Type keyword(s) to search

Swamp Thing - General Discussion

• Start Topic

S01.E08: Long Walk Home (2019.07.19)

After a harrowing journey of survival through the swamp, Avery comes face to face with Swamp Thing, who rescues the injured man and helps his recovery.

Yeah, yeah, screw all that, this is when we get Adrienne Freaking Barbeau!

16 hours ago, MarkHB said:

S01.E08: Long Walk Home (2019.07.19)

Yeah, yeah, screw all that, this is when we get Adrienne Freaking Barbeau!

Probably the main reason I rented that movie.

• LOL 1

S01.E09: The Anatomy Lesson (2019.07.26)

While Abby and Liz track down the secret Conclave facility, Jason Woodrue conducts experiments on Swamp Thing and makes an incredible discovery.

Shit,  meet fan....

I liked the idea of Swamp Thing being awake during the autopsy... it was an interesting change from the book where he doesn't wake up and discover the truth about himself until it's over.

Plus: At long last, Blue Devil!

S01.E10: Loose Ends (2019.08.02)

Still reeling from the revelation of the truth behind his existence, Swamp Thing goes on the offensive against Ellery's mercenary team hunting him; Abby comes up against Jason Woodrue, who has crossed the line to save his wife's life.

Series FInale

We'll see you all in when the Good Gumbo returns, I guess.... Here's hoping for a decent ending, and until then laissez les bontemps rouler!

SwampThingEnding.thumb.PNG.22a962f7e056d9f608806ba67834acdc.PNG

(Scan taken from here.)

5 hours ago, ruby24 said:

Why didn't they let Abby and Swamp Thing kiss?

I noticed that, and I'm guessing that with the prosthetics he couldn't purse his lips. They may have had a plan to deal with that in a later episode but when the production got cut off there probably wasn't time to make it happen.

I really wish that the promo hadn't shown Floronic Man; he looked great and it would have been a terrific surprise. ( If anyone reading this didn't catch it, there's a post-credit scene in the finale.)

Episode 10

Why would you take out your phone and then decide it is better to just scream at the top of your lungs for help. Sad, since they just showed how well dialing 911 works and the person didn't even give an address.

How did Avery get the Police car and his car to the swamp?

This week in Canada we got the episode in which swampy meets the Phantom Stranger. I did not think that the latter would be exactly as in the comics; the cape flowing around with a will of its own and the perpetual shadow over the eyes would be difficult to render believably in live action. However, I never thought that the PS would look like a reject from a low-rent Paul Giamatti look-alike contest.

• Love 1
On 8/7/2019 at 6:40 AM, AnimeMania said:

Episode 10

Why would you take out your phone and then decide it is better to just scream at the top of your lungs for help. Sad, since they just showed how well dialing 911 works and the person didn't even give an address.

How did Avery get the Police car and his car to the swamp?

I don't think cell reception is that great in the middle of a swap with no towers around. So no cell coverage trapped in a sinking car trunk means screaming.

Swamp Thing to air on CW network - no dates yet.

The CW has acquired scripted series Swamp Thing, based on the DC character, <...> Premiere dates and times will be announced later.

The CW is known for using acquired scripted series as summer programming. This year is different as there is a lot of uncertainty over when TV series will be able to go into production amid the coronavirus pandemic, so it is possible that the CW would use some of the acquisitions for late summer or fall to give its originals more time to produce new episodes. The CW is expected to unveil its fall schedule on Thursday.

-----

How much editing will they have to do?

12 hours ago, Trini said:

How much editing will they have to do?

They'll definitely have to get rid of the cursing, but there wasn't any nudity or sex and I have no idea where the CW's S&P department stands on blood and gore. I think the run times were all pretty close to 48 minutes, too. 

• Useful 1

I guess DC Universe needed some way to make more money off of that 1 season so they sold it to CW.

Makes me wonder if people will just wait for streaming content to hit free over the air networks instead of paying multiple streaming subscriptions (or just get rent the DVD if it is released that way).

3 hours ago, UnknownK said:

I guess DC Universe needed some way to make more money off of that 1 season so they sold it to CW.

Makes me wonder if people will just wait for streaming content to hit free over the air networks instead of paying multiple streaming subscriptions (or just get rent the DVD if it is released that way).

I think the Corona Pandemic is causing TV Networks to scramble for any decent (New Content) TV Series that they can put on the air. Expect a ton of new comments from The CW watchers and from the HBO Max watchers as the find this series.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'm amazed that some fans think this could lead to a Season 2, though. The (VERY expensive) sets are destroyed; there isn't enough revenue potential to warrant rebuilding them.

• Love 1

So, is this what the new 'Corona Pandemic'-created 2020 Fall schedule is going to be like for a lot of networks?  Repackaging some streaming titles for TV distribution to go along with airing reruns of "currently" airing series??

..... or have I not been paying attention and some shows & production companies are (or will be) filming for the new seasons [for the usual late Sep/early Oct. start times]?

14 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

So, is this what the new 'Corona Pandemic'-created 2020 Fall schedule is going to be like for a lot of networks?  Repackaging some streaming titles for TV distribution to go along with airing reruns of "currently" airing series??

