Type keyword(s) to search

S38: Spoilers & Speculation

• Start Topic

I wonder how exit interviews work for this season? If there are so many castaways that don't quit until the end of the game, does that mean we won't see any exit interviews until they quit IoE or until the end of the game?

Unless it's when they are voted out, but it wouldn't make sense because they would still be in the game if they decide to be.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, TVFan1 said:

If there are so many castaways that don't quit until the end of the game, does that mean we won't see any exit interviews until they quit IoE or until the end of the game?

...I think you just stumbled upon the real reason that they started allowing "mid-game" interviews with active players in DvG.  It was a test run for how things might work for the IoE press junket.

• Love 6

I'm so tired of Joe.  He's back AGAIN... only this time with a new Salvador Dali-like mustache.  I guess I should be resigned to seeing every challenge involve yoga or balance.  Now it makes sense why there were so many balance challenges again this recent season... it's because so when next season every single challenge involves balancing on one foot or raising your arm above your head or doing the splits, we might not notice that it's all done in an effort to advance JOE. 

I feel like the season just before the recent one, Ghost Island, there were some balance challenges of course but not seemingly all the time.  I'm pretty sure there was a Disgusting Food and a Giant Maze challenge.  I really like these two challenges and I suppose we won't be seeing them again in this next season, because... Joe.  Why doesn't Jeffy just practically hand him the money a la Rupert or Russell or Rob?

• Love 2

Hey guys.  A couple of things.  

1. I changed the title of this thread to Spoilers & Speculation since there is a good mixture of both.  

2. I've hidden a few posts due to being off-topic for this season.  You can only talk about past-play of the four players returning if it's then tied it to how you speculate or are referencing a spoiler as to how they do in season 38.  If you want to talk about Boston Rob, Russell, etc, go find their threads and bring it there. 

Thanks and happy posting. 

• Love 1

Redmond has an update on the twist this season.

http://insidesurvivor.com/rumor-season-38-theme-and-title-34310

UPDATED: 01/02/19: The Extinction Island twist will not be revealed to the entire cast up front. A player will only become aware of the twist once they are voted out. The players remaining in the game will not find out about Extinction Island until the merge when Jeff Probst brings out the eliminated castaways for their first opportunity to win their way back into the game. Think back to the Outcasts twist in Survivor: Pearl Islands to get a sense of how this might work. The winner of the challenge will reenter the game and join the merged tribe. The losers can choose to continue living on Extinction Island or quit.

So basically it is the outcast twist on steroids....

• Love 3

Surprised Jeff would be onboard with this since he hated the Outcast Tribe.  

I can see where this likely cost production favorites and changed the course of the game by someone bitter re entering and joining up with a minority alliance.  That and if it’s true someone voted out early on wins in the end, then yeah, disaster season.

I think it will be a disaster and not entertaining. I hope that we get to see what is happening on Extinction Island and get a feel for what is happening there. I suspect Ponderosa without the food and booze and beds.

The only way that this might work is if each person voted out is kept sequestered from the other evicted folks. Otherwise, all this means is that people voted out early will have time to bond at Extinction Island. If the people at Extinction Island after the merge get to be on the jury, regardless of being out before the merge, those bonds are likely to win out in the final vote.

Seriously, the Outcast twist was awful and this is likely to be even worse.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I could be down for a real disaster of a season if it's entertaining. I feel like this will end up just being a boring disaster though.

I'm going for boring disaster.

And I get staying on IOE is basically Redemption Island 2.0...but really, that's a long time to be sitting around doing nothing except the whole survival aspect of the game.  It's the game except no TC and no challenges.  And I am wondering how many people end up quitting before they are allowed to re-enter the game.  I also expect whoever does re-enter the game will probably bring obnoxious to a whole new level, especially if it was someone who arrogantly thought they were in control and the got blindsided (but still fancy themselves a master of the game).   

The only way that this might work is if each person voted out is kept sequestered from the other evicted folks. Otherwise, all this means is that people voted out early will have time to bond at Extinction Island. If the people at Extinction Island after the merge get to be on the jury, regardless of being out before the merge, those bonds are likely to win out in the final vote.

