Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E05: Stripes and a Stripper Pole

51 minutes ago, mlp said:

On Clinton's FB page, he posted a video the wife in the tutu sort of thing sent to him.  She's cavorting around in very high heels and a goofy outfit that is, I think, supposed to be sexy.  The video just reinforced for me that the wives applied to the show for a lark and to be on TV.  It was obvious that both couples were able to afford having the rooms done without Trading Spaces.

That's the one when I did a search.  Thinks she's quite the little number. 

• Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:21 PM, irisheyes said:

Ok, a Hildi room that I . . . didn’t hate, and the homeowners hated it. Has the universe started spinning backwards?  What is going on?  The paint/appliqués on the Wall were terrible, but those could be easily changed.  I actually really liked the stripes on the wall.  For Hildi, it was actually pretty tasteful. 

Clinton’s room wasn’t bad.  I loved the blue, but obviously they didn’t.  

If you have such exacting standards to be happy (I want a Prince room), then I think you’ve missed the point of TS. 

I just watched my DVR recording of the episode and this was basically my reaction(s). I didn't personally like the stenciled leaves on the wall (it reminded me of wallpaper that my grandmother had in her bathroom) and when they were first stenciling them on the wall the paint was being done sloppily, but if I graded it on a Hildi curve - which I think at this point is what you have to do - it was nice and something you could live with, certainly. It wouldn't cost much money to fix, in other words, at least they don't have to take down feathers or flowers or clean up sand. 

The best part of the

episode for me was the carpenters.  Ty, even though he is a bit too silly sometimes, made me laugh and his bar was beautiful.  His work has been stellar this season.   I miss Amy Wynn but I am really enjoying Joanie.  Her work and her attitude are great also.

Clinton’s room was okay.  I am a blue girl so I enjoyed the colors but not the boldness of the pattern.  I did really like his white washed “brick”.  He seems like a very pleasant person, but a disco b all and a stripper pole, esp. for that particular couple?  Just no.

Hildi’s room was less Hildi like than usual but I still did not like it.   As someone up threaded posted, taking a pattern from a fabric and re-creating it on the wall is not really that creative.  Even though she was toned down, I just do not care for her.  I would have loved to have seen Gen or Doug do a “Prince” inspired room.    They probably would have created something cool and unique.

I also agree as others have posted up thread that the drama with the homeowners seemed decided on beforehand.  I liked the husbands but not the wives.   Over all a very meh eppy, carpenters aside, especially after last week.

• Love 1

First, I do not like it when women say 'Happy Wife/Happy Life' and seem to really mean it.  It makes them look very bratty IMO.  

Since Clinton seemed to be going for a retro lounge look, he did a good job.  I FF through a lot of the show, did the HO's not want to carpet in the basement?  That would be pretty costly to have to replace but they didn't mention anything about it that I saw.  Agree with the above poster who thought the placement of the disco ball so close to the pole was odd. 

I hated Hildi's room........the painted striped wood pieces would have looked great to me if it would have been the only focal point but she mucked it up with all the painted leaves. I also have an aversion to poorly done pillows, they looked flat and very amateurish.  Everything looked very mish mash. Nothing looked like it flowed. I am not a matchy matchy fan but it has to look like it works together.  The saggy paper mache balls?  Ugh.  I have said this before, she always looks personally very stylish but her room designs are the worst.  Her room looked like a before and not an after. 

• Love 9

I thought the women were secretly telegraphing Andy Cohen to consider a "Real Housewives of Baltimore" franchise. Otherwise, I got nothing new to add.

I have seen photos of Clinton's house and it's beautifully decorated. In fact, it was featured on some design-oriented special several years ago. He definitely had a hand in the design. I remember a black chandelier made of genuine stag horns that had been painted black. So, he's not a novice but dressing women and designing rooms are two very different challenges. Geez ... I can't imagine those divas on "What Not to Wear."  Stacy would eat them for breakfast and leave the leftovers for Clinton.

I will dodge the poorly-made throw pillows but I didn't think Hildi's room was that terrible, but I like color.  I read the link to that article and I kind of see her point about all of the hassle they'd have to go through with copyright, etc., if they started using images of Prince, album covers, etc. However, that still doesn't excuse her from at least not incorporating some touch of purple or other elements that represented Prince.

