Type keyword(s) to search

Shetland - General Discussion

whatsatool
  • Start Topic

Me: the perfect man doesn't exist

Jimmy Perez: Hi

But, in all seriousness, I love this show. I much prefer the season long stories as opposed to the standalone stories of the earlier seasons. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

I missed sharing this on the day, but the man himself shared that they will begin filming in March. 

There is a fantastic "Shetland Bingo" sheet in the replies to this tweet, also.

ALSO, there is this:

I might actually kick this person outta the house... 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 2/26/2020 at 4:58 PM, dleighg said:

I don't know which forum I saw this on (apparently not here) but someone suggested the library as a source for seasons 4 and 5. THANK YOU! I watched 1-3 on Netflix, but was stuck. My library system has both 4 and 5 on DVD so I just started.

If your local library doesn't have what you're looking for, ask if they do interlibrary loans. Most do, for free or a minimal cost for postage. I worked my way through several UK series at $1.50 each for postage.

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

For us Yanks, it means it sucks if we don't subscribe to Britbox (or Acorn, whichever streaming service now has it).

BritBox.  The rest of us will have to wait until our local PBS stations air it.  For some,  it'll be soon after it is released on Britbox.  For others, it'll be months. :(

2 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

The rest of us will have to wait until our local PBS stations air it.

Does PBS have the broadcast rights? I thought streaming meant we'd have to wait for the DVDs (which, thankfully, do eventually get released).

7 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Does PBS have the broadcast rights? I thought streaming meant we'd have to wait for the DVDs (which, thankfully, do eventually get released).

Britbox has the streaming rights and probably "first airing" rights.  But shows that get released immediately on Britbox have still managed to make their way to my PBS station.  Shows like the past season of Shetland, Death In Paradise and that Mallorca-set mystery series. In fact, their airing is often sponsored by Britbox. Or Britbox is highlighted in some way.

• Useful 2

Watched S6E1 

Spoiler

They've done a good job of setting the stage for the season. It was really nice to see all the crew again - Billy's looking good if not a little like Santa!
I can't remember what happened to Rhona at the end of S5, so I will have to review that part but the new fiscal seemed to be a bit of a ray of sunshine amidst all the dreariness.

I liked the call back to characters from previous seasons and how the Kilmuirs are back.

Loved to see Tosh offer an ear for Jimmy, and he says he may take her up on that (with tears in his eyes).

The drone pilot/diver is carrying a lot of the story just now - so many questions. 

That neo-Nazi kid is so sketchy, what is Holly doing with him?

Watching week-to-week is going to be frustrating!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, buttersister said:

Got an email from Britbox announcing that season 6 would start airing in 17 days.

sounds like time for me to sign up for a free trial (which I will probably not cancel, knowing me :) )

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, dleighg said:

sounds like time for me to sign up for a free trial (which I will probably not cancel, knowing me :) )

Britbox is also showing another series (The Long Call) inspired by novels by the same author as wrote Shetland (Ann Cleeves) plus has lots and lots of other great stuff (try the Doctor Blake Mysteries from Australia!) so I have found it the most worthwhile of streaming services!

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, isalicat said:
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

Britbox is also showing another series (The Long Call) inspired by novels by the same author as wrote Shetland (Ann Cleeves)

I didn't realize The Long Call was already on! I've read the first two books in that series. OK, gotta do it :) 

15 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I didn't realize The Long Call was already on! I've read the first two books in that series. OK, gotta do it :) 

Its premiere is Oct 25th, so you do have some time (but not a lot!)

Edited by mledawn
ITS sigh
  • Love 1

Caught up on S6E2

Spoiler

Ugh, Donna Killick is off her nut - she's still blaming everyone else. No remorse, no awareness. Are they setting up the nurse for something with Jimmy? I hope not. She doesn't seem to be too affected by half of Shetland telling her the woman she's caring for is garbage. Also, Duncan WHY did you go there.

I'm not one to look too deeply into the story, so I tend not to solve anything before the end of the show, but there really seem to be a lot of balls in the air for these murders, still. I like how the new (temporary?) fiscal reined Jimmy in a bit regarding that. The chef seems super shady to me, but she's not on anyone's radar.

I'm not a big fan of Sandy, but wow - did no one wonder where he was when he didn't show up at the station in the morning? Or was that okay because he was supposed to be staking out Lynda's flat anyway? And now he's just gone and been hit by a car driven by that shady "friend" of Lynda's... Poor Sandy.

What does Donnie do that he's at Tosh's beck and call?

S6E3

Spoiler

Sandy never learns! I am glad he is okay from being run over but busted talking about the investigation again. Jimmy has more patience than many. 
Do we know the name of that constable who chased down and caught Curtis Galt? He is showing up enough that maybe we should. Look out, Sandy!

Loved the scene with Tosh and Jimmy. They’re my favourites, so scenes with just them are treats. Jimmy really needs to sort his dad though...

We’re going to find out that Logan shot Fraser in a PTSD haze, aren’t we...

Overall, I am no further ahead on the Alex Galbraith murder and Donna Killuck needs to take a long walk off a short pier. 

• Love 1

Just a reminder about the site's spoiler policy, Since Shetland is currently airing in the UK, discussion of the show should be open and not involve spoiler tags.  

