Type keyword(s) to search

Good Witch - General Discussion

• Start Topic

just my opinion but i used to love this show. way back. i just can not get interested in the characters anymore. it is boring and just a shell of what is was. i think i'm done. that couple at the inn was a waste of time. where do they find all the second rate actors. just ugh.

and yet they cancelled the real o'neals which although a completely different kind of program had good acting and was very watchable. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/9/2017 at 10:11 PM, Jacks-Son said:

I used to think "Gilmore Girls" was a show geared towards a particular gender <cough, cough>. An ex-girlfriend used to ask me to watch the show and I refused.  Anyway, years later I watched the show for laughs and realized that the Gilmore girls had their own unique language when they spoke, and it was actually pretty funny. Being an ex-New Yorker, I was accustomed to fast-talkers. Long story short, Stars Hollow had the same sort of residents in the town; people would drift in & out of various shops as if nobody worked. I think that's part of the quaint atmosphere of quirky shows.  As far as Sam goes, more often than not, he always seems to be on the hunt for Cassie, and rarely works out of his office. I find myself wondering when does he actually have time for his patients. He's sort of like the Doc Martin of Middleton, as in the only doctor in town, although his escapades aren't as funny.

I also see some slight shades of Northern Exposure -- a small town with quirky characters and one doctor, albeit Sam is there by choice and Rob Morrow's character really wasn't.

On 5/13/2017 at 11:04 AM, madfortv said:

I like Martha and am neutral towards Abigail.  I like Brandon and his wife but not their story line. Whatever happened to Lori?

I like to think that she is in a bunker somewhere with Gail. And possibly with Grace's friend from season one. 

I actually loved this episode.  Its tone was a lot more similar to the earlier movies.  They had a lot of great call-backs that we've asked for, including Cassie using her broom (on the front steps of Grey House), Cassie being actually magical, Cassie popping up behind people unexpectedly, and being a little prescient, etc.  All we were missing was an Isis sighting, though I suppose enough time has passed between the movies and the series that Isis is long-dead. I was wondering if someone had been reading these boards and I was grateful for all the call-backs.  

Now, if they would only have Martha mention once in awhile that Cassie used to be mayor.  I don't think Sam even realizes that she once ran the town.  Also, wonder where they have been keeping Ben?  They probably can't feature everyone in every episode due to the budget (George wasn't in this episode). I also liked the guy who played the Fed Ex delivery man.  He had a small role but was pretty memorable because he played it with a certain twinkle in his eye.

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

I also see some slight shades of Northern Exposure -- a small town with quirky characters and one doctor, albeit Sam is there by choice and Rob Morrow's character really wasn't.

I've been looking for "Northern Exposure" for a few years now and I still can't find it. I've got Netflix, Hulu, & Amazon Prime and I still cannot find "Northern Exposure". I saw the first episode and forgot about it and now I can't find it again.

• Love 1
Just now, Jacks-Son said:

I've been looking for "Northern Exposure" for a few years now and I still can't find it. I've got Netflix, Hulu, & Amazon Prime and I still cannot find "Northern Exposure". I saw the first episode and forgot about it and now I can't find it again.

Well bummer!  I have the first season on DVD.  I actually used to have a secretary who looked an acted just like the doctor's secretary, Marilyn.  I can't believe the stupid streaming services don't have it -- it was so popular when it was on!  Another small-town-with-quirky-characters show I missed was Twin Peaks.  Some day I'll have to make time to catch it on streaming.

I was really glad they brought back Martha's ne'er-do-well son last season.  I was just really bummed they didn't do more with his character.  I love Martha's husband too, though I'm at work right now and can't, for the life of me, remember his name.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Cowgirl said:

Another small-town-with-quirky-characters show I missed was Twin Peaks.  Some day I'll have to make time to catch it on streaming.

Well, "Twin Peaks" is getting a re-boot, so you'll get a chance to compare the original with the re-boot.  Now, I hate to admit this and I'll deny it when asked directly, but for a "fish out of water" in the Physicians category, I watched all but the last season of "Hart of Dixie". Rachel Bilson played a newly minted MD from New York City who winds up owning half of a practice in Bluebell, Alabama. Talk about quirky characters.  Like Gilmore Girls' Stars Hollow, & The Good Witch's Middleton, Bluebell, Alabama was always having some daily annual parade, contest, or town function.

