Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E06: Pizza Boards & Industrial Doors

They were given something totally opposite of what they asked for in the beginning.

Were they though? I seriously don't remember if they specifically asked for a kid-friendly room. I seem to recall they just felt like the room wasn't being properly utilized, there was a lot of discussion about the over-sized sofas and the ugly wall color the wife liked but the husband was too afraid to admit he didn't. Beyond that I don't remember what exactly they said they wanted done with the room, if anything. If they did say they wanted a room their kids could play in then yeah, Laurie ignored their request, but then their friends should have spoken up about that too. Instead all they seemed to question was the size of the wall/shelving unit rather than the overall functionality and practicality of the room.

Laurie just seems so dramatic to me.  Whenever she talks she draws it out with lost of silences and exaggerated word holds.

She's very "on." It seems like she's hyper-aware of the cameras and is putting on an act. She comes across as a bit phony but I'm willing to chalk this up to her not being quite as relaxed on camera as she could be.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, meowmommy said:

The imaginary homes have separate living and family rooms, and plenty of money for central A/C and the resultant electric bills, thus no need for fans.  Where only tacky people watch teevee, even though TS designers are teevee designers.

Even with central air I wish I had a ceiling fan in my bedroom. Can't because I'm in an apartment but I love the gentile breeze at night.

But I agree that these designers don't really think about the fact people have to live in these spaces once they leave. Even if they left the barn doors up there is about a 98% chance they would never shut them. They'd just be open all the time because it's just going to get annoying opening and closing them every time you want to watch TV or go into the other room.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, vibeology said:

And I don't get why we feel the need to hide TVs. People watch TV. The people on Trading Spaces should be happy that people watch TV because that keeps them in business. Furniture needs to face the TV. The TV needs to be accessible without strain. I don't understand why designers hate TVs.

I personally do understand why designers do not like TV's.......modern electronics (cable boxes etc) just don't mesh well with a lot of designs.  I watch a lot of television but would rather not look at it when it isn't on. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

She's very "on." It seems like she's hyper-aware of the cameras and is putting on an act. She comes across as a bit phony but I'm willing to chalk this up to her not being quite as relaxed on camera as she could be.

Laurie strikes me as always being "on". Not just for the cameras but in real life. She's very aware of appearances and has crafted hers very carefully. She'd be exhausting to be around because she works so hard at being her.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Laurie strikes me as always being "on". Not just for the cameras but in real life. She's very aware of appearances and has crafted hers very carefully. She'd be exhausting to be around because she works so hard at being her.

My son said that designer is very stressed out!  lol  

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Were they though? I seriously don't remember if they specifically asked for a kid-friendly room. I seem to recall they just felt like the room wasn't being properly utilized, there was a lot of discussion about the over-sized sofas and the ugly wall color the wife liked but the husband was too afraid to admit he didn't. Beyond that I don't remember what exactly they said they wanted done with the room, if anything. If they did say they wanted a room their kids could play in then yeah, Laurie ignored their request, but then their friends should have spoken up about that too. Instead all they seemed to question was the size of the wall/shelving unit rather than the overall functionality and practicality of the room.

In the interview before the makeovers started they stated very clearly that they wanted an open room with space for the kids to play. Whether that was communicated in the pre-show package the designers get, who knows, but from the viewer point of view Laurie gave them the exact opposite. The room was crammed with furniture and way too formal for young kids.

Laurie is prissy but she isn't mean so I tend to think that, like with Brown Jessie, she didn't get all the information she needed in the pre-production package. It's possible that the couple, so consumed in their kids, just assumed everyone else would account for them too or they focused so much on saving the buffet that they didn't get the kid-friendly part of the request across clearly. Or Laurie heard what she wanted to hear. Who knows? But that room was the total opposite of what that couple wanted or needed.

• Love 2
On 5/13/2018 at 1:30 AM, Marmiarmo said:

I don't understand the reasoning that every room in your home needs to be decorated around the children.  They have their own rooms, probably a playroom in a home like that, and outdoors, too.  Why do they need to be able to race cars through the dining room or run races through the living room?  (And for the record, I have kids, and grandkids, AND teach preschool.)  I may be an old fuddy-duddy, but why not teach the kids how to behave in a civilized way?  

