Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E18: One Ton Family: Part 2

• Start Topic

Just watched part 1 and half of part 2, but had to say the shock of Dr. Now preparing us that new doctors will be taking his place made me quite bummed. I always liked Dr. Now and his genuine, plain spoken, unintentional sparkle. The new docs who were introduced in this episode seemed "corporate" and "scripted" and it made me realize a huge part of the appeal of this show is Dr. Now.   cry-blow.gif

PS. What in the fucking hell was Dr. Baby Voice wearing in that therapy session? Therapists are supposed to appear non-threatening and nondescript so as to not trigger their patients. Also, NO therapist says "Okay, thanks for coming!" Jesus God. It just shows how much that woman loves an audience. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Just watched part 1 and half of part 2, but had to say the shock of Dr. Now preparing us that new doctors will be taking his place made me quite bummed. I always liked Dr. Now and his genuine, plain spoken, unintentional sparkle. The new docs who were introduced in this episode seemed "corporate" and "scripted" and it made me realize a huge part of the appeal of this show is Dr. Now.   cry-blow.gif

PS. What in the fucking hell was Dr. Baby Voice wearing in that therapy session? Therapists are supposed to appear non-threatening and nondescript so as to not trigger their patients. Also, NO therapist says "Okay, thanks for coming!" Jesus God. It just shows how much that woman loves an audience. 

Agree.  They've had so many professional-seeming therapists on this show, but most of the time, it's this weirdo, Lola.  She has plenty of issues of her own, with those wigs, the heels, that outfit... she's a mess!!  I can't imagine one single patient being able to relate to her on any level.

Re: goals and "eating habit", so many of these patients seem to focus just on "meeting the doctor's goal" and not on changing their lives.  "I wonder how the doctor will feel if I don't hit his goal?" Or "The doctor should be happy this time because I met his goal."

It totally killed me when Roshanda was all worried, something, like "what if I didn't meet his goal and he doesn't approve me and I went through all this for nothing!"

I was thinking, "What the hell?  Went through this for nothing? You lost 200 pounds!!!"  

Roshanda totally thinks that the surgery is "the goal" and it's going to be magic.  I swear, if she gets it in a future season, she's going to be one who finds a way to gain it all back.

About 25 years ago, my husband (a lawyer) had a bariatric surgeon as a client.  He was fascinated by patient stories.  One went from morbid-obesity to becoming a model for an upscale department store.  But many of them figured out that, though they could not eat enormous meals anymore, they could sip milkshakes all day long and get right back up to their mental comfort zone of obesity.

I think of that so much when I watch this show.  These patients are not given the therapy to learn how to live in society as a normal-sized person.  They're addicts, and their way of relating to the world is as an obese person.

Back to this show - I hate all 3 of them.  They're rude, immature, devoid of intellect and completely empty of any insight into their conditions.  If there is any future follow up to these 3, it will be failure/funerals.

• Love 5

I can't imagine one single patient being able to relate to her on any level.

I don't love her but I can see patients like Roshanda relating to her. They have the same taste in makeup, hair (wigs) and clothes. 

Years ago, I knew a social worker who worked with victims of domestic violence. She smoked, as did a lot of her clients. She said that often she established rapport by just sitting outside on the front steps with them, smoking a cigarette. It was authentic - she was actually a smoker - but it also made her seem human and relatable to her clients. I think Lola (or whatever her name is) establishes rapport with patients like Roshanda in much the same way. 

• Love 7

I'm not going to tell people who snark on Dr. Lola that they are wrong; each person has her own comfort zone. I just want to say that I really like Dr. Lola. I feel she is genuine and I think she is insightful. I would love to have her as my therapist.

She puts a lot of effort into her appearance. I see a creative, artistic person who wants to look nice for her client meetings. So what? I find her artistic style  inspiring. She knows what she's doing therapeutically and I hope they keep her on the show.

• Love 7

I don't love her but I can see patients like Roshanda relating to her. 

I agree. I'd describe her style as "trashtastic drag queen" and it would be a huge distraction for me as a client...but I'm not the client here. They bring her in mainly for low-income black people. That's who she has to connect with.

• Love 3

At the very least, I think Dr. Now should send them home with a DVD of Food 101 or something that they are required to watch. Does anyone know if he gives them a sheet with foods to eat and portions in order to lose the "30 pounds dis munt"? If these people are so inexperienced with foods, how do they figure out what is 400 calories or whatever?

• Love 1

At the very least, I think Dr. Now should send them home with a DVD of Food 101 or something that they are required to watch. Does anyone know if he gives them a sheet with foods to eat and portions in order to lose the "30 pounds dis munt"? If these people are so inexperienced with foods, how do they figure out what is 400 calories or whatever?

