Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E22: Town Hall

(edited)
16 minutes ago, idiotwaltz said:

I used to find Mateo insufferable but now I think he and Cheyenne have the best dynamic in the show. 

I feel like I'm in the minority, but I don't like Mateo/Cheyenne as much as I like them with straight men characters to bounce off (like Amy). IMO, their antics are funnier when played off more normal characters.  Mateo/Jonah and Amy/Cheyenne are much funnier pairings to me. But it may be that the Cheyenne character in general doesn't work for me as much as the others do.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 11:25 PM, janie jones said:

Same here, but it's always managers.  If it's managers, who's going to fire them?  An associate could report them to the higher ups, but you're probably not going to have proof. 

They did fire two assistant managers for having sex in the Borders where I worked.  Of course, they were doing it on the general managers desk.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

They did fire two assistant managers for having sex in the Borders where I worked.  Of course, they were doing it on the general managers desk.

Oh damn! That would do it. LOL! I've heard security office, the electronics lock up storage room, stock room, and in one store, the off site storage areas that were rented, but the managers desk is just brazen. 

• Love 2

Garrett won't admit to rigging the camera, though. I doubt Mateo or Cheyenne will turn him in. Dina's the one who would report something like this, but we don't need anyone to report it because it was internationally broadcast.

I do think it's funny that we're worrying about this, when people have sex in the workplace all the time on TV shows, and don't get fired for it. Of course, it's not usually internationally broadcast. But still-- Grey's Anatomy, which I have not watched in years (but which I watched for the first few years it aired), and Scrubs, which I watched until it was cancelled, are workplaces where sex happened all the time and I can't remember a single moment where I or anyone else wondered if someone would be fired for it. I just think it's funny that we're all parsing the real word consequences here, when it's totally accepted elsewhere. I'm not saying we shouldn't speculate, I'm just noticing how funny it is that we are.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, possibilities said:

Garrett won't admit to rigging the camera, though. I doubt Mateo or Cheyenne will turn him in. Dina's the one who would report something like this, but we don't need anyone to report it because it was internationally broadcast.

I do think it's funny that we're worrying about this, when people have sex in the workplace all the time on TV shows, and don't get fired for it. Of course, it's not usually internationally broadcast. But still-- Grey's Anatomy, which I have not watched in years (but which I watched for the first few years it aired), and Scrubs, which I watched until it was cancelled, are workplaces where sex happened all the time and I can't remember a single moment where I or anyone else wondered if someone would be fired for it. I just think it's funny that we're all parsing the real word consequences here, when it's totally accepted elsewhere. I'm not saying we shouldn't speculate, I'm just noticing how funny it is that we are.

Lol on Grey's Anatomy, Bailey's nickname was "Booty Call Bailey" at one point because of how many times she utilized the on-call rooms. I highly doubt Amy and Jonah will face repurcussions for this. If anything, Amy might get demoted because she's technically Jonah's superior (and even that is highly debatable). I think they'll use the ageist email that they found to save themselves.

• Love 1
On 5/4/2018 at 1:02 PM, ClareWalks said:

My point in writing that in the first place was that there is no way she "looks pregnant" *enough* to *have* to write it into the show. They could have totally ignored it and the viewers could have certainly suspended a tiny bit of disbelief that Amy might have just gained a few lbs.

I watched American Housewife for the first time (because Nathan Fillion was guest star) and Katy Noxon, the lead, has apparently been pregnant during both seasons. The show just ignores it, allowing her to be 'fat', instead. Which also is not particularly mentioned, since her weight is only on the high side of average.

With America's stocky build, being a few months along could have been ignored.

• Love 3

I'm not sure why there's any debate about whether they could have ignored the pregnancy? That's a completely moo point, and of course they could have ignored it like other shows have been doing for decades.

They clearly wanted to write her pregnancy into the show.

• Love 9
On 5/3/2018 at 9:30 PM, ClareWalks said:

Oh dang. Even worse than I thought! WTF are they even going to do next season, make her wear a prosthetic belly? Time jump? This was just dumb.

I have a feeling they added it so late so they could feel out the audience’s reaction and figure out the storyline from there. With a lot of hate around it probably will go abortion/miscarriage/adoption route.

