Type keyword(s) to search

Naked and Afraid XL - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 7/8/2019 at 9:28 AM, Lady Iris said:

Poor Charlie. I really feel for the guy. He wants so badly to finish and its just not in the cards for him no matter how hard he tries.

Who is the uber skinny brunette who seems to be the Breakfast Club Allison of the group. I never hear a peep from her. Does she talk? Does she help?

Seems Karma will be making a visit next week to Jeff. A fever? No...gasp...not a.....

DUN

DUN

DUNNNNN

FEVER!!!!

Hi Lady Iris!  Finally! A voice of reason heeeh!  Uber skinny brunette chick..didnt catch her name.  I think she may be a Freshman 21 dayer. I know, i feel for him.  (Charlie). Theres Clarence who attempted 3 excursions.  He had to tap for medical everyime.  He would push himself beyond...

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, Lake girl said:

It seems like Rylee doesn't do much but let others feed her... 

She kicked serious bee ass this week though. Took a lot of guts clambering up that tree to manually grab that beehive. I really felt bad that it was dead honeycomb though. That was one of the most insane and brave acts I've ever seen on N & A.

Just shut up Jeff. Funny how it took you getting knocked down by a fever to show you the importance of teamwork. He is so lucky they were a decent bunch that didn't shove that in his face a million times over bec he certainly had it coming. I don't know I'd have been able to un-shun him they way they did.

Edited by Lady Iris
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Lady Iris said:

Just shut up Jeff. Funny how it took you getting knocked down by a fever to show you the importance of teamwork. He is so lucky they were a decent bunch that didn't shove that in his face a million times over bec he certainly had it coming. I don't know I'd have been able to un-shun him they way they did.

I'm with you.  The LEAST I would have done was to tell him that it was (metaphorically) really two-faced of him to seek adoption into a "family" that he saw starving on the street while he was living in a mansion.  Then when the mansion burned down, he expected the starving family to take him in, care for him while he was sick, and feed him.  

I'd have set a pace through the jungle that he couldn't keep up with (like what he did to Charlie), and let the camera crew tote him back to the medical tent for evacuation.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Lady Iris said:

Totally this.  It goes a tad to restoring some faith in humanity.  

• Love 5

I remember how Lacey got treated in her XL challenge. I didn't blame the group for handing it back to her after the way she behaved which was worse than Jeff IMO. Jeff is definitely very fortunate the group didn't sit there and moan in ecstasy while eating their bounty of fish.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

She kicked serious bee ass this week though. Took a lot of guts clambering up that tree to manually grab that beehive. I really felt bad that it was dead honeycomb though. That was one of the most insane and brave acts I've ever seen on N & A.

Just watching last nights episode, I know Rylee risked getting stung by all those bees but didn't the hive look empty, could there have been some honey on the under side? It just looked like an a risk not worth taking. But I guess if there was just a little it's better than none. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

Just watching last nights episode, I know Rylee risked getting stung by all those bees but didn't the hive look empty, could there have been some honey on the under side? It just looked like an a risk not worth taking. But I guess if there was just a little it's better than none. 

Dramatic Voice Over Calorie/Protein Counter Guy made it a point to say they could score major calories upwards of 4000. I was thinking those aren't friendly bumblebees. I am really shocked they were able to get that close without injury.

Producer to crew: Guys, it turns out that this is getting kind of boring, watching nine people sitting around, but I’ve come up with an idea! One of the tribe members needs to fake an illness and I think it should be Jeff. It would be so dramatic if the main provider fakes a high fever and light-headedness. And then when his 103.5 fever miraculously goes down overnight, he comes back into the tribe and tells them about his epiphany wrt working together as a team and how sorry he is to have been such a jerk. Great storyline, right?

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

I wouldn’t doubt it.  They never did say what was wrong with him.  I’m wondering if  his being a jerk to the others about hogging all the eel was an act as well - without that what would they have had this season?  I thought this group was made up of generally decent people.  

• Love 3

I think it was 60 days.  I’d have to watch the episodes again to see if they ever mentioned it 😆. Well done Jeff and Laura.

Right now I can’t imagine what they’d do next time - a bunch of the people mentioned how many days total they’ve been on Naked and Afraid so maybe they can have each one of them try to outdo the other but that might be coming too close to Alone from the History channel.   

