Type keyword(s) to search

S43.E20: Amy Schumer / Kacey Musgraves

• Start Topic

(edited)

Why would Schumer think that was funny?  Any talentless baffoon can be an asshole for two minutes.  She's got plenty of talent, which sorta makes it worse.

Edited by JZL
  • Love 1

The promos can be hit-and-miss, and that one was probably a miss, but what kind of startled me was the, to my mind, way, way, way excessive level of vitriol towards Amy in the comments sections of the two SNL promos that the SNL YouTube channel posted (way out of proportion to any other host this season).  I mean, every host generally has some baggage, but the hate is insane—around 75% calling her a joke thief, around 15% are trashing her for being excessively vulgar, and the rest are a hateful potpourri  about her weight, her politics and her ethnic heritage.  Yikes.  I hope it goes well for her tonight.

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, JZL said:

Why would Schumer think that was funny?

I'm not clear on how much input any guest has with the promos. I mean, she could say no it was something beyond the pale, but I  kinda doubt she wrote it. I guess my point is who knows if it was her idea?

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I'm not clear on how much input any guest has with the promos. I mean, she could say no it was something beyond the pale, but I  kinda doubt she wrote it. I guess my point is who knows if it was her idea?

Kristen Wiig probably wrote it. [evil laugh]

• Love 2
(edited)

Cold Open: Mother's Day message with all the castmember's moms! That was sweet (and yeah, love that all the moms are sick of the political stuff). "Why are there so many talk shows and game shows? Why don't they bring back Wayne's World?" Beck's mom asking the REAL questions.

Monologue: Amy Schumer's done really well for herself, still happy to see her come so far. It was an okay monologue.

Mother Knows Best: Heh, first sketch is a game show. Of course Mikey and Kate's mother/son was the best pair by far. I need to know who came up with "Ebisaleth."

Alone. Alone. Aloooooone. Also Lyme Disease.

Handmaids in The City: "More uplifting than the news." Now this is a kind of mashup that we don't see from this show enough. This had to have been Amy's idea.

The Day You Were Born: "The day you were born was the best day of my life!" (Smash cut to what actually happened) Ha. Very Monty Python's Meaning of Life vibes to it, loved it.

Gospel Brunch: Loved everything about this, but the sketch also kind of stumbled? Lots of flubs, and the whole vibe didn't feel right, you know what I mean? "I'm an atheist," and immedtely kicked off a la Showtime At The Apollo is one of my favorite things, as is sticking an entire thing like a pecan pie into a blender to turn into a smoothie (wait, was the blender supposed to work?). "If it's through a straw, it's healthy." It reminded me of Randy & Mandy from All That, but instead of chocolate, it's the most fatty food ever, plus Jesus.

WU: Michael Cohen - if the word "Durr" became a person. Totally nailed it. Of course Heidi's film critic character would love Thanos. "I'm sorry I don't like salads." And Melissa McCarthy swoops in to save the day! Yep, I immediately love this "Michael Che's Step-mom" character. I wonder if she was originally Colin's step-mom, but everyone realized it was funnier if it was Che's?

Wake Up Denver: I am already loving the concept of "Lil Rent," where all the references to HIV/AIDS are replaced by Diabetes and no other changes. "Diabetes positive" is such a great, dark concept.

Last Call: Good to see this sketch again, and a girl/girl version, finally. "I'm not welcome at any beach." Kenan reacting to things is always a surefire way to build a sketch, and he delivered in spades. Kenan spritzing hand sanitizer in his eyes is gonna become one of those GIFs that'll be seen everywhere and I'll be here for it.

James Madison High School Graduation: "BITTER, MUCH?" This was very reminiscent of the Hometown Christmas Eve Mass sketch, and they totally nailed how awful graduations are.

"Boy or girl? IT'S A DAB!" killed me.

This was pretty decent. Next week is the season finale with Tina Fey, that'll be a good one.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 10
(edited)

The only thing I could think of for the last half of the show was that Amy Schumer must be so thrilled that Melissa McCarthy came on and slayed her episode. Melissa was the best thing about the show. At least until the Last Call sketch, which was freaking awesome.  Thinking back to her first turn as Spicey, Melissa knows how to steal an episode.

Speaking of Last Call,  I was so happy for Kate that she got to do it with another woman.  

