Type keyword(s) to search

Seasons 1 & 2 Discussion

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Laurie4H said:

Can you really at 50 years old (is that the age they are supposed to be?) not get over someone you dated when your were 17?  Seems a bit far fetched.  Did they mention how Daniels dad passed away?  They mention he was sick but that was it.

It depends.  I'm close in age to the main protagonists and there's someone I loved dearly and thought I'd end up marrying.  It didn't work out and I've missed him ever since - even though I've dated other guys since.  I wasn't a teenager like Johnny was, but the love and loss was real enough to my heart. 

Did they mention how Daniels dad passed away?  They mention he was sick but that was it.

Yes, Daniel's father died when he was about age 8.  

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 2

It's funny.  I was not a huge fan of the movie, but I am LOVING this series.  I finished the first two seasons last night and cannot wait for season 3.  And damn, Johnny Lawrence grew into a very attractive man.

• Love 12
On 9/2/2020 at 1:18 PM, magicdog said:

depends.  I'm close in age to the main protagonists and there's someone I loved dearly and thought I'd end up marrying.  It didn't work out and I've missed him ever since - even though I've dated other guys since.  I wasn't a teenager like Johnny was, but the love and loss was real enough to my heart. 

Keep in mind that Johnny's life peaked massively in high school and then pretty much crashed dramatically while still there. So I can see him tying the time he was with Ali to the only time when his life was really going great and that really messing with his head.

• Love 6

Loved this! So nostalgic, without being overly cheesy (but still the perfect amount of "Karate Kid" cheese).

One thing that really bothered me for some reason was Daniel's son *insert Daniel-san joke here*. The kid had an obvious issue with food, and was a complete disrespectful shit on the regular, and the parents all but ignored him. I would think Daniel would try a little harder to whip him into shape, but why worry about your own son when someone else's son (with an equally horrific foofy hair-don't) has Miyagi Do potential?! It just didn't fit, and while I imagine they'll do something with him in upcoming seasons, he was completely unnecessary in the first two. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, CeceliaBedelia said:

Totally agree.  Daniel especially seems almost annoyed by his existence.

6 hours ago, CaliforniaLove said:

Loved this! So nostalgic, without being overly cheesy (but still the perfect amount of "Karate Kid" cheese).

One thing that really bothered me for some reason was Daniel's son *insert Daniel-san joke here*. The kid had an obvious issue with food, and was a complete disrespectful shit on the regular, and the parents all but ignored him. I would think Daniel would try a little harder to whip him into shape, but why worry about your own son when someone else's son (with an equally horrific foofy hair-don't) has Miyagi Do potential?! It just didn't fit, and while I imagine they'll do something with him in upcoming seasons, he was completely unnecessary in the first two. 

This is why I've posted here that even though it might be difficult, I would have zero problem if the show just wrote out the Anthony character as though he never existed.  So far, he hasn't been pertinent to any plots or scenes (that I can recall), so do it show!  The character hasn't added anything to the show so far except to annoy the viewers, so reward us by getting rid of this bratty, useless character.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

My husband and I started this show about 2 weeks ago....just finished up season 2 last night, this show is sooo much more than I expected!  Yeah there were some parts that we had to suspend our disbelief but still very well written, and who would have ever thought I would be rooting for Jonny/Cobra Kai lol.  The character of Jonny is so well written and I just want to reach through the TV and give him a hug.  I also hope beyond hope that Miguel is ok...this show doesn't shy away from the dark side sometimes but I just hope they don't go there.  Can't wait for season 3

• Love 5

I'm giving this a whirl finally. I don't have the childhood cache because I was a little young for the movie demo and didn't see it until a few years later. 

I do enjoy the subtle humor injected here and there. The 80s rock is great too. 

However, I'm not sure that watching dudes older than me who haven't gotten past high school is that much of a draw. I don't know how old the characters are (they look great), but these guys are in their 50s.

After two episodes, that's a bit of a knee jerk reaction and certainly in expecting the show to evolve from there. It's not costing me anything to watch the show. 

I really didn't have a bad HS experience overall. It was a small school, so a lot of those kids of movies back then and now don't really resonate. Like, I don't know anyone like that. 

I do agree that 'flipping' the characters is the right narrative choice. Although I can get that he was somewhat of a victim himself, I also done know if I care that much. It feels kind of tacked on. I'm hoping that's addressed more because it's interesting on paper at least. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic

I do quite like Miguel and had a huge laugh that he changed his ring tone to Ratt. 

tbh, I don't really have a problem seeing a bunch of bullies get theirs either. I just don't know if that's a sustainable plot over a TV show v movie. 

