Type keyword(s) to search

Naked and Afraid XL - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Thinking back to last season's XL, the first couple of days saw Carrie Booze ( she was an ex-service member, possibly surgically enhanced who said her partner was "diluded") quit in the first day or two.  IIRC she sited how dangerous it was.  (Some may have speculated her appearance at all was intended to put a modeling career on a rocket ship to the top).  

Matt sees no food sources in the first couple of days, and is hungry.  Did he even say "my foot hurts and I fear infection"?  This was after N&A decides to document medical involvement on the "Everest of Survival Challenges", rebranding the show as "Naked & Afraid with Medical Assistance" 

It is baffling that one of the characters each season would quit so early, and difficult to understand the motives for participating at all.  There must be a great many personal/professional reasons going on that are not exposed to us lowly viewers.

First couple of days on XL and I was totally sick of Russell using the term "brother" to address his teammates. 

Look at all that 'ink' on the characters!  Is this a typical amount of 'ink' for people in this age range, or is 'ink' a requirement for becoming a "survivalist"?  The ages seem to be around 30-32 yo.

Edited by Liberty
  • Love 2

Can we please stop finding these dumbasses who indiscriminately swing machetes around and practically chop their own fuckin' limbs off?! I mean, JESUS. Every time! Every single time! And you'd think they'd figure out that if the ground is extremely slippery, they should keep their weapons sheathed. God. If there wasn't a medic right there, half these fuckers would be DEAD. I would think the hands-down number one rule of primitive survival is "don't do anything wildly stupid and dangerous."

• Love 7
3 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I would think the hands-down number one rule of primitive survival is "don't do anything wildly stupid and dangerous."

I would say they broke that rule when they signed on to this crazy experience!   But I see many of the sheaths are cumbersome..even requiring snaps. Be nice if they had a simple blade cover for walking around.  

12 hours ago, Liberty said:

Thinking back to last season's XL, the first couple of days saw Carrie Booze ( she was an ex-service member, possibly surgically enhanced who said her partner was "diluded") quit in the first day or two.  IIRC she sited how dangerous it was.  (Some may have speculated her appearance at all was intended to put a modeling career on a rocket ship to the top).  

Matt sees no food sources in the first couple of days, and is hungry.  Did he even say "my foot hurts and I fear infection"?  This was after N&A decides to document medical involvement on the "Everest of Survival Challenges", rebranding the show as "Naked & Afraid with Medical Assistance" 

It is baffling that one of the characters each season would quit so early, and difficult to understand the motives for participating at all.  There must be a great many personal/professional reasons going on that are not exposed to us lowly viewers.

First couple of days on XL and I was totally sick of Russell using the term "brother" to address his teammates. 

Look at all that 'ink' on the characters!  Is this a typical amount of 'ink' for people in this age range, or is 'ink' a requirement for becoming a "survivalist"?  The ages seem to be around 30-32 yo.

I remember Carrie now for the "diluded" comment!    I don't have a big problem with some medical assistance on this show, but it is a slippery slope I agree.  I guess because it's for a finite amount of time and no big prize money.  I do have a problem with it on"Alone"  for those reasons though.

I wonder if Russell was saying the 'brother' thing as a bit of a joke re; Charlie  who seemed to be the main "brother' guy.  they agreed he was a bit chatty.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, seasick said:

I don't have a big problem with some medical assistance on this show, but it is a slippery slope I agree.

The characters interact with the film crews, find food surprises on day 20, receive medical help and who knows what else.  Sometimes the characters find "remember" healing balms or find flammable tree sap.  The show does not portray that this help is part of the Mount Everest of survival challenges.  I'd feel a lot better about the show if they revealed their interaction.

It is indeed a slippery slope.  How much help is too much, and do all the characters have access to the same level of care?  As ClareWalks points out, some injuries and accompanying infections could be devastating.  At lease one has left the "Challenge" with dengue fever.

• Love 2

Wasn't it Honora--the girl who brought a magnifying glass to purify water and hated her partner--claim that he was getting xanax or something and that they were supplied with salt tablets or something?  There also seemed to be some whisper about the woman on XL season 1 that they all hated for some reason (her roomate was killed when they were in Africa? was it)  and lots of strange silence and accusing looks in the aftershow apparently about her being in the production tents a lot getting something--food--water--whatever.   

