Type keyword(s) to search

Finals, Training Camp and Social Media

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

Did anyone notice how Judy didn’t even respond to Kelli’s comments in this episode?

Kelli would turn and make comments while looking at Judy and Judy wouldn’t look

back at her or really respond back.

Edited by FLAfan
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

Fair enough, but how would you feel if your job, with it's high stakes and extensive application and training period was filmed, chopped up for tv, your experience molded into a dramatic story-line, and aired, and then you had to listen to a bunch of people who don't really understand that application and training process or the daily grind of your job (but think they do) dissecting your every move and going on about how you you're doing it wrong?I just think it's different when you're the one under the microscope for all the world to comment on.

I think Judy had a very human and understandable reaction. While viewers have every right to watch the show and form their own opinions, for Judy this isn't tv. This is her job every day, day after day for almost 30 years. She does not edit the show and does not control which stories are told and how. So yeah, she's had enough of low-information viewers Monday morning quarterbacking her decisions and her qualifications. I can't say I blame her. I don't believe that just because people are on tv or are celebrities that they don't have the same emotions and frailties as anyone else. For the most part, she handles it with grace. Occasionally it gets to her. I have no problem with that.

That's the thing, I wouldn't allow it (the filming of my job) for a variety of reasons.  But they agreed to it.  Whether they have a hand in the editing or not. They put themselves out there to be dissected.  The show has given DCC a ton of exposure, but now they have to take the good with the bad. The part of my post that you didn't quote specifically says that I understand her reaction and probably would feel exactly like Judy does if I were in her place. I'm not attacking her job. Merely the way she publicly handled the criticism. Which, to me - in this instance - was poorly. From the looks of it, I'm not the only one who feels this way. ??‍♀️

ETA: If I sound confrontational, I do apologize. It isn't my intention. I just really hate those "couch" type comments. I think her ire and frustration should be directed at the crappy editing as opposed to the viewers. I'm sure Judy regrets her emotional reactive tweets now if she deleted them. Either that or Kelli threatened her with remedial social media training. 

Edited by KnyghtRyder
  • Love 13

The bottom line is that if this were the worse case of favoritism in the world, Victoria would be on the team. All that happened was that she was cut later rather than sooner.  She was not qualified this year and should not have made it, and she didn't.  So what that she hung around a little longer? The final team was not affected in any way.  I think Malena's case is worse. Yes, she is beautiful and professional, but she can't do the dance part. And this is a dance team. She is a far greater risk  to the organization than Victoria or Tara.  I suspect that they are letting her stay because they really want her to get that extra training and work on the choreo for a full year, but she doesn't know that. She was a bundle of nerves last night.

• Love 7
On 10/17/2018 at 9:41 PM, Kate2006 said:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, I Shazamed it the other night because I liked it too. It's Sax by Fleur East. I've never heard of them

I don’t know if anyone mentioned this yet, but when I heard that song it sounded so familiar to me - couldnt figure it out, then I remembered it was the song used for the fan vote combo ether the last or the next to last time they had the fan vote.  Listened to it over end over watching fan vote videos!

10 hours ago, SmpIsimon said:

Judy is showing her true colors. What a bitch.  If it weren’t for the viewers, there’d be no show  

I now understand how Cassie came to be such a disgusting human being. 

Judy doesn't care if there is a show. She just wants to do her job without constantly being criticized by people who think they know everything, but don't.

• Love 17
57 minutes ago, Loves2Dance said:

The fact that Kelli admitted she would have put VK in a uniform had she been allowed to (aka go over 36 girls) continues to showcase how far she was from reality during this process.

If that had happened (or happens in the future) K can never cut someone for weight, attitude or mistakes again without everybody in the world crying foul.

The biggest sign of favoritism (besides the fact that she on the show until the next to last episode) -- the edit showing VK hugging each of them, showing her walking through the tunnel and hugging K's assistant, etc. and CMT's comment "hold your head up."  I am open to correction but I don't recall CMT ever making a post like that before.  VK was the story this year and it fell completely flat and did nothing but show K&J in a really bad light.

I also agree with the comment that Judy's comments were a put down of the fans that watch the show.  I would be careful, those same fans may not be viewing next year.

Take the hint CMT, Charlotte, Kelli and Judy:  in TV parlance your show is coming awfully close to "jumping the shark" and losing whatever goodwill and credibility it had in the past.

