, maybe. ;)

(Also -- damn, Stavos!)

• Love 23

Elizabeth started thinking for herself! Better late than never. I also noticed that she didn't sell out Philip to Claudia. And most importantly, she didn't kill Jackson - I was holding my breath the entire time he was in her car.

In case anyone is interested, this is the movie Philip rented.

• Love 18
8 minutes ago, skippylou said:

Anyone have a clue as to why Phillip is getting a new suit...NOW?

I was getting serious suicide vibes from him. The call to Henry, visiting Stavos, then the suit.

• Love 20

At this point, Renee is going to be confirmed as an undercover operative for one three letter organization or another, or this is the most epic troll job by showrunners that has ever happened. 

I have to wonder if the fact that Phillip and Elizabeth are now both conspiring to work with the pro-treaty faction will only serve as tragic dramatic irony when they're finally taken down or if it'll be the leverage they need to safely defect, because their willingness to inform on the anti-Gorbachev conspiracy will be valuable enough to the US government to ignore their litany of crimes. 

• Love 20
(edited)

Yes! I knew Stavos was aware of the odd activities and closed-door conversations all along.

Also, that actor finally got a decent scene with more than two lines and he handled it well.

Philip buys a burial suit, yikes. 

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 24

I was going to watch tomorrow morning, but you all have me wanting to watch it tonight. At least Stan wasn't on the toilet when he had his suspicions confirmed, although that might be the perfect place to have such a realization. 

• Love 10
15 minutes ago, PreviouslyTV said:

Elizabeth's icy professionalism is challenged when Philip introduces her to the concept of 'morality' in our latest EPIC OLD-SCHOOL RECAP!

View the full article

One question about the Epic Recap, which perfectly described my favorite moment (Stan's realization):  you say Elizabeth took a knife out of the car to kill the diplomat.  I thought it was a device that would deliver a poison dart, a favorite Soviet tool for killing, sometimes delivered via umbrella tip.  It looked like a metal pipe, and at first I thought it was a silencer.  But was it a knife? 

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, mattie0808 said:

I'm not sure I completely buy Elizabeth's awakening here (like I didn't necessarily buy Stan's last week) as anything more than servicing the needs of the plot with so little time in the show left

I thought the moment came when Elizabeth found out her instructions were not coming from party HQ but from a disgruntled faction within it. Once she knew that, she was not going along with Claudia's directions anymore. Elizabeth came around to Philip's point of view; they are loyal to the party, its leaders, and the premier. 

1 minute ago, RedHawk said:

Yes! I knew Stavos was aware of the odd activities and closed-door conversations all along.

Also, that actor finally got a decent scene with more than two lines and he handled it well.

Philip’s buys a burial suit, yikes. 

I think Stavos is where Paige was a few seasons ago. They know something is wrong/off, but neither one had any hard proof or evidence, just a bunch of little things that don't quite add up.

Seeing how Elizabeth reacted to the change in plans during her nursing job got me thinking about Paige. They should have had Paige take an acting class. Many colleges have an art/arts requirement and something that would teach her how to do accents might be useful. Also, getting her involved with improv would be a useful skills for her future career. 

Does anyone know the movie that was playing when Phil was in the video store? I'm almost 100% sure Cary Grant was in it, but I could not near the dialogue clearly enough to look up a quote. 

Philip and Elizabeth on the same side will be close to unstopable. I could imagine some type of Bonnie and Clyde scenario-if they go down, they're going down fighting and together. 

• Love 9
15 minutes ago, mattie0808 said:

Phillip is 1000% the MVP of this season. He really is the linchpin this whole final season has been hanging on.

I'm not sure I completely buy Elizabeth's awakening here (like I didn't necessarily buy Stan's last week) as anything more than servicing the needs of the plot with so little time in the show left...but, this show is good enough, especially acting-wise, that they can pull it off, I think. Well, aside from Paige and Renee, maybe. ;)

(Also -- damn, Stavos!)