I definitely see the miracle foods arriving day 20 or day 39 esp. after someone pointed it out.  In fact seeing repeats now of XL@ 2 I had to laugh when on day 39 they caught a shitload of fish.   And yeah-- "recalling this special tree" and oh yeah! there's one!  No.  

It is a tough challenge even with the tweaks from production and again--no prize money so  I don't feel they are taking things away from other players.  I'm sure they had locals poised with rifles (at least I hope so) esp. in Africa for extra safety too.     The woman who had the dengue fever was on a Nat. Geo production called "the Herd" or something. (stupid show) but yeah she was really sick from that.

• Love 1
On 4/25/2017 at 9:55 PM, seasick said:

so  I don't feel they are taking things away from other players. 

Excellent point.

ETA I would appreciate it if Disco would portray the show more accurately rather than try to hide the production's assistance.  There was an episode where some male got dangerously sunburn, if they are going to give EJ antibiotics for stepping on a thorn, why not give this fellow sun screen?

Edited by Liberty
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Good on the guy for bagging the pig. Will they be able to preserve the meat for future use? 

They were making a smoker.  That will preserve it to a higher degree than if they did nothing.

• Love 3

I was quite surprised by the pig. Every time I watch these shows and people get all excited about nabbing big game, I roll my eyes and know it will never happen. I guess I was proved wrong. I hope they're able to preserve it all. 

I feel for Shannon, being a light sleeper. It really sucks. It's not Fernando's fault at all, but it has to be just as draining for him - to know she is struggling and not really be able to do anything. 

I'm not sure what to think about the girl tribe. I do see Lacey's point of view - there seems to be a lot of talk, and little action. But it is hard to walk that fine line between conserving energy and just sitting around the entire time. 

• Love 5

I don't understand why the all-female group doesn't just split up and each do whatever they feel they need to do. Lacey bitched about the fish trap for so long and I totally agree with her, so I was yelling at the screen "JUST GO FINISH THE DAMN FISH TRAP YOURSELF." I mean, Christ. One chick can rest, the other can thatch the shelter roof, and the other can fix the fish trap. You can ALL WIN, people. God.

• Love 13

Poor Fernando is doing about all he can, the staying up all night to avoid snoring was really something.

Thinking of how demanding the sleeping conditions must be when the temperature drops.  Hey, I"m not on the show, but when it gets below 68 in my bedroom at night, I am uncomfortable with a quilt, pillows and mattress.  I understand these people are experienced survivalists and know what they are getting into, but the fatigue they face would send me home in a couple of days.

• Love 6

I think they should give all contestants one of those thermal blankets for cold nights.

I agree about the women- they should split up and do the task each thinks necessary. I was yelling at the woman to just go fishing, too!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I don't understand why the all-female group doesn't just split up and each do whatever they feel they need to do. Lacey bitched about the fish trap for so long and I totally agree with her, so I was yelling at the screen "JUST GO FINISH THE DAMN FISH TRAP YOURSELF." I mean, Christ. One chick can rest, the other can thatch the shelter roof, and the other can fix the fish trap. You can ALL WIN, people. God.

I was thinking the same thing.  Just shut up and do.  Does everything have to be a group pursuit?    I think Lacey is the one hauled out of there next ep.  The other girl with the boob that broke does appear a bit princess-y --hard to tell-- but Giovanna was tough.  

I dont know if it's the terrain, but these guys don't seem as committed and toughed up as the last groups.  Fernando cracks me up.  I might appreciate his positive attitude or I might want to slap him if I was there..  not sure.  

• Love 5

So,, why doesn't Frenando's partner sleep during the day? They have fire and shelter, so mostly look like they just lie around most of the time anyway. I'm the same kind of sleeper, I toss and turn most of the night, but nap during the day, and that helps.

As for the pitiful Matt, he should have bulked up before even starting this round. He was waaay too skinny to start, and had no fat reserves. Did he do no research?