Edited by MTTFan
  • Love 22
On 10/17/2018 at 11:41 PM, viccib said:

possibly due to the fact that K&J asked her to help choose the cameo pics

Her helping chose the cameo pics should be cause for termination, not a promotion.  Some of them were the worst of all time.   Lol.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Law Mom said:

Judy doesn't care if there is a show. She just wants to do her job without constantly being criticized by people who think they know everything, but don't.

I don't think she wants to do with her job without being criticized by people think they know everything -- it was pretty obvious that she did not want to deal with the possibility that their opinions may have been valid.  I

2 minutes ago, MyFavShows said:

Her helping chose the cameo pics should be cause for termination, not a promotion.  Some of them were the worst of all time.   Lol.

You can't fire Jinelle without firing Judy or Kelli -- I don't think that the cameos were picked on the spot and they certainly wouldn't have been approved without Kelli's okay.

• Love 8
On 10/18/2018 at 12:19 PM, ShellyB said:

Shelly has created relationships with directors through networking at competitions that she judges, visiting teams that play at AT&T Stadium, and personal friends. It’s easy to know about our local (Texas, Oklahoma & Louisiana) teams, but she has branched out to some of the top competitive teams in the country. The only advantage they might have, is a recommendation that goes directly to K & J, coming from their directors. 

This makes me wonder how much of an advantage these recruited girls have over regular girls who have “a dream” and go tryout.  Like what percentage make it into camp that weren’t recruited, and what percentage of recruited girls get cut at semis/finals...   Like if the DCC doesn’t know who you are beforehand, how much of s shot do you really even have?

• Love 5
15 hours ago, ATLGirl said:

I noticed that Meredith's flag photos were taken by former TCC Ashley Kelly. Yep, the one whose dog ran away the night before her first time trying out. I remember her taking Meredith's "jump split clinic" so I guess they've stayed friends over the years. I remarked to my husband that being transferred from Buenos Aires to Bogota did not sound good.

I had some sympathy for the editors when it came to VK's mascara nightmare. It just took on a life of its own.

As I was watching VK's cut (and wishing I had some cake), I was wondering if she truly knew it was coming. Some here have said that VK was told she was guaranteed a spot on the team no matter what. So was she sailing along thinking she had it in the bag, even when she walked into the office that night? Or did someone take her aside and say "Look, Victoria, your deal is done. Too much happened to overcome. Be ready to get cut." ? I can't honestly tell because of the editing and the weird way Kelli was talking as if she was passing a kidney stone because it was so painful to cut her BFF's daughter.

I loved Ashley Kelly - she seemed so sweet and funny.  Not the brightest bulb in the box, but I just thought she was so cute.  Also totally gorgeous.   I wish she could have got the dancing down well enough to make the team.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, MyFavShows said:

This makes me wonder how much of an advantage these recruited girls have over regular girls who have “a dream” and go tryout.  Like what percentage make it into camp that weren’t recruited, and what percentage of recruited girls get cut at semis/finals...   Like if the DCC doesn’t know who you are beforehand, how much of s shot do you really even have?

A great shot if you can dance and fit the criteria of what they are looking for? How many people has Kitty recommended to K&J that never make the team? Just because they don’t know you prior to prelims doesn’t mean a thing. This is what I have gotten from the show after watching for all these years. Kelli, who is currently on the squad started trying out in Season 3. Kitty recommended her over and over. K&J never picked her for training camp. I know Kelsi Reich was recruited and didn’t have to appear at prelims but that seems to be one of the few cases. Holly (redhead) was unknown to them from what I can remember. Same with Madeline Massingill. All the dancers from other teams out of state, etc.

Edited by PBSLover
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, PBSLover said:

A great shot if you can dance and fit the criteria of what they are looking for? How many people has Kitty recommended to K&J that never make the team? Just because they don’t know you prior to prelims doesn’t mean a thing. This is what I have gotten from the show after watching for all these years. Kelli, who is currently on the squad started trying out in Season 3. Kitty recommended her over and over. K&J never picked her for training camp. I know Kelsi Reich was recruited and didn’t have to appear at prelims but that seems to be one of the few cases. Holly (redhead) was unknown to them from what I can remember. Same with Madeline Massingill. All the dancers from other teams out of state, etc.

Yeah - but we had no idea Cianna was recruited until Shelly said something.   I’m wondering if a good percentage of them are, and we are just unaware.  It sounds like Gabby may have been recruited this season as well.  

Edited by MyFavShows
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Law Mom said:

Left to her (Judy) own devices she would have axed all of last year's blenders and VK. IMO, Kelly has more of a heart. 

