Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Lovecraft Country

Well, he could in the title for a number of reasons...  There is (obviously) a supernatural element to the goings-on, so that would tie in to the story.  There are monsters, though of the non-tentacled variety (humans).  Also, Lovecraft was apparently a virulent racist, so that would also make it relevant.

On 5/11/2018 at 11:27 AM, Yokosmom said:

Well, he could in the title for a number of reasons...  There is (obviously) a supernatural element to the goings-on, so that would tie in to the story.  There are monsters, though of the non-tentacled variety (humans).  Also, Lovecraft was apparently a virulent racist, so that would also make it relevant.

Lovecraft was not a virulent racist.    He was an Anglophile who fantasized about being a subject of King George prior to the American Revolution.  He frequently expressed irritation and dismay over the way poor immigrants took up housing in Providence's old Colonial homes and neighborhoods and allowed the properties to become rundown and blighted.   His suspicion, distrust and attitude towards people of other races was no more or less pronounced than any other white man or woman of his time.    We need to stop imposing today's standards on past generations.    

I might also add that Lovecraft, the alleged racist, married Sonia Haft Greene, a New York Jewish woman.

Edited by millennium

I'm afraid that my "virulent racist" line came from a half remembered book review of a Lovecraft biography.   Not very scientific, on my part, I guess.  I thought that when his personal papers were examined, his views were more vehement that were common at the time, but I could well be mis-remembering.  I do realize that many beliefs that are considered awful now were once quite common.

Marrying Sonia meant nothing with regards to his feelings on Jews; he outright told her that she no longer belonged to 'these mongrels' because she was assimilated and with him. "You are now Mrs H. P. Lovecraft of 598 Angell St., Providence, Rhode Island!" She recounted that "whenever he would meet crowds of people—in the subway, or at the noon hours, at the sidewalks of Broadway or crowds, whoever he happened to find them, and these were usually the workers of the minority races—he would become livid with anger and rage. He seemed almost to lose his mind." Sometimes, he would insist that they walk down the center of a street so that he wouldn't have to share a sidewalk with "mongerels." That's not merely racist, that's pathological.

"The organic things—Italo-Semitico-Mongoloid—inhabiting that awful cesspool could not by any stretch of the imagination be call’d human. They were monstrous and nebulous adumbrations of the pithecanthropoid and amoebal; vaguely moulded from some stinking viscous slime of earth’s corruption, and slithering and oozing in and on the filthy streets or in and out of doorways in a fashion suggestive of nothing but infesting worms or deep-sea unnamabilities." That's not about his monsters, that's about people living in the Lower East Side of New York. Other white people called him out on this at the time and he just dug down further.

"[Hitler’s] vision . . . is romantic and immature," he stated after Hitler became chancellor of Germany. "I know he’s a clown but god I like the boy!"

And of course, there's his poem "On the Creation of Ni**ers". That one's easy to find online.

If he was driven to froth this much, virulent is a perfectly fine word to describe him. None of which means that we shouldn't read, analyze, critique, and—in some cases—enjoy his work.

Edited by Violet Impulse · Reason: Formatting.