Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: Rude Awakenings and The Raptor

• Start Topic

Screen+Shot+2018-04-25+at+2.20.16+PM+%25

Conrad and Devon work tirelessly to save the life of Bradley, a fellow doctor who has fallen through the hospital skylight. As the team contemplates how and why he fell through in the first place, Dr. Bell looks back to when he benched Bradley for falling asleep during surgery. Amidst the madness, Mina is tasked with showing Chastain's new star cardiothoracic surgeon, Dr. AJ Austin, around the hospital, but is caught off-guard by his volatile personality. Meanwhile, Nic finds renewed enthusiasm when she uncovers an oncologist who used to work with Lane, but while paying him a visit, she fears that she's being followed.

Promos

(edited)

I'm loving this show more and more. I'm going to need a renewal. Come on, FOX,  it builds two tenths out of its lead-in. You can count the shows that manage such a feat on the fingers of one hand. Or on one finger. Place it being 9-1-1 and see the synergy at work!

I didn't expect to get a genuine sense of fear and yet I worried that in the end, Conrad would leave and Nic would be attacked in her own home. The feeling of threat went crescendo, the guy on her porch was legit freaky. 

As always, Nic vs Lane was a blast.  So Nic and Conrad share anger issues, interesting. At least Nic didn't blabber everything to Lane. It made me appreciate how Not!EmilyThorne Nic is although a lesser actor than EVC could have phoned it in and played her the safe same way.

I'm not a fan of The Quirky One, in general. I loathed Phoebe by the half-mark of the Friends' run, it took me time to warm up to Monroe on Grimm etc. So, I should hate Austin. But I'm going to be a dissenting voice because oddly, he just...worked for me. I can't hate a character who's fascinated by Mina, I admit I'm a fangirl beyond salvation, please don't stone me with surgical gloves. Yet, I did like Malcolm Jamal Warner's performance; his character could have been utterly ridiculous but to me, he was entertaining -again, I think a lesser actor would have been a disaster and not even believable enought to be disliked. I think what made it instead of breaking it for me is 1) how the writing didn't try to make me love him but let me make up my own mind 2) how his presence reflected positively on the other characters. It was quite a good idea to have Conrad, Mina and Dev be the audience proxy and be all WTF. Their faces were priceless, I LOLed. I loved the ping-pong between Mina and Austin, how once more she didn't take any BS. His scenes with Bell were great, it showcased the latter's shrewd and perceptive side, which could have been forgotten courtesy of Mastermind Hunter. And most of all, he allowed Conrad to have moments of levity, which confirmed what wonders an ounce of humor can do with a character. It was so nice to see usually unflappable Conrad kind of fazed. Austin seems pretty unpredictable, he could be an interesting Chaotic Neutral/Chaotic Good addition to the general mix. I wouldn't want him front and center, less if he goes on with his schtick, but the show began to peel the onion during his confrontation with Bell and if so, he'd be a good supporting character.

Mina was my ray of prickly, unimpressed sunshine. [insert here two or three paragraphs about how awesome she/S.R. Wilson is]. She and Bell never disappoint when ping-ponging. Poor attending, LOL. One thing I loved, too, was how Team Nice isn't always of the same mind or even on the same side. Surgeon vs Trauma/ER was a great reminder of it. It's the kind of nuance I really appreciate. Friends can disagree, no big deal. It makes the scenes of camaraderie, the little winks, the silent support, more real and enjoyable. This is what I'd call mature writing.

I also loved the Bradley suicide-not-suicide storyline. It's this show in a nutshell, as of late. They take a staple of medical shows, and they offer a refreshing take on it. I loved the camaraderie. I loved Dev defending his friend. Loved how I got Brad's whole family dynamics without heavy drama or violins.

Why does Team Shady have to be shady? They're so perfect for each other. The shipper in me suffers. [insert here two or three paragraphs about how awesome Melina K. and Bruce Greenwood are and how can they be almost cute and flirty whereas they're so evil?!] They're getting along too well, there's something brewing.

My favorite part of the show is how I can't wait for the next episode.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, SuzieQ said:

He was such an asshole!  I really don't want that character to be a regular.

Oh yes I thought Dr. Conrad was off putting but I had no idea. It is nice to see a doctor show with some real jerks but this guy is officially wayyyy too far.  And I don't believe for a second that Mina would have ever thought that guy was anything but a jerk to be told off. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I’m intrigued by Theo’s character (I know he’s Dr Austin but he will always be Theo to me). Doctors that nutty fascinate me, and I’m looking forward to him tearing Bell a new one. 

Bell and Lane continue to suck. Man, I hate them. 

That poor surgical resident. I’m glad he’s back ok and can hopefully be happy once he leaves medicine.

• Love 6
(edited)

I missed a minute after commercials, how did they "prove" he wasn't trying to kill himself?

Wow, the preview left me worried they'll end this on a cliffhanger!  Man I don't think I can deal with that.  I was a but blindsided when Nic took the groceries and proved she was not Emily Thorne.  Kuddos to the actress and to the summary above by Happy Harpy :)

I was indifferent to the buffoon guy, but I liked that he seemed to care about his patient.  Or be going to kiss him ha.  If Bell wasn't, well Bell, he'd be great!