I've never seen it but there have been numerous references to his diet, the lists of foods they can and cannot eat, etc. I'm sure there is plenty of written information on what to eat and what the portion sizes are - whether or not anyone reads it, believes it or follows it is another matter.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

I've never seen it but there have been numerous references to his diet, the lists of foods they can and cannot eat, etc. I'm sure there is plenty of written information on what to eat and what the portion sizes are - whether or not anyone reads it, believes it or follows it is another matter.

Sometimes you will see patients with some papers in their hands and he'll reference the diet. Though I have to admit, I hope he gives them something more than this. It's a bit too broad for these folks. I got a lovely color brochure from the university clinic I visited, with lots of specific choices/portion sizes, and including ethnic foods. 

23 hours ago, 7788BeaconHighway said:

I'm not going to tell people who snark on Dr. Lola that they are wrong; each person has her own comfort zone. I just want to say that I really like Dr. Lola. I feel she is genuine and I think she is insightful. I would love to have her as my therapist.

She puts a lot of effort into her appearance. I see a creative, artistic person who wants to look nice for her client meetings. So what? I find her artistic style  inspiring. She knows what she's doing therapeutically and I hope they keep her on the show.

When I see someone who is so over-the-top with appearance, I feel that she is putting on a costume to distract the viewer from something she does not want anyone to notice.  Could be a physical feature (bad teeth, etc) or something in her personality about which she is insecure.  Lola is always over-the-top.  That outfit was just crazy and completely unprofessional.

There's a huge difference between good-grooming and putting up virtual armor of clothes, wigs, makeup, heels.

Lola also uses an unnatural voice.  When I hear someone using a high-pitched voice like that, they're either talking with little kids, or they're super-uncomfortable with either the words they're saying, or the person they're talking with.

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, Trees said:

When I see someone who is so over-the-top with appearance, I feel that she is putting on a costume to distract the viewer from something she does not want anyone to notice.  Could be a physical feature (bad teeth, etc) or something in her personality about which she is insecure.  Lola is always over-the-top.  That outfit was just crazy and completely unprofessional.

There's a huge difference between good-grooming and putting up virtual armor of clothes, wigs, makeup, heels.

Lola also uses an unnatural voice.  When I hear someone using a high-pitched voice like that, they're either talking with little kids, or they're super-uncomfortable with either the words they're saying, or the person they're talking with.

I always get this vibe that Dr. Lola is using that voice and her outfits to make it all about her rather than the actual patient.

• Love 3

so over-the-top with appearance

In some circles, Lola's appearance isn't that over the top. I've worked with women whose style isn't dissimilar to Lola's and some of them have been really good at what they do. Lola's friends, family, and others around her may have a similar aesthetic. Hell, the people working at my local Sephora have a similar aesthetic.

• Love 4

Whether Lola is all about 'hey look at me', or just funky/off beat or whatever way someone might interpret her 'style', she could leave the more out there choices for her own time. Given she's on TV, it just seems more suspect she's trying to get attention & maybe even her own show.

And her voice can't possibly be for real; at one point in a past episode I recall her having a moment of sounding more normal. I suspect she's doing that on purpose & it's obnoxious.

All this is my own personal opinion.

• Love 5

So were these the same episodes that were shown (dated as new by TLC and/or Uverse) yesterday and this am?
I recorded them, but only got the first hour of the first one.
I HATE it when my VCR doesn't work.
What I did see looked like what I remembered.

9 hours ago, Hellga said:

I kept it on through about halfway through part 2 and it seemed to be all the same stuff we have seen before.

God help me I watched it all, and it was just a repeat of what we'd seen before.  But I'm hoping that their re-showing of it portends an update.  I'm worried sick about Roshanda.

On 4/7/2019 at 6:42 AM, Mothra said:

But I'm hoping that their re-showing of it portends an update.  I'm worried sick about Roshanda.

I missed this last year when it originally aired.  Mr Twopper had been in the hospital for a week, but it took him about 2 months to recover fully at home so I missed most of the shows last spring.

I was really confused by it, because I had recently watched "Family by the Ton" and I guess old age is dulling my reading comprehension because I saw "One Ton Family" and thought it was the same show.  

I lived in New Orleans for about 10 years, and I visited several times in Lafayette which made it a little more interesting to me than the normal show.  I have no idea what the recipe is for the 400 calorie chili that they ate 3 times a day.  I wonder if they came up with a low cal version of red beans.  We eat them on Mondays in winter and fall.  But when a person mentions eating "red beans" they almost always mean, 'red beans, rice, and a hunk of andouille sausage" plus some kind of bread.  We usually have a baguette with it, but I know people also eat cornbread with it.  I have a package of Camellia brand red beans sitting on the counter calling to me now, but my eating habit tonight is pork loin, squash and salad.  And a little green pepper jelly to go with.

