Type keyword(s) to search

Finals, Training Camp and Social Media

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

Who is the youngest rookie this year? I’m assuming that VK was the youngest TCC candidate. It seems like each year, there are at least a couple of 18 years. Did any make the team this year? This year’s rookies seem older and more experienced than 

On 9/23/2018 at 12:58 AM, SmpIsimon said:

Because in Texas, being a DCC is considered the best thing a woman can do with her life, including going to college. You’ll recall that VK opted to attend the local community college so as not to interfere with her path to becoming a DCC. It’s a shame parents there don’t push education harder when it comes to their daughters. 

I get what you are saying, even though I would have phrased it using different words.  With all due respect, the Bramhalls are allowing Dayton to postpone the completion of her journalism degree so she can go on a dance contract, so yes, I can see how dancing takes precedence.  MOO (my own opinion) is that the RCCL audition was a knee jerk reaction to her cut, so that she woudn't have to be around while VK presumably made the squad and DB didn't.  I know that's way harsh Tai, but that was the very first thing I thought. 

That being said, community college is great, and the concept has come a long way.  My sister went, in between finishing her associates in commercial art and getting her bachelors in education.  She went on to earn her masters + in education.  CC is a great spring board to bigger and better things.  As are trade schools.  And the key is to finish what you start.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:
8 hours ago, CaseyRe said:

the south is faaaar too good at testing my waistline with yummy foods. lots of frying, lots of large portions, lots of delicious flavour, and cooking can be a way of life.  feeling sick? food.  lost a job? food. broke up with partner? food. lost a loved one? food.

Oh yummy you are so right.  The fastest way to get a baptist to church is have dinner on the grounds.  Mac and cheese, funeral potatoes, chicken and dumplings, genuine cream corn (picked from the field of course), smothered pork chops, chicken and dressing, deer sausage, the list just goes on and on.

oh man. funeral potatoes. why? man i miss all that yummy southern goodness. im suprised that those girls can maintain their shapes as good as they do. im going to visit my mother in law for Christmas and after some of her good home cooking at some point im gonna have to hit whataburger. those dccs are the jedi masters of will power.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, ladybug525 said:

oh man. funeral potatoes. why? man i miss all that yummy southern goodness. im suprised that those girls can maintain their shapes as good as they do. im going to visit my mother in law for Christmas and after some of her good home cooking at some point im gonna have to hit whataburger. those dccs are the jedi masters of will power.

That's what we call them down here because someone always brings them for the family to eat after the funeral.  When a church member dies, they are buried across the street and then we all bring something and the family eats at the church.  Someone always brings "party" potatoes.  Hash browns, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, butter, onions, and then it is covered with corn flakes and baked.  So yummy.

I'm an hour from the nearest fast food joint so we rarely do that.

Edited by parrotfeathers
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, PrincessLeia said:

Sun damage. You see it a lot with women of her generation... they just didn’t know how bad the sun was.

For heaven's sake, she's not pre-historic!  I can guarantee that information about sun damage - and sunscreen - was available when she was a young woman.  But some people like a tanned look, no matter what.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, nittanyvolleyball said:

Shelly has a nice natural tan so it makes her look youthful

dayton has the same pretty skin tone/hair color as my Italian son. ive often wondered if dayton was italian or possibly greek. am i toatally off base here @ShellyB? im not trying to be nosey. im just merely curious as dayton kind of has that exotic look my son does that im envious of ? 

21 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

That's what we call them down here because someone always brings them for the family to eat after the funeral.  When a church member dies, they are buried across the street and then we all bring something and the family eats at the church.  Someone always brings "party" potatoes.  Hash browns, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, butter, onions, and then it is covered with corn flakes and baked.  So yummy.

I'm an hour from the nearest fast food joint so we rarely do that.

im very familiar with funeral potatoes lol ?.  sorry, i have a strange way of talking sometimes. i really meant why did you bring then up when i cant have any ???. they are so good. thankfully ive never actually had to go to a funeral to get any. they are a side dish at my husbands family get togethers.

Edited by ladybug525
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, tinabee1967 said:
2 hours ago, ByTor said:

@tinabee1967, not that Amy.

Sorry, my bad!! 

Looks like you remembered season 7 Amy as well as I do :)  LaurenBrook actually gave me the link to that Twitter to refresh my memory, but I'm still drawing a blank!

24 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

For heaven's sake, she's not pre-historic!  I can guarantee that information about sun damage - and sunscreen - was available when she was a young woman. 

