Type keyword(s) to search

The Letdown - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Audrey is determined not to be defined by motherhood. In theory, this seems fairly easy. In practice, her career-focused husband, self-obsessed mother & fancy-free best friend, make it damn near impossible.

Audrey misses the final Parents' Group but gets a surprising one-on-one with Ambrose. Georgia organises a nurse-in, and Jeremy finally reveals his Californian job offer and he and Audrey face their past and future.

I have to admit that I enjoyed this and was peeved it was only 7 episodes.

Felt sorry for Audrey alot of times.  Motherhood is really hard and it didn't look like she got much support. Hated her friends in episode one when they ditched her to go clubbing.

Not liking Jeremy much overall.

Find the parent's group people absolutely hilarious and quirky. (but I couldn't stand that Ester)

I had to google what a home mocha was. lol.

Hopefully more people watch this and we get a season 2.

• Love 1

I really loved this show!  Currently having a one month old (although not my first) it was very easy to relate to a lot of the topics.  I really want a second season but I'd prefer they not ditch the parent's group people so maybe having the move not happen?  I think covering her while pregnant with a small child could make for a lot of good material.  And then it would get us to a third season before she's dealing with two kids. 

I loved the twist with the issue being using the wifi without purchase not breastfeeding. 

• Love 1

I finally finished this. My baby was born in March, so it hit a bit too close to home at first.  It still did, but now with just enough distance I could laugh.  I liked the earlier episodes where it was mostly just adventures in having a newborn, but I do appreciate that they fleshed out the story, or it wouldn't have been sustainable.  I might watch a season 2, if there is one.

I just discovered this on Netflix I really like this show. Doesn't anybody else?

I really liked Audrey's getaway with her mom to her Grandma's farm and her experience with equine therapy. Not sure I liked the confrontation by her husband and the other couple regarding the joke kiss. I guess that guy fessed up to his wife, it really wasn't explained how everyone knew about it.

• Love 1

Season 2 is now on Netflix. Its interesting because I find this and Workin Moms to be very similar, or at least have a bit of a similar premise, thought I find the characters on this show to be much more likable. 

One thing though that I wonder between watching both shows....what is it that Australia has against marriage? 

• Love 2

I was delighted to find the second season of The Letdown. Given that final scenes in the last episde were 2+ years from Stevie's birth, I think that's the end of the show. Major conflicts were resolved, people grew up, and Audrey is still misplacing Stevie. What's not to love?

• Love 2
On 8/3/2019 at 4:39 AM, IrishPirate said:

I was delighted to find the second season of The Letdown. Given that final scenes in the last episde were 2+ years from Stevie's birth, I think that's the end of the show. Major conflicts were resolved, people grew up, and Audrey is still misplacing Stevie. What's not to love?

Finished Season 2 as well.  I also agree that the final scene seemed more like a series final than a season finale.  I wonder with Netflix cancelling shows right and left that they did this on purpose. 

Likes: The mom's group (even Ester this time!), Martha coming out to her family and finding love, YiaYia's nursery, Audrey losing Stevie, and 

Spoiler

Audrey pregnant in the last scene

Hates: Jeremy's reason for leaving Adelaide, Verity's attitude of no boundaries and no filters, the millennials, the dude charging for the 12 step program in 6, Audrey and co. WAKE attitude.

For anyone who wants more try Workin Mom's on Netflix.

I enjoyed it though I am not the target audience, thought it was pretty funny.

But man, did Audrey have any other interests or interest in anything other than Motherhood and being a Mother? Definitely didn't seem like it in Season 2.

Were we supposed to agree with her regarding her friends who didn't want kids? I couldn't tell.

Were we supposed to agree with her regarding her friends who didn't want kids? I couldn't tell.

That seemed strange to me as well - with all of her feminist posturing (no Pepe Le Pew for Stevie!), you'd think she would be more understanding that not all women make the same choices.  I think the whole second season was supposed to be about how Audrey was dealing with (or not) and judging herself for the abortion and when she was confronted with another woman who didn't want children, she felt a little unmoored because it didn't fit into her narrative of 'what kind of woman wouldn't want a child?'  

I don't know what the norms are in Australia for season length, but the best parts of this season for me were the other moms' stories and if the season were longer I think we'd have been able to get more than every episode being A plot Audrey, B plot one of the other moms.  It's strangely disjointed as compared to, say, Workin' Moms, which has a similar premise.

The ending felt like a series ender, which is sad.  I prefer this to Working Moms.  I think I hate watch that one.  This just let a lot more realistic in terms of Motherhood and figuring it all out.  While some things are played for laughs, it is also gut wrenching in a very human way. I hope Sisters come back!  

I am not only child-free by choice, I cannot stand being around children, so I'm not the target audience, but this somehow popped up as a Netflix recommendation and looked interesting, so I took a gander.  I wound up watching the whole series in two days.

Audrey showing up to her friend's birthday party with her baby was a great episode, because she's so out of line and of course her friends pretend they're going home in order to continue what was supposed to be an adult night, but Audrey did it not because she's some idiot who thinks babies belong at adult birthday dinners but because her husband screwed her over and last-minute babysitting options are not good.  Her crying on the bus ride home was moving.

Her reaction to her friends saying they'd decided not to have children was awful, but she course corrected when it was pointed out and I found her apology genuine.  She shouldn't have needed it pointed out, but, hey, people screw up, and her festering feelings about the abortion played into that.

Speaking of which, I utterly LOVE she made the smart decision rather than potentially martyring herself for a fetus.  And that they both said it wouldn't have been the right time, even if the medical issue hadn't existed.

I equally adore her sticking to her principles and turning down his proposal (and that it wasn't a deal breaker for him), and, holy shit, that she did not let him baptize their kid.  I cannot believe he tried to do that behind her back!  (That would be a discussion they'd need to have if it was a true conviction of his, but he was just wanting to cover his superstitious bases, so hell no.)  There are so few atheist main characters on TV, it's always nice to see representation.

As someone who went to law school as a second career rather than straight from university, I deeply loved the scenes where she had to get her thesis approved by someone significantly younger than her.  Also that the youngster was right about her original thesis being outdated in its broad scope -- and how Audrey didn't give up, but honed in on something good.

I quite liked the women from the parenting group, and that we saw more of their lives than I expected to.  I wish we'd seen more of Georgia, though.  I love Ester being validated by the intern she thought was going to be a piece of fluff - and the intern wanting to build a life like hers, but minus the husband, no offense - Barbara making time for herself (I also like her turning SAHM into a superhero when she's not invited to participate in Career Day), and Martha coming out to her family.

This was a good show.  And, wow, was it nice seeing regular-looking people.

• Like 2