Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E07: Go Cubs

The Conners can't pay their Wi-Fi bill, so they befriend their new neighbors to use the Internet for Mary to Skype with mom Geena, who is stationed in Afghanistan. Meanwhile, Dan loses an important job and D.J. admits post-military life has been hard, so they come up with a plan to make extra money.

• Love 2
Just now, WednesdayAddams said:

I liked that the neighbor came back at 2am to repay her. I hope they become recurring characters.

I assumed DJ has PTSD of some sort hence why they won't re-enlist him.

He would have to have some hard core PTSD for them not to re-enlist him 

• Love 5
(edited)
4 minutes ago, katie9918 said:

I know a lot of people who talk crap in the privacy of their own homes, but are the first ones to stand up and speak up when they see stuff like that going on. Roseanne wasn’t always nice, or kind, but she always possessed decency and I’m glad that core of it is carrying through the revival.

I hope the neighbors are recurring next season. They seem like they fit right in with the Conners and their crowd.

Yeah, her comments to the woman at the supermarket sounded more like the old Roseanne in some ways. I liked that scene. 

And I too would be all for her neighbors becoming recurring characters. I like 'em. "Did you really have to return this at three am?" "Oh, yes." LOL. 

2 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

LOL @ Jackie basically calling Fox News fake ??

I liked that, too. As did the studio audience, apparently :D. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 20

Feel pretty bad for Michael Fishman. Finally he gets to be in an episode and when he drops Mary off he says "Ok, well I'm leaving now to go to the VA"... Basically his role in this ep was just to drop Mary off and then leave. Luckily he came back for that scene with Dan. It's obvious they don't know what to do with his character. I think out of 6 or 7 episodes now, this is only his third appearance? The other 2 were 15 second cameos.

I also thought that joke about "there's so many veterans living on the sidewalk already" was in REALLY bad taste and I found it offensive.

• Love 4

I'd be very interested in more DJ next season. Sure, Michael Fishman isn't the strongest actor, but I've seen much worse actors out there. Plus, he had some really good moments this episode, particularly with Dan. DJ not being allowed to re-enlist does intrigue me, so I hope we can get into that next season.

I did like the new neighbours. I thought they could make for some really good new recurring characters. 

I wasn't totally invested in this episode otherwise, unfortunately. I will have to sit down and watch it again, because I was cringing at many of the lines, especially at the beginning. So it kind of salted the actual good moments for me.

• Love 9

Haven't seen the episode yet (west coast/Hawaii, won't be on for another....*checks time*...5 hours.

Working for the Army, there are literally hundreds of ways PTSD can manifest. DJ could have drank too much, got in too many fights, was disrespectful of authority, missed too many formations/didn't show up for work. He could be clinically depressed or any number of things that could bar him from Reenlistment. If he was in Syria? Then Traumatic Brain Injury is a real factor. Sometimes they Look okay but the thinking/reasoning process is damaged (you can't always 'see' the brain damage.

Should be an interesting episode...

• Love 16
(edited)

I think this was my favorite episode to date.  Much as I looked forward to catching up with the old cast and their current lives, I’ve found that part a bit tedious.  Tonight’s episode had good characters, an actual story line and a satisfying conclusion.  If this is the ongoing trend, I’ll stick around.

Edited by TomGirl
  • Love 18

I wonder if DJ was some sort of mechanic in the Army. I do like the idea of he and Dan going into business together. 

JP Jr is really a great actor. I’ve watched Grey’s for years and I am used to him as Dr Webber, but he slid back into the role of Chuck so easily. It felt like I had been watching him in that role for years. 

• Love 22

That was really depressing despite Roseanne coming to Fatima's defense at the end. I know that many stores "profile" minorities by asking for ID when they wouldn't ask a white person, but checkout clerks openly harassing customers is sickening.

I'm also really sad about DJ, and I think he must have experienced something terrible to get the kind of PTSD where the army doesn't want him anymore. 

I did love Xosha Roquemore as Geena and cracked up at her comment that people who answer doors in Afghanistan are usually good, but she doesn't know about Lanford.

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

We don’t know that DJ has PTSD. We weren’t told why they wouldn’t re-enlist him.

He didn't say PTSD explicitly, but he told Dan that he started therapy.

