Type keyword(s) to search

Money Heist (La Casa De Papel) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Did anyone else watch this?  I just got through binging it so it's fresh in my mind. 

This was probably one of the most bingeable shows I've watched on Netflix.  Part of it might be because of the way they broke up the original episodes so the reason it felt like one episode flowed into the next is largely because it may have been part of the same episode in its original airing.

There were so many riveting aspects and so many cheesy aspects.  Like all the sex, including two people with bullet holes getting romantic.  Like how love conquers morals.  And how I think one of the people shot and was treated but they treated the opposite shoulder to where he was shost.

But it definitely had all the elements of fun caper shows.  And it had Pedro Alonso as Berlin, who was another character, like his character Diego in Gran Hotel (which I discovered after-the-fact) who I know I should like but who I just love watching. 

• Love 3

I just binged the crap out of this and fucking loved it. I'll have to give it some time and rewatch more closely, probably around the time season 3 comes out. But I have to say, my absolute favorite part was Sr. Torres and his total devotion and loyalty to Nairobi. He's such a small character but every scene he's in is so rewarding.

• Love 2
On 5/7/2018 at 11:00 AM, Redcookie said:

Loved it. Chomping at the bit until Season 2 came out. I hadn't heard about a Season 3. Is that confirmed? Not sure how a Season 3 would work.

It's confirmed.  In the media thread, there's an link to an article with the announcement. 

I can't believe there isn't more discussion! This show popped up as a suggestion and once I got past the lips and words not matching (I didn't know going in that it was filmed in Spanish, though they did a fantastic job with the dubbing), I was hooked! It reminded me a lot of Ocean's 11, but darker.

I just finished and am overall very satisfied. It was hokey at times, but looking past the tendency to fall madly in love with someone in the space of 1-2 days, it was very smart. I loved trying to figure out how the professor had anticipated this move, and that move, and the next one. 

The clowns were definitely one of the most enjoyable moments because no one could see that coming! Genius! And that's finally what tipped the scales for Raquel. Poor Raquel. I'm still judging her a bit for her decisions. 

Were the professor and Berlin brothers or something? I feel like maybe I missed something along the way about their relationship. 

I would've loved a quite little montage of where they all were 365 days later. Maybe S3 will clear that up. I need to go read and see what that's supposed to entail. 

• Love 2
On 5/29/2018 at 9:56 AM, Squirrely said:

Were the professor and Berlin brothers or something? I feel like maybe I missed something along the way about their relationship. 

Yup! Same mom, different dads

• Love 3

How did you decide that?  I know that they knew each other outside of the heist because of the private conversation at the table at the manor where they used names, and I know one (Berlin, I think) referred to the other (the Professor) as "little brother" at the end.  That could have been just a term of affection but I assume it was literal.  But I would have guessed they had the same father since this was executed as a tribute to the Professor's father, rather than the same mother.  Did I miss that somewhere?

Do you think the hostages all got their cut of the $$ a year later?

• Love 1
9 hours ago, bigmag said:

How did you decide that? 

I can't speak for the other poster but I do believe they used different last names. Given the way names sometimes are in Spain, that could also mean different moms which would make sense since the talk about the professor's father focused on the fact that he was the professor's father.

9 hours ago, bigmag said:

Do you think the hostages all got their cut of the $$ a year later?

When they flashed forward to one year later, I really wished we would have seen money being delivered instead of focusing on the professor and Raquel.

(edited)

I also wondered about Raquel's mother and daughter.  Before she knew that her boyfriend was the Professor and they were talking about going away she said they would have to take her mother and daughter and he agreed.  But in the end when she went to look for him it appeared that she was alone.  More romantic that way, I guess, but kind of an inconsistency.  Nonetheless, I really enjoyed this series.

Edited by bigmag
On 5/5/2018 at 6:31 PM, Irlandesa said:

It looks like Money Heist was the most watched non-English language show for Netflix and they're giving it a third season.

http://deadline.com/2018/04/money-heist-la-casa-de-papel-netflix-season-3-date-alvaro-morte-1202366840/

Since the first two parts wrapped up nicely, I wonder what they'll do for a third season.  And why.