For the same reason that all the renovation shows rip down all the damn walls so the mom can see aaaaaall the way from the kitchen through to every room on the first floor--because god forbid the kids be left to their own devices for more than 3.5 seconds at a time.  When I was a kid (::rocks chair, smacks gums::) we lived in a small-ish townhouse.  I played in my room, the basement (which was sort of pseudo-finished; it at least had adequate lighting, a carpet remnant, and didn't leak, LOL) or outside.  Every now and then a parent would check to make sure I was still alive, and I vividly recall the shouts of "You all right?" if I did anything resulting in a loud thump or crash...or when it had been quiet for too long.  When I was smaller, sure, of course I played in the living room, but I didn't spread the contents of a Toys R Us around the whole damn place, and I was taught to put my shit away when it was time.  Admittedly, I don't have any kids of my own, but I still can't fathom the concept of letting them take over the whole house.

• Love 21
14 minutes ago, Lovecat said:

For the same reason that all the renovation shows rip down all the damn walls so the mom can see aaaaaall the way from the kitchen through to every room on the first floor--because god forbid the kids be left to their own devices for more than 3.5 seconds at a time.  When I was a kid (::rocks chair, smacks gums::) we lived in a small-ish townhouse.  I played in my room, the basement (which was sort of pseudo-finished; it at least had adequate lighting, a carpet remnant, and didn't leak, LOL) or outside.  Every now and then a parent would check to make sure I was still alive, and I vividly recall the shouts of "You all right?" if I did anything resulting in a loud thump or crash...or when it had been quiet for too long.  When I was smaller, sure, of course I played in the living room, but I didn't spread the contents of a Toys R Us around the whole damn place, and I was taught to put my shit away when it was time.  Admittedly, I don't have any kids of my own, but I still can't fathom the concept of letting them take over the whole house.

I totally agree.  I can't stand all of the home shows that the mother depends on having the kitchen so she can see everyone all of the time--goodness, as you said, how did we all survive in our homes that were not open concept?  I also agree about the playroom situation, etc....it is like now people have to have a playroom or they have tons of toys all over their family/living room as if it is a necessity.  I guess I have always been used to us putting our son's things away after we are done with them.  We might leave something out that we built for a day or two occasionally, but not everything we have gotten out to play with.  Storage in his room is key--it isn't a big room but it is his bedroom and where his toys/games/things to do are.  We just find creative solutions for storage.  I guess for those lucky enough to have a playroom I can see the benefit of having a separate place for the toys.  I just don't have one...

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Eeksquire said:

Was it just my imagination or did Paige break a floor lamp in the living room during the initial unload? I'm sure it wasn't planned to come back into the room, but I thought it was a little weird that it was never mentioned again.

Not your imagination!  They even put it in the commercials/promo.  I wonder if they had to pay for that.  I'm sure you're right that the plan wasn't for it to be returned to the room, but I don't think they usually throw out the old items they take out and don't use.  HO's could use removed items elsewhere in the house.

• Love 1

I'm not usually one for patterns, or ::shuddering:: mixing patterns, but I thought those fabrics Laurie had were gorgeous and even I thought the patterns mixed well.  The unhappy homeowners had a very, very weird vibe.  The male half looked scared to death, and was extremely non-committal until his wife clearly weighed in with how unhappy she was.  Until she expressed her opinion, it was very difficult to tell if she was overwhelmed with joy, or if she hated it.  I suspect her husband kind of liked it, but didn't dare say unless/until his wife agreed.  That vibe was there in the introductory bits where it was apparent she really was proud of her olive green accent wall(s) and her husband though they were fugly, except he couldn't actually say that, so he danced around it, until she reminded him he'd better like it, then he more or less shut up.   The weird thing was, I didn't really get that vibe from them in the footage of working with the other house's designer.  They seemed quite normal until they returned to their own house and the dynamic changed suddenly. 

I also thought their pre-show interview was a little ambiguous.  Obviously during and after the reveal, they felt that they'd asked for a kid-friendly space and didn't get it, but unless they were more specific in their dossier, their pre-change video footage could kind of go either way.  They mentioned the room wasn't working for them, and they talked about the kids, but you could take it that the kids stuff was always there, but they didn't want that, or that the kids stuff was always there and they wanted more.  I don't recall any clear "we need this to be a play space for the kids and comfortable for adults" statements. 

I'm with the other posters who say that furniture and room design are more long-term items than toddler-hood.  Those kids aren't going to need floor space for their Little Tykes plastic slide, Leggos, or Fisher-Price peg people forever.  I also suspect that for a house that size in a neighborhood of that type, there's a whole other room in the house more like a family room--probably with an "open concept" kitchen overlooking the back yard as well--where such kid activities usually occur.  The kid stuff is there in the living room is probably there only to entertain the kids while the parents try to entertain themselves with something other than Sponge Bob or Paw Patrol.