I am not a huge Prince fan, but even I got the "Little Red Corvette" references -- no matter how they were spun! All I know about that song is that former model/groupie/Liv Tyler's mother, Bebe Buell, insists that she was the "muse" for that song.  FWIW!

• Love 2

The designers already have a plan, supplies were purchased, so there's not much to protest and go back on. Presumably when you apply for the show you put your requests in then, right? They must ask you favorite colors etc.

Hildi's wasn't a complete train wreck "hay on the walls" room, but the leaf colors didn't blend with the existing wall color. It was too fussy. The sticks on the walls, may as well been paint. Saving money by paper macheing soccer balls... Hildi, do you know how much soccer balls cost? Get a damn balloon. The thing looked horrible when done anyhow.

I liked Clinton's room a lot. Seemed like a fun loungy room. Nothing horrible.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, andipandi said:

The designers already have a plan, supplies were purchased, so there's not much to protest and go back on. Presumably when you apply for the show you put your requests in then, right? They must ask you favorite colors etc.

From what I read, someone posted a link to a behind the scene's article somewhere in this forum, the designers get a kind of dossier about the client. It is up to them whether they choose to read it or not. It's likes, dislikes, what is off limits (family heirlooms and the like). Stuff that, if you are a good designer (like Vern) you will consider when buying supplies and what not but if you are a crappy designer (Hildi) you totally disregard because you found a scrap of fabric that you think he can replicate on a wall and you can't do much else so you've got to go with it.

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

From what I read, someone posted a link to a behind the scene's article somewhere in this forum, the designers get a kind of dossier about the client. It is up to them whether they choose to read it or not. It's likes, dislikes, what is off limits (family heirlooms and the like). Stuff that, if you are a good designer (like Vern) you will consider when buying supplies and what not but if you are a crappy designer (Hildi) you totally disregard because you found a scrap of fabric that you think he can replicate on a wall and you can't do much else so you've got to go with it.

Yes that was an article Vern wrote.  Paige also said (somewhere) that Jesse, who hated brown, never mentioned it in her dossier. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Lovecat said:

Nope.  Little Red Corvette [::clap-clap, clap]!

For a little while, my head was going "Little Red Corvette...the kind you find in a second-hand store." :)

• Love 7
On 5/5/2018 at 9:10 PM, ams1001 said:

Commercial break! Can the Long Island Medium go away, please?

I can't imagine Jillian Michaels and on this show.  I'll read about it here to see how that happened.

On 5/5/2018 at 11:44 PM, Irlandesa said:

He said he was going to Facebook it live with Hildi and Paige at his apartment.  But I don't see anything on his Instagram or Facebook other than the initial message that he was going to do it.  I'm curious.  He has flat out said he can't say bad things but I think he has a way of saying things without fully saying things.

I don't see it either, and there's some fight going on on his FB page with someone who used to work on WNTW, and something about Stacy blocking Clinton on Instagram.  Strange.

On 5/6/2018 at 2:58 AM, MsTree said:

It's really not even about Hildi's absurd design ideas, but more about the 'damage' she does to said walls. Whether it's numerous nail holes or multiple staples needed to create her mess,

Yes.  I hated the sticks, and to have to fill all those holes, would be a whole lot of work.

• Love 5
On 5/6/2018 at 9:46 AM, Dobian said:

I was surprised at the woman's reaction to Hildi's room, which really wasn't bad at all by Hildi standards.

This comment says all you need to know, about Hilde as a designer.

On 5/6/2018 at 10:16 AM, Mabinogia said:

That both women went on this show to be on TV and acted through the entire thing, both with the intention of using their husbands money to redo their rooms as soon as the TS trucks rolled away.

Did they say that only the husbands were earners?

On 5/6/2018 at 11:57 AM, iMonrey said:

think this show suffers in an era of high-end flipping and remodeling shows where they pour tens of thousands of dollars into expensive finishes. It was a cute idea in its day but it sort of doesn't work anymore. Everything just looks cheap and amateurish.

Yep.  Pull the plug.

On 5/6/2018 at 1:34 PM, Enigma X said:

Maybe my idea of the original purpose of Trading Spaces, other than getting viewers, was to show how to design on a budget  that satisfies the homeowner. Judging from some of the responses here, maybe the purpose is to showcase the designers. Yes, I do understand that from its inception few designers ever designed with the homeowners in mind. Still, I thought that was one of the aims.

Not sure this was the TS idea exactly.  There were other shows that did.  One had a woman named Lisa, I think.

