Type keyword(s) to search

S38: Spoilers & Speculation

• Start Topic

(edited)

UPDATED: 07/13/18: Inside Survivor can now confirm that the theme will indeed work like the original Ghost Island concept mentioned above. When a player is eliminated they can choose to quit or go to the Island of Extinction (IOE). Players can leave at any time. There will be two chances for a player to win their way back into the game – at the merge and then around Day 35/36. The IOE does not reset at the merge; the extinct castaways who don’t win their way back into the game can continue to live on the IOE until Day 35/36 when the second opportunity to reenter arises. Yes, that means pre-merge boots could be living alongside post-merge boots. And yes, that theoretically means the entire cast could still be alive in the game come Day 35/36. It could also mean a player eliminated on Day 3 still has a chance to reenter and win the season.

http://insidesurvivor.com/rumor-season-38-theme-and-title-34310

So this is not only Ghost Island but Redemption Island as well, except there aren't weekly duels.  Way to be original show (and try to keep the returning players in it).  So on top of two tribes to keep track of, will we get additional footage of the ousted castaways, too?

Edited by LadyChatts
(edited)

My guess would be anyone who went out before the jury phase started would be pre-jury, and anyone voted out after would be on the jury.

However, I feel like this might give those out of the game an unfair advantage.  People on the exile island are going to have nothing to do but bond (and practice fire).  If someone got back into the game via this twist (which goes on way too long) they might have an unfair advantage with the jury for getting to spend all that time with them.  This is a twist clearly meant to keep the returning players in it, and I won’t be surprised if this goes down as one of the worst seasons ever.  Possibly with one of the least deserving winners ever.

ETA: Another way they could possibly do the jury is wait until they have enough combined ousted players and players on the IOE to form the jury, no matter where they went out originally.  I seriously can’t believe they will have an over bloated jury.

Edited by LadyChatts
2 hours ago, TVFan1 said:

I'd laugh if every single player voted out decides to leave the game. I know it won't happen, though.

I'd laugh even more if every player decided to stay in the game, because I'm sure they don't anticipate that happening (and it probably won't).  I don't like the concept of the ousted players trying to get the others to quit.  I hope that doesn't turn into a bullying situation. 

So are they basically living old school Survivor style on that island?  Just rice and fish and fending for themselves?

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I'd laugh even more if every player decided to stay in the game, because I'm sure they don't anticipate that happening (and it probably won't).  I don't like the concept of the ousted players trying to get the others to quit.  I hope that doesn't turn into a bullying situation. 

So are they basically living old school Survivor style on that island?  Just rice and fish and fending for themselves?

I don't know. I would assume so. Are there going to be idols on that island? There shouldn't be, right?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, TVFan1 said:

I don't know. I would assume so. Are there going to be idols on that island? There shouldn't be, right?

Hmm, not sure.  I could see them planting at least one idol out there, because they may not want whoever returns the first time to automatically be voted out (especially if it's a Probst fave) and maybe have some leverage to stay in.

I really just can't see how this season isn't going to completely suck.  I already hate the stupid fire making final 4 challenge as it is.  I hate when people get to re-enter the game at any point, but this should totally be a one time return trip at the merge and that's it.  I hate how idols and advantages can be used so late in the game.  I feel like there's so little strategic component left anymore.

And while I like all 4 returning players, I can't say that I'm excited about them, either.  I don't care for these seasons that are a mix as it is (Micronesia being one exception).  I'd rather see all newbies or all vets.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Hmm, not sure.  I could see them planting at least one idol out there, because they may not want whoever returns the first time to automatically be voted out (especially if it's a Probst fave) and maybe have some leverage to stay in.

I really just can't see how this season isn't going to completely suck.  I already hate the stupid fire making final 4 challenge as it is.  I hate when people get to re-enter the game at any point, but this should totally be a one time return trip at the merge and that's it.  I hate how idols and advantages can be used so late in the game.  I feel like there's so little strategic component left anymore.

And while I like all 4 returning players, I can't say that I'm excited about them, either.  I don't care for these seasons that are a mix as it is (Micronesia being one exception).  I'd rather see all newbies or all vets.

I'm pretty sure this will be a sucky season. Whoever thought up this idea is out of their mind. When your torch is snuffed, your fire is gone and so is your game. That is the game of Survivor. This whole island of extinction thing is stupid all the way around.

