Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Day 471

• Start Topic

Reddick, Boseman and Lockhart is left in disarray after a partner at the firm becomes the latest “Kill All Lawyers” victim by an unknown assailant. The Chicago police chief causes a stir when he goes after the firm’s high profile clients Lemond Bishop and Colin Sweeney as potential suspects. Amidst the chaos, Colin is reminded of his true feelings for Lucca.

Yeah, I really enjoyed this one. I'm not a Trump fan by any means, but I don't like the Trump-heavy episodes as much because I prefer a little less reality in my TV; it's actually jarring to me when fictional TV shows have the same president as the real world.

I was happy to see Diane get rid of the drugs and take control of the situation (and in a really satisfying way, turning the stolen clients into a liability for Solomon rather than a boon). I also liked Diane and Liz putting their animosity behind them and working together for the good of the firm. It takes a strong person to admit when they're wrong and apologize, and I liked that Liz did that right away once she realized Diane was right about her husband's agenda. Marissa was take-charge and great as always. It was good to see that Jay is still loyal to the firm and will (hopefully) be coming back. Lucca and Colin had a sweet moment that wasn't out of character for Lucca (I was afraid she was going a little soft there, but nope -- and she did a great job shutting down the police questioning, too). Maia had a nice little win, as well, helping retain an important client. Good storylines for absolutely everyone this episode. More of this, please!

• Love 8

I was overjoyed to see Diane snapping at people to straighten their ties. She's back!

Also loved that Liz and Diane might bury the hatchet. I was so disappointed when the show had them at odds with one another. Two strong women of a certain age - they should be each other's allies. Not squabble for a lower seat at the table in a "man's world".

• Love 10

For my birthday I got an episode that had everything. Lemond Bishop eyecandy, Colin Sweeny (creepy but hilarious), Diana and Liz finally starting to join forces, a Lucca and Colin moment, Marissa in emergency mode, Maya on the rise, Jay is back and the sly trinity of Lester-Landau-Waltzer. They spoilt me! Great epsiode, I did not expect Boseman getting shot.

• Like 2
  • Love 6
On 5/6/2018 at 10:04 PM, Steph J said:

"He was found innocent."  Maia, I know you're still a bit new, but people who are acquitted of crimes are found "not guilty," not "innocent."

I was surprised she didn't say "he was acquitted" but I guess the writers try to avoid even legalese that innocuous when it's expository dialog for non-TGW watchers?

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:04 AM, Steph J said:

"He was found innocent."  Maia, I know you're still a bit new, but people who are acquitted of crimes are found "not guilty," not "innocent."

I'm sure she knows that but it's her job to make a case for her clients. She has to defend Sweeney so using the word innocent is much stronger. Not accurate, but stronger. I'm sure in court she'd be more precise with her words.

I screamed when Adrian was shot and horrified as the place descended into chaos. When both Liz and Diane went to the hospital my first thought was "who is going to call the clients to reassure them?" Diane, sadly, has been through this before and should have known better than to be carried away by her emotions. I'm thrilled that she's got her professional groove back but sad that it took such a shock.

Marissa is a fucking QUEEN! She totally took control of the entire situation and knew exactly what to do. Every choice she made was a smart one. I also like that while she's competent, she isn't magical. She didn't singlehandedly solve the shooting for example and she still has learning to do. Still, of all the people who came into the firm with Diane, she's probably been the most valuable.

Colin and Lucca are adorable and I really want them to find a way back together. I love that he was so worried for her safety that he forgot all about his huge life changing news and I love that she cared so much about that news despite the emergency at work. Also, if the balloons had worked properly and there had just been the one bouquet, that would have been sweet though probably still too much for Lucca's taste.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, vibeology said:

I'm sure she knows that but it's her job to make a case for her clients. She has to defend Sweeney so using the word innocent is much stronger. Not accurate, but stronger. I'm sure in court she'd be more precise with her words.

Respectfully, she was talking to another lawyer.  My experience from working in law firms is that lawyers tend to be precise in their use of legal terminology (because if they weren't, their colleagues might not take them seriously - this is particularly true of younger female lawyers) .  Saying he was "found innocent" probably just made Liz think she was a bit of an idiot.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Steph J said:

Saying he was "found innocent" probably just made Liz think she was a bit of an idiot.

I have to admit I was kind of meanly delighted when someone (Sweeney's fiancee?) disparaged Maya as the coffee girl.

• Love 1

I love this show and nobody else I know IRL watches. I frequent another forum or two on PTV and I don't know why it took me so long to click there were people here to talk with about it! Agree with all the comments made so far - this was a top notch episode. I love Alan Alda and it pains me to see him be such a devious bastard - but he's shockingly good at it. Love that Diane dumped the drugs and gave her head a shake. I really hope burying the hatchet with Liz sticks.

Question: Do you think there was any significance to Jay's drawings (besides the obvious suspect list)?

• Love 3

I like this show much better than The Good Wife towards the end, but am so sick of Bishop and Sweeney.  Thought we were rid of them but here they both are AGAIN.  And I really dislike that they work for such horrible men.

Glad Diane is getting herself back together.

On 5/8/2018 at 10:51 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I loved this episode too.  Really feel like a fan of this show now.  Wish more people would come and comment!

Same here. I don't know anyone else who watches so I come here to go back and forth about the episodes. 

On 5/8/2018 at 9:16 PM, Steph J said:

Respectfully, she was talking to another lawyer.  My experience from working in law firms is that lawyers tend to be precise in their use of legal terminology (because if they weren't, their colleagues might not take them seriously - this is particularly true of younger female lawyers) .  Saying he was "found innocent" probably just made Liz think she was a bit of an idiot.

