Type keyword(s) to search

Naked and Afraid XL - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Finally got to watch the episode tonight. 

I worry that Wes and Gwen are going to be the new Jeff and Laura.  That whole "make sure we have our food" really bugged me. 

Can't wait to see what happens with Seth and Bulent.  

My favorite group is Camp Murder Puddle.  I hope that doesn't change when they join up with Wes and Gwen.

• Love 2

From the preview of the next episode, it almost seems like Bulent and and Seth don’t actually “team up”.  I think Bulent takes one look at Seth and decides to make his own boma on the other side of the water. And there is friction over hunting the same animals. 

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, Inga said:

From the preview of the next episode, it almost seems like Bulent and and Seth don’t actually “team up”.  I think Bulent takes one look at Seth and decides to make his own boma on the other side of the water. And there is friction over hunting the same animals. 

Appropriate that you wrote "hunting" the same animals.  Ain't a whole lot of killin' going on.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Appropriate that you wrote "hunting" the same animals.  Ain't a whole lot of killin' going on.

Bulent isn't starving though. If they're hunting opposite sides of the pond,  he'll probably have to go wake Seth up to keep the snoring from scaring off the animals.

• LOL 8
On 7/8/2020 at 10:46 AM, Inga said:

Ah, our DVR recording cut off before the previews. I just assumed they did team up, based on what I saw. I'll have to make popcorn for next week.

• Love 2

Nice kill Wes.  Don't get too full of yourself.  The new 4 can banish your ass.

Ryan told you he was bringing his tribe of 3 back, Suze is a surprise extra.  They are all hard worker bees so I hope it works.

Was hoping Seth the slug would be wild dog dinner.  As annoying as Bulent is, he sniffed out Seth's uselessness in about 30 seconds.  "He can't use me as an excuse"  Barehanded killer lol!

No bow?  No turtle.  LOL

So Seth manages to finally hit a critter, but can't find it.  Bulent will eat his corpse.  Bulent don't care.

(Yes I know production won't let anybody die)

Bye slug!  "I gave it everything I had"  which wasn't much.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

I'm sure it's an editing issue, but what was with Wes and Gwen and the "Who is that?" at the beginning?  They knew Ryan was coming back with his people.  Yes, Suzanne was an addition, but still?  I was getting flashbacks to Jeff and getting very irritated, but at least that changed.

Not sorry to see Seth go (is anyone?) and even didn't fault Bulent for not sharing his kill.  He coulda thrown him a piece of jerky, tho.  But what do you expect from a jerk?

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Way to leave on a high note, Seth! No Seth, you didn’t get redemption. You just made it clear that you’re definitely a petulant ass who makes bad choices. 

Really glad that Gwen and Wes didn’t pull a Jeff and Laura. I didn’t want to have to stop liking them. 

I adore Ryan, and really hope he makes it through. He was awesome on his first challenge in spite of not making it through 21 days.

Warning for next week in case you didn’t see the previews- do not watch the next episode right after dinner. In addition to vomit shots, there’s going to be a whole lotta poop talk. Rated NR-17 for extra scatological content. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

Seth showed how truly classless he is in his farewell with all the middle finger salutes. Nope, no redemption for you, asshat. Yeah, Bulent had his number the minute he got there. The only thing Seth had managed to get in all his time there was that one pathetic snake. Bulent, on his first day at that location, caught two turtles. 🤨 His comments about Seth’s blind were funny.
The preview showed the six-pack talking about not having a BM for 3 weeks. 😬 

• Love 8
5 hours ago, PaperTree said:

Bye slug!  "I gave it everything I had"  which wasn't much.

If by everything he had he meant sleeping skills maybe. If he would've got off his ass sooner he may not have deteriorated so much. Ya snooze ya lose, loser! Bulent commenting on his poor blind was pretty funny. The only thing I'll miss about him is the potential comedy of Bulent ripping on him.