I don't know if it's because of the 4 returnees or what, but this island of extinction is basically used to keep them in the game. This way if they are voted out, they're not done yet. I'm expecting a major dislike to this season among viewers. Or hey, maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think what scares me, too, is did S37 tank that badly that they went with this concept for S38?  Because this just seems so random.  I know this idea was floated around before as a possible theme for S30 but they got rid of it.  However, is their idea when in a rut, bring back popular players for a season?

If the next two seasons tank not only because of twists/themes but also casting, that could explain why Lynn was let go.

Edited by LadyChatts

Season 38 should be the last of the themes/twists. Let's see what happens with Season 39 and onward. I'll watch this season no matter how horrible it might be.

• Love 1

UPDATED: 07/20/18: Many people have asked how the jury will work in regards to this twist, well, we can finally shed some light on that matter. As I understand it, every eliminated player who chooses to stay on Extinction Island past the merge will be part of the jury (if a player on ES quits post-merge, they will still be on the jury). Yes, that means, theoretically, all 15 castaways not in the Final 3 could be a jury member. It could also mean those eliminated early are voting for people they’ve never met at Final Tribal Council.

Here's an update from Redmond on how the jury would work.

I have a feeling this season will be one that looked good on paper, but it doesn't go completely as expected.

So what if they wind up with a 15 person jury?  Especially with the format we have.  We already are cutting into the reunion show, and hear from so few jurors as it is.  I can only imagine how bad it will be if the jury is bigger than normal.  

I'm also wondering if the castaways were warned ahead of time about following each other/posting on SM when they got home.  That's usually how some of the other sites figure out the cast based on who followed who, and since we have 4 confirmed returning players, you'd think it'd be easy to figure out who the new players would be based on whose following Joe/Kelley/David/Aubry.  But nothing.  And, it doesn't seem like those 4 have posted much.

I guess they got the memo that 2 players from last season got into some big trouble over that.

15 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Eh.  The more I think about Lynn being gone from casting (starting in the next cycle in 2019) the more excited and curious I am to see if they can do better.

I hope they can do better in casting too. Also hoping to see changes to the show, too.

• Love 1

Martin Holmes (aka Redmond) sent out a newsletter with some general casting new for Season 39/40.  Among the changes for casting is that Jeff Probst is much more involved. Also, to nobodys surprise filming is scheduled to be in Fiji yet again.  And of course Canadians now can and have been applying.

"Casting Process Changes

There have been a few changes to how the casting process works this year. As most of you already know, long-time Survivor casting director Lynne Spiegel Spillman was let go earlier this year, with seasons thirty-seven and thirty-eight being the final casts she oversaw. Spillman was replaced by Jesse Tannenbaum, who first joined Survivor as a casting associate in 2016 and has also worked in the casting department for shows such as Big Brother and The Amazing Race.

It's not just the personnel that have had a makeover. The process itself has had an update. In the past, applicants would send in their audition videos and have them reviewed by the various casting associates. If a casting associate liked a particular video, they would get in touch with the applicant and begin the process. This process would usually involve the applicant filling out various forms (personal info, medical history, etc.) and making alterations to their audition video based on feedback. The casting associate would then pitch that applicant to the casting director (formerly Lynne), and a decision would be made whether or not to bring that person to finals in Los Angeles.

However, this year, applicants must not only be pitched to the casting director, but if they continue past that stage, they must take part in separate video interviews (Skype or FaceTime) with host/exec producer Jeff Probst and fellow exec producer Matt Van Wagenen. Previously, applicants didn't meet or have any interaction with Probst or the producers until finals. Now, Probst and Wagenen have a much more hands-on approach early in the casting process, in an effort to make sure only the best applicants are brought to LA for finals week.

Season 39

As of November 23, two rounds of casting finals have taken place in LA for season 39. The first round took place the last week of September and the second round happened in early November. There is said to be one final round scheduled for December - rumoured to be filling spots for certain "archetypes" which are missing. All of these finals are for new players, not returnees.

The other big change, of course, is that Canadians can now apply for Survivor for the first time ever. Inside Survivor can confirm that a small number of Canadians have made it through the process so far, but based on what I know, it does not sound like the show is planning a USA vs. Canada theme, which some fans had been speculating. There is no word yet on what the theme may be. Season 39's cast is not yet confirmed. The final cast is not usually made official until the end of January/early February (and sometimes as late as March) when confirmation calls start going out to the finalists.

