Type keyword(s) to search

S38: Spoilers & Speculation

• Start Topic

I think that only applies to TAR.  Though I'm kind of surprised CBS hasn't done this idea before-BB/TAR contestants on Survivor, Survivor/TAR contestants on BB, and so on.  I know they've had crossovers before, but never a full season of them.

In terms of S38-I know it was rumored S37 or S38 was going to be returning players in some form (either a full or half season).  Last I heard both were supposed to be newbies, and S37 is.  I do know some former Survivor contestants said that those contacted were told not to make any plans because a returning player season could still be happening for S38.  With how much Probst has hyped certain contestants (especially from HHH that were pre-jury) I wouldn't be surprised if this is true.

(edited)
12 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I think that only applies to TAR.  Though I'm kind of surprised CBS hasn't done this idea before-BB/TAR contestants on Survivor, Survivor/TAR contestants on BB, and so on. 

I want them to do this so badly. I feel like most of the Survivor and TAR fans would riot though because they think those shows are so much better than BB and would be lowering themselves to BB's level.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I want them to do this so badly. I feel like most of the Survivor and TAR fans would riot though because they think those shows are so much better than BB and would be lowering themselves to BB's level.

I'd actually be fine if they did that.  I'd love to see Survivor contestants in the BB house, and BB houseguests "roughing it" on the island.  When it comes to TAR, I wouldn't need pairs that are strictly made up of Survivor and BB contestants.  If that person had a different loved one they'd want to race with that wasn't connected to the show, I'd be fine with that (but I realize why TAR goes for the actual couples).

I can only imagine if Dancing with the Stars was on CBS-these people really would have it made in not having to work for a few years.

• Love 4
(edited)

Having only 4 is annoying.  I'd rather half and half or a full season.  Maybe this was why Stephanie was MIA from the reunion?  Even though she was premerge I could see them inviting her back at some point.

Wonder if this is a bad sign as to how S37 turned out.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

If it's 4 tribes they will be switched up in two episodes anyway.  Jeff was really gung ho on some of the pre-jurors from HHH, so I wonder if maybe there will be one PJ and one merger on each tribe? 

• Love 1

This is a good time to mention  that between Survivor AND Big Brother, virtually every season with returning players has seen at least one of those returning players reach the finals. And the only season it didn't happen is Big Brother 11, where the producers specifically threw in a twist to knock out that season's sole returning player. It is an absolutely amazing streak.

• Love 2
(edited)

I am not really a big fan of this either. To me if you are going to bring returnees back have it be all returness or atleast half returnees. I am curious to see who they bring back especially if it is going to be a mix of male and female returnees.  They have done this 4 times previously and I believe Stephanie Lagrossa is the only woman  they have brought back in such a format.

Edited by LanceM

I’m assuming it’ll be recent seasons-probably from MvsGX to GI, with maybe a multi returning player from GC coming back (please not Culpepper). 

Some of the people I might expect to see are Michael, Stephanie, Ali, Patrick (only because Probst mentioned wanting him back), Devon, Jay, David Wright...honestly the men stick out to me more in recent seasons than the women, which shows how skewed the editing is.

• Love 1
(edited)

David isn't a surprise, but didn't expect the other three.  I'm predicting at least one of them is pre merge, and my guess would be Joe.  I hope not, though, because I love the eye candy he brings. 

I like all 4 of those individuals so I have no complaints.  I can't say there aren't others I would have picked or liked to have seen over them, but it could have been worse.  Would love to see Kelley go far again.  My hopes aren't high for S37 so I'm hoping this season delivers.  I think the Ghost Island concept would have made more sense for a season set up like this.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I can't say there aren't others I would have picked or liked to have seen over them, but it could have been worse.

So true.

I'm super tired of Joe. He just brings nothing to the game. And he isn't even eye candy for me!

I loved David, Aubry, and Kelley, which honestly is probably a bad thing. No where to go but down.

• Love 3
(edited)

I just don't think Joe can ever win this game.  Unless it is outright rigged or he winds up on a tribe of fangirls.  I like him, but he's too much of a threat.  I think he was better eye candy in his early seasons.  Looking at pics/videos of him, he needs to stay out of the sun just a little.  But I still like the guy.  Wonder if Sierra will be his loved one visit?  These are all Probst favorites but the choices make sense.

Kelley/Joe/David/Aubry make me wonder if this theme will be like a repeat of a theme Big Brother used for their 11th season-high school cliques, or populars/jocks/off beats/brains. 

Edited by LadyChatts

Very glad to see that Kelley Wentworth will be back. I hope she isn't seen as much of a threat and she goes out early.

I think it's too soon for Aubry to be back, but who knows how she'll do.

