Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E08: The Unauthorized Rusical

• Start Topic

45 minutes ago, SFoster21 said:

That is a good point, but if you ask me, Eureka was just the easiest target.  Someone emotional and uptight and insecure that you can poke to make yourself feel better.  What really unleashed her (Vixen’s) beast was Eureka winning.  And then the others named Vixen as the one to go.  Eureka alone restrained herself from saying that, thereby exposing the hollowness of Vixen’s dislike.  It was internal to Vixen, triggered by her need to make someone feel as lousy as she does.

Ding ding ding....we have a winner!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, SFoster21 said:

That is a good point, but if you ask me, Eureka was just the easiest target.  Someone emotional and uptight and insecure that you can poke to make yourself feel better.

I have a slightly different read.  I do think Vixen saw Eureka as an easy target.  And this was abetted by Eureka's displays of insecurity and need for validation.  But I think it is the fact that underneath that insecurity, Eureka has a real confidence in her performance skills.  I think that's was pisses off Vixen.  Eureka was kvetching all over the place about singing, but then succeeded beyond Vixen's expectations.  And that made Vixen act like a poorly raised child.  I also think that's what she was referring to when she mislabeled Eureka's "white privilege."  It was her confidence in her ability. 

(edited)
6 hours ago, BarneySays said:

I have a slightly different read.  I do think Vixen saw Eureka as an easy target.  And this was abetted by Eureka's displays of insecurity and need for validation.  But I think it is the fact that underneath that insecurity, Eureka has a real confidence in her performance skills.  I think that's was pisses off Vixen.  Eureka was kvetching all over the place about singing, but then succeeded beyond Vixen's expectations.  And that made Vixen act like a poorly raised child.  I also think that's what she was referring to when she mislabeled Eureka's "white privilege."  It was her confidence in her ability. 

Eureka's neuroses aside, she is an established strong contender, fan favorite, and returnee with extensive prior experience and the explicit support of the judges. She's the closest a queen can come to winning the show without actually participating till the end, and now she's back for, what may seem to less exposed queens, a victory lap at their expense. In the context of real life, Eurkea is not privileged. In the context of Drag Race, she is royalty with insider status the other queens may only dream of. For example, the Dragoncon challenge was a resounding success in large part because Eureka has extensive past experience from participating in highly attended panels at Dragcon. Most queens would be lucky to just be attendees, yes? 

My reaction to Eureka is (imo) a drag Richard Blais. They are hyper-talented and hyper-competitive people that act like every victory was some sort of tortuous and heroic battle, and every loss is a Greek tragedy that sucks all the oxygen out of the room as they demand everyone drop everything and comfort them. This is not an uncommon trait in highly ambitious people, but it can be especially insufferable when you feel like you're only holding on by the tips of your fingernails.

Vixen's behavior has been unacceptable, but there is absolutely a reason why Eureka, specifically, sets her off and I don't think it's due to trying to bully the weak, etc.

Edited by rozen
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, rozen said:

For example, the Dragoncon challenge was a resounding success in large part because Eureka has extensive past experience from participating in highly attended panels at Dragcon. Most queens would be lucky to just be attendees, yes? 

It's only drag, not international diplomacy.  She was successful because she was committed to her team concept (notwithstanding the eye-rolling from others), is quick on her feet and good in front of an audience.  There is no special skill required in a dragcon panel.  These queens banter and ad lib as part of their jobs all of the time.  I also think calling her royalty, etc. is histrionic.  I don't follow social media, but it appears that she was pretty disliked during her last season.  Hasn't she referred to the negative aftermath of her last go-round on the show? 

(edited)
7 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

Wasn't Eureka in the bottom the first two weeks?  Vixen started hating on her before the Dragon challenge.

Yes, and there was lots of 'omg Eureka, what is going on, you're so fabulous and we know you can do better, this is your time!' from the judges. Somebody like Vixen is not going to roll off doing well only to have the judging panel express confusion on why this other queen isn't crushing her and the rest of the competition as expected. I'm not saying she's right, I just understand why Eureka is such a burr in her saddle.

5 hours ago, BarneySays said:

It's only drag, not international diplomacy.  She was successful because she was committed to her team concept (notwithstanding the eye-rolling from others), is quick on her feet and good in front of an audience.  There is no special skill required in a dragcon panel.  These queens banter and ad lib as part of their jobs all of the time.  I also think calling her royalty, etc. is histrionic.  I don't follow social media, but it appears that she was pretty disliked during her last season.  Hasn't she referred to the negative aftermath of her last go-round on the show? 

All the challenges basically require being quick on your feet and being good in front of an audience (the judges). And good queens bomb, spectacularly and often, as evidenced by Miz Cracker's Snatch Game in this season. Having practice doing a thing makes you better at it and more aware of small things that seem obvious in hindsight but not before you've done them. On top of having to do them in front of Ru. And a national audience. Eureka has strong name value because of RuPaul's drag race and her storyline of a tragic early exit. She herself has spoken of how stressful the pressure is of having tons of people expressing their admiration for her and how they expect her to come back, kick ass, and get the crown. Having people dislike you has nothing to do with whether you're in the upper echelons of known Drag Race queens. Plenty of people hate Raven, Willam, etc, and they're cashing checks off that name recognition regardless. 

Edited by rozen
(edited)
8 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

Wasn't Eureka in the bottom the first two weeks? 