Edited by TexasBorn
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, TexasBorn said:

Left to her (Judy) own devices she would have axed all of last year's blenders and VK. IMO, Kelly has more of a heart. 

Hmmm.  Who did Judy give her stickers to? She probably has the BEST eye for DCC style talent. I have never seen her do the Kelli thing with “oh, but she’s pretty” 

• Love 5

Alexis: Wow she is photogenic!

Gina: I am a huge fan of Gina.  I am surprised how many people aren't!  Great dance technique, never saw anything that made her seem like she has a bad attitude. If anything I like that she is more reserved than some of the other girls.

Lacey and Kashara:  I know everyone here loves Kashara.  I get that she has the DCC appeal, and Lacey and her are both very photogenic.  But it seems like Lacey and Kashara get all the time they devote to vets!  I want to hear interviews from the others

Maddie: I am surprised they haven't done more to help w her hair.  I see what people mean about her being soft in the middle but I like having a team that's not ONLY stick thin girls

Savannah: MY FAVE!!!!  Love her beautiful red hair and her personality

Tasha: I actually think looks like she has maybe had too much work done... but her personality is great for DCC

Rookie Rachel: Tbh her personality seems overly rehearsed to me... don't love her. too pageant 

fave rookies: Cianna and Gabby 

Kristin and Malena: PLEASE come back next year!! Liked them more than some of the rookies that made it (but I understand they had to be cut for dance mistakes)

Ashley pro: prob my fave former DCC. I miss her and courtney russ

Edited by pisces125
  • Love 7
On 20/10/2018 at 12:25 PM, sleepyjean said:

Fair enough, but how would you feel if your job, with it's high stakes and extensive application and training period was filmed, chopped up for tv, your experience molded into a dramatic story-line, and aired, and then you had to listen to a bunch of people who don't really understand that application and training process or the daily grind of your job (but think they do) dissecting your every move and going on about how you you're doing it wrong?I just think it's different when you're the one under the microscope for all the world to comment on.

I think Judy had a very human and understandable reaction. While viewers have every right to watch the show and form their own opinions, for Judy this isn't tv. This is her job every day, day after day for almost 30 years. She does not edit the show and does not control which stories are told and how. So yeah, she's had enough of low-information viewers Monday morning quarterbacking her decisions and her qualifications. I can't say I blame her. I don't believe that just because people are on tv or are celebrities that they don't have the same emotions and frailties as anyone else. For the most part, she handles it with grace. Occasionally it gets to her. I have no problem with that.

Nope. This is 13 seasons now. They give the girls media training and it’s a big part of the job to handle everything with tact. Judy knows very well not to bite. 

I’ve been there, deserved it less and copped FAR worse, and managed to keep my mouth shut and be gracious.

Judy - sit the f down and be grateful for your platform 

Edited by Pinknblue
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, KnyghtRyder said:

That's the thing, I wouldn't allow it (the filming of my job) for a variety of reasons.  But they agreed to it.  

But did she agree to it? Or was she told by TPTB that there was going to be a show about training camp? I don't think Judy has as much power as some thinks she does.

And, for the record, I thought the post was funny -- you could tell it was out of frustration (& most likely tiredness). I think way too many people are taking it way too personally.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Law Mom said:

I suspect that they are letting her stay because they really want her to get that extra training and work on the choreo for a full year, but she doesn't know that. She was a bundle of nerves last night.

Performance nerves can be very hard to conquer.  I have them when I show my dog.  And believe me, those nerves travel right down the leash to the dog.  Usually it is 80% the handler and 20% the dog in the ring.  If you aren't confident, your dog knows it, thinks it is doing something wrong, and loses its confidence too because it thinks it is disappointing you.  I've worked on it 5 years and probably will always be a bundle of nerves.  I certainly understand Malena's problem.  It is infuriating.  

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, hannahbanana said:

But did she agree to it? Or was she told by TPTB that there was going to be a show about training camp? I don't think Judy has as much power as some thinks she does.

And, for the record, I thought the post was funny -- you could tell it was out of frustration (& most likely tiredness). I think way too many people are taking it way too personally.

I completely agree with you that Judy probably doesn't get much (or any) say regarding the show/editing/etc. It probably feeds her frustration, to which I'm sympathetic. Her employer made the decision to do it.  After 13 years, she knows viewers only get to see small segments of what happens. She knows that viewers are going to form opinions based on those small segments. She's had 13 years to learn how to control her emotional reaction and deal with it in a professional manner. Maybe this season was her breaking point. ??‍♀️ 

People get wrapped around the axel 'bout all kinds of things on here depending on their own pet peeves. KaSharas accent, who should be point, Kelli's blue boots (which I freaking loved, btw), the list goes on. And quite frankly, I probably wouldn't have had any reaction to Judys tweet if she hadn't made the couch comment because that happens to be my pet peeve for a variety of reasons.

