Type keyword(s) to search

Finals, Training Camp and Social Media

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

The only rookie I would even speculate on being a one-and-done would be Rachel.  She's already Miss America Runner Up and will likely use this as another stepping stone to her ultimate goal.  As for Veterans, besides Lacey and KaShara, the only people I hope retire are Jessika and Christina.  Jessika because she's proven that she's had issues (weight and ambassador risk, maybe even dance) the entire time she's been on the squad yet somehow manages to make it every year and Christina because she's absolutely one of the weakest dancers on the squad and is a HUGE ambassador risk because if she's in a bad mood for some reason at an event, I don't think she could pull off the fake-happy convincingly.   If they don't retire, I REALLY hope at least Christina is cut at Finals the next year.

As for Brennan, I think she'll stay at least a few years, just because she's worked SO hard to get there and has finally done so.  She's also a solid dancer, brings a maturity they need and seems to be an all-around GOOD person.

Edited by EricaShadows
  • Love 7

I won’t miss Kashara either, but she’s one who I think my opinion has been affected by the editing of the show and the boards more than anything she actually did. I don’t really have an issue with her. She’s a bit too much for me, but she seems fun, and certainly appears to be a favorite of her teammates. However, I felt Kashara overload from the show, especially last year, and she’s one of the ones on the boards where I feel there’s a “how you can not see how fabulous Kash is” response any time there’s a comment that’s even remotely negative about her, while others get trashed regularly. So while I wish her well, I will not be sad to see her go. 

Edited by Jess14
  • Love 12
11 hours ago, Monique said:

Rookie Rachel. She said she just wanted to keep dancing for a while longer so I give her 2 years max. Majority of the rookies I believe are 22-24 with the exception of Brennan so I could see them staying for more than 1 year. Regarding the 2nd years, I wouldn't be shocked if Miranda, Molly, Rachel, Savannah, and Christina were done after this year. If they don't retire I could see them being cut at finals, they aren't very strong dancers. 

Side note: I'm still shocked that Savannah got ROTY, it seems in the past all the other ROTY were powerhouses/great dancers and ended up towards the front of the triangle (Kash, JennK, Holly A, Heather  Mary, etc). 

The fact that Savannah got ROTY and isn't a powerhouse or even one of the best dancers says so much about her character and who she is as a person and teammate.  

As for your top paragraph, I agree about Rookie Rachel.  I love her but I don't see her being a 5 year girl.  It wouldn't shock me if she's one and done; tho vets don't have to deal with CMT as much so she may be ok with doing another year if it means she's not dealing with cameras all the time. I think Miranda and Molly will re-audition for sure.  Savannah and Christina I could see retiring.  Rachel is actually a really strong dancer, weight is more her issue so she may be over it.  

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, LaurenBrook said:

The fact that Savannah got ROTY and isn't a powerhouse or even one of the best dancers says so much about her character and who she is as a person and teammate.  

As for your top paragraph, I agree about Rookie Rachel.  I love her but I don't see her being a 5 year girl.  It wouldn't shock me if she's one and done; tho vets don't have to deal with CMT as much so she may be ok with doing another year if it means she's not dealing with cameras all the time. I think Miranda and Molly will re-audition for sure.  Savannah and Christina I could see retiring.  Rachel is actually a really strong dancer, weight is more her issue so she may be over it.  

I wonder about Miranda, but pretty sure Molly will try to come back. Christian and Savannah can go right now. Savannah may be nice but can't keep up and I have nothing nice to say about Christia's dance or attitude or looks. 

Tasha and Yuko are two I wonder about. Tasha's done this a long time now and maybe fighting weight but I love her. Yuko is Yuko and three years is a lot away from home.

Same for weight and away from home for Maddie, esp. coming from Utah where most girls her age are married by now. I wonder if she feels the pressure and has never really dated. I know, she's like 21 or 22, but I had a big discussion with one of my friends who is also devout LDS, and it's different for her culture. 

• Love 8

A reminder: please do not bring up politics here. The politics on the DCC participants' social media feeds are not relevant to our discussions here, since we don't allow discussion of politics that isn't directly shown on the show.

