Type keyword(s) to search

Finals, Training Camp and Social Media

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

I was a Maddie fan from her first attempt at training camp. You go girl! I wish I could watch the ones on Instagram but I don’t have one. I don’t have twitter either but I can watch those.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, pizzaislife said:

I was a Maddie fan from her first attempt at training camp. You go girl! I wish I could watch the ones on Instagram but I don’t have one. I don’t have twitter either but I can watch those.

I have been a Maddie fan from her first attempt as well. I am SO glad she had a great solo! (Prob the best one in my opionion)

Just now, LaurenBrook said:

oh wow i missed that that one girl was Dayton! I thought she was good, her spin looked nice.  I didn't realize I'd skipped over Tara's too, hers was really fun.  I love her power!! 

Yep, I thought Dayton's looked good :) I'm happy for her.  She still needs some punch but that can be developed in TC.  Fingers crossed she gets there!  Tara's solo was more powerful than some of the others...I was pleasantly surprised!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, go4luca said:

Re: Selina

I'm gobsmacked she'd come to Finals looking like that. 

I mean, we know next to nothing about what goes on between these girls and Kelly. Maybe Selina had an injury or a dying family member or one of 100 things happen in the last few months that made it impossible for her to work out. It's entirely possible she talked to Kelly and was encourage to tryout anyway with the promise to get back in the gym. Who knows. My daughter is on an NFL cheer team and there are thousands of pieces to it and there is zero chance anyone can predict who will make it and who won't from looking at pictures and watching 26 seconds of a solo. If Kelly values everything else Selina brings to the team 150% and Believes she can trust her, she could easily give her time to drop the weight depending on the circumstances in Selina's life. She did it for Danielle. 

• Love 4

I swear that clip of Dayton wasn't there the multiple times I updated. And I still missed Tara.

Maddie just made it fun. I think that' what makes her a good DCC, you can see the other girls clapping and cheering. I think she has a decent shot at 1st group leader because of how much she has helped with prep classes. If not 1st for sure 2nd. 

• Love 2

Kash...she may not be the most technical of the dancers...but she has presence, power, facials  and she knows how to work it!! She was a great choice to close it out!! :) 

• Love 7

I thought Kashara looked a bit soft too (not that she’s in any trouble regardless), but I’m watching on my phone, so I don’t have a great view. Good energy though!

• Love 2
(edited)
6 minutes ago, fan1999 said:

I mean, we know next to nothing about what goes on between these girls and Kelly. Maybe Selina had an injury or a dying family member or one of 100 things happen in the last few months that made it impossible for her to work out. It's entirely possible she talked to Kelly and was encourage to tryout anyway with the promise to get back in the gym. Who knows. My daughter is on an NFL cheer team and there are thousands of pieces to it and there is zero chance anyone can predict who will make it and who won't from looking at pictures and watching 26 seconds of a solo. If Kelly values everything else Selina brings to the team 150% and Believes she can trust her, she could easily give her time to drop the weight depending on the circumstances in Selina's life. She did it for Danielle. 

What I meant is that she was already called on weight at the beginning of the season last year.  Why would she take the risk not being as trim as possible & risk being cut?  I don't have a problem with Selina.  She does blend to me but she is a beautiful girl and seems poised and able to speak well,  at least she did in Kelli's office when called in about her weight last year.

Edited by go4luca
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, go4luca said:

What I meant is that she was already called on weight at the beginning of the season last year.  Why would she take the risk not being as trim as possible & risk being cut?  I don't have a problem with Selina.  She does blend to me but she is a beautiful girl and seems poised and able to speak well,  at least she did in Kelli's office when called in about her weight last year.

She was called out for weight during her rookie season as well from what I understand.  I love Selina....she's adorable...I just don't want to see her cut over weight.

• Love 5
(edited)

I’m surprised Kash’s head is still attached to her neck from jerking it around so much in that routine. 

Maddie, slay my life child. 

Khalyn, *bows down* 

Lacey, lyrical goddess  

Rest of the solos in a nutshell: 

Music that’s been used before at least a dozen times

Leg extension, shimmy shimmy, slow split to floor, rolls around somewhat gracefully, turn across the floor, leap, shimmy shimmy, hair flip, arm waves, mediocre turn, and done. 

Edited by HowdeeDo
  • Love 11
1 minute ago, HowdeeDo said:

I’m surprised Kash’s head is still attached to her neck from jerking it around so much in that routine. 