I didn't take this as the character's deliberate word choice. I honestly thought it was just a slip-up by the writers - albeit extremely lazy for writers on a legal drama. 

• Love 1
On 5/7/2018 at 12:26 AM, Cranberry said:

Yeah, I really enjoyed this one. I'm not a Trump fan by any means, but I don't like the Trump-heavy episodes as much because I prefer a little less reality in my TV; it's actually jarring to me when fictional TV shows have the same president as the real world.

I was happy to see Diane get rid of the drugs and take control of the situation (and in a really satisfying way, turning the stolen clients into a liability for Solomon rather than a boon). I also liked Diane and Liz putting their animosity behind them and working together for the good of the firm. It takes a strong person to admit when they're wrong and apologize, and I liked that Liz did that right away once she realized Diane was right about her husband's agenda. Marissa was take-charge and great as always. It was good to see that Jay is still loyal to the firm and will (hopefully) be coming back. Lucca and Colin had a sweet moment that wasn't out of character for Lucca (I was afraid she was going a little soft there, but nope -- and she did a great job shutting down the police questioning, too). Maia had a nice little win, as well, helping retain an important client. Good storylines for absolutely everyone this episode. More of this, please!

I second ALL of this! 

I'm so glad Liz realized she had screwed up. Diane, while always my imaginary mentor, is so much better when she's not zoning out and letting THEM win - THEM being whoever gets into her head to the point where she has to escape reality. 

Marissa is always great. She's smart and funny and sassy - but all in a normal and interesting way. She doesn't have superpowers, isn't using sex all the time to get results, isn't just relying on contacts to solve cases. She's smart and ambitious. I loved her when she popped up on TGW and  I've liked the actress since Spanglish. 

I never liked or disliked Jay, but I did take an interest in him when they introduced his friend. I liked that he wrestled with the work that he was doing at the firm. Not everyone who enjoys their work is 100% comfortable with the way it fits/doesn't fit in with their personal values & ethics. And I feel like the actor sold that story really well. 

I love Colin and I really want him to win Lucca over, so I was pleased that she got to see the genuine care for her.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

My favourite episode so far, as well. Love seeing Diane take charge and Marissa is awesome. I'd be putting that new receptionist on probation though, she seems like an idiot. 

I didn't understand why an intelligent mature woman like Diane has been microdosing over the last few episodes, so I am so relieved that it in't likely to come back as a plot point. Like seeing the contrast between Tully and her husband, and great scenes with them at the front desk and in the elevator.

It seems pretty obvious to me that the shooter is 

Spoiler

the balloon guy, he should have been the first suspect for the police to look at. I can't imagine that any balloon vender would think it's normal to send 96 balloons to a law office, even if it's a celebration, at the very least I would have expected them to call Colin and verify the large number. Unless the shooter went out and purchased all the additional balloons himself.  Should be easy to figure it out then, once they think of exploring the option. As for the identity of the shooter, I am a little undecided. It looked a little more like Jason Biggs than the slender blonde guy. Anyway, I expect that it will be revealed in the next episode. I can't see them dragging this out thru the entire season.

I just loved how they altered the front credits for the shooting. I am so impressed by all the details they get right on this show, and the quality of the actors they get in are magnificent! I enjoyed The Good Wife (although Juliana became really annoying in the last season or two), but The Good Fight is 100x better, in my opinion. I don't hear that much about the show in the media, so I am hoping it is doing well and we get several more seasons. I don't mind the overtly political plots, good to see someone handling it competently, especially since it seems that returning shows are showing a distinct rightward bent, but I am absolutely fine with sticking to the main characters and good legal plots.

10 hours ago, love2lovebadtv said:

Same here. I don't know anyone else who watches so I come here to go back and forth about the episodes. 

I didn't take this as the character's deliberate word choice. I honestly thought it was just a slip-up by the writers - albeit extremely lazy for writers on a legal drama. 

Oh absolutely.  I didn't mean that Maia did it on purpose, I meant that the writers were being careless and making her look idiotic by not doing their homework.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Steph J said:

Oh absolutely.  I didn't mean that Maia did it on purpose, I meant that the writers were being careless and making her look idiotic by not doing their homework.

It's incredibly lazy. And does nothing to help Maia's credibility lol.  

Why didn't the police sub poena the BUILDING security video? THEY aren't bound by Attorney/Client priviledge (I assume). Sure, it would multiply the possible suspects by a factor of maybe 10, but it would be a start! And of course, the cops immediately go to Lemond Bishop and immediately ignore any "inconvenient" evidence (shooter was white!) that he might not be responsible. I did think it might be Charles Lester (Wallace Shawn - "Inconceivable!"), so I was looking for Jay & Marissa to try and determine the height of the shooter. (Though that's a good idea too, PreBabylonia).

On ‎07‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 5:26 AM, Cranberry said:

I was happy to see Diane get rid of the drugs and take control of the situation (and in a really satisfying way, turning the stolen clients into a liability for Solomon rather than a boon).

Of course, she DID go through Will's shooting, but I loved her take charge attitude. And everyone rallying round effectively. Luca even started pitching for new clients! I even thought the receptionist was believable in her reaction - she was clearly shocked but didn't go to pieces (Marissa taking charge helped, obviously). Some first day!

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 12:38 AM, gonzosgirrl said:

I love Alan Alda and it pains me to see him be such a devious bastard - but he's shockingly good at it.

Was I the only one that thought when he said he used to be a doctor, "Was that in Korea or at Chicago General"?

• Love 1