• Love 5
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Laurie4H said:

The cashier’s comments just seemed very contrived.  Would someone really speak like that?  Especially the younger generation who are all about tolerance and equality?  Or maybe they were trying to convey the of ignorance of some people in a small town.

Sadly, yes. I do know/have encountered some younger people who would say stuff like that, no question. 

(It's not a younger person, but my mom works with somebody who still says the word "colored" like it's nothing.)

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 9

That was a terrible episode. Clunky writing, stereotypical slams at conservatives, so broad and amateurish. This was the first episode where I felt like this show was a cartoon instead of something thoughtful. Did they get different writers? 

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Annber03 said:

Oh, ffs... *Facepalm* That's awful. That poor owner. Sorry they had to deal with that shit. 

Took 3 guys to shove the asshole out the door. We all tried to apologize for his behavior. It was a horrible situation. I’d never been so embarrassed to live in this town. 

• Love 21
6 minutes ago, AM1418 said:

For example: we have a gas station that is owned and operated by Muslims. The day it hit papers that we killed Osama Bin Laden someone came in that gas station, picked up the paper and started yelling “they got your boy! They got your boy!” The owner was absolutely mortified trying to explain how they were not associated with ISIS or Bin Laden. It was atrocious. 

*head explodes* Wow. What is wrong with people?! I’m so sorry the owner had to go through that. Just wow. 

And I come from a tiny US town and moved to a large diverse city as soon as I was able. Some of the things I hear people say when I go back to visit make me cringe. Ugh. So I don’t think that the portrayal of the cashier saying those things directly to her face in a town like Lanford is far-fetched at all. If anything, it seems completely (and horrifyingly) spot-on. 

• Love 15

I often wondered why they never mentioned the Connor's getting EBT/food stamps in the original Roseanne because they were often poor and saying they couldn't afford groceries in several episodes.  I used to always think, "Why aren't they getting an EBT card?"   I assumed because it would've been too controversial.   

• Love 5

What I don’t get is Dan still hanging drywall.   He has to be on Social Security at this point, and should be able to work a less strenuous job.  The solution seems easy enough, move Becky and Bev in and pool resources.  That’s what a lot of families are doing now.  It’s actually how people used to live, and can be rewarding.   For smart people, the Connors sure have funky finances. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

He has to be on Social Security at this point, and should be able to work a less strenuous job.

Full benefits for Social Security only begin at age 66; each additional year you wait to file (up to age 70) adds a small amount to that. One or both of them may be trying to hang on until 66, at least. 

• Love 6

I cracked the hell up when Darlene flung Roseanne's brownie across the room.

Count me in as really liking the new neighbors... I hope see them again. And it was so great to see James Pickens Jr. I stopped watching Grey's a while back but he was one of the reasons I hung on for so long.

• Love 23
17 minutes ago, omgsowicked said:

I cracked the hell up when Darlene flung Roseanne's brownie across the room.

So did the rest of the cast, which made it even funnier!

• Love 23
(edited)
1 hour ago, AM1418 said:

Ranks up there with my favorite of the season. This felt like a “real” Roseanne episode. 

I thought Michael Fishman did a fine job in this episode. I hope they give him more of a role like this next season. I think he had the perfect amount of screen time. Even in Roseanne of old he wasn’t a prominent character as he got older. 

As depressing as the subject matter was, I still found myself laughing out loud quite a few times. Darlene was back to her amazingly sarcastic self. Roseanne and Jackie’s sisterly banter. Jackie being way less wacky. I even enjoyed the kids, minus Harris. She’s trying too hard to be Darlene and failing horribly. I still find 0 redeeming qualities in her.  Jackie’s “I have a mustache. I look like mom” killed me.

I can appreciate why some of the subject matter and jokes associated would upset someone, but they didn’t me personally. I guess this is what I expect of Roseanne. They’ve always joked about touchy subject matter, and I didn’t expect the revival to be any different. 

Living in a small town like Lanford what that cashier said isn’t off base. Small towns have 0 tolerance and understanding of something different to them. For example: we have a gas station that is owned and operated by Muslims. The day it hit papers that we killed Osama Bin Laden someone came in that gas station, picked up the paper and started yelling “they got your boy! They got your boy!” The owner was absolutely mortified trying to explain how they were not associated with ISIS or Bin Laden. It was atrocious. 

So far it sounds like my UO is I really liked this episode. 