..... or have I not been paying attention and some shows & production companies are (or will be) filming for the new seasons [for the usual late Sep/early Oct. start times]?

It probably depends on the type of show it is. Reality TV Shows need little editing and special effects. They will probably dominate. Then reality-like TV shows and SitComs, like Law and Order and shows taped live before a live studio audience are easy to make and can to ready a week after they finish shooting them. It just depends when certain States will allow filming to continue.

• Useful 1

Intro/review/promo for Swamp Thing from DC (put out in April before the news broke that it would air on CW): 'Escape Into the Dark Romantic Fantasy of Swamp Thing'

If you're not familiar with DC’s iconic horror character created by Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson, then the series is the perfect introduction. If you're already a Swampy die-hard like me, then it's a beautiful reimagining of the groundbreaking elemental hero who has been charming readers and Abby Arcane since he was first introduced in House of Secrets #92.

From the minds of James Wan, Gary Dauberman and Mark Verheiden, this Southern Gothic fantasy is one of the best first seasons of superhero television ever put to screen. Filled with practical effects, incredible creature work and a cast of character-acting stalwarts, the ten episode series blew me away when it was first released last year and Swamp Thing was (and still is) a criminally underrated addition to the small screen superhero canon.

So, what makes Swamp Thing so special? Well, first of all, it's the perfect amalgamation of horror and romance. Though those two things might not seem like dreamy bedfellows, there is a great tradition of lust, romance and love being the driving force in genre storytelling. From classics like Dracula and The Creature From the Black Lagoon to modern reinterpretations like Only Lovers Left Alive, The Shape of Water and Crimson Peak, there's been plenty of horror about love for fans to become enamored with. Swamp Thing adds to that legacy with a beautiful and haunting new take on the quintessential Beauty and the Beast archetype that has long intrigued readers. 

The Sherrif telling her grown son who to date while a young girl is missing in the swamp was a bit jarring.

In general I think it is a bit above the average CW fare, at least in terms of the immediacy of the special effects. We can only hope that the romances are handled in adult, or at least semi-rational, terms.

Swamp Thing (do dodo doot! doot!)

You make my heart sing (do dodo doot! doot!)

You make everything ... Spooky  (sorry, but I've had this stuck in my head all day)

So, brilliant Dr. Abby Doesn't think to wear gloves while she does a B&E on Alec's old lab?

I understand that face masks don't sell TV shows as well as pretty faces, but do we really need to pander to the hand fetishists? Won't someone think of the glove fetishists?

Star-date, episode 4, I think. Abby does science with a pokin' stick. Aren't you supposed to use different sticks for material evidence (the room tag) and physical evidence (the "body")?

No one thought that the Sheriff might be infected? I guess that Abby couldn't dress the Sheriff's wounds without her stick.

So the "body" accepted the fear syndrome? I suspect that Swampy animated the corpse to trick the syndrome into accepting it as a viable host. We just got the sugar coated version.

On 6/24/2019 at 1:30 AM, AnimeMania said:

The show was incredibly lax about portraying people who know how to work with infectious diseases.

Episode 1, Dr. Arcane is walking to a barrel to burn her hemorrhagic fever tainted gloves, but before she does that, she uses the infected gloves to grab her scrubs, rubbing her infected gloves all over it, then she grabs her favorite friend, rubbing her infected gloves all over him. She burns the scrubs and one of her gloves, the other infected glove she removes with her bare hand and leaves in her hand and proceeds to rub it all over the file she was just handed.

Dr. Arcane then goes to the hospital in Louisiana an tell everybody that when treating patients everybody must wear goggles and then the next scene she is visiting a patient without any eye protection.

Episode 3, Dr. Arcane walks in on the autopsy by Jason Woodrue and gets very close to the body of an infected cadaver wearing street clothes, Woodrue is also inadequately dressed to be working on an infectious cadaver.

and no-one got the poisonous spiders that stung her upper lip?

Episode 7 (I guess) Ellery takes a dip. I'm also guessing he will level up after this.

Pro Tip: If you are planning on killing someone, give them an unloaded gun.

So the old "Luke, I am your father" works once again. Sadly, Ellery's impressive task focus is a recessive trait. The proper answer would have been "Boot to the Head".

Abby ignores all warnings from the site expert and blunders on with no preparation. Please don't act surprised when you get bit.

Episode 9? When is an autopsy actually a vivisection?

Spoiler

When the subject is rude enough to still be alive.

If you can make plants grow, and you're made of plants, can't you use a tendril to stop someone from cutting you up?

I liked Blue devil's halitosis attack.

CW probably paid for some kind of exclusivity. I still believe that a big part of the reason it was cancelled was that it didn't sell overseas.  That, and my Grand Unified JJ Abrams Conspiracy Theory.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MarkHB said:

CW probably paid for some kind of exclusivity.

Makes sense; but an update: the episodes are set to expire off the CW website in less than a week as of today.

Maybe it will end up on HBO Max eventually?

• Love 1