And?  Barn doors are the hot-Hot-HOT thing in design right now.   They should be happy and grateful to have something they can unload in a heartbeat on Craigslist.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Even with central air I wish I had a ceiling fan in my bedroom. Can't because I'm in an apartment but I love the gentile breeze at night.

I live in a 2 bedroom condo with central air and there are ceiling fans in both bedrooms (well, one's an more of an office/library and I turned the closet into a linen closet) and the living room (they were here when I moved in and I probably wouldn't install them if they weren't, but I would be mad if some designer came and took them away). The one in my room is usually going on low most of the year just because I like to huddle under the covers and it keeps me from getting too warm and stuffy.

13 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

The one in my room is usually going on low most of the year just because I like to huddle under the covers and it keeps me from getting too warm and stuffy.

Clockwise in winter, counterclockwise in summer.

If someone removed my ceiling fans here in AZ, they'd soon be missing a few critical body parts.  I don't have much money and using the ceiling fans around the house allows me to keep the central AC thermostat at a higher point and still remain relatively comfortable.  I've always been gobsmacked by TS "designers," especially those working on houses in the south, who pulled down ceiling fans because they found some quirky light fixture.  Form over function may look good in a magazine spread, but it is a sure way to piss off your clients.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I'm not usually one for patterns, or ::shuddering:: mixing patterns, but I thought those fabrics Laurie had were gorgeous and even I thought the patterns mixed well.  The unhappy homeowners had a very, very weird vibe.  The male half looked scared to death, and was extremely non-committal until his wife clearly weighed in with how unhappy she was.  Until she expressed her opinion, it was very difficult to tell if she was overwhelmed with joy, or if she hated it.  I suspect her husband kind of liked it, but didn't dare say unless/until his wife agreed.  That vibe was there in the introductory bits where it was apparent she really was proud of her olive green accent wall(s) and her husband though they were fugly, except he couldn't actually say that, so he danced around it, until she reminded him he'd better like it, then he more or less shut up.   The weird thing was, I didn't really get that vibe from them in the footage of working with the other house's designer.  They seemed quite normal until they returned to their own house and the dynamic changed suddenly. 

I know, right?  Kind of makes me appreciate last week’s homeowner a bit more.  Her ‘what the fuck’ was unambiguous at any rate.

i like both rooms.  Expecting to get new furniture with that budget was unrealistic.

(edited)
4 hours ago, MrsCastle said:

Amazing.  Just watched Paige's description of Laurie's room on TLC.com with a 360 degree video of the room.  At the end she says "And the homeowners loved it" ???

http://www.tlc.com/tlcme/explore-sabrina-soto-and-laurie-smiths-trading-spaces-room-renovations/

"And the homeowners ABSOLUTELY loved it!"   Wow!  What a misrepresentation of what actually happened.  Maybe they did warm up to it later and ended up not hating it, but it was pretty clear that their reaction was the exact opposite of absolutely loving that room.

I'm enjoying this show once again, but once again Paige is nearly ruining it for me.  Enthusiasm is one thing, but I wish she wouldn't interject herself so persistently.  I'm fine with her handing the keys, narrating as the rooms are being done, bringing the HOs in for the reveal, etc, but I find it really irritating when she's involved in the projects and decorating, and talking non-stop.  The show should be more about the decorators and HO's, not so much about her.  I would find it all much more enjoyable if she would step back a bit and not be popping in everywhere.  I realize of course that this is ultimately not her decision.  But she has a big personality that can be very overwhelming, and I think they'd do well to have her involved in smaller doses.

eta:  "Pizza boards", as others have said, drove me crazy too.  No, that's not what they're called!

Edited by DebbieM4
Really wanted to mention pizza boards
  • Love 7

Well they tried taking Paige out in the original and the show tanked, then they brought her back.   I like her and having a host.  I also think it is pretty clear she gets direction on what/how to say things.... Even back in the day when we thought reality tv was "real" :)

• Love 5

After reading all these comments, I just don't understand why the blue HOs are being so vilified here. The two things I recall them saying in the beginning of the show was that their two girls liked to run around the room and they want to be able to spread out. I also recall the blue HO saying to Sabrina that she's a crier. When they got to their house and saw the room, they didn't like it. She cried (normal for an emotional person to not be able to hold in the tears) and the few comments they made reflected that they can appreciate the design but it's not for them. There were no comments about Trading Spaces needing to fix this, nothing rude said to the other HOs, no cursing, nothing like that. To me it was an episode with one hit and one miss, no big deal. It never occurred to me to take the HO's reaction and judge them as ungrateful parents who can't control their kids, who baby them, who never make them clean up their toys, who can't stand to have a wall between them and their children, etc. I just don't see where in the episode all of this vitriol is coming from. But maybe it's just me...

