Type keyword(s) to search

Naked and Afraid XL - General Discussion

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, rlc said:

Lacey is just, ugh.

"That group is toxic.  There's poison in that group."

Actually, Lacey, you're the poison in the group.  The rest of them seem to be getting along just fine.

• Love 12

she is an idiot living alone in her own boma. good one, wonder if the camera crew will allow her to do it? they do have sharp shooters and stuff out there towatch them if they separate at night , she puts them at danger as well. 

• Love 3

Lacy has been pecked by Karma. So, it' oKay for her to tell Mel she is a burden, but she now thinks it's just fine to be upset that no one helped her eat Clams. She is the poison, and I personally can't wait to see her tap. 

• Love 12
11 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I’m glad that next week’s preview shows the solo guy finding them. He has proven that he can bag game. Lacey can go get eaten by hyenas.

I figured it would happen, esp. since the others were failing except for the day of the catfish.  But see what Lacey does.  She' likely to cozy up to him as she knows him from last season and of course she thinks her skills are superior-- so finally someone of what she thinks is her caliber.  Women work in community and Lacey  wants to be an alpha.  That.s usually  in  the men's dynamic.. I've been around women alphas.. They don't make friends--they basically want followers.

• Love 3
(edited)

*Every* alpha, regardless of gender, wants others to be followers, hence the term. Alpha males aren't friends with beta males. They lead them. That said, Lacey doesn't *want* to be an alpha. Lacey completely *believes* she is an alpha. I'm pretty sure that's why she disrespected the women's team after they told her the were rationing the fish, because she felt she *had* to bring back a fish. And, yes, being invited to join a camp means you abide by the rules of that camp -- those women have been way better fed than the others for three weeks, and they did so by rationing their finite food source. Shut up, Lacey, and help your original team do what they're good at -- reinforce and/or improve the boma that your team identified as needing improvement. Lacey's actions at the catfish hole reminded me of the big fight over the bow/arrows last season. The two guys wanted to be the big hunter who fed their tribe. They wound up looking like children. I loved that the fish Lacey caught was half the size of the others.

I'm not a fan of Shane, but he was right that Lacey holds others to a different standard than she holds herself. He pointed out that Lacey told Mel that, because she couldn't contribute, Mel was a burden and should go. Lacey's only reply to that was, "She asked me to tell her." OK, well then? They were still her thoughts on the matter. So if those are her thoughts on people who cannot contribute, she should have no problem thinking the same about herself or taking it in stride when others say that to her. I totally laughed when she said to the camera, "The minute I'm useless to them, they want me to go" or something like that. This from the same woman who said something about tribes leaving their weakest behind to die. Sorry, but if you can't open a clam -- that someone else caught and cooked for you, might I add -- in order to feed yourself? You're weak by your own standards. I cannot wait until she changes her name to Felicia.

Edited by Captain Asshat
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, Captain Asshat said:

*Every* alpha, regardless of gender, wants others to be followers, hence the term. Alpha males aren't friends with beta males. They lead them. That said, Lacey doesn't *want* to be an alpha. Lacey completely *believes* she is an alpha.

Not much difference between a  *wannabe* and a *believer* when no one is buying it in either case.  Desire or belief-- no one is following ,hence the failure.    But lacey's failing delusions aside, the other women *are* working communally and appear to relate as * friends* and equals.  

Actually I think Lacey is looking for screen time.  Her big bold statement to Mel --her little walk in the dark-- -now her own special boma.  She's a diva if nothing else.  And I can't believe she asked Shane to switch places with her in the rain

• Love 5
1 hour ago, seasick said:

Not much difference between a  *wannabe* and a *believer* when no one is buying it in either case.  Desire or belief-- no one is following ,hence the failure.    But lacey's failing delusions aside, the other women *are* working communally and appear to relate as * friends* and equals.  

Actually I think Lacey is looking for screen time.  Her big bold statement to Mel --her little walk in the dark-- -now her own special boma.  She's a diva if nothing else.  And I can't believe she asked Shane to switch places with her in the rain

I loved when Shane wouldn’t switch places with her. That was awesome! Lacey truly sucks.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
(edited)

I noticed that no one else offered to swap places with Lacey and of all people she could have asked, why Shane? 

I also wonder why nobody offered to help her with her clam, has she pissed off the whole group? Are they just letting her hang herself with her own rope? I feel like there's quite a bit more than we are seeing.

I continue to like Trent and Sarah.