On the other hand I’d like to see some different people next time and not people who’ve tapped out again and again.  For example, even though I like him, Duck shouldn’t be a part of another redemption team because he’s tapped twice at a drop of a hat.  

I wonder what it is like for these people who have done 40+ days out in nature unplugged from technology, cell phones, etc.  Did this alter their habits because of this?

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

I think it was 60 days.  I’d have to watch the episodes again to see if they ever mentioned it 😆. Well done Jeff and Laura.

Right now I can’t imagine what they’d do next time - a bunch of the people mentioned how many days total they’ve been on Naked and Afraid so maybe they can have each one of them try to outdo the other but that might be coming too close to Alone from the History channel.   

On the other hand I’d like to see some different people next time and not people who’ve tapped out again and again.  For example, even though I like him, Duck shouldn’t be a part of another redemption team because he’s tapped twice at a drop of a hat.  

I wonder what it is like for these people who have done 40+ days out in nature unplugged from technology, cell phones, etc.  Did this alter their habits because of this?

I can't imagine Jeff doing a stint on the Alone Show, with as many times he mentioned how much he LOVED Laura being his partner, I don't think he'd make it without her 😉 lol

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

I’d love to see people who didn’t complete their first season because they had really shitty partners as a redemption team rather than the same faces again and again. 

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, Cobb Salad said:

a bunch of the people mentioned how many days total they’ve been on Naked and Afraid so maybe they can have each one of them try to outdo the other but that might be coming too close to Alone from the History channel.   

I think both Max and Gabrielle did the 14 day fan challenge, the regular 21 day challenge and now XL.  That's a lot of days to be naked in the wild.  I'm glad that Max made it through, he had nothing but shitty partners on his 21 day challenge.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

I can't imagine Jeff doing a stint on the Alone Show, with as many times he mentioned how much he LOVED Laura being his partner, I don't think he'd make it without her 😉 lol

He'd be okay without Laura as long as he has a camera . . . into which he could scream "THIS IS WHAT I LIVE FOR . . . RIGHT HERE!!!!" several times a day.

• LOL 7
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

I wonder how many of them were barfing after gorging on that food when they got back? 🤢

Or getting seriously constipated or something. I would think that your body would need to readjust to digesting normally again.

• Love 8

Things I noticed in the last episode about Jeff that no one has brought up. After getting a cushy nights sleep in an actual tent with blankies and medical aid he comes back to the group and is thrilled to be back with what he calls "the family". 
 I forget who Nicole goes fishing with (sorry ) was it James or Duke? He is so thrilled they come back with an array of fish for all. 
He goes on and on about "feeding the family" and how he was the "old master fisherman" who kept "the family" fed and now passes the torch of "New master fisherman" to James ( or Duke, sorry I have to rewatch) for feeding the "family". 

I don't remember any one time Jeff ever fed the family. All I remember was him being pissy about Laura sharing the smallest eel with the starving people he laughed at for trying to gain nourishment from a small snake split between them all while he and Laura gorged on an oversized eel that would have satisfied the entire bunch of their bellies. Gag me with a spoon.

Sure its easy to be a master fisherman when you have 40 hooks and some snails. Hooks you refused to part with one of to "the family" of obviously starving people. Hooks you placed near the starving people's bait lines trying to take even that attempt at catching something substantial to eat away from them. The way he went on and on about "feeding the family" made me want to reach thru the screen and punch him.

Them he returns to the group after his night of comfort and  practically crushed James ankle with his thoughtless pushing of that million pound log without checking for safety of everyone's position first.

Then he placed himself in the middle of the log carry where it was so Easy to appear he was shouldering some weight carrying it, but it's really the people at both ends of the log that take the brunt of the weighty load.

Then as they are swimming out to sea on the raft, you see him at the back end of it most likely pretending to put energy in the movement forward of the vessel, but I did not see much leg movement by him, like I did see on Duke on the other side of the end of the raft. Most likely Jeff allowed himself to be pulled along by the effort of all the others.
What a parasite he is. He wanted Laura's energy all to himself to parasite off of the whole time. She really is a hard working survivalist, and he knew it. Now I think of Jeff as a parasitic tick.

Gotta hand it to Rylie for attempting to bring honey back to "the family". That was extremely brave of her, not knowing what species of bee she was taking hive parts from. They could have been killer bees. She knew her bee keeping lore and was a champ for that attempt in my book. She's redeemed herself in my eyes. 

