Type keyword(s) to search

Good Witch - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Holy shit, you people are seriously hilarious.  Will the whole town turn out to perform a mass prayer for Cassie's lost magic?  What will the people of Middletown do if they don't have Cassie's cryptic comments disguised as sage, prescient, wisdom do?  Will Grace be forced to reveal Cassie's family 8 ball?  Or does she use 8Ball.net "Better Not Tell You Now!"

• LOL 1

Scene:

Cassie is lying in a hospital bed in a coma.  Sam is using his doctoring powers to try to figure out how to wake her up.  Abigail brings her flowers and Stephanie bakes her a cake, then the two of them prowl around the hospital looking for doctors to date.  Nick is sitting by her bedside, playing video games.  Grace considers the possibility of not going to college if Cassie has not regained consciousness.  Martha flutters in and out of Cassie's room, annoying everyone.

• Love 2
(edited)
57 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

Cassie is lying in a hospital bed in a coma.  Sam is using his doctoring powers to try to figure out how to wake her up.  Abigail brings her flowers and Stephanie bakes her a cake, then the two of them prowl around the hospital looking for doctors to date.  Nick is sitting by her bedside, playing video games.  Grace considers the possibility of not going to college if Cassie has not regained consciousness.  Martha flutters in and out of Cassie's room, annoying everyone.

Spot on. Perfect simulation of what would probably happen in that scenario.  Meets all of the requirements for Hallmark in general and GW specifically. All players are present, accounted for, and in their assigned roles. Well done. Now, all that it needs is to tie in that artifact from the refurbished bidet leading to the fountain of youth. Cassie can be brought the magic elixir, using the Golden Chalice from the Bell, Book & Candle which really turned out to be the Holy Grail, which visiting author L. Ron Hubbard, "inadvertently" <Air Quotes> found along with Cassie, when searching her shop for props to use for his book sale of "Dianetics for Dummies: The Modern Science of Mental Health, Vol. 2"

Disclaimer: No Scientologists were injured during the filming of this episode!

This episode in no way implies that the "Fountain of Youth®️" can be used to replace the use of Botox. This statement has not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to cure, prevent, treat or diagnose any disease.

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • LOL 2
On 7/10/2019 at 3:29 PM, Cowgirl said:

I was just thinking -- if the writers wanted to start dipping their toes back into the witchy elements (though they probably don't, because isn't the base audience for Hallmark Channel now mostly conservative Christian women they are terrified to offend and lose?), they should start with bringing back Cassie's ability to communicate with animals.  They did this for a hot second in the first season where she convinces a pigeon or some kind of bird to vacate Sam's new premises.  Also, can't she have her green thumb back too?

And finally, where has the set for Sam's house gone?  Did it just evaporate into the ether, like Cassie's fantastic garden, spooky metal fence, and a good portion of the cast?

I was really hoping for some Wiccan content. None so far.

• Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

I was really hoping for some Wiccan content. None so far.

Have you only watched the series?  Anything remotely Wiccan was in the movies, before the series.  The witch's broom, the black cat (Isis), the occult shop, herbs and potions, Cassie's magic garden, Cassie's ability to communicate with animals and to do real magic.  Even Abigail, Cassie's cousin could do real magic.  (And the name of the shop, Bell, Book and Candle, was a nod to the movie about witches.)With the series, they have been whitewashing everything, and there is very little left. 

If you want to watch the movies, they are, in order:

The Good Witch

The Good Witch's Garden

The Good Witch's Gift

The Good Witch's Family

The Good Witch's Charm

The Good Witch's Destiny

The Good Witch's Wonder

Then the series begins...

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 7/11/2019 at 9:12 PM, Quickbeam said:

Cassie's fantastic garden, spooky metal fence,

I loved those.

On 7/11/2019 at 9:12 PM, Quickbeam said:

And finally, where has the set for Sam's house gone?  Did it just evaporate into the ether,

😄 At least if Cassie had proofed it away it wouldn’t be so bad.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, treeofdreams said:

Good Witch will be off for a couple of weeks while Hallmark is running Christmas movies yet again.

Of course, who doesn't love a good Christmas movie IN JULY???  Thank God our country has managed to save Christmas /s

Sorry, feeling particularly bitter this morning watching the news.  Bah Humbug!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Okay, NOT pregnant.  I'm starting to think NOT Botox either.  Now I'm thinking more along the lines of steroids.  A lot of physician's tend to prescribe Prednisone to combat a few ailments.  Prednisone can produce the "alleged" side effects that others seem to have noticed. <cough, cough>

• Love 2

Finally all caught up with this series, although I missed the Halloween 2-parter, because Netflix airs it as the first two episodes of the following season, so I won't get to see it until Season 5 drops next summer. 