Edited by Kelda Feegle
Spellingz
  • Love 3

Melissa is awesome. The audacity of Lacey saying that she wasn’t going to be told what to do by someone who ‘wasn’t at her skill level’. Lacey was finally right about something- Melissa’s skill level is far above Lacey’s, unless we consider being a tone deaf, self righteous, narcissistic shrew a skill. 

• Love 7
14 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Lacey seems like a miserable person.  Shane isn't a social person but I never thought of him as a miserable being.  I wonder what Lacey's children are like.

I think she's super insecure.  I firmly believe she pushed Mel out because the others seemed to really like her (Mel), and Lacey was jealous.  

If she is really like this all the time, then I feel absolutely terrible for her children. 

You guys...Lacey's store is only an hour and a half away from me.  I wonder what she's like in person. 

• Love 5

I agree that Lacey is bitchy, but I also don't think she's such a bad person. I had a lot of sympathy for Shane last season, but this year he seems like an even bigger jerk. Some of the stuff he said to Lacey was pretty much BS to make her feel bad or dis her. 

It's hard to know for sure since we really don't see everything... but I didn't think Lacey was that out of line with what she told Mel. Mel couldn't move, she couldn't do anything. She seemed to me like she was waiting for someone to pretty much give her permission to quit. Lacey is handicapped with her hand, but I wouldn't call that useless. She can still carry one piece of wood, or one pot full of water... she is alert and with it enough to offer suggestions and support to other people (if they wanted it)  

This just seems a lot like last season that there has to be someone for the rest of the group to gang up on.... Shane, Gary and Lacey are bugging me the most on that score and I think they could all go home. 

• Love 1

I hope Lacey's kids are boys, kind of, because it would be hell being her daughter. She says she does not like women that is a tell tale of a person with social problems, I have worked with people like her, they do not do well in business,

as far as alphas, I like to think that everyone is alpha in something.  I was appointed a manager by my angry boss my first year in business, he wanted to punish the group so he appointed me, barely a coder to lead them, it crashed and burned.  When I became a manager later in life (even though I fought against the promotion tooth and nail) it was easier, I was respectful to my staff,  gave credit when someone deserved it  and ended up with the best group, very loyal and we did miracles. So even though I did not want to lead this group, they chose to follow me.  

• Love 1

Attacks on Lacey as a Mom is making me uncomfortable.  I'm  no fan for sure but I think it's going below the belt.  

I'm not a parent but I guess many are..and I"m pretty sure it would kill to hear people attacking your parenting esp from just this glimpse. 

I never take N&A drama too seriously. They may even be encouraging Lacey to create drama since, as much as the castaways talk and talk and talk about it, there really is little danger of a lion/cheetah attack. 

• Love 4

I thought it was weird that after walking 7 miles to join up with the others. Instead of helping enlarge the boma, Sarah wants to walk around and get "the lay of the land" and takes the shovel with her.

(edited)
On 6/12/2018 at 8:09 PM, roctavia said:

I agree that Lacey is bitchy, but I also don't think she's such a bad person. I had a lot of sympathy for Shane last season, but this year he seems like an even bigger jerk. Some of the stuff he said to Lacey was pretty much BS to make her feel bad or dis her. 

It's hard to know for sure since we really don't see everything... but I didn't think Lacey was that out of line with what she told Mel. Mel couldn't move, she couldn't do anything. She seemed to me like she was waiting for someone to pretty much give her permission to quit. Lacey is handicapped with her hand, but I wouldn't call that useless. She can still carry one piece of wood, or one pot full of water... she is alert and with it enough to offer suggestions and support to other people (if they wanted it) 

I don't think she's a bad person. I just think she sucks. In my mind, there's a difference. For example, a bad person would sabotage someone they want to leave. A person who sucks is just a jerk. Yeah, Mel asked her what she thought. You can express your thoughts and provide a professional opinion about someone's fitness to remain in the challenge without being a colossal dick about it. I'd say that, in a tribe situation like this, it's probably best if you do. This isn't Survivor or a competition among these folks. This is set up to see them come together to keep merging groups alive. You have to keep the tribe strong, yes, but that includes keeping interpersonal relationships strong. I'm not a survivalist, but I do play team sports. So, as a very loose analogy:

If a player is hurt, you substitute the player. You do not help that player continue in their position. You are not, however, a jerk about it, even if the player states he/she can continue. You sub for the good of the team/game. If there are one or more toxic people on a team -- people with skills who benefit the team during games, but they cause crap or screaming matches among teammates -- the team can implode. Games are lost this way. Teams and tribes get more done when the members are respectful and on the same page.