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Jsage said:

After reading all these comments, I just don't understand why the blue HOs are being so vilified here. The two things I recall them saying in the beginning of the show was that their two girls liked to run around the room and they want to be able to spread out. I also recall the blue HO saying to Sabrina that she's a crier. When they got to their house and saw the room, they didn't like it. She cried (normal for an emotional person to not be able to hold in the tears) and the few comments they made reflected that they can appreciate the design but it's not for them. There were no comments about Trading Spaces needing to fix this, nothing rude said to the other HOs, no cursing, nothing like that. To me it was an episode with one hit and one miss, no big deal. It never occurred to me to take the HO's reaction and judge them as ungrateful parents who can't control their kids, who baby them, who never make them clean up their toys, who can't stand to have a wall between them and their children, etc. I just don't see where in the episode all of this vitriol is coming from. But maybe it's just me...

I think you are misinterpreting many of the comments.  Their room and reaction led to general thoughts about those things--and how so many people want and do those things now (spread out the toys, want open concept, etc), but it wasn't directed at the homeowners specifically.  Just general comments about those situations.  At least in my case it was, and I think the others I read I interpreted the same way--I never felt like the homeowners were being targeted--I took it to mean that people were just reacting to the idea of a room for kids, needing to change how you decorate for kids, etc.

• Love 6
21 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

The weird thing was, I didn't really get that vibe from them in the footage of working with the other house's designer.  They seemed quite normal until they returned to their own house and the dynamic changed suddenly. 

I also thought their pre-show interview was a little ambiguous.  Obviously during and after the reveal, they felt that they'd asked for a kid-friendly space and didn't get it, but unless they were more specific in their dossier, their pre-change video footage could kind of go either way.  They mentioned the room wasn't working for them, and they talked about the kids, but you could take it that the kids stuff was always there, but they didn't want that, or that the kids stuff was always there and they wanted more.  I don't recall any clear "we need this to be a play space for the kids and comfortable for adults" statements. 

I agree with the above. Nothing seemed that odd until the reveal; then the dynamic seemed strained. And if they strongly said "we want a combo playroom/family room" that didn't come across by what was shown. Who knows what was actually conveyed. But you'd think for drama purposes if they were very strong about "need a kid running living room," the show would have played it up before the reveal.

I don't have harsh feelings to the HOs. The reveal reaction was just not what I was expecting based on the rest of the show.

• Love 3

I don't know how to copy and paste comments on my laptop; but this is in reaction to Jsage's comment above.  After reading all the comments, I can understand what you are saying.  I think the couple was probably exhausted and had really high expectations.

I am in my 70's and raised my kids in a different era...70's/80's.  Our house was a typical suburban box where you walked right into the foyer/living room; it was also not as large as the houses seem to be now.  We were a "young" neighborhood....lots of kids in and out, visiting neighbors a lot.  My kids had to clean up their toys and such before they went to bed; we had a "formal" living room (I know, sounds ancient now) with a small "family room" off the kitchen...with spindles (remember them???) dividing the kitchen/family room.  Toys were confined to their rooms and family room; they played in their rooms a lot and also out in the yard.  This is probably why there are so many comments about the toys.  I stepped on many a Barbie stiletto in my bare feet back in the day.  And Legos.

To each his own.  I know lifestyles have changed a LOT and there is more emphasis on families being in the same room(s) most of the time.  One summer, my kids and some of their friends decided to build a "house" in our basement with cardboard boxes; kept them occupied for weeks.  Every so often I would toss bread down to them.  Kidding!  But I was actually relieved when they did their own thing.  That makes me sound like a horrible mother.  

But I love all the comments from TS viewers - wouldn't life be dull if we all thought alike?  And yes, Paige is perky perky perky.

• Love 16
53 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I don't know how to copy and paste comments on my laptop; but this is in reaction to Jsage's comment above.  After reading all the comments, I can understand what you are saying.  I think the couple was probably exhausted and had really high expectations.

All you have to do is touch or click on the quotation mark at the bottom of the post you want to quote and it will be placed in the quote box for you all ready to reply.

11 hours ago, Kemper said:

Toys were confined to their rooms and family room; they played in their rooms a lot and also out in the yard.  This is probably why there are so many comments about the toys. 

I grew up in the early 80s. We played outside a lot. My toys were kept in my room. We had an apartment, so no family room. The living room was for watching TV and socializing and my room was for playing with my toys, and the yard was where I was when it wasn't raining or freezing. Snowing, yep, in the yard, building forts and snowmen and having snowball fights. I never needed to scatter my toys all over every room. I am actually enjoying the conversation this ep brought up because it is interesting to hear how differently people live. No way is wrong or right, just what works for that family.