• Love 6
(edited)
14 hours ago, rlc said:

I adore Ryan, and really hope he makes it through. He was awesome on his first challenge in spite of not making it through 21 days.

Ryan was in a strange position.  His partner tapped and the area where they were was seriously dangerous and scary.  I didn't blame him for tapping then.

13 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Seth showed how truly classless he is in his farewell with all the middle finger salutes. Nope, no redemption for you, asshat. Yeah, Bulent had his number the minute he got there. The only thing Seth had managed to get in all his time there was that one pathetic snake. Bulent, on his first day at that location, caught two turtles.

Bulent isn't a prince among men, but he knew that Seth was a lazy slug who was full of shit, when he met him.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 7
41 minutes ago, Neurochick said:
13 hours ago, rlc said:

Ryan was in a strange position.  His partner tapped and the area where they were was seriously dangerous and scary.  I don't blame him for tapping.

I was wondering about that when he "joined the 21 club". I never saw that episode. He seems like a good guy that I'd expect to make it. Can someone tell me what season and episode?  I hope I can find the full episode online

Not a fan of Bulent, but I am a fan of Bulent mocking Seth. The editing was hilarious. Bulent is truly a beast out there in the wild. I have to give him props for doing so well alone and not whining. 

Seth is horrendous. He is a lazy jackass. He didn't redeem himself. He crawled to 21 days and then tapped. He sucks. Rotten human being. Agree -- totally classless tap out. (Um, Seth... the reason you have haters is that you're really easy to hate. Some self reflection and introspection would be a good thing.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

I’m not a fan of Bulent either but he was spot on regarding Seth and his call about him tapping.  I’m wondering if he’ll do the entire 40 days alone - he seems to be doing ok so far when it comes to getting food.  People like Seth unfortunately are not self aware enough to realize they are the source of their problems with people. 
I like the new six pack team and it was nice to watch an episode without Suz-ahnn complaining so it seems that she’s found her “birds of a feather”. 
I watched Ryan’s first episode today and IMO no doubt if he had a partner that didn’t tap so early he would have easily made the 21 days.  Given the environment he was in it was the right call for him to leave early.  

• Love 2

Oh, man, I wish there was a Clothed and Opinionated episode for this! 

Seth thinking he's hallucinating barbeque - cut to Bulent crunching his way through a roasted turtle. 

I would love to know how many days he survived without Suzanne. He ended up pretty much how I expected him to - crying weakly; or at least trying to but not having enough moisture to succeed. Dear god, I laughed so hard at him begging Bulent for water and then asking like he's being magnanamous offering the bow and arrows. Dude, he's gonna pluck those off your dead body and never look back. Keep pretending you're even participating in this thing. 

And then riding off into the sunset calling it "redemption!" like he wasn't just riding on Suzanne's coattails the entire time.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
(edited)

Well, Seth held out longer than I expected after Su-zaaahn left. I was really expecting him to tap after one night alone and having to do all the things. He's delusional (beyond thinking he's hallucinating BBQ) if he thinks this was redemption. The man thinks it's an accomplishment to starve himself to 22(?) days of a 40-day challenge. He also was annoyed that Bulent, who clearly had no plans to join him, didn't just give him food. Dude...Makani showed up, dehydrated, at your camp and neither you nor Su-zaaahn offered her water. Would it have been nice of Bulent to do so? Eh...it's Bulent. That word is not in his vocabulary unless you can do something for him. Bulent accurately sized up the situation, assessed that you were useless to yourself, much less to him, and figured you'd tap soon anyway so he was not going to give you precious food. I cannot stand Bulent, but he totally had your number. I cannot wait until the reunion show.

And Su-zaaahn? Did you notice how the two camps you approached offered you water right off the bat, and neither of them gave you a resting bitch face interview to determine your worthiness to stay, but gave you (and your team) a chance to prove yourself? Please take this home as a humbling life lesson.