I also think the clips of the movie are kind of a good internal monologue device. To be fair, Daniel got the shit kicked out of him, and I can understand there's lingering issues. 

Daniel's wife is kind of stealing her scenes. She's getting killer lines. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 3

I'm not sure we needed a sympathetic origin story for Johnny. Sometimes people are just assholes. That doesn't mean they can't change. 

Johnny and Miguel are working off each other really well. I know the un-PC stuff is not meant to be funny, but Miguel's reactions kill me. And Johnny was right - the mini golf/arcade was a way better choice for a Date!NotDate. The observatory was way trying too hard. 

I can certainly see why the Cobra Kai organization would incur penalties from back then. A lifetime ban, however, given that the organization itself ceased to exist at some point, seems a bit much. Daniel being way arrogant too about it didn't really wash with me. It's not ooc per se, but it felt a little shoehorned. 

Also, it's been over 40 years.

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 3
On 9/3/2020 at 12:32 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

Keep in mind that Johnny's life peaked massively in high school and then pretty much crashed dramatically while still there. So I can see him tying the time he was with Ali to the only time when his life was really going great and that really messing with his head.

That's fair to a point. It didn't help his mentor basically turned on him too. 

However, that doesn't really excuse being a deadbeat parent (I'm on 1-8, so I don't know if that's addressed). I don't really know anyone irl who 'peaked in high school' though I'll concede there's probably some truth to the trope, but you're in your 50s or pushing 50. At some point you have to grow up. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

However, that doesn't really excuse being a deadbeat parent (I'm on 1-8, so I don't know if that's addressed). I don't really know anyone irl who 'peaked in high school' though I'll concede there's probably some truth to the trope, but you're in your 50s or pushing 50. At some point you have to grow up. 

It will get addressed a bit in Season 2 when Johnny and Miguel have a heart to heart at a burger joint.  There are people who peak in HS - but it's in part due to the culture created by [the public school system].  People are put into categories (nerd, jock, etc.) and some need to either live up to them or reject and be something THEY want to be not how their peers label them.  Johnny came from a wealthy background (after his mother married stepdad Sid) so expectations were laid down.   Then that world came crashing down after losing the tournament in KK1 and he had no real guidance or direction since.  It's true you have to grow up, but I've run into plenty of adults who still behave like they're teens or 20 somethings and don't mature emotionally.  I've posted in the work forum about one of my bosses who is an 8th grade mean girl in a 45 year old body!

• Love 3

I am absolutely loving this show right now. Ralph Macchio was my first movie crush so those movies have a special place in my heart. I have finished season one and am disappointed that they made Miguel into such a jerk. What I did love is Johnny’s realization that he’s harbored the same toxic environment  that Kreese had when Hawk and Miguel fought dirty.
Robby is a dead ringer for Ryder Strong and it keeps freaking me out. I am hoping that him and Johnny somehow make amends in season 2, but I’m already dreading the obvious triangle between Miguel, Sam and Robby. 

Johnny and Daniel’s scenes are the highlights of this show, along with Daniel’s wife. She is such a great character.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I do like the bit of revisionist history Johnny had about the movie. 

Yeah, it was interesting that Daniel and Johnny had different views of what happened that night at the school on Halloween. I appreciated that Show had us think there could be another (valid?) POV.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, twoods said:

Robby is a dead ringer for Ryder Strong

Not the first to make that comparison!  Some have also compared him physically to the late Jonathan Brandis.  

34 minutes ago, twoods said:

am disappointed that they made Miguel into such a jerk.

Don't worry, he gets better in Season 2!

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Yes thank you! I knew he reminded me of someone else besides Ryder Strong but couldn’t pinpoint it. I loved Jonathan Brandis and this actor’s facial expressions mirrors Jonathan’s more than Ryder. I have also seen he’s done some other projects recently. He’s a pretty talented actor.