Season 40

There has been a ton of speculation for months now that Survivor will produce a special returnee season for their landmark 40th season, with Probst himself telling Entertainment Weekly earlier this year that he feels they need to do "something big."

Inside Survivor has heard that while returnees are on the table ("in some capacity"), an actual theme has yet to be locked down. There are reportedly several options producers are considering, but right now the focus is on casting season 39. Work isn't scheduled to begin on season 40 until the first week of January.

Filming for seasons 39 and 40 will once again take place on the Mamanuca Islands of Fiji. The SEG production crew have the Mana Island resort fully booked up between March-August until at least 2020."

Edited by LanceM

I am not looking forward to a Probst casted returning player season, but am curious how he’ll do casting a newbie season.  S38 was Lynne’s last season, but I think our current season has one of the better casts in a long time.  Also excited to see Canadians in the cast.

If S40 is a returning player season of some form, I really hope there’s a good variety.  Not just contestants in the last 10 seasons (or the bulk being from post HvsV), and that we aren’t seeing people for the fifth and sixth time.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 5

I actually don't mind Joe coming back, although I feel his odds of winning are slim.  However, this twist is no doubt to benefit the returning players staying in the game.  Joe can no doubt survive the island of extinction and win his way back into the game.  I won't be surprised if he's a pre-merge boot this time, unless he gets lucky.

I just laughed when I thought about Christian in a season like this.  He could probably just talk everybody into quitting and get back into the game by default.

• Love 7

Joe is fine. The mustache is awful but he's always struck me as a decent person who enjoys the experience. If this was a show of watching folks gad about the wilderness for 39 days and climb trees and compete in challenges for food and then eat it and talk about their lives, I'd probably like him. But he's never struck me as having much of a head for - or even interest in - the actual game.

To completely contradict myself though - Kelley W is ALL game and I'm also underwhelmed about her coming back. I look forward to being the grinch of the forums next season.  

• Love 4

Joe is kind of a dime a dozen type on here-super popular, but is in the Ozzy/Malcolm wheelhouse.  There are others who came before and after him that also fit the profile.  I think he is all about the game, but yeah, he seems to enjoy the actual survival aspect and challenges most it seems.  His return isn't super surprising, and neither is Kelley's.

I am surprised by Aubry, and to a lesser extent David.  I know David was the popular fish out of water who found idols as they fell from the sky and saved Jessica with her pink eye when she had no idea she was about to be blindsided.  Aubry really fizzled during game changers, so her inclusion does surprise me.  I wonder what role exactly they are going to have-captains to pick a tribe, or just join a tribe.  And what if it's 3 tribes?  Do one of them go to the extinction island by default?

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

Joe will always be a favorite of mine for this line when asked how he could make fire:  "When I heard I was coming here I googled it and then practiced until I could do it."  I didn't know he was coming back until tonight, but I was thinking of him earlier when Mike and Kara had to do it.

• Love 1

I'm fascinated to see what happens with this season considering this was the "last straw," for the producers and led them to firing Lynne Spiegel Spillman, their longtime casting director. On one hand, couldn't quite blame them as Ghost Island sucked and there were a lot of bland and boring casts before that. On the other hand, you figure DvG would have bought her some goodwill. I wonder if this season is enough of a train wreck to justify her firing. And if so, what part did all these various twists play into everything? We'll see. 

SpoiledSurvivor over at Reddit had some unconfirmed posts that Kelley loses at FTC to an early boot who makes it back and the twist blew up in the producers' faces because people were able to bond easier on IoE, than they would in a normal game setting. Once again, that's not confirmed at all. 

• Love 2

I'm covering my eyes in here as I'm spoiler-averse, but I have had one spoiler for this season since June, and I love this board and this fandom, so I'm sharing it even though others probably already know. But I follow David Wright on Instagram and he started liking posts again on June 20. Reddit said the season started filming on June 4, so by my calculations, he's fifth or sixth out (unless somebody was liking posts for him, which I suppose is possible).

Anyway, I love you guys, sorry for my lame spoiler.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, MissEwa said:

Who is this guy? I love him.

And now I'm out because there's already too many spoilers here for me. I ended up really loving DvG even though I was spoiled, so maybe I will spoil myself for this season, too. @LadyChatts PM if there's ever a full boot list in here so I know not to read anymore!

