Type keyword(s) to search

Beat Bobby Flay - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I like Bobby Flay so I enjoy this show.  I also like that it's a half hour so filler is kept to a bare minimum.  I wonder why FN is promoting Katie Lee so often.  Maybe it's just because she's on The Kitchen.  In any event, I don't like her and can't stand her voice.  It seems very unlikely to me that she and Bobby are good friends like the show implied.

I knew Brooke wouldn't win in the first few minutes of the show. Not due to her dish, but Katie saying they had to pick the one who they believed could beat Bobby. That comes down to experience. Brooke was too young. She might have had the better dish, but Andrew has tons more experience.

I was surprised that Andrew picked meat loaf. Bobby knows what he's doing with ground meat. He said he hadn't made much meat loaf and wanted us to believe this was going to be a real challenge for him. NOT! I didn't believe him when he said it.

So far I like this show. I like the more relaxed atmosphere here, rather than Iron Chef America. I'm liking Bobby dressed like a regular guy.

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's past seasons. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

In the Season 2 premiere, a crab claw king battles a tattooed butcher for the chance to cook against Bobby Flay. The winning chef is chosen by Scott Conant and Geoffrey Zakarian.

There's trash talking, and then there's just plain rude.  To accuse a nationally known chef of "half-assing" it was uncalled for, and the karma bit the guy in the ass.

Leah from Top Chef was someone I was hoping never to see again.  Damn.

• Love 1

I was sad about the chef who did not make it through the first round in the 13 August episode. I LOVE his restaurant in DC. And Sunny Anderson, shut up. Such a loudmouth. I know that is the character she plays but I just find that character unpleasant.

ETA: Some random Buzzfeed blogger is sitting between Charlie Palmer and Wylie Dufresne as a judge? No. Just no.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 3

I was really surprised when the other challenger this week didn't beat out dancing asshole boy - i thought she seemed like a much more formidable opponent.  I grew to like Throwdown after a while, but it was hard to root for the ambushed chef to lose (and the judging wasn't really blind - if you make the best whatever in your city it's a good bet a local judge, which they usually had, might have tasted yours before), unless he made pies or something.  This show usually seems like more of a straight-up battle, especially with the apparently actually blind judging, but I think they might have kinda thrown Flay a softball this week. 

• Love 1

I felt bad for Ukraine girl not only because she was pretty and awesome but because dammit chili peppers do not belong in Beef Strogonoff (which I make myself and love).  Too bad the judges palates are so blown out they couldn't handle the dish as traditionally made. I usually like Flay, but he was so dismissive of her choice of dish that it pissed me off this time.

Edited by Totale
  • Love 1

That girl was on Chopped a year or so ago.  She didn't win there either.  I remembered her because her hair didn't look clean.

I didn't understand either rendition of beef stroganoff.  I've made it for decades and it's the dish my kids still request if they're coming to visit from out of state.  I wouldn't put peppers in it either or quick seared beef.  The meat needs to cook in liquid for a long time before you add sour cream.

• Love 1

My idea of beef stroganoff looks a lot creamier than either of their versions, but I don't know if I've ever had real stroganoff or just an Americanized version. Her first dish with the oysters sounded awesome though.

I felt bad for Ukraine girl not only because she was pretty and awesome

And she had mad knife skills too.

The meat needs to cook in liquid for a long time before you add sour cream.

Agreed, but they only had 45 minutes.

My idea of beef stroganoff looks a lot creamier than either of their versions,

Mine too, but I thought because of the time constraint, they had to use seared beef.

And lucky for Bobby, they had freshly prepared egg noodles in the refrigerator.  I call foul.

Edited by nottopbravo
  • Love 1

What is Judah Friedlander doing on this show? The judges have all been either chefs, or bloggers, or people somehow connected with food. This guy even admitted he didn't know anything about cooking, why was he on the show? He contributed absolutely nothing.

What is Judah Friedlander doing on this show?

I wondered that myself and I had no idea who he was.  But he sure didn't look very chef-y.  I was distracted by trying to figure out what it said on his hat.

If I were a chef and going to compete on this show, I would figure out how to add hot peppers to whatever dish I had to make.  Bobby uses them every single time and I have to think that they telegraph which dish is his to the judges even though the test is supposed to be blind.  I'd use them myself so his dish wouldn't be so obvious.

• Love 1

I wondered that myself and I had no idea who he was.  But he sure didn't look very chef-y.  I was distracted by trying to figure out what it said on his hat.

