Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E22: Two Steps Back

• Start Topic

On 5/9/2018 at 7:48 AM, slothgirl said:

Except that she actually WAS more grown up in the earlier years of the show. The character regressed over time to an almost ridiculous level in some episodes. If she had always been that way, I wouldn't have ever liked the character. But she wasn't, and I did. She was my favorite character until she was my LEAST favorite.

On 5/9/2018 at 7:53 AM, threebluestars said:

I watched some S1 and S2 episodes a few weeks back, and the difference in Abby's character really stands out. I really enjoyed her more early on. They did make the character sillier as the seasons went on. I've noticed that in a lot of shows when a character gets really popular, it's like they try and shoehorn in just the things they think the fans like, but it reduces the character to almost parody level.

I used to love the character of Abby. She was fun, quirky and enjoyable. The actress and character just seemed to fit together. At some point, though, it seemed like the actress was no longer comfortable in the character, or she was just over the show, and it really showed. What used to be fun and quirky turned into over the top and stupid. Whatever the cause, we started fast forwarding through her scenes because they were  painful to watch. Anyway, not sad she's gone.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, greyflannel said:

I used to love the character of Abby. She was fun, quirky and enjoyable. The actress and character just seemed to fit together. At some point, though, it seemed like the actress was no longer comfortable in the character, or she was just over the show, and it really showed. What used to be fun and quirky turned into over the top and stupid. 

It's sad that many of the characters over the run of this show turned into parodies of the character... Abby, Gibbs, Tony, Kate.

Palmer is one of the few that actually started as more of a parody and became MORE dimensional. I also think Tim did, but I know others find Tim lacking. (I've always liked him, and moreso as the series went on). Some of the characters that were developing in interesting ways got killed off. Dorny, Paula, the agent that Lee killed (but I'm pretty sure he was always there just to fullfill that plot development) and Diane, whose onagainoffagain relationship with Fornell was hilarious. 

I think we all enjoyed that poker game because it hearkened back to earlier seasons before Gibbs became so super-grim all the time. The banter has been sorely lacking and replaced by so much angst and soap-opera level drama. Seriously, the plots have been more outrageous than soap operas in the level of danger there people find themselves in. Working for NCIS is more dangerous than being an outed DEA agent in SA.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 1
(edited)

EW recap:

• Okay, time for a bit of conspiracy talk: Abby’s farewell episode relied heavily on the past closeness between Gibbs and Abby, and the flashbacks did the bulk of the emotional heavy lifting between these two characters. This starkly highlighted the fact that these two didn’t share a single in-person scene this season until tonight — and let’s be honest, tonight’s scenes could easily have been filmed separately since the pair never exchanged dialogue or even appeared together in the same shot. It was a tiny sour note in an otherwise lovely goodbye.

TV Insider:

• Question: Is the rumor true about Pauley Perrette leaving because of Mark Harmon's dog? It would explain them not being in any scenes together all season and that weak finale between them. — Leo
  • Matt Roush: I had to look this one up, and even if there were any truth to this story, it wouldn’t explain why they couldn’t rise above and do their job—which is creating the fiction, satisfying to millions of fans, that Gibbs and Abby had a singular father-daughter type bond within the team. The final wave from across the street was so inauthentic it would be laughable if it were actually funny.
Edited by betsyboo
  • Love 5
53 minutes ago, betsyboo said:

EW recap:

• Okay, time for a bit of conspiracy talk: Abby’s farewell episode relied heavily on the past closeness between Gibbs and Abby, and the flashbacks did the bulk of the emotional heavy lifting between these two characters. This starkly highlighted the fact that these two didn’t share a single in-person scene this season until tonight — and let’s be honest, tonight’s scenes could easily have been filmed separately since the pair never exchanged dialogue or even appeared together in the same shot. It was a tiny sour note in an otherwise lovely goodbye.

TV Insider:

• Question: Is the rumor true about Pauley Perrette leaving because of Mark Harmon's dog? It would explain them not being in any scenes together all season and that weak finale between them. — Leo
  • Matt Roush: I had to look this one up, and even if there were any truth to this story, it wouldn’t explain why they couldn’t rise above and do their job—which is creating the fiction, satisfying to millions of fans, that Gibbs and Abby had a singular father-daughter type bond within the team. The final wave from across the street was so inauthentic it would be laughable if it were actually funny.