• Love 7
50 minutes ago, EricaShadows said:

As for Brennan, I think she'll stay at least a few years, just because she's worked SO hard to get there and has finally done so.  She's also a solid dancer, brings a maturity they need and seems to be an all-around GOOD person.

I want to hug this post :)

• Love 11
On 10/22/2018 at 12:07 PM, vivianspoetry said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa! The only comparison to Brittney is perhaps Aphrodite herself.  Joking aside, I really don't remember much about Erin from last year, but she was definitely one of the stronger rookie candidates this year.  I think she looks good in that headshot, but am not really a fan of her look while dancing.  Her face is already on the longer side, and almost seems to droop when she dances.  

This!!!^ You are soooo right, Brittney is in a league of her own ~ she is fabulous!!!  Erin has come a long way and definitely a success story from last year's TC - I think she's cute, at best. I totally get what you're saying about her face - her eyes appear droopy 

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, UnicornKicks said:

Kashara is not dumb. She has an education degree and has plans for PT school. I'm finishing up PT school and its is a TON of physics, chem, A&P, etc. plus the actual PT classes and clinicals. I know English/writing is not my strong point, never has been, doesn't help that my dad's side is ESL but he's also a PT and super smart. Kashara is so dedicated to fitness and so motivating I think she'll do great as a PT. 

Kashara prob comes from a background where it's more modest and acceptable to play down accomplishments about yourself and not look like you're conceited or bragging, like Gina did. Not trashing Gina, she's growing on me, but I know in my own fam we'd NEVER say we were the best in the room or had special skills others didn't. 

Part of why I do not like JennK is how she was so snotty toward Kashara's country accent and acts like she needs to be fake and change herself to fit Jenn's expectations of what is proper and acceptable. To me this is as bad as acting a person of color to "Act White" or somebody from another country to "Act American" and drop their culture and traditions. I've seen it happen in my own family. Not cool.  

Now Kellie Pickler absolutely admits she plays off the naive country girl and dumb blonde stereotype, but Kashara is not Kelli. 

A couple comments on here have made it sound like JennK made a comment about KaShara's accent. What happened?

42 minutes ago, UnicornKicks said:

and I have nothing nice to say about Christia's dance or attitude or looks. 

Me either! She can pull an Alexandria and I would not be the least bit upset! (Sorry all you Christina fans)

• Love 3
12 hours ago, TexasBorn said:

I'm just going to say it ... I want Khalyn as point. Next year needs a strong black female role model.

That would be cute, but I just don't think she's THE black girl for point. She's cute and all, but she doesn't have what I personally would look for in a point.

1 hour ago, ByTor said:

I disliked her ever since the "these shorts are shorter than my attention span" comment.  Again, making her sound stupid and flaky in an attempt to be cute.  Way to perpetuate the pro cheerleader stereotype.

It's clear we all have different opinions, but I honestly think that's who she genuinely is. I don't think she's trying to be cute or anything. She just is :)

1 hour ago, PrincessLeia said:

Maybe she really is that country- people who actually know her have said time and time again that’s how she has always spoken, and her countryisms don’t make her less intelligent. Furthermore, just because you’re country doesn’t mean you’re stupid and afraid to “improve your mind and show your intelligence.” Kashara isn’t Kellie Pickler. I guess I’m not really sure what the point of your post was.... are you saying Kashara is dumb or that you just don’t like her accent and phrases because you think she’s putting it on to seem dumb? Which people who know her say isn’t the case. ?‍♀️

+1

28 minutes ago, sleepyjean said:

LOL, people are never going to give up hope that Christina gets the boot. I will be really amused if she turns into a 4-5 year vet.

Lol same. I don't get the hate. Let the girl live her dream. It seems like as the years progress that the competition is getting tougher, so it just may be difficult for her to keep up considering she isn't as strong as the rest of the girls. Hopefully for her though she is able to leave when SHE wants to and not when the judges want her to.

• Love 11
18 minutes ago, Isolabella said:

A couple comments on here have made it sound like JennK made a comment about KaShara's accent. What happened?