What & why: fan service. There's already everything the tv show needs in the first two seasons. I think they will focus on the characters before the heist (the relationship between the professor and Berlin, for instance), because that's the only thing we don't know much about. Maybe some extra "1 year later" scenes as well. Anyway, I don't expect something as good as the first seasons, I don't know how they could make it great.

On 10/4/2018 at 11:06 AM, Mnaelil said:

Maybe some extra "1 year later" scenes as well. Anyway, I don't expect something as good as the first seasons, I don't know how they could make it great.

And I am sure that the third season will be as interesting as 1 and 2. I think a new robbery will be organized there, which can then lead to even more tragic consequences. I look forward to teasers!😵

hey, why no one is watching here? I didn't like season 3. Spoilers - The Bella Ciao saved it a bit but not enough. The ending of season 2 was great. Berlin's exit and his character worked so great. I really missed seeing him alive. In the flashbacks he seems different.. I like his cold, calculating yet crazy mind during the heist. Honestly, we're left with the most boring or annoying and stupid characters. They have no "brains" inside this time. There was no tension. I wonder how it ends because frankly "I don't give a damn" about the couples at all.

3 minutes ago, tabularasa said:

hey, why no one is watching here?

wow, I think you just reminded me that I stopped half way through. Now I did have several big trips in that time frame, but I've been back a month now and totally forgot

Just discovered this show. Mostly binged and about 3 eps left.

I can't believe no one in the US knows that this show exists. I tried looking up recaps and reviews on YouTube which I usually like to do after watching shows that I am into but there were almost none. Sigh.

Edited by Potanical Pardon

I just started watching, nearly finished Season 1, after reading a review in the Guardian.
It's starting to grow on me - it's different from the UK or Scandi imports I usually like.  I think there was an  American re-make a few years ago? They wore pig masks, I think? I recall I watched a few episodes and got bored.

Looking forward to bingeing the next seasons! Good to have something to watch during this corvid lock down.

• Love 1

Enjoyed Part 4 more than Part 3

Spoiler

Really going to miss Nairobi. Palermo bores me. Sierra is totally going to join the team. Her name's already a location.

Why'd it have to be Nairobi? Rio and Tokyo are consistently the most wildcard useless ones.

• Love 1

This show has become a worldwide phenomenon. When you finish watching Season 4, stay tuned for the Behind the Scenes documentary about it. Turns out that it was placed on the back burner, close to the trash can after Season 2 but became a huge hit when Netflix started airing it. I love it; it’s like a wild ride and you need to fasten your seatbelt.

(edited)

I am on Season 1: Episode 3. Wow---Money Heist has been popular and hot enough to have 4 seasons. I am here after watching Ozark (which I got so into and finished through Season 3--can't wait for S4). I definitely am getting into Money Heist and to see how it all boils down, if it does. Yikes!😲

Money-Heist-Characters.jpg

fb_image_5afd42708f663.jpg

Edited by latincoffee

Don't get it. why this superb series doesn't get its own section?

Just finish watching Season 4 and it really mindblowing. The whole season is very well executed especially the last 2 episode... 

Tokyo and Rio surprisingly my least favorite character, with Denver character has developed so well. Adding Stockholm and Lisbon also a very cool addition. Helsinki, Bogota, Manila, I love them. Palermo growing on me. Don't let me start on Nairobi.. 

And please just kill off Arturo's character. I know the producer want to keep Arturo for comic relief and said that he showed the inner man of some people that experiencing those situation. the worst just come out of them. But who will rape people in the middle of a heist? that is too much.

• Love 6
On 4/13/2020 at 9:44 AM, Zend1214 said:

Just finish watching Season 4 and it really mindblowing. The whole season is very well executed especially the last 2 episode... 