Bolding by me.  I want to hug Matt Roush....and to the EW recapper?  Tiny sour note my ass!  It wasn't tiny!

• Love 6

And the barking dog didn't get a credit at the end of the show (I slomo checked.)

I left out something, on purpose, but the timing was weirder than I remembered, and the dog did more than bark.

Gibbs went to door got the note, took it inside to read.

Then the dog started to bark, but it didn't just bark, It had a growling barking hissy fit.

Then he goes back to the door, sees Abby. I don't think he even opened the door.  He signs to her.  She signs back. 

The street must have gained a dog since Mike Franks was killed there.

On 5/10/2018 at 1:35 PM, enoughcats said:

Didn't one have  a job at a pet store in DC?

Yes. He figured out Abby was his sister on his own. I think he moved out of state at some point. Don’t remember if Abby ever met the other one. 

29 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

Yes. He figured out Abby was his sister on his own. I think he moved out of state at some point. Don’t remember if Abby ever met the other one. 

Her other borther was her adopted brother that she was raised with

13 hours ago, betsyboo said:

TV Insider:

I decided that this sort of drama requires its own term. So NCIS just got Good-Wifed. TV-tropes pick this up!

• Love 5
(edited)
On 5/9/2018 at 12:47 PM, betsyboo said:

What did Torres say after Gibbs looked him the eyes to see if he needed sleep. I couldn't catch it.

Gibbs checked out Torres by looking into his eyes and then declared, “He looks good”. Torres replied, “I moisturize”.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Gibbs checked out Torres by looking into his eyes and then declared, “He looks good”. Torres replied, “I moisturize”.

Tee! thank you!

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:54 PM, enoughcats said:

The street must have gained a dog since Mike Franks was killed there.

It was pouring down rain the night Mike Franks was killed. Everyone had their dogs inside.

• Love 2
(edited)

That...was just bad.  That was the farewell for a long beloved character?  That lame "I'm taking the hot MI6 agent's body back to be buried next to his mother and I'm starting a charity, never, ever to return, so don't bother me?" farewell?  Killing Abby off would have been a better plot.  At least then we wouldn't have had the extremely lame note and distant sign language goodbye.  Sean Murray and Brian Dietzen could still have had their awesome moments.  Even Wilmer Valderrama and Emily Wickersham were totally selling it.  Only Pauley Perrette and Mark Harmon seemed to be phoning it in.

Speaking of the hot MI6 agent, how lame was it that he couldn't James Bond his way around a mugger/not!mugger?  Sean Connery, Roger Moore, Pierce Brosnan, Timothy Dalton and Daniel Craig--not to mention Ian Fleming and Broccoli Productions and the Queen--would like to have a few words with the NCIS writers....

Edited by HurricaneVal
I thought of more pissed off people.
  • Love 5

HurricaneVal - you forgot George Lazenby :0)

I watched a previous episode the other day.  It was about Tim writing a letter to his father.  Tim was sad and cried.  Did a good job of showing sadness and loss.  This episode Tim did not do a good job.  He looked like he was acting when he was hugging Abby and talking about her leaving. 

• Love 1
On 5/9/2018 at 8:40 AM, Chaos Theory said:

I know people disagree with me about Another character “going rogue” especially Abby but it still makes more sense then Abby walking away from a job she loves for a guy she knew for only a couple of years.  

I was unaware that MH and PP were Fueding.  Don’t really care enough about the show to care but wondered why no Gibbs/Abby scenes.

I thought it was believable because she had a near-death experience that shook her. And Reeves taking a bullet for her touched on all the other experiences with death she's had over the years.

Like you, I had no idea that there was a rift. I hadn't watched since the first few episodes in the show and I don't typically follow the actors in the media. But I had heard that PP was leaving so I tuned in for that. And the lack of any scenes with Gibbs and Abby was obvious to me, too. It wasn't until I came to the forum that I learned there was drama behind the scenes. I want to know what happened but I also want to believe that Pauley is leaving because she's ready to move on to something besides playing Abby. 

On 5/10/2018 at 3:16 AM, scorpio1031 said:

I actually thought that the chemistry between Reeves and Torres was great - always trying to one up each other.  I also liked how he would pop up from the “international desk” with info.  There was still a lot of story to tell.

And of course, he was hot and British and looked great in those suits:) And that accent..???

Just how tall was Reeves? He towered over Torres, which I already knew but it seemed so pronounced this epis2.