Basically said rookie year Kashara needed change her accent to be a DCC and pressed to keep her off show group first two years bc of it. Personally I wonder if she somehow intimidates JennK with her honesty and vibrance, and how she gets along so well and is inclusive to EVERYBODY, instead of being an elitist snot. JennK doesn't seem to realize honesty looks a whole lot more WORLD CLASS than being a robot.  

• Love 18
1 hour ago, PrincessLeia said:

Maybe she really is that country- people who actually know her have said time and time again that’s how she has always spoken, and her countryisms don’t make her less intelligent. Furthermore, just because you’re country doesn’t mean you’re stupid and afraid to “improve your mind and show your intelligence.” Kashara isn’t Kellie Pickler. I guess I’m not really sure what the point of your post was.... are you saying Kashara is dumb or that you just don’t like her accent and phrases because you think she’s putting it on to seem dumb? Which people who know her say isn’t the case. ?‍♀️

I concur with this. I live more on the western side of KY and the accents from Eastern KY are a hella lot more thick than over here. Like her accent is pretty much spot on to where she's from. They are def more "country" over there. But with Kentuckians, you'll have hit and miss accents too. Mine isn't very pronounced, but 15 miles away from here, people still say "warshing machine" and have an accent that could rival Kash's. And I find that my accent does tend to get thicker when I get around people who don't have one as bad, or maybe it just sounds more pronounced  IMO. 

When I heard her say she was from KY I was like oh def must be Eastern. It's a whole other world on that side of the state, I think American Idol Gives back did a campaign there because it's rough. 

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, LadyMsJay said:
12 hours ago, TexasBorn said:

I'm just going to say it ... I want Khalyn as point. Next year needs a strong black female role model.

That would be cute, but I just don't think she's THE black girl for point. She's cute and all, but she doesn't have what I personally would look for in a point.

I don't think the physical presence will be there for point...in the sense that I have a strong feeling she'll be retiring this year :)

• Love 2
On 10/22/2018 at 2:05 PM, IzzyEnd said:

That is true. Can't argue there. I really do hope some of these rock star rookies stay to be even better vets. If everyone manages the 1st year storm and keep weight in check. Next year could be hard for new girls to make camp at all. Makes one wonder...how many current vets will retire.

Oh yea, meant to ask. Does Miranda seem off this year, or frumpy? I like her down to earthiness, but she seems not put together as well as I remember last year. But hey, my son's tell me my eyes are the low budget brand.

LMAO!! ..........I can soooo hear my son OR my daughter saying something like that to me!!!  Seriously,  I've always seen Miranda as somewhat frumpy and "matronly".  

• Love 3

So do the group leaders and seconds have a say in who makes show group? The show has never made it seem like that’s the case, especially since there have been group leaders who tried but never made it (Angela). So, was this just a matter of K&J respecting Jenn’s opinion and reaching out to her about who she thought should be on show group? I’m just trying to get a feel as to how this occurred because it seems odd that she would feel comfortable making her complaints about a team members accent to K&J.

I find it silly regardless. It’s not like Kashara is a spokesperson for a Manhattan based company who regularly gives presentations to international clients. She’s a DCC in Texas. Why on earth would her accent be a big deal?

• Love 10

Has a redhead ever been point? Kelly has frequently commented on looking for differing hair colors, what better way to show that off than at point.  Savannah won ROTY, so they apparently think she is a good dancer.  If enough vets retire, is it inconceivable that Savannah could be point next year?  Not saying it would be my pick, but I could see it happening for those reasons, albeit a very slim possibility.  Would the boards riot more if Savannah was point or if VK makes the squad next year? 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, vivianspoetry said:

Has a redhead ever been point? Kelly has frequently commented on looking for differing hair colors, what better way to show that off than at point.  Savannah won ROTY, so they apparently think she is a good dancer.  If enough vets retire, is it inconceivable that Savannah could be point next year?  Not saying it would be my pick, but I could see it happening for those reasons, albeit a very slim possibility.  Would the boards riot more if Savannah was point or if VK makes the squad next year? 

ROTY is not about dance. Judy would murder Savannah before letting her be point. 