All that said, I freakin' love the teamwork of the combined tribe. So far, so good with them. I'm sure there's going to be some sort of friction later, but for now...they're pretty good.

I think one of two things will happen -- Bulent will continue on his own and meet up with the combined team at extraction, prompting, "Who the hell are you, and where the hell have you been?" Oooor, he winds up joining up with the combined team and will wind up getting banished (no skin off his nose), because he's Bulent.

Edited by Captain Asshat
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Wonder how the producers decided not to offer Seth attention from the 'medics' like other received.  He seemed to be in a medically weakened state.

Bulent is just one hell of a survivalist.  He's obtained catfish without a hook, a rabbit, a lizard using a stick, and turtles.  Resourceful and discriminating about sharing his resources.  One tough fellow.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Liberty said:

Wonder how the producers decided not to offer Seth attention from the 'medics' like other received.  He seemed to be in a medically weakened state.

Bulent is just one hell of a survivalist.  He's obtained catfish without a hook, a rabbit, a lizard using a stick, and turtles.  Resourceful and discriminating about sharing his resources.  One tough fellow.

They did offer, but he decided to go ahead and tap. The producer even asked Seth if he was sure he wanted to tap.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

They did offer, but he decided to go ahead and tap. The producer even asked Seth if he was sure he wanted to tap.

I do not recall if medics only offered water and electrolytes to Mikani after she said she wanted to quit or before she said she wanted to go home, or when Wes & Gwen were given the quit or stay option.  I'd have thought production would want to keep Seth around for his unique character traits.

Seth may not have realized the options available to him.  He did seem to place a value on starving and dehydrating himself for 21 days, which Ryan also displayed.

• Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, Liberty said:

According to the N&A Reddit, Seth apparently had what the OP called a "Facebook Live rant" the other day. OP listed the following takeaways (including care he received at the medical tent), most of which are laughable:

• Seth claims he gave Suzanne the lid to his boiling pot when she left camp and that's why he doesn't bring water with him to the blind. Says this act of kindness really screwed him over on the challenge.
  • Seth claims he gave Bulent the coal to start his fire and a pot of water when he arrived. He thinks Bulent is a rude asshole.
  • Seth states that Bulent told him he didn't catch anything in the pond.
  • Seth states that he would of raided Bulent's camp for food had he known Bulent was "hoarding food" from him.
  • Seth lost his way heading back and overshot his camp by atleast a mile. Claims he had holes in his feet down to the muscle/tendon from the 145° degree ground.
  • Seth lost 40lbs in 24 days.
  • Seth claims this was by far the most brutal Naked and Afraid XL challenge to date.
  • Seth claims to have accomplished his primary goal stating that, "I crushed a 21 day challenge in Africa and then threw on a couple bonus days".
  • Seth was given water and electrolytes as well as an assistant producers lunch when evacuated to the med tent.
  • Seth plans to write a book that details his experience with Naked and Afraid and XL one day.
Edited by Captain Asshat
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3

If Seth had foot injuries like that he wouldn’t have been able to put on his sneakers and walk out. Deep wounds down to the muscles and tendons would require surgery to repair, I would think. 🙄

Wouldn’t there have been more than one pot lid since they had more than one pot in camp? 🤔

• Love 8

Seth should watch the other XL challenges that took place in Africa.  They included events like eating monkey piss fruit and the production team joining the XL challengers in their Boma while the dangerous animals roamed around nearby.  All of the challenges are tough. 

About the pot lid, what use is it to taking it (or giving it away) without the pot?  Then working without a pot lid, isn’t it better to have a partially filled pot with water in the blind instead of no water at all?

He should have been the one with all the food when Bulent showed up.  If he’s complaining about food hoarding by someone who pretty much just showed up then he can’t admit how poor he is about surviving in the wild with nothing.  

The wrap up show should be interesting. 

