Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E18: One Ton Family: Part 2

• Start Topic

Two more hours of the Perrio family.  They'll lose weight and gain weight and lose weight again!  Butter will be used to cook vegetables! Salads will be unhappily consumed!  Dr. Now will point out which of the three weighs most or least!  At some point in the episode we will asks ourselves "Why am I watching this?" and/or "Will this ever end?" 

This is the regular episode thread.  It will open after the US East Coast airing.  For the play-by-play, go to the live chat.  

• Love 3

One thing that really annoys me is when the patient says, after walking out of the office, "well, I don't know what to do and  just need help." But, seemingly forget that they just finished talking to Dr Now AND his staff about what they need to do.  It's never clear to them that they have the info they need but refuse to do it because it's not what they want.  There are no magical steps, just hard work and a larger degree of self control.

• Love 21
38 minutes ago, calpurnia99 said:

I'm so scared right now! I am so scared  I don't know what I'll do so I'm so scared cause this is my last chance. And I'm so scared! These 2 said that at least 45 times this episode. Scared of what exactly? Oh yes that they did all this for "nothing". And they "won't get the help they need" .....ugh 

Yeah, scared, scared, scared. And that crap about not getting the help they need; total delusional b.s.  Every time I heard that refrain I was reminded about how much doctor shopping they did in Part 1, just hoping that they could find one doctor stupid enough to perform surgeries on them without requiring them to lose any weight first. The look on their faces when the last doctor they saw, who referred them to Dr. Now, said that the usual weight limit is 450 pounds for people seeking bariatric surgery was priceless.

• Love 14

It's just so simple...if you're making red beans and rice and chicken at home, NO RICE!

That said, the local home-cooking takeout restaurants in SW Louisiana are AMAZING. Everything is luscious, slow-cooked, spicy gravy over rice. Unless it's fried. When you choose two sides to go with your entree, that's in addition to rice -- the rice comes automatically and is served under the meat/fish. And then the sides are potato salad and corn.

That would be a hellacious place to try to eat low-carb. I guess you could eat the boiled crawfish and shrimp.

• Love 6
49 minutes ago, IvySpice said:

It's just so simple...if you're making red beans and rice and chicken at home, NO RICE!

That said, the local home-cooking takeout restaurants in SW Louisiana are AMAZING. Everything is luscious, slow-cooked, spicy gravy over rice. Unless it's fried. When you choose two sides to go with your entree, that's in addition to rice -- the rice comes automatically and is served under the meat/fish. And then the sides are potato salad and corn.

That would be a hellacious place to try to eat low-carb. I guess you could eat the boiled crawfish and shrimp.

I'd say rice and beans, no chicken.  If any of these people just went vegetarian or vegan they would drop so much weight so fast.

Rice and legumes are healthy in the proper proportion.  I've never had meat or fish, and have never weighed over 105.  I eat rice, vegetable and legume-based dishes every day.  I rarely eat Western foods.  I just hate seeing rice being blamed for weight gain.  Just look at most Asian cultures for thousands of years.  It is the way Westen cultures prepare it (butter, cheese, stock, salt - blech), and the huge portions they eat that are the problem.

• Love 12

People were saying in the live thread, if super morbidly obese describes someone under 500 lbs and it also describes someone over 800, that we must need more categories... well no worries folks, Clarence has solved that one for us. If you’re over 800 lbs, its “Dayum!”

• Love 16

The episode was pretty boring. It is obvious they would never give 3 people surgery at the same time. I think it is better to show one patient at a time.  If they wanted to do the whole family, I wish they told more about the dad.

So is Dr Etter going to be a regular next season? He seems nice, maybe too nice for this kind of show. I know Dr. Now can;t keep up his pace forever. If he gets replaced I think I like Dr. Proctor from Family by the ton. 

• Love 10

This wasn't quite as annoying as Part One.  But jeez - they all want the surgery thinking that it'll be magic and they'll lose weight. IT DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT, MORONS!  They don't want to do the hard work. They want magic. There is no magic, regrettably.