• Love 1

My favorite small town is Eureka - a town full of super genius, eccentric scientists doing highly advanced scientific experiments - what could possibly go wrong?  (oh, like creating a second sun - oops - or nearly destroying the moon - oops - or almost flipping  the earth's magnetic poles - oops - or...

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

My favorite small town is Eureka - a town full of super genius, eccentric scientists doing highly advanced scientific experiments - what could possibly go wrong?  (oh, like creating a second sun - oops - or nearly destroying the moon - oops - or almost flipping  the earth's magnetic poles - oops - or...

Well, if you liked Colin Ferguson as the Sheriff in "Eureka", you definitely won't like him as a bad guy in another "small town w/quirky residents" series, "Haven".  Almost all of the residents had "Troubles" (special powers which randomly caused havoc) Another Syfy series no longer in production.

Oh, I forgot Cassie was once the Mayor of the town.  Isn't that when she was running against Martha and Martha had a "Salem witch" campaign?

• Love 1

I'm enjoying this season as a nice distraction from reality.  It's nice fluff.  

The lawyer in me was annoyed by the flower deliveries.  I don't even do contracts or sales stuff, but even I know that you literally do not have to take delivery of a disputed purchase.  And Abigail absolutely could have called/e-mailed them and said  please stop sending unsolicited flowers.  I realize that, as always with this show, the flowers ended up having a purpose.  But it was irritating to watch the delivery guy, who admittedly was played by a charismatic actor so it was even more annoying to be annoyed with him, insist that she had no choice. 

• Love 2

What did you think of Abigail hijacking Cassie's and Sam's romantic dinner and machinations with regard to the guests at Grey House, for her own purposes?  She orchestrated Grace and Nick's "Break-In" of Martha's office simply to draw Cassie and Sam away from their dinner, so that the two Grey House guests can mingle just to end the interminable week. Meddling  for selfish reasons?

• Love 1
On 5/16/2017 at 1:41 PM, Cowgirl said:

On 5/16/2017 at 2:08 PM, Jacks-Son said:

Northern Exposure is possibly my most favorite teevee show - ever.  I still have old video tapes of many episodes in my defunct old oaken "entertainment center".  Back when I still sorta celebrated Xmas with my visiting Mum, we'd binge watch NE (long before it was a "thing").  WHY don't any of the eleventy billion channels air this little gem of a show?!?   :-(

Watching Good Witch makes my teeth itch.  It is what I'd imagine a mayo sandwich on white Wonderbread with the crust cut off would taste like.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yay! This week Martha mentioned that Cassie is a former mayor!  

Did they ever say what Grace's idea was, for which she needed money in the first place?  Either they're coming back to it, or it was just a plot hole, I guess (Or, I missed it.).  

I kind of laughed at Cassie wandering around her shop placing random items in a box.  I guess they helped people later.

They didn't say anything about it, but at the end, Stephanie was using Cassie's salt shaker to salt her plain popcorn. 

As per usual, Abigail's advice was both helpful and trouble-stirring at the same time. 

Geez, does Sam need to be hit on the head with an anvil?  Cassie seemed a bit heavy-handed with him this time. I did like the secret-ish kind of grin she kept smiling to herself.  Kind of a knowing grin, but not obnoxious. Nick helping Ben was a bit random, but I guess they needed to shoehorn him into the episode.  Nice little moment with him fixing the cabinet at home though.  If George was in this epi, Cassie could have sent him over. 

Guess Martha has a new assistant? I did laugh that she could just unilaterally make decisions without a motion, discussion, or a vote.  I'm the attorney for a board of county commissioners, and if they did that, my head would explode and the chiding memos would fly! If you fired that guy Martha, you'd have enough money for trees and a swing set.  

All that being said, I'm really liking this season SO much better than the first two!  It's back to fun and a bit of magic and charm again. Thank you The Powers That Be!

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Love 2

I liked the first couple of movies, but recently, in the tv show,  it seems like Catherine Bell is only acting with her LIPS.  Constantly pursing her lips.  Giving a sideways look and pursed lips.  I've had enough already.