Questions:

Where did Brandon and Tara go? At Cassie's wedding, Grace says to them "I can't believe you are leaving tomorrow," to which Brandon replies "It's too good an opportunity to pass up." What opportunity? Was this addressed in the aforementioned Halloween 2-parter? 

I was surprised to see Brandon and Tara at all in Season 4 because they had vanished without explanation for much of Season 3 and 4. Then they just popped up like they'd been there all the time.

The TV series never knew what to do with Lori and Brandon. Lori disappeared without explanation halfway thru Season 1 and was never mentioned again until they started planning the wedding (and said she wouldn't be able to make it). 

Shouldn't Grace and Nick already be in college? They were applying last year, and we know the almost-wedding took place in October and now we're past that. Were they high school juniors last year and seniors now? We never see them going to school. They were fifteen when this show started five years ago, they should be twenty now.

Entirely too much emphasis on Abigail and Stephanie's love lives this season. 

I'm not too crazy about Cassie's new foster brother. His face is just way too angular or something. I also get sort of a gay vibe from him, except I know there are no gay people in Middleton.

I shudder to think how they will replace Grace if Bailee Madison is leaving the show. The TV series has always invested heavily in the teen stories. I foresee Cassie and Sam adopting or fostering some new teen girl next season. Ugh.

5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I foresee Cassie and Sam adopting or fostering some new teen girl next season. Ugh.

Oh my, I never thought of this scenario, I hope they don't go there. I just don't see Sam as a very loving Dad, he comes off so cold. I started watching the TV show because I loved the movies but the show loses so much of what was great about Cassie and Jake. No magic.

• Love 2

I really wonder what they are going to do with Cassie's character from now on.  The movies centered around her relationship with Jake, the series has centered around her relationship with Sam.  Now that they are married, they don't even seem to have a relationship, only separate storylines apart from one another.

Since they have blandized her out of recognition as a witch, what is left? 

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

Since they have blandized her out of recognition as a witch, what is left? 

Endless stories of one townie after another husband/boyfriend shopping.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

except I know there are no gay people in Middleton.

Give them time, they just found a POC as background diversity in Stephanie's diner.  I actually saw an Asian female.  Not bad, hey, one year they even had a Black person that spoke lines.  <mind blown>

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I love how these random characters show up and we're supposed to pretend they've been there all along. Have we ever seen Nick's hockey-playing friend before? Has Nick ever mentioned him once in the five years this show has been on the air? Yet here they are playing video games and even Sam acts like he's known him forever. Then this supposedly "famous" hockey player shows up to give the kid a pep talk. I know nothing about hockey so I had to wait for the closing credits to see if that was an actual hockey player. Nope! Fictional.

Are Martha and her husband so hard up for ideas they spent a vacation a Grey House? 

• Love 2
(edited)

I agree about the random friends of the teens that show up @iMonrey.  I too also wondered if that was a real hockey player who visited in the hospital, so thanks for checking.

I actually really liked this episode!  (Well, except for lack of real witchy abilties, as per usual.) 

How come they never mention Abigail's last name?  It's probably not Merriwick, but didn't they mention it in the movies or even on this series?  I had also forgotten that she'd gotten her own place. I was thinking that, with Tom, Martha and Cassie under the same roof (and if Abigail were there) there were three past mayors and the present mayor.  I laugh that they never mention that Cassie used to be the mayor, but I guess that's not central to any current plot.  It would be a nice continuity callback though. 

And finally, while I was watching this epi, I kept thinking "Jacks-son's head is going to explode!" because it was such a Martha-centric episode and I know she drives him nuts.  I don't mind her most of the time, but was shocked -- SHOCKED I tell you-- when I noticed that, in Grey House, she didn't have on her customary brooch, scarf, necklace combo.  She did, however, have on more than one necklace,  plus a scarf, so maybe that's how they had her overaccessorize in this epi, for a change. It all kind of works on Martha though.  And, I was SO happy to see Tom again!  Poor George, however, seems to have faded away since the episode featuring his truck.  Maybe he's visiting his wife Gail, in her nonexistent universe!

I see that, next week, it looks like we're back to a hidden (probably magic-esque) article must be found before a town festival trope that we know and love on Good Witch. Maybe they read our mini plot above!

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Love 2

How come they never mention Abigail's last name?  It's probably not Merriwick, but didn't they mention it in the movies or even on this series?