Edited by Jlina
  • Love 1

Ok, in the WTF stupid scene. Why in the world would Nic go up and warn Lane about Nashville?  That was the dumbest thing, this character murdered an innocent girl, all Lane did was give her a heads up and a chance hide, threatening or distroy. Poor writing.

• Love 15

I'm sad this show keeps getting rid of characters I like and adding characters I dislike. I'm not feeling Theo and I'm sad the ginger doctor is leaving. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Jlina said:

I missed a minute after commercials, how did they "prove" he wasn't trying to kill himself?

It was a bad reaction to an energy drink(?) that made him pass out. They reproduced the effect on his heart while he was unconscious.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

He’s on methamphetamines to help keep him alert, which caused thickening of his heart. Then the caffeine caused his heart to go into ventricular tachycardia which caused the nosedive. I guess the hospital has to be liable since it’s not a suicide attempt? Or are they not because he still did this to himself. A lot of residents take drugs to keep themselves awake and I cant imagine all the medical mistakes caused by this.

Edited by twoods
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I really liked Austin until how he acted in the OR. That was over the line. But I do admit I like how he and Dr. Okeafor play off each other. I'm intrigued. 

I think they are taking this Lane stuff too far but I have to admit I loved the episode overall. Some great dialogue. 

Anyone know what Conrad's tattoo says on his back? 

• Love 4

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I like Dr. Theo and especially the interactions between him and Mina—he really met his match there. Loved when she told him in the OR that he doesn’t scare her and he backed off. And was not surprised when he told Bell he wanted her as his right hand.

• Love 7

Hubs and I like the new crazy doctor. Hubs kept saying he hoped that man was going to stay. I really enjoyed the end scene with Bell. I am really loving this role they have for Bell. He's actually very competent and seems to be doing well for the hospital even though he's evil and all. I really like the character despite his tendency for evil. He's got so many layers.

I LOVE the dynamics between Mina and Bell. It is so well written and acted. One of the best elements of the show. There is a certain respect and pride Bell has for Mina but you soooo know he'd sell her down the river if he ever needed to. And yet she's like his favourite person in some ways. It's kind of bizarre and awesome.

Nic WHY WHY WHY did you confront Lane who is the ultimate BIG BAD in this series!!!!!??? Grrrrr 

I did like that they had her doing some investigating this episode though.

I liked the cheerful surgeon who fell off the roof. Sad he's leaving. He's so sweet and likeable! 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I LOVE the dynamics between Mina and Bell. It is so well written and acted. One of the best elements of the show. There is a certain respect and pride Bell has for Mina but you soooo know he'd sell her down the river if he ever needed to. And yet she's like his favourite person in some ways. It's kind of bizarre and awesome.

I ship them.  Seems to me they went out and got a black actor to get a love interest for Mina.. and that offends me. She and Dr. Bell are already BFFs.

I like Bell because I don't think he is evil.. just corrupt and loving it. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I like the new Dr Austin character. He was over the top and but put in his place. They are not trying to ignore the fact that he is not a people person/hr nightmare but a good surgeon. At the end of the show it was mentioned that he had numerous jobs over the last few years when Bell offered him one. He's a good character and issues to bring into the show. He's also Dr House-ish.

But amateur sleuth rurse Nancy Drew want to be seems to be writing a chapter in the book "Stupid Things People Do In A Horror Movie". At first that story line had some potential I thought it would amount to nothing more than billing fraud and Doctor ethic codes violation but now were into mob doctor(wait a minute wasn't that a cancelled show several years ago) complete with henchmen. Definitely not Emily Thorn.

I'm not quite sure why the energy drinks caused a suicide attempt, I can see the damaged heart. But to show the pressures of residency I guess that was it. They are constantly trying to show the trials and tribulations of American medicine.

More Dr Austin

Edited by misstwpherecool
(edited)

The point was, it wasn’t actually a suicide attempt. The energy drink caused an arrythmia that caused him to pass out and fall.  He did admit he’d thought about it, though.

I don’t think Bell is completely evil (unlike Lane, who absolutely is — really wonder about her backstory). His big problem is an outsize ego from all those years of being a rock star surgeon before the hand tremors turned him into HODAD. It seems plain that Lane is using him and I’ll feel at least a little bit sorry for him when he finally figures that out.

Edited by CarpeFelis
typo
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 5/5/2018 at 9:17 PM, BooBear said:

I ship them.  Seems to me they went out and got a black actor to get a love interest for Mina.. and that offends me. She and Dr. Bell are already BFFs.

If they're looking for a LI for Mina (and not sure it's the case, Dr Theo's sexuality isn't clearly established yet) I'd rather say they looked for a more age-appropriate one. And I'm very thankful for it. Team Shady is already at my usual personal limit, since B.Greenwood and M.Kanakaredes have an age difference of 11 years.

Edited by Happy Harpy