Weight loss is a long hard slog. THEN it's an even longer harder slog when you go into maintenance. No wonder most of those super obese fail. Then again, for Weight Watchers - 70% gain all their weight back by the first year after hitting goal weight. 95% gain it all back by year 5. I am in that 5%. It's freaking hard. I'm up and down like a yo-yo.

• Love 10

Once again, even though some of them have lost over 200 lbs (I couldn’t really keep up with who lost how much; I kept drifting in and out of sleep) they really don’t look very different. I think it is because I was hoping to see their attitudes change, or they would look more lively or engaged with the world, but even after losing that much weight they still seem to spend a lot of time draped over the furniture like discarded clothes. Rotunda (dammit I can’t think of her real name now, LOL) really does have some nice clothes, though. I thought her hair and her outfit looked really put together at the doctor visit when she had that long red striped cardigan and those patent leather flats on.

• Love 16

I didn't care for Dr. Etter one bit.  He came off as so studied and scripted.  I don't think one word out of his mouth expressed any of his thoughts or feelings, it all seemed like it came from a textbook.  He could write those stupid opening monologues they start each show with.

I'm sure he is a skilled doctor and surgeon.  He just seemed devoid of any personality.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, gardendiva said:

Once again, even though some of them have lost over 200 lbs (I couldn’t really keep up with who lost how much; I kept drifting in and out of sleep) they really don’t look very different. I think it is because I was hoping to see their attitudes change, or they would look more lively or engaged with the world, but even after losing that much weight they still seem to spend a lot of time draped over the furniture like discarded clothes. Rotunda (dammit I can’t think of her real name now, LOL) really does have some nice clothes, though. I thought her hair and her outfit looked really put together at the doctor visit when she had that long red striped cardigan and those patent leather flats on.

You know, I haven't been able to stay awake to watch the episodes over the last few weeks.  I was bored to sleep with this family AND the lady with the kids they followed for 12 years.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, PumpkinPK said:

I didn't care for Dr. Etter one bit.  He came off as so studied and scripted.  I don't think one word out of his mouth expressed any of his thoughts or feelings, it all seemed like it came from a textbook.  He could write those stupid opening monologues they start each show with.

I'm sure he is a skilled doctor and surgeon.  He just seemed devoid of any personality.

Dr. Etter spoke to the three as if they were 5 year olds,with praise ... How could the doctors approve of that stupid diet of chili three times a day is beyond me.. They all  need more mental healthcare more than medical ....part... of the treatment

• Love 11
8 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

Is part 2 worth watching? Part 1 was a total waste of my time.

No.  This was the most boring thing ever on tv.  I think it may have singlehandedly  eliminated whatever little remaining interest I had in My 600 LB Life.

• Love 8

Dr. Etter is an interesting addition.  Dr. Now said he was mentoring him in doing bariatric surgery on the super morbidly obese.  I wonder if Dr. Now is preparing to pass the torch.  He is in his 70s.  If he's not thinking about retirement then he's thinking about his own mortality.  If Dr. Now isn't doing surgery any more then he isn't doing the show, which means they'd need a replacement.

• Love 8
42 minutes ago, JJ1 said:

No.  This was the most boring thing ever on tv.  I think it may have singlehandedly  eliminated whatever little remaining interest I had in My 600 LB Life.

Paint drying comes to mind watching these three ....

• Love 12

I think they were all depressed on some level. I kept wanting Dr. Now to say "Before we do anything everyone needs a round of antidepressants". I understand if they were depressed they could not help their attitude but everyone came off looking sullen and rude.

• Love 12
(edited)
14 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I think they were all depressed on some level. I kept wanting Dr. Now to say "Before we do anything everyone needs a round of antidepressants". I understand if they were depressed they could not help their attitude but everyone came off looking sullen and rude.

