Type keyword(s) to search

WWDITS: Season One Talk

• Start Topic

(edited)

That was amazing! I was impressed with the Tilda reveal and then they just kept coming.

I’m going to guess Pattinson for the Rob reference. 

I feel a little too twisted that my biggest laugh was the vampire baby showing its fangs.

Edited by crystalball
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 13
15 minutes ago, crystalball said:

I’m going to guess Pattinson for the Rob reference. 

Thank you! That is the one stumping me!  

I saw Vladislav, Deacon, and Viago when they were dancing, but all the other reveals were fantastic.  Paul Reubens was probably my favorite.

• Love 6

This episode was hilarious, I wasn't expecting to see all the guest stars.  I loved seeing all the old vampire characters.

It looked like the trio were hanging out in the sunlight with no problem in the beginning, though.

That dance sequence was bizarre!

• Love 4
(edited)
On 5/8/2019 at 10:20 PM, saoirse said:

OMG. The show is killing me right now!!!!!

I thought I was going to die laughing between the guest stars (Danny effin’ Trejo! Tilda Swinton!), the floating vampire (“How does she do that?”) and Laszlo having turned a baby into a vampire (“Who does that”!). Hysterical! 😂🤣

Edited by LittleIggy
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, CletusMusashi said:

Who played garret or Gareth or whatever? The guy who took the rap for Laszlo's baby prank?

The actor seemed familiar, but I couldn't recognize him through all the prosthesis.

Was that Dave Bautista?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Cactus said:

Thank you! That is the one stumping me!  

I saw Vladislav, Deacon, and Viago when they were dancing, but all the other reveals were fantastic.  Paul Reubens was probably my favorite.

Danny Trejo was my favorite. “Move the laptop closer to the router, homes.”

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, Superclam said:

I'm going to watch it again to see who I missed. 

Me too! That was amazing! I loved seeing the old three. I didn't quite get the Rob line but now I do. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 2

I love, love, love this show.  It's the only show I look forward to right now. 

It's worth watching just for Matt Berry alone. (Anyone who hasn't seen "The IT Crowd" should watch it. It's on Netflix.  He's great in it.  "God DAMN these electric sex pants!")

I love the whole cast.  I like that there is a female vamp.

And all those famous vamps in last night's episode! Awesome.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Laurie M said:

It's worth watching just for Matt Berry alone. (Anyone who hasn't seen "The IT Crowd" should watch it. It's on Netflix.  He's great in it.  "God DAMN these electric sex pants!")

I really look forward to only two shows each week, this and Call the Midwife. I am so thrilled we will be getting another season! And I can't wait to own this one so I can watch it all over again. 

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, Laurie M said:

I actually started watching this show because I'm a huge Matt Berry fan. Yes, everyone should check him out on The IT Crowd, as well as Garth Merenghi's Dark Place, and Snuff Box (haven't seen Toast of London, but hope to someday). His music is also pretty good. 

But yes, the whole cast is great. Loved all the vampires last night. 

• Love 3

O.M.G. Just when I think this show can't possibly get any better and this comes along. I wonder what kind of clout this show has to get big name guest stars like Tilda Swinton and Evan Rachel Woods. I died. I DIED. I mean, it would have been enough just seeing the Viago, Vladislav and Deacon from the movie, but all those guest stars. Danny Freaking Trejo? Wesley Snipes? Paul Reubens? How did this show pull that off? And every last one of them were hysterical. 

And here I was worried the joke would wear thin after a few episodes. Somehow it's just getting stronger and funnier as it goes along.

Kristin Schall was good too, I loved the gliding effect and Nadja's bewilderment how she kept appearing. 

• Love 9

Oh my god, I died and was resurrected as a vampire, died, and came back again several times over! That was amazing! Every second of it should go down in history of vampire meeting as one of the greatest vampire cross overs of all time! 

I mean, Tilda! Rachel (its Evans!)! Danny! Paul! Wesley skyping in (I will only listen to half of his opinions)! Vladislav, Deacon, and Viago! Dave Bautista! I need to watch that whole sequence over and over just to make sure I got all of the references and the cameos. 

"We sent 500 ravens!" "We have a phone..."

The dance sequence might have been the highlight though, especially with Lazlo being like "what the hell?" in the background. Or the baby vampire raising its fangs during the counsel meeting. Or the camera crew being stuck in the hole. Or...

This show makes me so happy, I look forward to it every week. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 14

I didn't get until right now that all the actors played vampires in the past  and were vampires in "real-Life" just being themselves. Just brilliant!! I even missed that it was the original 3 as the three with hoods. I love this show so much, so glad it got a second season.

• Love 1

I didn't get until right now that all the actors played vampires in the past  and were vampires in "real-Life" just being themselves. 