• Love 3

I just caught up via Netflix. Having worked at a high school on the other side of the hill if something like that gang fighting broke out you try to lock your class in and call 911. The valley, assuming a real life LAUSD school  would have uniformed school police on campus but a LAPD tactical alert would be needed to put that down. Over the years similar fighting, by untrained students,  have broken out on occasion around the Southland 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, magicdog said:

It will get addressed a bit in Season 2 when Johnny and Miguel have a heart to heart at a burger joint.  There are people who peak in HS - but it's in part due to the culture created by [the public school system].  People are put into categories (nerd, jock, etc.) and some need to either live up to them or reject and be something THEY want to be not how their peers label them.  Johnny came from a wealthy background (after his mother married stepdad Sid) so expectations were laid down.   Then that world came crashing down after losing the tournament in KK1 and he had no real guidance or direction since.  It's true you have to grow up, but I've run into plenty of adults who still behave like they're teens or 20 somethings and don't mature emotionally.  I've posted in the work forum about one of my bosses who is an 8th grade mean girl in a 45 year old body!

I don't know if it's fair to lay that all down on the public school. Like I said, I went and that just didn't happen. I'll concede there's some truth to it, but Johnny did have what looked like a steady job at the opening, and adult enough. I think it's must a little much laying his life choices to a karate match in HS. 

I'm liking the show, but I think it's a fair criticism. I don't think we needed the origin story of Sid either. 

3 hours ago, norcalgal said:

Yeah, it was interesting that Daniel and Johnny had different views of what happened that night at the school on Halloween. I appreciated that Show had us think there could be another (valid?) POV.

'Defended myself'. Daniel was a stick. It's not like he's throwing punches like Tyson. 

What I did like was that he still considered Ali 'his girl' which is wrong on a lot of levels in general, but the whole thing started because she had moved on by then and that didn't either get communicated right or he was too arrogant to accept reality. 

• Love 2

Please tell me I didn't see that the sweet Cobra Kai Challenger is an automatic transmission and not a stick. 

I liked the water wheel / cement truck scene in S2E2, but they're laying on a little thick. 

All right, if this season is going to be 50s dudes who can't move past high school with their rival karate gyms, I don't know how long I'm going to last. Kreese is a bore and a boor. 

What's saving it so far is the wife calling bs on everything. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, magicdog said:

It will get addressed a bit in Season 2 when Johnny and Miguel have a heart to heart at a burger joint. 

This was a good scene, but it was motivated more by Kreese taunting Johnny that Daniel was going to scoop Miguel, so I'm having difficulty how genuine he was. 

Also, conceding Johnny's issues with his mother passing, it doesn't address his absence in the ensuing 16 years. 

HASHBROWN COBRA KAI

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 3

My husband immediately started watching this when it first came out and absolutely loved it. We are both children of the 80's so the movies were a huge part of our growing up. In addition the hubs had some trouble fitting in during our High School years, he started practicing Aikido and thru it found purpose and a community. So The Karate Kid has alway had double the nostalgia for him. Recently,  thanks to Netflix we watched the 3 original movies with our kids and they loved them. This prompted my husband to think that we could have our son watch the show.....so here I am binge watching so I can sign off on approval. 

I'm on episode 7 and I'm having a bit of an issue with the show so far. The movies made it very apparent that Daniel was the hero but here I'm very conflicted with his character. So far all I see is a petulant, petty middle aged man who can't seem to let go of his glory days even though his present life seems to be pretty great. Johnny is no longer his problem but yet Daniel feels the need to police and continue to punish him regardless. I had a HUGE issue with Daniel manipulating the landlord to increase the rent on his building just to try and get rid of Johnny. First off because its one thing to want to prevent Johnny from teaching the old Cobra Kai ideology to kids but to also in the process leave Johnny without any income (and yeah he doesn't seem to need much except beer but still). Second and worst of all was that not only was Johnny affected by the rent increase but any other tenants in the building (as noted by the guy working at the convenience store). Daniel could have substantially affected the financial livelihood of who knows how many families....all to get revenge on Johnny. I find that to be a bit deplorable. It seems like Daniel is willing to go incredibly low and fight very dirty.....stooping to the same level if not worse than anything that happened in High School (especially since these are now grown men not teenagers).

I guess I just don't fully understand who I am supposed to root for and against on this show. 

• Love 5

From what I've watched, I think that's the point. It's starting to grate.

I doubt revisiting this particular universe would have had legs if they just rehashed the movie formula. I would bet the actors wouldn't want to have signed on unless there was more story to it. 

12 hours ago, nomodrama said:

[snip]

I guess I just don't fully understand who I am supposed to root for and against on this show. 

I believe that's deliberate on the part of the Show. In the films, it's pretty clear cut that Daniel is the hero and Johnny is the villain. And that works fine for a 1.5 to 2 hour film. When doing a tv series, the producers/writers/etc. have the capability of showing more nuance, shades of gray and differing POVs. This is speculation on my part since I didn't read/hear anything from the Show saying this was planned on their part... 