I wish they had done it this way, but it doesn't sound like they did.  I think part of the point was for the contestants to try and get one another to quit (which makes me wonder if they thought this could go the way of World’s Apart and have things get out of control with bullying).  However, if rumors are correct, it didn't work that way, and it sounds like that might have factored into who won the game.  I probably shouldn't be rooting so hard for this to blow up in their face, but I am.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

I hope this blows up in their faces and the rumor is true that one of the early boots win the whole thing.  I mean it is clear to me the only reason they implementing such a  stupid twist is a desperate attempt to keep their returnees on tv for as long as possible.

• Love 4

I'm another one that hopes this blows up in their faces. I want Kelley Wentworth to win, but if the rumor is true that an early boot ends up winning the whole thing, then it serves them right for such a stupid twist. 

• Love 1
On 1/4/2019 at 12:05 AM, TVFan1 said:

I'm another one that hopes this blows up in their faces. I want Kelley Wentworth to win, but if the rumor is true that an early boot ends up winning the whole thing, then it serves them right for such a stupid twist. 

I just dont want the early boot winning against Kelly. If it's True she made F4 AGAIN just to lose that Stupid Fire Challenge or makes F3 just to lose to an early boot I'm gonna be upset. 

Edited by jay741982
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, jay741982 said:

I just dont want the early boot winning against Kelly. If it's True she made F4 AGAIN just to lose that Stupid Fire Challenge or makes F3 just to lose to an early boot I'm gonna be upset. 

And yet it would be just what the Producers deserve for such a stupid theme/concept.

• Love 1
On 1/3/2019 at 10:17 AM, ProfCrash said:

he only way that this might work is if each person voted out is kept sequestered from the other evicted folks. Otherwise, all this means is that people voted out early will have time to bond at Extinction Island. If the people at Extinction Island after the merge get to be on the jury, regardless of being out before the merge, those bonds are likely to win out in the final vote.

Seriously, the Outcast twist was awful and this is likely to be even worse.

From the rumours I've read, Joe gets voted out fairly early, spends nearly all of IoE fishing for the group, but then fails to win either of the return challenges.  I'm sure TPTB were mightily disappointed.  

I can see Joe getting voted out early not so much because he'd be a challenge beast down the road, but I think some people would want to pull a Stephen Fishbach and have bragging rights at getting the golden boy out.  I haven't heard those rumors, but it's surprising he wouldn't win either return challenge.  I fully believe this IOE idea was set up solely to benefit the returning players anyway in case they were voted out early (I would find it hilarious if all 4 were voted out pre-merge but the spoilers don't indicate that).  I'm sure they figured it would especially benefit Joe. 

There was a screenshot from Sierra's IG when Joe first came home and many focused on the fact that it looked like he hadn't lost any weight.  Of course Fiji hasn't exactly proven to be a tough environment compared to some of the locations Survivor has filmed at, and Joe was sitting at an angle.  I've learned unless people look like Kelley and Kimmi did when they returned from Cambodia it's hard to tell with pictures and weight loss.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Hanahope said:

From the rumours I've read, Joe gets voted out fairly early, spends nearly all of IoE fishing for the group, but then fails to win either of the return challenges.  I'm sure TPTB were mightily disappointed.  

I hope this is true because I love it lol.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

.  I fully believe this IOE idea was set up solely to benefit the returning players anyway in case they were voted out early (I would find it hilarious if all 4 were voted out pre-merge but the spoilers don't indicate that).  I'm sure they figured it would especially benefit Joe. 

Sure, like it or not, many fans want to see favorite players return.  But the deck tends to be stacked against them as some sort of threat whether social, physical, strategic so I can see the producers trying to find some way to even things up.  Not sure they have found a good way tho.

Thought I'd take a quick look at the reddit mega thread, some random cut and pastes. 

The most concrete rumor we have right now on S38 is that it generally was not received well by production and the final outcome is going to be extremely controversial. Since the season was announced, there has also been tons of comparisons being made to Redemption Island (the season). Namely that the producers are trying to get some fan favorites they like a win through a poorly thought out twist.

Hey, guys. I'm here again to bring some info I was told about the game. Again, take this with a grain of salt because I do not full believe this myself. My source has gotten info wrong in the past, but I just want to get this info out so others can make their judgements. As I reported last time, the final six consists of Aubry, Eric, Julie, Kelley, Rick, and an unknown. (counting Eric returning to the game through IoE) I was told conflicting reports that this fifth place finisher is either Lauren or Gavin. Personally, I lean towards Lauren based on the fact Kelley and Lauren follow each other on instagram, so they seemed to be close. My source has also disclosed to me that Aubry was taken to FTC because she was seen as someone who couldn't "finish", whatever that means. I hope you guys can make sense of this, I know it's a bit confusing.

