Type keyword(s) to search

The Rain - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I was looking forward t this show but i thought I might end up quitting during the first episode because of how annoying i found the family particularly Rasmus. He was way too old to be playing up in the car. Between the Dad not watching the road and causing an accident and the kids ignoring their mother, opening the door and getting her killed I was not feeling very sympathetic towards them.

• Love 11

I'm really annoyed with them also!   Everything you mentioned was so irritating.  Unless he has a disability, there was no reason for the boy to act like that.  He's plenty old enough to pick up on the seriousness of the situation, even if he doesn't know exactly what is happening. 

What kind of upbringing do these kids have that they argue about and ignore every direction from their parents?  From the first scene, the girl dragged her feet and whinned about her project when her clearly distraght father picked her up from school.  If someone had picked me up from school in that state saying we need to go, I wouldn't be worrying about a project, I'd think someone was in the hospital dying and go immediately.  I can't see my teenage daughter arguing in that situation either.

After that I was annoyed by the kids the whole time and somewhat annoyed by the parents as well.  They don't need to explain everything to their kids but something a little more detailed then they went with might have helped (If their kids aren't the complete idiots they appear to be).  

I stopped watching after that stupid girl broadcast their names, parent's names, and location after being told to protect her brother and that they are safely hidden from whoever is looking.

It was painful.  I hate when the whole plot moves along based on stupid decision after stupid decision. 

• Love 8

Patrick is such an asshole. I'm glad he got kicked out of the group. I still can't stand Rasmus. Popping painkillers when you are better and there is only a limited supply is pretty selfish and attempting to die with your new girlfriend that you've known a week is pretty stupid. 

• Love 2

I don't know if they were going for comedy but I was laughing at the bad guys gathered around a table in a darkened room, plotting evil in front of a giant aquarium.

I'm glad Simone decided to stay in the zone but I wish her decision had been because she was unwilling to spread the virus beyond the wall rather than because she didn't want to leave her friends and love interest.

• Love 2

It was either Rasmus or the dog. It couldn't be the rain because some of the others were outside in the rain, so they should have also died if the rain was still infecting people.

• Love 1

I thought the dog infected her. The rain no longer infects people and Rasmus was ok until that infected soldier kissed his forehead. Rasmus is immune but they lingered on the blood on his forehead so i think that the virus interacted with his unique biology and he became infectious without becoming sick. 

Personally I think Rasmus is so annoying they should just sacrifice him for the greater good and get a cure.

• Love 2

The girl had no survival skills.  After the parents were that freaked out about everything they not only opened the door after their mother told them not too but they couldn't wait 24 hours before they started looking for answers?

• Love 3

Religious cannibals.  EEW!  You are the chosen one to feed us all. 

Lea's backstory :(  Not only the rape but then her mother telling her she couldn't come home and then when she called again and she said she would get her and died in the rain.  :( 

• Love 2

My guess Beatrice didn't die from the virus. When Rasmus went to take some morphine it was all gone all of a sudden. There was some there the day before.  Plus her body didn't have the same look to it as the virus victims - no junk coming out of her mouth.  Rasmus most likely was infected by the dog, because it was mentioned the dog was sick or when he gave himself the shot was when he was actually infected.  

But what exactly are they going to do now? They are in a small area, and no way to treat or keep Rasmus from infecting others. 

(edited)

It makes sense that Rasmus became infectious after he injected himself. That soldier died after kissing his forehead but it was confusing because the camera kept focusing on the blood smear from the guys mouth. Did he have some injury that caused the blood? I might have to rewatch the episode more closely to figure out what actually happened.

I too am not sure what they think they will do in the containment zone with everyone chasing them. Martin is shot and needs a doctor, Rasmus is infectious and they can't go back to the bunkers for food so they will be starving again. Plus, the annoying group members that they managed to get rid of, Patrick and Jan, are back. I was half expecting Beatrice to rise as a zombie and rejoin the group.