Otherwise the show started super slow for me. Yeah, it was fun to see all the moms, but it really wasn't much of a sketch. And the tone of " we are so sorry we are mean to Trump" kinda annoyed me. But whatever.  I was happy to finally get some political jokes with Update.

It took awhile for me to get into the monologue, but it was fine. That's how I feel about the whole thing. It was fine with a few stand outs. Liked a lot of the concepts like Handmaids in the CIty, but I thought they could have went further with them. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 7
15 minutes ago, vb68 said:

The only thing I could think of for the last half of the show was that Amy Schumer must be so thrilled that Melissa McCarthy came on and slayed her episode. Melissa was the best thing about the show. At least until the Last Call sketch, which was freaking awesome.  Thinking back to her first turn as Spicey, Melissa knows how to steal an episode.

Speaking of Last Call,  I was so happy for Kate that she got to do it with another woman.  

Otherwise the show started super slow for me. Yeah, it was fun to see all the moms, but it really wasn't much of a sketch. And the tone of " we are so sorry we are mean to Trump" kinda annoyed me. But whatever.  I was happy to finally get some political jokes with Update.

It took awhile for me to get into the monologue, but it was fine. That's how I feel about the whole thing. It was fine with a few stand outs. Liked a lot of the concepts like Handmaids in the CIty, but I thought they could have went further with them. 

This pretty much sums up the way I feel about the show.  It was fine, good stuff, not-so-good stuff, until Last Call, which was great.  I even like Kacey Musgraves, but thought she was kinda boring.  Everything was juuuust a little off tonight (except Last Call).

• Love 4

It seemed like there wasn't a lot of energy to the show. Maybe everyone's just ready for the season to be over, although it seems like they've had enough breaks this spring that that shouldn't be the case. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I enjoyed the cold open, but noticed not all the moms appeared. I noticed Kate, Cecily, Heidi, Che, and Leslie didn't participate. Did Aidy? Now I can't remember.

I was fine with the monologue. I think Schumer is hit or miss and I never know which way I'll react to her. I can't really give a shit about the bridesmaid, fertility, and "woe is me I'm fat" stuff, and I kind of thought it would be off brand for her. But I guess she's taking a new for her but actually kind of throwback, less original, more stereotypical direction.

I hated the incest jokes in "Mother Knows Best" and honestly can't imagine why anyone thought that was funny. The sketch had potential otherwise, but for some reason this show keeps coming up with gross kissing and incest jokes. They kill the "kissing family" and compulsively replace it with somethng a thousand times worse. Shudder.

Loved Handmaids in the City. If you're not traumatized, you're not watching tv! More uplifting than the news!

The Day You Were Born was great.

I liked Gospel Brunch ok. I think the problem with the blender is that Amy didn't have the lid on all the way. Those things are often designed to not turn on if the lid is not properly secured. Or maybe they just didn't want the noise of an active blender. I have to admit that pecan pie, banana, vanilla smoothee sounds delicious, but I'd rather chew it than drink it. And who knows why they keep having new cases of diabetes?

I liked WU except I think Heidi doing yet another identical character is played out and even if she does it perfectly, I"m over it. I loved Melissa as Che's step mom at first, but it went on too long.

Lil Rent/Diabetes edition... heh. Who was the kid actor? It seems unfair that when they bring on kids, they don't really give them credits, not even in the good-byes when they thank the surprise guests. If you're gonna keep them up late, you should at least give their careers a name recognition boost.

I like Last Call for the euphemisms, but I'm sick of the repulsive kisses. I can't imagine being the actor who has to participate. Hand sanitizer in the mouth indeed. It's just too much for me. I'd honestly rather see them grope or hump each other than slobber. I think I may have an issue with stranger saliva. Even friends. I don't want anyone sharing my food either. Ugh.

Graduation was funny to me.

Overall, this week was OK, nothing special but not a total dud.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 1

"Good thing I kept the Ark of the Covenant!!" That (or something along those lines) was inspired.

7 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I enjoyed the cold open, but noticed not all the moms appeared. I noticed Kate, Cecily, Heidi, Che, and Leslie didn't participate. Did Aidy? Now I can't remember.

Aidy opened it. I'm guessing the other mothers may have passed on. Or they couldn't make it out to New York. Probably why NBC aired to Mother's Day episode from 2015 . . . so we can look side-by-side. Biggest surprise: Luke Null's mother realizing she had a son. Sorry . . . I read the AV Club reviews, and the running joke is that Luke does not pop up much, even for a featured player. He could have been the llama and gotten more screen time this season.