I'm just a wee bit younger than Tina.  The information about sun damage may have been available, but many of us didn't know about it.  I recall my teenage years laying outside hours upon hours in a swimsuit & corn oil.  I'm lucky I don't look like a horse saddle today :)

@KoKo, I'll tell you what I find insulting...this show insisting on including the bad interviews, like the one who thought Michelle Obama was president, or the one who didn't know what FBI stands for.  The sad thing is, I think that they think showing this is a good thing to show that they won't take someone who can't answer these questions into TC, but the truth is, all it does is perpetuate the idea that dancers are stupid bubbleheads.  In reality, some people choke under pressure and say stupid things...I remember doing some last minute studying for a final for one of my tax classes, and I was so damn scared I couldn't remember my phone # (I know that didn't happen to FBI girl, she admitted she didn't know).  Anyway, when they show that women they are portraying as stupid show up, I think there are people out there who think all of the women are like that, and that is simply not true. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

For heaven's sake, she's not pre-historic!  I can guarantee that information about sun damage - and sunscreen - was available when she was a young woman.  But some people like a tanned look, no matter what.

Sunbathing was socially acceptable back in the 80s when Tina was in her 20s. My mom and her friends did it ALL THE TIME. They used to lay out and even used baby oil. It was the beginning of the tanning bed era. Furthermore, when she was a child, i guarantee her parents weren’t lathering her up with spf 50 the way i do with my kids now. Because we didn’t have the knowledge and long term studies about how truly terrible the sun can be for you. Thus, the point of my original post as to why Tina looks older than her 53 years- SUN DAMAGE.

1 hour ago, ByTor said:

I'm just a wee bit younger than Tina.  The information about sun damage may have been available, but many of us didn't know about it.  I recall my teenage years laying outside hours upon hours in a swimsuit & corn oil.  I'm lucky I don't look like a horse saddle today :

EXACTLY. 

Edited by PrincessLeia
  • Love 14
6 minutes ago, PrincessLeia said:

Sunbathing was socially acceptable back in the 80s when Tina was in her 20s. My mom and her friends did it ALL THE TIME. They used to lay out and even used baby oil. It was the beginning of the tanning bed era. Furthermore, when she was a child, i guarantee her parents weren’t lathering her up with spf 50 the way i do with my kids now. Thus, the point of my original post as to why Tina looks older than her 53 years- SUN DAMAGE.

I am younger than 53 (mid-40’s) and we all did the same thing.  I calmed down after college, but yeah - being tan was all the rage -  and fake tan technology was nowhere near what it was today - all the stuff just made you orange looking - your tan needed to be from a tanning both or the real sun to look good.   I am just fortunate that I lived somewhere where summer was only 3 months of the year and not Texas ;), so it didn’t matter if you were white from September to May.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, NoWhammies said:

When I lived in Spokane, WA back in the 80s, I always used to hear ads on the radio for "Miss Kitty's Adult Emporium....located where Sprague meets the freeway." 

Believe me, it's still there.  I live in the Spokane area and see it when I have to travel that direction (not that I do so much anymore, that area is not fun for getting anywhere fast, especially with all the one-ways and having to take the "scenic route" to get where you're going).

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, MyFavShows said:

I am younger than 53 (mid-40’s) and we all did the same thing.  I calmed down after college, but yeah - being tan was all the rage -  and fake tan technology was nowhere near what it was today - all the stuff just made you orange looking - your tan needed to be from a tanning both or the real sun to look good.   I am just fortunate that I lived somewhere where summer was only 3 months of the year and not Texas ;), so it didn’t matter if you were white from September to May.

I’m late 30s and my age group is really the last tanning generation, but we knew it was bad. I remember hiding my tanning bed membership from my mom in the mid 90 to late 90s. I also remember trying Coppertone Self Tanner and not only turning orange, but breaking out in hives!!!! So bad!!!!

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, PrincessLeia said:

Sunbathing was socially acceptable back in the 80s when Tina was in her 20s. My mom and her friends did it ALL THE TIME. They used to lay out and even used baby oil. It was the beginning of the tanning bed era. Furthermore, when she was a child, i guarantee her parents weren’t lathering her up with spf 50 the way i do with my kids now. Because we didn’t have the knowledge and long term studies about how truly terrible the sun can be for you. Thus, the point of my original post as to why Tina looks older than her 53 years- SUN DAMAGE.

