Type keyword(s) to search

Good Witch - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Thanks, greekmom - I'll let my Mum in Canada know.  What channel?

I think it was the W network but I am not 100% sure now. I remember seeing the commercial yesterday when I was watching back to back Will and Grace? 

• Love 1

I really don't want to sound like Scrooge McScrooge here but this show is starting to make my teeth hurt. I like sweet and light just fine but...crikey, even the relative bad characters have heartwarming ulterior motives. There's no real conflict, no real drama aside from warm and fuzzy. Does anybody really think that Cassie and the doctor won't end up together? Does anyone really believe the son's marriage is in genuine trouble? The first wife desperately clinging onto her doctor ex will ever get remarried or whatever to him?

For me it's a bit like eating so much candy you want some salt to balance things.

• Love 4

I loved the movies, but the series stinks.  The doctor has no balls and needs to tell the ex wife that their marriage is long over and she should hit the road.  The obnoxious cousin needs to fly her broom out of the city.  

• Love 6

I agree about the movies but the series is really losing my attention

The doctor's wife, his receptionist, the mayor, the café friend - not a strong, sensible woman in the bunch  

The cousin & her amazing flower shop - wouldn't it be wonderful to have a first time business open with so little stress & such fabulous supplies & products? She can exit anytime

What was with the guy & giving the scarf to the café friend because she resembled his deceased wife? Is he going to be part of the story? Not sure what the purpose was of that small part

• Love 2

I thought a glass of wine would enhance my viewing experience but I was mostly bored and annoyed. I swear it took forever to watch, even on dvr!

Sam and Cassie still don't have any chemistry and I wish tptb would just move on! I'm sure this new guy is just another "conflict" but I like him better than Sam already. 

I thought the scarf guy was going to be set up with cafe friend's (Stephanie?) mom. 

The cousin and Sam's ex are awful but I don't care for Sam's nosey secretary either. She said something stupid last week like "we gossip because we care about you." What!

I swear I watch the Hallmark channel to remind myself to never live in a small town. :)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, crimsongrl said:

I thought a glass of wine would enhance my viewing experience but I was mostly bored and annoyed. I swear it took forever to watch, even on dvr!

Sam and Cassie still don't have any chemistry and I wish tptb would just move on! I'm sure this new guy is just another "conflict" but I like him better than Sam already. 

I thought the scarf guy was going to be set up with cafe friend's (Stephanie?) mom. 

The cousin and Sam's ex are awful but I don't care for Sam's nosey secretary either. She said something stupid last week like "we gossip because we care about you." What!

I swear I watch the Hallmark channel to remind myself to never live in a small town. :)

A gallon of vodka wouldn't enhance my viewing experience of this dreck.  The movies were an inoffensive mindless diversion.  This show?  Awful.

And I like small towns!  But not even bucolic scenery can save this for me.   :-(

Was Season 1 this bad?

• Love 1

What happened to the magic?  I recently viewed the movies, and the was actual magic with Cassie.  Now she is just a person whose new claim to being special is that she speaks six languages and can authenticate art.

The series is beyond bland; the storylines are confusing and/or not interesting, the characters not interesting.  I was really looking forward to this season, but I am so disappointed.  The magic has gone out of it...

• Love 2
(edited)

How many storylines were there last night? and what was the point of most of them?

Martha's son

Grace's driving lessons

Sam's ex-wife

The man with the scarf

Abigail's shop

Stephanie's mom

Cassie's friend from the past

Ryan

Tara and Brandon and the baby

The hypochondriac

Sam and Cassie and their ?relationship?

Did I miss any?

It seems the writers don't know where to go with the series, so they are throwing all sorts of things out there.  I would be happy if they tied everything together in one brilliant move, but I rather doubt that will happen.

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 3
On 3/7/2015 at 7:30 PM, GaT said:

I am still slogging through the movies, & I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it. The last one I saw the world was up in arms because Cassie appeared to vanish in a viral video. Cries of "witch!" were everywhere because of course no one has ever heard of things like stopping the recording or using CGI to make it appear that someone vanished. Innocence is one thing, stupidity is another.