Edited by snowwhyte
  • Love 2

The ending (with the shadowy heads of the evil organization cackling over their plans to destroy the world) was really hokey; more mystery and less ludicrous explanation would have benefited this show.  Too many implausible and ridiculous turns were taken, like the cult that grows an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables but chooses to engage in cannibalism on the side 'because.'  None of the characters apparently bothered to ask the scientists when the rain became clean?  The young actors (Rasmus and Jean especially) are good looking, but there's really not much here.

• Love 2

The way some of these characters were written really had me scratching my head. Simone and Rasmus finally see their father after 6 years, and the first thing out of their mouths ISN’T “Why the hell didn’t you come get us all this time?” Seriously?

And then there’s the father himself. So he let Apollon think they were dead all these years to protect them from becoming test subjects... I can totally buy that. But then at the end he pulls a gun and refuses to let them leave? Suddenly he no longer cares about protecting his kids, or that Rasmus would be killed to obtain a vaccine? W. T. F?!

Kinda surprised they got away in the end, because through the entire series Simone and Rasmus both acted like they were too stupid to live.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Glade said:

The ending (with the shadowy heads of the evil organization cackling over their plans to destroy the world) was really hokey; more mystery and less ludicrous explanation would have benefited this show.  Too many implausible and ridiculous turns were taken, like the cult that grows an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables but chooses to engage in cannibalism on the side 'because.'  None of the characters apparently bothered to ask the scientists when the rain became clean?  The young actors (Rasmus and Jean especially) are good looking, but there's really not much here.

While hokey, I think the point was to show us that not only have they weaponized the virus, but that the area that was infected was probably a testing ground. In that short scene, we learned that those guys have the capabilities to control the clouds - which means they can infect the rain and have it rain down anywhere at any time.

Perhaps the dad was originally creating the virus to help people, but then Apollon weaponized it. We saw in the flashbacks that the dad was trying to *cure* his son of something that would have otherwise killed him. Apparently, that was the origination of this virus.

The test area was probably to see how long it took for the population to die - perhaps how long it took for the virus to clear out of the infected clouds and to see if anyone had natural immunity. I have to assume it's just this "small" area that was infected and, as of this moment, the rest of the world is fine. But once infected people start escaping... well, then there's no telling where they'll go with this story.

I believe Rasmus had the blood on his head before the soldier kissed him - and I think it was unrelated to anything. I believe Rasmus became contagious when he injected himself with the virus. He's both the carrier and the cure.

• Love 2

Wish they had killed off Rasmus, he's the worst.  And glad Beatriz is gone too - she started out as one of the more interesting characters, but then that was it.

• Love 2

I came here just to say the same. I felt so bad for her. 

Also you can't make them eat people THEN say oh btw. Maybe lead with that. At least with the other culties they made that choice to stay with a good chance of being eaten. Which is stupid cause there is only so many people in a year you would be running out of willing participants lol

• Love 2

I'm thinking the boy has been coddled his whole life, that's why he seems to be so spoiled. If he was sick it makes sense that they would baby him.

I thought the pilot was pretty well done, I was not expecting such a large time jump.

• Love 4

I thought Beatrice was using the story to gain sympathy and help create a bond with the guys. I got the feeling she wanted Martin to be her protector so she had sex with him and then used the made up story to evoke an emotional response. I don't know why she did the same thing with Rasmus. Maybe she was tired of Martin, maybe she sensed some distance between them and wanted a back up option. I still find Rasmus very annoying so I don't know what she would see in him. I doubt he'd be a good protector.

• Love 3
On 05 May 2018 at 4:52 PM, snowwhyte said:

It just wouldn't be a post apocalyptic show without the obligatory cannibals. 

Well yes, is there anyone who wasn't shouting 2they're going to eat you" at the TV throughout this episode. It's a well know post apocalyptic fact that too good to be true communes in the woods are always hiding a dark secret that usually involves eating people somewhere along the line, do these people not watch post apocalyptic TV shows?