• Love 23
47 minutes ago, jlc said:

Me either! She can pull an Alexandria and I would not be the least bit upset! (Sorry all you Christina fans)

Did I miss something .... why the Christina hate ? Has anyone here on the boards met her in person and she was rude?  I dont think we get a true impression from CMT. She has worked hard to get on the team ... I think she will go another year.

• Love 3
On 10/23/2018 at 4:18 PM, J-R said:

One more thing....Bridget for point next year. 

I agree! I for sure see her in Gina or Khalyn’s position and depending on how many vets retite, triangle.

25 minutes ago, UnicornKicks said:

Basically said rookie year Kashara needed change her accent to be a DCC and pressed to keep her off show group first two years bc of it. Personally I wonder if she somehow intimidates JennK with her honesty and vibrance, and how she gets along so well and is inclusive to EVERYBODY, instead of being an elitist snot. JennK doesn't seem to realize honesty looks a whole lot more WORLD CLASS than being a robot.  

Ok as a Kashara AND JenK fan, i honestly don’t think Jenn had anything to do with this. When Kashara made show group last season most people here said she isn’t strong enough. I kinda agree, in the sense that in her first two years there was absolutely no way she could beat out any of the girls on SG. So maybe Jen made a comment that Kelli took into consideration, but I doubt she was a contender in place of Jenna, Jenn, Erica, Cersten and the rest.

7 minutes ago, vivianspoetry said:

Jalyn for point!

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, vivianspoetry said:

ROTY is voted by the girls with Judy, Kelli and Charlotte having the final say so in who is picked. I seriously doubt it has to do with dancing skills. I also seriously doubt Savannah would be point girl. She is not a strong enough dancer to be one.

This accent talk reminds me of a tidbit in a Malcolm Galdwell podcast about a controversy on Wheel of Fortune.  The answer was Seven Swans a Swimming, but the contestant pronounced it Seven Swans a Swimmin'.  The audience started applauding as if she had solved the puzzle, but Pat Sajak said they can't accept that answer and moved onto the next contestant.  What made it even more controversial was the fact that the g was already on the board, so it wasn't as if she didn't know the word.  I live in the upper Midwest, and even though our accents aren't very thick, most people tend to drop those g's, so that really stuck out to me while listening.

10 minutes ago, UnicornKicks said:

ROTY is not about dance. Judy would murder Savannah before letting her be point. 

Haha.  I didn't know ROTY wasn't about dance, but I didn't know they had a ROTY until a few minutes ago.  ?  What is it based on?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, UnicornKicks said:

Same for weight and away from home for Maddie, esp. coming from Utah where most girls her age are married by now. I wonder if she feels the pressure and has never really dated. I know, she's like 21 or 22, but I had a big discussion with one of my friends who is also devout LDS, and it's different for her culture. 

I've wondered myself about Maddie's retirement since she's a devout LDS follower.  I believe female LDS over 21 do their 18 month mission.  She may decide to retire to do so.

1 minute ago, Law Mom said:

Now that was the comment that made me a fan. All these TCCs are so careful with everything they say and finally here was a girl who had a sense of humor and was not afraid to use it in front of a camera.

+1

• Love 6
13 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

Good Lord, she's 50, not 80. I wish Judy still danced.

By 40 most people can tell which joints have the beginnings of arthritis...i cant pt the way I used to when i was in the military. I merely meant, it was nice to see her dancing, instead of explaining and then letting a young helper do the rest

• Love 2

I don't dislike Kashara at all.  I do feel like CMT spent too much time focusing on her which made me kind of get sick of seeing her so much, but that is really a criticism of CMT.  I wish that they wouldn't pretend that there are only a couple of girls on the squad.  

I think that Kashara is very intelligent and that her accent is completely authentic.  However, I do personally believe that she knows how to play up her "country cuteness".  For instance, I think that she was well aware that her "I can even change your oil" comment would draw laughs and attention well before she said it.  So, I do think that she plays it up a bit.  I do think that she seems like a really nice person and a great teammate, but I disagree that she has no awareness of her country persona.

All of that being said, I have a feeling that I will miss her next year, especially if Gina gets point.  Kashara is really cute and glams up beautifully.  I don't find that to be true of Gina and some of the other possible contenders (although I do like some of the possibilities better than others).