As for "The Tick" , he is disgusting in my book.

• Love 9

I want to add, not only is Jeff a tick, but he is a "Master Tick" for knowing exactly where to position himself to disguise his parasitic use of other people's energy while appearing to be helpful.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 7/25/2019 at 4:15 AM, Whyyouneedaname said:

I'd love to see Laura on Alone - I think she'd rock it.

Jeff can just gtfo

• Love 6

Just watched last week's finale. 

Jeff verifies he loves family when they feed him.  He looks like he will verify his family love Sunday on the reunion, he thinks he stands taller by making others look shorter.  Amazing what a little ice, a sleeping bag, and a tent (and who knows what else) can do for one's disposition.  Interestingly, Jeff did not have to quit the challenge to receive comforts the others did not.

The other participants really came through nicely, congratulations to them all.  They accomplished a great deal.  So many of them had unique accomplishments along the way, they each have something to be proud of.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Did anyone watch the reunion show? Any fireworks?

Watching it right now. Only a few minutes in, but Jeff is already insufferable.

”When you were all on day 1, we were on day 21.”

Wait- were they on a 60 day challenge?

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

I did.  There were some tense words between Jeff and Charlie about Jeff not sharing food he caught but in the end it appears they made up.  Jeff and Laura tried to justify their wanting to stay separate based on their experience during their previous XL challenge (then why participate in this one at all?)

i did not notice Nicole there at all.  I wonder what was up with that.  

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/21/2019 at 10:28 PM, Cobb Salad said:

I was on the phone for half the episode so I didn’t pay attention for that part.   Anyway, looks like Nicole did do something useful at the end.  It was a long walk for her to find that pond at the 11th hour to go back to get James and the fishnet but I’m glad they got some good fish.   

The producers probably pointed it out to Nicole to give her something to do on-camera.

Nicole was terrible on her first appearance I thought--she was my least favorite person on the show.  The fact that she was picked for XL makes me think they had trouble filling all of their spots.  Maybe that is also the reason for having dropouts like Duck on the show again.

Edited by riverblue22
  • Love 4

I had to stop watching after about 20 minutes. I was getting too bored (which happens so rarely to me). I saw that Jeff and Charlie had a dust-up in the previews, but I didn’t care, figured it was probably producer-driven and changed the channel.

• Love 1

Jeff likes the attention whether he is right or wrong.  He defended his isolationist policy and praised the 'family' providing for him all in the same show. 

Hope his wilderness guide business goes better than his insurance fraud business.  The fellow has no shame.

Duke was quite quiet.  Where was Duck when Charlie was in the hospital for week?  With the exception of Jeff, these people represented themselves well.

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, Liberty said:

Duke was quite quiet.  Where was Duck when Charlie was in the hospital for week?  With the exception of Jeff, these people represented themselves well.

It appeared that even though everyone there had a chance to speak some just disappeared into the background.  Manu and Christina (who I barely recognized) for example, but they made early exits.  

I was wondering the same about Duck. He quits because Charlie had to go to the hospital.  If he wanted to walk with him to the truck and watch him drive off that’s one thing but to leave the challenge because Charlie had to made no sense at all. IIRC he said his kids told him not to quit this time.  I guess someone he just met is more important than his kids.

Rewatching the finale and when James needed medical attention on the boat, I laughed at his reaction after his recovery and how he said he was the only one who went all the way down to “E”.  It must have been scary before that though.  

Did anyone watch the Naked and Afraid - Sharks episode afterwards?  I think it was a rerun but I hadn’t seen it before.  There were 5 previous Naked and Afraid participants, some of them also had done XL challenges.  That jerk Chris from the first XL challenge (one of the people who bullied Dani J. Into tapping out) was one of them.  I laughed when he said he wanted to go off alone to do stuff, one of the things he berated Dani for on the XL challenge.  

• Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

That jerk Chris from the first XL challenge (one of the people who bullied Dani J. Into tapping out) was one of them.  I laughed when he said he wanted to go off alone to do stuff, one of the things he berated Dani for on the XL challenge.  

Dani is one of my favorites.  "The Chick with the Stick". Chris was a real jerk.  She had an real idiot partner for her 21 day too.   

