Type keyword(s) to search

Bill & Ted Face the Music (2020)

benteen
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I do want to see this movie but, I doubt theaters will open in NJ and, if they do I don't know if I'd even go. 

This looks really good. I like the actresses playing the daughters, they seem to have Bill & Ted (Alex and Keanu) down.

Please tell me Death is "practicing" kid games in case someone else challenges him. You just know he's still pissed Bill & Ted beat at Battleship, Clue, Table Hockey and Twister 😃🤣 

ETA: Forgot about Ted's Dad. IMDb says Missy is in the movie. I actually love that she's back.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

ETA: Forgot about Ted's Dad. IMDb says Missy is in the movie. I actually love that she's back.

Me too. Although I'm wondering if it's still so delightfully awkward when they are adults themselves.

15 hours ago, Orbert said:

Missy?

Oh, you mean "Mom".  😉

😁

15 hours ago, supposebly said:

Me too. Although I'm wondering if it's still so delightfully awkward when they are adults themselves.

I'm wondering who she's married to now

(edited)

While I would have liked to have seen Bill & Ted in the movies, the option of putting the film On Demand is the correct one and after seeing the new trailer, I'm looking forward to it even more.

I'm not familiar with the actress playing Ted's daughter but the actress playing Bill's daughter is Samara Weaving (niece of Hugo).  I've seen her in The Babysitter, a surprisingly entertaining film and in a supporting role in Hollywood.  She's a really good actress and will be a terrific addition to this film.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Shame we would not have it in theaters, but better safe than sorry. Who knows? Probably it'll garner another one in the near future in theaters. 

It is going to be in any theaters that are open and willing to play it in addition to VOD.  I know the theaters are not going to be happy losing exclusivity but this seems like the best strategy  given the current situation. 

I must say, I was a little disappointed in the film. I think I can't expect too much, but at least it was fun to see Death, though his screen time seem incredibly short. I mean, it is so hard to cram an hour and 31 minutes. Too much time on the robot and daughters for me. 

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

I must say, I was a little disappointed in the film. I think I can't expect too much, but at least it was fun to see Death, though his screen time seem incredibly short. I mean, it is so hard to cram an hour and 31 minutes. Too much time on the robot and daughters for me. 

Hmm, I haven't seen it yet, but if they're spending a lot of time on the daughters, I wonder if they're setting up to continue the series making the daughters the leads.

6 hours ago, GaT said:

Hmm, I haven't seen it yet, but if they're spending a lot of time on the daughters, I wonder if they're setting up to continue the series making the daughters the leads.

It's not bad, but could have been much better. Seemed to be heavily edited at times.

Consistently amiable and modest, which doubles as a description of the entire franchise. The Bill and Ted movies were always about a vibe more than anything else. All the returning castmembers slip naturally back into their roles almost thirty years later, while the newcomers fit in like they were there all along. Weaving and Lundy-Paine as the daughters do good jobs of building off their dads' characterizations without seeming just like sketch comedy impressions (particularly Lundy-Paine). Winter, who doesn't act much anymore, definitely carries more of the movie. 

This isn't the sort of film built for deep analysis, but one thought I did have while watching it that is more about the culture than the movie itself: it says something about the way we think about music history that when the girls go to gather history's greatest musicians all the men are real people (Jimmie Hendrix, Louis Armstrong, Mozart) and the women are fictional characters (or in one case, a gender-flipped mythical Chinese flautist).

• Love 2

This was the movie we needed this year. It was just as much fun as the other movies and that's all I wanted. Keanu and Alex still have it!

Now Missy is married to Ted's little brother?! She sure gets around...

Loved the George Carlin tribute.

Someone on the internet bitched about giving them daughters instead of suns. Those assholes can suck it, Billie and Thea were great.

LOL at the Future Bill and Teds.

Death!!! Enough said.

That ending was great. Truly a song to unite the universe, and the fact that all the timelines all came together like that made me both happy and sad because...well, you know. 

Also great that the filmmakers used the fan videos at the end.

Overall, a most excellent adventure.

• Love 1

Watched the movie on Friday and very much enjoyed it.  It's nice to see that Bill and Ted remain the same dumb but lovable and optimistic characters they've always been.  No 21st century jadedness there.  They both slipped back into the role, with Alex Winter (who was also a producer on this film) seeming like he never left.

After watching more than my share of unlikeable kids on various TV shows (Power and Ozark come to mind), Billie and Thea are a breath of fresh air.  Not only are like likeable but they actually get along with their fathers.  The "Little Bill and Little Ted" retcon was clever.   Brigitte Lundy-Paine does a but if I had any complaint about the two, I wish they had given them more of a personality separate from their dads.  Enjoyed their trips through time and of course hell.