As I said, I don't really like Shane either. He's aware of his faults. He tries to correct them. He just falls back into them (with a vengeance) after stress, fatigue, and hunger sets in, then he just can't get over it. When he goes off, he goes off in an ugly way. I hate that they keep bringing him back for these things. He can't handle the physical or interpersonal aspects of the show. By the same token, I don't think Lacey is mentally built for this kind of cooperative challenge either. She doesn't offer suggestions or support. She is prone to doing things, despite being told the thing she wants to do is a bit foolhardy (climbing the tree early in the season, and then wanting to catch more catfish than truly needed [against the home tribe's wishes]), and if she doesn't get her way, she takes off. Last we saw, she left the boma at night, and then decided she needed her own room...erm...boma. I'm interested in seeing how that plays out.

I realize that N&A is not about survival as much as it's a sociology experiment. I'd love to see how Les Stroud handles these situations, but again...I'm sure he'd just wonder why he has to be naked.

Edited by Captain Asshat
Punctuation is important.
  • Love 3

I thought the pack composing of the nasty gossiping Alana was quite unimpressive!  They were fed by the Alpha male team who decided to leave on their own to extraction.  When the nasties finally killed something, a caman, they took scraps to the Alpha male team begrudgingly!!! Wtf was that, they survived on the Alpha generosity!!! I would have thought after Alana saw how ugly her attitude looked from prior show she would have tried to improve, but showed true colors of using Dani when benefiting, then spreading nastiness behind her back, like a middle school brat!  Couldn't believe adults act so childish!!!

On 6/11/2018 at 2:23 PM, Captain Asshat said:

*Every* alpha, regardless of gender, wants others to be followers, hence the term. Alpha males aren't friends with beta males. They lead them. That said, Lacey doesn't *want* to be an alpha. Lacey completely *believes* she is an alpha. I'm pretty sure that's why she disrespected the women's team after they told her the were rationing the fish, because she felt she *had* to bring back a fish. And, yes, being invited to join a camp means you abide by the rules of that camp -- those women have been way better fed than the others for three weeks, and they did so by rationing their finite food source. Shut up, Lacey, and help your original team do what they're good at -- reinforce and/or improve the boma that your team identified as needing improvement. Lacey's actions at the catfish hole reminded me of the big fight over the bow/arrows last season. The two guys wanted to be the big hunter who fed their tribe. They wound up looking like children. I loved that the fish Lacey caught was half the size of the others.

I'm not a fan of Shane, but he was right that Lacey holds others to a different standard than she holds herself. He pointed out that Lacey told Mel that, because she couldn't contribute, Mel was a burden and should go. Lacey's only reply to that was, "She asked me to tell her." OK, well then? They were still her thoughts on the matter. So if those are her thoughts on people who cannot contribute, she should have no problem thinking the same about herself or taking it in stride when others say that to her. I totally laughed when she said to the camera, "The minute I'm useless to them, they want me to go" or something like that. This from the same woman who said something about tribes leaving their weakest behind to die. Sorry, but if you can't open a clam -- that someone else caught and cooked for you, might I add -- in order to feed yourself? You're weak by your own standards. I cannot wait until she changes her name to Felicia.

On 6/11/2018 at 8:31 PM, Neurochick said:

Lacey seems like a miserable person.  Shane isn't a social person but I never thought of him as a miserable being.  I wonder what Lacey's children are like.

On 6/12/2018 at 11:28 AM, 88Keys said:

I think she's super insecure.  I firmly believe she pushed Mel out because the others seemed to really like her (Mel), and Lacey was jealous.  

If she is really like this all the time, then I feel absolutely terrible for her children. 

You guys...Lacey's store is only an hour and a half away from me.  I wonder what she's like in person. 

What is crazy is that in the pop-up version of the sho it said that Lacey was the MVP of her hockey team and the Prom Queen in her school. This seems so crazy because she comes off as of as so unlikable and not a team player in Naked and Afraid.

• Love 1
On 6/15/2018 at 6:09 PM, qtpye said:

What is crazy is that in the pop-up version of the sho it said that Lacey was the MVP of her hockey team and the Prom Queen in her school. This seems so crazy because she comes off as of as so unlikable and not a team player in Naked and Afraid.

Lol.  that is nuts, though I do think she is clearly bitchy enough to be mean-girl-in-chief in a small high school.  

I also think she is young and socially isolated, so she doesnt seem to have matured.  

I looked up her bio, and she seems to be from bery rural Maine. The school nearest the island she reportedly grew up on has 466 students.  so imagine ~50 girls in each grade.  Prom queen and Hockey MVP make more sense now, right?