I didn't either at first. I've never seen whatever movie Tilda Swinton played a vampire in (never heard of it either). I just figured, well, of COURSE Tilda Swinton is a vampire, it explains why she is so pale. But as the scene went on, I started to put 2 and 2 together. I think Evan Rachel Wood was the one that finally tipped me off. Unfortunately, the name-dropping of who didn't show up went right over my head because I hadn't picked up on the joke yet.

That's what 2nd watches are for!

• Love 3

One thing I thought was cool was the way they were styled appropriately and in character for “their” vampire. For example ERW was totally doing “Queen Sophie Anne” down to the hairstyle and sneering. Paul Reubens was in his BTVS movie getup, etc. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Great episode chock full of veteran vampires. Should we quibble as to how the original WWDITS gang made the trip from New Zealand to New York so quickly? I don't think we should. Thinking about it, they probably flew in to Newark. Much closer to Staten Island.

16 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

You'd think that might underscore to him how wanting to become one of them might not be such a good idea.

Maybe Nandor and the others have been decent vampires up until the series started. Then came the massive fuckups. Run, Guillermo!!!

Turning a baby into a vampire is a real dick move. Shame on you, Laszlo.

Looking at TVTropes' Crowning Moment of Funny, and I found this quote.

Doug: I will rip your head from your body. And I will hang your entrails from the traffic light on Hylan Boulevard so our new masters will see that only those who submit will survive!

I missed that bit. Hylan is basically a major vein on Staten Island. Fourteen miles long. That's the route that the express bus takes me to and from work.

• Love 5

I've not overly invested in this show, but "The Trial" deserves mad respect for all of those vampire guest stars. Mr. Roarke on Fantasy Island would have turned green with envy. That most of them played a vampire in another movie was even better. And these weren't all D-list celebrities either.

For me, it started with wondering if that was actually Dave Bautista. Then when I recognized Tilda Swinton, I was surprised they were able to get two Marvel stars so close to Endgame. So I was thrilled to see they even included a mid-credits scene as homage to the MCU movies. The name dropping of all the other vampires was equally hilarious.

Bravo, show! Bravo!!!

Thanks also for the article links that helped explain the rest of this casting coup.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Did anyone else notice that the Baron’s eyes lit up red when Laszlo gave his corpse a last drink of blood? 🤔

Yes, I saw that. I think we may not have seen the last of him. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I didn't either at first. I've never seen whatever movie Tilda Swinton played a vampire in (never heard of it either). I just figured, well, of COURSE Tilda Swinton is a vampire, it explains why she is so pale. But as the scene went on, I started to put 2 and 2 together. I think Evan Rachel Wood was the one that finally tipped me off. Unfortunately, the name-dropping of who didn't show up went right over my head because I hadn't picked up on the joke yet.

That's what 2nd watches are for!

Only Lovers Left Alive, the Jim Jarmusch film that Tilda played a vampire in, is a fabulous movie. I just really wanted a long-haired Tom Hiddleston to show up.

This episode was honestly just...everything. It seemed like a season finale, it was so chock full of guest appearances and Easter eggs and inside jokes. I realized it was the original threesome from the film before Tilda even showed up, and then Pee Wee and Evan and it just got better and better.

I also loved that it was mentioned in the article about casting that they approached Cate Blanchett about appearing but then realized she's never actually played a vampire, cuz how has she not??

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 5/2/2019 at 12:54 PM, Orbert said:

Another fun episode.  I always think it's unfortunate when the network decides to air episodes out of production order.  Someone with more power than brains thinks they know better how to present someone else's work, and they're often wrong. 

You could be right about who made the decision, but I don't think we should foreclose the possibility that the creative team was in on it. I find it very easy to imagine that they shot the season, looked at what they had, and came to feel that a different running order made for a stronger start, stronger word-of-mouth, better variety, whatever. (And that these benefits outweighed mere continuity for continuity's sake.)

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Laurie M said:

Agree on everything you said up until last sentence.  I love this show so much and Matt Berry is my favorite!

That said, I have to say that other than a few laughs (Guillermo and Colin, mainly) I thought this was but far weakest episode so far.  It felt oddly self-aggrandizing with stunt casting turned up to 11.  I was really disappointed because I knew that there was going to be "very special" guest stars and hoped for something much better than the highschool drama level acting and paper thin plot that was only there to shoehorn in as many friends as possible. 

Hope they're over the back-patting and back to the show I love next week.

23 hours ago, Laurie M said:

THANK YOU! I knew he looked familiar; I just couldn’t place him.

3 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

You could be right about who made the decision, but I don't think we should foreclose the possibility that the creative team was in on it. I find it very easy to imagine that they shot the season, looked at what they had, and came to feel that a different running order made for a stronger start, stronger word-of-mouth, better variety, whatever. (And that these benefits outweighed mere continuity for continuity's sake.)

Good point.