I'm waiting for someone to make a show where the survivors stumble upon a perfect community with ample food clean clothes and hot showers on tap, only to run screaming back into the woods shouting cannibals, cannibals, then have the obviously benign residents of the commune wondering why they can't recruit any new members.

I'm enjoying this series, but one of the criticisms i read on TV reviews was that it offers little new in genre terms, and this episode was certainly one of the oldest genre cliches available, having featured in one form or another at the narrative mid point of virtually every post apocalyptic story since Day of the Triffids. The rain has a lot of similarities with the BBC series Survivors, but let's hope it isn't cancelled at the end of the second season with a cliff hanger that leaves all the interesting questions unanswered like happened with survivors, not that i'm still annoyed about this or anything, oh no.

• Love 3
(edited)

This series started strongly but descended into tropes to the point where each episode's plot was predictable from the first five minutes in the latter half of the series.

However, it was a strong cast (mostly) and reminded me of early The Walking Dead or McCarthy’s The Road at times, which is a good thing.

A couple of issues; firstly as someone said earlier, the moustache twirling villains in front of the aquarium was unintentionally hilarious. Secondly the central premise of the show bothered me, I just found it incredibly distracting that rain was so easily avoided, I mean things like grass and trees and buildings tend to stay wet for a while but the moment the rain finished they were all running around outside with careless abandon, and humidity is presumably not a thing in this world.

The final reveal/ explanation was also baffling, and I mean baffling in terms of the writers picking the worst of all the options open to them. Those final villain scenes felt incredibly trashy, I was reminded of the Resident Evil movies.

Edited by Pindrop
17 minutes ago, BasilSeal said:

Well yes, is there anyone who wasn't shouting 2they're going to eat you" at the TV throughout this episode. It's a well know post apocalyptic fact that too good to be true communes in the woods are always hiding a dark secret that usually involves eating people somewhere along the line, do these people not watch post apocalyptic TV shows?

I'm waiting for someone to make a show where the survivors stumble upon a perfect community with ample food clean clothes and hot showers on tap, only to run screaming back into the woods shouting cannibals, cannibals, then have the obviously benign residents of the commune wondering why they can't recruit any new members.

I'm enjoying this series, but one of the criticisms i read on TV reviews was that it offers little new in genre terms, and this episode was certainly one of the oldest genre cliches available, having featured in one form or another at the narrative mid point of virtually every post apocalyptic story since Day of the Triffids. The rain has a lot of similarities with the BBC series Survivors, but let's hope it isn't cancelled at the end of the second season with a cliff hanger that leaves all the interesting questions unanswered like happened with survivors, not that i'm still annoyed about this or anything, oh no.

I too thought this show was reminiscent of Survivors although that show had older, less annoying protagonists and was better written. 

A lot of these shows have similar themes and storylines but if they are done well it doesn't spoil my enjoyment of them. We've seen cannibalism often enough that I didn't feel any horror at the scenes. The lingering close ups of them eating, the dramatic music and then the torso reveal made me laugh though so I enjoyed it. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, snowwhyte said:

I too thought this show was reminiscent of Survivors although that show had older, less annoying protagonists and was better written. 

I agree with most of your post with the exception of that bit, survivors feature a virus to which only the world's dumbest and most annoying people were immune, they never implicitly stated this but it must have been true because boy, where those guys dumb and annoying, and so was everyone they met, ever. Don't get me wrong, i loved survivors, but in all fairness it was terrible, poorly written with awful characters, but it was one of those shows which was so bad it was also simultaneously brilliant.

Like you i wasn't too bothered that this was a well worn PA trope, the too good to be true sanctuary always has a dark secret that is discovered after most of the group have been deceived by the inhabitants, in this case i'm not sure it all made sense though.