The Extinction Island twist will not be revealed to the entire cast up front. A player will only become aware of the twist once they are voted out. The players remaining in the game will not find out about Extinction Island until the merge when Jeff Probst brings out the eliminated castaways for their first opportunity to win their way back into the game. Think back to the Outcasts twist in Survivor: Pearl Islands to get a sense of how this might work. The winner of the challenge will reenter the game and join the merged tribe. The losers can choose to continue living on Extinction Island or quit.

http://insidesurvivor.com/rumor-season-38-theme-and-title-34310

from a month ago

The would go along with the posters at Sucks, who have also dissected pics and promos, including the opening credits that EW posted.  There's nothing to support Reem or Julie past the first episode.  One poster also picked up on David wearing a green buff, which means he's safe until the swap.  There's shots of contestants competing in future challenges, so that may help determine who else makes it past the next few episodes.

ETA: It's possible the green buff David is wearing is the buff they're given on Island of Extinction.  I'm not really sure why they would wear buffs out there, but it's possible.  I know it was speculated he might have been an early boot due to IG activity while the show was still filming.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Useful 1

Some other spoilers from the posters at Sucks: it appears that the Blue tribe possibly loses the second IC as well.  Right now it does seem as though Reem is going to be the first boot based on screen shot evidence, as Julie is accounted for now past episode 1.  Gavin and Eric are the only person from the yellow tribe not accounted for past episode 2 so there's a chance yellow could still lose; not must evidence of Joe post episode 2, either.

It looks as though the following castaways are likely safe until at least episode 3 (possibly episode 4, depending on how the challenges play out): Aurora, Julie, Julia, Aubry, Victoria, Ron, Joe, Lauren (Aurora, Lauren, Julia, and Ron were seen in a challenge where it's raining, possibly episode 4, and Ron has facial hair growth at that point). Chris was seen wearing a red buff (I think it was on his SM and deleted?).   

And if anyone wants to see them, here are the opening credits posted by EW, which is where some of the spoilers came from because of future challenges castaways are seen competing in:

https://ew.com/tv/2019/02/15/survivor-edge-of-extinction-opening-credits-titles/

Edited by LadyChatts

Interesting article.  I didn't know that Joe and Sierra Dawn Thomas were living together or that she was in the hospital for a week after with liver and kidney failure. 

But more to the point look at the second picture.  He looks sort of gnarly.  There is speculation that he goes to GoII fairly early, stays till the 2nd chance but doesn't make it back in.  His instagram post is sort of emotional, ups and downs, darkness and light.  Probably not anything to do with the game but. 

https://www.sltrib.com/artsliving/2019/02/17/she-voted-him-off/

Edited by marys1000
  • Love 1

He and Sierra have been together since I think she was on GC, but haven’t been living together long.  

That article, as well as some other pre season ones I’ve read from Joe, is like a mix of someone who wants to win but is taking the Ozzy approach at this point and just enjoying the ride.  Joe always seemed like the type that lived for the adventure side first, money side second anyway.  I don’t know what the validity is of the spoilers, but I won’t be that surprised if he’s voted out pre merge this time.  Unfortunately people seem to be able to tell when the merge is coming due to the number of people left.  So they may keep Joe until then and then vote him out.  I know there was a pic from Sierra IG from when he first came home (it’s in the Reddit spoilers) and it looks like he lost no weight.  However, it’s taken at an angle.  Plus, when Joe got back from Cambodia, people speculated he didn’t go far because he bragged about being up all night his first night home and then hiking the next day.  Not only was he jury, he didn’t come home in good health.  So who knows.  Last season was the first Fiji season I felt anyone looked like they lost weight and looked terrible anyway.  

https://ew.com/tv/2019/02/21/survivor-jeff-probst-edge-of-extinction-premiere/

One episode down. What can you tell us about next week’s installment of Edge of Extinction?
Pairs are starting to form, and idols are coming into play!

Here's a teaser from Jeff for next week.  I was shocked that no one found an idol episode 1.  But my guess is one of the returning players is going to find it.  That's the one thing that's alluded Joe in his Survivor journey, and since Eric is targeting him and Aubry, he'd be my guess to find it on his tribe.  