Edited by Liberty
  • Love 3

Jeff did NOT complete the 60 day challenge. Once you call medical and spend the night in a tent with food and drink, you're obsolete. He is full of himself and a tub of crap if he thinks he made it. 

• Love 3
On 7/25/2019 at 8:41 AM, SassyCat said:

Things I noticed in the last episode about Jeff that no one has brought up. After getting a cushy nights sleep in an actual tent with blankies and medical aid he comes back to the group and is thrilled to be back with what he calls "the family". 
 I forget who Nicole goes fishing with (sorry ) was it James or Duke? He is so thrilled they come back with an array of fish for all. 
He goes on and on about "feeding the family" and how he was the "old master fisherman" who kept "the family" fed and now passes the torch of "New master fisherman" to James ( or Duke, sorry I have to rewatch) for feeding the "family". 

I don't remember any one time Jeff ever fed the family. All I remember was him being pissy about Laura sharing the smallest eel with the starving people he laughed at for trying to gain nourishment from a small snake split between them all while he and Laura gorged on an oversized eel that would have satisfied the entire bunch of their bellies. Gag me with a spoon.

Sure its easy to be a master fisherman when you have 40 hooks and some snails. Hooks you refused to part with one of to "the family" of obviously starving people. Hooks you placed near the starving people's bait lines trying to take even that attempt at catching something substantial to eat away from them. The way he went on and on about "feeding the family" made me want to reach thru the screen and punch him.

Them he returns to the group after his night of comfort and  practically crushed James ankle with his thoughtless pushing of that million pound log without checking for safety of everyone's position first.

Then he placed himself in the middle of the log carry where it was so Easy to appear he was shouldering some weight carrying it, but it's really the people at both ends of the log that take the brunt of the weighty load.

Then as they are swimming out to sea on the raft, you see him at the back end of it most likely pretending to put energy in the movement forward of the vessel, but I did not see much leg movement by him, like I did see on Duke on the other side of the end of the raft. Most likely Jeff allowed himself to be pulled along by the effort of all the others.
What a parasite he is. He wanted Laura's energy all to himself to parasite off of the whole time. She really is a hard working survivalist, and he knew it. Now I think of Jeff as a parasitic tick.

Gotta hand it to Rylie for attempting to bring honey back to "the family". That was extremely brave of her, not knowing what species of bee she was taking hive parts from. They could have been killer bees. She knew her bee keeping lore and was a champ for that attempt in my book. She's redeemed herself in my eyes. 

As for "The Tick" , he is disgusting in my book.

Spot on, every single point.  I love Laura.  She is a tough kick ass chick.  The one thing i didnt love about Laura was when she would catch something and then go nuts screaming and carrying on.  Leave that for the fool.  Yeah you can be happy and celebrate, but you know what that was.  Not cool.  Ok back to the Laura love.  Love when Laura and Steven team up.  They are perfect for each other.  I could see them homesteading in the mtns somewhere.  They just bring out the best in each other.  Not one sided, like the fool lol.  OK.  I say all that to say ....was there any news about Steven getting snake bit right before they began extraction?  I never heard anything.

• Love 1

Watched the "warm-up" show for the season.  Was surprised at how few of the contestants were familiar to me.  A couple of the real sour people were easy to remember, but the others were from episodes that were just a blur in my memory.

Thought it was interesting that both the females from the two girl/one guy episode were back for the same XL, the one girl really disliked the other.

Having a successful 21 day challenge no longer seems to be a requirement.  I guess when they contact these participants and call them "All-Stars" they really like the prestige.

They should start filming an additional XL in an area without COVID, a lot of past participants may be out or work and able to participate in a 6 week project.

I remembered a few of them myself but the others, nothing and I’ve watched the show almost from the beginning.  They’re also all first XL timers too,  thankfully.  I’m tired of seeing the same ones again who just tap out again.  

Seems like the new banishment thing will be interesting with the people who didn’t finish theIr 21 day challenge or will they quit again.  

Yeah, the “All Star” tag irks me when the person couldn’t even complete the initial challenge.  It’s more like a “who’s available / what mix of people can we get that will create enough drama for ratings” group.  

• Love 3

One of the females said 'I successfully completed a 21 day challenge, and no one can take that away from me'.

Who was trying to take that away from her?  This chip on the shoulder attitude, seems to be foreshadowing the editors use to forecast failure.  We'll see.