I hope there is a WATN episode soon.  I do hope they are doing okay.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Twopper said:

I lived in New Orleans for about 10 years, and I visited several times in Lafayette which made it a little more interesting to me than the normal show.  I have no idea what the recipe is for the 400 calorie chili that they ate 3 times a day.  I wonder if they came up with a low cal version of red beans.  We eat them on Mondays in winter and fall.  But when a person mentions eating "red beans" they almost always mean, 'red beans, rice, and a hunk of andouille sausage" plus some kind of bread.  We usually have a baguette with it, but I know people also eat cornbread with it.  I have a package of Camellia brand red beans sitting on the counter calling to me now, but my eating habit tonight is pork loin, squash and salad.  And a little green pepper jelly to go with.

I hope there is a WATN episode soon.  I do hope they are doing okay.

I just accepted their word for the 400 cal/serving chili--the servings looked very small--but it never occurred to me to associate it with red beans and rice.  I didn't grow up with this dish but readily converted when introduced, and you're right--no way is this 400 cal/serving, especially with the necessary accompaniments.  I'm hoping they made regular middle-America-style chili, with lean hamburger (or better, turkey) and tomatoes, light on the kidney beans.  My husband's family eats their (regular) chili over rice, which I'd never seen before (we ate it with saltines crumbled on top), and when I learned to make Texas-style chili I started serving even plain old chili with grated cheddar and sour cream.  Now there's a diet chili!

I hope we'll see more of them, too.  Roshanda started out I think in the 800s--and (limitedly) ambulatory.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Mothra said:

I just accepted their word for the 400 cal/serving chili--the servings looked very small--but it never occurred to me to associate it with red beans and rice. 

I think the reference to eating red beans and rice (rb&r) was an alternative to the chili.  I think 400 calorie chili might just be the meat, tomatoes, and chili powder.  One of the weight loss tips I have heard is that people who eat the same meals day after day are usually thinner than people with more variety in their eating, but chili 3 times a day sounds awful.  Adding cheese and sour cream as toppers would start to run up the calories pretty fast.  But I think the chili diet worked ok for the limited time they did it.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, Twopper said:

I think the reference to eating red beans and rice (rb&r) was an alternative to the chili.  I think 400 calorie chili might just be the meat, tomatoes, and chili powder.  One of the weight loss tips I have heard is that people who eat the same meals day after day are usually thinner than people with more variety in their eating, but chili 3 times a day sounds awful.  Adding cheese and sour cream as toppers would start to run up the calories pretty fast.  But I think the chili diet worked ok for the limited time they did it.

Many many years ago I saw Shirley Jones and her then-husband Marty Ingels, who was a very fat comedian, on the Today show.  He had lost a whole lot of weight by doing just what you say:  eating exactly the same thing every day.  There was a slight variation in dinner (always boneless chicken breast; Shirley said, as if she'd just figured it out, "You can do so many things with chicken breast!!"), but breakfast and lunch every day were identical.  I thought I was overweight (little did I know) and decided to try it.  I went to the USDA cookbook to find out exactly what nutrients I needed (yes, a little OCD) and ate the same thing every day.  And I lost a whole lot of weight.  And because I was choosing what the foods were, I was able to stay on that diet for a long time.

But the best part of the Today show interview was Barbara Walters expressing surprise and alarm when Marty Ingels told her he could eat a whole rye bread.  Piker.

Back on topic:  So yes, eating low-cal chili three times a day probably did cause them to lose weight.

• Useful 1
On 4/9/2019 at 6:55 PM, Mothra said:

I just accepted their word for the 400 cal/serving chili--the servings looked very small--but it never occurred to me to associate it with red beans and rice.  I didn't grow up with this dish but readily converted when introduced, and you're right--no way is this 400 cal/serving, especially with the necessary accompaniments.  I'm hoping they made regular middle-America-style chili, with lean hamburger (or better, turkey) and tomatoes, light on the kidney beans.  My husband's family eats their (regular) chili over rice, which I'd never seen before (we ate it with saltines crumbled on top), and when I learned to make Texas-style chili I started serving even plain old chili with grated cheddar and sour cream.  Now there's a diet chili!

I hope we'll see more of them, too.  Roshanda started out I think in the 800s--and (limitedly) ambulatory.

WE eat our chili over rice with crackers on top! I also prefer to use turkey breast. 

I really wish there was an update on the Perrios.     The smaller sister really worked hard, and the brother tried, but I don't think Roshonda was all that committed to losing weight, and keeping it off.

There's a starcasm update on Clarence (I think that's the brother's name) and he's doing well, and there might be an update coming on the three Perrios.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

Older sister (we call her Rotunda) just wanted to continue her way of life and get her 15 minutes of fame. Younger sister appeared to be sincerely trying. I think the brother could go either way. He wasn't overly compliant, or totally disregarding the program. 🤔