Type keyword(s) to search

Shetland - General Discussion

whatsatool
  • Start Topic

30 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Thanks for the Hinterland recommendation, @Pickles. I'm enjoying it, though things are getting soapy, which is disappointing. But the scenery is stunning, and that can go a long way with me.

I am glad you are enjoying it! I guess it did get a little soapy. I also loved the scenery. A good British crime show is my favorite. 🙂 If you haven't watched Broadchurch, put that on your list. LOVED it!

• Love 1

There's a general detective thread in the Genre TV and a British TV recommendations thread in the Everything Else TV forum to talk about shows that are not Shetland.

Edited by orza
  • Love 1

I love Hinterland.  I just wish there was more of it.....Wales is spectacular.  (It's also cheap to film in so you'll find a lot of British murder mysteries are actually filmed in Wales.)

Speaking of Wales, Eve Myles' new show, "Losing Faith" is on season two and is okay.  I think she's way overrated by the Welsh but she is a very popular actress.

• Love 2

Hey everyone,  a little OT talk is usually fine but most of the recent posts aren't about Shetland and really should take place in the aforementioned Detective and Mysteries thread.  They like the same shows you do and have great recommendations. So this is the official request to bring things back to Shetland and move the other talk there.

Here's a link. 

On 8/13/2019 at 3:33 PM, Capricasix said:

I just started the series on Netflix; after bingeing Bodyguard (twice) and Line of Duty in the last month, I’m addicted to British police dramas! I am really enjoying the series so far - the scenery reminds me of Cape Breton in Nova Scotia.

Douglas Henshall was in an episode of Inspector Lewis a few years ago, and Mark Bonnar (Duncan) was in the second season of Line of Duty.

My mom’s from Cape Breton and I’ve spent tons of time in CB as well. It’s nearly identical to Scotland and there is a reason for that - it’s not a happy coincidence.

Forced out of Scotland during the Highland Clearances, many Scots settled on Cape Breton Island because it looked (and still does!) so very much like Scotland with its craggy coastlines and breathtaking views of the water. It reminded them of home, so it was easier in that aspect with regard to settling and re-building their lives.

• Love 3

Just finished Season 5 (DVD rental via Netflix). In general I liked it very much, although I was bothered by

Spoiler

Dropping the key plot point in the last episode over who was the leak to the traffickers, especially since Perez thinks it might have been Alice. But after her husband was arrested he seems to trust her totally

Anyway, I hope it returns for a Season 6

• Applause 1
  • Love 3

Yeah, they never explained how Jimmy and Alice knew each other, yet when he went to her apartment for the party in the first ep of season/series 5, they seemed to be old friends...

Casting note: James Cosmo, who played the crime boss Arthur McCall in s3, is playing Farder Coram in the BBC/HBO adaptation of Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials.

• Love 1
On 11/23/2019 at 11:38 PM, Capricasix said:

Casting note: James Cosmo, who played the crime boss Arthur McCall in s3, is playing Farder Coram in the BBC/HBO adaptation of Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials.

I was surprised to see him playing a baddie in Shetland. He's great as Farder Coram, but to me he'll always be Jeor Mormont, the 998th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch in Game of Thrones. The Old (non-armored) Bear.

• Love 2

I just finished watching season 5, and I was underwhelmed, TBH. Olivia (the mom) drove me nuts. She interferes with the investigation all the time and then suddenly decides in the last episode she's done and attempts suicide? That simply didn't track for me. Had Zeze died, I could understand it, but not when things were still up in the air.

Poor Sandy. I hope he's cleared. What happened with Calum is probably every cop's worst nightmare, though as soon as he asked Sandy to give him 20 minutes, I knew he'd try to kill himself. Sandy should have taken the names down himself. I'm a bit surprised he didn't.

Nice to see Duncan finally stepping up and being a more active participant in his life, rather than riding the waves and letting things happen to him.

I'm kind of torn on Jimmy having a love interest. Alice wasn't wrong when she said keeping himself separate from people was necessary to do his job correctly.

FYI, this site reports that there will be a season 6 and 7, and filming will be in 2020 and 2021.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, krankydoodle said:

I'm in the US and watched it on BritBox, which has all of the seasons available to stream.

yeah I saw it was on britbox-- I currently have acorn -- maybe I'll swap it for britbox for awhile 🙂

• Love 1
On 12/16/2019 at 11:05 AM, dubbel zout said:

FYI, this site reports that there will be a season 6 and 7, and filming will be in 2020 and 2021.

Thank you, dubbel zout, for one of the best links I've read in a long time.  It covered the story so very, very well. (How had I missed that site?) 

What nice news to start a bland week.

This show! I love Tosh. I love Jimmy. I love their relationship. I can take or leave Sandy but I miss the dog. I am going to try and respond to any tense situation or horrific news in my life with Jimmy's trademark "...Okay...".