I can see it. Philip believed in something enough and had thought enough about it for himself to spy on her. She was so upset about him supposedly not caring, but he did. And then loved her enough to tell her- to give her a chance to think for herself. And to be honest. He risked everything.  That was huge. It got the wheels turning. At least I think that was some of it. 

• Love 16

I think Elizabeth saw Paige in a (possible) similar situation that she put the intern in, and not even the monster in her could just snuff out a kid because, 21 or not, he was just a puppy. The murder of Erica was disgusting and showed how low she can go. I didn’t expect Phillip to survive after that confession, but was stunned when Elizabeth didn’t rat him out to that lying rat fink Claudia. Paige...still as dumb as ever and just as desperate to be accepted somewhere. Stan! Just wow. He is really chewing on the bone that is the Jennings. It was good to see Stavos tell Phillip he wasn’t stupid, but he was loyal. And even when Elizabeth is refusing orders and giving Phillip intel for Oleg, she can’t help being a miserable, hateful shrew to him. When will he remove the kick me sign?

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, CaliCheeseSucks said:

Looks like Renee will really have been a years-long red herring to draw someone into the FBI Building that *can* recognize the next-door neighbors.

I don't know why so many people think this is where the Renee storyline is going. She's supposedly interviewing to work in personnel; they're not going to let her into the vault in Counterintelligence her first week on the job!

And once again her behavior was pretty suspicious. Are we meant to wonder whether her surprise over getting an interview at the FBI was because she didn't expect her inquiries to go anywhere, and she couldn't pass a background check anyway?

13 minutes ago, skippylou said:

I'm not sure what all the implications are going to be -- I had the "funeral suit" thought as well -- but one thing I thought was going on was that Philip was sort of trying out all his different personas to see if he could figure out who the fuck he actually is. Is he the yuppie American? Is he the sweet, loyal sap like Stavos? Can he identify with the collective members in his Soviet movie?

Maybe that's part of the meaning of the title. The summit is the one place where you can look out and see the paths in front of you, behind you, in every possible direction, and you can take any of them, but you usually can't just stay perched where you are for long.

• Love 13
1 minute ago, Dev F said:

I don't know why so many people think this is where the Renee storyline is going. She's supposedly interviewing to work in personnel; they're not going to let her into the vault in Counterintelligence her first week on the job!

And once again her behavior was pretty suspicious. Are we meant to wonder whether her surprise over getting an interview at the FBI was because she didn't expect her inquiries to go anywhere, and she couldn't pass a background check anyway?

But we don't need Renee to recognize Elizabeth -- Stan already has done that.  I am waiting for a delivery on the Renee subplot.  I will watch the final credits for a clue if nothing comes of this!

• Love 8

Question: why couldn't Claudia fudge Elizabeth's reports without having her kill Nesterenko? She wasn't going to tell Elizabeth about it anyway. If the false reports were going to convince Soviet leadership that Gorbachev must be removed, did it really matter if Nesterenko was dead or alive and denying everything?

3 minutes ago, Erin9 said:

Jackson was such an idiot to get in the car with her. How could he be that stupid?? Seriously. He KNEW. I was shocked she couldn’t bring herself to kill him. She’s thinking about her actions though. And he was so young. And scared. I think they picked a very young looking actor on purpose. I know he was supposed to be, but still. 

And I must say - that guy is a really good actor. I was feeling his fear there in the car. Well done.

So Stan is the only person who doesn't know the Jenningses are Soviet spies, right? Pastor Tim knows. Stavos knows. The Roy Rogers guys does, too. I'm sure Renee knows as well. Next week, when Stan comes to Aderholdt, Dennis will be like, "Philip and Elizabeth? Oh yeah, I knew they were Russian."

