Type keyword(s) to search

Naked and Afraid XL - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I didn’t realize the third hour was gonna be a take on Pillow Talk from 90 Day Fiancée. I like the people they chose for the first ep. Lacy was surprisingly likeable and bless Jake, he didn’t hold back any punches on her. 

That Bulent is one unpleasant dude. Can’t even be quiet at night with the snoring. I’m wondering how long Makani will get away with her do nothing mode of survival this time. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

So glad that shows are realizing how hilarious it is to watch people watching tv. It’s wonderfully meta! The People’s Couch on Bravo back in the day was brilliantly funny. Pillow Talk and now Clothed and Opinionated are must see tv for me. I live alone and these shows give voice to my thoughts. We all need more snark in our lives.

Duct Tape Guy has earned his own meme.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

God that was sad when his alleged leak proof duct tape cup leaked their hard earned water. 

edited to add: I’m completely dead with Jake saying about Josh, “He looks like he’s on day 62.” Oh gawd lol I love that man!

Edited by Lady Iris
  • Love 2

I was really rooting for Dawn, and I truly think she DID prepare for this challenge.  What I gathered (listening to what she shared with us) was that what ultimately caused her to tap out was some sort of panic disorder.  Panic disorders involve recurrent panic attacks along with constant fears about having future attacks and, often, avoiding situations that may trigger or remind someone of previous attacks. I hope that she doesn't obsess about having to leave.  I think that any viewer watching could see that she began the Challenge in a good frame-of-mind.  And I, for one, was relieved that she recognized what was happening to her psychologically and used past experiences to predict what she feared she was headed to, emotionally.  Kudos to Dawn for giving it her best (as a challenger & strong, supportive partner to Suzänne).

P.S.  Yay for Jake's droll 'commentary.'  He ALWAYS cracks me up! (And his Crocs were SO appropriate!)

• Love 2

I also applaud Dawn. Sometimes it takes bravery to know your limits and to admit that you’re just not able to go forward. And I liked that she owned it. Dawn wasn’t looking for sympathy, she knew her mindset would cause problems for her tribe mates and she didn’t want to impede them. Good luck, Dawn.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I also applaud Dawn. Sometimes it takes bravery to know your limits and to admit that you’re just not able to go forward. And I liked that she owned it. Dawn wasn’t looking for sympathy, she knew her mindset would cause problems for her tribe mates and she didn’t want to impede them. Good luck, Dawn.

Eh, she’s a quitter IMO.

• Love 2
On 5/26/2020 at 1:52 PM, Lady Iris said:

I’m completely dead with Jake saying about Josh, “He looks like he’s on day 62.” Oh gawd lol I love that man!

I thought it was pretty funny how he pointed out that the banishment option would definitely not work in Lacy's favor.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 5/20/2020 at 10:46 AM, djlynch said:

Also two people from the episode that started as two men and two women before they became a tribe of four, and they didn't get along with each other, either.

I remember them too, because Max was on that episode.  He was the last man standing.  Three of them tapped and Max completed the challenge.  Max did the 14 day fan challenge, the 21 day challenge, XL and the alone challenge.   The one guy got upset with Max when he told him what to do, and he stomped off like a baby.

Eh, she’s a quitter IMO.

I get why Dawn left, but I'm confused as to why she thought she could do 40 days.  She knew this wasn't going to be easy. 

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 4

From what the editors showed us, I am not certain Gwen & Wes explained to Joshua what Joshua's responsibilities would be.  It seemed like they were so offended that the 'perfect team of two' was expanded, they would not have wanted anyone to join them.  Not suggesting for a moment that Joshua's odd ball behavior created a positive dynamic, but we never saw Gwen & Wes say anything like, 'we need you to get three pots of water a day'.