• Love 1

Add me to the list of folks who was bummed to see a pregnancy.  I know they don't show abortion on comedies but when Cheyanne was pregnant, Amy seemed to talk a lot about the other "options" she should look at.  It seems weird that Amy quickly changed her mind.  Also, is her state one of those ones that's hard to have an abortion?  

Also... holy moly on the sex scene! I watch this show with my kids (since it's normally aired at 8) and WOW... not only did they fully on show the unbuckling of Jonah but they blurred out his booty, right? I do like that America wasn't naked- I felt that it was an empowering statement on the actress (not that I think she isn't gorgeous).

• Love 4

Not liking this storyline at all. Jonah isn’t all that great nor do I find why amy is so irresistible. I hope they can move on now from the Amy/Jonah crap as it’s my least favorite part of the show (other than hearing the name “Jerushula”, what’s up with that name?)

Also cold shoulder shirts have now been ruined for me because of this show. Surely it must be an inside joke that we’ve never seen Kelly wear anything but those stinking shirts.

i know it’s a sitcom but im allowed to have this stuff still bug me right?

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/14/2018 at 10:46 AM, CurlyATX said:

Add me to the list of folks who was bummed to see a pregnancy.  I know they don't show abortion on comedies but when Cheyanne was pregnant, Amy seemed to talk a lot about the other "options" she should look at.  It seems weird that Amy quickly changed her mind.  Also, is her state one of those ones that's hard to have an abortion?  

Also... holy moly on the sex scene! I watch this show with my kids (since it's normally aired at 8) and WOW... not only did they fully on show the unbuckling of Jonah but they blurred out his booty, right? I do like that America wasn't naked- I felt that it was an empowering statement on the actress (not that I think she isn't gorgeous).

I'm probably in the minority but I like the pregnancy twist. I'm a single mom and I thought it was really refreshing to see Jonah's eventual acceptance of the pregnancy and baby that isn't his (and the final scene of course lol). I've been ghosted many times once I mention my son, and I've been called "damaged goods", so I'm really grateful that this is being shown on tv. Blended families and coparenting are so common now and I really love seeing them tackle those. Really inspirational to see.

As for the abortion, I get it. It adds another layer too by having another child. I'm pro-choice and was told that I should have an abortion (for convenience reasons), but I couldn't do it. I guess what I'm saying is that each situation is individual, and it's a hard, personal choice. I thought it was great that Dina (and Jonah) didn't question her about but were still supportive. Off my soapbox now :) 

YES, that final scene was so well done! Truly awesome work by everyone.

Edited by AprilShowers0417
  • Love 7

I don't think any of us have a problem with single mothers.  The Amy character was already a single mother, to a teenager.

It's just by introducing a new baby, the show appears to be limiting what stories they can pursue going forward.  It's like if you have a group of friends and one or two has a baby: you don't see them as much anymore because the baby takes all their time and attention.  This is a major turn for the Amy character and for the show.

And it's not that it's unrealistic.  I'm sure women Amy's age who work at big box stores become pregnant all the time.  It's very realistic.  If I knew Amy in real life I would be supportive.

That doesn't mean it's going to make good TV, however.  A lifetime of TV watching has left me leery of shows that give a main character a baby half-way through the series run.  Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

• Love 8
On 5/15/2018 at 8:57 PM, Roaster said:

I don't think any of us have a problem with single mothers.  The Amy character was already a single mother, to a teenager.

It's just by introducing a new baby, the show appears to be limiting what stories they can pursue going forward.  It's like if you have a group of friends and one or two has a baby: you don't see them as much anymore because the baby takes all their time and attention.  This is a major turn for the Amy character and for the show.

And it's not that it's unrealistic.  I'm sure women Amy's age who work at big box stores become pregnant all the time.  It's very realistic.  If I knew Amy in real life I would be supportive.

That doesn't mean it's going to make good TV, however.  A lifetime of TV watching has left me leery of shows that give a main character a baby half-way through the series run.  Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

I think Superstore is one of the few that can pull off a baby storyline - I do agree with you that most shows couldn't give a main character a baby without changing the tone. The show has always focused on the store - I think there's only 3 episodes that even have scenes outside of the store. Yes, they do have lives outside of work but those are basically used as supporting storylines. The show is about their work lives and what happens in the store. My son doesn't have much effect, if any, on my work life. I don't want to call Cheyenne's daughter a "supporting story" but she adds to add to Cheyenne's character without taking away from the show's premise. I'm probably wording that horribly. 