...and good for the guys getting that pig! I hope they can properly smoke it so they can feed off it for a while. 

..I think I was napping when the women said they were fishing at night..was there a good reason for it, aside from manufactured drama?

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Dishin said:

So,, why doesn't Frenando's partner sleep during the day? They have fire and shelter, so mostly look like they just lie around most of the time anyway. I'm the same kind of sleeper, I toss and turn most of the night, but nap during the day, and that helps.

I wondered about that too, since she claimed she was so cold at night. And then Fernando wouldn't be snoring. Seems like common sense to me, and I'm sure Fernando wouldn't mind.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I wondered about that too, since she claimed she was so cold at night. And then Fernando wouldn't be snoring. Seems like common sense to me, and I'm sure Fernando wouldn't mind.

I wonder the same thing most episodes.  They often can't sleep at night because of cold, bugs, creepy sounds, and keeping the fire alive.  Sleep a few hours during the day!  And as DISHIN said they are often so tired they are unproductive anyway.  They should take a lesson from the wildlife around them.  

2 hours ago, Dishin said:

As for the pitiful Matt, he should have bulked up before even starting this round. He was waaay too skinny to start, and had no fat reserves. Did he do no research?

2 hours ago, Dishin said:

..I think I was napping when the women said they were fishing at night..was there a good reason for it, aside from manufactured drama?

I think the piranha and the other fish they are after tend to feed at night.  (they probably sleep during the day too :-) ) 

As far as Matt's weight he looks the type that is forever skinny.  Probably the type that has trouble gaining weight.  I could give him a lesson.

• Love 4

Yea, Lacey said that the piranhas come feed on the minnows at night, so she figured they'd have better luck catching them then. I'd have just finished the trap myself. Not really a fan of lurking around in dark waters at night. 

• Love 3

Little wonder that the two guys (sorry, don't know their names) split up, one going hunting and actually "harvesting" a pig while the other collected firewood. Success! The three female team would be much more productive if they didn't make everything a group decision and just did their own thing. I couldn't believe the machinations it took for them to figure out "yeah, let's try it and see if it works. If it doesn't, we can come back to the shelter." Yikes. I'd be totally frustrated.

• Love 5

Matt must have really pissed off the show to have his exit edited in that way. He looked like an idiot when he was throwing his tantrum about there being no animals anywhere and they were interspersing shots of small game everywhere. The last one was a baby bird, for goodness sake! 

On 5/1/2017 at 0:34 PM, seasick said:

Fernando cracks me up.  I might appreciate his positive attitude or I might want to slap him if I was there..  not sure.  

Sometimes I would want to slap Fernando but most of the time I'd like that he was so optimistic and positive. After watching this show so much, I've come to understand that mental attitude is absolutely just as important as survival skills.

I get why Lacey was frustrated. Maybe the way she said that they were all talk and no action came out a little harsh, but I think Amber was overly offended by it. That said, I would think night fishing would be too risky. I'd focus on making more and better fish traps.

I'm happy for the guys that they got that pig, but...the whole shooting and subsequent discovery of the pig just felt a little set up by production. Would the pig have been dead already? Would one arrow have killed it? 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, janerazor said:

Matt must have really pissed off the show to have his exit edited in that way. He looked like an idiot when he was throwing his tantrum about there being no animals anywhere and they were interspersing shots of small game everywhere. The last one was a baby bird, for goodness sake! 

Sometimes I would want to slap Fernando but most of the time I'd like that he was so optimistic and positive. After watching this show so much, I've come to understand that mental attitude is absolutely just as important as survival skills.

I get why Lacey was frustrated. Maybe the way she said that they were all talk and no action came out a little harsh, but I think Amber was overly offended by it. That said, I would think night fishing would be too risky. I'd focus on making more and better fish traps.

I'm happy for the guys that they got that pig, but...the whole shooting and subsequent discovery of the pig just felt a little set up by production. Would the pig have been dead already? Would one arrow have killed it? 

I had a few sidelong glances at the pig kill myself.  He seemed quite dead very quickly from one little arrow and would imagine it would have had to have been a direct hit to the heart.   I'm glad they spared us any footage of suffering --if any --until death--but I do wonder if there was a gunshot from production that finished the job.  