• Love 2
(edited)

☝️☝️This. Grace wanted to keep it secret, even from Cassie.  Cassie was on her game this episode. Her shopping spree was to pick items that she knew would be needed. (e.g hinges, door knobs, giving hints to Stephanie to look under the stairs, having Grace go into the attic to find the piggy bank; which led to her trip to the bank and the tip about recycling and not needing recognition). I didn't like everyone's hints to Sam, especially Cassie's. She seemed to keep waiting for Sam to profess his love. Sam is right, Cassie knows how he feels, and I know everybody likes to hear the words, but it sort of became uncomfortable. Let Sam come around when HE'S ready. Again, Abigail is in everyone's business. Please, please, find Abigail either a love interest or something else to do. I sense her boredom with the flower shop.

Martha was really childish with her hiding and screeching voice. Like fingernails on a blackboard.

Edited by Jacks-Son
Dooh!! It's fingernails on a blackboard, not chalk
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Watching Good Witch makes my teeth itch.  It is what I'd imagine a mayo sandwich on white Wonderbread with the crust cut off would taste like.

Best description and summation of this show ever!

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm choosing to take the charitable interpretation that Cassie had one of her "feelings" that Sam wanted to say the words and was having a little trouble, so she helped him along. Seen through any other lens, she definitely came off pushy. Nonetheless, I loved the moment when he said it.

it seems like Catherine Bell is only acting with her LIPS.  Constantly pursing her lips.  Giving a sideways look and pursed lips.

Yep, and this is weird because we know she's capable of more.

I didn't like everyone's hints to Sam

Well, if anything, Abigail was encouraging him not to say the words. Speaking of her, I liked the fact that Sam was able to make her laugh. No one makes Abigail laugh, ever, yet Sam pulled it off. I might wonder, in an alternate universe, whether - but alas, this ain't that show.

Edited by allhailkingjack
  • Love 1

There were a few people that I wanted to slap upside their heads in this episode, "A Birthday Wish"!  Of course there are my favorite two people that make my hand reach out desperately to give them a good knock. First, there's Martha. I don't know what it is about Martha, but my teeth start grinding whenever I hear her voice or see her face. Her, "The shop is never closed TO ME", is the epitome of smug self-absorption . Ugh, lady, get over yourself. I know that's how the showrunners want her to play the character, but damn, can't she tone it down?

Than there's my other favorite, Abigail. She actually was a little less irritating in this episode, but her, "Oh, your Mom didn't tell you she was in a foster home on her special birthday?". C'mon, Abigail, let Cassie tell Grace in her own time. Maybe there's a reason she hasn't mentioned it. Ideally, Grace would look in the book and see for herself and she and her mother could talk about it together. I guess, the writers wanted to set it up so that Grace would put her wish in with her mom's blank page. Cute set up, but oh, so irritating and contrived.  At least I may have gotten MY wish and the writers appear to have given Abigail some distraction in the new guy, Liam. 

Now, little Miss "Kitchen Re-arranger", sorry, but that's a BIG No-No. You don't come into someone's kitchen and arrange everything to suit you. How would she like it if Cassie came into her restaurant and re-arranged everything. My mother tried that once and it set my ex's hair on fire. That was a fire I couldn't put out with an extinguisher; especially if the roles were reversed, good ole Mom would have yelled for days.

Not a bad episode, but a little too sweet for my teeth.

• Love 1

I just cannot figure out the reason to have the witchy kitchen bitch in any episode on any tv show.  What a pain in the butt. 

Jacks-Son, I can't agree with you more about Martha. She's so shrill and self centered that I would love to see someone take her down a bit.  

• Love 2
(edited)

I wish when the chef started re-arranging Cassie's kitchen that Cassie had swept her out onto the street with her special broom. 

Cassie is becoming sickly sweet.  I miss the days when she dressed in black, Bell, Book and Candle was an occult shop, the Cassie had an edge to her.

And I am really getting tired of each episode being a "so-and-so Learned This Lesson, and so-and-so Learned That Lesson".  Cassie used to be able to help people find what they needed without Teaching Them A Lesson.

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

What was the point of the chef's story?  That she learned to stop being busy and stir a pot for a day?  (And yes, I wish when she started re-arranging Cassie's kitchen that Cassie had swept her out onto the street with her special broom.  Cassie is way too sweet sometimes.)

I am really getting tired of each episode being a "so-and-so learned this lesson, and so-and-so learned this lesson".