So again in this instance - and just IMO, which isn't going to change - her ire is misdirected. That's all. 

Actually if Judy would have just told everyone who "@'d" her with their anger about the episode to go "F*ck themselves," I might have just laughed. I prefer bluntness over passive aggression. Of course she'd have been put in the social media dungeon for all of eternity. Or maybe the actually dungeon. We'd never see her or her glorious hair again. ?

I'm going to move on from Tweetgate now. To ask why the hell iTunes doesn't have the episode ready for download yet ?.

Edited by KnyghtRyder
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, ClosetDCCFan said:

I’m sorry if I missed this up thread, but is anyone else wondering whether Kelli’s comment about “anyone who thought Victoria was a shoo in” was directed at the rumors on this board?

There were a lot of comments Kelli made that felt like they were directed at this board! ?

• Love 4

Finally watching the episode and I can’t believe Tara was cut before VK.  I’m sorry but VK looked terrible in the kick line, her kicks looked terrible and it looks like she puts pressure on those around her to hold herself up.  Look how she made Amy (veteran) mess up her kick in the last episode.  She is so not ready to be on the team but has been giving more chances than any other candidate.  Any other candidate would have been cute a long time ago.  They are ruining any credibility about world class and better not cut anyone else for weight or at least give them as long of as a chance as Victoria.  You know she will be back next year, she will struggle with weight and she will make the team while others who work harder and take it seriously. 

• Love 12
On 20/10/2018 at 10:50 PM, hannahbanana said:

If you really detest elements of your job, you can simply leave! Given that she’s been through over a decade of filming I’m guessing it’s fine with her.

People will always react when they are condescended to.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, PrincessLeia said:

There were a lot of comments Kelli made that felt like they were directed at this board! ?

I kind of thought that the comment was meant to dispel the rumors that VK had been guaranteed a spot -- maybe not only to the board but also to VK and TK?

• Love 3
7 hours ago, MTTFan said:

Take the hint CMT, Charlotte, Kelli and Judy:  in TV parlance your show is coming awfully close to "jumping the shark" and losing whatever goodwill and credibility it had in the past.

I predict they will give VK her own show which will perpetuate the spoiled Southern girl stereotype. As far as the latter part of your statement, it is too late. Their credibility just got cremated and dumped out to sea to swim with the fishes.

• Love 3

Also, Kelli was so much nicer and complimentary to VK than to Dayton.  Praising her and being rude to Dayton.  Just very disappointing since Kelli had known both girls their whole life.  

• Love 23
8 minutes ago, tinabee1967 said:

I predict they will give VK her own show which will perpetuate the spoiled Southern girl stereotype. As far as the latter part of your statement, it is too late. Their credibility just got cremated and dumped out to sea to swim with the fishes.

I can't even imagine the resentment other TCCs would feel if VK got her own show and part of the storyline was to follow her through camp again.

I can't imagine wanting to watch a mean girl reality show but then again, I don't get Paris Hilton or the Kardashians either.

F*ck, I must be old.   *sgh*

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Law Mom said:

The bottom line is that if this were the worse case of favoritism in the world, Victoria would be on the team. All that happened was that she was cut later rather than sooner.  

This. This all day long. In the end I don't care how long they kept her. She's not on the team. 

7 hours ago, Law Mom said:

Also this.

7 hours ago, MTTFan said:

I would be careful, those same fans may not be viewing next year.

I doubt Judy cares about this at all. When the show ends, she'll miss the extra money and invites to cmt events but that's probably all she'll miss.

1 hour ago, hannahbanana said:

Agree to all of this, especially the first part. She had no choice if she wanted to keep her job.

And for the second part, it's interesting to see people get so defensive about their opinions. It happens whenever there is criticism of the fans or this board. The snark is allowed here, but everyone on the show must be above reproach, I guess. One of the many reasons I'd never want to be on TV.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Amk2017 said:

Also, Kelli was so much nicer and complimentary to VK than to Dayton.  Praising her and being rude to Dayton.  Just very disappointing since Kelli had known both girls their whole life.  

Trying to preserve a friendship.

@ShellyB you obviously have great character.  I would be mad as hell.