I don’t think it was upsetting. I think it was amateurish. As if every third line was a swipe at some perceived injustice, while the characters themselves were doing nutty things simply to create an oppprtunity for the swipes. Waking up a neighbor you don’t know at 2 am to use their Wi-Fi? DJs comment about waiting for cheap doctors at the VA (which went over flat with the audience)? Roseanne’s needless obsession over fertilizer, followed by a cheap 180 at the grocery store after the worst cashier in the world makes nasty comments that would get her fired virtually anywhere? Dan’s assumption that the only way his union bid could be beaten was with illegal labor? Maybe it was just nonionion citizens? This ep was written around causes, strung together by flimsy story. It was a disappointing change after earlier eps were more stories which included observations and commentary on naturally occurring events. 

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 11
57 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

What I don’t get is Dan still hanging drywall.   He has to be on Social Security at this point, and should be able to work a less strenuous job.  The solution seems easy enough, move Becky and Bev in and pool resources.  That’s what a lot of families are doing now.  It’s actually how people used to live, and can be rewarding.   For smart people, the Connors sure have funky finances. 

They have never been smart about their finances.

As for moving everybody in, they've said many times that the house is at capacity. Sure, technically they could cram everybody in, but most people want some semblance of quality of life.

• Love 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, Mu Shu said:

I agree. I mean, damn, it's kind of pathetic at this stage of the game that none of these people can get their bills paid. 

It's weird because I like the neighbors, I like Mary and I was thrilled to see Chuck and AnneMarie, but I hate episodes where they feel the need to tick off ten political and SJW boxes in less than thirty minutes. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 9

Showing my economic ignorance: I was surprised when the neighbor used food stamps to buy her groceries, given that the family was buying so many items (including lots and lots of fertilizer) and had cable/WiFi, which would likely be pretty pricey.

• Love 21
2 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:
2 hours ago, WednesdayAddams said:

I liked that the neighbor came back at 2am to repay her. I hope they become recurring characters.

I assumed DJ has PTSD of some sort hence why they won't re-enlist him.

He would have to have some hard core PTSD for them not to re-enlist him 

I don't like the idea of him reenlisting and leaving Mary with no parent to take care of her.  I know military couples do it, but it just doesn't seem fair to the child.

When DJ asked Darlene to wake Rosanne up at 2 am to help her with the skyping, I thought, why not skip the Rosanne part and just let Darlene do it? (Before they knew there'd be WiFi problems.)

When Jackie spoke of a girls' sleepover, I wondered if Mark would be excluded.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

Feel pretty bad for Michael Fishman. Finally he gets to be in an episode and when he drops Mary off he says "Ok, well I'm leaving now to go to the VA"... Basically his role in this ep was just to drop Mary off and then leave.

Eh, I don't think Fishman cares all that much. He's pretty much been out of the limelight for years and from what Roseann has said he likes it that way. He has other projects going on that have nothing to do with acting, is fairly successful in his own right and he is happy. I got the impression he has used his Roseanne money wisely. He and Roseanne have stayed close throughout the years. At least that's what she said on that crazy short lived reality show she had featuring her nut farm in Hawaii. He even came to visit her one episode. 

• Love 13

I think this was the best one so far. The dialogue was zippy. I love that Roseanne allows her character to get her comeuppance every now and then, and that she genuinely laughs when Darlene banters with her.

I hope we see more of Geena. Xocha Roquemore is one of the best things about "Precious". My name's Joann. Heyyyy. My favorite color is fluorescent beige.

2 hours ago, Laurie4H said:

CNN and MSNBC aren’t any better.

The cashier’s comments just seemed very contrived.  Would someone really speak like that?  Especially the younger generation who are all about tolerance and equality?  Or maybe they were trying to convey the of ignorance of some people in a small town.

My viewing partner thought this, too, and said that the cashier should have been older. Then again, I was 22 when Obama got elected and a friend of mine of my same age texted me about our Muslim president. (Eight years later, one of her best friends is Muslim; there's hope, y'all).

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Dee said:

So did the rest of the cast, which made it even funnier!

Yes! You could tell that had been one of several takes, and they just couldn't help breaking. The genuine laughter you see with Roseanne and Sara Gilbert is especially nice. 

• Love 14

I love that the tradition of neighbors of the conners has carried through on this show.  If I recall correctly, Freddie was their neighbor in season 1..the bowman's in season 3/4..the tildens in season 5, and then the elderly couple that were nudists in a later season.