Great seeing William Sadler back as Death and I was amused that Death's fallout with the band came as a result of lawsuits.  Nice to see some familiar faces as well like Ted's dad and the various new actors/characters/historical figures add to the fun.

I didn't particularly like the retcon of Bill and Ted not coming up with the song that save the universe (LOL that they didn't even bother with lyrics for it) but then again, a lot of singers don't write their own material and they were still needed to finish things off.

Very fun movie and it's very easy to slip back into the Bill and Ted world.  What I find fascinating too is that even though Old Bill and Ted are technically villains, this franchise has never been a villain-based one.  It's about Bill and Ted stumbling across time in a fun and ludicrous way.

• Love 3

I watched it today, and enjoyed it.  I liked both of the first two, and I liked how the second movie got a little crazier than the first, but in the same spirit.  And here, they went another degree with it.  This is not exactly Oscar material, and it was never meant to be.  Just crazy, silly fun.  I don't know if it was as good as the first two, but it was comparable.

The reconciliation with Death was surprisingly touching.  Bill and Ted's "reunions" with their older selves over the years was strangely touching as well, even as I was laughing out loud.  Bill came up with some deep stuff about how we regard our future and past selves, and his observation on how Ted had more trouble getting along with his older selves than he (Bill) did was interesting.

It seemed like the "theme" that Bill and Ted literally could not think of themselves in the singular, but always as the two of them, should have either been developed a bit more, or had more payoff, or something.  The couples therapy angle felt like one subplot too many to cram into the relatively short runtime, but it was too important to drop.  On the other hand, they were together in every scene, as were the girls.  But it seemed like there was supposed to be more of a message there.

• Love 3
On 8/29/2020 at 6:47 PM, Spartan Girl said:

That ending was great. Truly a song to unite the universe, and the fact that all the timelines all came together like that made me both happy and sad because...well, you know. 

Also great that the filmmakers used the fan videos at the end.

On 9/2/2020 at 10:35 AM, benteen said:

I didn't particularly like the retcon of Bill and Ted not coming up with the song that save the universe (LOL that they didn't even bother with lyrics for it)

My two cents regarding this..............

First off, yes, I know, this is a "dumb" (by which I mean, a figurative term to describe the "slacker" comedies (like the "Wayne's World" movies as well) which later also became the "stoner" comedies (everything from Seth Rogan movies to "Dude, WMC??" to Lebowski), in which the comedy in said movie is so "stupid" and "simple" that you can't help but laugh) comedy and you just should not over-analyze..........

having said that............

It would have been an "interesting" idea if Bill and Ted did NOT become famous during their lifetime ------

Some individuals did not achieve "greatness" during their lifetime, only to be appreciated years, if not decades, later.

Scott Joplin and his "ragtime" music was not appreciated until decades after his death  (look up Robert Redford's "The Sting")

F. Scott Fitzgerald actually died penniless, believing that his "Great American Novel" was over-rated and worthless.

It would have been REALLY FUNNY if the "song that united the world" in the future..............

was actually the song that they played at the wedding.

• Love 3

So I just got the blu-ray set and watched this one. I went in with low expectations and they were greatly surpassed. While watching commercials, I felt like Keanu seemed stiff and lacked the quintessential Ted-ness, but I didn't get that during the actual movie. They were delightful. The kids were great too and I enjoyed Kid Cudi's role, although the only song of his I know is the one from the Hunger Games soundtrack. I liked how Billie and Thea appreciated the music so much and they didn't feel forced. I wish we had a gotten a little more of them with their moms. I enjoyed their loving speech to Missy, in which they seemed over their former crush. I liked that they eventually realized what they needed to do with telling their wives "I love you." And of course, William Sadler as Death is just delightful. Easily my favorite personification of Death. 

The movie brought me joy. 

• Love 3

I liked it! It's been a heavy week and it was the goofy adventure I wanted. It had to be the daughters who would create the song...when the Great Leader said Preston/Logan wrote it, not Wyld Stallyn, that jumped out at me.

When the phone box was stolen, I was momentarily confused but then with all the Hell stuff starting right after I forgot that thread. Lying in bed later, the penny dropped that it was the wives who stole their phone booth! I noticed they were old when they showed up at therapy to pick up young wives, and even saw them running into the booth when they were saying goodbye to their old selves, but I missed that connection in the moment.

My BF does not share my sense of humor and this is not his kind of film, but even he gave it some chuckles. Many went to Dennis towards the end...don't know why, but he amused me/us.

• Love 1

This was a silly fun movie and I enjoyed it. Billie and Thea were great additions and I loved that they brought Death back. The only issue I had was that they recast the Princesses. I understand if the original actresses maybe didn't want to return but the wives seemed only a few years older then the daughters. I also cracked up at Dave Grohl's cameo.

• Love 1