I know none of the spoilers are confirmed at this point, but after the premiere, I'm wondering if there's truth to Aubry making the final 3 but getting blasted by the jury for not doing anything.  She said last night something about laying low and staying back, whereas Joe was talking about wanting to be in the center and offer advice.  Then we had Eric say last night and in the preview about not wanting a returning player to win and getting them out.  Maybe it's foreshadowing.  

OK, so the ala carte idol is a bitty silly but it opens itself up for some spectacularly bad play. The individual immunity has to be played before the vote, so you could see someone playing that on themselves and get their closest ally voted out when they were not in danger. Or better yet, play it on someone and then get all those votes. Mess up a vote split count and misplay it.

It could be all sorts of awesome.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

OK, so the ala carte idol is a bitty silly but it opens itself up for some spectacularly bad play. The individual immunity has to be played before the vote, so you could see someone playing that on themselves and get their closest ally voted out when they were not in danger. Or better yet, play it on someone and then get all those votes. Mess up a vote split count and misplay it.

It could be all sorts of awesome.

It is just as always with the II.  Before the votes are read, not before the vote.  I went back and watched him read the menu. 

Edited by Bucket

So it's looking like Manu loses immunity again this week, based on what posters from Reddit and Sucks have figured out.  The possible boots are Wendy, Keith, and Kelley, where there's no evidence past this ep that they survive.  There was an unconfirmed spoiler that Wendy was a pre-merge boot and ended up quitting IOE; right now I'd say it's between her and Keith, and the preview pointing at a possible Wentworth blindside is a misdirect.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Here's a couple of sneak peeks:

The challenge:

https://youtu.be/aOQVENX31zQ

And here's one of the Manu camp, where Wendy is explaining her vote at the last TC and wanting to get rid of Kelley.  As someone whose not a fan of Kelley, this makes me love Wendy more.  But sadly I think her efforts are going to fail.  

https://youtu.be/rtRANvzsRy8

So why not Get rid of David. And her BS of Lauren/Kelly being Power Couple was stupid it was Day 3

2 hours ago, Hanahope said:

I would find it interesting if Wendy gets the boot already and ends up quitting IoE, given it seemed that  nearly every trailer I saw about this season featured her in it.

The biggest reason I can see her being kept around is because Keith is too much of a challenge liability.  And he also doesn't have a core alliance.  It seems right now that two stories are forming at both camps, aimed at possibly getting the former players out (especially at Kama).  What might doom is Wendy is she looks like she's going to try and go after Wentworth.  Unfortunately I don't think she'll have the votes to get rid of her (I can't see Chris, Lauren, or Wardog voting Wentworth out over Keith and Wendy).  So at best it's a 4/4 split, but no one is going to go to rocks this early.  Wendy is already on the outs, and targeting Wentworth is just going to further push her out.  

I know a lot of spoilers are unconfirmed at this point, but even now I can see how some of them play out and end up being accurate.  The only thing that's going to save Wendy is a tribe swap, and even then she might be a pre-merge boot.  Right now I think her tribe might be thinking ahead of a tribe swap and her turning on them, so that's another thing that could work against her. 

I wonder how much time will be devoted to those people on the Island of Extinction vs. the other actively playing tribes.  Since someone comes back at the merge and supposedly also at the end, it would seem that they have to spend some time there, so we get to know them a bit more.

I wonder if they get any food at all there, even rice, or if its solely dependent on one's ability to figure out how to fish?

I had heard at one point that they were essentially on their own, and that was part of the whole experience of going out there.  I'm not sure if that's changed or not.  I would think at the very least they'd give them flint and rice.  I don't know that they'll make it too cushy, but they probably don't want everyone quitting because of lack of food/water/warmth.  

Because this is a new twist, I'm sure we'll get a decent amount each ep, especially if any returning players go there.  But one of the rumors floating around is that someone who comes back from IOE at the end wound up winning, and that was controversial since that person had been with the jurors until the end.  Remains to be seen if that's true, but I think it'll be telling if they pay a significant amount of time out there and one any certain person.  

• Love 1

Not sure I understand how you can go from EI back into the game and win.  And also be with the jurors?  Oh like all the EI island players get to vote at the end?  That would suck, they didn't see anyone play. 