Maddie, slay my life child. 

Khalyn, *bows down* 

Lacey, lyrical goddess  

Rest of the solos in a nutshell: 

Music that’s been used before at least a dozen times

Leg extension, shimmy shimmy, slow split to floor, rolls around somewhat gracefully, turn across the floor, leap, shimmy shimmy, hair flip, arm waves, mediocre turn, and done. 

Yeh...that pretty well sums it up.  :) There were some vet solos that were a little better than others but they were, for the most part, rather dull.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, edelweiss said:

I am rooting for Christina.  I really like her, but it sounds like her solo wasn't good. :( (I don't have Snapchat or Twitter, so I can't see what you all are talking about.)  If she gets outperformed, then she shouldn't be invited back.  I hope that if she gets cut, she can eventually look back and be glad that she had the one year.

I can never understand why some of these vets bother to audition again if they aren't at their best. Ugh!

I said this last year too - a meh or even poor solo is not going to get a vet cut. Not on its own. Not everyone is a soloist - doesn't mean they aren't a talented and dynamic dancer. Not everyone has 20 tricks in their pocket - which is fine because they won't use more than 3 or 4 anyway. It's nice if you have them and it can get you showcased from time to time but other than that, it's not as important as being able to dance DCC choreography. 

Also, just because you don't feel the energy from a dance on a video doesn't mean there is none. I remember when my daughter was in HS there was a soloist a few years younger than her who won everywhere she went and people gushed on about her. I watched a few videos and thought people were mad because she had blah technique in general but horrible feet specifically, her choreography seemed plain and pretty easy and she was boring to watch. We competed against her studio eventually and I kid you not, the girl was stunning to watch in person. I didn't notice her choreo, her feet or if she did any tricks. She was captivating and drew me into her story and I forgot to even pay attention to the rest. Later I went to show the video to someone and all the same thoughts I had before seeing her in person came flooding back. The video was awful. It took seeing her a few more times in person before I realized her energy, her "it factor" was not translating through the screen. Didn't matter though because the judges were watching her live. And now she dances on an NFL team and, again, people see her live. I've realized since that experience a decade ago that it's pretty common. 

• Love 9
Just now, Txmomof2 said:

Yes but they didn't show any of her solo from what I've seen. 

Not that I've seen...none of Victoria's either.  They did have a snippet of Dayton's and she looked good. 

• Love 5

I cannot access Snapchat or Instastories, so I can only judge the solos that were posted on the DCC Twitter, and my verdict is that the vets  . . . unfortunately did not bring it this year.  Lacey, Heather, and most especially Maddie (wow!!!) were the exceptions on the Twitter posts.  The rest of the Twitter solos seemed oddly low energy, uninspired, weighted down (can you dance heavy?), and littered with small mistakes, even to my untrained eye.  Perhaps the veteran solos posted on Snapchat or Instastories were stronger.  I am nervous for this group.  Pull yourselves together and show what you're made of for the field portion!

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, PrincessLeia said:

It’s impossible to judge a solo based on a tiny snippet. 

I had to LOL at this, because apparently one can. Everyone else is doing it. Why can't I?

For the record, I agree with you. In reality I gave never, ever been floored by someone's solo. It's 90 seconds.

I digress. The vets are a known quantity. A boring solo can't overwhelm a year of great on field performance. And vice versa.

Maddie was the best by far.

Not a Savannah fan. Based SOLELY on her dancing. Every single time I've seen a clip of her dancing, she's off. I don't care if diamonds fell out her a$$ during her solo, we know she doesn't perform in tempo during the season. She should go.

• Love 7
(edited)
8 minutes ago, fan1999 said:

I said this last year too - a meh or even poor solo is not going to get a vet cut. Not on its own. Not everyone is a soloist - doesn't mean they aren't a talented and dynamic dancer. Not everyone has 20 tricks in their pocket - which is fine because they won't use more than 3 or 4 anyway. It's nice if you have them and it can get you showcased from time to time but other than that, it's not as important as being able to dance DCC choreography. 