18 minutes ago, Machiabelly said:

Anyone else waiting for Ass Dan to show up at the graduation?

That was Under-Underground Records. Same vibe, different approach. Ultersound baby dabbing for the win.

And I like Amy. I hope the marriage works. I met her after she did standup, some time before her series on Comedy Central blew up.

• Love 1

I enjoyed "The Day You Were Born" the most.  "Am I pooping?!" Was that the only sketch Alex Moffat was (barely) in tonight? 

Handmaids in the City was somewhat amusing too. 

WU: "Colin, you also I'm sure have very juicy buns."

• Love 4

I like Melissa McCarthy, but, she's been steadily annoying me little by little the last few years. Oh look Amy and Kate are kissing each other in a super gross way!! It was done to death in the 90's, and hasn't been 'shocking' since. 

• Love 6
(edited)
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

I loved Melissa as Che's step mom at first, but it went on too long.

This is exactly how I felt.  I was actually lol’ing at first, but they needed to have cut at least a minute, maybe more, off of it.  By the end, it was somehow annoying the crap out of me.

Overall, I thought that this was one of the rare shows that got better as it went along. “The day you were born” reminded me of a sketch that would have been on Amy’s Comedy Central show.  It was definitely my favorite sketch of the night.

James Madison High Graduation was pretty funny.  The “Dads with iPads” line cracked me up and was ultra-relatable.  My 15-month old nephew can’t understand what it is to stand still for a picture, and there’s my dad with his iPad at every family function, encouraging my nephew in vain to look at the big honking iPad for the picture.

I’m embarrassed to say that I had absolutely no idea who Kacey Musgraves was.  She actually kind of looked like Cher in the 1970s during her first song.  

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 6
(edited)

Loved seeing the moms.

Uh Amy? We also don’t talk about erectile issues, hemmorroids, a bad wipe and other issues around our private areas. It has nothing to do with what men have told women.

Mother Knows Best... well, ok then.

I don’t know why SNL seizes on Handmaiden’s Tale as a metaphor for women today. It’s a work of fiction, with a niche audience. It’s no more about reality than Westworld. Is that a metaphor for women? Because in that show, the rebelling robot leaders are women, so...

Birth story... OK, that one had some echoes of reality. Except for the gratuitous shot at fathers. Are we detecting a theme?

Cooking show... I didn’t get it. Was this based on something on TV? 

Man, those Echo Spot commercials are sad. Poor old people living alone, staring at the walls with nothing to do.

Never heard of Kacey Musgraves. Seems OK I guess. Though not a big fan of using “giddy up” in a song that isn’t about cowboys. 

WU... a full on Trump orgy. I have to agree with the Moms, it’s a lot. Is nothing else going on in the world? Che nailed Melania though. Skipped the teen critic again. Such an irritating character. Ouch on the Best Buy logo. Laughed out loud at the Moose line. And more Melissa McCarthy is never a bad thing. Especially on Che. 

They really missed an opportunity with Lil Rent to call AIDS cooties. That would have been way funnier. Using diabetes is replacing one serious disease with another. 

These closing time bar skits are always funny. Move my stool? Though in this one it seems weird that that kept making fun of their faces. Loved Alexa. 

Almost missed the graduation skit. That was good for several chuckles. Though they missed the opportunity to play off the real news about students “strolling” across the stage. Also, I have never seen a Dad try to take a picture with an iPad, and I know a lot of dads. 

Edited by Ottis
(edited)

This is exactly how I felt.  I was actually lol’ing at first, but they needed to have cut at least a minute, maybe more, off of it.  By the end, it was somehow annoying the crap out of me.

Yeah I may be in the minority here but I checked out of this about 45 seconds in, and by the end I was practically screaming for it to end. And I like McCarthy fine, it just seemed very one-note.

Really liked Handmaids and the Day You Were Born. And Amy’s standup was pretty good, esp her observation that girls are told when they’re young that boys who “tease” (or hit, or harass) them that the boys like them. 

I’m a big Musgraves fan going back to her first album. This new album is more poppy than country but “Slow Burn” is a nice song that meets country and pop in the middle. And I think she has great presence.

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, vb68 said:

Right??? Hate people assuming that everyone over a "certain age" is a Trump lover (I am NOT!!!!)

