Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E16: Top 7- Prince Night

• Start Topic

Day is funny.  He co-wrote Jungle Love.  I worked at a big nightclub he played in the 80s.  The crowd all did The Bird when he played it.  Ha, good times.  

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing I noticed that they've changed this year, and I don't think it's been mentioned, is that only the top 7 will be going on tour this year. It used to be the top 10.

In Season 14, they only toured with the top 5 and Season 15 didn't get a tour. Back in the day, Idol tours filled arenas. The tour really started struggling in Season 12 (although Season 3, 6 and 9 and their issues as well). I'm kind of surprised that ABC is willing to take a flyer on having a tour at all. They have tried to right-size the tour and I hope it works. I think the concerts give the Idols a chance to improve their performance skills and engage fans.

3 hours ago, kili said:

In Season 14, they only toured with the top 5 and Season 15 didn't get a tour. Back in the day, Idol tours filled arenas. The tour really started struggling in Season 12 (although Season 3, 6 and 9 and their issues as well). I'm kind of surprised that ABC is willing to take a flyer on having a tour at all. They have tried to right-size the tour and I hope it works. I think the concerts give the Idols a chance to improve their performance skills and engage fans.

I've always thought that the tour should include the winner of American Idol of course, but the remaining contestants should be "voted" in by America. I remember times when the contestants seemed to "mail in" their performances once they made the top ten and knew they were gong on tour. 

Had this random thought...I would love to see/hear a duet featuring Maddie and Caleb.  Never crossed my mind until his performance of When Doves Cry.  I adore Maddie...and thought Caleb had a good solid voice for country....but not adventuresome enough in his song selections.  Now I would love to see them try something in the southern rock/country vein.

On 5/7/2018 at 2:53 PM, proserpina65 said:

Caleb has a very good voice.  He's mostly been in the contemporary Country wheelhouse, and if that's not your thing (it's not mine), I can see him not appealing to you.  But he is talented.

It's true country is most definitely not my thing. But I've heard and endured a lot of country contestants on Idol, and Caleb just doesn't stand out. He sings on-key, but that's about all I can say for him. His song choices are not strong, he doesn't have any charisma, and his "aw, shucks, ma'am" schtick seems contrived. YMMV

2 hours ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

Oh yes, I know that. Prince wrote a big pile of songs, but he didn't SING it. That's what I thought people were implying. 

2 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Someone did say Prince sang it.  

That would be me. I honestly thought he sung it as well. I could have swore I remember Prince performing this on something. Oh well..my memory failed me on that one. Sorry for misinforming anyone.

16 hours ago, yorklee2 said:
18 hours ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

Oh yes, I know that. Prince wrote a big pile of songs, but he didn't SING it. That's what I thought people were implying. 

18 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Someone did say Prince sang it.  

That would be me. I honestly thought he sung it as well. I could have swore I remember Prince performing this on something. Oh well..my memory failed me on that one. Sorry for misinforming anyone.

I was the one that WINSTON9-DT3 replied to when I said I didn't know it was a Prince song. So when you said he did, I googled it and there are some live performances of him singing it on YouTube. Looks like he may have just done if for a concert, but probably didn't record it himself like Morris Day did. It's out there on YouTube if you want to check it out.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:20 AM, AnnieHeights said:

Jurnee......so pretty but agree with everyone else, she doesn't connect.   

To me, Jurnee is Beyoncé lite, which sounds screechy to me.  Don't hate.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 2:49 PM, Madding crowd said:

Katy dresses and acts like  the entire show is only about  her  which really does a disservice to  the contestants.

At $25 million, I'm sure she thinks it is.

At least Katy doesn't make the show flip to shots of her so often during the performances that it's downright fishy, like JLo did.  Her showboating seems limited to times when the focus is supposed to be on the judges.  

12 hours ago, llewis823 said:

I was the one that WINSTON9-DT3 replied to when I said I didn't know it was a Prince song. So when you said he did, I googled it and there are some live performances of him singing it on YouTube. Looks like he may have just done if for a concert, but probably didn't record it himself like Morris Day did. It's out there on YouTube if you want to check it out.

Thanks @llewis823. Guess my memory didn't fail me completely. I thought I had seen him perform it somewhere. I just assumed from that that he had wrote and sung it as well. After looking up the video by Morris Day I remembered then that it was sung by someone else.

(edited)

Catie got the boot,  but she'll make good money on the tour. I agree with plotpointer that she needed to connect more with the songs, at least tonight. Too bad the season's truncated format did not allow for her metamorphosis into a butterfly,  because "Oops! I Did It Again" required the coquette,  but the time wasn't right. Speaking of  "Oops!"... her opening of "Manic Monday"....?

Caleb is growing on me. I didn't really care for his pedestrian version of "When Doves Cry," but whatever his other song was I thought he sang it 4well and made good eye contact (boy has lovely baby-blues).

Cade continues not to impress me. 

Maddie I like minus the lurking yodel. Gabbie and Jurnee to me have beautiful voices. Michael, I have a hard time understanding his words. ?✋

Next week is all Carrie Underwood songs? Jesus,  Take the Wheel and drive me outta here! ???

And one last point: Being a major Adam Lambert fan, I laughed when it was announced  on this episode that Kris Allen would be touring with the Top Seven. Good luck with that,  Season 16!

Edited by LennieBriscoe

I pretty much disliked all of the performances this week with the exception of Maddie.

Michael.  Michael, Michael, Michael, Michael.  Christ on a cheese curl, I hate the way you enunciate when you sing.  First with the "I would die fuh ya" and then you went all, "you're heh...there's nothing I feh."  I'm liking you less and less.

Cade can go.  Now.  And take Katy Perry and her mom with him.

Next week is all Carrie Underwood songs? Jesus,  Take the Wheel and drive me outta here!

If it helps, you can also mentally change the hook to "Turn into the skid", which fits the meter and is good advice.  (With apologies to whomever on TWOP I took that from.) 

On a rewatch, with Catie's song, I kept thinking of the Anna Kendrick bit on Saturday Night Live.  That was where Ursula from the Little Mermaid says something like "If you're doing Britney, do 'Toxic' or don't bother."