Matt was a little snotty to production and that never helps.  And then to have 2 people out in what--2 or 3 days is a concern, esp. a quitter.    Matt talked a pretty good game that he  'lives' this way-- he couldn't be serious about a mid-day stroll where he would expect animals popping out everywhere.  He should have just said he made a mistake in coming.  He gave production the fodder for that and it was pretty funny. 

I'm not too crazy about Lacey.  It's a red flag to me when a woman dismisses her entire gender --in her case-- that they are somehow inferior and emotional etc.  It goes beyond that IMO and it's a bad attitude to bring to any team.  But I don't get Amber either with the 'manana' attitude.  

I think the pig kill was a re-enactment. When they first showed the dead pig, it already had a swarm of flies around it and looked way more than "just recently deceased." Maybe the camera guy didn't even come on the 7 hour hunt, or didn't get the shot, or something. But there is no way he snipered that pig with such precision that there was no squealing or thrashing or a need for more arrows to finish it off. I don't really want to see all that either, though.    

• Love 10

I think he shot the pig and then had to track it down and it took a while to die  it was not like shoot and pick up. I can't remember where I picked up the pig was shot in the neck and lost a lot of blood. tracking it down could take a while because I think the pig cold run faster than a bare foot naked guy. lies can gather pretty quickly, they are a vital part of helping material decay.

• Love 1
(edited)

Why did all three women have to go to the river during the day, knowing the fire back at camp could have gone out?! Seriously! There are three of them, one should have stayed behind, and might not have gotten hurt.

Also, I hope Fernando can shed himself of Shannon soon and meet up with the rest. He is my favorite so far.

I'm wondering if we are going to see the fall of the two "kings of the jungle"because of all the bragging. I hope not.

Edited by Dishin
  • Love 3

Fernando really is too aware of the production crew to present a really good image of being afraid.  

Shannon's complaining really is disheartening since we do not see her search for solutions or quit.  She indicates she has no hope for the situation improving, but wants to make the situation last.  One helpful thing she could do would be complain less.

We only see what the editors want us to see.  Shannon encountered some difficulty relating well to her (ex-military) partner in her 21 day challenge too, and in Fernando's 21 day challenge at times he really contributed what he could to the success of his discouraged partner. 

As Dishin points out the three females thought they must all do the same task at the same time, and the two remaining females seem to maintain that approach.  It was, however, when Lacey was acting on her own that she was injured.

Is it possible that part of the "Kings of the Jungle" bravado is joking on their part.  Admittedly they are a little full of themselves (and pig) but at one point it seemed like they were clowning about it.  They are not as obvious about relating to the camera as Fernando, but their chest pounding may be relating to the camera's presence.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, rlc said:

My recording cut out very suddenly. How did this episode end? The lasting thing I saw was Shannon cursing at Fernando.

That was about the end of it.  There were no previews as they went directly to the next show.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I thought it was smart of the guys to try and find other groups while they're full from the pig and in relatively good spirits. 

I think they were prodded by production to look for the others, esp. since they are down to 6 players.  I really couldn't see a good reason for the guys to move on--they were successful there--built the platform, etc--so yeah I think it was a production thing.

15 hours ago, Liberty said:

Shannon's complaining really is disheartening since we do not see her search for solutions or quit.  She indicates she has no hope for the situation improving, but wants to make the situation last.  One helpful thing she could do would be complain less.

Shannon is driving me nuts.  I can relate IF this is truly from a lack of sleep.  I become very whiney, negative and irrational from lack of sleep.  But I find it hard to believe she can't curl up in a sunny place and  get a major snooze on during the day and be done with it.  Maybe it's a control issue or something with her....  but I think if you are that tired (and not drinking coffee like I am guilty of) then you will sleep.    I don't blame Fernando for a 'shit or get off the pot" attitude with her.  Agreed--either solve the problem,  or deal with it, OR leave. She's a waste of space and energy.

I do predict however that if she gets a second wind somehow she will return to her cocky, bossy self--almost as a redemption for her whiney days.  Just a thought.