I like Melissa McCarthy, and think her Sean Spicer was brilliant; however, I hated her screeching W/U bit from the get-go...didn't laugh once and just wanted her booted off the screen...and take Heidi's character with her.

• Love 13
7 hours ago, ruby24 said:

Wait, so every mom thinks that they're too mean to Trump? WTF? My mom gets pissed that they're not mean enough. I was hoping some of them would be cheering it on, that would have been funnier (and less condescending to older women, frankly).

Yeah, I hated that stereotype of older women.  

• Love 16
7 hours ago, ruby24 said:

Wait, so every mom thinks that they're too mean to Trump? WTF? My mom gets pissed that they're not mean enough. I was hoping some of them would be cheering it on, that would have been funnier (and less condescending to older women, frankly).

That pissed me off too. "Too mean" my ass. I'd say more, but I don't want to get political.

Loved "The Best Day of My Life" and "Handmaids in the City".

• Love 14

I adore Melissa McCarthy. Was thrilled she was on and must of it was pretty funny although I will agree it went on long. But I’d take that a zillion times over the movie reviewer skit. That was awful and unfunny.

i think Amy Schumer is generally funny. So overall I enjoyed this episode. 

I think some might be missing the point in the Opening about the Trump skits. I thought they were making fun of people saying they do too many Trump jokes in general, not really about older women. Idk maybe I perceived it wrong, 

• Love 6
(edited)
47 minutes ago, TiredMe said:

I think some might be missing the point in the Opening about the Trump skits. I thought they were making fun of people saying they do too many Trump jokes in general, not really about older women

I thought it was very defensive with the moms scolding their kids.  My mom will have a fit if she sees it.  I do realize that they usually save the moms for the monologue, but with Amy Schumer hosting, she was always going to do her set.  So the cold open it was.  I thought it would had been funny if Luke Null's mom said she came so that he would finally have some airtime.   

Edited by vb68
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, possibilities said:

I enjoyed the cold open, but noticed not all the moms appeared. I noticed Kate, Cecily, Heidi, Che, and Leslie didn't participate. 

9 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I'm guessing the other mothers may have passed on. Or they couldn't make it out to New York. P

Or maybe some of the moms are like Darryl Hammond's mother.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Gemma Violet said:

Or maybe some of the moms are like Darryl Hammond's mother.

Yeah, she was a monster. I think Darryl said he made peace with her in his book.  That she must have been horribly abused herself as a girl.

The best was definitely "The Day You Were Born" short. It was funny and also very sweet and written from a place of appreciation for moms everywhere.

The rest though fell flat. Some good ideas but I don't know, either the writing or performing felt "less than" this week.

I liked Heidi Gardner's teen critic Bailey before but this time also felt "meh". Although I like that she did voice this weird thing of Thanos suddenly gaining fangirls. First there were people thinking Pennywise from IT is hot, then the robot from the new Lost in Space reboot on Netflix, now Thanos, what's going on? LOL!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5

Speaking of Darrell Hammond, I wasn't even sure that was him doing the announcing at first.  It didn't sound like him. Maybe he had a cold or something.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, possibilities said:

Lil Rent/Diabetes edition... heh. Who was the kid actor? It seems unfair that when they bring on kids, they don't really give them credits, not even in the good-byes when they thank the surprise guests. If you're gonna keep them up late, you should at least give their careers a name recognition boost.

I thought I recognized him from his previous appearance on the show, and IMDb confirmed it: his name is Azhy Robertson, and he also played the main character in last season's "Wells for Boys." His career seems to be going well despite the lack of name recognition; he also has a small but significant recurring role in this season of The Americans.

• Love 2

I thought "The Day You Were Born" hit the perfect note. But I was disappointed with the Handmaid's Tale/Sex and the City mash-up. Really promising concept but the execution fell flat for me.

• Love 6

I know I'm in the minority, but Amy Schumer's humor never works for me.  I have tried watching her standup routines and she never makes me laugh.  Not once.

The first laugh of the night for me was when they panned to Kate, weird mom.  The next and only laugh was The Day You Were Born.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I know I'm in the minority, but Amy Schumer's humor never works for me.  I have tried watching her standup routines and she never makes me laugh.  Not once.

You're not the only one.  I've never understood her appeal.

• Love 2

"The Day You Were Born" was sweet at the end,  but - and I get that this is my own sensitivity - as a mom who has had two (premature, complicated) c-sections and has never been in labor,  not to mention all the other moms who haven't given birth,  they laid a little too heavy on the labor/delivery side of things.  