Joe might go far, but I don't think he will ever win because he's a major immunity threat.

As for David, I'm not sure.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Wonder if Sierra will be his loved one visit?  These are all Probst favorites but the choices make sense.

Wait, is he dating Sierra now? What happened to Kelly Wigglesworth? 

Of the four of them, he seems like the weakest link. He's pretty and athletic enough but he has no game. Aubrey, David and Kelley all have a Survivor instinct he was missing. That said, I could think of plenty of worse people they could have brought back. He's mostly inoffensive. 

I'm pre-emptively tired of the inevitable Kelley Wentworth fawning, if I'm honest. I like her and she's a good Survivor player but something about they way she is revered bothers me. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, MissEwa said:

Wait, is he dating Sierra now? What happened to Kelly Wigglesworth? 

Of the four of them, he seems like the weakest link. He's pretty and athletic enough but he has no game. Aubrey, David and Kelley all have a Survivor instinct he was missing. That said, I could think of plenty of worse people they could have brought back. He's mostly inoffensive. 

I'm pre-emptively tired of the inevitable Kelley Wentworth fawning, if I'm honest. I like her and she's a good Survivor player but something about they way she is revered bothers me. 

He and Sierra have been dating for about a year now, not long after he broke up (or whatever you want to call it) with Kelly.  I don't know if he and Kelly were dating, friends with benefits, or just partners trying to launch that TV show Mana that they came up with.  Looking at Kelly's IG account, I think she's still trying to make the Mana thing happen for herself, as she's always tagging different TV networks in her photos.  Her and Joe seemed to stop being together and posting about each other around the time Game Changers premiered.  Kelly seems very liberal and Joe very conservative, so I always wondered if political differences played a part.  

Something has to make Joe a threat to be voted off.  If people thought they could beat him in the end, they would keep him around.  I actually question if he would have won SC.  His first season hands down, but looking back at his second run, I'm not as convinced he would have won.  It likely would have depended who he was up against.  I still think he'd be a strong candidate to get voted out pre-merge this time, unless Probst really flexes his muscle about trying to keep providers and camp workers more beneficial.  Aubry i thought fizzled out her second time, so I'm curious what this round will bring out in her.  I think she's a safe bet until the merge.  David I'm most curious about.  Kelley could either go deep or go out early.

• Love 1

I like Aubrey a lot, and I completely forgot she played a second time, so yeah, fizzled out for sure!

I felt like in Joe's second season all the talk was 'we have to vote him out or he'll win and we don't want him to win' from pretty much every other player. It felt like nobody wanted him to win, but they assumed everybody else would vote for him if he got to F3. I think if he was female, even assuming a few immunity wins, and got to the end, he'd be seen as a goat with no game, but because he's not and he looks like an Ozzy/Malcolm type, he's seen as a threat. It'll be interesting to see how he goes - I predict early boot for the threat reason. 

• Love 2

That was always something I found interesting about Joe. He's a complete strategic lightweight and not even that good at comps, and yet to hear people tell it, you would think he's an absolutely unbeatable superman. It feels like a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. He only becomes so dangerous because people make him dangerous even though he doesn't do much at all. 

I feel like we already know where his game is going. 

The returning player I'm most interested in is Wentworth. I think there's a prime Stephenie LaGrossa story there. From the bits and pieces I heard, I think her ego might swell coming into the season with a bigger fanbase and perception. I could see her going full Queen B which would be fantastic in my opinion. The last few seasons have been so blah and non-offensive that I badly want a love-to-hate villain. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Kelley/Joe/David/Aubry make me wonder if this theme will be like a repeat of a theme Big Brother used for their 11th season-high school cliques, or populars/jocks/off beats/brains. 

I will literally lol if they do this. Amazing.

9 hours ago, MissEwa said:

I like Aubrey a lot, and I completely forgot she played a second time, so yeah, fizzled out for sure!

Right! I can't recall her playing a second time at all. Damn.

• Love 4
(edited)
13 hours ago, MissEwa said:

What I remember most about Aubry from her second stint was giving an eye roll to Debbie as she tried to convince her to join her alliance (but basically saying she wasn't getting any further than 6th), and then when she recounted the conversation to Andrea I believe it was, she gave Debbie a two finger salute.  Aubry falls into one of two categories returning players find themselves in: in her case, she was a big character her season with a lot of hype, fan favorite, Probst favorite, and was beat by a polarizing winner in a polarizing finale.  Then she comes back very recently in a returning player season with 3 of her other castaways (one of whom she didn't get along with), and has a lot of high expectations surrounding her edit. 

If I were in that case, I'd rather be in the other category, or what I like to call the Sierra/Wentworth/Hali category: you have no where to go but up because you made no impact your first time around.