Tokyo and Rio surprisingly my least favorite character, with Denver character has developed so well. Adding Stockholm and Lisbon also a very cool addition. Helsinki, Bogota, Manila, I love them. Palermo growing on me. Don't let me start on Nairobi.. I also

I completely agree with the comments above.  Rio and Tokyo bore me, and I have no idea why the writers decided that Tokyo would be a good choice for captain.  Neither of those characters do it for me, so one-dimensional.
Sierra, now, she's on fire!  I'd love to see Sierra join the gang!

I just binged all four seasons in less than a week, guess that's one benefit of this "work from home" times!

I've been seeing Money Heist pop up on my Netflix for quite a while now, but didn't give it a shot until now.  The show is riveting and addictive.  Obviously sad to see main characters die, but it would be unrealistic to see all of them make it out alive.  At least Berlin's and (to a lesser degree) Moscow's characters live on in flashbacks.  I would expect Nairobi to be a presence in future seasons as well.

Unlike some of the previous comments above, I like Tokyo a lot.  She's obviously the main female protagonist.  She's a badass, and as Denver says, a Maserati.  She's not my usual type, but I find her sexy and her confidence is through the roof.  I could watch her all day.

Sierra seems much tougher than Raquel was in the same role.  She has a cold steely side that Raquel never did, and that's probably why she did all the torturing herself.  I would hate to see her join the gang and I don't see how that would be even remotely possible.

Really liked that Helsinki's character was given more prominence in seasons 3 and 4, and also Bogota.  Wonder if Nairobi had lived if she would have tried for Bogota's 8th baby or if she would have taken the Professor's sperm.

Confused re Stockholm.  I guess the writers just want to show her continuing to build strength and confidence, which necessitated breaking up with Denver.  But right after Nairobi died and she went down to the gold and started bossing the workers around - it just felt forced. 

Confused about Matias and his exact role.  Can't remember when we saw him in the flashbacks, what was his exact connection?  And if they had Manila as an undercover hostage, why the need for Matias?

I also can't stand Arturo Roman.  I wish he would just die.  He is supposed to be the comedic relief, but he's just too over the top.  But like any character that we're supposed to hate, we know that he's not going to go away.

I was disappointed that the heist wasn't wrapped up in season 4 and now we have to wait for the next season.  Since I was bingeing and just hitting "next episode", I had no idea where I was in terms of episode number, and thus was surprised when it just ended and there was no next episode to watch.  Not sure if it's already all been filmed, or if there is going to be a delay now because of Covid-19.  I'm guessing it hasn't been filmed yet but I haven't done the research.  I'm wondering if this means there is no new heist for season 5?  Presumably at the very least, season 5 would have to be spent escaping Sierra and getting the gang out of the bank.  Then perhaps season 6 could start a new heist but that would be continued (assuming the series goes on).

• Love 1

This show keeps me riveted. I love how it connects and people turn up, it really does feel like a game of chess. I thought this was the final part so I'm happy to know there is more to come. I agree with posters upthread who preferred Part 4 to Part 3. Part 3 spent too much time on characters that did not interest me, put it like that. 

I absolutely loved

Spoiler

the little picnic scene with lost characters. It confused me when it first turned up, timelines are rather fluid on this show, and then was suddenly pushed into place in such a quiet moment. 

Moments where things click, either in my head or for the characters, really make the show for me.

Glad to see some comments in this thread. 

• Love 1

I both feel very late to the Money Heist party and also ahead of the curve - how are both possible?! I found it while searching for a good foreign Netflix series after devouring Lupin. I loved both, very much. Season 4 of this just felt like pedal to the metal every moment in ways that were both unbelievable and exhausting, but still fun to watch. I'm going to miss the hell out of Nairobi. She was my favorite character by miles.

• Love 1
(edited)

We have dates! The first part of season 5 will air on September 3rd and the second part on December 3rd. The trailer is explosive. I like it. I'm hoping that it ends in a high note and not follow the trend of shows lately that completely ruin everything with their last season.

Edited by akiss

I thought ending at 2 would have made sense.

I loved the ending after that first two seasons in the Royal Mint. I hope 5 pulls together seasons 3 and 4 a little bit better, because I didn't like them nearly as much and still want to know why they would drop Raquel back in the bank! It felt like such a weird ending to me.