Also, just because you don't feel the energy from a dance on a video doesn't mean there is none. I remember when my daughter was in HS there was a soloist a few years younger than her who won everywhere she went and people gushed on about her. I watched a few videos and thought people were mad because she had blah technique in general but horrible feet specifically, her choreography seemed plain and pretty easy and she was boring to watch. We competed against her studio eventually and I kid you not, the girl was stunning to watch in person. I didn't notice her choreo, her feet or if she did any tricks. She was captivating and drew me into her story and I forgot to even pay attention to the rest. Later I went to show the video to someone and all the same thoughts I had before seeing her in person came flooding back. The video was awful. It took seeing her a few more times in person before I realized her energy, her "it factor" was not translating through the screen. Didn't matter though because the judges were watching her live. And now she dances on an NFL team and, again, people see her live. I've realized since that experience a decade ago that it's pretty common. 

A bad solo won't get a vet cut...anybody can have a bad day.  BUT Christina barely made it on the team last season.  In fact, had Holly and Erika not left during TC, she probably wouldn't have made it.  So...one would hope over the course of a year that she would have improved.  She still seems weak and I have followed her every season since she first attempted to make the squad.  I have been one of her biggest fans and I sincerely hope that she doesn't get cut.  She seems very nice and genuine but she is going to really have to spot on with kick line and the combo to keep her spot.  

Edited by Kayce
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, fan1999 said:

Also, just because you don't feel the energy from a dance on a video doesn't mean there is none. 

I think most of us get this.  It has been mentioned more than once it's hard to tell from short snippets.  But I do think we are all allowed to voice our take from what we've seen and I think the posts have been a fair combination of honest and supportive.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, go4luca said:

I think most of us get this.  It has been mentioned more than once it's hard to tell from short snippets.  But I do think we are all allowed to voice our take from what we've seen and I think the posts have been a fair combination of honest and supportive.

Agreed.  

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, go4luca said:

Right. Just like we see a highly edited version of the show, yet we still post here and form an opinion based on what we see. No one is suggesting that anyone here would be qualified to judge finals based off of a thirty second clip....we’re just commenting.

• Love 12

In many cases I blame the choreographers more than the dancers -- of course sometimes this is one and the same person.   The dullness and sameness that everyone has already pointed out is more of a problem for me than the execution.  (I wonder how many women choreograph their own solos vs. hiring someone?)  

• Love 4

They will NOT show Victoria's solo as it wasn't that great but she's already been promised a place in training camp.  Showing the solo would just confirm to the fans that the fix is in.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Txmomof2 said:

So who were the vets we did not get to see? Yuko I never saw, who else? I know there's more. 

Yuko, Keyra, and Alexis were the only three I didn't see.  

• Love 1
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Smplsimon said:

They will NOT show Victoria's solo as it wasn't that great but she's already been promised a place in training camp.  Showing the solo would just confirm to the fans that the fix is in.

So you saw it? Tell us about it. What style did she dance? I’m curious!

Edited by Raccoon
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, Kayce said:

Yuko, Keyra, and Alexis were the only three I didn't see.  

On Charlottes Instagram story there’s a small snip of Yuko’s and you can hear her song of choice (not suprinsingly choreographed by Sarah I) to Mi Gente. Not much more than that.

Alexis and Keyras were posted on the Dallas Cowboys Instagram story.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, go4luca said:

I know I replied directly to your comment but it was really toward everyone in general who is commenting about her trying out. I can't imagine a scenario where you wouldn't bother trying out no matter what if you are a vet and want to return. If you're cut, you're cut. If you don't show up you aren't on the team either. There are 100's of reasons why she might not been able to work on her weight the last few months. If a parent is dying, you aren't going to the gym every day for hours. If you have mono, you aren't going to the gym for months. If your life has settled back down, why wouldn't you just call your boss and talk it over? The only reason someone wouldn't at least try is if they are worried about what random people on the internet think. Like I said, we have no clue what has transpired between her and Kelly. I do remember her being called in but I also remember thinking she never seemed to look any different after that either. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Does anyone know who the short, black girl is in one of the IG stories, wearing red? She looked sassy! 

I thought Dayton looked fine. Much better than last year. I’m hoping that she makes it to training camp.

Edited by Jess14
Typo
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, Jess14 said:

Does anyone who the short, black girl is in one of the IG stories, wearing red? She looked sassy! 

I thought Dayton looked fine. Much better than last year. I’m hoping that she makes it to training camp.

Same here :) 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, LaurenBrook said:

obsessed with her!!! she's incredible!!! 

I agree ...I love Khalyn :) 

Just now, LaurenBrook said:

i love that she wore pants and her hair up! She doesn't need bling, her skills do the talking.  She's just fantastic. 

Yep...I love to watch her.  She's bubbly, fun to watch and seems very genuine.

• Love 9