EXACTLY. 

also, isn't it said that the majority of sun damage happens in our childhood anyway thanks to all the playing and running around outdoors so even if she hadn't tanned, unless her parents were slathering on high factor SPF, she'd have sun damage anyway adn if she were someone very susceptible to it, it'd show more even if she was stringent with sun-related skincare every day of her life after, which she probably hasn't been. not to mention, even when people know something, its not hte same as stopping. people know cancer is a risk if they smoke, they still do. people know liver damage is a risk if they drink too much, they still do it. most people have a 'it'll never be me it happens to' mentality about a lot of things that we know can cause us harm.  Plus, lots of performances outside, sweating off any sunscreen you might have put on (and they'd not have been as long-wearing and light as they are now when TK danced and might not have provided a great base for foundation on top so  many might have skipped application on their face at very least- I've no idea as my mother never wore makeup so I've no idea how well foundation and sunscreen responded to each other in the 80s) for hours at a time with no free time to reapply sunscreen even if any was applied at the start...pretty much all DCC will have sun damage

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Jesslyn said:

Do you happen to know how each of these women did on the “yes/no/maybe” scale at finals? Just curious as to why a vet wasn’t given what kitty calls respect, and so far is shown not saying much in the office with the edits.  From what I heard, a lot was said by Tara, yet mostly they cut it off. 

If I remember correctly, Tara had a 15! 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ladybug525 said:
14 hours ago, nittanyvolleyball said:

Shelly has a nice natural tan so it makes her look youthful

dayton has the same pretty skin tone/hair color as my Italian son. ive often wondered if dayton was italian or possibly greek. am i toatally off base here @ShellyB? im not trying to be nosey. im just merely curious as dayton kind of has that exotic look my son does that im envious of ? 

Appalachian on my father’s side, and Italian on her dad’s side...and that tan I had was from Grand Cayman. I was there during semis through interviews. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, MyFavShows said:

She looks really cute on those photos - much better than she did on MTT.  Great abs.

I love it when TCC's come back looking better than ever. :)  Amy looks great in photos and in the uniform.

25 minutes ago, UnicornKicks said:

Tina is too much but I don't think she looks too bad for a senior citizen. 

Ouch!! Lol!! ?

• Love 1

Maybe I’ve lived in Dallas too long, but I think Tina looks her age and just fine, if a little like every other Southlake/Plano momma.  Shoot, MY momma. She seems like a pretty, vibrant lady who says some of the same off top of her head foolishness out loud like the rest of us. She’s human. 

And if I’m laying out some honesty, I didn’t think Chandler was camera ready either.  Maybe grandma was referencing her face, maybe her kicks, but either way...if good dancers with plain looks can’t get glammed up after makeovers, let them fly.

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, kalibean said:

Maybe I’ve lived in Dallas too long, but I think Tina looks her age and just fine, if a little like every other Southlake/Plano momma.  Shoot, MY momma. She seems like a pretty, vibrant lady who says some of the same off top of her head foolishness out loud like the rest of us. She’s human. 

And if I’m laying out some honesty, I didn’t think Chandler was camera ready either.  Maybe grandma was referencing her face, maybe her kicks, but either way...if good dancers with plain looks can’t get glammed up after makeovers, let them fly.

When Chandler was speaking on camera, I thought she was a cute girl. During photos, I think she was trying too hard by looking stiff and over smiling.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

If I remember correctly, Tara had a 15! 

This is probably a dumb question, but is 15 considered good? In last week's episode they showed Tara dancing and Kitty saying she looked bad, well I thought she looked great. Just another example of Kitty's lack of professionalism. Kitty wanted VK, she didn't like Tara, so she had to start making her look bad. I don't understand the whole Kitty/Kelli dynamic.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, jlc said:

This is probably a dumb question, but is 15 considered good? In last week's episode they showed Tara dancing and Kitty saying she looked bad, well I thought she looked great. Just another example of Kitty's lack of professionalism. Kitty wanted VK, she didn't like Tara, so she had to start making her look bad. I don't understand the whole Kitty/Kelli dynamic.

I've long hated how some of thejudges, in order to build one girl up, will tear another down.  it's not a zero sum game. you don't have to equal out a compliment to one with an insult to another.  yes, its a competition at heart, but the way they're pitted against each other by some judges,.. the way its can't just be 'well, X was dancing wel/okayl tonight, but I found Y more compelling to watch, tighter on the choreo, X was just missing something for me' etc rather than taking a girl that seemed to be doing just fine with the choreo and dance, if appearing tired and sort of done with it all (and can someone explain what was wrong with her hair, because apart from being flat after practice and in need of an oil treatment I don't know what was so disrespectful about it) and trying to tear her down with insults about her looks and behaviour to make VK look good.  there's not enough tearing down of the other girls to make VK squad ready this year.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, kalibean said:

Tina is sooooo Plano! Hahahahahaha I died the first time I heard someone say that about someone else when we lived in Dallas! ???