(And all those trying to take it away from her, stop it.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 5/18/2020 at 3:31 AM, Liberty said:

Thought it was interesting that both the females from the two girl/one guy episode were back for the same XL, the one girl really disliked the other.

Also two people from the episode that started as two men and two women before they became a tribe of four, and they didn't get along with each other, either.

It seemed very heavy on people who were on the season that's just wrapping up, and maybe it's just because this was a very long season (Wikipedia says it's actually two but the first episode of season 11 aired before the last episode of season 10) and it was shown in two hour blocks, but there weren't many people who I recognized without the help of seeing footage from their original challenge.

• Love 1

I can’t believe that ex-Canadian Military woman tapped out on day 2. Geeze. I also can’t believe she decided to wear false eyelashes! 😆 Joshua was a waste of space (and water). The duct tape is useful though. Glad they got to keep it.

3 minutes ago, CoyoteBlue said:

This is the first time I've watched XL and I think I might be watching it more for "Clothed and Opinionated" than anything else. They're hilarious, especially Jake and Lacey.

I didn’t watch it. What did folks say about Joshua?

• Love 1
6 hours ago, CoyoteBlue said:

This is the first time I've watched XL and I think I might be watching it more for "Clothed and Opinionated" than anything else. They're hilarious, especially Jake and Lacey.

“Clothed and Opinionated” was pretty entertaining.  Jake’s always welcome in my opinion.  While I didn’t enjoy Lacey’s presence on her XL challenges I did like her commentary here.   She called the first tap out from the start (“as an expert tap outer” or something like that) so having already seen the episode I laughed when she said that.  
About the 2 hour XL show preceding, it was surprising that Dawn tapped so early.  Gwen and Wes look like they’re in it for the long haul.   The early tappers from their initial challenge being brought in to the team later brought an interesting dynamic to the established 2 person team, especially with the duct tape guy.  At least he had the option to stay, either alone or made part of another team.  His behavior at being banished was unprofessional. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I can’t say I ever liked Lacey on her challenges, but on Clothed and Opinionated, I found her hysterical and at least a little self aware. Jake is always welcome on my screen. 

Suzänne is going to drive me nuts. I didn’t really like her on her challenge. While she was right about her partner at the time, she was also condescending to him, and that’s one of my pet peeves. This time, she blamed her issues with him on the fact that he was male. When this other guy showed up in XL (I forgot his name), her negative initial words about him were about his gender. At that point, all he had done was show up. We haven’t even seen any of the actual bad behavior he showed in his original episode. Again, she had a point about his staying out too long, but the way she voiced it could have been better. I can’t wait until the groups merge and she gets a load of Bulent. When rude, condescending Karen meets rude, condescending Vladimir? The calls for banishment from both of them will be epic. 

Edited by Captain Asshat
  • Love 3
(edited)

I agree with what  everyone has said about the the clothed and opinionated special being hilarious. Not to mention how none of them could pronounce Makani's name correctly LMAO

Edited by Aaron4102
  • LOL 5

Clothed and Opinionated -- that show could be about me! I'm such an armchair critic of Naked and Afraid... but would tap out before my panties hit the ground. 

I missed a few XLs -- so I didn't recognize everyone on the C & O show. Also -- seeing them clean and fed makes a difference 🙂

If I were Dawn, I would have ditched the eyelashes and braided my hair completely. I was sure it was going to go up in flames when she was trying to start that fire!

Joshua -- Mr. Let's Sit on a Log and Make Weird Bird Noises -- he's a jackass. The duct tape schtick was old the first time. Goodbye! 

• Love 1

Watched the first hour "On Demand" this afternoon, went baack to watch the show "On Demand", and they wanted to charge me $3.99 to finish the show I started 6 hours earlier for free.🤔

Maybe tomorrow will be free.

38 minutes ago, Liberty said:

Watched the first hour "On Demand" this afternoon, went baack to watch the show "On Demand", and they wanted to charge me $3.99 to finish the show I started 6 hours earlier for free.🤔

Maybe tomorrow will be free.

It’s up on the Discovery Go app (obviously for free). 

• Love 1

I watched Clothed and Opinionated on Demand (thank goodness it was a fast-forward-able show!). Charlie cracked me up with his “Here’s your bird” reaction to Joshua. 😆I’m surprised none of them mentioned Dawn’s false eyelashes. I mean, WTF?

• Love 1