I think the point was as the previews said, "A visiting chef can't relax, so she follows Cassie's advice and spends a day stirring a recipe in order to quiet her mind." Cassie killed two birds with one stone on that one. The chef learned to chill out and not be so overbearing with her staff and urge them to chill out also. Meanwhile, she got her to make the Caramel sauce that is Grace's favorite. I agree, Cassie is too sweet, but perhaps we can all learn to quiet our inner turmoil. The woman is a Saint, though. She was able to grin, and bare the chef's constant refrain about moving items.  Grace, channeled her mom, took it all in stride and pointed out that Cassie most definitely had everything she would need to cook, while she quietly gathered the ingredients.

As far as lessons learned, the show is rather formulaic right now. It was better when they had the mystery of the cut plant.  One thing I want to say, Middleton is NOT a quaint little town. Arial views reveal a rather large city. I guess the concentration on Grey House and Cassie's shop makes one think they're living in Stars Hollow when the actual town is much larger.

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Now, little Miss "Kitchen Re-arranger", sorry, but that's a BIG No-No. You don't come into someone's kitchen and arrange everything to suit you. How would she like it if Cassie came into her restaurant and re-arranged everything. My mother tried that once and it set my ex's hair on fire. That was a fire I couldn't put out with an extinguisher; especially if the roles were reversed, good ole Mom would have yelled for days.

Yes, I know that this is OT but it made me recall a family kitchen rearrange story; I have a cousin who is, sadly, completely blind. When she had her second baby her MIL showed up to help and decided to make her kitchen 'more efficient'. Cuz comes home from the hospital and...you can imagine. That baby is 27 now and I suspect that Cuz is still trying to find the damn cinnamon.

I tried to get her to see the humor but, alas, failed. I know I'm not always a saint but it still makes me smile.

Edited by Beden
  • Love 1

Overall, I am enjoying this season more than last season but the one thing that always gets my goat is the doctor's office.  Every time someone visits the doctor they have to climb up eight somewhat steep stairs.  (Yes, I was anal-retentive enough to pause the show and count them!)   Every time I see people going up those stairs I want to scream.  Apparently in Middleton only able bodied people can go see what is apparently the only doctor in town. 

Ahaaa.  Rant over.  I feel better for getting that off my chest.

• Love 1

This season is so much better than last season.  However...

Sam and Cassie seem so forced.  And who ever said Katherine is just acting with her lips, at this point is right.  James Denton seems to play any character the same way, so I'm not surprised at his portrayal of Sam, but they really need to work on their chemistry.  For two characters who barely kissed last season, hid any feelings last season, and are trying to keep the relationship on the down low from their kids, it was painful to watch the "I love you" anvils dropping all around them.  They are really at the point of I love you?  They never even have time for coffee together, let alone life changing conversations.

I don't really get the Grace and Sam situation.  A few episodes last season she was "working" at his medical practice.  Then towards the end of the season she was freaking out that he might date her mom.  She looks to him as a surrogate father but doesn't want Cassie to date him?  So they date on the sly?

The rest of the townspeople are just filler, including Martha.  I'm glad they've toned down the crazy baby fever discussion between Brandon and his wife that occurred in every episode last season with no resolution.

I also didn't understand the role of the mystery organizing chef this week.  I guess it was supposed to mirror Cassie rearranging her shop, (though why she had to box it up to move it around the shop is the real mystery).  The chef, just really didn't have a role other than to make the caramel sauce (which the baker could've made), it was a really confusing plot hole.

• Love 3

I sorta enjoy the show. It does bring a relief from the real world. One thing keeps bugging the heck out of me. Everyone is always walking around with a silly grin/smile on their face. Nobody seems to frown. I guess Middleton can be called the happiest town in the world.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, nitrofishblue said:

I sorta enjoy the show. It does bring a relief from the real world. One thing keeps bugging the heck out of me. Everyone is always walking around with a silly grin/smile on their face. Nobody seems to frown. I guess Middleton can be called the happiest town in the world.

Psst, psst, "Stepford Wives"......shhh!  J/K, I think that's in keeping with the Hallmark channel MO. Earlier posters likened it to "After School Specials" or Valium City.  Middleton is an Angst-Free Zone. Only Martha has the proprietary rights to Angst

• Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 4:58 PM, scenicbyway said:

Sam and Cassie seem so forced.  And who ever said Katherine is just acting with her lips, at this point is right.  James Denton seems to play any character the same way, so I'm not surprised at his portrayal of Sam, but they really need to work on their chemistry.  For two characters who barely kissed last season, hid any feelings last season, and are trying to keep the relationship on the down low from their kids, it was painful to watch the "I love you" anvils dropping all around them.  They are really at the point of I love you?  They never even have time for coffee together, let alone life changing conversations.