• LOL 1
  • Love 20
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Dev F said:

I totally agree with this part. Also, what exactly is McIlraith? Does it exist? Is it a Soviet front group? If Jackson hadn't looked inside the box, what would have happened when he showed up to the first day of the management training program? 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Love 10
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Dev F said:

But if she's in personnel, she can manipulate the hiring system to bring in more sleeper agents and second generation directorate S peeps -- like Paige. 

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 7
(edited)
15 minutes ago, SailorGirl said:

I didn't have an opinion one way or the other about Renee, but her whole comment about the "united states capitals" convinced me she's another undercover Soviet spy. Using the full "United States" as opposed to just "state capitals" was a slip. ANVIL. 

Years ago, (preTwitler's ICE and Border Control Gestapo), I went to Tijuana with my cousin. She told me that if they questioned me where I was from to make sure I said United States versus America because nonAmericans would say America and people from the states say they're from the United States. And I'll be damned if they didn't ask me . . . and I had to stop because with her having told me what to say I then had a brain freeze of what I was supposed to say! Had she not said anything I wouldn't have thought twice. 

No, she just said "state capitals" -- I watched the scene again. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, jjj said:

One question about the Epic Recap, which perfectly described my favorite moment (Stan's realization):  you say Elizabeth took a knife out of the car to kill the diplomat.  I thought it was a device that would deliver a poison dart, a favorite Soviet tool for killing, sometimes delivered via umbrella tip.  It looked like a metal pipe, and at first I thought it was a silencer.  But was it a knife? 

Could have been a ballistic knife like this:

ab83f6e4fc540f309ae2a6c67b8ec305.jpg

• Love 1

@Sarah 103

I’m certain it was Cary Grant too. (big fan!) But I couldn’t hear well enough to place the movie. I don’t think it was North by Northwest, but that would’ve been appropriate. 

• Love 3
(edited)
4 minutes ago, skippylou said:

Could have been a ballistic knife like this:

ab83f6e4fc540f309ae2a6c67b8ec305.jpg

Wow.  I just did not think there was any way she could stab someone accompanied by two others on the street and expect to get away -- but a poison dart would not act immediately.

Edited by jjj
  • Love 1

Claudia!!!! Elizabeth shouldn't have forgotten who she was dealing with... And this is the woman she's going to hand Paige over to. She's been so willfully naive with Claudia for a while now--just as Paige has been.

That murder of Erika was pretty gruesome. Was there green paint on the brush or was that just bile? I was listening to the husband's speech as another message to Elizabeth. You and your meetings! For someone who wanted to die to escape pain I like that she still fought like a wildcat. She really never wanted to die. (Not that there's anything wrong with accepting death--I'm very pro-palliative care. But for this character, this was who she was.)

Jackson has the basic observational and deductive skills Paige lacks. Though sadly still lacks the ability to not get into the car with the person you now realize is using you to spy on the State Department.

I like Paige asking Claudia if she ever met Gorbachev. Also the way Claudia's lip curled at the guy's name. This woman hasn't been in the USSR in years but she hates the guy--probably in part because the US loves him. She has no connection to the stuff he's doing at home.

Was worried Elizabeth wasn't going to burn that painting for a second but she did. She and Philip both left a potential threat walking around with Jackson and Stavos. Philip didn't even respond to his claims there was something odd going on in the back room. Not that Stavos really has anything on them. They just whispered in the back room. But maybe you don't want to throw out threats like that, Stav. If you don't know exactly what's going on in that back room...tread lightly.

Renee--who the hell is this woman? She's so bizarrely chipper all the time. Her working at the FBI continues to be ridiculous. I like that Stan's back on the job now he's lying to his wife and not coming to bed. Sad seeing the old picture of Sandra and remembering how she always seemed like an actual person.

This was Elizabeth's episode in many ways, particularly her big moment of actually thinking about the guy she was about to murder and asking why. Grannie being in on the plot makes sense but even I didn't see the bigger plot behind it. Claudia was like full on James Cromwell in LA Confidential here. Plots within plots! Who needs the US?