I still find everything Heidi does painfully unfunny.  I thought Melissa was hilarious on Update.  I really liked the graduation sketch. 

• Love 1
(edited)
37 minutes ago, librarianbeck said:

"The Day You Were Born" was sweet at the end,  but - and I get that this is my own sensitivity - as a mom who has had two (premature, complicated) c-sections and has never been in labor,  not to mention all the other moms who haven't given birth,  they laid a little too heavy on the labor/delivery side of things. 

I still find everything Heidi does painfully unfunny.

I had a crash c-section at 28 weeks under general anesthesia due to severe preeclampsia and didn't see my baby for two days, but I was fine with the sketch.  Most births are vaginal.  Not everything can be everything to all people.

Completely agree with you about Heidi.  That bit on WU was hideously bad.

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 8

I was surprised Kasey Musgraves didn't do one of her earlier songs, but maybe she's trying to present a full picture of her new album.  I liked Slow Burn better, but I'm also glad she's not being stuck in a box (and I LIKE country; it's a good box.)

I know people who do theater with younger people, and "Lil' Rent" was disturbingly spot-on.

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I had a crash c-section at 28 weeks under general anesthesia due to severe preeclampsia and didn't see my baby for two days, but I was fine with the sketch.  Most births are vaginal.  Not everything can be everything to all people.

Completely agree with you about Heidi.  That bit on WU was hideously bad.

My first was similar to that,  too,  and like I said,  I realize its my own particular sensitivity.  I wasn't MAD about it,  it's just one of those little things that bugs me.  We all have something like that,  I think. For me,  it's this.

(edited)
8 minutes ago, librarianbeck said:

My first was similar to that,  too,  and like I said,  I realize its my own particular sensitivity.  I wasn't MAD about it,  it's just one of those little things that bugs me.  We all have something like that,  I think. For me,  it's this.

No worries.  Getting off topic here, but what made me mad was the dipshit unit clerk in the ICU where I worked telling me I should be glad I had an emergency c-section for a baby under 2 pounds, after we both almost died, because I didn't undergo the pain of vaginal delivery.  I thought briefly about the traditional delivery pictured vs my experience when I watched the sketch, but didn't let it affect how I liked it.  They were really addressing the same principle anyway, that there's this myth about the wonder of motherhood that doesn't stand up to reality.  Especially, for me, the standard image of a Gerber baby when my baby looked like what she was--a raw, red, tiny six month old fetus.  

I fibbed earlier when I said that was the only thing I liked last night.  Kenan's reaction shots to Kate and Amy in Last Call were priceless, even if the rest of the sketch was nasty.

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

I enjoyed "The Day You Were Born" the most.  "Am I pooping?!" Was that the only sketch Alex Moffat was (barely) in tonight? 

I think he was in Handmaids in the City, the guy who zaps Amy.

I liked seeing the moms in the cold open. I thought it was sweet.

My favorite part in the monologue was Amy talking about tampons and menstruating. I literally LOL'd when she said 'bleeding out.' I don't why. It just struck me as funny.

The Mother Knows Best sketch didn't work for me. For one thing, I didn't think Amy was very good in it, though I loved the line when she said something like, "Limit your songs to no songs."

I agree with others that The Day You Were Born was fantastic. Sweet and funny.

The Gospel Brunch was ok. I liked the idea of it, but I think it could have been better. My favorite part was when Chris came out with a broom to sweep Cecily away.

Heidi's teen character was well-done -- I admired it more than I laughed. 

I loved Melissa's appearance. It did go on for a long time, but I thought it kept working -- Again, sweet and funny. It had a great ending, too.

The Lil' Rent thing didn't do much for me.

I liked the Last Call bar sketch. Good lines, as usual, though I didn't think they were quite as great as in previous ones. The best, imo, was when Kate said, "I just pitched a cave."

I loved the High School Graduation thing. Lots of great moments and lines. I particularly loved the thing about group pictures where no one knows which phone to look at.

3 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I loved the High School Graduation thing. Lots of great moments and lines. I particularly loved the thing about group pictures where no one knows which phone to look at.

The laser pointer eyes added to the group picture made it even funnier. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, librarianbeck said:

I might just not be a good enough writer, but I think making a joke out of emergency C-sections is probably a really tough assignment.