Can't agree with you about James Denton's acting - I think he's incredibly gifted and I see a lot of nuance and polish in his work - but I have wished to see more, I don't know, heat(?) from Catherine Bell in these scenes. I can't tell if it's her acting (or lack thereof) or if it's just the fact that Cassie is written as such a shallow, saintly character that there's literally no script direction for her except to smile. And while they're no longer trying to keep their relationship on the DL, the ILY conversation did happen sooner than I thought it should. (I will say I believed it more from Sam's side because he seems to have been in love with Cassie for quite a while before he even considered telling her - or at least that's what I see in James' portrayal). I love the fluff scenes, but I have been hoping for deeper interactions between them - maybe even a genuine disagreement. But I'm guessing that with a ten-episode season, Hallmark feels the need to rush some of these milestones a bit. 

There's a lot of bad acting on this show.

And it's so sickly sweet, (has it always been so bad? I thought it was better, maybe that was just the the specials before the series) such a perfect town, everyone is pretty damn well off, beautiful homes, clothes, businesses, this is a part of America I am not a part of and while yes, it may be nice to look at as an escape, it also infuriates me, I will rest my case. 

No diversity , everyone is vanilla. Even the "magic" is blah.

Gilmore Girls town was idylic also but for some reason it worked. 

I want to delete it off my dvr, but like Sleepyhollow, I have a compulsion to watch to the bitter end. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, msrachelj said:

No diversity , everyone is vanilla. Even the "magic" is blah.

Gilmore Girls town was idylic also but for some reason it worked. 

I think I saw a person of color standing in line waiting for the new theatre to open, although I can't be sure. /snark

GG worked BECAUSE it had diversity. Let's see the breakdown:

Lane (Rory's best friend):Korean(?); Her mom, Mrs. Kim; Michel: French Canadian, Gay(?); Ms. Patty: Puerto Rican; Gypsy: Lebanese/Dominican; Caesar (Luke's chef): Mexican(?).  Then there's our fan favorite, Kirk: Alien 

Most of all, GG had tons of humor - "Oy with the poodles already!"

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/1/2017 at 4:04 PM, nitrofishblue said:

STEPFORD>...  ( i see someone beat me to it!)

Cassie's daughter bugs. She can't act, like most of the cast. I'm hate watching at this point. Every time they said "special birthday" I wanted to scream. WHY was her actual age such a secret to the viewers ? I hope it's not renewed. 

Edited by msrachelj
addition
  • Love 2

I think the show could use a little spice to make it more believable.  Currently, there is very little 'There' there.  It just seems like it is lacking an overall arc to allow the individual episodes to weave into. If that makes any sense. Right now, the series has left the serialized portion that allowed the Middleton Merriwick's cutting story to be at least interesting.  Now, it's just "This week in Middleton...blah...blah....blah". 

On 6/3/2017 at 9:05 AM, msrachelj said:

She can't act, like most of the cast. 

I think the actors need better writing and directing to show their talents. Although I never watched "J.A.G.", Catherine Bell must have been able to act as she helped keep that series going.  I enjoyed Sarah Power's acting on "Killjoys", where she played an aristocratic rogue physician and the love interest of one of the Ashmore twins. James Denton was on "Desperate Housewives" for a heckuva long time. (Another show I never watched) I'm not familiar with Bailee Madison's portfolio, but I assume she was chosen for some acting talent.  I don't think the acting is lacking, just that they are not given much to work with.  I, and others, have contrasted "Good Witch" with "Gilmore Girls", and the difference is glaring. Whereas GG was fun, GW is alarmingly Generic.

• Love 1

I watched JAG and Army Wives.  Catharine Bell is kind of a one character person.  She doesn't change a lot but she does rise or fall to the level of the directing and those around her.  She needs some spark somewhere to do her best.

• Love 1

i just watched tonight's episode. what was in those choclates? Abigail wanted people to notice her then got tired of giving advice.   That couple who were scared to fight were idiots. A couple has to fight. Its not good to hold things in. its like they were never in a relationship.