Anyway, Adam will probably be watching the baby while Amy's working, so they can use the baby at their discretion without having to constantly explain where the baby is (like Emma on Friends - where did she go? Lol). They'll probably do a few scenes of Amy/Jonah/baby to both explore their relationship and delve into Jonah's background. And use the parallel of Amy's previous pregnancy as a growth for her to become stronger. They can use interesting stories without tying Amy down. A baby will add depth and growth (and plot points) without changing the course too much, if that makes sense?

• Love 2
On 5/11/2018 at 10:32 AM, Skyfall said:

I have a feeling they added it so late so they could feel out the audience’s reaction and figure out the storyline from there. With a lot of hate around it probably will go abortion/miscarriage/adoption route.

I doubt that the audience's reaction will play into it.  They wouldn't have added the "Amy is pregnant" storyline if they didn't already have some idea of how they want it to play out.  A tv show can't just be fan service.

And while I'm not the biggest fan of the idea, I still trust the writers. (Until they give me a reason not to)

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, Kip Hackman said:

I doubt that the audience's reaction will play into it.  They wouldn't have added the "Amy is pregnant" storyline if they didn't already have some idea of how they want it to play out.  A tv show can't just be fan service.

And while I'm not the biggest fan of the idea, I still trust the writers. (Until they give me a reason not to)

Yeah, I agree. They've done three amazing seasons and I trust them to make lots more.   They know what they're doing. ?

If they went by audience reaction (at least based on the social media I've seen), Amy and Jonah would be living in happily married bliss with a perfect life and no conflict whatsoever. And yeah, that's great for a series finale but it doesn't make an interesting show that has lasting power. 

Edited by AprilShowers0417
  • Love 4
(edited)

WOW. They really went for it with this season finale. 

I feel like this is a pretty dependable show. It's consistently enjoyable. Even though there are 22 episode seasons I don't feel like there's random filler that leads to bad episodes or so much heavy stuff that isn't getting resolved. I'm a little worried about how they seemed to go for broke with revealing company... um... not really corruption... discriminatory firing practices? And then Amy getting accidentally pregnant again and hooking up with Jonah on camera. It feels like going too far into the overarching story line camp, more than Dina being a surrogate which actually hasn't disrupted the flow of the show too much. I hope they know what they're doing. 

I will say the random ending was worth it for all of the crowd reaction shots from the worldwide Cloud9 stores.

Edited by aradia22
  • Love 1

QFT. That's a bad message to be sending that if it's the heat of the moment and she's pregnant it's okay not to protect yourself and her.  Go over to the pharmacy and get one. 

Excellent point! They're in a Cloud9. It's not like they have to go out and drive to the store. They're in a store. 

I used to find Mateo insufferable but now I think he and Cheyenne have the best dynamic in the show. 

I still find Mateo insufferable.

• Love 1
On 5/15/2018 at 12:27 PM, OpalNightstream said:

other than hearing the name “Jerushula”, what’s up with that name?)

Jerusha - its an Old Testament name which fits perfectly for someone Glenn would be married too.  Its definitely an annoying name to hear repeatedly.  

• Love 1
On 5/14/2018 at 10:46 AM, CurlyATX said:

They're in St. Louis, I think, but maybe we're putting too much thought into this lol. Abortion isn't conducive to comedy. I'm just so confused why they threw America's pregnancy in in the third trimester. They only had to film what, four more episodes? Just let her sit behind a table or hold a box ffs. Brooklyn Nine Nine pulled it off with Gina, but she's a wacky side character and not part of the alpha couple of the show. Not sure why they're trying to keep Adam relevant either - he's a glorified extra who was only mentioned to remind the audience that Jonah and Amy couldn't bang yet.

On the plus side, that's the only sex scene I've seen featuring a pregnant woman, much less a woman pregnant by someone other than who she's having sex with. It was a hot scene, and I tip my hat to America for showing belly/being shoved aggressively against the wall in passion/hopping up on the table while actually heavily pregnant irl. Must've been a workout! I would've been nervous as her scene partner if I were Ben lol. He also just had a baby irl! 