From that standpoint, Gwen & Wes were like other XL groups, they do not want to be part of a larger group, like that creep Jeff Zausch.  (Of course Jeff failed in his mega challenge)

Gwen & Wes did seem to be using the duct tape for several things after Joshua left.  Thanks Joshua, wonder if the bow + arrows Joshua had were also left behind to Gwen & Wes.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Liberty said:

From what the editors showed us, I am not certain Gwen & Wes explained to Joshua what Joshua's responsibilities would be.  It seemed like they were so offended that the 'perfect team of two' was expanded, they would not have wanted anyone to join them.  Not suggesting for a moment that Joshua's odd ball behavior created a positive dynamic, but we never saw Gwen & Wes say anything like, 'we need you to get three pots of water a day'.

From that standpoint, Gwen & Wes were like other XL groups, they do not want to be part of a larger group, like that creep Jeff Zausch.  (Of course Jeff failed in his mega challenge)

Gwen & Wes did seem to be using the duct tape for several things after Joshua left.  Thanks Joshua, wonder if the bow + arrows Joshua had were also left behind to Gwen & Wes.  

We never saw Joshua ask “What do you need me to do?” either, IIRC. Of course they used the duct tape after Joshua left. Why wouldn’t they?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

We never saw Joshua ask “What do you need me to do?” either, IIRC. Of course they used the duct tape after Joshua left. Why wouldn’t they?

Unless I’m thinking of another team I thought Gwen/Wes had already spoken to Josh about things he should be doing and he either didn’t do it or didn’t do it well.  He just wanted to do what he wanted to do - sit and make weird bird noises.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

Unless I’m thinking of another team I thought Gwen/Wes had already spoken to Josh about things he should be doing and he either didn’t do it or didn’t do it well.  He just wanted to do what he wanted to do - sit and make weird bird noises.

I can't believe they had to remind him of the importance of keeping the fire going while they were out and about and he was just sitting there.  Gwen told him, "We need to have water boiling all the time, so the fire needs to be kept going."

"Oh, okay.  No problem."

• Love 3

I was hoping they would have the former XLers commenting on the episodes each week. ☹️
I pity the team Kate wanders in on. She shouldn’t have been allowed to take the bow and arrow.

Those crocs getting so close to the boma was genuinely scary.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I was hoping they would have the former XLers commenting on the episodes each week. ☹️

Me too -- I really enjoyed that and was hugely disappointed not to see it again this week. I hope it makes a return at some point.

And, yeah, the territorial crocs were absolutely one of the scarier things I think I've ever seen on this show. Were they told they have to stay there until there's some kind of merge in the future, or is it their choice? If they have a choice, I think moving on a bit might not be a bad idea (so long as there's another water source they can access), lol.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I pity the team Kate wanders in on. She shouldn’t have been allowed to take the bow and arrow.

Those crocs getting so close to the boma was genuinely scary.

I do too.  I can’t imagine anyone on any of the other teams putting up with Kate’s bossy ways for long without a blow up especially after they’re all established and working together well.  As the show explained she’s several miles from an available water source so maybe she’ll give up before finding someone else, lol. 
Makani was too nice to Kate.  In her position I would have told her to come and get the water whenever it was ready.  
I would have enjoyed another former XL commentary show too.  Having people coming back to reminisce about their challenge while watching it, meh. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Clothed and Opinionated was back! Yay! I love their reactions and snark.

I didn’t think eating that aloe vera would be a good idea. They should have put it on their skin.

Makani didn’t think through being a vegetarian on a 41 day challenge in Africa. She is stick thin to start with. Nobody can survive that long without sufficient caloric intake. I didn’t even know there were rabbits/hares in Africa. Poor bunny. 
Looks as if Kate will lose her 💩 again.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

Interested to see Gwen & Wes' duct tape rug and slippers!

Was really interesting to see the rabbit, and it pointed out how different each group's local habitat is.

In the group with Sarah, Jonathan and Ryan, Sarah and Jonathan are not getting much screen time.  Ryan is out hunting and clamming, the others must be maintaining the fire and water.

Kate's use of 'you're not hearing me, I'm done' seems to be replacing 'whatever' in contemporary vocabulary.