Has anyone else tuned into season 5? I watched the first two episodes and honestly hated them. I'll probably get around to the remaining three, but I might need to take a Xanax first. It is just too much - it feels like all attempt at intrigue and plot and characterization has been lost.

On 9/10/2021 at 3:39 PM, hendersonrocks said:

Has anyone else tuned into season 5? I watched the first two episodes and honestly hated them. I'll probably get around to the remaining three, but I might need to take a Xanax first. It is just too much - it feels like all attempt at intrigue and plot and characterization has been lost.

It's over the top with a woman giving birth in the middle of all this while taking hostages.  

Also I generally don't care about the romantic entanglements of these people.

But I actually thought the last two episodes were great.  Intense and thrilling as the cops/ law enforcement try to close down around them.  

But I actually thought the last two episodes were great.  Intense and thrilling as the cops/ law enforcement try to close down around them. 

Since my post I watched episode 3 and thought it was significantly better - even with the hostage birth! - than the first two, so this gives me more hope for the rest of them. 

On 9/10/2021 at 12:39 PM, hendersonrocks said:

They've definitely amped up the violence. Episode 4 of Season 5 was almost nothing but explosions and machine gun fire, and it was not well directed. It was often difficult to figure out who was blowing up who. Gandia and the government's super commando team are like comic book villains. And it defies plausibility that the Professor's rag tag group of misfits could fight them to a standstill. One of the dumb things about this show is the idea that you can put a machine gun into anyone's hand (ie Stockholm) and they suddenly can fight like a trained commando.

Another thing that infuriates me about this show is the constant flashbacks that undermine the dramatic flow. We're into Season 5 and Berlin suddenly has a son? That whole lengthy flashback with Berlin, his son, and his pianist girlfriend stealing the Viking artifacts felt like it was from an entirely different show. The main story line was completely put on hold.

My guess is that the success of Money Heist caused the producers to keep adding flashbacks and subplots to pad out the story so they make more episodes. (I think the series was originally supposed to end with the successful heist at The Royal Mint).

Well, all that said, I'm still watching, because they've created some compelling characters and they do the cliffhanger thing very well. Presumably the five more episodes in Season Six will bring the show to a conclusion and all the plot threads will be tied up. But who knows. If there's sill an audience they could keep the thing going.

Edited by bluepiano

Money Heist has definitely become my favorite tv show since its first season. The genuine criminal mind behind the thieves (The Professor) is what makes it stand out from other tv shows. All the characters are crucial for the development of the story, but I have a special interest in two of them, Berlin and Rio. I can’t find the precise words to describe Berlin, everything he says is just mind-blowing and accurate at the same time. The fact that he sacrificed himself for the others was very shocking at first, but it makes sense considering his health issues. I love that the director decides to keep Berlin on the flashbacks to see how his sinister mind was built through the years, his whole life is a completely different tv show with a lot of interesting facts and stories. Rio is a very interesting character, since he was an innocent child, he has been a master with computers, and out of nowhere, he becomes one of the most wanted criminals by the Spanish Government.

It is nice to see how they introduce new characters to the story for different purposes and how other characters suddenly change their role. I think nobody expected Raquel to join the team and turn into “Lisboa”. Some characters are loved, and some others are hated, but I think that the most hated character by everybody is Arturo Roman, and I hope everyone agrees with this. Arturo is so annoying every time he appears, but I must admit that he brings a lot of laughs and enthusiasm to the audience. One thing I really enjoy is the music, every time they sing “Bella Ciao” I sing with them, that song has become an icon of Money Heist.

I am eagerly waiting for the fifth and apparently final season of this amazing tv show. I think that for this new season, Alicia will become the new “Tokyo” because of how crazy she is, and Rio will probably kill “Coronel Tamayo” to take revenge for Tokyo, the love of his life. Right now there are a lot of emotions and confusion of what will happen without Tokyo, who was supposed to be the main character and usually the main character never dies, and that is another aspect that makes Money Heist different from other tv shows.