The problem with antidepressants is that it can take awhile for them to start working and it can be really "hit and miss" as to which medication will work for a patient. They aren't instant happy pills. I went through all that several years ago. The best they could ever do with antidepressants for me was find one that didn't make me violently ill, or too spaced-out to function, and probably helped me marginally. And the process took weeks and weeks! AFAIK that's still true, and I'm talking about the current medications. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 10
7 hours ago, NeitherSparky said:

People were saying in the live thread, if super morbidly obese describes someone under 500 lbs and it also describes someone over 800, that we must need more categories... well no worries folks, Clarence has solved that one for us. If you’re over 800 lbs, its “Dayum!”

Gabriel Iglesias says the categories are: big, healthy, husky, fluffy, daaaamn!, and Oh Hell, No!

• Love 15
10 hours ago, Noirprncess said:

One thing that really annoys me is when the patient says, after walking out of the office, "well, I don't know what to do and  just need help." But, seemingly forget that they just finished talking to Dr Now AND his staff about what they need to do.  It's never clear to them that they have the info they need but refuse to do it because it's not what they want.  There are no magical steps, just hard work and a larger degree of self control.

10 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Yeah, scared, scared, scared. And that crap about not getting the help they need; total delusional b.s.  Every time I heard that refrain I was reminded about how much doctor shopping they did in Part 1, just hoping that they could find one doctor stupid enough to perform surgeries on them without requiring them to lose any weight first. The look on their faces when the last doctor they saw, who referred them to Dr. Now, said that the usual weight limit is 450 pounds for people seeking bariatric surgery was priceless.

All this, to the nth degree. Roshonda kept droning on about how "she couldn't get the help she needs". Meanwhile, she was getting the help she needed! She had a doctor willing to perform the surgery. She had a therapist. She had a trainer. She had a detailed diet plan to follow. What more did she want?

• Love 16

Following three journeys at one time was too much for my little brain, so my attention drifted.  My only thoughts after these four hours are ... all three are mobile and all three wore decent clothes. Which is an improvement.

• Love 9
(edited)
4 hours ago, JJ1 said:

It brought to mind Dr Now stated earlier that weight loss surgeries have a 95% failure rating ,its no wonder most insurance companies refuse to pay for it ... Its a waste ....and these people must be  mentally ill to get so large.

Edited by AVM
  • Love 5

Roshonda did brighten up a bit after she got the OK for surgery - she even started smiling. I hope she continues therapy as she said she plans to do so she won’t close down again. 

The overall grumpiness and depression was hard to watch and it tried my patience. I do think, especially with Roshonda, depression made it hard for them to show emotion or enthusiasm. They seemed beat down at times. But I still liked them, maybe because they weren’t outright mean and nasty like so many others. They just seemed Overwhelmed. And yes, major kudos for their mobility and making the effort to look nice. Roshonda especially took pride in her appearance. 

The new surgeon will probably loosen up over time. He’s not an actor, and anyway, this is still the Dr Now Show so he may feel like keeping a low profile for the time being  

He did sort of talk to this trio like they were kids - but at times they sort of acted like sullen and defiant teens. So maybe he spoke in a way he thought they would hear. 

• Love 14
15 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

He did sort of talk to this trio like they were kids - but at times they sort of acted like sullen and defiant teens. So maybe he spoke in a way he thought they would hear. 

I don’t blame him for talking to them like they are kids because they are just like spoiled teens. I would have talked to them like that as well but in that angry, get your head out of your ass way you sometimes have to talk to teens. Not his sunshine and Hallmark card version. 

I have to wonder if Dr Now started out more encouraging and supportive in the beginning or his career and then experience taught him that the vast majority of these people are lazy and looking for a quick fix without effort or lifestyle change. Then he started speaking his mind. Give the new guy a chance. He’ll figure out nice is pointless quickly. 

• Love 11
5 hours ago, gardendiva said:

I was thinking the same thing, she has some really neat outfits and always looks put together. 