Interesting to watch Bulent become more critical (and less pleasant) as time passes.  When Kate was around he was accepting of Makani, after Kate left not so much.  Poor Makani, by the time she resorted to eating catfish, her nutritional shortages were already affecting her thought processes.

Ryan is the only archer producing.  Thinking back to how many N & A participants have claimed to be hunters, only a couple have been successful.  It seems like a great deal of time is devoted to waiting in ambush, with very little produced.  

• Love 4
(edited)
12 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Clothed and Opinionated was back! Yay! I love their reactions and snark.

I didn’t think eating that aloe vera would be a good idea. They should have put it on their skin.

Makani didn’t think through being a vegetarian on a 41 day challenge in Africa. She is stick thin to start with. Nobody can survive that long without sufficient caloric intake. I didn’t even know there were rabbits/hares in Africa. Poor bunny. 
Looks as if Kate will lose her 💩 again.

I freakin' love "Clothed and Opinionated." Ya know? Lacey is pretty damn self aware, and Jake is the exact right person for her to be watching with. But, yeah, they all crack me up.

I do have to give Makani credit for realizing she will need to eat meat if she expects to survive (which in N&A-speak means "not tap out"). That said, as a Buddhist vegan, she can't be expected to be all in on "RAAARW...kill and eat meat!" once she had this realization. This was hard for her. She knuckled down and caught that fish and wanted only for it to be humanely killed (not punched and have its head ripped off), which is why she asked Bulent about the knife. She did try to eat the fish. I think her nausea was a combination of her own personal feelings about setting aside a deeply held belief and the fact that her body was just not used to meat of any kind (even if it was just a bite). Your system knows when you are eating something you, deep down, really don't want to eat. This still doesn't mean taking on this challenge was wise for her, but at least she knows she can tap if she really wants to if it comes down to her health, her beliefs, and Bulent being an insensitive choad.

Edited by Captain Asshat
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Liberty said:

Was really interesting to see the rabbit, and it pointed out how different each group's local habitat is.

In the group with Sarah, Jonathan and Ryan, Sarah and Jonathan are not getting much screen time.  Ryan is out hunting and clamming, the others must be maintaining the fire and water.

Kate's use of 'you're not hearing me, I'm done' seems to be replacing 'whatever' in contemporary vocabulary.

Interesting to watch Bulent become more critical (and less pleasant) as time passes.  When Kate was around he was accepting of Makani, after Kate left not so much.  Poor Makani, by the time she resorted to eating catfish, her nutritional shortages were already affecting her thought processes.

At the end of last night’s re-airing of last week’s episode Sarah, Jonathan and Ryan mentioned how well they’re working together and what would happen when others show up - I took that as foreshadowing for last night’s episode and thought Kate would show up, but no (thankfully).  
Seems that Kate didn’t expect going out in her own was going to be so hard, lol.  I loved Lacey’s comment about her own self banishment “10 feet away”.  I’m also enjoying Lacey’s self awareness regarding her own behavior on her challenges.  Maybe it would be an interesting pairing with Kate???

Yes, aloe is for putting on your skin, not eating despite what they were saying beforehand.  I guess if you’re  desperate for food you’d try anything as long as it’s not toxic and doesn’t force you out of the challenge. It seems that Makani isn’t there yet regarding eating anything but given where she is I’d hope she eat something to keep her going through the challenge rather than figure there’s something there for her that is within what she usually eats.  That catfish looks like a start.  

• Love 4
6 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Kate may have been insufferable, but he is no prize either. Poor Makani.

I agree.  Apparently Kate is living rent free in Bulent’s head too.  I’m not looking forward to the potential reunion down the road when the teams merge.  I hope either one or both of them are gone by then.  

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

I agree.  Apparently Kate is living rent free in Bulent’s head too.  I’m not looking forward to the potential reunion down the road when the teams merge.  I hope either one or both of them are gone by then.  