Edited by peachmangosteen
6 hours ago, loki567 said:

SpoiledSurvivor over at Reddit had some unconfirmed posts that Kelley loses at FTC to an early boot who makes it back and the twist blew up in the producers' faces because people were able to bond easier on IoE, than they would in a normal game setting. Once again, that's not confirmed at all. 

Well, my understanding is that people on IoE just hang around and do whatever.  No challenges or TC, so there's no stress or betrayal.  It really does lend credence to an early boot succeeding because they really haven't betrayed or voted out anyone (as compared to a more recent bootee).  so they have plenty of time to bond without the whole 'scheming and plotting' interferring.  I suppose they are given the minimal shelter/food supplies (so rice and maybe some fruit), and then a fishing kit to fish.  I wonder if we will get much TV time with them.  

6 hours ago, Eolivet said:

But I follow David Wright on Instagram and he started liking posts again on June 20. Reddit said the season started filming on June 4, so by my calculations, he's fifth or sixth out (unless somebody was liking posts for him, which I suppose is possible).

I read David was one of 2 pre-merge boots that chose not to go to IoE and instead did the usual pre-merge vacation.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, loki567 said:

I'm fascinated to see what happens with this season considering this was the "last straw," for the producers and led them to firing Lynne Spiegel Spillman, their longtime casting director. On one hand, couldn't quite blame them as Ghost Island sucked and there were a lot of bland and boring casts before that. On the other hand, you figure DvG would have bought her some goodwill. I wonder if this season is enough of a train wreck to justify her firing. And if so, what part did all these various twists play into everything? We'll see. 

I had heard it was Aubry who made the FTC and lost to an early boot, and that Kelley lost the fire making challenge.  I had also heard the returning players didn't fare well, but I think that's all just speculation right now.  Joe seems tailor made for a twist like this.  I can believe that this twist backfires big time on them, and I do wonder if that's what led to Lynn's firing?  I'm not sure if they underestimated how popular DvsG was going to be, because Jeff didn't seem hyped for that season at first.  But if S38 is an epic trainwreck because of the twist and cast, then I can see where they are worried.

But I'm not sure what they were expecting-these people are voted off and go to an island with nothing to do until the challenge comes around for them to get back into the game.

This strikes me as an awful idea. The whole point of the game is to not be voted out. So there are two chances to get back into the game all while you have time to hang out and get to know the other contestants or is each person exiled to their own location and not allowed to interact with the other bootees? If they are allowed to hang out with the other bootees then they have time to build bonds, work together, and survive together without the pressure of challenges and votes.

Just an awful idea.

Redemption Island and the Ghost Tribe were not well received so why anyone thinks this is a good idea, I don't know.

• Love 2

I'm like the majority where once you're out of the game, you should stay out of the game.  I mean, Erik recovered from his medical issue a few hours after being medevaced from Caramoan, but they didn't let him return.  I'd be more in favor of something like that than a person being voted off (which is part of the game) getting to return just because they can outlast someone on an island longer.  At least with redemption island, though, people were still regularly eliminated and they weren't just hanging out for weeks with the same crowd.  This sounds like every person could be voted off and waiting for the challenge to return.  I can see how someone voted off early and returns can win with this set up.     

• Love 3
5 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Who is this guy? I love him.

And now I'm out because there's already too many spoilers here for me. I ended up really loving DvG even though I was spoiled, so maybe I will spoil myself for this season, too. @LadyChatts PM if there's ever a full boot list in here so I know not to read anymore!

JoeR used to write for TWoP and I'm pretty sure this site but I've lost track of who went where and who is still here. But yes, he made me chortle. 

Given the spoilers this season were all so vague I'm surprised we already have so much for next season, but the returnee ones always go this way, don't they? 

Generally, it does seem like returning player seasons spoil easier. Returning players hang out together at conventions and whatnot, information can flow pretty easy. All info is still very flimsy at this point, so I'd take it with a grain of salt. 

I had also heard the returning players didn't fare well, but I think that's all just speculation right now.  Joe seems tailor made for a twist like this.  I can believe that this twist backfires big time on them, and I do wonder if that's what led to Lynn's firing? 