I was watching the Good Witch "Charmed" movie and saw the "youtube" video that was posted. Umm hello... simple editing on how Cassie vanished? My god that was done back in the 60's with Bewitched.  Agreed with GAT - these people are really stupid. Speaking of Bewitched, why isn't Cassie (as well as Grace) more like Samantha in regards in doing magic? 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, greekmom said:

I was watching the Good Witch "Charmed" movie and saw the "youtube" video that was posted. Umm hello... simple editing on how Cassie vanished? My god that was done back in the 60's with Bewitched.  Agreed with GAT - these people are really stupid. Speaking of Bewitched, why isn't Cassie (as well as Grace) more like Samantha in regards in doing magic? 

I stopped watching this show after the season was done because there is NO magic in it. I don't even know why it's called The Good Witch, Cassie being mysterious is not the same as being a witch.

• Love 3

I like the actors playing Cassie, Grace and Sam's wife (my favourite on Corner Gas).  But agree with the above posters.  The show really needs to be revamped.  Reminds me of the later seasons of 7th Heaven.  The overall goodness, the sugary sweet attitudes, over wholesome characters,etc.

I can't stand the character of Sam's wife (it's like move on sister. He's not that into you...) and Cassie needs to be more into the magic and not that the magic is just assumed or coincidence. 

The story of Tara/Brandon and baby is just plain stupid and straight out of 7th Heaven again.  Young couple, living in parent's home and want a baby. 

I don't mind Abigal staying around but get rid of Martha and the Doctor's secretary.  They just grate on the nerves. 

• Love 1
(edited)

One of my pet peeves in TV shows, movies, books, real life...whatever are people playing the dumb card.

As mentioned above, in the real world (or in the world of a TV show with better writers)--yes, the dr would have told the ex to find her own apartment and she can see the kid when he and the court approves and the son is old enough to be told the reality, his receptionist would be on unemployment. The nasty cousin would have been canned from that restaurant. Is there really no one in that burg who needs a part time waitress job? The son and his bio clock ticking wife would have--oh, I dunno--maybe discussed having kids and when months or years ago.

And I don't get why--aside from the show's plotline--Cassie has three (it is currently 3, right?) hot, available guys after her. Sure, she's being played as a new-age version of Mother Teresa but she's just not all that as far as I can see. Ever calm, ever serene, ever ready to dispense wise advice which will, miraculously, solve whatever your current problem may be.  And yes, she's lost her mojo, such as it was, in the mediocre movies. The magic, where's the magic? Here, have some lavender, it will calm you down. Oh, please.

Maybe surprisingly, I don't mind Martha, she's comedy relief and fine...aside from the reality of that in a small town the mayor wold probably be a part time job--possibly even unpaid as in the small town I live in--and actually has little power as almost everything has to be approved by the town counsel. The chief of police isn't her personal handmaid. 'Something I'll overlook because this is a TV show.

Treeofdreams? Thank you--endless unrelated and unneeded loose plotlines which have no apparent reason for being and are then dropped with equally no rhyme nor reason.

And another thing--I seriously dislike the producer conceit of a wink and a smile regarding secret secrets which they never resolve...what's Cassie's real story? Why is she there? What's her agenda? Can she really do 'magic' or is it all smoke and mirrors? Lost was the same way and it irritated me no end.

But overall? Boring boring boring.

Edited by Beden
  • Love 3

I came to the movies for Catherine Bell & Chris Potter.  Catherine DIsher was a fantastic bonus (seriously talented in all sorts of roles - I've loved her work since Forever Knight).  They are consistent with the magical knowing without actual incantations.  I still watch, but I don't think I've watched any of the movies or series episodes without lots of fast forwarding (watched last Sunday's ep today in about twenty minutes).  

It has stayed stylistically consistent all these year, and there is a lot of spot-the-Toronto-based-Canadian-actor moments.  

Hmpf.  I can't really explain why I keep watching, but I'm going to keep watching.

• Love 3

Thanks guys for not wasting my time. This season has remained untouched on my DVR and thought I would give the premiere a chance, but it seems to be more boring than season one (how is that possible?) so it's deleted.

• Love 3
(edited)

I was just realizing that not only have they left out the magic, they have also left out her other witchy ways - no potions, herbs, or aromatherapy.  I don't think she even does any of that "appear out of nowhere" or mysteriously knowing when someone is behind her stuff any more.

As I recall in the last episode, we saw her at her shop a couple of times, but instead of brewing or mixing she was dusting or arranging some sort of food item on a desert stand.

