Type keyword(s) to search

Beat Bobby Flay - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Can anyone help me out and tell me who won the chicken wing challenge between Bobby and Michael Jenkins? I missed the end while putting my daughter to bed, and Google isn't helping me. I thought the challenger actually had a good shot at beating Bobby!

Watching the latest episode and Anne Burrell is so. freaking. annoying. She dialed her screeching up to 11 like she was on Worst Cook's. I used to kind of like her but now I am beyond tired of her antics. She has turned herself into a caricature.

• Love 4

I don't think a fix is in for Bobby at all. It has been said across the board time and time again that he has really big flavors. Granted I don't really know exactly what that means... but I would assume that it is not only about heat but about flavor combinations as well. He does (from my very pedestrian point of view) seem really good at layering flavors. So all comers should know this and come prepared... I honestly think this is why he rarely loses. He also has has tons and tons of practice. I think it is unfair to diminish his wins to a simple issue of adding some peppers to his dish to make them recognizable. It is also unfair to call in question the integrity of the judges in this way as well. So what if they know which dish is Bobby's... that doesn't necessarily equate to giving him the win. 

I like Bobby, he comes across as very likable, extremely competent and good-natured. Great TV personality for sure. 

Glad I am not the only one who thinks Sunny can be a bit much at times. She probably could dial it in just a tad. I get that you have to turn it up for TV but still...

Edited by Bandolero
  • Love 7

I just watched the catfish po-boy battle and while it was fun I got a whiff of foreknowledge (in not fix) in the first half when the challenger put cojita on her quesadillas.  Just seemed like sort of an oddball ingredient to have hanging around the pantry, especially when it was a lot more obvious to go Italian with the ingredient rather than Mexican.  There was an ingredient she used in Part Two which struck me in the same way, although I forget what it was.  They can go out between rounds and get things like fresh catfish if tptb don't "know" what the second round will be and maybe she requested it then, but then again maybe the first round is a face/heel matchup.

• Love 1

The first round almost has to be a setup.  At least one of the second round judges always seem to have a background/connection to the challenge's style and/or signature dish.

In the catfish po'boy episode, the challenger's food truck was named Lez Eat.  Did she intentionally mean for that to sound like what it sounds like?

• Love 1

The first round almost has to be a setup.  At least one of the second round judges always seem to have a background/connection to the challenge's style and/or signature dish.

I've wondered about that myself.  I noticed early on that they always seem to have the ingredients the challenger needs for round 2, even obscure stuff that wouldn't normally be stocked.  Then I read somewhere that filming an episode takes something like 14 hours and I figured they're filming at the FN studios which are right upstairs from Chelsea Market so I decided they have plenty of time to send someone down to shop for whatever Bobby or the challenger wants. 

Having judges with relevant expertise on hand is harder to explain.  I suppose they could have people on call but expecting them to drop everything and run over to FN when summoned, in NYC traffic, seems highly unlikely.

• Love 1

I've wondered about that myself.  I noticed early on that they always seem to have the ingredients the challenger needs for round 2, even obscure stuff that wouldn't normally be stocked.  Then I read somewhere that filming an episode takes something like 14 hours and I figured they're filming at the FN studios which are right upstairs from Chelsea Market so I decided they have plenty of time to send someone down to shop for whatever Bobby or the challenger wants. 

Having judges with relevant expertise on hand is harder to explain.  I suppose they could have people on call but expecting them to drop everything and run over to FN when summoned, in NYC traffic, seems highly unlikely.

For round 2, I figured that they could tell both the guest chefs to bring with them ingredients they would want if they made it round two.  (Or send in a shopping list.)  This show seems to have a much more limited pantry setup than other shows, I think someone must make sure that what is needed is on hand but not much else.

I've noted in a few episodes where when Bobby comes out to give his initial spiel to the contenders, he is obviously using both hands.  Then there's a camera cut, and the next shot shows Bobby pulling his mystery ingredient from behind his back.  Unless he's got a compartment back there, there is obviously a cut in the sequence.  I love watching shows like this and trying to pick up on things like that.  It's part of the way they make TV magic.  :)

I enjoy this show, because I think Bobby is good at his craft.  Sometimes the banter with the first round judges is a bit superfluous.  (I find my level of annoyance varies with my estimation of their abilities.  I like Jeffery, Alex, and Ted.  I can't stand Katie Lee, Anne, and especially Sunny.) The silliness of suggesting that the first round judges hand picked the contenders for the day is a bit annoying as well.  All in all, though, despite those few elements, the show is mainly about people straight up doing their best work in the kitchen.  I enjoy that.

• Love 6

I don't care about the off-show stuff, it's just life.  But I was surprised to see him get beat on tacos a second time, especially since the challenger's tortillas seemed kind of iffy. 

• Love 1

Sunny and Kathie Lee, go away.  