I spent the entire weekend (almost literally) bingeing this series. I watched everything available on Netflix (Canada) and am now stuck week-to-week streaming it via BC's Knowledge Network. I imagine I'll dedicate massive effort to finding another way tomorrow but if anyone in Canada has a resolution to this please lmk. It seems that Netflix and the Knowledge Network use a different numbering convention as this "current" season is called 4 but is really 5.

ANYWAY, I really enjoyed the show and working out the H!ITG actors. I actually yelled out "Malachy!" when I saw Sean McGinley as the actor was in a popular Canadian show (Republic of Doyle) that I also loved.

I also love all the sweaters everyone wears, it has me online shopping/surfing after every episode. I'm coveting Isobel Tulloch's peacoat (from the episode with John Lynch which is S02E03 according to Wiki but not Netflix).

• Love 1

Who was I kidding - there was no way  I could handle week-to-week if the series was already out. Needless to say, I have fully caught up.

Why was everyone so pumped for Jimmy to enter a relationship with a MARRIED WOMAN!? I was so confused when Cassie was all smiley and nudge-nudge about it. I understand that his friends and family want him to find a partner and be happy, etc. but that seems ridiculous. At least Rhona was being realistic.

It's gotta be old for Duncan to have Jimmy never give him the benefit of the doubt, and it's gotta be old for Jimmy to keep finding Duncan mixed up in shady shit. The ending was nice though, with Jimmy helping Duncan to keep him around. They're pals.

I warmed to Sandy a bit this series even though he left Callum alone for 40 minutes to write his statement when he said he'd be back in 20. I didn't need the visual of Callum bleeding out on the floor, if I'm honest.

Regardless, I'm on board with whatever contrivances keep our 3 (4 if you include Billy) coppers together. I see from @dubbel zout's link that the main actors have signed on for series 6 and 7, so that's great. It's going to be a long wait now, though!

29 minutes ago, mledawn said:

even though he left Callum alone for 40 minutes to write his statement when he said he'd be back in 20.

That was so plot-pointy. Sandy is not that stupid, but he needed something else to do besides say "Yes, gov" to Jimmy, I guess.

30 minutes ago, mledawn said:

It's going to be a long wait now, though!

Too long!

• Love 2
On 1/14/2020 at 9:34 AM, dubbel zout said:
On 1/14/2020 at 9:04 AM, mledawn said:

It's going to be a long wait now, though!

Too long!

I'd suggest reading the books that are the basis for this part of the series .  They are good reads and Jimmy is so Jimmy.  Duncan is different and comparing the two will give you a reason to rewatch the series (not that you need one).  But just to go back to Shetland (and this time, if you haven't already) use the satellite views on Google earth to see the cliffs and bird sanctuary.  And even drive some of the roads.  The Google maps are underappreciated and make the books and the series fun and richer as a video experience.

• Love 1
On 1/13/2020 at 12:59 AM, mledawn said:

I actually yelled out "Malachy!" when I saw Sean McGinley as the actor was in a popular Canadian show (Republic of Doyle) that I also loved.

He also had a starring role in an Irish cop show called Single Handed, in which he played publican Dennis Costello up in Connemara. This was another show with stunning visuals that I found after having binged Shetland. I visited the actual pub (Paddy Coyne's) in which McGinley's scenes were filmed in the village of Tully Cross...in the same trip that I visited the Crane Bar from Jack Taylor fame. Now for a trip up to Shetland!

I'm so glad to hear the show was renewed for another two series. Brilliant acting, good plots, nice story pacing and...those stunning visuals. Far better than any American TV cop shows by a country mile.

• Love 3

I don't know which forum I saw this on (apparently not here) but someone suggested the library as a source for seasons 4 and 5. THANK YOU! I watched 1-3 on Netflix, but was stuck. My library system has both 4 and 5 on DVD so I just started.

Nothing specific but this article is dated February 19th, "Filming of the latest series of popular BBC1 crime drama Shetland is about to begin on the islands within weeks."

"BBC One has not announced an airdate for Shetland’s sixth series.

The seventh series will be filmed in 2021."

• Useful 1
On 5/28/2019 at 1:33 PM, krankydoodle said:

I wish we got to see more of Sandy. While there've been a few scenes of Tosh's personal life, I can't even remember what Sandy's home situation is. Especially now that he's in crisis, it seems like it would be a good opportunity to spend a little more time on him.

Sandy was involved with a woman who had kids in season 3, but I can't remember what happened there.

Petty end-of-season-5 gripe: Duncan wakes up on the beach being licked by a dog, and the dog's owner DOES NOT come over or yell over to him to see if he's OK?!