Why take a show called the Good Witch, and dewitch it?  She is no longer the good witch, just the good neighbor, a nice person who likes helping people.

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 4

Why take a show called the Good Witch, and dewitch it?  She is no longer the good witch, just the good neighbor, a nice person who likes helping people.

And become beyond boring. Maybe that's her new spell...? You know the old Chinese curse about 'may you live in interesting times'?  She's protected everyone from that possibility.

• Love 3
(edited)

One does wonder why certain decisions are made...there is certainly no logic in dewitching the witch the whole series is named for!

I also wonder if the series has the same writers as the movies did.

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 2

I noticed that Catherine Bell has the Exec Producer credit. If she's really steering this thing then, yikes, all I could think of was (I think it was) LB Mayer who commented when he heard that Mary Pickford/Douglas Fairbanks/Charlie Chaplin had founded United Artists..."The inmates are running the asylum". While, certainly, some actors have the abilities to actually produce a show, most of the actors I've worked with in my 30+ years in professional theater make...good actors.

• Love 1

Interesting.  But if she is calling the shots, it seems very odd that she would take so much of the focus of the show off her character - usually it would be the other way around.  And to dilute her previously successful character into a bland version would also seem a strange choice.

• Love 1

Actors often get producer credits for financial reason. I believe it has to do with residuals that are paid out for dvd sales, syndication rights and stuff like that. That doesn't necessarily mean that the actor actually works as a producer. I don't know if that's the case here.

• Love 1

I agree with both posters above. The Ex Prod credit may well be a legal way for Bell to pad her paycheck, likely arranged by her manager or agent if that's the case; I have no inside info on the backscene workings of this show.  But it's also possible (and I don't know either way) that she may really be involved in decision making. Whether that's the case or not, yes, the choice to downplay the major character and plotlines regarding the mystery of who Cassie is and what she isn't looking like a good one. While her main plotlines are obviously being lost or muddied by the numerous extraneous sub plots, Cassie is still the central figure--2 gentlemen friends oh so politely vying for her, everyone ends up in her shop or kitchen and so on.

Like I mentioned above, the whole idea of secret secrets in this kind of thing (who is Cassie, why is she there, is she magic, is her daughter and so on) is something I personally find a bit of arrogance on the producers/writers part and one I don't find interesting in the long run, particularity if it's just hinted at and never really addressed or resolved.

Whatever's going on, it's meandering and boring from my POV. With any luck probable declining viewers (they are declining, aren't they? Or are they?) may cause a shift in later episodes.

• Love 1

It's like every episode is the same episode!

Enough with the Brandon and his wife baby storyline.  The are living in a house with one chair and she wants to put a  baby's room in the living room?  Brandon clearly doesn't wants kids yet. The whole thing is annoying.

Grace is a sophomore in high school but works at the doctor's office most of the day?  Sam's son could really study abroad as s sophomore?

Last season they had guest characters with actual stories to solve.  This year it's just circular with no drama.  It's like they took a two hour movie idea and are stretching it into 10 episodes.

• Love 6
(edited)

Last season they had guest characters with actual stories to solve.  This year it's just circular with no drama.  It's like they took a two hour movie idea and are stretching it into 10 episodes.

You've hit the nail on the head with this...thank you. The last ep where the deadbeat guest was totally forgiven by Saint Cassie because she'd learned her lesson (or something) was gagworthy for me. I was reminded of a quote from some movie I've forgotten; 'saints are boring, no one can live up to you, you're bloody perfect'. Well, yes. Cassie is boring. The daughter is boring. Brandon and his wife's will we/won't problem is boring. The doctor's used to be troubled son is boring....no drama, no conflict, nothing is really resolved, just round and round and they don't seem to get anywhere.

Oy.

Edited by Beden
  • Love 4

Hi everyone, new to this board!

Watching Episode 7 now. Loved the movies, but the series is like watching paint dry. Brandon's wife is super annoying. So is Stephanie. Sick of these weekly transient guests at Gray House who add nothing. Another stupid love diversion for Cassie, and now this hospital lady for Sam?!? Now a ghost?!? Who cares? Sorry, I feel better now. Lol.