One thing that annoyed me (and has on other shows), why do these people lay on their backs when they sit in a chair? At least try to look like your sitting! Maybe its the belly, but it looks like its laziness. 

• Love 8
(edited)
3 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I got a different vibe about Dr. Etter. I don't think he was a phony. I think he's still learning how to deal with patients like these three, who must be off the charts in complexity of issues (mental, psychological, physical) as well as in dire danger of early death. And how to do it with the camera crew in the room. 

Look, I've snarked on Roshanda. But. IMO among her many issues, she's really depressed. And when you're living in a state of clinical depression, you are likely to be very anxious and closed-down especially in stressful situations. That scowl on her face, her minimal verbal responses to the doctors, the crossed arms and sullen demeanor - not unusual for someone wrapped up in depression and its sidekick anxiety. Lord knows what stress hormones were raging through her system. And I believe Dr. Etter was sensitive to that and thought maybe a kind word or two wouldn't be wasted. Even if he came off like a Hallmark card. Given that all of this happened with a TV crew present, and for all I know it was a third take of the scene, I think he needs to up his performing skills, though. 

I COMPLETELY agree with this assessment.  With Dr Now forcing the same repetitious facts on these damaged people, I am constantly reminded of my favorite expression: "When what you are doing is not working, doing it louder or longer won't work either."  This new doc seems to be trying to express to these 3 that he heard them and gives them positive feedback for their efforts, and hope for the future.  It seems to me like the wheels are turning in his head for how to reach them mentally.  If he takes over the show, I think we will see more effort for alternative education and support for the patients.

Dr Now, as much as I love him, pretty much spews out the same lines to everyone.  First meeting - "Hello, you're fat and going to die soon.  Read this page about a 1200 calorie diet, even though you know nothing about nutrition. Comply with it absolutely strictly.  Come back in 2 months and step on the scale again.  Good-bye".  ALWAYS.  

Edited by Trees
  • Love 19

No books in the house.  Sitting around in the waiting room - nobody had a book, even a magazine.  

So many of these patients just SIT.  Blank stares, scowling faces, empty.  "Lights are on but nobody's home."  

I wondered during this episode - never any reading material in any of the interior shots - what the heck do they do all day long?  Do these 2 women, who apparently don't work, simply sit blankly in a chair all day long?  Do they do anything that engages their minds?  

How hard that must be when you're trying to eat 1,200 calories a day - just 3 meals - you sit there blankly and just wait for your next (tiny) meal?

This show could really use more exploration of how these people live their lives and cut out the tedious shots of them walking, with voice-overs whining that they are "scared right now" etc.  

• Love 22
4 hours ago, PumpkinPK said:

I agree, he sounded very rehearsed. 

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

One thing that annoyed me (and has on other shows), why do these people lay on their backs when they sit in a chair? At least try to look like your sitting! Maybe its the belly, but it looks like its laziness. 

Short answer: because when you're this obese, your body changes and things that work for normal sized people don't work for you. Like chairs.  Being that big, your ass is so huge that your spine is nowhere near the back of the chair.  To actually make your back touch the back of the chair you have to lean backwards over your butt. 

I'm sure they'd like to be sitting up straight for the enjoyment of the viewers.  Although it's self-inflicted, it's a pretty horrible life when you've crossed the line over into a place where you've become non-human in a world of humans. 

• Love 8
11 hours ago, IvySpice said:

But then there's the corn and potatoes in the crawfish boil. My dad's family is from St. James parish. I know that food well. It's so good, but not good for a 600 pounder. I cringed when I heard red beans and rice. There's no way that's on Dr. Now's food list.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

I don't think there was a mention of offspring or boyfriends, either- they're still living like kids themselves. (With the help of the US taxpayer, of course)

With the help of brother, Clarence, according to someone who watched the bonus episode last time.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Lesia said:

FUCK THIS NONSENSE!!