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

If Seth had foot injuries like that he wouldn’t have been able to put on his sneakers and walk out. Deep wounds down to the muscles and tendons would require surgery to repair, I would think. 🙄

Wouldn’t there have been more than one pot lid since they had more than one pot in camp? 🤔

I remember him saying something about "holes in his feet" when he tapped. I had no idea what that meant, other than...he had really bad heat blisters. I also do not believe he had damage down to his muscles and tendons.

I thought there was only the one pot in camp. I think Su-zaaahn and her original partner had the pot. Seth did not bring a pot with him when he showed up...did he?

Edited by Captain Asshat
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

About the pot lid, what use is it to taking it (or giving it away) without the pot?  Then working without a pot lid, isn’t it better to have a partially filled pot with water in the blind instead of no water at all?

I couldn't figure out what Su-zaaahn would do with the pot lid, but shrugged it off. I mean, if it was able to hold enough water to actually boil and drink, how would she have gotten it off the fire? The lid doesn't have a handle to hook with a stick. Seth believing the pot was useless to carry to the blind without a lid is one of the more laughable things in the list.

He was also presumptuous to say Bulent was hoarding food from him. Seriously? The guy was not in Seth's camp. He did not team up with Seth. He had no obligation to share food. Also? I just about blew coffee through my nose laughing at the thought of Seth raiding Bulent's camp for food he felt entitled to, but wasn't.

Finally? "I crushed a 21 day challenge in Africa and then threw on a couple bonus days". Bahaha, no, dear. You crushed nothing. You tapped out of a 40-day challenge, having accomplished nothing, after 24 days. The delusion is strong with this one. Have I mentioned how much I'm looking forward to the reunion special?

Edited by Captain Asshat
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6

The one thing Seth got right was having a bunch of extra pounds on him going into this thing.  That's how he lasted 24 days. I'm surprised he lost 40 pounds--he didn't seem much thinner at the end.  Seth is a loser.

• Love 7

The part I laughed at was Seth falling to the ground saying "water.. water" at Bulents pad, lying there like he was dying. All an act to get Bulents prepared water he had no right to. Then he pops up quite animated to drink it. He first acted like Bulent was going to have to hand feed his dying body the water he begged for because he didn't have his slave, Suzaaahn supplying clean water to his lazy ass.

He's a fake who I think does this to do a crash diet because he has no self restraint in that wart hog blubber body he had to soak in mud holes to cool off in.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Captain Asshat said:

eth states that he would of raided Bulent's camp for food had he known Bulent was "hoarding food" from him.

That would've been entertaining. After he got caught, his face would've been flatter than Bulent's catfish!😄

5 hours ago, Captain Asshat said:

I thought there was only the one pot in camp.

That's what I thought too. Isn't that why Seth had a fit when Su-zaahn gave the water to Makani first?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Did Jon, Sarah, Ryan, and Suzanne join Wes and Gwen and form one large group?  I wasn't sure if they were making their own boma  or expanding  the existing one made by Wes and Gwen.  If they are one group, Jon, Sarah, Ryan, and Suzanne could band together and banish Wes or Gwen.

1 hour ago, Necromancer said:

Did Jon, Sarah, Ryan, and Suzanne join Wes and Gwen and form one large group?  I wasn't sure if they were making their own boma  or expanding  the existing one made by Wes and Gwen.  If they are one group, Jon, Sarah, Ryan, and Suzanne could band together and banish Wes or Gwen.

Why would they do that? Wes is the guy bagging the game.

7 hours ago, Captain Asshat said:

I remember him saying something about "holes in his feet" when he tapped. I had no idea what that meant, other than...he had really bad heat blisters. I also do not believe he had damage down to his muscles and tendons.

I thought there was only the one pot in camp. I think Su-zaaahn and her original partner had the pot. Seth did not bring a pot with him when he showed up...did he?

I thought all the single people dropped in had their own water pot. Kate did.