I felt like in Joe's second season all the talk was 'we have to vote him out or he'll win and we don't want him to win' from pretty much every other player. It felt like nobody wanted him to win, but they assumed everybody else would vote for him if he got to F3. I think if he was female, even assuming a few immunity wins, and got to the end, he'd be seen as a goat with no game, but because he's not and he looks like an Ozzy/Malcolm type, he's seen as a threat. It'll be interesting to see how he goes - I predict early boot for the threat reason. 

Of the 3 mentioned, and I know I always lump them together, I think Malcolm is the only one who would ever have a chance of winning.  Ozzy and Joe are alike in that they are good at comps and love the overall Survivor experience when it comes to the survival aspect.  From a social standpoint, and a strategic standpoint, they each have their own issues to overcome there.  Joe's a good meat shield and good to keep around if you want to win challenges.  So is Ozzy.  Beyond that I think Joe is overall more likable, but I still don't think he'd have it in the bag at the end.  Maybe because he got graced with being compared to Malcolm and Ozzy that just made him a threat based on association.  If Ozzy won it might be more of a respect aspect, because he's played for so long and is from what I consider the golden era of Survivor. 

ETA: Also, I am curious if this will in fact by 4 tribes or if there will be 2 captains per tribe.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

ETA: Also, I am curious if this will in fact by 4 tribes or if there will be 2 captains per tribe.

They have only done 4 tribes a couple times, right? And not recently, I don't think. But admittedly I forget pretty much everything about a season the second it stops airing lol. 

I'm thinking two tribes with one man/one woman returning player in each.

Do we know for sure they're gonna be 'captains?' And, if so, I wonder what exactly that means.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

They have only done 4 tribes a couple times, right? And not recently, I don't think. But admittedly I forget pretty much everything about a season the second it stops airing lol. 

I'm thinking two tribes with one man/one woman returning player in each.

Do we know for sure they're gonna be 'captains?' And, if so, I wonder what exactly that means.

They did for Cook Islands, because they were divided by race, and Exile Island, which was divided by age/gender (and lasted exactly one episode).  TPTB probably know that if they put their captain in a tribe with 4 other people, the odds of that person lasting the first vote are slim.  So I would assume they'd do two tribes so there's more people, but I guess that will depend on the theme.  I'm not sure what the captain role will be, if anything.  Putting a tribe together? 

• Love 1

Ia m curious to see how the new players will react to having the "captains" on their season. If they are big fans of the game they should know that in the four times Survivor has done this format all four times one of the returnees has gotten to final tribal council.  Though only one of them, Boston Rob, actually won.  If I were them I'd get rid of them as soon as they can.  Somehow I doubt this will happen though.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

The Inside Survivor article says they're 'likely' to be captains and it says like Russell and BRob were in RI. What exactly did those 2 do as captains? I don't remember lol.

As far as I can remember, Rob and Russell just drew buffs and went with whatever tribe the color was.  I don't remember them having a role.

So I love Joe, but anyone want to bet he gets helped by production in finding finds the most idols?  Either that or Wentworth would be my guess.  As I mentioned, David has me the most curious about his game play and whether he'll still be this so-called fish out of water or whether he'll have a more strategic side.

• Love 3

I could see David doing well. I mean he was only immunity challenge away from winning his season in pretty convincing fashion. But because of the image of him is "neurotic guy," I don't think he has a target on his back the way the others do. Aubrey and Wentworth have the, "good players," tag and if Ciera's any indication, that's a hard rep for female players to shake off. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Hmm.  They really need to get out of Fiji so we can stop with these stupid themes.  So basically we have an unfair fire making tie breaking challenge at the final 4, now someone who was voted out long ago can come back and take someone's spot at the very end?  At least Big Brother has its limits when twists can be used until. 

So now instead of trying to focus on two/three tribes we'll have that plus the island of misfit castaways to focus on.

http://insidesurvivor.com/rumor-season-38-theme-and-title-34310

SPOILERS, THEMES AND TWISTS JUNE 2, 2018

Rumor: Season 38 Theme And Title

By Martin Holmes

What crazy theme has Survivor cooked up next?

The thirty-eighth edition of Survivor is currently filming in Fiji and Inside Survivor has learned from a number of sources that the title and theme of the season will be Island of Extinction.

What does that mean? Why does it sound like the title of a future Jurassic Park movie? Are we going to see a literal Dodo on Survivor? All valid questions. Let me try and explain the best I can.

After each Tribal Council, the eliminated castaway will have a choice to leave the game or go to the Island of Extinction where they will have no shelter, limited food supplies and nothing but time on their hands as they await a chance to potentially get back in the game. They can choose to quit at any time. Basically Redemption Island but without the weekly duels.