But what would this show be without at least one person getting on our nerves? This time we have two to hate and I'll love watching them fight each other.😂

• LOL 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, Eataton said:

But what would this show be without at least one person getting on our nerves? This time we have two to hate and I'll love watching them fight each other.😂

It will be three if Su-Zahn makes it to a tribe with those two.

Edited to add: I don't speak German, but I strongly suspect that the "ah" sound is not correct for an umlaut over an "A" (ä). I say this based on nothing but my dislike of her condescension when speaking of/to others, and due to that? I wouldn't put it past her to be pretentious enough to spell her name with an umlaut. I think she just wants her name pronounced that way and added the "ä" herself, thinking that's is how to pronounce it. Are there any German speakers here who can shed light on how to properly pronounce her name with the umlaut? If I'm wrong, I'll happily delete this paragraph and admit I was wrong about her being pretentious (but not about the condescension. 😁)

Edited by Captain Asshat
  • LOL 5
7 hours ago, Captain Asshat said:

It will be three if Su-Zahn makes it to a tribe with those two.

She is horrible when it come to her motive for keeping Seth functioning.  If he is of value to her, she want to keep him 'on board'.

She is so desperate to have him as a resource, she even helped remove the leeches.  It may have been more characteristic for her to say 'you got 'em, you get rid of 'em'.  That Canadian may see she was lucky to quit early.  

• Love 2

@Captain Asshat

I took German in school.  I currently don’t speak it but I do remember the alphabet - the “a” is pronounced “ah” similar to how Suz-ahn says it.  I don’t recall any different pronunciation with the umlaut included.  

According to learn-German-easily.com the a with umlaut is pronounced like a in apple or ai in air.   

• Love 1

I’m not prepared to board the Kate hate train just yet. Bulent is probably the saltiest contestant I’ve ever seen on this show. Combine that with his intense laziness and I’d rather self banish than be with him as well. Makani’s passivity would also drive me nuts. Had Makani just agreed with Kate that Bullent was being lazy and snored loud, Kate probably wouldn’t have lost it.

Also- I LOVE RYAN AND I DON’T CARE WHO KNOWS IT!!!

• LOL 3

In German, Ä is pronounced like a long A in English. A without the umlaut is an "ah" sound. The German words for "bear" and "bar" are pronounced pretty much the same as English, and are spelled "bär" and "bar."

But there are also umlauts in some Scandinavian languages, so we can't go by German alone.

• Useful 2
On 6/9/2020 at 2:56 PM, Captain Asshat said:

Are there any German speakers here who can shed light on how to properly pronounce her name with the umlaut?

In German, the "a" is always pronounced like "ah".  The umlaut turns it into what would be a long "a" in English, like in "make" or "say".  Whatever she is doing with that thing, it's not German 🙂 

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

In German, the "a" is always pronounced like "ah".  The umlaut turns it into what would be a long "a" in English, like in "make" or "say".  Whatever she is doing with that thing, it's not German 🙂 

There are LOTS of "individualized" spelling modifications in the good old USA.  Maybe she or her parents just wanted to be creative, spelling rules be damned.

• LOL 1
(edited)

I actually like Bulent. 😊. I just watched the 14 day challenge in Alaska with Steve and Laura ( or was it Sarah?)- that’s what team work is supposed to be about! They were supportIve of each other and worked together! Honestly they were interesting and I think it’s the best show I’ve watched. Not sure how they made it bare foot in Alaska Without frostbite but go team!!

Edited by Kendra143
Better grammar
  • Love 2
On 6/10/2020 at 8:36 AM, rlc said:

I’m not prepared to board the Kate hate train just yet. Bulent is probably the saltiest contestant I’ve ever seen on this show. Combine that with his intense laziness and I’d rather self banish than be with him as well. Makani’s passivity would also drive me nuts. Had Makani just agreed with Kate that Bullent was being lazy and snored loud, Kate probably wouldn’t have lost it.

Also- I LOVE RYAN AND I DON’T CARE WHO KNOWS IT!!!