• Love 1
On 9/26/2021 at 9:12 PM, bluepiano said:

One of the dumb things about this show is the idea that you can put a machine gun into anyone's hand (ie Stockholm) and they suddenly can fight like a trained commando.

Unless you're Arturo Roman. Also, the team displayed quite the case of stormtrooper aim while chasing Gandia around the bank. 

I just finished the series a couple of days ago. Many times during the first two parts I was halfway betw liking the show and hating it because of the characters and acting. I particularly disliked Arturo -- Who didn't? -- and Raquel. Oh, and Tokyo. I also thought Denver was very one-dimensional. But the plot was so much fun that I decided to just accept this.

Then by Part 3 I wasn't really minding the characters or acting (except for Arturo). I don't know if I got used to it or if anything really changed. Oh, I was also annoyed by characters talking about love and relationships while they were fighting for their lives. Another annoyance was characters standing there listening to someone (like Gandia) taunting them and trying to get under their skin. If it were me, I'd walk away. 

the team displayed quite the case of stormtrooper aim while chasing Gandia around the bank

Yup. It made sense in Parts 1 and 2 because the Professor had told them not to kill anyone. But after that, all the missed shots were ridiculous, on both sides. And when a viewer (like me) binges the series, you notice even more this stuff happening over and over.

I watched three of the documentaries about the series, and they were very interesting. In one they showed how they filmed the underwater-vault scenes. There were problems. For instance, the gold bars were actually foam painted gold, so since they were under pressure in the water, the bars basically collapsed. They replaced them, but it kept happening, so they had to fix them digitally post-production.

Surprised that there has been so little discussion of this show.  So much so that I asked for a new topic because I couldn't find this one, only to see that I actually posted up above already and had just forgotten there was a thread.

Thoughts on the series ending and finale?  Just finished last five episodes.

Genius and nice wrap up to the whole show.  I think we all knew that the Professor and gang would win in the end.  Just didn't expect that he would allow Tamayo to also "win" in the public eye.  I am surprised at how strong an opponent Tamayo became.  Much more threatening than Raquel or Sierra.  

The Tom Thumb plan was so clever.  Why however was it called Tom Thumb?  Wasn't he some dwarf that played tricks on everyone?  The plan was great with the misdirection - the burnt up nautical maps, the buoy, etc.

Loved seeing the flashback of Tokyo and the Professor dancing and the voiceover of her telling him that he would save them all, intercut with him giving himself up and walking into the bank.

So it appears that the note that the Professor gave to Sierra to give to the nephew convinced him to give up the gold.  We saw the guns drawn standoff between the gang and the nephew/Berlin's wife at the little pre-fab house where the gold was buried.  But how did it end?  The nephew was given some of the gold?  What about the wife and the rest of their crew?

Yes the nephew was given some of the gold.  His wife asked 'how do  you know he will give you your share' or something like that.  It's not stayed but I think he and the professor were in on it together all along. He did the professor a favor by taking the gold when the cops were closing in. 

It's was a decent ending I just find it hard to swallow the government would take fake gold and put it in the vault and let them have the rest.  Sure I get it, the gold is more a symbol and not actually used but there has to be protocols to periodically test and check it's actual gold, otherwise someone else would steal it easy. I thought they'd do a 50 50 split, give back half and mix in half fake stuff, in exchange for their lives. That would be more believable.  

it was an enjoyable finale and series though.  

I loved this show and even more so because it had a satisfying ending. Sooooo many shows lately are ruined because the ending sucks. The only sore spot for me is that both

Tokyo and Nairobi died. I would prefer if none of them did and someone else died instead, like Marseille, or any other of the newbies really but if one of them had to, then only Tokyo, as a full circle moment. Nairobi's death was just pointless imo.

However one of the most enjoyable shows ever. It's huge in Europe. I don't know why more people are not watching it in the US.

Season 5:  Who was Tomayo referring to when he used the name "Albuquerque?"  I couldn't find a character that went by that name.  Netflix recently added a studio in Albuquerque, so I thought management was having a little fun.