On 5/9/2019 at 11:43 AM, Laurie M said:

I got the guys mixed up; I thought you meant Colin, whom I remembered from Dream Corp LLC (hit-or-miss surreal comedy on Adult Swim). Then I looked up the name. “Oooooohhhh . . . the one male actor on the ‘show’ who could actually act! Or was a professional actor!” I haven’t seen Darkplace in years, but I felt dumb not recognizing that voice.

I’m grateful we haven’t gotten “Staten Island Guido Vampires.” The references suffice for me, like Hylan Boulevard. If they cover the Staten Island Zoo, they’d have to clear the bar from the two goofy bit on that from SNL.

• Love 1

Did anyone else notice that the Baron’s eyes lit up red when Laszlo gave his corpse a last drink of blood?

I did but then forgot about it. For a second I thought maybe he was coming back to life. It does make sense; they're not off the hook yet for his murder, they just sort of escaped for the moment. 

• Love 2
On 5/9/2019 at 10:06 AM, tennisgurl said:

"We sent 500 ravens!" "We have a phone..."

The dance sequence might have been the highlight though, especially with Lazlo being like "what the hell?" in the background. Or the baby vampire raising its fangs during the counsel meeting. Or the camera crew being stuck in the hole. Or...

This show makes me so happy, I look forward to it every week. 

The baby vampire killed me!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 5/9/2019 at 12:32 PM, iMonrey said:

And here I was worried the joke would wear thin after a few episodes. Somehow it's just getting stronger and funnier as it goes along.

I love this show so much because of how much it makes me laugh! I crack up at every single hiss.

I could not believe my eyes when I saw Tilda. I did not figure out that the the guest stars had all played vampires (besides Evan Rachel Wood). Have not seen the original movie but hope to do so.

I really want to watch all the episodes again and am thrilled it was renewed for a second season!

• Love 2
On 5/9/2019 at 9:43 AM, libgirl2 said:

I recognized Dave Bautista once he started talking about stabbing 500 times because he played it exactly like Drax.

ITA. That was SO Drax.  I will stab him 5000 times and then switch hands.... I didn't catch the fact that he got blamed for the baby til my 2nd viewing.  And then the baby is there at the Council. 

I watched Shadows Thursday morning and then saw Endgame so I was in MCU/Shadows overload. 

I was kind of hoping they'd get Angel or Spike, but I guess they were going for movie vampires.

I read that Brad was down to do it, I would fucking die if he shows up next season.   

Does anyone know who the blonde was sitting with Dave? It's driving me crazy.  I tried to read the credits but FX shrinks them down so much you can't make them out. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

ITA. That was SO Drax.  I will stab him 5000 times and then switch hands.... I didn't catch the fact that he got blamed for the baby til my 2nd viewing.  And then the baby is there at the Council. 

I watched Shadows Thursday morning and then saw Endgame so I was in MCU/Shadows overload. 

I was kind of hoping they'd get Angel or Spike, but I guess they were going for movie vampires.

I read that Brad was down to do it, I would fucking die if he shows up next season.   

Does anyone know who the blonde was sitting with Dave? It's driving me crazy.  I tried to read the credits but FX shrinks them down so much you can't make them out. 

I'd love it if he showed up! 

• Love 1
(edited)

I tried to read the credits but FX shrinks them down so much you can't make them out

As credits are usually impossible to read, I've learned to rely on IMDB for checking them out.

Edited by sagittarius sue
  • Love 1

Just wanted to pop in and say I've only recently started watching this and am pleasantly surprised with how funny it is. Normally, I'm not a fan of mockumentaries, but I'm really enjoying this one.

I echo the sentiments about Nadja. Her looks and timing are superb. However, the entire cast is excellent. I think the casting was spot on.

• Love 3
On 5/8/2019 at 10:48 PM, Bruinsfan said:

I kind of wish all the others had been given fictional names—not those of their vampire roles due to legal issues, I'm sure—and Tilda had just played herself.

I was happy with how they did it, but I get you--I too was feeling that the joke was, "OMG, real-life Tilda Swinton is a vampire!," and was ever so mildly disappointed when that wasn't the joke.

Or was it?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:
On 5/8/2019 at 11:48 PM, Bruinsfan said:

I kind of wish all the others had been given fictional names—not those of their vampire roles due to legal issues, I'm sure—and Tilda had just played herself.

I was happy with how they did it, but I get you--I too was feeling that the joke was, "OMG, real-life Tilda Swinton is a vampire!," and was ever so mildly disappointed when that wasn't the joke.

Or was it?

They would have had to get permission and pay a fee to use the characters' names from the writer and the production company, it was probably too labor intensive and expensive, since there were what, five or six vampires? Tilda, Paul, Wesley, Danny, Evan.  

So I think they just went with the joke that they actually were vampires. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1