I like this show but I do wonder just how blind the tasting is or even if they pull a "Love it or List it" and film 2 endings so they can keep the percentage of Bobby losing enough to keep viewers interested.  

(edited)

In the gnocchi episode, what was with that judge who said it looked amateurish for Bobby to have chopped basil and sprinkled it over the top? He said something like, "I haven't seen anyone who does that anymore" or something. That seemed really douchey to me -- is that valid criticism or was that guy a hack who doesn't know what he is talking about? I suspect that douchey judge picked the challenger's dish to win because he thought it was Bobby's and he thought the challenger committed the "amateurish" sin  of sprinkling chopped basil over the dish. Sometimes I don't know about the judges Food Network uses on their shows.

Edited by Falafel
  • Love 1

I just watched the grill episode with Angelo Sosa. He was pretty fun to watch, I don't think I liked him on Top Chef, but I really can't remember. He picked steak & potatoes. No surprise, he lost to Bobby.

• Love 1

Wondering how some TC alums like Hung and Brian Malarkey are on Chopped All Stars, while others like Angelo have to run the gauntlet of BBF.  It's not like Angelo didn't do well; IIRC he was final three in his season.

Wondering how some TC alums like Hung and Brian Malarkey are on Chopped All Stars, while others like Angelo have to run the gauntlet of BBF.  It's not like Angelo didn't do well; IIRC he was final three in his season.

I'm guessing it's all about being on teevee. Get the exposure anywhere you can get it.

I'd love to see Angelo on Chopped.  Hopefully he will be.  Could Angelo have picked BBF because he lost to Bobby on Iron Chef and wanted to beat him on this show? 

• Love 1

The new episode just started for me so I'll have more to say later I'm sure, but I just had to say wow Damaris is doing great! I haven't seen her since her Food Network Star days except maybe a few short guest spots here and there, and she seems so much more polished now. I wasn't a big fan of her 'character' on FNS, but it seems she's really come into her own on TV.  I'm so glad to see her succeeding.

• Love 2

I don't why I watch this.

Bobby is only slightly less annoying than the Food Network stars that are they to judge the first cooking challenge and to cheer on the competitor to beat Bobby.

What's bothers me is that a judge I like, Alex or Ann, for instance, is one of those guests, I can't stand them. They act over the top obnoxious.

The Top Chef alumni parade continues.  And all they mention is that Tre learned to compete as a sous chef on ICA. 

Sunny Anderson is beyond annoying.  I've never seen her on her own show, but only as a guest on other FN shows and I can't stand her.  I try to imagine her getting her job by running the gauntlet of FNS, and of course, that didn't happen.  LBH is, well, LBH.

Interesting that BF almost always wins here, yet he rarely won Throwdown and the principle is supposedly the same, without the element of surprise. 

• Love 1

It was go seeing Tre. Wow does he look great.  I loved his first dish, it looked great.  I thought he should have won. Can we take a break from Sunny and Giada please.  Annoying with those teeth together is too much. I do like this show better than Throwdown though.  Less annoying people (Sunny and Giada)

I really like this show and quite frankly, the guest judges seem much more likable here rather than on their own shows.  I enjoyed Anne B., and Rachel Ray (separate episodes) last night and I hardly ever like them.  Even Giada seemed less intense and 'posed' than she does on her other shows.  I like the vibe and I'm even more impressed with Bobby's abilities than before.  Even though he lost on a Korean dish last night, I thought that his looked really good.  And the fourth of July burger show?  Fabulous-I so am craving a burger with onion rings after watching that!

• Love 3

Yes, I recognized him right away.  He won on Chopped.  He told the same story about getting sober and succeeding but, on Chopped, he made it sound more recent and like he was struggling to get back to work.  He had a picture of his granddaughter to add to his sob story.  Also I seem to recall that he wore a hat on Chopped,.

• Love 1

Yes, I recognized him right away.  He won on Chopped.  He told the same story about getting sober and succeeding but, on Chopped, he made it sound more recent and like he was struggling to get back to work.  He had a picture of his granddaughter to add to his sob story.  Also I seem to recall that he wore a hat on Chopped,.

Well, of course, sob stories are irrelevant on BBF, so he was much more matter-of-fact.  On Chopped, you get extra points for sob stories with a bonus if you actually sob.

They haven't resorted to any gimmicks on this show yet.  Maybe they should bring back Stephanie and Miriam from Throwdown and let the challengers bring sous chefs, too.  What's missing in BBF is the fun.  Bobby's interaction with the judges is stilted and scripted, and he looks fierce and intense, whereas on Throwdown, he seemed to take things in stride and have fun with it.

• Love 1

Well, of course, sob stories are irrelevant on BBF, so he was much more matter-of-fact.  On Chopped, you get extra points for sob stories with a bonus if you actually sob.

Chopped is an hour show, so they have extra time to waste on crap. BBF is only 1/2 hour, so pretty much all the time has to be the show.