Regarding the ep, I would like to know what the brief Laurie got was. Did they say in the brief that they wanted lots of space for the kids to run around and play or did they not think to mention it until the episode began taping? Because that makes a HUGE difference in regards to Laurie. If they said, then she's just as bad as Hildi totally ignoring what the homeowners want for her own "vision". If they didn't think to mention it until she showed up with her plan and supplies, then they can't really complain that she didn't give them what they wanted. They can complain that they don't like what they got, they do have to live with it, at least for a little while.

I'd love a BTS article or something about this ep because so much of it seemed...off? The reactions were odd, the Blue husband was very strange. He did seem to need his wife's approval before having an opinion. Maybe that was just camera shyness? I hope. I feel bad for him if that is how their life is off camera.

• Love 8

I was underwhelmed by Sabrina's room.  Did the table have a leaf?  Wasn't overly impressed with the wine holder and pizza paddles. Or the little bits of greenery in the wine holder.

I like Laurie's room. And first thing I think of with Laurie is yellow, then fabrics.  I'd have put that special piece of furniture in another room.  The built-in didn't bother me and I liked the storage being accessible on the side. Definitely more elegant than casual. Move the extra chairs, lose some pillows, and be done with it. The mirrors? Use it as a white board for the kids. Run around? Kids can run outside.  The wall color was a huge improvement. 

I'd be so thrilled not to have Hildi that would enough for me :p

• Love 4

No matter how badly I might want a room makeover, and how short of funds I found myself, I would never apply for Trading Spaces in the fear that I would get Hildy.  And I also don't think you can compare a success or failure when the rooms in competition are a dining room and family room.  While I liked Sabrina's room just fine, I couldn't see $2,000 in it. In a lot of ways, making over a dining room is a no brainer.

My daughter wanted a change in her house so decided to paint her dining room table, chairs, and buffet and creamy neutral.  Her house is not all that large with an open concept.  The kitchen, living room and dining area are all together.  With the the weekend of painting the furniture, her downstairs looks like a new house.  I know painting furniture is not for everyone; but for very little money you get a lot of $$$ for your buck.  Toss in a few accessories and you're finished.  Until you can maybe upgrade (if that's what you want) when you can spend the bigger bucks.

So...dining rooms...not the worst challenge.  In my opinion, trying to have an all-purpose space for kids playing, tv watching, snacking and company is way harder to implement than just about any other room in the house.  Other than an entire kitchen re-do.

I also think it is fun reading all the comments here.  We seem a group that spans generations and economic levels.  In this world we currently live in, it's fun to come here and the biggest controversy is "toys"... 

• Love 8
On 5/16/2018 at 8:09 AM, MrsCastle said:

Well they tried taking Paige out in the original and the show tanked, then they brought her back.   I like her and having a host.  I also think it is pretty clear she gets direction on what/how to say things.... Even back in the day when we thought reality tv was "real" :)

Yes, I know.  I just find it jarring when she constantly pops in and the focus shifts to her in ways that (IMO) seem silly.  I work in television, so I understand that this is not Paige running wild and free, deciding what to do and say all on her own.  I'm a pretty perky, friendly person, and I can usually tolerate that type (or find humor in it), but she annoys me for some reason.  Clearly, I'm in the minority among viewers.  I think she's fine for the role, but too much of her makes me want to change the channel.  I need her in small doses.  :-)

On 5/16/2018 at 8:57 AM, Jsage said:

I'm with you.  They didn't like the room, and I don't have a problem with that.  I'm sure they were exhausted, which makes it harder to keep emotions and tears in check, and the whole experience is likely a lot of highs and lows.  The room wasn't what they expected and they were disappointed.  I thought she did a really good job of trying not to break down and/or say anything negative.  I thought the room was okay, but I didn't like that huge monstrosity that dominated it, and sliding the doors, etc. seemed like a real pain.   She also was likely upset because she didn't see the piece of furniture she wanted to keep, having no idea of course that it had been hidden.  I think they said it "wasn't them", and sometimes that happens.  Not everyone likes everything, and I thought their reaction was genuine but certainly not unkind or bratty.  She likely couldn't picture her family there, and thought the less said the better.  She never said she didn't like it until directly asked, and even then she seemed reluctant to admit that she didn't, as though she was making every effort to be polite.   I felt a little sorry for them that they were disappointed, but I thought they handled it well, so I'm not inclined to criticize them at all.

1 hour ago, Kemper said:

No matter how badly I might want a room makeover, and how short of funds I found myself, I would never apply for Trading Spaces in the fear that I would get Hildy.  