If it was me in there, from day one I'd know that Kate or Bulant are horrible partners. Even though he got a rabbit, I'd still want to punch him in the face. From the description of the next episode,  Makani has had enough of his crap too.  I don't know if she can make it but that goofy chick is more likable than Kate or Bulant for sure. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Glad the bad aloe won't knock Wes and Gwen out.

Sad for Kate. I thought she would do well in the new tribe!  She's not lazy.

Makani is very strange.  Bulent is as obnoxious as ever.

Seth is a slug.  Suzaaanne is a hard worker.  I understand her concerns.

Makani will probably help them, it she doesn't crash from lack of protein.

Edited by PaperTree
  • Love 3

It looked like Gwen, Wes and Kate would work well as a team.  Oh well.  
I guess hanging out in a blind all day waiting for wildlife to show up involves a lot of sleeping and snoring - Seth isn’t doing anything to help.  

So Makani took a different route and found other people way quicker than Kate did it appears.  Although Suz-Ahn’s concerns about Makani are justified regarding what she can contribute it looked like she was interviewing her for a spot on the team.   She does know that eventually there will probably be one group, right?

Hope Bulent is happy on his own.  I can’t see him getting along with any of the other people there.  

• Love 3

The reunion show with Seth snoring while hunting is something to look forward to.  He is not just an underachiever, but a contentions underachiever.  He is out of touch with his behavior and accomplishments.

Suzaaanne does not seem to have a knack for bringing out the best in Seth, hope she does better with Makani and others as they present themselves.  Since Seth has been unable to deliver and food and does not appear to be helping with daily chores, Suzaaanne would be no worse of alone.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Liberty said:

Suzaaanne would be no worse of alone.

My thoughts exactly. What would she have to lose by accepting Makani? She could have an ally to help motivate Seth. If she turned out as worthless as Seth she could always self-banish.

• Love 3

Makani talks as if she is stoned. Must be the starvation. Even then, she does more than Bulent. Or Seth.

I figured Kate would tap since she had such a severe sunburn. She was as red as a beet. I hope that antelope she hit wasn’t badly wounded. I hate to think of it suffering.

BTW, anyone else watching “Treasure Island with Bear Grylls”? The first episode was interesting, and I’m thinking of starting a thread.

• Love 2

I was completely annoyed by SueZahn and her bossiness. Seth and Makani should make a team and banish SueZahn just for her annoying was. But they would fail without her so....Gwen and Wes dodged a bullet when Kate tapped. She would have made them crazy eventually. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

BTW, anyone else watching “Treasure Island with Bear Grylls”?

I watched it when it ran last fall. Enjoyed it and hope there is a second season.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Kendra143 said:

I was completely annoyed by SueZahn and her bossiness. Seth and Makani should make a team and banish SueZahn just for her annoying was. But they would fail without her so....Gwen and Wes dodged a bullet when Kate tapped. She would have made them crazy eventually. 

This season is strange. 

Usually the people who do XL are the ones who at least finished the 21 day challenge.  This season there are a few who did not finish 21 days. 

Seth and Kate were on the same episode, it was the one where it started with two women and two men and then they all merged.  Kate with with another woman, while Seth was with Max. 

Seth couldn't work with Max because whenever Max would make a suggestion, Seth would stomp off like a two year old.  Either they banished him, or he banished himself and then tapped.  Kate got too cold, I think, started screaming on the beach and tapped.  Max was left by himself, but he finished the challenge, after ALL THREE of his partners tapped (I think one of the women might have had a medical tap though).

• Love 1

Should Wes & Gwen be considered out since they had medical attention?  

Maybe each participant should be allowed a certain amount or medical attention in the same vein as providing cast iron pots.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Liberty said:

Should Wes & Gwen be considered out since they had medical attention?  

Maybe each participant should be allowed a certain amount or medical attention in the same vein as providing cast iron pots.

No, people get medical attention and still stay all the time.

• Love 2
(edited)

I finally realized why I can’t hate on Kate. Her looks remind me of Eleanor Roosevelt, whom I adore. 