• Love 7
On 5/18/2018 at 10:57 AM, AprilShowers0417 said:

I think Superstore is one of the few that can pull off a baby storyline - I do agree with you that most shows couldn't give a main character a baby without changing the tone. The show has always focused on the store - I think there's only 3 episodes that even have scenes outside of the store. Yes, they do have lives outside of work but those are basically used as supporting storylines. The show is about their work lives and what happens in the store. My son doesn't have much effect, if any, on my work life. I don't want to call Cheyenne's daughter a "supporting story" but she adds to add to Cheyenne's character without taking away from the show's premise. I'm probably wording that horribly. 

Agreed. 

I’ve waited to comment on this episode till after I watched it a few times. Which took a while now that summer TV has become so abundant and enjoyable.Anyway, I’m in the unpopular camp of being an Amy-Jonah shipper. I like their friendship and their chemistry. They seem to ‘get’ each other in ways that their girlfriends or husband don’t. I sure hope the writers don’t fork up their story next year. 

And I liked that throughout the episode, they tried to avoid each other but kept being on the same page about things—both looking up Myrtle’s HR file, or working together to sabotage the Town Hall, or wanting to explore the manager’s Pride and Prejudice forum. Their love scene was quite passionate, but I didn’t like that it was on camera, only because it took away from the intimacy of their moments together. I did notice on re-watching that Garrett seemed to be the only St. Louis employee/customer who saw the footage. They did put on a good show for viewers around the world, however.

--so I wonder how that’s going to play out next year, with Garrett having this secret knowledge. He doesn’t particularly like Amy or Jonah, so I wonder if he’ll blackmail them. (Does Garrett like anyone, BTW? I mean, he seems to tolerate Cheyenne and Mateo, but actually like anyone? I’m stumped). 

Oh, and I liked how Dina drew out her question and sang Danny Boy just to keep the meeting going till Amy and Jonah arrived. She’s gotten really nice, at least to Amy, her BFF.  

• Love 4

I don't know that anyone will ever see this since I'm watching the series and posting about it 3 years after the fact, but I have to say I'm not into this Amy/Jonah romance. I don't know if the writers had planned this before or if they got the idea because America Ferrara got pregnant, but it looks like they're going to use the pregnancy to prop up Amy and Jonah being the greatest couple ever because he still wants to be with her despite her having a child with her ex-husband. 

I like their scenes where they're just having fun together, like the one where they discover the tunnels and spend the day playing with the recalled merchandise, and I get that they're supposed to be similar in being the voices of reason surrounded by eccentrics, but I can't root for them as a couple because Amy's behaviour bugs me. I still think it was incredibly selfish of her to kiss him after she had found out that she was having a baby with Adam and Jonah was with Kelly. She only thought about what she wanted and had no concern about how it might affect him. 

I don't see her as being very nice to him. He's very encouraging and supportive of her (encouraging her to keep the lost and found pants money, asking for a raise, getting her the video game she wanted) and all she does is tell him how annoying he is. Yeah, it's supposed to be her teasing him and "cute banter", but it would be good if she did something nice for him once in a while. Their dynamic is kind of unbalanced and if they were a real couple I wonder how long this would last before Jonah got seriously resentful.

Edited by Miss Scarlet
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Miss Scarlet said:

I don't know that anyone will ever see this since I'm watching the series and posting about it 3 years after the fact, but I have to say I'm not into this Amy/Jonah romance. I don't know if the writers had planned this before or if they got the idea because American Ferrara got pregnant, but it looks like they're going to use the pregnancy to prop up Amy and Jonah being the greatest couple ever because he still wants to be with her despite her having a child with her ex-husband. 

I like their scenes where they're just having fun together, like the one where they discover the tunnels and spend the day playing with the recalled merchandise, and I get that they're supposed to be similar in being the voices of reason surrounded by eccentrics, but I can't root for them as a couple because Amy's behaviour bugs me. I still think it was incredibly selfish of her to kiss him after she had found out that she was having a baby with Adam and Jonah was with Kelly. She only thought about what she wanted and had no concern about how it might affect him. 

I don't see her as being very nice to him. He's very encouraging and supportive of her (encouraging her to keep the lost and found pants money, asking for a raise, getting her the video game she wanted) and all she does is tell him how annoying he is. Yeah, it's supposed to be her teasing him, but it would be good if she did something nice for him once in a while. Their dynamic is kind of unbalanced and if they were a real couple I wonder how long this would last before Jonah got seriously resentful.

You are not alone in this thinking. Enjoy the rest of the series!

• Love 1