He was on 30 Rock and mostly I remember him for wearing a hat with a different message each episode.  Bobby repeatedly saying he was one of the funniest people in America seemed extremely forced; i.e, scripted by the producers.  And yes, it's about on par with Project Runway casting actresses as guest judges when they used to have fashion designers.

• Love 1

He was on 30 Rock

Thanks.  I never watched that so I didn't know him.  I did think he handled himself well and avoided trying to make lame jokes just for the sake of being "funny."  However, he looked like he'd just excused himself from the Mad Hatter's tea party.

I like this show, but I find myself always rooting for Bobby, especially last night.  The challenger was so egotistical and so sure he'd win that, naturally, I was glad he didn't win!  I agree with the other poster who said that Bobby's dishes are fairly easy to recognize because he

has his own style. 

• Love 1

I agree with the other poster who said that Bobby's dishes are fairly easy to recognize because he has his own style.

I totally agree. The moment a dish appears with the signature colour combination (his plating is always beautiful), and if a some Mexican pepper appears somewhere somehow, I immediately thing - Yup, a Flay dish. Also, sometimes the contestants make obvious faces, so the judges can figure out who the dish belongs to. Flay is actually good at the poker face.

They can keep pretending the judging is blind, but as soon as the judges run across a pepper in the dish, they know it's Bobby's. He put a pepper in eggplant parmigiana, nobody puts peppers in eggplant parmigiana, just Bobby. Of course the judges knew which dish was his.

But Chef Muscles also had peppers in his sauce (Bobby even came over to borrow some) and made a pepper salad - I think if anything he was trying to defeat this syndrome by making peppers not the signifier.  Interesting that making a full plate and not just the star got him through the first round but defeated him in the second.  That's what I thought was bogus, if there's an extra salad or for that matter an extra cheesesteak sub on the side of the plate of X you're supposed to be judging it doesn't "take away from" the item under test.  The judges might comment on it, but in terms of the judging of the main item they should just ignore it.

• Love 1

I loved this episode because I've been trying my hand at curries for a couple of years now, and even though I'm nowhere near these chefs level I could see where Bobby was screwing up and knew he'd lose.  Plus on the shallow level Palek was just the cutest thing I've seen on my TV in forever, and I loved that given that and her diminutive size that she just Would Not Back Down.  Her recipe isn't on the FN site but I hope it makes it there, I was curious about her cashew cream and want to play with it.

Ed: it was there, I just missed it

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/chicken-curry.html

Edited by Totale

The chef who didn't make the cut, James somebody,  was one we sent to the Chopped bus several seasons ago for being obnoxious.  He was the one called out by the judges for putting dirty pans including one with scalding water on the floor and setting a bad example for his students. 

This was the first time I watched the show. As much as I admire Bobby Flay, I couldn't help but think it's ridiculous to say the judging is "blind". I'm not a cook or a foodie by any stretch of the imagination and even I can tell which plates are Bobby's.

• Love 2

The judging I sideeye in this show - I mean I know we are not tasting the food, but some of the dishes that Flay wins, he should not have won. The first time I've seen him lose in a LONG time was last weeks Falafel one, and that one I thought he should have won. I don't know, the judging seems sketchy.

I also don't understand how these competitors always try to do too much. The falafel one for example, the woman is making the pita, she's making the falafel, the sauces, etc. Why is she making the pita? For me, a falafel is made by the sauces. You need a good tzatziki, good pickled veggies, a nice falafal ball and as long as the pita is warm and soft, it's all good. They always take on too much, and if this is their "signature dish", then they should know better, and know what to cut out to save time.

Sometime else that bugs? When the two judges go bother the two chefs cooking, by asking them questions, taste their food, get in their way while they are doing their thing. I would hate that. Is it wrong that I thought "Good" when one competitor spilled pea puree all over Guarnaschelli? Get out of the way!

Man I'm complaining too much about this show... The Food Network seems to do that to me these days. *grin*

• Love 2

Once again, I think the chef could have beat Bobby had he not tried to "UP" his game by selecting the larger chops.  Had he just gone with a regular thick cut chop, it would have been done in the 45 minute time frame and it would have beaten Bobby's.  He had technique and multiple components to the dish - which is what the judges look for.  But, by trying to go even bigger by choosing a cut that couldn't cook properly in that amount of time, he ended his chances.  I'm really tired of these chefs coming on thinking they have to go for it with something that is a time sensitive component - it kills them every time.

