Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: Insane in the Germ Brain

Up until this episode I don't think Isobel was annoying, except that we knew she was going to die suddenly and expectedly, and it would be sad. Of course we withdraw and try to hate the character. Stupid puppy pissed on the carpet again. The fake your own death thing was annoying but it made sense to me. 

That reminds me, another terrible choice on the part of the writers. I didn't find Isobel annoying until she kept faking her death. And since they knew she was about to die, it was a terrible choice to give her an annoying behavior to undercut the emotion of that final scene. Maybe they wanted to avoid sentimentality but that wasn't the right way to do it.

I find it interesting as someone who isn't American that pre-911 representations of powerful men were wiry and cerebral but post-911 with the rise of a new type of aggressive masculinity, men are now portrayed as extremely large and muscular. It's to do with the militarisation of society generally.

I think it has more to do with superhero movies and fitness culture.

18 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I think it has more to do with superhero movies and fitness culture.

I would in fact that the rise in popularity of the superhero genre is a symptom, not a cause. The rise of militarisation and aggressive masculinity has led to a rise in narratives of good/evil, with evil being defeated by powerful men aided by sexy women. It's part of the same toxic cultural phenomena.

I would in fact that the rise in popularity of the superhero genre is a symptom, not a cause. The rise of militarisation and aggressive masculinity has led to a rise in narratives of good/evil, with evil being defeated by powerful men aided by sexy women. It's part of the same toxic cultural phenomena.

I would point you to noir, Westerns, 70's crime/gangster movies, etc. The militarization, aggression, lack of nuance, and sexualized women aren't new. Thus, the emphasis on this body type had to come from somewhere else. 9/11 is too late to be the root cause. Terminator came out in the 80's. The bodybuilder body type began to infect comics especially in the 90's. Then when people who had grown up with those comics began adapting those stories for the big screen we started to see it move into the media until it became the predominant ideal body type even outside of superhero movies. Which then creates a feedback loop into fitness culture and societal norms.