• Love 12
16 minutes ago, tinabee1967 said:

I predict they will give VK her own show which will perpetuate the spoiled Southern girl stereotype. 

I would be astounded if this happened, but I'd watch at least the first couple of episodes. I don't hate VK and I'd be interested to see how they approach it. I'll give any show that touches on the professional dance world a chance.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Amk2017 said:

Yes! I had stuck up for Victoria on here early on--until Dayton was cut and I finally saw the light.  Dayton was amazing compared to Victoria! Looks, style and potential ability.  It seemed like what she had to work on was extremely minor compared to Victoria and that she would have been great. I watch this show with my husband and teen daughters and they also think this show has gone off the rails this season. I would rather see more of Judi and some of the veterans making decisions rather than Kelli. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, ClosetDCCFan said:

I’m sorry if I missed this up thread, but is anyone else wondering whether Kelli’s comment about “anyone who thought Victoria was a shoo in” was directed at the rumors on this board?

Absolutely!  And I think Judy removed the couch comment because of us!

• Love 2

I have not seen the episode yet because I-tunes has not downloaded it yet, but I think Judy does not care to be on the show. She probably wishes CMT would go away, but Kelli and Charlotte love the attention the show brings to them, so as long as the ratings are good and the money keeps rolling in, the show will continue. I do admit I do not care for all the Cassie/Judy play up on the show, and I have heard some interesting things about Cassie not being the model DCC she was made out to be, but I do agree with Judy 99.9% of the time.

43 minutes ago, MTTFan said:

Trying to preserve a friendship.

@ShellyB you obviously have great character.  I would be mad as hell.

We don't know that she's not.  All we do know is that if she is, she has enough class and intelligence not the blather about it on these boards or any other public forum!  :)

• Love 11
2 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Why does Tina believe people would want to watch it. Is CMT desperate enough to let Victoria have her own show?

If true, because VK is her little girl and she is looking for another bite of the limelight -- keep in mind that if Vk has a show, her mother is bound to be part of it.  Probably wants a little of what Kelli has with MTT.

Edited by MTTFan
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, PrincessLeia said:

There were a lot of comments Kelli made that felt like they were directed at this board!

I disagree with this totally since these segments were actually filmed over 8 weeks ago, way before any of this bubbled up.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Opine said:

We don't know that she's not.  All we do know is that if she is, she has enough class and intelligence not the blather about it on these boards or any other public forum!  :)

Very true.  Which means that she gets props for having that much more character.

1 minute ago, AAEBoiler said:

I disagree with this totally since these segments were actually filmed over 8 weeks ago, way before any of this bubbled up.

keep in mind that this board follows the camp in real time -- not just when the show airs.

• Love 6
On 21/10/2018 at 12:47 AM, Opine said:

Absolutely!  And I think Judy removed the couch comment because of us!

There’s not that many of us here! I think she probably knew, herself, that her comment was a bit much and regretted it... fair enough.

On 21/10/2018 at 12:58 AM, MamaV said:

Are there any more updates about VK possibly getting her own show in her lead up to auditions?  Just wondering. 

Omg everyone STOP talking about it - or they will think it’s a popular idea and will take it seriously...

• Love 14
1 hour ago, KnyghtRyder said:

I completely agree with you that Judy probably doesn't get much (or any) say regarding the show/editing/etc. It probably feeds her frustration, to which I'm sympathetic. Her employer made the decision to do it.  After 13 years, she knows viewers only get to see small segments of what happens. She knows that viewers are going to form opinions based on those small segments. She's had 13 years to learn how to control her emotional reaction and deal with it in a professional manner. Maybe this season was her breaking point. ??‍♀️ 

People get wrapped around the axel 'bout all kinds of things on here depending on their own pet peeves. KaSharas accent, who should be point, Kelli's blue boots (which I freaking loved, btw), the list goes on. And quite frankly, I probably wouldn't have had any reaction to Judys tweet if she hadn't made the couch comment because that happens to be my pet peeve for a variety of reasons.

So again in this instance - and just IMO, which isn't going to change - her ire is misdirected. That's all. 

Actually if Judy would have just told everyone who "@'d" her with their anger about the episode to go "F*ck themselves," I might have just laughed. I prefer bluntness over passive aggression. Of course she'd have been put in the social media dungeon for all of eternity. Or maybe the actually dungeon. We'd never see her or her glorious hair again. ?

I'm going to move on from Tweetgate now. To ask why the hell iTunes doesn't have the episode ready for download yet ?.

Yes!! I’m still waiting. Stupid iTunes.

• Love 1