16 hours ago, Liberty said:

As Dishin points out the three females thought they must all do the same task at the same time, and the two remaining females seem to maintain that approach.  It was, however, when Lacey was acting on her own that she was injured.

But that fall could have happened with or without the others.  It happened in daylight.  I might agree if she went off at night alone.   So I agree that their constant consensus on everything and always'joined at the hip' for every task was foolish.  Going down to the water should be with two though for safety--but one could have stayed behind.. 

• Love 3

I like this season so much more than last- and I did enjoy last season. Other than Shannon right now, no one else seems to have a crappy attitude. I am really fascinated by what people who really have a comfortable life - compared to poorer nations- do with the barest necessities. Floving this so far.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, seasick said:

I think they were prodded by production to look for the others, esp. since they are down to 6 players.  I really couldn't see a good reason for the guys to move on--they were successful there--built the platform, etc--so yeah I think it was a production thing.

I thought they said they had basically tapped all their food resources in the area - the pigs stopped coming around, for example. But you may very well be right. I wouldn't put it past them. 

17 hours ago, seasick said:

Shannon is driving me nuts.  I can relate IF this is truly from a lack of sleep.  I become very whiney, negative and irrational from lack of sleep.  But I find it hard to believe she can't curl up in a sunny place and  get a major snooze on during the day and be done with it.

That's what I'm saying! Very often on these shows we see contestants having a hard time sleeping at night because of the bugs or the temperature dropping. Why not try to sleep during the day? 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Why not try to sleep during the day? 

I wonder this a lot too.  Instead it seems they insist upon trying to sleep every night as though it's some kind of law,   then mope in a fog during the day and are less productive.

Also, I was told years ago about making "smudge pots" to deter bugs.  I was going crazy with pine flies that seemed a cross between a green-head fly and a bee of some sort they way they would hover.  They nearly drove me literally crazy.   Smudge "pots" are (several)  small smoky fires placed around your camp and creates more of a smoke barrier against the bugs.  I know they might be hard to keep up with for many hours but they would be worth a try around dusk for at least a few hours of relief.  

6 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I thought they said they had basically tapped all their food resources in the area - the pigs stopped coming around, for example. But you may very well be right. I wouldn't put it past them

That's possible.  I might have missed that.  But I thought they were catching fish.  IDK.     Well, if production told them they were not going to supply them with another pig (lol)  then yeah time to move on.  But Fernando was talking about looking for the others too--strange timing.  Don't recall if the girls were considering it.  But logistically it is easier for production to have them all together to film and protect.  

• Love 4
11 hours ago, seasick said:

But Fernando was talking about looking for the others too--strange timing.  Don't recall if the girls were considering it.  

I have a slightly warped sense of humor.  How funny would it be if they all went looking for each other, and all they found were the abandoned camps of those who had also left.

In all seriousness, Shannon's mental health is deteriorating.  She needs to be taken out.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I have a slightly warped sense of humor.  How funny would it be if they all went looking for each other, and all they found were the abandoned camps of those who had also left.

In all seriousness, Shannon's mental health is deteriorating.  She needs to be taken out.

I used to think about that too--in the good old days when I was still innocent of production 'guidance'.  

I don't want Shannon out!  She's bossy and conceited and fun to hate-watch.  I like everyone else so far so she could be good at stirring things up. She's fun to make fun of now for her whining.  I'll bet her former partner is enjoying this. 

• Love 2

Too bad it was Matt who had to leave instead of Russell. What a sexist asshole! I'm glad the women got more fish than he did.

I still wonder why he and Matt didn't try to use the pig hide to make sandals.

33 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Russell really needs to get a handle on his Short Man's Syndrome. 

Probably Short Dick Syndrome, too.

• Love 6

Russell is so embarrassing to men lol lol.  When the ladies asked for the net, he should have just said yes, instead of all that junk like I'm afraid you're gonna break it.  How the heck are you gonna break that casting net in the water. What a moron. Then they caught a bunch of fish....hahahaha  

You could tell he has a complex even when he was alone with Matt.  