Earlier this week Inside Survivor announced four returning castaways would be competing on season 38 and one can’t help but think this twist is a way to prolong their screen-time should they be voted out. It could also act as an incentive for the newbies not to eliminate the veterans, knowing that there is a chance they could come back.

Island of Extinction sounds like an updated version of the original Ghost Island concept which was one of the ideas on the table for season 30 back in 2014. Inside Survivor posted about the old Ghost Island concept last year after a source shared with us a pitch document detailing the theme. In the pitch, Ghost Island is described as a location where eliminated players live together with “a shelter and only meager supplies” while waiting for an opportunity to return at a later point in the season.

The pitch went on to say that those remaining on the island would compete in an endurance challenge both at the merge and on Day 37, where the winner would be reintroduced to the game. It also said that the focus would be on “an entirely new kind of survival – of the mental kind” and that the lack of alliances would create “a new kind of politicking” where people would “try and figure out how to get others to quit” to increase their chances.

It’s unconfirmed as of this moment whether or not Island of Extinction will run exactly like the original Ghost Island concept, but based on the earlier description, it sounds remarkably similar. But would it be enjoyable to watch people trying to make each other quit? It feels like that could turn nasty and uncomfortable very quickly. On the other end of the spectrum, the eliminated players could choose to look at their stay on the Island of Extinction as a free vacation, which could make for incredibly dull television.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, loki567 said:

What the fuck? So this basically assures that Joe reaches the finals. 

Or David. 

If they’re smart they’d vote Joe out first because he would likely opt for this twist.  Let him get the shelter, fire, and food ready.

• Love 1

I was wondering what kind of gimmick they were going to introduce to get one of these returnees to the end.  Hopefully it backfires on them kind of like how in Redemption Island Russell immediately lost the duel that woudl have kept in the game. 

• Love 4
On 30/05/2018 at 7:50 PM, cherrypj said:

As I understand it, this season is filming right now. Just a matter of time before we find out. 

They sure are, I boated past their island a couple of days ago,  I think they are two weeks into filming from what the locals said. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Joe was just in one of Sierra’s IG live videos a few days ago, so I would think filming just began in the last few days.  Going by Wikipedia and past spring season filming dates it should have started around the first of June.

Edited by LadyChatts
On 6/1/2018 at 4:36 PM, peachmangosteen said:

The Inside Survivor article says they're 'likely' to be captains and it says like Russell and BRob were in RI. What exactly did those 2 do as captains? I don't remember lol.

Hantz?  Nothing, as his tribe froze him out then threw a challenge and voted him out first.

BRob?  Everything, since this was the season with his "cult of personality" that he finally won.

I don't think Joe has much chance of winning, either, because he doesn't have the manipulative ability to make people like or need him so much they won't vote him out or fear him so much they're afraid to vote him out. But if this Extinction Island thing is true, then he might like being there better anyway. So if an EI person gets to come back at final 4 and it's still fire at final 4, does the EI person automatically go to the fire-making challenge? I bet yes, otherwise, the others will band together to vote the returning player out.

If Kelley is a captain and the show is aired next spring, then I'll name a lamb after her. I named a bunch of lambs after Game Changers. Malcolm, Aubry and Zeke were really cute. The one named Sarah liked to sleep with her mouth open.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, SVNBob said:

Hantz?  Nothing, as his tribe froze him out then threw a challenge and voted him out first.

BRob?  Everything, since this was the season with his "cult of personality" that he finally won.

But did the show specifically give them any tasks as 'captain?' 

I assumed the 'captain' moniker was just a way of verbally justifying two vets on separate teams.  

Filming for the season has ended.  Have to say I'm curious what kind of overall cast we will be getting with this theme.  I am sure they are banking on a bunch of groupies letting the captains run the game, and that if that failed, that's where the exile island-ish twist comes in. 

Still thinking at least one captain goes pre-merge and doesn't get to return.

(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 3:38 PM, cherrypj said:

Aubry Bracco, David Wright, Joe Anglim, Kelley Wentworth.

Huh. http://insidesurvivor.com/cast/season-38-returning-captains-revealed

I am cool with these four returning.  Joe is the only one that I was not a fan of (I did not dislike him either, he was always just there).  Not going to lie, I find both Aubry and Kelley attractive.  That being said I did enjoy watching them play before and I felt that Aubry should have won her first season.  Speaking of which I was a tad bit shocked when it said that Aubry played the season before David's.  I could have sworn they played together but I guess I was wrong.  

It's odd I can, for the most part, recall who was on what season and the tribe they were on for older seasons.  However, for recent seasons it becomes jumbled for me.  You would think it would be the opposite, but it is not the case.  I just remember older seasons better.

Edited by BK1978
  • Love 4