• Useful 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, Necromancer said:

I think Ryan, Jon, Sarah, and Su-zaaahn simply made their own boma near Wes and Gwen's, rather than expecting Wes and Gwen to reconstruct their existing boma. Based on Wes and Gwen's conversation prior to Ryan's group showing up, they were expecting three more people (rather than four) to show up and discussed the pros and cons of a larger group. So, yeah...I am fairly sure they are considering themselves a group. I think the idea of banishment in N&A is to weed out the weak, annoying, and/or slackers. I don't see why Ryan's group would want to banish Wes or Gwen, who are none of the above. This isn't Survivor. That said, if/when resources run low in the future, the tribe could start discussing where they need to banish a non-producing member, but from what I've seen so far, neither Wes nor Gwen fall under that category. We'll see.

Edited by Captain Asshat
  • Love 2

I think Wes made a comment that if it didn’t work out with the larger group he and Gwen would banish themselves or something like that but since the 4 who showed up built their own boma nearby I’d imagine it would become a “neighbors not roommates” deal.  I don’t see that happening though.  

Yes, Suzaahns teeth are unnaturally blinding white. Obvious tooth whitening going on there before her stint on N&Axl. She better be careful with that and may find later that her tooth enamel has been thinned and damaged. I feel bad for her with those burnt tops of feet. That is extremely painful. That happens to my feet too, but never to that extent. No wonder she looked like  animated bird hopping from stone to stone when they walked up to Wes and Gwens area. She is absolutely skin and bones now and I hand it to her for still having as much energy to work as she does.

I have to admit that I am enjoying Bulents loner role and his sarcastic humor. He does not suffer fools easily. Lol 

He may be a schmuck socially, but he isn't wrong about his perceptions of the people he interacts with there and his dry sarcastic humor cracks me up. He was also very compliant when Sethhole asked him to not be in the water while he was heading to his napping blind for his daily hunt snore fest.

He also didn't have to hand Seth his boiled, prepared and cooled drinking water. Could have told him to be more prepared while in a desert and that he wasn't his new nursemaid slave.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, SassyCat said:

He also didn't have to hand Seth his boiled, prepared and cooled drinking water. Could have told him to be more prepared while in a desert and that he wasn't his new nursemaid slave.

I think he knew by that point that Seth would tap. He probably figured a couple minutes of kindness might earn him the bow and arrow. He grumbled a little when Seth asked him to come up the hill but I think he knew it might be worth it.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Eataton said:

I think he knew by that point that Seth would tap. He probably figured a couple minutes of kindness might earn him the bow and arrow. He grumbled a little when Seth asked him to come up the hill but I think he knew it might be worth it.

I agree. I think he knew Sethhole was about to relent on his strict "bow" rule. That's why he let him have the prepared water. Plus, it would have looked super schmucky not to give a "dying" man, water.

• Love 3

Sorry to see Wes go. Not to discount anyone’s poop issues, but any woman that’s given birth to a child vaginally can relate. Am I right ladies? That first poop is worse than child birth because no one is offering you an epidural. Sorry for the TMI.

I never dreamed I’d feel this way, but I’m rooting for that miserable bastard Bulent.

I’m sure it sounds like I’m a Suzanne apologist, but based on what we are seeing of her lately, she seems to be a great and nurturing partner. I really think she got a bad edit/reputation in the beginning but she was just reacting to Seth being that awful.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, rlc said:

I’m sure it sounds like I’m a Suzanne apologist, but based on what we are seeing of her lately, she seems to be a great and nurturing partner. I really think she got a bad edit/reputation in the beginning but she was just reacting to Seth being that awful.

I remember not really liking her during her initial challenge, but she's not so bad here.  I think even Mother Teresa would have a bad reputation after dealing with Seth.

Sorry to see Wes go, but that kind of pain is agonizing.  I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did.  Hope someone else can get some hunting done.  As to the constipation problem, aren't they supplementing with greens?  Makani was eating greens; couldn't they eat those?