And if Clinton removed a carpet, that's really crappy.  I saw in one house a carpet, that looked to need shampooing, but you wouldn't do that before you had a bunch of people working down there.
And in the Paige link someone posted, she's all about how it's more "New York," and "bars don't have carpet."
By damn, I'd be after his ass, and the shows, for doing that.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

Not sure this was the TS idea exactly.  There were other shows that did.  One had a woman named Lisa, I think.

The whole hook of TS was promulgating the fiction that the neighbors redecorate the rooms, with the assistance of professional designers, because they know the HOs and their tastes, instead of the reality that some godawful wannabe designers do whatever the hell they want and the neighbors are unpaid labor.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, auntjess said:

I don't see it either, and there's some fight going on on his FB page with someone who used to work on WNTW, and something about Stacy blocking Clinton on Instagram.  Strange.

Stacey blocked him awhile ago, he talked about it on The Chew and said he had no clue why and he only learned about it because someone noticed and then it blew up in his mentions on Twitter.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MelinaBallerina said:

I cannot see what Hildi spent $2000 on.  She had a small amount of paint for the stencils, some bars for the wall, some small carpentry items and toys.  Where was the expense?

Good point. Clinton bought all that faux brick, along with all the paint and wood Hildi and him would both have bought. So what did she do with the rest of her money? The ping pong table cover? Was that her room? Did she need more wood for her bar area? I seriously cannot remember much about her room other than the bar was in a dark closet, she painted leaves on most of the walls and had this stripey thing that didn't go with the leaf motif at all so IDK what she thought tied them together.

• Love 2

The HO of the Hildi room should be grateful.  When Hildi said she would reference Prince but not make it obvious, I was envisioning a typical Hildi nightmare where she put a fountain in the middle of the room with purple dye added to the water and call it the Purple Rain room.

• Love 7
On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:50 AM, Lovecat said:

Nope.  Little Red Corvette [::clap-clap, clap]!

Or what I thought the lyrics were for way to long "Pay the rent collect".

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

Good point. Clinton bought all that faux brick, along with all the paint and wood Hildi and him would both have bought. So what did she do with the rest of her money? The ping pong table cover? Was that her room? Did she need more wood for her bar area? I seriously cannot remember much about her room other than the bar was in a dark closet, she painted leaves on most of the walls and had this stripey thing that didn't go with the leaf motif at all so IDK what she thought tied them together.

She even made a point of saying they could never have afforded to paint the whole room in her interview with Paige at the end. I don't get it either?

• Love 1

Hildi's string of slowly deflating balls was the most tragically stupid thing I've ever seen on Trading Spaces.

If she had taken her leaf stencils and instead of spreading them way out across the walls, had grouped several of them into tear drop shapes, guess what she could have done?  Made a paisley accent wall!  A Prince-themed paisley accent wall.  Same colors, same shapes, just draw the curves around them.  

• Love 11
6 hours ago, Marisagf said:

I think this was said upthread, but did Hildi confuse the word "prints" with Prince?

No, that was a deliberate play on words, not something she was confused about.  We know from her conversation with Paige she was aware the wife wanted a Prince room (specifically, a purple Prince room), but her husband didn't.

• Love 1
On 5/5/2018 at 10:34 PM, Lesia said:

Cock 

Tails

How long do you think it'll be before any of them realize the stenciled the "s" in "tails" backwards?

• Love 3

I cannot see what Hildi spent $2000 on.  She had a small amount of paint for the stencils, some bars for the wall, some small carpentry items and toys.  Where was the expense?

I imagine all the bedazzled pillows, fabrics, etc., ate up most of the budget after lumber and paint. 

Since the wife wanted some sort of Prince tribute and the husband did not, I thought there could have been a compromise where just one corner of the room had something significant, like the symbol he used in purple and maybe some of this album covers or something. Something the husband wouldn't be surrounded by but big enough to satisfy the wife. The tiny car on the coffee table was a cop-out and I didn't get the reference to the Eiffel Tower at all.

• Love 5

What always amazes me about Hildi is that when she 'debriefs' with Paige is that she just totally presents her vision and designs as so creative and artistic.  I think she really believes that the home owners should be thrilled to have one of her designs in their home.  It really is about her and her vision without any concern for the home owners.  Her one nod to the female home owner was a cheap model car?  Yep, that's a definite passive-aggressive move on her part.