They transposed it with the revel of Leah's past, which was pretty traumatic, the idea being that thi illustrates why people would want to forget the past and find a way to abdicate responsibility for what they'd done, i can buy into that, but eating people, really? I mean how did Beardy bloke broach that one when he was setting out the ground rules for his new commune?

"we have to forget about the past and live in the present"

"yes, you're so right"

"we've all suffered traumatic loss, like the death of a loved one or accidentally murdering more people than hitler, the only way to get past this is to forgo our own individual identities and abandon our sense of self."

"ok, that sounds possible"

"oh, and every month we'll have a raffle and the winner will get eaten"

"say what now?"

I also had a bit of a problem with what happened to Leah, the other kids raped her and filmed the assault, then put the evidence on social media, in a progressive European country like Denmark, someone who did that would be going to jail, without question, and though i can believe people can be awful enough to want to do such a horrible thing, i'm not sure that they would be stupid enough not to realise that doing it would have consequences though. (obviously they avoid these consequences by dying horribly, but they didn't know that would happen).

apart from that though, i think that this show stands on it's own merit, the writing largely makes sense, even though the virus is only in water when it suits the plot, and so on, but, whatever. It's certainly technically more proficient than survivors, the landscape does appear to be a convincing facsimile of a post apocalyptic world. not just our own world with a few abandoned cars and a bit of rubbish strewn about the place for effect, neither are they driving down roads where the hedges have just been cut, past houses with freshly mown lawns or fields with crops that have tramlines in them from regular spraying, and so on. In the rain, i can actually believe the world has ended.

(edited)
9 hours ago, BasilSeal said:

Yes, this was the episode where I started eye-rolling at the tropes a little, and then the tropes just kept coming in the subsequent episodes; a scattergun of them, it could make a good drinking game. 

Edited by Pindrop

Here's something I haven't understood since the first episode, if it's the rain that's deadly then how can they go outside at all? Patrick fell in the mud so wouldn't that be infected?

6 hours ago, ally862 said:

Here's something I haven't understood since the first episode, if it's the rain that's deadly then how can they go outside at all? Patrick fell in the mud so wouldn't that be infected?

The rules about how the virus is transmitted are pretty vague, you'd think that if it were in water, every time it rained the environment would be saturated with it, you'd have to wait for a good hot sunny day for the water on everything to be evaporated and the virus killed by the ultra violet light, there could be months in the winter where you couldn't go outside at all.

But now it seems the rain itself no longer carries the virus, it's only carried in infected people and animals, who are unaffected but still carriers. Which would make sense, how else could they contain the virus within a quarantine zone? the weather wouldn't take any notice of a wall. (I'm also assuming at this point that Beatrice was killed by contact with the dog)

• Love 2

I think Beatrice was killed because she had sex with the whiny brother.  He's got killer sperm.

In the first episodes they shot the girl after she fell in the pond and they freaked out when whiny brother stepped in a puddle.  But walking in the foggy woods, that's ok. . . .

• Love 2
On 5/6/2018 at 2:24 PM, snowwhyte said:

I thought the dog infected her. The rain no longer infects people and Rasmus was ok until that infected soldier kissed his forehead. Rasmus is immune but they lingered on the blood on his forehead so i think that the virus interacted with his unique biology and he became infectious without becoming sick. 

Personally I think Rasmus is so annoying they should just sacrifice him for the greater good and get a cure.

On 5/6/2018 at 6:42 PM, Txmomof2 said:

My guess Beatrice didn't die from the virus. When Rasmus went to take some morphine it was all gone all of a sudden. There was some there the day before.  Plus her body didn't have the same look to it as the virus victims - no junk coming out of her mouth.  Rasmus most likely was infected by the dog, because it was mentioned the dog was sick or when he gave himself the shot was when he was actually infected.  

But what exactly are they going to do now? They are in a small area, and no way to treat or keep Rasmus from infecting others. 