Not the first week. The first week Van-gie lipsynced against Kalorie and Eureka was safe and not in the bottom. The second week Kalorie and Eureka LFYL to The Best of My Love and Eureka won. 

Edited by Temperance
1 hour ago, rozen said:

All the challenges basically require being quick on your feet and being good in front of an audience (the judges). And good queens bomb, spectacularly and often, as evidenced by Miz Cracker's Snatch Game in this season.

Yes, good drag basically requires those things.  That was my point.  And of course one can bomb; no one is perfect.  We all have a bad day- even the most skilled stage actors can give a lackluster performance (believe me!).  I don't think snatch game is a good example because that it sui generis.  One can be witty and have a quick mind, but not be very good at imitation.  Finding that delicate balance between imitation and making a comment on the character is not easy.  In this regard, no one IMO has ever come close to kennedy davenport's little richard.  The imitation was on point and the commentary on him was incisive and hilarious.  I didn't think eureka hit the mark in snatch game, but she was able to bring wit and energy to the character, so that covered up the blandness of the characterization itself.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Temperance said:

Not the first week. The first week Van-gie lipsynced against Kalorie and Eureka was safe and not in the bottom. The second week Kalorie and Eureka LFYL to The Best of My Love and Eureka won. 

Thank you.  

• Love 1
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 12:54 PM, lexington11 said:

Good thing Michelle/Ru clocked her on that comment by pointing out that Cher's look in that performance was very iconic. I can't even when someone wants to be a drag superstar, yet doesn't pay attention to people considered the ultimate gay icons, like Cher, or in previous seasons/challenges, Diana Ross.

That's easy for "old bags" like Ru, Michelle, & me to say that that look was iconic; we saw it live 100 years ago! No one born in the 80's & 90's would recognize that curly triangle "doo" but us oldsters! ;-)

Edited by Fiero425
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Fiero425 said:

That's easy for "old bags" like Ru, Michelle, & me to say that that look was iconic; we saw it live 100 years ago! No one born in the 80's & 90's would recognize that curly triangle "doo" but us oldsters! ;-)

I agree. I'm an "oldster" too, and even I have never seen that performance, so I would never associate that look as iconic Cher. 

A few years ago I worked with a gay man in his early twenties who had never even heard of Madonna. Seriously. So folks really can't assume that the old icons are still revered (or even known) by today's young people, let alone assume that they would recognize some of their lesser looks.

54 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

I agree. I'm an "oldster" too, and even I have never seen that performance, so I would never associate that look as iconic Cher. 

A few years ago I worked with a gay man in his early twenties who had never even heard of Madonna. Seriously. So folks really can't assume that the old icons are still revered (or even known) by today's young people, let alone assume that they would recognize some of their lesser looks.

Cher was more known for her hair than her voice way back when believe it or not! It was a huge deal that she supposedly never cut it and could sit on it easily! She wore some wigs that were short, but that "Jackson" performance was a one shot deal! I tuned in to "S & C Show" just to see her sing that solo with Bob Mackie gown and a new hairstyle; a light representing the moon behind her in silhouette! Just pulling it back into a tight doo with 2 huge pearls in the bun was worth seeing at the time! I don't think people realize how ICONIC that show was! What other could go thru such a continual metamorphosis? After the breakup, Cher & Sonny got solo gigs with the same format, simultaneously telecasting on opposite networks! They were doing the same sketch comedy, then were brought back together after the divorce? It was a bizarre time like people don't know today! That was huge in the "Donna Reed" and "Hazel" era I grew up in! On TV people still had twin beds after marriage and divorcees carried a scarlet letter! It wasn't that long ago that Madonna wearing her bra exposed was scandalous! I could go on, but will cut it! ;-)

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Fiero425 said:

Cher was more known for her hair than her voice way back when believe it or not! It was a huge deal that she supposedly never cut it and could sit on it easily! She wore some wigs that were short, but that "Jackson" performance was a one shot deal! I tuned in to "S & C Show" just to see her sing that solo with Bob Mackie gown and a new hairstyle; a light representing the moon behind her in silhouette! Just pulling it back into a tight doo with 2 huge pearls in the bun was worth seeing at the time! I don't think people realize how ICONIC that show was! What other could go thru such a continual metamorphosis? After the breakup, Cher & Sonny got solo gigs with the same format, simultaneously telecasting on opposite networks! They were doing the same sketch comedy, then were brought back together after the divorce? It was a bizarre time like people don't know today! That was huge in the "Donna Reed" and "Hazel" era I grew up in! On TV people still had twin beds after marriage and divorcees carried a scarlet letter! It wasn't that long ago that Madonna wearing her bra exposed was scandalous! I could go on, but will cut it! ;-)

LOL, yes, all true! OMG, remember when Madonna performed Like a Virgin on the MTV awards in 1984? People's heads almost exploded!

The definitive Cher look for me will always be the super long, straight hair and the Bob Mackie gowns. And remember her nails? If I'm recalling correctly, whatever color she was wearing week to week became an instant bestseller.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Gothish520 said:

LOL, yes, all true! OMG, remember when Madonna performed Like a Virgin on the MTV awards in 1984? People's heads almost exploded!

And speaking of the fact that younger people might not be familiar with those icons and their looks, I grew up in the 90s and still have heard of Madonna's MTV VMA performance. It's up to each queen if they want to educate themselves on drag culture or choose to remain ignorant about it.

• Love 5