I agree!  I wouldn't want her working on my house and I wouldn't want to be working with her on a friends' house either.  

• Love 3

I just find it jarring when she constantly pops in and the focus shifts to her in ways that (IMO) seem silly.  I work in television, so I understand that this is not Paige running wild and free, deciding what to do and say all on her own.  I'm a pretty perky, friendly person, and I can usually tolerate that type (or find humor in it), but she annoys me for some reason.  Clearly, I'm in the minority among viewers.  I think she's fine for the role, but too much of her makes me want to change the channel.  I need her in small doses.  :-)

I'm in that minority even more so.  Paige is hyper-perky and loud and touchy-feely and she's almost enough to make me stop watching the show.  She seemed to run in and out of this episode even more than usual and I cringed every time she appeared.

Another thing that annoys me is all the footage of designers and carpenters doing goofy stuff that wastes time.  We are supposed to believe that they're all working hard because of the time crunch yet they have time to play around with wagons and so on.  So far this season, I think they've had a "comic relief" bit in every show, some more stupid than others.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, Kemper said:

I also think it is fun reading all the comments here.  We seem a group that spans generations and economic levels.  In this world we currently live in, it's fun to come here and the biggest controversy is "toys"... 

Yes, yes, indeed.

8 hours ago, mlp said:

I'm in that minority even more so.  Paige is hyper-perky and loud and touchy-feely and she's almost enough to make me stop watching the show.  She seemed to run in and out of this episode even more than usual and I cringed every time she appeared.

I'm with you on that. For me this show would be 100% improved by her absence. She's too much of an overgrown hyper toddler for me. There is perky and then there is obnoxious and she has crossed over for me. I tend do drift in and out of the ep. When it's the designer (if not Hildi who I abhor) and homeowners I watch, when it's the designers (again excluding Hildi) and the carpenters I am actively interested, and I like to see the rooms when they are done. Beyond that, when Paige is interacting with anyone all I hear is screeching and then whoever she is talking to reacting.

8 hours ago, mlp said:

Another thing that annoys me is all the footage of designers and carpenters doing goofy stuff that wastes time.  We are supposed to believe that they're all working hard because of the time crunch yet they have time to play around with wagons and so on.  So far this season, I think they've had a "comic relief" bit in every show, some more stupid than others.

I think they think we enjoy that. I don't mind some of it, I imagine it helps elevate some of the stress, but it does get stupid. *cough* Hildi and Ty riding bikes across a tarp to make "art"*cough* While that wasn't technically "goofing off" since they were making a crappy piece of art for the room, it was stupid, time consuming, and in Hildi's inappropriate footwear, quite dangerous. IDK, sometimes the show seems like it's for children, between the silly antics and Paige's OTT children's show presenter personality, I feel like I'm being talked down to half the time.

Not sure how much farther my nostalgia is going to take me with this show.

• Love 4

I'm enjoying the reboot but I'm with those who would prefer less Paige. I don't mind the perky to a degree but what I most dislike is I feel like most of her segments are (a) wasting my time; and (b) too scripted. I would prefer if we actually saw unstaged footage of her helping or reacting. But often we get a bunch of "I'm really concerned about timing!" "what about the budget?" and it all seems fake to me. To be fair--I've been rewatching old shows so my impression includes interactions on those.

• Love 5

Yes, that's it, she does seem too scripted. I do think the show should drop the fake concern about timing and budget. It adds nothing and makes her seem silly.

I don't mind her at all in the rare candid moments, like when something obviously a mistake happens and she laughs and has a genuine reaction. In those rare moments she can be fairly charming. But when she's playing nervous nelly about things she goes a bit too far to the extreme caricature of a perky host.  

• Love 6
14 hours ago, DebbieM4 said:

Yes, I know.  I just find it jarring when she constantly pops in and the focus shifts to her in ways that (IMO) seem silly.  I work in television, so I understand that this is not Paige running wild and free, deciding what to do and say all on her own.  I'm a pretty perky, friendly person, and I can usually tolerate that type (or find humor in it), but she annoys me for some reason.  Clearly, I'm in the minority among viewers.  I think she's fine for the role, but too much of her makes me want to change the channel.  I need her in small doses.  :-)

...  I thought she did a really good job of trying not to break down and/or say anything negative.  I thought the room was okay, but I didn't like that huge monstrosity that dominated it, and sliding the doors, etc. seemed like a real pain.   She also was likely upset because she didn't see the piece of furniture she wanted to keep, having no idea of course that it had been hidden.  I think they said it "wasn't them", and sometimes that happens.  Not everyone likes everything, and I thought their reaction was genuine but certainly not unkind or bratty.  She likely couldn't picture her family there, and thought the less said the better.  She never said she didn't like it until directly asked, and even then she seemed reluctant to admit that she didn't, as though she was making every effort to be polite.   I felt a little sorry for them that they were disappointed, but I thought they handled it well, so I'm not inclined to criticize them at all.