• Love 3
(edited)

I've no insider info but I'm wondering if the original writers/producers/whomevers have left the project and it's now being steered and guided by others who either have different ideas or, possibly no real idea about where to take the characters. It seems seriously adrift as to numerous and pointless plotlines and characters with no real goals in realistic sight; which beau will Cassie end up with ? (I'm betting the doctor) When will Brandon's wife get pregnant --not if, when. Will there be any reason to keep the drs kid around and will his ex ever show up or is her contract up now? The cousin, newly red-haired (forget her name) anything? Birds chirping? he runs a florist shop, well, okay but is there any other reason for her other than to be mysterious and manhungry? A ghost? Really?

Round and round and never get anywhere while Saint Cassie remains saintly and acts with half smiles and little else.

I actually don't mean to sound so negative but they've taken a cute show with an vaguely interesting twist and don't absolutely nothing with it. Nothing about Cassie's dead ex other than she misses him, is the daughter 'special' or not, will Brandon ever grow a pair, will the dr even make a move and does anyone care at all about the cafe owner or will Martha's son ever get off his butt??????

I like lake houses but that looks like a pretty big impulse purchase for a small town GP already carrying what's probably a fairly hefty mortgage.

Edited by Beden
  • Love 3
(edited)

I have to agree with all of this.  I too have been wondering if these are different writers than there were for the movies.

Another change I noticed this season is how Cassie dresses, wearing just "normal" clothes rather than what she used to wear.  Oh yes, and her shop is now all light and bright, not dark and witchy like it was before.

The only scene I found interesting was actually Abigail, when she was having coffee with the guy she is interested in (name?)  Does she not realize that telling a prospective boyfriend that she is good at manipulating people into doing what she wants them to do is not a good idea?  And he's all, uh, okay, well, I have to go now...

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 2

The only scene I found interesting was actually Abigail, when she was having coffee with the guy she is interested in (name?)  Does she not realize that telling a prospective boyfriend that she is good at manipulating people into doing what she wants them to do is not a good idea?  And he's all, uh, okay, well, I have to go now...

Yep..my take on this is that she'll eventually realize that, golly gosh, love's not a game and he's her first real true love and will (sort of) change her manhungry ways as he continues to be unimpressed until--oh my--he realizes that she's all that and the woman for him.

Maybe?

I always confuse Brandon's wife and Cassie's blonde friend for each other and constantly find myself wondering why Cassie is casually helping her son's wife date other guys. Did they recast the wife or something, I swear she used to look different?

(edited)

I finally looked this up on the IMDB and yes, the writers for the series are completely different from the movies.  The director, however, is the same.

The movies were all written by one person.  The series has a whole team of writers - which may explain why there are so many storylines.

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 1

I finally looked this up on the IMDB and yes, the writers for the series are completely different from the movies.  The director, however, is the same.

The movies were all written by one person.  The series has a whole team of writers - which may explain why there are so many storylines.

That's not surprising but interesting to know--thanks for checking. It's common for a show--especially an hour long show--to have a series or stable of writers; writing  an hour long script (or 48 minutes or whatever an hour long show currently really is) is incredibly difficult. It's like writing a play a week and so the producers commonly have a bunch or writers with a head writer to keep everyone on track. Most shows have a 'bible', a breakdown of characters, motivations, possible story lines and all that kind of thing to make sure that the various writers have guidelines to maintain consistency and avoid confusion, to prevent just the problems GW is having. There is almost always a storyline meeting before a season gets started to sketch out the various plot lines and decide an overall view of the direction of each character and where/what will happen to them...who gets married, moves away, dies, has a baby, goes off to college, wins the lottery or whatever.

This is just meandering and seems to have no or little direction (in the where are they going sense) or why we should care. IMHO, anyway.

• Love 1

Judging by the "quality" of the writing, I am guessing these are new/young/amateur writers.  The stories are bland, unoriginal, and pointless.  Certainly not what one would expect from a professional writers.  Interns perhaps?  Do they have such a thing in writing? 

• Love 2

Judging by the "quality" of the writing, I am guessing these are new/young/amateur writers.  The stories are bland, unoriginal, and pointless.  Certainly not what one would expect from a professional writers.  Interns perhaps?  Do they have such a thing in writing? 