If you'd like to be considerate for viewers who may not get around to watching the show until it airs where they are, what you can do is put the episode number at the top of your post, put in a few spaces and then discuss the episode.

That way., if another poster doesn't want to be spoiled, they can skip your post or skip the portion that is specific to the episode you're discussing.  

But it's tough to read a thread where everything is tagged.  And if you truly fear being spoiled, it's best to wait until you have seen the show before coming here.

Thank you! 

• Useful 1

I genuinely thought the spoiler rule was for when it aired in America. My bad - would untag but can't for the earlier posts and seem to be doing it wrong for my most recent one!

Edited by mledawn
I'm sort of useless
14 minutes ago, mledawn said:

I genuinely thought the spoiler rule was for when it aired in America. My bad - would untag but can't for the earlier posts and seem to be doing it wrong for my most recent one!

Don't worry about it.  It's a common mistake.  I just wanted to cut it off early before the whole page became under tags which is what we want to avoid.  

To clarify, the rule is usually that it isn't spoiler protected after its first airing wherever that first airing is.  The only exception I can think of is if the episode is added to On Demand or streamed online before its official airing. 

• Love 1
On 10/23/2021 at 2:56 PM, dleighg said:

Probably too late, but be aware Shetland drops one episode per week on Britbox,  so I’d guess any free trial will run out before the end of the season. 

1 hour ago, Rickster said:

Probably too late, but be aware Shetland drops one episode per week on Britbox,  so I’d guess any free trial will run out before the end of the season

I signed up to watch The Long Call (which I agree is not as good as Shetland). I discovered that I never saw Shetland season 5 ('cause it was on Britbox). So I've got two whole seasons of Britbox to watch, which I'll gladly pay (one) month's fee for. Or maybe two.

Shetland drops one episode per week on Britbox,  so I’d guess any free trial will run out before the end of the season. 

For the economy-minded, I'd wait until the entire season was available and then binge to your heart's content. 

And I see what I'll be doing tomorrow--episode 1, season 6 is up!

So in preparation for season 6 I watched season 5 (the one with the trafficking ring in Shetland). It's been quite a while since I watched season 4, but I could have sworn that Cassie was moving to South America (Brazil?) with her boyfriend. In season 5 she was clearly at university in Glasgow. Am I completely misremembering? Am I mixing this with some other British police procedural?

When I realized I did not remember the Donna & Kate story and sort of got lost during the first episodes, I went back and re-watched season 4. It was an amazing season and gave so much background and depth and motivation to several characters relationships for this season. Highly recommended.

• Like 1

Is there a set schedule for when a new episode will be available on Britbox? I feel like I always have to go in and check to see if there are new episodes of my streaming favorites. It was quite by accident that I found that Season 6 of "Shetland" had started. Same goes for Midsomer. And probably will be the case with Vera as well. Is there a way to be notified when a new episode is available? 

5 hours ago, J-Man said:

Is there a set schedule for when a new episode will be available on Britbox? I feel like I always have to go in and check to see if there are new episodes of my streaming favorites. It was quite by accident that I found that Season 6 of "Shetland" had started. Same goes for Midsomer. And probably will be the case with Vera as well. Is there a way to be notified when a new episode is available? 

Britbox sends me regular emails on “what’s new” and “what to watch” for new and returning series, which is how I knew Shetland was coming back. I noticed that there is a “watchlist” function on the site, maybe if you add a show to it you get more notifications on your favorites? - I don’t use it.

Otherwise, if a show, like Shetland, says new episodes weekly, I’m pretty sure they drop on the same day every week. This season started Tuesday, so every episode will drop on Tuesday.

• Love 1

I subscribe to both Britbox and Acorn through Amazon Prime Videos, and there doesn't seem to be any way to have notifications sent from those services--or at least I can't find one. Maybe it works if you subscribe directly with Britbox and Acorn. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, J-Man said:

I subscribe to both Britbox and Acorn through Amazon Prime Videos, and there doesn't seem to be any way to have notifications sent from those services--or at least I can't find one. Maybe it works if you subscribe directly with Britbox and Acorn. 

My subscription is directly with Britbox

I've having a little cognitive dissonance with the current season of Shetland (watching ep 2 tonight on BritBox) because I quite recently read the book on which this is based (Red Bones) and liked it so much that I binged through 6 of the book series so far. If you have read them also my issue is with Cassie (her age, and in fact her actual presence in Jimmy's life at this point) and the choice to cast a lead actor (who is wonderful! don't get me wrong) who is completely opposite the description of the character in the novels (which is emphasized since it is unusual for the setting). Anyways...I am enjoying the TV version too and recommend it to most everyone I know that likes this sort of thing. "The Long Call" was okay. A little thin on plot for the length of the thing overall and the lead actor was a bit wooden in my opinion.

• Love 2

S06E05 

The constable’s name is Alexander?! Two Sandys - prepping one to replace the other, certainly...

Duncan - you complete jackass! That scene between Mark and Dougie (Duncan and Jimmy) at Donna’s was so well done. And the scene outside their house also. Ugh what a gut punch. Stupid Duncan. 

Edited by mledawn
Added character names to avoid confusion