This twist was clearly geared towards Joe but I wouldn't be shocked if it completely backfired in a, "Andrea beats Matt," type of situation. Really there's no way this twist goes well. Based off of Redmond's description, they were hoping people would try to make other people leave with Russell-like shenanigans. More likely you have a bunch of bored people hanging out at the beach which will make thrilling television, I'm sure.  

Basically, all the IoE people are giving up is a lot of eating food at Ponderosa (and for pre-merge boots, the vacation trip).  so I can see a lot people willing to give up eating pizza and showering for a week or two to get a shot at getting back into the game at the merge.  Then after the merge, they can either continue to stay at IoE and try again somewhere near the final (not sure where exactly), and be on the jury, or they can still be on the jury but go to Ponderosa and not try to get back in the game. 

Sure they are bored, but their mindset is 'be bored for a few weeks and maybe win a million bucks'.  who's going to not do that?

• Love 2
On 12/20/2018 at 6:46 AM, loki567 said:

I'd love for Kelly to finally win so I hope that rumor is false lol.

• Love 2
On 12/21/2018 at 9:14 AM, Hanahope said:

Basically, all the IoE people are giving up is a lot of eating food at Ponderosa (and for pre-merge boots, the vacation trip).  so I can see a lot people willing to give up eating pizza and showering for a week or two to get a shot at getting back into the game at the merge.  Then after the merge, they can either continue to stay at IoE and try again somewhere near the final (not sure where exactly), and be on the jury, or they can still be on the jury but go to Ponderosa and not try to get back in the game. 

Sure they are bored, but their mindset is 'be bored for a few weeks and maybe win a million bucks'.  who's going to not do that?

Based on the preview they won't be playing up the boredom but the whining "this is sooo hard"  "I don't know if I can dooooo this".  What I hate most about exile island etc is the whinging.  At least they'll have each other so hopefully that helps.  

Honestly I can't believe they are doing this from a production and editing standpoint.  On one hand its, 3 tribes normal normal.  But with the pre-jury, post jury, 2 tries, more people sticking around...when they get to editing its going to be a lot of moving parts to show with lots more contestants running around.  I guess we are going to see a lot less of some people and nothing of a lot of people. 

Edited by marys1000
  • Love 1

These particular returnees don't interest me in the slightest. I really don't care about the twist one way or the other. With all of the idols and advantages, this isn't Survivor anymore anyway. I will probably watch the upcoming season just like I watched this one: check in every other week or so for about half an episode each time. 

• Love 2

If it is true that an early bootee comes back at the final IoE challenge and then ends up winning the game, then the producers will be forced to provide a bit more IoE footage than they originally planned.  After all, what is there to show?  new booted players arriving and initial socialization?  and then what?  talking, but not strategy?  discussing who will go fish?  who did what from the last bootee?  But we have to somehow get introduced and to know the eventual winner, right?

This twist sounds like an utter fail already. It should always be the same as in "when your fire is gone, so are you" out of the game. IoE might be overflooded with so many contestants that we should get a lot of footage from that location, if indeed, someone from there gets back into the game and wins the whole thing.

• Love 2

Skimmed the list and Ron Clark just jumped out at me as someone who looked like one of those megachurch huckster pastors.  So I googled him.  

An educator/self-promoter/huckster?  IDK, maybe I'm too quick to question.  The website is short on details and his book The Essential 55 seems also that way if you look at the 3 star ratings on amazon (to be forthright it has more 5 and 4 star ratings by far).  Its a great concept, hopefully he is more "real" than he appears.  Certainly his appearance on Survivor will do a lot for donations.

http://www.ronclarkacademy.com/Who-we-are

Was David Wright a screenwriter before?  Or did that happen post Survivor?  

Love Joe's ??? under occupation

From reddit this is Julie Rosenberg's toymaker etsy shop last updated aug 11, 2018

https://www.etsy.com/no-en/shop/HENRYandWREN

instagram Instagram @jrosenberg212
Pinterest @henryandwren

Edited by marys1000

It's an interesting looking cast for the theme this season.  

I like Victoria simply because she gives me 90s grunge vibes.  

Was David Wright a screenwriter before?  Or did that happen post Survivor?  

Love Joe's ??? under occupation

I believe he was.  

And why do I feel like Joe lists '???' himself when he's asked for his occupation?  I suppose if he were on DWTS he would be a cross between a Survivor contestant and whatever they call the IG and SM personalities that sell and promote products.