I hear you on Paige. She definitely rubs me the wrong way frequently, and I would like to tell her to have a glass of wine or half a sedative or something. But in the end she feels like an old friend that bugs me at times but is part of the experience. :)

Regarding the homeowner, you're right, she seemed to be trying to keep negative comments to a minimum. But sometimes the effect of saying little even more dramatic than if you said, "I really don't like it; it doesn't suit my family's needs or my aesthetic." Easy for me to say from here, I know.

I rewatched crying Pam recently. (Another husband, BTW, who seemed to be reserving his opinion until he found out how his wife was going to react.) On the rewatch, I felt Pam was another one who seemed to be trying to keep it together and to express dismay without being mean, but the effect was even more dramatic than if she had just said, "I don't like it and I'm mad that they covered up my fireplace."

• Love 1
5 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I'm enjoying the reboot but I'm with those who would prefer less Paige. I don't mind the perky to a degree but what I most dislike is I feel like most of her segments are (a) wasting my time; and (b) too scripted.

I have no idea why, but somehow I had really expected to see that Paige had matured/aged/whatever, especially with the more adult hairdo, and would be more edgy and less perky.  Silly me.

And for all the foo-foo-fussing about the budget, what would happen if a designer said, too bad, I'm not taking anything out or giving anything back?  Do the producers send Paige to go in and rip something off the walls?

3 hours ago, lovinbob said:

I rewatched crying Pam recently.

Two things did in crying Pam and made her an icon, methinks:  of course, they left her mic on after she left the room, but also that she had been pretty damn bitchy during the entire episode.  If she had been a sweetheart, her reaction would probably have been much more likely to be forgiven.  Doug didn't actually destroy her fireplace; she should have been glad she didn't get Hildi.

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Two things did in crying Pam and made her an icon, methinks:  of course, they left her mic on after she left the room, but also that she had been pretty damn bitchy during the entire episode.  If she had been a sweetheart, her reaction would probably have been much more likely to be forgiven.  Doug didn't actually destroy her fireplace; she should have been glad she didn't get Hildi.

The thing with Crying Pam was Paige clearly tells her they just covered it up/they did not actually touch your fire place. And she seems to hear that --but that doesn't seem to matter. If she had responded "oh thank goodness; not sure I love the whole look but ok", it would have been taken differently (and no running off and crying)

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

And for all the foo-foo-fussing about the budget, what would happen if a designer said, too bad, I'm not taking anything out or giving anything back?  Do the producers send Paige to go in and rip something off the walls?

It's not clear what happens when they go over budget, even without it being a situation where a designer refuses to cooperate.  Designers have said Paige will tell them how far over they are and have them remove stuff until what's left in the room is within budget, and we've seen that (on old episodes, plus in this revival, with Genevieve).  But we've also seen episodes where the designers had to pay out of pocket their overage (it went into their "party fund," according to Paige). 

Just letting them go over and pay for it doesn't seem like a good option, so hopefully they've done away with that and designers do always have to take stuff out of the room if they go over budget.  A Paige/Designer showdown where the designer insisted nothing could be removed and they would just pay the overage and Paige marched in and started grabbing pillows and vases would be pretty funny.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

The thing with Crying Pam was Paige clearly tells her they just covered it up/they did not actually touch your fire place. And she seems to hear that --but that doesn't seem to matter. If she had responded "oh thank goodness; not sure I love the whole look but ok", it would have been taken differently (and no running off and crying)

It also didn’t endear her to the public when she told Paige that ‘you guys are going to fix it before you leave.’  Made it seem like she either didn’t understand how the show worked or that she felt entitled to special treatment because she was unhappy.

• Love 7
19 hours ago, Bastet said:

It's not clear what happens when they go over budget, even without it being a situation where a designer refuses to cooperate.  Designers have said Paige will tell them how far over they are and have them remove stuff until what's left in the room is within budget, and we've seen that (on old episodes, plus in this revival, with Genevieve).  But we've also seen episodes where the designers had to pay out of pocket their overage (it went into their "party fund," according to Paige). 

Just letting them go over and pay for it doesn't seem like a good option, so hopefully they've done away with that and designers do always have to take stuff out of the room if they go over budget.  A Paige/Designer showdown where the designer insisted nothing could be removed and they would just pay the overage and Paige marched in and started grabbing pillows and vases would be pretty funny.