• Love 5

Unless something changes, Miranda is reaudtioning next year. She told us so at DCC camp, after she was engaged. 

I will miss Kashara next year simply because she is a genuinely nice person who tries to include everyone. That goes a long way with me, especially in this mean girl and me first world in which we live!

• Love 24
1 hour ago, vivianspoetry said:

yeah, ROTY has nothing to do with dance ability.  I adore Sav but can't ever see her as point LOL  

• Love 4

I wouldn’t mind seeing vet Rachel move up a good bit in the formation. I think she’s a great dancer with lots of power. I am actually a bit surprised that she doesn’t have a better position this year. Gina, Lauren, Lexi, and Rachel are the remaining 2 year girls that I find to be above average dancers (I’m referring to average in terms of DCC, not dancing by regular people). 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, UnicornKicks said:

I was ambivalent toward JennK until Yuko's rookie year.  I didn't see JennK (group leader, point) jumping in to befriend Yuko, take her under her wing and make her feel welcome - at least the cameras didn't show anything like that, nor did any insiders indicate that happened.  It was Kashara who did it.  I believe Kelly may have asked Kashara to help Yuko, but even so, she made her feel more a part of the sisterhood.  I'm a shy person and couldn't have done this.  Not to mention I would have been really intimidated by having to try to converse with someone I could barely understand and this would have been the situation both ways with Yuko understanding Kashara's strong accent.  My opinion is that Kashara deserved point if for no other reason than demonstrating leadership and showing what world class is just by what she did for Yuko.

Edited by MicahGiggles
Correct spelling is a good thing.
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, Pebbles116 said:

+1

I thought it was hilarious, and something I'd have said, as would any number of my friends. it was just a joke, she wasn't being serious.

32 minutes ago, edelweiss said:

I don't dislike Kashara at all.  I do feel like CMT spent too much time focusing on her which made me kind of get sick of seeing her so much, but that is really a criticism of CMT.  I wish that they wouldn't pretend that there are only a couple of girls on the squad.  

I think that Kashara is very intelligent and that her accent is completely authentic.  However, I do personally believe that she knows how to play up her "country cuteness".  For instance, I think that she was well aware that her "I can even change your oil" comment would draw laughs and attention well before she said it.  So, I do think that she plays it up a bit.  I do think that she seems like a really nice person and a great teammate, but I disagree that she has no awareness of her country persona.

All of that being said, I have a feeling that I will miss her next year, especially if Gina gets point.  Kashara is really cute and glams up beautifully.  I don't find that to be true of Gina and some of the other possible contenders (although I do like some of the possibilities better than others).

and? who doesn't say something that they know will make people laugh? it was a first day, an intimidating day for first time rookies (and all rookies but esp those never there before), and having people laugh breaks that tension, shows her sense of humour, lets people relax.  why is it so bad to be aware that something you say will make someone laugh?

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Law Mom said:

Now that was the comment that made me a fan. All these TCCs are so careful with everything they say and finally here was a girl who had a sense of humor and was not afraid to use it in front of a camera.

It’s not like you can’t understand what she is saying. If has something interesting to say, who cares about her accent? 

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

I wouldn’t mind seeing vet Rachel move up a good bit in the formation. I think she’s a great dancer with lots of power. I am actually a bit surprised that she doesn’t have a better position this year. Gina, Lauren, Lexi, and Rachel are the remaining 2 year girls that I find to be above average dancers (I’m referring to average in terms of DCC, not dancing by regular people). 

I really like Rachel and I don’t really get why she’s being so overlooked. She’s too far in the back for someone with her power and dance ability.

5 minutes ago, MicahGiggles said:

JennK has a lot of nerve.  I was ambivalent toward her until Yuko's rookie year.  I didn't see JennK (group leader, point) jumping in to befriend Yuko, take her under her wing and make her feel welcome - at least the cameras didn't show anything like that, nor did any insiders indicate that happened.  It was Kashara who did it.  I believe Kelly may have asked Kashara to help Yuko, but even so, she made her feel more a part of the sisterhood.  I'm a shy person and couldn't have done this.  Not to mention I would have been really intimidated by having to try to converse with someone I could barely understand and this would have been the situation both ways with Yuko understanding Kashara's strong accent.  My opinion is that Kashara deserved point if for no other reason than demonstrating leadership and showing what world class is just by what she did for Yuko.