• Love 2
(edited)

Is that Seth coming back?  No it's a MONKEY!  LOL!

I just knew Bulent would trash Set's "blind" and rebuild it.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him last the 40 days alone.  If his water holds out.

Sad to see Wes go.  It was a nice kill, but bad news with all the bowel problems.  Neat toilet! 

Interesting point by Gwen that just the 2 of them would have had trouble processing all that meat.

Seems more of a curse at this point.  I imagine there's not a lot of fat on those critters.  No fish?

I hope they overcome.

Edited by PaperTree
  • Love 2

Yeah, Bulent’s quip about mistaking the baboon for Seth was gold! 😆 Bulent has grown on me with his dry humor. 
Poor Wes! He was a boss. So sorry to see him have to go. I can’t even imagine the pain. Ingesting aloe can act as a laxative, but I guess he was wary of it after the havoc it wrought before. Looks as if their meat goes bad next week. I was wondering about preserving that much meat. 

• Love 2

So only 11 or 12 days to go and someone may be getting banished.  Judging from the previews it would have to be Ryan or Bulent. It'll be sad if Ryan gives up and won't hunt anymore. If Bulent joins them and gets banished, he probably wont care and do fine on his own hopefully. He's kinda grown on me too.

• Love 2
(edited)
18 hours ago, madmax said:

Sorry to see Wes go, but that kind of pain is agonizing.  I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did.  Hope someone else can get some hunting done.  As to the constipation problem, aren't they supplementing with greens?  Makani was eating greens; couldn't they eat those?

I thought the same thing, but it looks like their particular area doesn't have a *lot* of greens, and of those, I have no idea if they're edible. They certainly didn't have good luck with the aloe. I vaguely recall something about berries, but now I can't remember if those were at their camp...or were on another episode of regular N&A. They're all running together. 😆

I hated to see Wes go. He was a fantastic teammate with Gwen, and was a good leader for the full group. As for alternate meat sources, they should have some hooks and line. At the very least, Camp Murder Puddle had them. If their water source has catfish or turtles, the spoiled meat we saw in the preview for next week would be fairly good bait on a trotline for both of those.

I still don't like Bulent, but I give him props for his knowledge, skills, and snark. Bulent in this tribe could be...interesting. I am interested in seeing how he gets along in a tribe where the majority of the members are skilled or, at the very least, productive. This tribe, though, thrives on teamwork, which Bulent doesn't seem to be able to get on board with. While he is willing to share food with people he's teamed with, I don't know if he's a "here's today's gameplan for each team member" kind of guy.

Edited by Captain Asshat
  • Love 2

I think the thing with Bulent is that he has this dry, snarky, nasty sense of humor that's great on TV, but probably awful personally.

On an episode of the TV show "Band of Brothers" there's a scene where the American soldiers liberate a concentration camp.  The people were starving and the soldiers wanted to free and feed them.  Suddenly the Red Cross showed up and told the soldiers that if they gave them food right now they could do damage the men's internal organs.  

These survivors, who hadn't eaten in days gobbled up the meat.  Maybe these people, normally don't eat red meat.  I just think it was too much for them.  

Bulent, on the other hand, because he's alone, has eaten small meals, rabbit, fish, maybe that's why he hasn't been blocked.

It would be funny if Bulent was the last man standing.

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Bulent, on the other hand, because he's alone, has eaten small meals, rabbit, fish, maybe that's why he hasn't been blocked.

The fish was probably a big help in avoiding intestinal blockage.  Also, he seems to be more physically active, since he has to do more for himself.  Activity helps to keep things moving.

• Love 3

On Alone, one fellow was catching fish like crazy, smoking it and storing it, and eating it of course.  It gave him diarrhea because of all the fat in the fish.  Maybe these folks should work on adding some fish into their diet. On the other hand, we learned on Alone that moose is very lean and causes the same kind of problems that the XL folks are having.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2