And of course a guitar just happens to be laying around the inn.

(edited)
4 hours ago, Absolom said:

I watched JAG and Army Wives.  Catharine Bell is kind of a one character person.  She doesn't change a lot but she does rise or fall to the level of the directing and those around her.  She needs some spark somewhere to do her best.

I hope this isn't rude, but if I may ask, what made you choose the user name "Absolom"?  It is the name of the Adversary in the "Repairman Jack" books by F. Paul Wilson. Just curious, as I love that series.

Edited by Jacks-Son
Typo

Currently, there is very little 'There' there.  It just seems like it is lacking an overall arc to allow the individual episodes to weave into. If that makes any sense. Right now, the series has left the serialized portion that allowed the Middleton Merriwick's cutting story to be at least interesting.

Nailed it. I think the flower story was a smart choice, but they resolved it way too soon. This has never been a fast-paced, plot-heavy show - one of the reasons I liked it - but it seems like things are dragging even more than usual lately. I'm also worried they're rushing toward the marriage proposal finish line, and I think it's too soon for that. There should be actual relationship development with those two, not just sweet fangirl moments. We'll see, but I'm getting concerned. 

(edited)

I don't think we will be seeing any deep relationship stuff or passion between Cassie and Sam.  This show is all on the surface.  Additionally, I don't see any real chemistry between them that would make me believe any passion.  The romance between them is just very...pleasant.

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 3

I was excited to see Tom in this episode!  Then, I was thrilled with Abigail's plotline at first, but then it went nowhere and showed no character development.  They seem to be determined to write her character with was little warmth as possible. It seemed like she had some affection for Grace, and some kindness towards her customers, but then that all went out the window and she reverted back to her selfish, uncaring self. Ugh!

I thought surely that Tom would buy the silver tray in Cassie's store to make it up to Martha for selling theirs.  Oh, and we also found out that Martha is still (allegedly) a good customer.  Maybe she's the one who keeps Cassie in business when Cassie is giving everything away to others.

Geez, Sam not only mooches b'fast, he brings his company over to mooch too.  At least his friend then rented rooms from Cassie. 

I really liked Tara and Brandon (for once!) in this epi.  Although, it cracked me up when they were obviously irritated with each other on the street that Cassie commented on how well they seemed to be getting along. I'm glad they dropped the annoying baby madness storyline, but hope they do more regarding Tara's estranged mother. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

I hope this isn't rude, but if I may ask, what made you choose the user name "Absolom"?  It is the name of the Adversary in the "Repairman Jack" books by F. Paul Wilson. Just curious, as I love that series.

Sorry, not related to that series of books. 

1 hour ago, Cowgirl said:

I was excited to see Tom in this episode!  Then, I was thrilled with Abigail's plotline at first, but then it went nowhere and showed no character development.  They seem to be determined to write her character with was little warmth as possible. It seemed like she had some affection for Grace, and some kindness towards her customers, but then that all went out the window and she reverted back to her selfish, uncaring self. Ugh!

I thought surely that Tom would buy the silver tray in Cassie's store to make it up to Martha for selling theirs.  Oh, and we also found out that Martha is still (allegedly) a good customer.  Maybe she's the one who keeps Cassie in business when Cassie is giving everything away to others.

Geez, Sam not only mooches b'fast, he brings his company over to mooch too.  At least his friend then rented rooms from Cassie. 

I really liked Tara and Brandon (for once!) in this epi.  Although, it cracked me up when they were obviously irritated with each other on the street that Cassie commented on how well they seemed to be getting along. I'm glad they dropped the annoying baby madness storyline, but hope they do more regarding Tara's estranged mother. 