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, dcalley said:

Sandy was involved with a woman who had kids in season 3, but I can't remember what happened there.

Petty end-of-season-5 gripe: Duncan wakes up on the beach being licked by a dog, and the dog's owner DOES NOT come over or yell over to him to see if he's OK?!

Didn't Sandy and his girlfriend break up?

As for Duncan, I'm sure it's not the first time he's been awakened on the beach by a dog, and everyone knows it. Heh.

• Love 2

I just finished all five seasons on Britbox and although I didn't love it as much as Vera, I still thought it was great.  Especially the relationship between Jimmy and Tosh.  Actually, I just loved all things Tosh.  Alison O'Donnell is so fabulous in that role.  

• Love 6

The next time I rewatch Shetland, probably in a month or two, I'll follow locations on Google satellite earth. And then let the little yellow icon  drive me around the islands.   

A rewatch of Shetland is better than a new watch of most things on TV.                        

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

A rewatch of Shetland is better than a new watch of most things on TV.           

I agree! I recently watched a short series with Douglas Henshall that was quite good: The Silence. I can listen to his Scottish accent all day long.

(edited)

Just started watching Shetland. I love Vera so I figured that I would enjoy this too. I watched the two episodes of Season 1 and just finished Raven Black from Season 2. Quite good. I like the atmospheric mood and the beautiful scenery. Also appreciate that, so far, the violence isn't particularly gruesome. The relationship between Perez, his stepdaughter and his stepdaughter's biological father is quite interesting.

Just finished Season 3. I was surprised that there wasn't any resolution between Rhona and Phyllis once the latter was arrested. I thought the Tosh rape storyline was well done. The biggest character growth is Sandy who, in Season 1, was a uniformed cop with limited skills. Beginning in Season 2, he has been shown to be a DC with serious computer and tracking skills. 

Edited by LisaM
3 hours ago, Harry24 said:

I recently discovered this show and watched it on Amazon.  Can anyone explain the relationship among Tessa and her two dads?  I totally missed it.

Love the show.  

Cassie? Duncan is her bio dad, and Jimmy is her stepdad. After Fran died, Jimmy and Cassie moved back to Shetland.

Edited by dcalley
3 hours ago, Harry24 said:

I recently discovered this show and watched it on Amazon.  Can anyone explain the relationship among Tessa and her two dads?  I totally missed it.

Duncan wasn't much of a husband which we've seen on this show.  When Cassie was really young, her mother ended up leaving Duncan and eventually married Jimmy.  Cassie basically grew up living with her mother and Jimmy.  When her mother died, she stayed with Jimmy as he was the stable dad. 

It has always been an interesting dynamic, IMO.  You can tell that Jimmy wasn't a fan of how Duncan treated Cassie's mother (Duncan's ex-wife/Jimmy's now late wife).  And you can tell Duncan wasn't thrilled that his first wife left him and eventually found  a "better" life with Jimmy and that he has to basically share Cassie with Jimmy. 

And yet, deep down, I think Duncan is grateful that Jimmy was there.  Over the years, they've developed this deep bond over being the two parents Cassie has left.  

• Love 4
4 hours ago, dcalley said:

Cassie? Duncan is her bio dad, and Jimmy is her stepdad.

and just to elaborate, as I recall, Duncan was not much of a dad, Fran had full(?) custody, if not legally, in practice. Jimmy was very much part of both of their lives and Fran "willed" Cassie to Jimmy (again, if not legally, then in practice). Duncan and Jimmy over time became more of co-parents. At least that's in the books. Not sure if it was ever made explicit in the show, as the show takes place after Fran's death (again, as I recall). I don't believe Jimmy and Fran were ever married (in the books).

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Harry24 said:

Thank you, dcalley, Door County Cherry, and dleighg!  That really helps.  It sounds like it was more clearly explained in the books (which I haven’t read.)

and I realized I had a typo. Fran "willed" Cassie to Jimmy, not Duncan (I fixed it)

9 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

And yet, deep down, I think Duncan is grateful that Jimmy was there.  Over the years, they've developed this deep bond over being the two parents Cassie has left.

Oh, definitely. I love they way they co-parent Tessa.

7 hours ago, dleighg said:

Duncan and Jimmy over time became more of co-parents. At least that's in the books. Not sure if it was ever made explicit in the show

I think it's been made pretty explicit: Tessa calls Duncan her father and Jimmy her dad. It's mentioned every so often.

On 9/20/2020 at 12:12 PM, dubbel zout said:

Oh, definitely. I love they way they co-parent Tessa.

I think it's been made pretty explicit: Tessa calls Duncan her father and Jimmy her dad. It's mentioned every so often.

Oh, dear.  I was the one who originally re-christened Cassie as “Tessa", but it’s too late to make the correction apparently.  And now it’s spreading!