• Love 8

That's what I most love about the show - everyone is grey areas. The hero is just as easily the villain, and vice versa. Just like in real life.  I have rooted for every character at some point, and the show really keeps you thinking because of it.

I actually want them to expand on Kreese's motives in a more grey way too. I don't want him being the man-in-black bad guy when everyone else gets so much more characterization.

• Love 5

I'm enjoying Robby this 2nd season. He seems way chill. For me, I'm seeing Miyagi-do is a good influence and having one adult in his life that gives two shits is healthy. 

I'm crossing my fingers he's not looking to hook up with Sam. 

I'm rolling my eyes a little at Tory With A Y though. She's a bad girl! Who steals vodka! 

I'm not particularly interested in Kreese's garbage. Breaking some mouthy 15 y/o most doesn't strike me as compelling, though I'll concede I appreciate Johnny developing some insight to follow him. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 1

I get the point of Demetri as a character, and I liked that he got the point of painting the fence. Oh boy the mouth. Part of painting the fence is keeping quiet too. 

We saved your chicken! Ha ha ha ha ha ha. 

As dumb as shit as getting into a fight in a MALL in 2020 is, I was glad to see the wheel defense pay off. 

Has Daniel been a 'thorn since high school?' Since they hadn't seen each other until Johnny went to the dealership to get his car? 

Though I'll give Johnny credit for catching on that stealing the medal was a problem. And that's really not on him since Kreese egged Hawk on. 

Daniel's accurate GoT analogies are killing me. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 1

I watched most of this yesterday, loved it. I get that they're trying to make everything 3 dimensional. In orginal KK cobra kai = bad, Daniel/Miyagi = good. There really wasn't a character arch for Johnny. I had seen the memes or theories of "Daniel was the bad guy" that premised this re-imagining of Johnny's side. I think they're working very hard at not making anyone the "villain" aside from Kreese. Daniel and Johnny have so many miscommunications, nobody is ever talking it out. Robby and Miguel both get good and bad character traits.

But sincerely, my biggest mystery is why is Johnny so obsessed with Iron Eagle? I swear it's got to be an inside joke, one of the producers or writers had to have been involved, I did look up and "Tommy" (the cobra kai that died) was in Iron Eagle. I get that he's stuck in the 80's and "karate kid" can't exist for them as far as mentor movies are concerned but did everything else cost too much? I really do love Johnny's "hashbrown" mistakes and complete lack of awareness, but I don't get Iron Eagle. (I did hate it back in the day so maybe that's why I don't get how he exalts it)

• Love 2

Iron Eagle has the world's best fighter jet in it with an 18-year-old pilot, so I could see why Johnny would like it.

In addition to Tommy/Rob Garrison being in it, the theme song of Iron Eagle is  Iron Eagle (Never Say Die) by King Kobra. So I think it's just a few little inside jokes.

Also I enjoy that it's not Top Gun he's watching which is what you'd assume any fighter jet nut would default to lol.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, nachomama said:

Daniel and Johnny have so many miscommunications, nobody is ever talking it out.

There's a fine line there though that toes the 'don't ask obvious questions because plot'. Credit to Johnny, he had an 'oh shit' look on his face about the theft of the Medal of Honor, but when he also said 'I didn't have anything to do with that (wrecking the dojo), an actual person naturally asks, 'what happened and how to do you know?'

I know there's an S3, but this dance is starting to wear thin. Given that they've never interacted at all for 30 years until now, Johnny all having a complex about Daniel in the meantime isn't really on Daniel. So what if Daniel is kind of an asshole (up to that point - jacking the rent was a dick move on Daniel's part)?

To be fair, when Johnny came over to Daniel's and his wife (Amanda?) called them both out for being idiots, Daniel invited him inside for breakfast. Johnny explained about the car and did accept that Daniel didn't have any involvement. So maybe it's going to get to a point where the wife has to step in and get it all resolved. It's not like they can't talk. There's only so much of this dance you can dance, and it's starting to repeat. 

Honestly, they both need therapy, but then there would be no show. And in the 80s therapy was karate!

2 hours ago, threebluestars said:

Iron Eagle has the world's best fighter jet in it with an 18-year-old pilot, so I could see why Johnny would like it.