So Wendy is spoiled as a quit.  So does she tough out her sprained ankle, her tribe loses again, chose EI and then quit?  Or just quit from the get go?  
Or if you don't choose EI after being voted out is that considered a quit?  Is leaving EI considered a quit?  Maybe not.  Once your original torch is snuffed anything after that should be a quit imo.  So, that would leave she decides to quit rather than being voted out because her injury, challenges etc. 

3 hours ago, marys1000 said:

Not sure I understand how you can go from EI back into the game and win.  And also be with the jurors?  Oh like all the EI island players get to vote at the end?  That would suck, they didn't see anyone play. 

So Wendy is spoiled as a quit.  So does she tough out her sprained ankle, her tribe loses again, chose EI and then quit?  Or just quit from the get go?  
Or if you don't choose EI after being voted out is that considered a quit?  Is leaving EI considered a quit?  Maybe not.  Once your original torch is snuffed anything after that should be a quit imo.  So, that would leave she decides to quit rather than being voted out because her injury, challenges etc. 

I think leaving the island is considered a quit but not choosing to go there isn’t. 

As to the other part of your comment-there’s two opportunities for people to get back into the game (from what I remember reading).  One of them is at the merge, the other is later in the game (around final 6 I think).  I’m using Joe as an example here, but say he’s the first merge boot and opts to go to IOE and winds up getting back into the game at the final 6.  Anyone voted out after him would be the jury and if they were on the island with him, they’d have all that time to spend with him and hang out and get to know him outside of the game.  So it might screw someone like Wardog (for example) who makes the final 3 without ever getting voted off, but the jurors only know him from the game and may have the normal bitter feelings.

I am wondering, though, how they are going to do a second return into the game.  Is the jury still going to attend each TC?  They wouldn’t be cleaned up so the remaining players would obviously know the twist was still in play.  I’ll have to go look and see if that’s accurate or if it was just rumored.  I don’t remember a lot of facts being revealed about how this twist works, but I’d be shocked if they only had one opportunity to return.  

After last night and Aubry’s Negative edit, I’m leaning towards her going to the final 3 and getting trashed as gaining more credibility.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2

From what I read about IE, if you "quit" once on the island, its just as if you got voted out w/o IE, i.e. you'd go to Ponderosa, either pre-jury or post-jury.  If pre-jury, you'd leave once the merge occurs (go on the pre-jury boot vacation).

After the merge (where one IE battle to return occurs), I read that everyone who is still on IE and voted out thereafter, become jury members.  Those that stay on IE, get the chance to battle to come back again, around F6 or so.  If they leave IE, they will still be jury members, but they get to go to Ponderosa (although maybe they make a rule that only post-merge IE leavers get to go to Ponderosa, pre-merge IE leavers are gone for good).  Everyone after the merge who's a jury member will get to attend TC. 

this seems to suggest that at the merge IE battle, the rest of the contestants learn about IE and find out that those that remain on IE become jury members.

I've heard that 2 pre-jury boots leave (I don't know if they go to IE first or not), and there is actually a jury of 13 members (18-2=16-3 finalists=13).

And I've heard that the person who comes back to the tribe/wins the IE battle at F6 ends up winning the game.  I don't know if they were pre-jury or not, but the implication is pre-jury.  that person got to know all the others on IE without the 'burden' of strategy/voting out and became well-liked, and becuase the jury is made up of people who stayed on IE instead of Ponderosa.

• Love 3
(edited)

Ugh, so they're gonna make everyone pretend like they're thinking about it. So stupid. 

19 hours ago, Hanahope said:

And I've heard that the person who comes back to the tribe/wins the IE battle at F6 ends up winning the game.  I don't know if they were pre-jury or not, but the implication is pre-jury.  

I want this to happen so much. Everyone (in the audience) would be so annoyed and Probst would try to make it seem not horrible and the whole thing would be so funny.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 2
(edited)
43 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Ugh, so they're gonna make everyone pretend like they're thinking about it. So stupid. 

I want this to happen so much. Everyone (in the audience) would be so annoyed and Probst would try to make it seem not horrible and the whole thing would be so funny.

Agree. I am hanging on to this show by a thread.  It has gone from 'never miss it' to background noise for spider solitaire and texting. 

I want this to happen, too.  Why not?  

I do realize this could backfire and be great.  

Edited by Bucket
  • Love 1