I too want to sit around and eat and eat and eat.  I'd eat bagels with cream cheese and then more bagels with peanut butter and jelly and then I'd have chocolate chip muffins and then a huge Italian Sub Sandwich with a gigantic bag of salt and vinegar chips and then an enormous pan of hot brownies fresh out of the oven and then I'd order a pizza and fried calamari and then to finish it off an extra large Resees Peanut Butter cup Blizzard from Dairy Queen.

But I can't because I have to work and I have to feed my children and pay my taxes and walk my dog and rake my leaves and mow my lawn and shovel my snow and go to the post office and the recycling center and the bank and the lacrosse game and the swim meet and the band concert and do laundry and dishes and vacuum and dust and sweep and on and on and on......

MY GOD what do these people DO????????????????????????

Eat.Sleep and Complain "How hard it is....

• Love 10
1 hour ago, dahling said:

Short answer: because when you're this obese, your body changes and things that work for normal sized people don't work for you. Like chairs.  Being that big, your ass is so huge that your spine is nowhere near the back of the chair.  To actually make your back touch the back of the chair you have to lean backwards over your butt. 

I'm sure they'd like to be sitting up straight for the enjoyment of the viewers.  Although it's self-inflicted, it's a pretty horrible life when you've crossed the line over into a place where you've become non-human in a world of humans. 

I think a giant belly would prevent you from folding into a chair, too. 

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, Lesia said:

I too want to sit around and eat and eat and eat.  I'd eat bagels with cream cheese and then more bagels with peanut butter and jelly and then I'd have chocolate chip muffins and then a huge Italian Sub Sandwich with a gigantic bag of salt and vinegar chips and then an enormous pan of hot brownies fresh out of the oven and then I'd order a pizza and fried calamari and then to finish it off an extra large Resees Peanut Butter cup Blizzard from Dairy Queen.

Isn't that what they have for a snack while waiting for Clarence to bring them chicken strips and french fries for breakfast?

• Love 15
5 hours ago, Noirprncess said:

You know, I haven't been able to stay awake to watch the episodes over the last few weeks.  I was bored to sleep with this family AND the lady with the kids they followed for 12 years.

Could not agree more. I skipped the first 17 hours with these three and I'm glad I did. So. boring.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Noirprncess said:

I was bored to sleep with this family AND the lady with the kids they followed for 12 years.

Melissa?  She was so depressed, that I was depressed by the end.  Good luck on her "motivation speaker" career.

• Love 12
14 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

Is part 2 worth watching? Part 1 was a total waste of my time.

You must watch it! It's how we all evolve together as a group... 

4 hours ago, ninjakid said:

Gabriel Iglesias says the categories are: big, healthy, husky, fluffy, daaaamn!, and Oh Hell, No!

Thank  you! You saved me from Googling that because I could not, for the life of me remember those levels!

2 hours ago, Trees said:

No books in the house.  Sitting around in the waiting room - nobody had a book, even a magazine.  

So many of these patients just SIT.  Blank stares, scowling faces, empty.  "Lights are on but nobody's home."  

I wondered during this episode - never any reading material in any of the interior shots - what the heck do they do all day long?  Do these 2 women, who apparently don't work, simply sit blankly in a chair all day long?  Do they do anything that engages their minds?  

How hard that must be when you're trying to eat 1,200 calories a day - just 3 meals - you sit there blankly and just wait for your next (tiny) meal?

When they're not shoveling food into themselves, they are staring blankly because they are thinking about what to shovel in next... (if you're going to only do one thing, do it well?)...

1 hour ago, Lesia said:

FUCK THIS NONSENSE!!

But I can't because I have to work and I have to feed my children and pay my taxes and walk my dog and rake my leaves and mow my lawn and shovel my snow and go to the post office and the recycling center and the bank and the lacrosse game and the swim meet and the band concert and do laundry and dishes and vacuum and dust and sweep and on and on and on......

You are my kind of people!

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Lesia said:

FUCK THIS NONSENSE!!