And has Lou Gosset Jr. It's way better than Top Gun. Which I assume the rampant hoyay would have turned Johnny off anyway. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, nachomama said:

But sincerely, my biggest mystery is why is Johnny so obsessed with Iron Eagle? I swear it's got to be an inside joke, one of the producers or writers had to have been involved, I did look up and "Tommy" (the cobra kai that died) was in Iron Eagle. I get that he's stuck in the 80's and "karate kid" can't exist for them as far as mentor movies are concerned but did everything else cost too much? I really do love Johnny's "hashbrown" mistakes and complete lack of awareness, but I don't get Iron Eagle. (I did hate it back in the day so maybe that's why I don't get how he exalts it)

I think the reason they used Iron Eagle is that it's one of those movies that you probably won't know or appreciate unless you had been a kid/teenager in the 80s.  I've never seen it but my husband (we were both born in the early 80s) was super excited when they showed it in the show since he had watched it several times as a kid.  Something along the lines of Top Gun has fans that are more likely to span generations so it's not so much of a callback for original fans of the Karate Kid.

Anyway, am I the only one who had to watch this series through twice (watched each season when it first came out, then just re-watched both seasons when Netflix added them) to realize that Robbie is probably supposed to be named after Bobby, the one "good" member of the original Cobra Kai?  I was re-watching the episode with Bobby and Tommy and it all of a sudden clicked, "Ah, Johnny named his son after his least dickish friend.  Makes sense."

I love the character of Amanda and while I know it wouldn't be nearly as exciting of a show but I feel like if she sat the two of them down a lot of the problems would be solved, but once again that would be kind of boring and then what would we do....other than watch Iron Eagle and hashbrown Cobra Kai lol.  It was also bugging me that I knew I had seen the actress who plays Amanda somewhere but couldn't place it, finally had to look her up on IMDB and she was Sheldons sister on BBT, which explains why I couldn't place her, she had a Texas accent on that show.

My biggest frusteration with season 2 is how Robby was all "these Cobra Kai kids can't change" but he should understand wanting to change and making the change better than any of them...just saying show them a little grace.

Also I know I shouldn't want to but I wanted to kick Demetri's butt....I mean that kid just bugs....and he went too far with the bedwetting announcement.  Not that I think he should have had as much of a beat down as he did but even I wanted to hit him....

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, TigerLily20 said:

I love the character of Amanda and while I know it wouldn't be nearly as exciting of a show but I feel like if she sat the two of them down a lot of the problems would be solved, but once again that would be kind of boring and then what would we do....

No, I know because there wouldn't be a show either. My observation of the scene was that the guys can level with one another, so if the show is going to some resolution, I think she's going to have to be critical to it. I just wonder if the show is stretching out plot too thin for the sake of nostalgia. 

For someone who just got a phone, Johnny can sure text. I have zero problems with dating apps, but I did like like that it was the old bar trick that worked. 

I'm liking the 80s theme of E8 though. It's a little bit of a break from everything. 

1 hour ago, TigerLily20 said:

I love the character of Amanda and while I know it wouldn't be nearly as exciting of a show but I feel like if she sat the two of them down a lot of the problems would be solved, but once again that would be kind of boring and then what would we do....other than watch Iron Eagle and hashbrown Cobra Kai lol.  It was also bugging me that I knew I had seen the actress who plays Amanda somewhere but couldn't place it, finally had to look her up on IMDB and she was Sheldons sister on BBT, which explains why I couldn't place her, she had a Texas accent on that show.

My biggest frusteration with season 2 is how Robby was all "these Cobra Kai kids can't change" but he should understand wanting to change and making the change better than any of them...just saying show them a little grace.

Also I know I shouldn't want to but I wanted to kick Demetri's butt....I mean that kid just bugs....and he went too far with the bedwetting announcement.  Not that I think he should have had as much of a beat down as he did but even I wanted to hit him....

I think Robby feels this way about the Cobra Kai kids because of the fight at the mall and the vandalism of Miyagi-do.  So Robby does have a valid point about how "these Cobra Kai kids can't change".

As for Demetri, I think he fought back in the only way he knew how - with words. Hawk has proven to be a far superior martial artist, so Demetri knew he couldn't fight back/stand up for himself in a physical confrontation. So he went the verbal confrontation route - which seems very in character since he seems to be quite talky.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, nachomama said:

why is Johnny so obsessed with Iron Eagle?

There's also a personal real life reason - Zabka's father co-directed the film.