I'm glad Roseanne has retained the core of who she was in the original series.  Glad that Jackie has been written more like a character then a punchline.

DJ and Dan always had those father and son talks in the garage...glad to see that has continued.

Ann Marie and chuck came back!!!  Next week is Crystal again!  I wish Bonnie came back for a visit (maybe next season??)

• Love 15
(edited)
4 hours ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

Feel pretty bad for Michael Fishman. Finally he gets to be in an episode and when he drops Mary off he says "Ok, well I'm leaving now to go to the VA"... Basically his role in this ep was just to drop Mary off and then leave. Luckily he came back for that scene with Dan. It's obvious they don't know what to do with his character. I think out of 6 or 7 episodes now, this is only his third appearance? The other 2 were 15 second cameos.

I also thought that joke about "there's so many veterans living on the sidewalk already" was in REALLY bad taste and I found it offensive.

I don't think that it was a "joke" so much about so many veterans living on the streets as it was a true representation and unconfortable laughter about the true reality of everyday life. Sad but harsh, yes there are many veterans stemming back to to 60's and more current conflicts that can not cope with day to day issues upon return (and some trying to take advantage as well) self medicating with drugs and alcohol and do have mental health issues.that are Some do want help and some do not, but we should all try to be a hand up when they truly want to get help and move on with their lives.No I am not all pro war ect. as I think some of the conflicts we have gotten our country into we should have stayed out of, but let's face the facts, military spending is big $.

Edited by mbaywife123
Last line dropped.
  • Love 18
9 hours ago, Ottis said:

That was a terrible episode. Clunky writing, stereotypical slams at conservatives, so broad and amateurish. This was the first episode where I felt like this show was a cartoon instead of something thoughtful. Did they get different writers? 

I'm with you.   If this is going to teaching be a Very Special Lesson every week I'm out.   Tackle issues sometimes, sure.  But I'm not here to be shown an after school special.   

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Laurie4H said:

CNN and MSNBC aren’t any better.

About as contrived as the neighbour boy wearing an actual bulletproof vest. Like where would these food stamp people get a bullet proof vest likely worth thousand (s) of dollars? Why couldn't it have been a child's policeman dress up toy bulletproof vest? Why did it have to be the real thing?

7 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Eh, I don't think Fishman cares all that much. He's pretty much been out of the limelight for years and from what Roseann has said he likes it that way. He has other projects going on that have nothing to do with acting, is fairly successful in his own right and he is happy. I got the impression he has used his Roseanne money wisely. He and Roseanne have stayed close throughout the years. At least that's what she said on that crazy short lived reality show she had featuring her nut farm in Hawaii. He even came to visit her one episode. 

I think the revival is the biggest thing in Fishman's life since the end of the original show run. He was one of the biggest social media posters when they were filming.

He made it seem like he was an integral part of the show.

Someone here posted a quote from him about how he tweeted that all his fans needed to wait for "his" episode because he was barely in the previous 7 episodes. This was his episode and his wife Gina has now had more lines in this single episode than he's had in the entire revival.

• Love 5

I'm so glad the old "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" adage doesn't apply to TV message boards, because that was fucking terrible.  Where is my smartly written, full of biting social commentary that also happens to be hilarious Roseanne??  This was like a Saturday Night Live parody of an After School Special.

• Love 8

Oh, wow I wan't to live where you guys (the ones who never see racism) live! The "scared young child" thing happened at my neighborhood playground. In brief, some Muslim kids were kicked out by some white kids- the neighborhood received letters. I can entirely see a young child being afraid- all I have to do is go next door. I agree, that did seem mild to me. A high-profile hate group that I thought was long-gone (you can guess which one) held a public parade in a very close county the day after the election, so... not far-fetched at all to me. Around here racism is not the domain of young people, thank goodness. I moved here to get away from racism, besides my little bubble, you move over a few counties and it's scary.

Beyond that, yes the Fox line was hysterical- and unexpected coming from Roseanne- props to Roseanne for allowing that. 

I also hated the episode- both as entertainment and as social commentary.

The only point that was well done was the responsibility we have to help our veterans. I know vets who despise "Thank a Veteran Day" and "Thank you for your service" for this very reason. 

Well they sure packed in almost every social issue in the world. I don't expect this episode to go over well.

• Love 11