Apropos of nothing but I always wondered how long it took the crew to get an adequate party fund if they only used the times designers went over and what kind of parties they had ;)

• Love 1
7 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Apropos of nothing but I always wondered how long it took the crew to get an adequate party fund if they only used the times designers went over and what kind of parties they had ;)

They probably have two days and two hundred bucks for two of the crew to design the perfect party. I just hope for their sake there isn't a Hildi on the crew. Can you imagine the evil clown nightmare party she would come up with?

• Love 3
On 5/15/2018 at 9:38 AM, Mabinogia said:

But I agree that these designers don't really think about the fact people have to live in these spaces once they leave. Even if they left the barn doors up there is about a 98% chance they would never shut them. They'd just be open all the time because it's just going to get annoying opening and closing them every time you want to watch TV or go into the other room.

Part 1 - I have central air too and still love a ceiling fan.  You don't want air all summer, it's not healthy.  Nothing like a cool evening, windows open and the fan on.

Part 2 - Ok, I have anxieties and one of them is fire.  If the fireplace is lit you really can't go into the other room.  After a fire I would not feel comfortable closing the doors.  It makes no sense!

I loved the woman crying.  I would cry too.  Years ago I would tell my family that if the show came to town to batten down the hatches.  They have done so many mistakes and horrors.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

They probably have two days and two hundred bucks for two of the crew to design the perfect party. I just hope for their sake there isn't a Hildi on the crew. Can you imagine the evil clown nightmare party she would come up with?

Bwah! Let's just say that Frank and Hildi are probably happiest at different styles of parties, yes? I can just imagine Hildi trying to create a posh party like I'm sure she has in France. 

• Love 1
On 5/18/2018 at 1:17 AM, mlp said:

I agree with you about all of this  I certainly don't want this show to be overly serious (I likely wouldn't watch if it was), but it's often pretty heavy-handed with the silliness and goofiness.   I would far prefer a little balance.

And yes, Paige often makes me cringe too.  She's just too much too much of the time.

• Love 2
On 5/18/2018 at 4:22 PM, meowmommy said:

I have no idea why, but somehow I had really expected to see that Paige had matured/aged/whatever, especially with the more adult hairdo, and would be more edgy and less perky.  Silly me.

My 10-year-old niece has that same "pageboy" haircut.

The dining room was spectacular. I want it. I understand why the living room couple was unhappy, and kudos for them trying to hold it together and not be jerks about it. But it was a terrible room for them. It didn't need to be a wacky play room, but those sliding doors were clearly unwieldy, as even Paige struggled to open them, and it made the room excessively small. Forget the optical illusion it creates, there was no room in there.  Paige basically had to move furniture to get to the TV. It's just not functional or realistic for living, with or without kids. I would love to see that room in a furniture store, but I would hate that in my house.

As for Paige, the show doesn't work without her. They tried it. It sucked. But can we talk about her new "style" for a second? Tight zippered shirts and baggy skater jeans? What is happening?

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, sarthaz said:

but those sliding doors were clearly unwieldy, as even Paige struggled to open them, and it made the room excessively small. Forget the optical illusion it creates,

It did give us that great moment of Paige trying to say how great and easy they were, then proceeding to maneuver her way through the cluttered room to get to the unwieldy doors. lol

43 minutes ago, sarthaz said:

As for Paige, the show doesn't work without her. They tried it. It sucked.

The show can't work without a host, I just don't think that host has to be Paige, or rather, aspects of Paige. Sometimes she's fine, and I do think she cares about the homeowners as much as she is contractually obligated to. I just think she has a tendency to take over a room and a good host should be an accessory to what is going on, not the main attraction. As to her style, I never really thought she had any, not then, not now, but I do like the new haircut. I know many don't, but I think it looks good on her.

• Love 2

I agree you need Paige but that less Paige at times would be best, along with less-scripted Paige. I've always enjoyed when she is in a room and has an honest reaction to a designer's idea. That appears unscripted and she serves a bit as the voice of the audience. But the over the top "what about budget! what about time!!" pieces that seem fake are too much and I'd much rather see footage of how the room is being put together.

• Love 3
On 5/22/2018 at 2:50 PM, sarthaz said:

As for Paige, the show doesn't work without her. They tried it. It sucked. But can we talk about her new "style" for a second? Tight zippered shirts and baggy skater jeans? What is happening?

I've been wondering about this myself. So those are skater jeans? I couldn't figure out what she was wearing, but they're not attractive on her. They make her legs look stubby.