Loved seeing Curtis again and how people who treat each other well get treated well in return. Elizabeth's people are liars and they've never treated her with any real loyalty or respect. She says Philip betrayed her and she's right to a point but he did try to talk to her and he did protect her with Oleg. He's obviously not like Claudia here. Who was "protecting her."

1 minute ago, skippylou said:

This was Elizabeth's episode in so many ways but damn, Philip was great in this ep. He can make the smallest thing momentous. Plus Elizabeth's story was more straightforward. Little by little seeing that he totally seemed like he was preparing to commit suicide. Calling Henry, talking to Stavos, letting Stavos live, buying a new suit to be buried in, and finally watching a movie in Russian. But I knew he couldn't be doing that. Then I realized...oh wait, who needs suicide when you're married to the Angel of Death?

Elizabeth's told on him before. What's even sadder is he probably figured they were going to make it look like an accident so he bought a suit to be buried in as Philip Jennings. He'd have that waiting for the funeral--probably Elizabeth would realize that. Note he didn't try to reach out to Paige. (Neither did Elizabeth when she called from Chicago.) Or maybe they'd even make it look like a suicide, which would hurt the kids more.

I loved that as one of his last acts he chose to watch a movie--any movie, really--in Russian. Like those afternoons with Claudia only not for the purpose of indoctrinating anybody or doing anything political. Just wanting to connect with the country he's dying for, drinking it in.

Elizabeth doesn't even seem to notice what he's watching. Or at least she's not up for sitting down and having a movie night with him. Of course, she's got other things on her mind. I like that he was still far too wary of her to let her meet with his guy. Protect Oleg, Philip! Protect your guy!

1 minute ago, Erin9 said:

Well I was about to complain about the lack of Philip (and I’m still frustrated), but him saying: I put our country first, which is what you would have done. Was. Everything. He did what he thought was right. And articulated it to her. And to the audience.  And reminded her of her own priorities over the years. Thank you. 

When Elizabeth walked out at the end I almost wanted him say, "Yeah, so I'm kind of a Soviet hero saving the motherland, I guess. Hav been all this time. YOU'RE WELCOME!"

4 minutes ago, SailorGirl said:

I still think Elizabeth is going down (be it by the FBI or by cyanide pill), and Philip is going to cooperate with Stan, and Stan will work to get him immunity or reduced sentence or something. 

Really? When I watched this ep it seemed more than ever that the guy is not thinking about immunity at all. He spend the episode thinking that he was going to be killed by the woman he lives for because his country needed him. When the chips are down Philip always chooses the USSR. Rodina all the way! (That is, he chooses Elizabeth but between the unions, SSR wins....and that's literally the first time I've realized that both countries have a union-related word in their names.)

1 minute ago, Erin9 said:

I can see it. Philip believed in something enough and had thought enough about it for himself to spy on her. She was so upset about him supposedly not caring, but he did. And then loved her enough to tell her- to give her a chance to think for herself. And to be honest. He risked everything.  That was huge. It got the wheels turning. At least I think that was some of it. 

Yeah, when you think about it in context of the last few eps it makes sense. She did see what Philip did for her and it meant something. He also just proved that he was working for the USSR this whole time when she thought he just didn't care. This the old Philip, the partner with a different pov. She let him do that whole speech. (And didn't just tell him he wanted to fuck somebody!) Still, she doesn't have much time yet for a serious love scene so she'd better get on that.

2 minutes ago, Dev F said:

LOL! It's the only room we know!

2 minutes ago, Dev F said:

Maybe that's part of the meaning of the title. The summit is the one place where you can look out and see the paths in front of you, behind you, in every possible direction, and you can take any of them, but you usually can't just stay perched where you are for long.

Nice--especially given the scene of Elizabeth and Claudia parting ways in the park. I also wondered if he wasn't going to try to get a job or something!