How weird, an Abigail-centric episode! Although she's not my favorite character, I was initially curious as to where they were going to go with this. Alas, the writers dropped the ball. I agree with you @Cowgirl. I'm confused about Abigail, does she or does she not share Cassie's and Grace's knack for intuition/"magic"? She was certainly aware of Cassie's gifts regarding caring and helping people with their concerns, so much so that she wanted to emulate it. (For selfish reasons, though)  However, she frankly sucks at it. Grace, who I think is 16 or 17 yrs old, has more sensitivity to others than Abigail does. Are they trying to make me think that Abigail, a grown woman, needs help from a teenager to comfort people? The only conclusion I can come to, like @Cowgirl says, is that Abigail is extremely self-centered and superficial. Also, she is extremely lazy.  She realized how much work it was to be to be a better listener and just gave up. Are the writers intentionally trying to make me dislike Abigail. The writers introduce ideas then don't follow through or explain things. Were the chocolates infused with magic or were they just plain chocolates and through the power of Abigail's personality, calming.  Were they always bought from the store next door and Abigail wrapped them with her "flair"? No answers to those questions. Also, what was up with Abigail telling Cassie that Liam was interested in her? Was he really interested or am I that old where I can no longer tell? She deliberately approached him in the shop and then said she was "currently not dating". Was that to slyly tell him she was "available"? Was she being coy?

As an Abigail-centric episode, all the other interactions seemed to be just filler. Sam plays guitar; Nick and Noah dislike each other; Martha, Tom, Tara & Brandon argue; Grace is REALLY sort of nosy; Stephanie has an extremely odd confrontation with a food inspector; all fillers to what should have been an intriguing peek into Abigail's mind and it was all a waste.

1 hour ago, Absolom said:

Sorry, not related to that series of books. 

Okay. I was just wondering if the books were an inspiration for your choice of username. Thanks.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Also, what was up with Abigail telling Cassie that Liam was interested in her? Was he really interested or am I that old where I can no longer tell? She deliberately approached him in the shop and then said she was "currently not dating". Was that to slyly tell him she was "available"? Was she being coy?

I agree with your whole post @ Jacks-Son.  I also thought that it was odd that she would say that Liam was interested in her.  In my opinion, it was just another way she stroked her own ego.  

(edited)

Abigail always assumed men were interested in her, whether or not they gave any indication.  That's just part of her character.

The writers (or directors) need to come up with something for the actors to get their teeth into.  As it is, Cassie is always smiling archly, Grace is always cutsie, Abigail is always smirking, Sam is always looking bemused, Martha is always...well, Martha. 

And was it just me or did Grace, in the scene where Liam's son tells her he is jealous of  Nick, look like she had a whole new level of makeup on?  When she turned around to watch him walk away, she suddenly looked more madeup and mature.

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

In my opinion, it was just another way she stroked her own ego.  

That whole attempt to bring more customers into her flower shop was a thinly disguised competition.  Seeing as how almost everyone stopped by to chat with Cassie and she easily remembered tidbits about the person and offered advice and/or encouragement seamlessly, rankled Abigail. She was an afterthought to those chatters.  It seemed like Abigail wanted to beat Cassie at her own game and when she successfully usurped Cassie's customers, she gloated like a little kid.  "I guess I have more customers than you!" or something to that effect. Childish! I guess the writers want to paint her as the "anti-Cassie" or the foil. Why?  Why introduce the subject of the "Merriwick Women" and then clearly put one of them at odds with the other? At least in "Charmed", Prue and Phoebe had traditional sisterly spats. Perhaps Abigail is envious of Cassie's relationship with Sam? (Not that there's much to be envious about) 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

Abigail always assumed men were interested in her, whether or not they gave any indication.  That's just part of her character.

Not an attractive part.

6 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

And was it just me or did Grace, in the scene where Liam's son tells her he is jealous of  Nick, look like she had a whole new level of makeup on?  When she turned around to watch him walk away, she suddenly looked more madeup and mature.

I think Grace has been wearing too much makeup this whole season.  :-)  I have two nieces who live with me, and the bathroom trash can is always filled with discarded paper towels with makeup smears. They each spend an hour in front of a mirror applying makeup.  I understand that the makeup department applies the actor's makeup but I think sometimes it can be too much.

Writers, please don't try a Nick, Grace, Noah triangle. That's not the kind of drama this show needs.

• Love 1

I guess I just didn't notice the makeup before.  But in that one shot of her, the eye makeup looked especially pronounced.

I thought it was a bit weird that all those people in the town automatically assumed that Abigail's chocolates were magical...

I think I missed it somewhere slong the line, but what happened to the awesome lake house Sam was going to buy?

For some reason in this latest episode, I really noticed CB's neck scar. Never noticed it before. Ever. Had to Google and it turns out she beat thyroid cancer when she was19 or so. She had said she is rightfully proud of the scar. Good for her.