Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Once You've Ruled Out God

Watson and her half sister, Lin, have conflicting reactions when their estranged biological father dies. Also, Holmes and Watson find themselves on the hunt for a stolen plutonium shipment they fear will be used to make a dirty bomb after a Department of Energy inspector is killed with a lightning gun.

Promo:

Loved the mention of the "Dutch reach" a way that the Dutch open the doors to their cars to lessen the chance of "dooring" a cyclist. One opens one's door with the right hand, meaning you have to turn your body enough to see a little behind you, thus avoiding collision. It works. I wish everyone did it.

"It's not a terrorist act, it's a heist!" sounds like a great introductory line to a big musical number.

Joan and her father's letter. I didn't buy that she would throw it away, even in a temporary way. Sweet resolution, though.

• Love 8
(edited)

Forgot to mention, but I laughed out loud when the guy who said "Hand to God, I'm not cheating on you" was instantly struck dead by lightning.

Edited by basil
  • Love 22
5 hours ago, basil said:

Joan and her father's letter. I didn't buy that she would throw it away, even in a temporary way. Sweet resolution, though.

I agree particularly because it was obvious how much it hurt her sister and that she felt forgotten and even though it wasnt addressed to her she would want to know if anything important was revealed.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Is nobody else worried that Japan is selling nuclear materials to anyone who has the cash. Did they every retrieve the missing nuclear material?

They found out where it is being stored.

Another excellent episode.

• Love 1

I was worried in earlier seasons that they would eventually try to join Sherlock and Joan romantically and I am so glad that they didn't.  It's so nice to see a platonic relationship like this, where they don't say much in the way of mushy things to each other but you know that they would do anything for each other.

It was nice to see the resolution with Joan and her dad.  I hope Joan develops a closer relationship with her sister.  I'm enjoying the writing this season and dealing with Sherlock's injury.

• Love 12

Just when I thought, okay they didn't go with the familiar face of the week (Alimi Ballard) as the perp, they did. Somewhat disappointed in that.

Otherwise, I thought it was pretty good.

I have a friend whose 20something year old son struggles with the same condition Sherlock has, as a result of a couple of concussions as a boy. Thanks to this show, I'm learning more about the kinds of struggles that have only been mentioned in milder terms (headaches, trouble concentrating).

• Love 6

I liked that they got the first murder resolved quickly - and that it was pretty much separate from the dirty bomb (and heist) situation. Some of the cases from previous seasons were so convoluted that I was not sure how things ended up - - and they caused the end of the episodes to be a lengthy exposition dump by Sherlock. 
And the twist at the end was satisfying and surprising. 

I guess it is a TV rule that all major characters must come from miserable childhoods and never have supportive relationships with any living parents. (I think over 50% of characters on CBS shows were "bounced around through several foster families." )

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I have a friend whose 20something year old son struggles with the same condition Sherlock has, as a result of a couple of concussions as a boy. Thanks to this show, I'm learning more about the kinds of struggles that have only been mentioned in milder terms (headaches, trouble concentrating).

I live in a city where hockey is everything for both watching and playing.  As a result, many kids get concussions.  Last year our local paper did an extensive series on the after effects of concussions which was very interesting to read.  One of the doctors who specializes in concussions said that the magic number is 2.  The body seems to be able to heal from 2 concussions, but after that, all bets are off and what can happen to you can vary wildly from one person to the next.  They stressed how important it was to follow the correct treatment when you have a concussion.

• Love 6

I hope we see more of Sherlock putting together puzzles. I laughed out loud at Unicorn Utopia and Joan's mention of Pretty Princess Parties!

Bonus points if Clyde strolls by with a puzzle piece in his mouth.

2 hours ago, AEMom said:

It's so nice to see a platonic relationship like this, where they don't say much in the way of mushy things to each other but you know that they would do anything for each other.

This is my favorite aspect of the show. Followed closely by Joan's wardrobe.

• Love 21
1 hour ago, shrewd.buddha said:

I liked that they got the first murder resolved quickly - and that it was pretty much separate from the dirty bomb (and heist) situation.

They did? I'm so embarrassed, somehow I missed how they resolved the first murder. 

Okay, I'm only a little embarrassed. I'd never watched this show before so I was confused for most of it. I watched because my friend was on this episode. Apparently he filmed for five days but they left most of his stuff on the cutting room floor...but he was left with a few lines and did lead a heist, so I was happy for him.

Now how did they resolve that first murder?

• Love 3

I really liked this one except for the final twist.  I just found it really stretching credibility that the government official (forget his title) would have been behind the plutonium theft-coverup/heist and presumably the murder of the ex-con.  I realize it's a general rule in these shows that your can't bring in the killer out of nowhere but that's my only real issue.   

However, there were a lot of great scenes, and Sherlock trying to bring back his abilities by hook or by crook, even by puzzles, was great to see.  I also liked the subplot with Joan's family very much.  When she said she had trashed the letter I didn't realize it was still in the brownstone, I thought it was gone for good. It was sweet the way Sherlock used his logic to gently persuade her in to opening it.

It's great to see Gregson and Bell so involved this year.  I also would like to see Clyde though!

• Love 6

Dogs in several cities have been electrocuted by stepping on metal items connected to street lights with defective wiring. I wondered for a moment if this was what happened to the "lightning" victim.

Yay, Alimi Ballard. He always plays a good ... oops.

We want Clyde! In a particularly nifty outfit!

• Love 6

Interesting that the murder ended up being only tangentially involved with the main case, really. If the other guy didnt accidentally kill the inspector, they probably never would been involved with the attack/heist. They got the actually murder solved pretty quickly. 