• Love 3
(edited)

So, this just occurred to me: Matt's challenge was to survive alone in Africa for 40 days. He decided he needed companionship and went to find the others. Does this mean that, even if he makes the 40 day challenge with the XL tribe, he technically failed in his own challenge? Survival for 40 days with the team or alone is huge, and I am not trying to take that achievement away from anyone. These are just the weird things that pop into my head, because I likely watch way too much TV.

Edited by Captain Asshat
  • Love 2

WAS he supposed to stay on his own the entire time? I admit I don't watch this with as much rapt attention as I do other shows, but I thought he was only supposed to START alone. But eventually catch up to the others. 

• Love 1
(edited)
18 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

WAS he supposed to stay on his own the entire time? I admit I don't watch this with as much rapt attention as I do other shows, but I thought he was only supposed to START alone. But eventually catch up to the others. 

Hmm...going by the previews, I was under the impression that his actual challenge was to do this alone for 40 days. But after your reply, I am not sure anymore. Sooo, a quick Googling, brought up a  People article that kind of says...both? First, it says:

"Now, Wright is back — and the Discovery Channel has given him the hardest challenge they’ve ever given a survivalist: to survive by himself for 40 days in Africa. And yes, he’ll be buck naked."

Two paragraphs later, though, it says:

"Wright’s task is to track the other participants of Naked and Afraid: XL, who will be having their own African adventure. It remains to be seen whether Wright will cross patsh [sic] with any of the other survivalists. If he doesn’t, he’ll be naked and alone in one of the harshest places on earth."

Thanks, People. That cleared it all up.

Edited by Captain Asshat
  • Love 3

Gary was not happy to see Matt. How dare they prefer his jerky to his rotten meat stew? 

Gary needs to realize that if you're doing a good job surviving, you shouldn't have to eat maggots. Maggots should be the last resort. They weren't there yet. He's just gross. I can't believe he went to the bathroom so close to the boma. That is disgusting. He's really trying to show that he is the best survivalist ever. Like he's going to get a prize at the end. He just comes off looking stupid. The fact he got sick before eating something rotten -- he just doesn't get it. 

• Love 6

I think Gary got diarrhea for two reasons, neither of which was related to the meat he insisted was good:

• Testosterone poisoning.
  • He was so full of s**t that it had nowhere to go but out.  The quantity and speed of evacuation bears evidence to this.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11
(edited)
On 6/18/2018 at 3:33 PM, jackjill89 said:

Gary was not happy to see Matt. How dare they prefer his jerky to his rotten meat stew? 

But, it was 2-meat stew:  whatever the animal was & maggot.  Who would pass that up for jerky?

Honestly, even in a survival situation, I'm not sure I could handle the maggots.  Not sure my will to live is that strong (one of the many reasons I would never do a show like this!).  And why was the stew just left festering?  Could they have turned it into jerky like the meat Matt brought?  Just seemed to me it wasn't improving with age.  And how long does bone marrow stay "fresh"...particularly in Africa heat?

I was kind of on Gary's side initially when the one woman kind of rudely said she wasn't eating what he brought (although at that time I thought they had leopard meat and not a leopard's leftovers).  Just thought it could have been said in a nicer way.  But, that went away quickly...the more he whined about not being respected as much for scavenging as the hunters were for hunting.  Yes, there should be some appreciation, but he seemed to want them to bow down and worship him as their God-King for the maggoty meat.

Edited by cherbitrary
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, jackjill89 said:

Gary needs to realize that if you're doing a good job surviving, you shouldn't have to eat maggots. Maggots should be the last resort. They weren't there yet. 

THIS.  Gary kept talking about how he was a "real" survivalist because he was willing to do anything, like eat rotten meat.  No, Gary, a REAL survivalist doesn't take unnecessary risks.  If you were literally about to die of starvation then yeah, maybe take a chance on the scavenged meat.  But none of you were there yet.  Except maybe Sarah.  Girl is looking positively skeletal.  

• Love 3
9 hours ago, 88Keys said:

THIS.  Gary kept talking about how he was a "real" survivalist because he was willing to do anything, like eat rotten meat.  No, Gary, a REAL survivalist doesn't take unnecessary risks.  If you were literally about to die of starvation then yeah, maybe take a chance on the scavenged meat.  But none of you were there yet.  Except maybe Sarah.  Girl is looking positively skeletal.  

That's what Matt was trying to tell him - risk vs. reward. Are they hungry? Yes. But they're not dying. Eating likely tainted meat is going to make you sick, then you're going to be even more hungry and depleted than before! But Gary can't let anyone tell him anything. He's always right. 

I guess now that Lacey is gone, his douchey attitude can really shine. 