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, CaseyRe said:

I've long hated how some of thejudges, in order to build one girl up, will tear another down.  it's not a zero sum game. you don't have to equal out a compliment to one with an insult to another.  yes, its a competition at heart, but the way they're pitted against each other by some judges,.. the way its can't just be 'well, X was dancing wel/okayl tonight, but I found Y more compelling to watch, tighter on the choreo, X was just missing something for me' etc rather than taking a girl that seemed to be doing just fine with the choreo and dance, if appearing tired and sort of done with it all (and can someone explain what was wrong with her hair, because apart from being flat after practice and in need of an oil treatment I don't know what was so disrespectful about it) and trying to tear her down with insults about her looks and behaviour to make VK look good.  there's not enough tearing down of the other girls to make VK squad ready this year.

I disliked that dark haired Megan Fox looks like judge who would say things like "(she's) nothing special". I felt like saying, "Bish, let's see YOU kick to your nose while wearing micro shorts!"

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, tinabee1967 said:

I disliked that dark haired Megan Fox looks like judge who would say things like "(she's) nothing special". I felt like saying, "Bish, let's see YOU kick to your nose while wearing micro shorts!"

Right?! I think there are a better ways of saying that you dont think the girl has the elusive 'it'.  even just 'My eyes aren't drawn to her' or 'I feel shes being outdanced' is a more professional, less bitchy way of saying 'she's nothing special'. 

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, tinabee1967 said:

Which one is she? Anyone here know her name?

36 minutes ago, CaseyRe said:

Those statements are sooo disrespectful!! Just remember - karma is not nice!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, jlc said:

15 is a perfect, all 15 judges said yes on the yes/no/maybe. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, kalibean said:

Tina would look amazing among most 53-54 year old women around me.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, Loves2Dance said:

15 is a perfect, all 15 judges said yes on the yes/no/maybe. 

Was that last year or this year she got a 15?   Or do girls only get a Y/M/N at prelims/semis when they are trying out for the first time?

I seem to remember some Y/M/N’s for vets, but I could be wrong.

22 minutes ago, MyFavShows said:

Was that last year or this year she got a 15?   Or do girls only get a Y/M/N at prelims/semis when they are trying out for the first time?

I seem to remember some Y/M/N’s for vets, but I could be wrong.

This was Tara's first year. 

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, MyFavShows said:

I agree, I am not seeing where she looks older than her age.

3 minutes ago, Loves2Dance said:

This was Tara's first year. 

This would have been Tara's second year on the team. 

23 minutes ago, UnicornSparkles said:

I agree, I am not seeing where she looks older than her age.

This would have been Tara's second year on the team. 

I know, but the question was when did Tara get a 15! and that was during her first year. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Melissa the Mentor is back tonight, UGH!!!

Ditto!  Just why?  She was not the greatest DCC ever.  I know other people like her, but I think they could do without and ask other notable DCC Alums to come in.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, rl27rl said:

Ditto!  Just why?  She was not the greatest DCC ever.  I know other people like her, but I think they could do without and ask other notable DCC Alums to come in.

CMT brought her back because she already had a contract with them and thought she would bring in more viewers. It look like it backfired on them because after doing a survey a few years ago viewers were asking for less Melissa the Mentor scenes. They need more former DCCs to come in and work with the girls (no Cassie or Tina please) instead of Melissa.

Edited by bigskygirl
20 hours ago, PrincessLeia said:

Sun damage. You see it a lot with women of her generation... they just didn’t know how bad the sun was. I don’t think she looks terrible but definitely older than her age. Shelly is smokin! 

This is me! Physically I am in the best shape of my life thanks to my love for running and weightlifting..however my décolletage and face are ruined thanks to my constant sun exposure when I was younger.  We all knew the risks, but I didn't care. I'll be feeling great about myself after a hard run then my day will be ruined after being given a senior discount (am only 50 and getting those the past 3+ years). I had my kids at 38 and people used to think I was much younger. A combo of sun and kid stress I guess. 

1 hour ago, MyFavShows said:

I'm close to her age and she looks amazing compared to most people at my 1985 HS reunions.  

• Love 3
On 9/21/2018 at 12:30 PM, UnicornKicks said:

Meredith's rookie story line was being a legacy, same as Victoria. Same info for average viewers. I mean they upfront introed them as MY MOM WAS A CHEERLEADER IN THE 80s.

I knew Meredith's mom was a cheerleader due to the show. But I had no idea her mom and Judy were as close as they were until this forum told me years later.  I was just an average viewer until last season when I wanted to know what happened to Holly.  Thats when I found all lovely people, and this forum is absolute gold ;-). Plus I can discuss the show in privacy.... this show is my guilt pleasure and if my IRL friends knew they'd laugh at me haha

Edited by ales-ya
  • Love 10