Okay Lesia I must respectfully ask you please stop mentioning every darn thing I'd like to eat right now (except for those salt and vinegar potato chips) lol! I'm currently doing my low carb thing which works for me: lots of protein, fats, high fiber vegetables with a little fruit and occasional starchy stuff like sweet potatoes or small servings of brown rice and absolutely NONE of your and many of my favorites are allowed right now. ?

BTW, been there, done that when it comes to low fat, tiny portions of lean proteins, higher carb diets and they have NEVER worked for me. Glad if that works for others but, as I like to say, "everybody and every BODY is different."

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

All this, to the nth degree. Roshonda kept droning on about how "she couldn't get the help she needs". Meanwhile, she was getting the help she needed! She had a doctor willing to perform the surgery. She had a therapist. She had a trainer. She had a detailed diet plan to follow. What more did she want?

She wanted someone to lose the weight for her so she wouldn't have to do the work.

3 hours ago, Lesia said:

Italian Sub Sandwich 

Oh man. I spent years in Philly. I never really had a hoagie until I went there. A well-made Philly Italian hoagie is a thing to behold. Dang. Miss that stuff...

• Love 2

I didn't get the impression that the doctors approved that 3 bowls of chili.  It was just that the ladies had determined in their mind that it was exactly 400 calories per bowl, so that's what they were going to stick with.  Obviously, it wasn't correct or they ate more, because if they were correct, they would have lost more, imo. Especially, if you work out. And if you having beans, which is the protein, you don't need meat too, which would be a double protein.  It just adds a lot to your calories.  I wonder if Dr. Now tells them NO green beans, no broccoli, no cabbage, no spinach, no squash, etc.  Just curious, because these people sure do stay clear of them. 

I find that kind of thing frustrating, because to me, it seems like you are setting yourself up.  They are not building skills to eat normally or healthy. It's like a contest or test of endurance.  How long will that last?  I have read around here that the morbidly obese person just has no control or ability to do anything else.  So, I suppose that the physical change that the surgery provides is the only thing that will keep them from gorging on the food.  Still, with the way some of them think......I can't imagine they will stop gorging on all kinds of un-nutritious food, even after the surgery.  

When the brother was complaining about how he just wants to eat what he wants sometimes.....I wondered why he can't set out one day a week to have one meal that he really wants to eat and the rest of time focus on his health.  I wonder if he drives to that little place to get take-outs everyday. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, auntjess said:

Melissa?  She was so depressed, that I was depressed by the end.  Good luck on her "motivation speaker" career.

for Dr Kevorkian supporters ? lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
35 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I didn't get the impression that the doctors approved that 3 bowls of chili.  It was just that the ladies had determined in their mind that it was exactly 400 calories per bowl, so that's what they were going to stick with.  Obviously, it wasn't correct or they ate more, because if they were correct, they would have lost more, imo. Especially, if you work out. And if you having beans, which is the protein, you don't need meat too, which would be a double protein.  It just adds a lot to your calories.  I wonder if Dr. Now tells them NO green beans, no broccoli, no cabbage, no spinach, no squash, etc.  Just curious, because these people sure do stay clear of them. 

I find that kind of thing frustrating, because to me, it seems like you are setting yourself up.  They are not building skills to eat normally or healthy. It's like a contest or test of endurance.  How long will that last?  I have read around here that the morbidly obese person just has no control or ability to do anything else.  So, I suppose that the physical change that the surgery provides is the only thing that will keep them from gorging on the food.  Still, with the way some of them think......I can't imagine they will stop gorging on all kinds of un-nutritious food, even after the surgery.  

When the brother was complaining about how he just wants to eat what he wants sometimes.....I wondered why he can't set out one day a week to have one meal that he really wants to eat and the rest of time focus on his health.  I wonder if he drives to that little place to get take-outs everyday. 

Amen,Its like people who go on the well known diet plans where you only eat their food to lose weight,unless you learn how to eat without the special prepared foods ,the weight will be gained back ......

• Love 4