I hope the only solution they come up with is to kill Rasmus. Maybe twice.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 07 May 2018 at 3:05 PM, marcee said:

Perhaps the dad was originally creating the virus to help people, but then Apollon weaponized it. We saw in the flashbacks that the dad was trying to *cure* his son of something that would have otherwise killed him. Apparently, that was the origination of this virus.

As i understood it, the virus was engineered to attack drug resistant bacteria, for some reason the beta version they injected into a sick Rasmus works, but the version they seed into the clouds for general release proves to be deadly. It's not implicit whether his was the intention all along, but we do see the phone message from Sven to Simone's dad where he says he has made his way to the apollen headquarters in Sweden, and urges Fredrick to join him, at this point he appears genuinely panicking, as if the outcome has taken him by surprise.

Presumably Apollen haven't been entirely honest about their role in the outbreak as they appear to have been given carte blanche to do what they want within the quarantine zone including murder, false imprisonment, and using innocent people as medical guinea pigs.

On 07 May 2018 at 3:10 AM, CarpeFelis said:

And then there’s the father himself. So he let Apollon think they were dead all these years to protect them from becoming test subjects... I can totally buy that. But then at the end he pulls a gun and refuses to let them leave? Suddenly he no longer cares about protecting his kids, or that Rasmus would be killed to obtain a vaccine? W. T. F?!

He realises that the virus has mutated and Rasmus is infectious, hence there's nothing he can do to save Rasmus, (except he hints to Simone that there might be something he could do if he had more time, obviously there has to be some possible get out clause here or the survivor group will just be keeping Rasmus alive to no end)

On 06 May 2018 at 11:42 PM, Txmomof2 said:

It isn't clear why Beatrice died, which is obviously significant, i think you may be onto something WRT the morphine, maybe she took an overdose deliberately to avoid the unpleasant death she thought was coming her way as a result of exposure to water? she saw the pills in Rasmus' pocket earlier in the episode. Rasmus will presumably blame himself for her death even more now, thinking he probably infected her, and in his current situation, he can have no human contact with anyone, he'll be more alone than when he was in the bunker, which will be pretty tough.

They've got most of Denmark and Sweden to go at as the quarantine zone though, (roughly 16,000 square miles and 170,000 square miles respectively). presumably the focus of any second season, if commissioned, will be to 'fix' Rasmus, the only option there is to enlist the help of Denmark's Dr Mengele, Fredrick, and then to alert the outside world to what Apollen are up to, conveniently, Simone has not been given the area specific nano virus, so is the only one who could leave the zone to warn the outside world.

Edited by BasilSeal
  • Love 3

Yes? No? Not sure. I was looking forward to this show, but after reading the general opinion I'm sort of re thinking my excitement.

To be fair, if someone dragged me away from an important exam because it was going to rain, I don't know that I wouldn't have protested.

I'm sort of stupefied that they spent five whole years in the bunker. So that tablet can play music and whatever, but it can not provide information on what the weather is like outside? Denmark has things like summer and sunny days. It wouldn't rain all day every day for five years.

• Love 1

I'm still interested in the premise, even though I'm mostly annoyed by the characters. Maybe I'm biased because I am old enough to be the main cast's mother or even grandmother, but it seems unrealistic that only people under 30 survived. A couple of survivors who had more experience and maturity would make the group interactions more interesting. 

Even within the inherently unrealistic plot (a nationwide or worldwide rain kills almost everyone), there are plot elements that make me talk to the TV. Why didn't the group stay in the bunker that Simone led them to? It apparently had been unused and therefore should have enough food, water, and other supplies for this small group to live safely for at least a couple of years. Also, where was the water they were distilling coming from? I'll handwave that one of this ragtag group knew how to distill water, but wouldn't all water that came from outside sources be contaminated with the virus? I don't think you can distill a virus out of water, but I could be wrong. Maybe they got the water from sealed containers that never came in contact with the rain, or maybe they are drinking their urine, but I'd like the show to give some clue to how they are finding usable water since water is so crucial to survival.  