The ending with Joan's letter and her sister was really sweet. I hope that gets a follow up, and we see her sister pop up sometimes. Or at least, Joan mentions hanging out with her off screen. Its nice that their dad wanted them to connect, when he had possession of his faculties. I didnt think she was really going to toss the letter, her curiosity would have gotten to her, even if she didnt want to open old wounds again. 

I also liked how Joans issues with her dad tied into Sherlock and his head injury. I really like how this subplot is going, its working to add a lot of good character stuff, while not taking over the story. Does anyone but Joan know? I guess Gregson and Bell will probably find out eventually, maybe when he gets worse, and it starts to affect his work, or become more noticeable? Johnny is killing this whole plot, as I knew he would. 

So people in the Netherlands open their door all the way, to avoid bikes? Good to know! Always learning new things on this show. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Jeffurry said:

Now how did they resolve that first murder?

The external consultant / contractor to the firm that developed the lightning gun was the killer. He travelled to Japan, exhibited symptoms of radiation sickness and had traffic camera proof that he was driving the van.

• Love 2

The murder being solved early on was a nice twist, and then the rest of the episode being about trying to stop the heist.  I did suspect something was going on with the government guy though, since they seemed to be focusing on him more than normal.

Fun seeing Joan's sister again and going more into her history with her father.

Seeing Sherlock having to deal with his condition has been a decent game changer so far.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I did suspect something was going on with the government guy though, since they seemed to be focusing on him more than normal.

Shows so often have one of the guest investigators turn out to be the villain, but this time I was absolutely positive that he was okay. Colour me surprised and embarrassed that he was not okay.

I agree, the stuff with Joan and her family was good.  IIRC, I believe her sister was hostile when she first met Joan.  So I am glad that they are friends now.

Edited by Trey
Punctuation.
  • Love 2

I thought I saw every episode of Elementary but I guess I missed at least one.  When did we learn about Watson's dad and sister?  I just remember the step-dad.

(edited)

"Dogs in several cities have been electrocuted by stepping on metal items connected to street lights with defective wiring. I wondered for a moment if this was what happened to the "lightning" victim."

Including New York. I thought exactly the same thing.

eta: but it usually happens in winter.

Edited by basil
  • Love 1
On 5/8/2018 at 10:06 AM, paigow said:

Marcus: Hey...The Federal Reserve is next door to that Mosque....

Sherlock: A good guess, but you have watched too many movies...

I couldn't help but think of Die Hard with a Vengeance.

On 5/8/2018 at 12:30 PM, roseha said:

It's great to see Gregson and Bell so involved this year. 

It is.  I hope this keeps going.  I was glad Marcus had a chance to spot the car.

I'm waiting for Joan to show up in a tweed suit next.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I love Joan's more tailored look this season so far. Many times her more whimsical outfits looked ridiculous to me, and not even in an amusing way. She somehow rocks the suit and tie in ways I wouldn't have predicted.

• Love 3
On 5/8/2018 at 1:05 AM, basil said:

Forgot to mention, but I laughed out loud when the guy who said "Hand to God, I'm not cheating on you" was instantly struck dead by lightning.

But his wife was cheating, not him, right?

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Mama No Life said:

Not to mention how he knows the style of gravel used for roads all over the tri-state area.

There was another episode where the suspect was lying based on the chemical composition of the soil / sand on his boot....

Correct, so it loses a bit.

We had no way of knowing that at the time. I didn't retract my laugh after I found out he wasn't cheating. Anytime anyone says "Hand to God" anything, then gets struck by lightning, I find it funny.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
12 hours ago, basil said:

Anytime anyone says "Hand to God" anything, then gets struck by lightning, I find it funny.

How true. Saying that, especially on a TV show, is literally putting your life at risk.

• Love 1

Forgot to mention, but I laughed out loud when the guy who said "Hand to God, I'm not cheating on you"w was instantly struck dead by lightning.

Now I'm wondering if this was supposed to be a little aside regarding false accusations in the media lately—not that I personally have heard of any accusations that proved to be false.
And, is what the wife did a common tactic? To deflect one's own cheating by accusing one's innocent partner of cheating? Although I have 3 adult children, but my experience with partners is scant and in the distant past.

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

And, is what the wife did a common tactic? To deflect one's own cheating by accusing one's innocent partner of cheating?

Not sure about for this specific example, but it's become increasingly common to accuse others of what you have done.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Loandbehold said:

Not sure about for this specific example, but it's become increasingly common to accuse others of what you have done.

I'm not sure it's increasingly common - it may be just that we're seeing it in the media more often. I think it has always been human nature, a form of projection.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 5/11/2018 at 9:34 PM, basil said:

We had no way of knowing that at the time. I didn't retract my laugh after I found out he wasn't cheating. Anytime anyone says "Hand to God" anything, then gets struck by lightning, I find it funny.

This is truth!

(edited)
On 5/8/2018 at 8:24 AM, woodstock said:

This is my favorite aspect of the show. Followed closely by Joan's wardrobe.

I might be on my own on this, but Joan’s wardrobe is often the LEAST of my favorite things about the show.  I often feel like they’re trying to strangle her.  Case in point, that black and white number she wore last week.  Heavy long-sleeve white T-shirt under that very cute black sleeveless sweater.  Suit and tie this week.  Add  heavy, masculine shoes/boots .  

She used to dress a lot quirkier.  Sometimes a hit, sometimes a miss.  I’m not saying they need to make her a sex kitten, but it’s nice when they occasionally make her look like something less than an uptight schoolmarm.

Edited by LisainCali
Autocorrect sucks
  • Love 6

Ah, beauty. I think "heavy booted suit and tie Joan" is a thousand times sexier than the weird contraptions they used to dress her in, which I often thought made her look like she was unsure whether she was a sailboat or a pile of laundry. Joan's fashion is a real eye of the beholder kind of situation.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6