Chopped is an hour show, so they have extra time to waste on crap. BBF is only 1/2 hour, so pretty much all the time has to be the show.

Yeah, so much time that they had to cut out the judging after each round. 

I don't even know if I like the premise that the two contenders have to compete against each other first and then face Bobby.  Why not let both of them go against Bobby at the same time?  And you could make it an hour show--incorporate each contender's signature dish into one cohesive meal.  And although I expect that the challengers are paid--but with FN who knows?--there ought to be a stated prize for winning.

What's missing in BBF is the fun.  Bobby's interaction with the judges is stilted and scripted, and he looks fierce and intense, whereas on Throwdown, he seemed to take things in stride and have fun with it.

This. I was a fan of Throwdown and it largely rehabilitated Bobby in my eyes after his disrespectful Iron Chef showing. I've been watching this show but realized recently that it just bores me. I think a large part of that is because there is no fun at all in it. That's it exactly!

I have to think that if the bratwurst guy managed to squeeze them into casings or even a tube shape he'd have won.  I think the patty style fogged up the judge's minds.  His certainly sounded better to me.

I have to think that if the bratwurst guy managed to squeeze them into casings or even a tube shape he'd have won.  I think the patty style fogged up the judge's minds.  His certainly sounded better to me.

I think it was the teeny tiny hamburger buns. It just threw off the whole plate. Surely he could have found something better.

I find it hard to believe that bratwurst guy usually makes his brats look like hamburgers.  Why would you not do your dish the way you do your dish, given that you know exactly what you're going to cook and how long you have to prepare it, before you ever compete?

• Love 2
(edited)

On a completely shallow note, I was rooting against  Bobby's competitor based solely on his facial hair. I HATE that small bit of hair above the chin. My problem. His face, his choice.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 3

Maybe I've been watching too much reality TV, but having just seen the meatball episode, I feel like Bobby threw it. His plating looked amateurish and not cooking the meatballs in the sauce seemed like an amateur mistake.

I don't know how many he's lost, but it will be interesting to see if the percentage goes up. Maybe one out of every 10? The only way this show is remotely interesting is if he loses every once in a while. If I were a producer, that's what I would instruct him to do: pick a dish you don't like/don't know and just...take a dive to make good TV.

Ok so the guy who does apples two ways, raw and cooked loses to the Italian guy who does a salad?  One part has too much lemon but never mind the second apple component he made?  And you have the irritating lisping actress Deborah mention the Italian guy is her favorite because he's Italian.  I call favorite on this one.  I don't understand how she has a show on the cooking channel when she is just an actress who is Italian. 

I don't understand how she has a show on the cooking channel when she is just an actress who is Italian. 

Her husband, Gabriele Corcos, is a chef. The show is the two of them together.

I love Debra. She seems so unfazed by her own success, and she acts like a normal person. She's also fun and quite intelligent.

I only have one little complaint right now. That's when a challenger gives Bobby a dish that he grimaces over, saying that he has no idea how to make one and going on and on. Then, he whips up something magical and beats the challenger! I know -- it's show business! But still, as on the recent trifle battle, he led me to believe that the challenger could win for a change, and then he pulls out something brilliant. I hate when that happens.

• Love 1

I think a trifle was a horrible choice to try to take Bobby down with. You don't need specialized knowledge to make a trifle. This guy was a pastry chef. He could have chosen something that takes a lot of skill and practice to master. Bobby knows flavors and flavor combinations, and that's all you need to put together a good trifle.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed the new episode tonight.  I've always liked Ric Orlando so I was happy to see him win.  The last time I saw him, he was on Rewrapped and didn't do very well.  He looked like he's lost quite a bit of weight since then. 

I saw Spike on Late Night Chef Fight a few weeks ago and didn't even recognize him at first with all that hair.  I like him and I think he's cute with curls.  :)

I generally think this show is pretty freaking dull and judging by the lack of posts, others agree. That said, there was something about last night's episode that worked better for me than usual and I've been trying to figure out what it was. I love NPH and Ina so I'm sure that was part of it. I thought that having the woman who gave Bobby his first job compete was pretty interesting, though it made the first round seem a bit irrelevant. I mean, c'mon, the fix was in, though I did get the impression her dish was better. This one just held my interest a bit more than they usually do. I watched the whole thing (sans commercials; I'm not an animal) whereas generally I fast forward to the end to see the final tasting rather than suffer through the second round of cooking.

• Love 2

I'm laughing here jcbrown because I was thinking the same thing. I just started watching it and I'm actually interested in watching it to the end without fast forwarding for the first time in a long time. I like Neil Patrick Harris as a judge on a number of different shows, I think he's very good at it. Ina's show puts me to sleep so I don't watch it but I do like her generally. It's nice to have two calm people this week instead of all the jumping up and down and yelling. Now off to watch the rest of the show. I even paused it while posting so I didn't miss anything. 

• Love 1