• Love 9

Overall I thought it was a decent episode. I feel liked the last few episodes have had a bit more energy to them. I also started out liking Melissa McCarthy in Weekend Update and then wondered why the segment was going on forever... I also enjoyed Amy's monologue and asking a stranger for a tampon. It's really kind of true that's that how you ask and that you get really quiet on the "tampon" part.

7 hours ago, Ottis said:

I don’t know why SNL seizes on Handmaiden’s Tale as a metaphor for women today. It’s a work of fiction, with a niche audience. It’s no more about reality than Westworld. Is that a metaphor for women? Because in that show, the rebelling robot leaders are women, so...

Handmaid's Tale. I don't know that tens of millions of people who have read the book are "niche". And I personally can't watch the show right now because the tales within the novel feel too close to potential reality. It takes place in modern times when men slowly begin to take away the autonomy of women until they have none. Do I think we'll get to Offred levels? No (probably.). But we're still discussing a woman's right to her own autonomy so the novel and TV show still are relevant. So that's why SNL is focusing on it.

• Love 24

As a 39 year old who was a bridesmaid two weeks ago, the part in her monologue about that made me stop what I was doing & laugh hysterically. Yes I did think of my arms. 

But I really like Amy so I’m biased. Someone I know asked why I would see “I feel pretty” because she’s a “fat, ugly liberal”. I told them I was a chubby liberal so I identified with her. 

• Love 20
(edited)
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

I might just not be a good enough writer, but I think making a joke out of emergency C-sections is probably a really tough assignment.

My point wasn't that they should be joking about c-sections, I was saying I wish they hadn't brought the birth part into it at all.  Goodness knows there's plenty other parts of motherhood that are tough/unpleasant,  and I feel like they did a good job with the rest of it.

Edited by librarianbeck
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:44 PM, peeayebee said:

The Gospel Brunch was ok. I liked the idea of it, but I think it could have been better.

Was I the only one concerned for the safety of that choir after watching Childish Gambino's This is America video one too many times?

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Heidi's teen character was well-done -- I admired it more than I laughed. 

Good way of putting it. If I had to describe why I like Heidi so much, it’s because she has a great eye for detail. A few weeks ago she did an Allison Janney imitation that was so spot-on. Allison Janney doesn’t have any “trademarks” or specific characteristics, but Heidi focused on small details in how Janney speaks, carries herself.  I love Heidi’s girlfriend of a boxer character. This one, not so much, but I have come across teens with YouTube channels (by falling down rabbit holes, I don’t seek them out!) and a lot of them have similar gestures, ways of saying things, etc.  It’s a combination of the hubris they have to have to do a YouTube show of their opinions, coupled with the unavoidable self-consciousness of adolescence. 

• Love 8
11 hours ago, vb68 said:

Speaking of Darrell Hammond, I wasn't even sure that was him doing the announcing at first.  It didn't sound like him. Maybe he had a cold or something.

Nope, that's how he normally does it, like he's phoning it in while on Xanax.  At least Don Pardo sounded like he was trying to put in some effort.  I miss Don Pardo.

• Love 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, librarianbeck said:

I was a C-section. My mom showed me the scar on her stomach when I was a kid and I legit thought for years all babies were born by cutting the belly of a pregnant woman and taken out until the 6th grade and they separated the boys and we watched a video and saw in graphic detail that no it was NOT!

The "Graduation Day" commercial wasn't as funny as the similar "Christmas" one they did when Martin Freeman hosted a few years ago but maybe it's because I'm too old for some of the things mentioned like "dads with iPads or students dabbing happening at my graduation! The thing I related to was that while I was lucky that my high school graduation was at night indoors my little brother's was in the daytime and our family was sitting in direct sunlight for hours!

Edited by VCRTracking
14 hours ago, BookThief said:

SNL tends to 'seize on' whatever tv shows are popular/current for their show parodies. Since I don't watch most of those other shows, I don't necessarily get the jokes, but I see the references in forums like this one. So doing a Handmaid's Tale sketch is sufficiently in their wheelhouse not to be evidence of some kind of focused gynocentric conspiracy.

That said, I'm not sure that women who are viscerally fearful of having their bodies controlled by government qualifies as a 'niche audience'. I'd write more about how Handmaid's Tale is indeed a dystopic work of futuristic fiction, and not meant to represent reality, but I gotta go read the news. I've heard that some state legislatures have been super-productive lately! Gotta keep up!

• Love 12