• Love 7

if you want a certain look in your room, pay a designer and get that look. Otherwise, you get what you get. I think you only go on TS if you want the experience and are willing to have a room to redo after they leave. I would also expect to get ideas that you might want to go back and implement in a more high end way--such as getting someone to build a bar for you with better materials. You know what the budget is.

I couldn't understand the focus on wanting a Prince room. Husband said he didn't want it; Hildi never promised one. Again, do it yourself if you want a Prince room.

• Love 8

In general, I've liked the season excluding both Hildi episodes. I didn't really need one Hildi episode, never mind two, and never mind two homeowners that were un-fun and un-grateful. Maybe Trading Spaces thought their reactions would be entertainment? How is it fun to watch people complain about the process and then f-bomb the results? This episode was pretty much the opposite of what I want to see. In the early seasons of Trading Spaces this kind of episode might work as some form of entertainment, but if they really want a successful reboot, cut it out with the stunt casting of guest designers, boot Hildi from the show, and try to create rooms with interesting new designs that both homeowners love. That's the magic recipe. This show didn't have any of it.

• Love 8
(edited)
12 hours ago, The Closer said:

if they really want a successful reboot, cut it out with the stunt casting of guest designers, boot Hildi from the show, and try to create rooms with interesting new designs that both homeowners love. That's the magic recipe. This show didn't have any of it.

I agree. The two eps before this had fun homeowners who were really into the process. Nice rooms and genuinely happy homeowners. Those eps were such a joy to watch. I'm not into the "drama" anymore. I never really was that into it. Never liked Hildi eps because I feel like she more than any of the others tried to get a negative reaction because she thought it meant she was making something so artsy that "common folk" couldn't understand it. 

They'd be smart to latch onto the Great British Bake Off formula of taking talented people who want to have fun and make something great. Let the drama come naturally from not having enough supplies or running out of time because the design was too ambitious and having to tweak it at the last minute. IDK, maybe it's because the world is a shittier place right now, but I don't need to watch pretentious designers trying to piss people off by giving them tacky or unusable rooms or trying to push some stupid envelope that doesn't need to be pushed. 

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 11

I thought this episode was pretty drama-free. The homeowners didn't like the results, but they were upbeat and pleasant throughout as were the designers. The results were fine, they just weren't something the homeowners liked. There's always a chance of that. There's a link somewhere around here that shows the HOs with the blue room doing some additional work, but not really changing it much.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/8/2018 at 6:09 AM, Marisagf said:

I think this was said upthread, but did Hildi confuse the word "prints" with Prince?

Hildi, if u have to do prints...how easy would it have been to find a cool paisley print...with purple even.  Done a Paisley Park theme...not over the top Prince, but cool touches, fabrics and lighting?

and come on home owners, they are freaking BASEMENTS!

Not exactly taking a big risk there

9 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

They'd be smart to latch onto the Great British Bake Off formula of taking talented people who want to have fun and make something great

Omg...I HATE THE NEW CAST!!!?

Edited by Christi
  • Love 2

I just caught the last few minutes of this again in rerun when I watched my DVR'd new episode, and am I mistaken or did the HO with in red (can't remember her name) tell her neighbor at the end (after the neighbor hated the room) that she liked Hildi personally but didn't care for her style?  Was that not the same HO who said mid-episode that if their room didn't look good, she wanted Hildi to come over and redesign it for her?

On 5/6/2018 at 11:49 AM, absolutelyido said:

Totally agree about Clinton's room. Between the blue walls, white brick, and concrete floors it was very cold. As an occasional use party room it was great, but definitely not an inviting place for relaxing. 

Both times this season, Hildi has taken an inspiration fabric and tried to almost mimic it on the walls, then added an art project of balls/eggs hanging on a string. But, yeah, Hildi you're too innovative and edgy to create a Prince room. Not.

Hildi just isn't imaginative enough to think outside the literal box of a purple Prince room.  One of the most acclaimed Prince performances was at the Miami Superbowl in the pouring rain. He wore an aqua-blue suit with a coral shirt. How about using accents of those colors instead of purple (which the husband said he hated). Maybe have artful close-up pictures of guitars (they don't have to be purple) since Prince's guitar skills were legendary. Add some pictures or a mural or something referencing rain drops. I'm sure a great designer could have come up with some better ideas than these to reference Prince in an innovative way. Of course, I'm not convince that the HO Prince superfan would have gotten something too subtle because when Paige mentioned the Little Red Corvette as a Prince-reference she said that Prince didn't even drive a Corvette! 