All those survivors, and no one can weave some sandals?  Use the same technique you would in making a fish trap.  There's lots of ways  

• Love 7

Wonderful how Shanando knew the right direction to head to meet with another group.  If they had gone a different direction,  only bad could have come of it.

Russell wants credit for bringing the net, not a team attitude.  Maybe is if the water is too deep to cast the net effectively building a platform to cast from would work.  Shannon gets more fish than him, and Russell wants to even the score by telling Shannon to share the heat from the fire.    His pettiness will bring the others closer in a unified contempt for him.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Too bad it was Matt who had to leave instead of Russell. What a sexist asshole! I'm glad the women got more fish than he did.

I still wonder why he and Matt didn't try to use the pig hide to make sandals.

Probably Short Dick Syndrome, too.

I thought the same. Why didn't Matt make sandals?

also I think Russell's behavior is producer driven to add some conflict

why isn't Fernando helping out at the new shelter?  He is just sitting there

Since there are 4 gone already they bring in 2/3 more survivalists( on the previews)

• Love 2

Man, this jungle is a real bitch. It's claiming all the strongest members of the teams. That's really too bad about Matt. I hope he healed quickly once he got out of there. I thought he was a pretty cool dude. Hardworking, generous, everyone seemed to like him. 

Meanwhile we're stuck with Russel who is a total dick. He was nothing more than Matt's assistant. He never really did any fishing/hunting of worth. But he's going to act like HE'S some expert and Shannon needs pointers from him? Get the fuck out of here with that. After the first day with Matt being gone, I was wondering why Shannon or Fernando didn't try, since they seemed taller than Russel. Russel is a classic example of short-man syndrome. He had to point out that what Shannon caught wasn't nearly as much as they're used to - well, it's MORE than you caught. Which was nothing. Ugh, can't stand him. 

• Love 10

Where the heck is Fernando in all this?    Russell and his "sweetheart" thing--shocked Shannon didn't shut that down.  She is really off her game.  

Also a little surprised that the girls didn't have more to say over Russell daring to proclaim a bigger share due to the guys's actually making the catch.  I'm glad Matt  turned that around but I would have liked to hear the girls straighten Russell out on how all roles--such as keeping the fires burning--are part of the success of the team.  What a smacked ass. 

What is Fernando doing? No desire to help with the net at all?  So far he's a decoration. 

I hope it's Jake who returns.   

• Love 7

Russell is smaller than many women so he talks big so that he can feel superior to them. I wish one of the women there was, like, way taller than him. If I was there, with my 5'11" frame and probably 30 pounds on him, I would make damn sure he didn't speak to me that way. I wish the women weren't so passive with this guy. I know you have to live with him, but jesus. Stand up for yourselves.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

To me, the previews make it look as if they encounter (on purpose by the producers) some indigenous people. Just my guess.

"when worlds collide".  they say, but they appear to be naked with the burlap pouches so I doubt they are Amazonians. (they wouldn't be nutty enough to do it)  I would say maybe EJ from 'dual survival" --and 'worlds' meaning TV worlds --but no girls in that.  Nah I think from another XL or episode.  In fact I think it may have been planned from the beginning because I think starting off this season with 9 was less than normal. It just works out well now due to so many losses.    

• Love 2
16 hours ago, LocimusPrime said:

You could tell he has a complex even when he was alone with Matt.

"with Matt 'out of the way' I can be the provider"  says Russell.  Yep that was Matt--'In the way".   Idiot.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
(edited)

Ugh... Russel was being such a jerk about the net and that 'girls' can't do it.... just let them try you ass...

Although Shannon remains as annoying as ever. She was upset that she was going to get too hot by the fire if Russell put more wood on, when everyone else is still freezing! I don't know why they haven't built a better shelter... or woven some more mats to lay on/cover up with etc.

While I personally would never actually go on a show like this, If I did, I figure I'd try and spend most of my down time weaving.. maybe some sandals, maybe a rug,  how about a blanket type thing... come on! Especially with 6 people, someone can tend fire, do water, do the fishing... others can work on the shelter/ weave stuff...

Edited by roctavia
  • Love 11