Edited by rlc
Clarity
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, rlc said:

I finally realized why I can’t hate on Kate. Her looks remind me of Eleanor Roosevelt, whom I adore. 

I see the resemblance now.  My guess is if she were paired with different people in the beginning her behavior would have been more tolerable and she might have lasted longer.   IIRC I think she got along with her original partner in her 21 day challenge until that partner tapped.    Things get bad and she has a epic meltdown - not good for someone who claims to be a survival instructor.  

• Love 3
(edited)

I really love the dynamic with Gwen and Wes. I'll bet that if they'd found the duiker, Kate would have stayed. Gwen and Wes actually did see her as an asset. I don't think they blamed her at all that the shot seemed to have just grazed the duiker and didn't kill it. Kate's arrow connected, so she'd achieved something that Gwen and Wes hadn't. I think that, given the level of pain Kate said she was in, she just needed food and a real win, and that near miss was just the last straw.

I don't blame Makani for leaving Bulent. Like...at all. This survival challenge is about teamwork. Among other things, she needed more/better fire, and just asked him for help. His reply was, "I don't care about fire. I don't need it." He's not approaching this as a team. And he doesn't give a crap about her (or anyone else, really), because...why? Because she didn't eat a fish she caught and then let him eat all of? And let him have the whole rabbit, too? Horrors! Makani definitely needs another team. She can't do this alone. Sadly, she found Seth and Su-zaaahn. Seth's idea of a welcome is grunting, "Hunting." Makani even good-heartedly apologized for ruining his hunt, even though he was in a blind, and she had no idea anyone was hunting. Seth brings her to Su-zaaahn, who then proceeds to turn on her greatest resting bitch face and give Makani the shittiest, most defensive job interview ever. (Seriously, I've had interviews like that and left thinking, "I would blow my brains out if I worked for this person.") Both Seth and Su-zaaahn knew Makani had walked a number of miles in the heat, and neither of them offered her even a sip of water. They suck.

Speaking of Team Karen/Slacker: Those two were definitely put together for the drama factor. She is one of those people who sees someone take a break, takes on more tasks, and then complains that she has to do all the work. She needs to be in charge and turns into a resentful mom when someone doesn't listen to her. That whole, "I'm just trying to help you succeed" is some condescending middle management/helicopter mom crap. Seth, on the other hand, is a lot of talk and no follow through, but he believes his own hype. When someone calls him on it, he turns into a petulant child -- "Don't tell me what to do." He did that with Max, and he's doing it with Su-zaaahn. I hate that she has some valid points about him, because her attitude and condescending tone when making those points make it really hard for me to acknowledge that. If Makani stays with them, I'm going to guess that they either all tap, or Makani and Seth tap. Then Su-zaaahn will take no responsibility for her crappy personality and abysmal people skills being part of the problem.

Camp Murderpuddle? I like 'em, but if I see a large cave/hole next to croc-infested waters, I'm leaving. Quickly. Seriously, they need to move their boma. They've found fish in that water hole, which is awesome. But the universe has given them a number of really clear signs that they need to move their boma and just hike to the water hole to fish. Also? Stay away from croc hidey holes!

All I can say is this is going to get really interesting when tribes start to merge, and I'm all in.

Edited by Captain Asshat
  • Love 8
On 6/16/2020 at 7:59 AM, Cobb Salad said:

IIRC I think she got along with her original partner in her 21 day challenge until that partner tapped.    Things get bad and she has a epic meltdown - not good for someone who claims to be a survival instructor.  

That's not what happened with Kate.  She was on a challenge where it began with two women and two men.  One of those men was Seth, the other was Max (who's done every Naked and Afraid challenge).  First Seth banished himself, then the other woman left, maybe because of a medical tap.  Then it was a storm and that's where the footage of Kate screaming her head off comes from.  She tapped.  Max finished the challenge himself.

Bulent doesn't know how to work with anybody.  A great part of survival is working together as a team.  He doesn't have it. 

• Love 5