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Paloma said:

I'm still interested in the premise, even though I'm mostly annoyed by the characters. Maybe I'm biased because I am old enough to be the main cast's mother or even grandmother, but it seems unrealistic that only people under 30 survived. A couple of survivors who had more experience and maturity would make the group interactions more interesting. 

Even within the inherently unrealistic plot (a nationwide or worldwide rain kills almost everyone), there are plot elements that make me talk to the TV. Why didn't the group stay in the bunker that Simone led them to? It apparently had been unused and therefore should have enough food, water, and other supplies for this small group to live safely for at least a couple of years. Also, where was the water they were distilling coming from? I'll handwave that one of this ragtag group knew how to distill water, but wouldn't all water that came from outside sources be contaminated with the virus? I don't think you can distill a virus out of water, but I could be wrong. Maybe they got the water from sealed containers that never came in contact with the rain, or maybe they are drinking their urine, but I'd like the show to give some clue to how they are finding usable water since water is so crucial to survival.  

Just pretend it isn't the rain or it will snap your disbelief in every single scene. 

Edited by Pindrop
  • Love 1
(edited)

My big issue that I can’t get over is that the water is so dangerous that you can’t even step in a puddle, plus it rains every night, so why doesn’t getting dirty kill them (like when Rasmus and Simone were dragged back into the bunker)? Or just touching damp leaves and grass when hiking through the dense forests? I think it would have been more believable if there was just the initial rain event maybe lasting a year or two.

I am enjoying this overall, but some of it is just too unbelievable and some of the characters’ actions are so dumb/annoying.

Edited by mntnsrck79
  • Love 2

I just came here to ask ---

Couldn't all those people just have stayed in their cars until the rain stopped? Driven into a parking garage? Driven to wherever it isn't raining?

That said, I like the actress playing Simone so I will watch some more.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, zibnchy said:

Couldn't all those people just have stayed in their cars until the rain stopped? Driven into a parking garage? Driven to wherever it isn't raining?

They could have stayed in their cars (assuming it stopped raining in a reasonable amount of time) or stayed under cover elsewhere (again, for a reasonable amount of time), but I'm sure panic kicked in as soon as people started getting sick and dying. They didn't know the cause so probably figured it was best to run, even if they didn't know where was safe. 

I know it would have been hard to show Simone and her brother aging gradually, but one problem with the big time jump is that you don't see how long the rain went on and what happened after it ended. Apparently it killed anyone who was exposed to it, but what happened to people who were inside when it started and stayed inside until it ended? I guess the answer depends on how long the rain lasted, because if it was more than a few days even people who were safe inside would gradually die of thirst and/or starvation. 

I wonder if Beatrice may be mentally ill--not just as a result of the apocalypse, but even before. She does seem manipulative and obviously a liar (to at least one of the guys, and maybe to both). Yet she can also be kind.

It was kind of cool for my husband and I to see post-apocalyptic Copenhagen. We were there last September and immediately recognized a few landmarks that we had walked by several times.

• Like 1

I fear that Beatrice is going to hurt Simone.

I hadn't been interested in Jean's character before, but his story was really tragic. He found a happy family situation and then accidentally killed the girl while trying to protect her (and himself)...shades of the last episode of MASH. (Hope that's not a spoiler, since the series ended 35 years ago.)

We are watching this in the original language, with subtitles (not the dubbed English version that is apparently the default), and noticed that Martin and Simone spoke to the Strangers in English...I guess because they heard the Strangers speaking English. So are these Strangers foreigners (one guy sounded French even though he was speaking English) who are collecting uninfected people for some nefarious purpose? Or maybe even for a good purpose, such as repopulation? 

Unfortunately, we are going on vacation tomorrow to a place without Netflix access, so we will have to wait a couple of weeks to see the rest of the episodes.

• Love 1