• Love 17

As soon as Renee walked into the bedroom, I thought she was a Soviet spy, whose job is to keep tabs on Stan.  Center knows a high-level FBI officer lives across the street from two of its most valuable agents.  Seems like it would be critical for them to know what's up with him, as an insurance policy, in case he has doubts/questions about the Jennings.  Renee, I thought, is that insurance policy. 

• Love 11

Please feel my pain. I cannot watch the episode yet. I am avoiding your spoilers. I am in the UK this week. It is five AM, and I am hoping they will post the episode on iTunes momentarily. On UK TV they are a week behind us. They showed Harvest last night. Goodbye until later. 

• Love 11
(edited)
27 minutes ago, Dev F said:

I don’t know why - with only 2+ hours left of this show - we should expect that Renee will be revealed to be the super undercover spy who will play a major role in the end game. Interpreting her behavior tonight as suspicious is subjective because I found nothing odd about it. 

Of course, she isn’t going to be wandering around the vault looking at the sketches.  However, I’ve long suspected that she will *somehow* see those sketches and remark on their likeness to their neighbors. 

25 minutes ago, jjj said:

But we don't need Renee to recognize Elizabeth -- Stan already has done that.  I am waiting for a delivery on the Renee subplot.  I will watch the final credits for a clue if nothing comes of this!

No...we don’t need her to recognize Elizabeth but Stan may not be able to act on what he suspects. After all, he is still peering out the window at the Jennings house. That, to me, is someone who knows but doesn’t want to accept it. He needs that final, final confirmation of who his BFFs really are.

I agree with @Plums. I think that we have been trolled into thinking that there is more with Renee.

Either that or the closing scene of the show will be Paige walking into a new safe house to meet with Renee while drinking vodka. (I’m kidding!)

Frankly, the fact that we are still debating Renee’s role with only 2 hours left points to how poorly that character (or plot device) has been written. 

Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Love 9
16 minutes ago, SailorGirl said:

But if she's in personnel, she can manipulate the hiring system to bring in more sleeper agents and second generation directorate S peeps -- like Paige. 

Having a spy in the personnel department could be incredibly useful. It would give a fantastic overview of the organization (structure, departments which would include what each department is reponsible for, who reports to whom, and so on).

There is no way someone who has just been hired by personnel is going to be allowed to access one of the most top secret and guarded spaces in the building. The fan theory is that she will go into the vault and recognize the sketches. There is no way she is casually going inside the vault. 

10 minutes ago, Erin9 said:

@Sarah 103

I’m certain it was Cary Grant too. (big fan!) But I couldn’t hear well enough to place the movie. I don’t think it was North by Northwest, but that would’ve been appropriate. 

North by Northwest would have been brilliant, but I think if that's what it was they would have made it more obvious. 

• Love 5
(edited)
13 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Really? When I watched this ep it seemed more than ever that the guy is not thinking about immunity at all. He spend the episode thinking that he was going to be killed by the woman he lives for because his country needed him. When the chips are down Philip always chooses the USSR. Rodina all the way! (That is, he chooses Elizabeth but between the unions, SSR wins....and that's literally the first time I've realized that both countries have a union-related word in their names.)

I do think so, primarily because his loyalty is to Elizabeth above everything -- he said as much tonight.  If Elizabeth dies, for Philip, he's done. He won't care about Russia, or anything else. I don't think he'll necessarily pull for immunity, I think Stan will work on his behalf, like he did with Oleg, out of his feelings of friendship -- and because of the kids -- Henry much more than Paige. We've already seen he'll stand up to the FBI about some things. 

These are just the thoughts that randomly pop into my head as I'm watching it and then reading the comments here. Honestly, I miss a lot of the nuances people point out here, which is part of why I always do the rewatch and read this thread at the same thing. . . I'll see a lot of different things the second time based on what people pick up on here that went over my head! :-D

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 4