4 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

My observation of the scene was that the guys can level with one another, so if the show is going to some resolution, I think she's going to have to be critical to it. I just wonder if the show is stretching out plot too thin for the sake of nostalgia. 

I do hope it gets resolved by Season 3.  They may not have to be best buddies, but by now, Daniel and Johnny should be pushing their past issues aside.  We've seen that they can be civil to one another when circumstances allow.  The show is definitely stretching this a bit thin.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, magicdog said:

There's also a personal real life reason - Zabka's father co-directed the film.

Boom goes the dynamite. That's exactly why. Although checking out daddy's credits I expect Johnny to have a fondness for "Girls just Wanna have Fun" next season. :D That's the safest thing you'll every have between your legs reference or some such.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, norcalgal said:

I think Robby feels this way about the Cobra Kai kids because of the fight at the mall and the vandalism of Miyagi-do.  So Robby does have a valid point about how "these Cobra Kai kids can't change". 

I'm sure it will come out that Miguel returned the medal at some point. Credit to Robby that he wasn't all jerkish to hook at the rink. And he seemed to know the beef was with just the girls. 

8 hours ago, magicdog said:

I do hope it gets resolved by Season 3.  They may not have to be best buddies, but by now, Daniel and Johnny should be pushing their past issues aside.  We've seen that they can be civil to one another when circumstances allow.  The show is definitely stretching this a bit thin.

I mean, I can suspend my disbelief enough to enjoy the show. I don't know why they have to be friends at all though. I think the show made a narrative misstep in that this was the first time they crossed paths in so long. Had they been back and forth more over the years and now, enough is enough, then I think the premise has more heft. 

Inside reference aside, Iron Eagle totally fits his character and I didn't question there was some Easter egg about it. 

• Love 1

That season two finale was brutal. This was such a fun show then the last few episodes it got very dark, especially with the kids. I honestly don’t know how Robby can come back from this. He’s a good kid and made a mistake, and poor Miguel. Tory is one messed up, angry kid and she better get expelled. 
Poor Johnny can never get a win for very long. I hope him and Danny team up to get rid of Kreese in season three. I also don’t understand why they made Demetri and Hawk so unlikable this season. I’m sure there is some sort of redemption arc for Hawk but I hate seeing him be such a bully.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, marinw said:

A good follow-up film to CK is 2019's The Art Of Self-Defence, which was streaming on Canada's Crave the last time I checked. Much darker than CK, but it has many of the same themes.

LOL, much, much, much darker.

• Love 1

Amanda is fantastic. I mean, come on, the restaurant has the only two tables. So she pulls right off 'oh they have warring dojos - get me all the margaritas in your restaurant please.' But again, I think I'm correct in my assertion that Amanda is key to whatever resolution they're going for. 

Credit to Johnny for being clear about pushing Kreese away. 

Whoa Moon/Piper unexpected. I loved the Doctor Who conversation, but Hawk is getting exhausting. 

I also like that Robby and Miguel aren't getting into the girls' bs. Miguel looked positively *tired*. 

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, threebluestars said:

I loved the warring karate dojos line, because you know she's fully aware of how ridiculous it is and sounds. Almost like if you say it out loud maybe the boys will suddenly realize how stupid they're being. But they won't, so bring booze ... "big glass!" lol.

And then the waitress heard the news about the school riot and it wasn't so funny anymore. The police never showed up in the franchise before that I remember but I don't see how the community could ignore what just went down in season 3. I could see a lawyer telling Carmen that she now owns LaRusso Motors 

21 hours ago, twoods said:

That season two finale was brutal. This was such a fun show then the last few episodes it got very dark, especially with the kids. I honestly don’t know how Robby can come back from this. He’s a good kid and made a mistake, and poor Miguel. Tory is one messed up, angry kid and she better get expelled. 
Poor Johnny can never get a win for very long. I hope him and Danny team up to get rid of Kreese in season three. I also don’t understand why they made Demetri and Hawk so unlikable this season. I’m sure there is some sort of redemption arc for Hawk but I hate seeing him be such a bully.

Yeah, I would think she would be expelled considering:

1) the whole school heard over the PA the scuffle between Tory & the girl giving the announcement ("You're not supposed to be in here!  Argh, crash, boom!)

2) the whole school heard over the PA Tory making a threat against Sam ("I'm coming for you!")

3) the school fight where Tory used a weapon (the spiked bracelet/cuff)

But since I believe Tory is returning in Season 3, I'm sure the show will handwave a way for Tory to return to the SAME school with the kid WHO SHE THREATENED!