Once again, I think the chef could have beat Bobby had he not tried to "UP" his game by selecting the larger chops.  Had he just gone with a regular thick cut chop, it would have been done in the 45 minute time frame and it would have beaten Bobby's.  He had technique and multiple components to the dish - which is what the judges look for.  But, by trying to go even bigger by choosing a cut that couldn't cook properly in that amount of time, he ended his chances.  I'm really tired of these chefs coming on thinking they have to go for it with something that is a time sensitive component - it kills them every time.

Time is obviously a problem for this guy, when he was battling the other chef, he was going to make rice until it was pointed out to him that he only had something like 15 minutes to go & it would take a lot longer. 

I finally watched this episode last night.  I agree that the losing chef had a time problem.  All the pork chops, both chefs, looked delicious though.

What I thought was most interesting was seeing the judge named Phillip.  Can't remember his last name.  He's the young man with very long hair that he wears in a sort of topknot.  He has been on Chopped and, IIRC, won.  He was also on GGG and definitely won.  AND he's been on Cutthroat Kitchen where he did not win.  He seems very nice.  I wonder how he went from contestant to judge.  He must have impressed TPTB.

• Love 1

What I thought was most interesting was seeing the judge named Phillip.  Can't remember his last name.  He's the young man with very long hair that he wears in a sort of topknot.  He has been on Chopped and, IIRC, won.  He was also on GGG and definitely won.  AND he's been on Cutthroat Kitchen where he did not win.  He seems very nice.  I wonder how he went from contestant to judge.  He must have impressed TPTB.

I was trying to figure out where I had seen him before but had only narrowed it down to "some other FN show." Thanks for additional details.

• Love 2

Chef Blythe, please get yourself to an ENT.  Your voice sounds like something serious is going on. 

Does everyone remember Chef Blythe that sounded so terrible?  I was reading about Giada's divorce on another site, and there was a link to a video clip from Paula Deen's Network.   Holy smokes!!  Guess who is on at least 2 of the episodes??  She doesn't sound quite as bad, and she definitely looks more put together. 

I just watched a repeat where Bobby competed in chicken and waffles for the win. One of the judges was a woman who owned a restaurant in Harlem. I swear she's the same woman he competed against in a Throwdown episode. How could she not recognize his style? IIRC, she beat him in the Throwdown episode.

• Love 1

FN needs to develop a show called "Beat Down Bobby Flay's Ego." He rarely loses, and I believe that's because his pepper-laced dishes are so recognizable to the judges (aka his friends). Who puts chili pepper flakes in linguini with clams? The judges rave about his favors, but I think they confuse that with heat. At least make it appear to be a fair fight.

• Love 1

Just watched the one with the Steak and Eggs and shock of all shocks -->

Flay Lost!! I cannot believe it.

The challengers dish looked amazing though. Perfectly cooked steak rolled up with chimichurri, on a bed of hollandaise, a sunny side up egg on top and a citrusy asparagus salad. YUMMY! Then Flay makes scrambled eggs. Scrambled Eggs?? I was like 'what are you doing, Flay?'. Why scrambled eggs??

Overall, it was a good one. I like Sunny Anderson and Ted Allen as judges. Ted Allen is the best, truly. The rest are too over the top. What I DO hate is when the judges go bother Flay and the challenger when they are in the middle of something. I would be so irritated with the distraction.

• Love 3

I'm watching a marathon tonight. I like that it's a 30 minute show. It keeps things moving along.

While the initial "judges" that pick the challenger are FN personalities, the final judges are not. I don't see any conspiracy theory here that the fix is in for Bobby. Bobby loves to compete - it's why he wanted to do this show. "Throw Down" ended because people figured out what was going on. He has experience from Iron Chef. I think this type of competition suits him.

It's doing well enough in ratings that it's been renewed. I wish they would do more Iron Chef, that was my favorite - maybe it got too expensive to produce or they couldn't find competitors?

This is one of the few competition shows I like.

• Love 2

I like Bobby Flay and I enjoy the show too.  He does tend to use southwest touches in many of his dishes so I suspect that the judges have a fairly good idea/guess which one he made.  Even so, I do think they vote for the one they like best. 

I do wish the FN judges who sit through most of the competition would stop bothering the chefs who are cooking.  They don't have time to chat and it has to be very annoying.,

• Love 3