But Kelli paired up kashara with yuko precisely because Kashara has that big shiny personality. We have no idea if Jenn tried to include Yuko or not, but even if she completely ignored her (which I doubt), I don’t expect the point to be bffs with every single member of the squad just to have the ‘honor’ of dancing up front.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, ByTor said:

I don't think the physical presence will be there for point...in the sense that I have a strong feeling she'll be retiring this year :)

I politely disagree. Her look is unique and she will obviously stand out from the rest.

• Love 1

Aww I love Brennan - I hope she stays more than one year.  It's odd how there have been several women over the years who've tried out several times and when they finally make the team they're only there for a year.  I don't really dislike any of the ladies this year.  I could've done without the excessive focus on VK and Malena but I didn't really dislike VK.  She sorta reminded me of a puppy LOL.  With a "b" for a mom.  :)

4 minutes ago, dreamcatcher said:

Edited by MicahGiggles
Can't figure out how to delete these boxes! rookie error
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, dreamcatcher said:

But Kelli paired up kashara with yuko precisely because Kashara has that big shiny personality. We have no idea if Jenn tried to include Yuko or not, but even if she completely ignored her (which I doubt), I don’t expect the point to be bffs with every single member of the squad just to have the ‘honor’ of dancing up front.

I didn't say they should be bffs, but as the leader of group one as well as basically the leader of the team overall, you would expect an effort to be made to help new folks feel welcome.  We can agree to disagree. I stick with my opinion.

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, edelweiss said:

However, I do personally believe that she knows how to play up her "country cuteness".  For instance, I think that she was well aware that her "I can even change your oil" comment would draw laughs and attention well before she said it.  So, I do think that she plays it up a bit.  

If we are people living in the world interacting with other humans we know how to "play up" aspects of our personality to make people feel comfortable or to feel liked ourselves. That can be inauthentic, but I've never gotten a "she's faking it" vibe from Kashara. That accent is not a put on and it's offensive that people equate it with her genuineness or her intelligence.

• Love 14
1 minute ago, veronicamers said:

If we are people living in the world interacting with other humans we know how to "play up" aspects of our personality to make people feel comfortable or to feel liked ourselves. That can be inauthentic, but I've never gotten a "she's faking it" vibe from Kashara. That accent is not a put on and it's offensive that people equate it with her genuineness or her intelligence.

Well said!  I try not to be overly sensitive about this but it's a real thing.  I grew up in Louisiana and now live in Houston so I have all kinds of an accent and have had people ask me if I'm trying to annoy them with a fake southern accent.  That's usually when my response will get me in trouble.  

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, dreamcatcher said:

I really like Rachel and I don’t really get why she’s being so overlooked. She’s too far in the back for someone with her power and dance ability.

Agreed. I don’t care for Jenn K at all, but I think it’s unfair to insinuate that she, nor anyone else, never tried to make Yuko feel welcomed. Hell, did Yuko even say that she didn’t feel welcomed on the team? I honestly don’t remember. That’s not to take away from Kashara. She’s obviously a nice person with a welcoming personality, but I don’t Kashara had any increased responsibility to be friends with everyone just because she ended up getting point. If she is, great. If not, that’s fine too.  

Generally though, I disagree with this mindset that the point girl is somehow to supposed to be the nicest girl or even the leader of the team.....that’s what I think group leaders are for. Even when i was cheering in high school, seniors were front and center at the sidelines at football games, but for competitions, which were the premier events, absolutely not. If there was a senior and a sophomore who were equally good, then of course, the senior goes up front. Otherwise, the sophomore gets the spot. The notion that point shouldn’t be based on dance is odd to me.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, MicahGiggles said:

I didn't say they should be bffs, but as the leader of group one as well as basically the leader of the team overall, you would expect an effort to be made to help new folks feel welcome.  We can agree to disagree. I stick with my opinion.

Maybe Jen K didn't like Yuko's accent, either. LOL!

• Love 11