• Love 6

Seriously.  Things Gary did that put them all at risk: 

1. Steal from a leopard, who could follow the meat smell to their boma
  2. Make them all have to smell funky meat for days
  3. Get the poop squirts all over their camp, increasing all their chances of GI issues. 
  4. Not help with the tasks the team thought were most important (building a new Boma, building a shelter) in order to go get his funky funky meat that resulted in poop squirts, making them all in more danger from the local predators

Im glad Lacey is gone.  I also like that it was her impulsiveness that ultimately did her in. Classic. FWIW, it doesnt sound at all like anyone said anything that horrible about her.  Just that they said the truth, which she couldnt handle.  

I really wanted to like Matt Wright, because damn, that guy is an impressive hunter/survivalist.  But I don't like that he came in an poked the Gary bear.  It seemed like Gary was worse once Matt showed up for 2 reasons, one that he wanted to be cheif provider, and 2 that Matt was belittling him some. Im totally on team Matt in the Matt gary fight, but I still think they are both bozos. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, fib said:

I really wanted to like Matt Wright, because damn, that guy is an impressive hunter/survivalist.  But I don't like that he came in an poked the Gary bear.  It seemed like Gary was worse once Matt showed up for 2 reasons, one that he wanted to be cheif provider, and 2 that Matt was belittling him some. Im totally on team Matt in the Matt gary fight, but I still think they are both bozos. 

I think Gary was worse because he was jealous of Matt.  And Matt wasn't afraid to straight-up tell him that what he was doing was not worth the risk.

• Love 5

Lacey just sounded like a spoiled brat, I mean watching her she sounds so much like a kid, mean girl for sure. On the promo for the show she is walking like she is the baddest, most qualified one to be there & I don't see her as a team player, so glad she got her ticket back home. 

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

Lacey just sounded like a spoiled brat, I mean watching her she sounds so much like a kid, mean girl for sure. On the promo for the show she is walking like she is the baddest, most qualified one to be there & I don't see her as a team player, so glad she got her ticket back home. 

She's the worst kind of not-a-team-player. She doesn't want to listen to anyone else and constantly gets offended by all these perceived slights, but she still wants to benefit from the others. She kept passive-aggressively expecting them to help her. And she sure helped herself to the (trained) meat. I can't stand her. 

2 hours ago, 88Keys said:

I think Gary was worse because he was jealous of Matt.  And Matt wasn't afraid to straight-up tell him that what he was doing was not worth the risk.

I thought Matt was fine. He didn't waltz into camp and start berating Gary. Other people had an existing issue with Gary and it all came to a head, Matt was right there and kind of got drawn in. I thought he stated his case calmly and not in an aggressive way at all. 

• Love 9

Gary was having a one way pissing contest. He was trying to out alpha Matt and Matt didn't even need to fight back because Matt already won just by existing. Gary needs to learn that being a tool is not a leadership quality. No one chooses to follow a tool.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

Can't believe they let Gary climb up in that tree like that. They must have iron clad liability waivers. He was so proud to bring back those figs and the others were trying their hardest to be super duper grateful about it, but dude goes right back to needing more validation and taking offense 5 seconds later. You just can't win with people like that.    

• Love 7
17 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Gary was having a one way pissing contest. He was trying to out alpha Matt and Matt didn't even need to fight back because Matt already won just by existing. Gary needs to learn that being a tool is not a leadership quality. No one chooses to follow a tool.

^^This^^

Gary is so full of himself I'm amazed he has any room for all that rotting meat and that's even after he crapped himself and everywhere else too. It bugs big time when he talks to the camera like he's hosting his own show.  If you have to constantly talk about how wonderful you are then you definitely aren't all that.  

I'm glad Lacey is gone.  Shane was right when he called her narcissistic.  She points fingers and bitches about other people when she turns around and whines and doesn't see her own behavior is the same.  Nothing will ever be her fault and she'll never take ownership of her own behavior. 

Did anyone notice Matt and Melissa spooning by the fire on the night Lacey was off in her own boma? I know that contestants do this from time to time, but I don't think it was particularly cold that night. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, eclectcmoi said:

Did anyone notice Matt and Melissa spooning by the fire on the night Lacey was off in her own boma? I know that contestants do this from time to time, but I don't think it was particularly cold that night. 

I saw that...very interesting!

I wonder if Lacey is embarrassed watching the show this season.  She was a rotten teammate.

• Love 4

Jesus God. This whole "unappreciated stay-at-home housewives revolt" narrative is just embarrassing. You need the hunters and the gatherers, people. That's how it works. At least they've stopped talking incessantly about how dangerous it is and how they could all get eaten by a leopard at any moment.   

• Love 5