Another Prince fanatic here. I totally agree that there is so much you could do to referfernce Prince besides purple! I love your Super Bowl colors idea! Seriously, Hildi, if you need to do some stenciling at least do some paisley stencils. Or paint a blue sky and clouds like Prince’s suit in the raspberry beret video. Those leaves were straight out of the early 90’s. And that sculpture was embarrassing. 

• Love 2

Clinton’s room was ghastly. It looked so amateurish like something I would have done in my dorm room back in 1988. Even if he had his preference and incorporated brown into the stripe zig zag I don’t see how that would improve it. 

Yet another missed opportunity for Hilde here. What the “ham sandwich” is right!

On 5/6/2018 at 9:49 AM, absolutelyido said:

Of course, I'm not convince that the HO Prince superfan would have gotten something too subtle because when Paige mentioned the Little Red Corvette as a Prince-reference she said that Prince didn't even drive a Corvette! 

Exactly!  I decided she was just mad about the room and wanted to trash everything about it.

• Love 1
(edited)

They just couldn't keep designing rooms homeowners would actually like, could they? This was the perfect storm of craptacular.  Gather two bitchy princesses who have no business on this show in the first place, and pair them with "Let's Glue Something Hideous to the Walls" Hildi and a fashion designer who installs a stripper pole and thinks it's clever to put the word COCK on the wall?  The producers outdid themselves with this one.

Edited by sarthaz
  • Love 4

This is the first episode of the new version I've watched.  Interesting how so much of what I loved and didn't like is still there.  Designers who say "what do you want to do here?" then say "OK, here is what we are doing and here is the paint".  I love Paige as the hostess.  HOs who are mad that their friends didn't do what they wanted, even though they should know from working with their designer how little say they have.  Seeing interesting ideas, sometimes.

1 hour ago, lh25 said:

This is the first episode of the new version I've watched.  Interesting how so much of what I loved and didn't like is still there.  Designers who say "what do you want to do here?" then say "OK, here is what we are doing and here is the paint".  I love Paige as the hostess.  HOs who are mad that their friends didn't do what they wanted, even though they should know from working with their designer how little say they have.  Seeing interesting ideas, sometimes.

This episode embodied everything that drove me away from the original, the feeling that they were intentionally creating a train wreck because they think that's what we want to see. The previous three episodes were all really good. I didn't love all the designs, but there was a clear effort to make something nice and functional that addressed the homeowners' needs and style -- unlike this episode where Hildi knew the second she stepped foot in that home that there was zero chance they'd want stenciled leaves on their walls, but she did it anyway because she just doesn't give a shit. Those homeowners got lucky she didn't glue cotton balls to the ceiling or install a kitty litter floor or something.

• Love 5

I hope Clinton saying that he will never do it again is true because his room looks like it belongs in a college frat party! Clinton needs to stick with What Not To Wear, Hildi’s room is not much better, I am not a fan of new guest designers thing although I was really impressed with John Gidding’s design in that small room in one of the episodes 

• Love 1

I’ve always hated Hildis designs ( if you can call them that ) and tonight was no exception.  She’s awful.  Every room she does is a dud.  If i knew she was the designer for my room I’d be worried 😧 

• Love 1

I don't think I've ever seen an episode where both homeowners hated their rooms that much.  I didn't mind Clinton's room at all, other than the orange chairs and the concrete floor.  I thought the rest of it looked like a fun party space in a rec room.

The other room - yeah, the plant motifs on the walls were a bit much, but for Hildi, it was actually kind of okay.

On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 3:46 PM, Enigma X said:

I am an introvert and have pops of red and purple among my light grey walls.  Are introverts not "suppose" to like bright colors? I am not being snarky but seriously wondering?

I'm an introvert with strong blue walls in my living room, upstairs bathroom and one bedroom, and gold walls with a dark blue ceiling in my bedroom.  The rest of the house is mostly still beige but only because I can't afford to paint everything yet.

On ‎03‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 2:43 AM, DNR said:

I’ve always hated Hildis designs ( if you can call them that ) and tonight was no exception.  She’s awful.  Every room she does is a dud.  If i knew she was the designer for my room I’d be worried 😧 

I'd meet her on the porch with a shotgun.

• Love 1