Not in any way trying to be a know it all (I'm not and don't, trust me) but my big bro is a union film writer who at one point was the youngest member admitted to the Screen Writer's Guild and is still active. What little I know is through him. Generally the less experienced the writer (or anything, I guess) the less you have to pay them. Obviously Arthur Miller--if he wasn't dead--would command more $ than a recent film school grad. Not sure about the intern thing but wouldn't be surprised if they exist. Decent writers almost always have agents to rustle jobs do their negotiating for them for a commission. The better the writer, the more in demand they are, the more $. I know--no-brainer there. While any paid writing gig is good, a cable show which is, I suspect, a long way from a big hit or award bait would want to cut corners where they can, though IMO, you can fudge a lot but bad writing is hard to over come. When the bro was a recent grad and just getting started he made a name by becoming known as a good script doctor. He was the guy who would come in, often mid- filming and rewrite serious crap, trying to make it palatable and workable. 'Made good $ at it, too.

It's also possible that TPTB have a different 'vision' than whoever helmed the movies and are slicing and dicing the scripts. It seems to me that even the actors are holding back and sleepwalking through their scenes. Whether this is how they're being directed or not I've no idea but it's put me to sleep.

• Love 1

Maybe the actors are not inspired by the bad writing!  The movies and the series have the same director, but maybe he is the one sleepwalking if not so interested in the project any more.  I would think the director would also be responsible for the changes such as the way Cassie dresses and the change in her shop.  But maybe, as you suggest, instructions are from on high from TPTB.  Though I still wonder why they think this is a good idea.

The information on writers is interesting, thank you for that.

• Love 1

Yes, it's certainly possible that the director is phoning it in but it would be a stupid move on his/her part as you're only as good as your last project and people pay attention to the caliber of work you produce when looking to hire. The art director (who has control over the overall look of the show--locations, decor, costumes, makeup and so on) and costumer would have the most input regarding clothing but would also take a cue from TPTB as well as (possibly) the actor wearing the stuff. It's common for actors to get at least part of their characterization from the physical look of the role; g-strings and pasties are a different vibe than a nun's habit. I'm no writing expert but this I do know; I was a lighting and costume designer for a few decades...what the actors wear can definitely affect their view of the character. Johnny Depp is a real case in point.

Who knows if they have chemistry? Their conversations are so vapid they could be discussing oreos vs chocolate chip.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Sherry67 said:

Season 3, coming in 2017.  And there will be another Halloween special in October (presumably, October of this year) -- http://deadline.com/2016/06/good-witch-renewed-third-season-hallmark-channel-catherine-bell-james-denton-1201765954/

I don't understand how this is possible. I stopped watching after season 1, but I've been reading the comments about season 2 & it seems even worse, & I'm not reading a lot of positive comments. How did this show get renewed? Is Catherine Bell a real witch?

• Love 1

I hope the original writer of the movies returns for the Halloween special.

Apparently the series is still successful, and we are the only ones not liking it.  :)  According to the article ratings are good:   "Our original series have performed outstandingly well on a very competitive night."

Also from the article:

“Fans are enchanted by the magical adventures of Cassie, Sam and Grace – charming characters who have inspired our viewers to believe in the magic that can be found in our everyday lives." 

So they are re-interpreting "magic" not to be witchy magic but just everyday ordinary stuff?  And yet, the series is still called "The Good *Witch*.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

I hope the original writer of the movies returns for the Halloween special.

Apparently the series is still successful, and we are the only ones not liking it.  :)  According to the article ratings are good:   "Our original series have performed outstandingly well on a very competitive night."

Also from the article:

“Fans are enchanted by the magical adventures of Cassie, Sam and Grace – charming characters who have inspired our viewers to believe in the magic that can be found in our everyday lives." 

So they are re-interpreting "magic" not to be witchy magic but just everyday ordinary stuff?  And yet, the series is still called "The Good *Witch*.

There is magic in telling the recent  widow lady to go to the coffee shop and order banana nut bread. It will be out and the man of her dreams will offer to share the last slice with her. Magic.

That's a far cry from the magic that was in the early movies.  I am remembering an instance when Jake came home and found Cassie standing on the roof sweeping, with no ladder in sight.  An instant later she was down on the ground standing next to him.  Jake: "How did you do that?"

And again when Jake saw a delivery of several cartons being delivered to her shop; a minute later he went inside and the cartons were all unpacked.  Again, Jake: "How did you do that?"

What we saw wasn't just intuition or serendipity - it was real magic.  No sign of that these days.

• Love 1