The lineage both Abigail and Cassie have back to Elizabeth Merriwick is sketchy from what I recall. In the first movie, Cassie was said to be a descendant of the Grey Lady (and of course, the portrait of said Lady looks exactly like her). But in the second movie, it turned out the Grey Lady was the fictional invention of a writer named Elizabeth Merriwick. Somewhere along the way the two stories were conflated to say that Cassie was descended from Merriwick herself.

• Love 1
(edited)

Abigail's last name is Pershing.

If I remember correctly, Cassie's birth name was something like Sue Ellen, but I don't remember her last name.  It wasn't Merriwick.  And then she made up Cassandra Nightingale to reflect her (former) witchiness.

Who played Donovan's mother?  She looked familiar, but I can't place her.

Edited by treeofdreams
(edited)
3 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

And finally, while I was watching this epi, I kept thinking "Jacks-son's head is going to explode!" because it was such a Martha-centric episode and I know she drives him nuts. 

Awww, you thought of me when you saw a loud-mouth, flighty, functionary doing her shrieking best to irritate those around her.  I'm touched.  🌹Thank you for considering my feelings. I haven't seen the episode yet, but be sure, when Marta comes on screen in this Martha-centric episode with her voice, and her commanding presence, I will be thinking of you running around your office bellowing orders left and right and cleaning up the mess that the local pols created.

C.Disher.jpeg.c72618b80779ed30fccd464f03628684.jpeg

P.S. Catherine Disher (Martha Tinsdale) has an extensive body of work, more than I thought she would have.

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • LOL 1

Where does Abigail live now? Did Sam sell his house? Did she buy it from him?

So odd that hospital guy's ex-fiancé ordered a toasted blt with tomato on the side, but never delivered it to him? She cornered him at the hospital, but no lunch was handed over. I guess she ate it, along with her donut. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
(edited)

I forgot that Abigail bought Sam's house!  Thanks for the reminder. Didn't she also get some settlement  money from the lawsuit regarding her ouster from her prior job--the company she helped build?  Or, am I just imagining that?

@treeofdreams thanks for reminding me that Abigail's last name is Pershing!  That was driving me nuts. I did remember that her parents were related to Cassie's birth parents and sort of seemed to be close when they were very young, then when Cassie's parents died, Abigail didn't know about it and  resented her for years.  And, @iMonrey, thanks too for pointing out that the Merriwick connection is sketchy.  Something had always bothered me about it, but I never bothered to sit down and trace it out.  

I got your back, Jack('s-son).  Oh how I WISH I had lackeys to order around!  LOL.  It's the criminal prosecutors who get the secretaries.  I get one assistant about ten minutes per day.  She's too nice to boss around.  Hope the episode doesn't drive you too bonkers.  One good thing about it is that if features several plotlines at once and moves along at a brisk pace. 

I laughed at the mound of luggage Martha brought for a weekend stay. (Yes, it probably includes some of Tom's too, but c'mon...we know it's mostly Martha's.) Then, she makes Tom haul all four pieces in from the car and they leave it all in the front entryway.  Too bad George was not around to haul it upstairs.  I found myself wondering if Sam had to pack it all up there or if Tom helped. 

16 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

According to IMBD it's an actress named Paula Boudreau.  I think she's been in several Hallmark movies, and was on Nurses and Warehouse 13, Degrassi, Workin' Moms and the Handmaid's Tale, none of whech I have seen. It was bugging me where I knew her from too, until I read that she was in An Old Fashioned Thanksgiving.  Ahhhhh....my brain itch is scratched!  She was the neighbor lady whose child had died and was still in mourning.  She was the male love interest's (Gad's) mother.

Edited by Cowgirl

So odd that hospital guy's ex-fiancé ordered a toasted blt with tomato on the side, but never delivered it to him?

LOL I noticed that too.

I forgot that Abigail bought Sam's house!  Thanks for the reminder. Didn't she also get some settlement  money from the lawsuit regarding her ouster from her prior job--the company she helped build?  Or, am I just imagining that?

She must have gotten some money from somewhere, because when we first met her she was broke. In The Good Witch's Family she's being kicked out of her apartment by her landlord because she's late with the rent. I don't remember where she got the money to buy her flower shop. But judging by the size of Sam's house I would guess it costs well into the $350K range, and that's a conservative estimate. 

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

According to IMBD it's an actress named Paula Boudreau.

So last night I decided to go back and start Good Witch from the very beginning, the very first movie.  I too thought I recognized Donovan's mother -- isn't she the same one who played Nancy in the first movie?  The one who was the first lady in town to like Cassie and went to her shop and got aphrodisiac oils which helped her get pregnant??   

I was glad to see the show's return on Sunday.  Yes, it has continuity discrepancies and lots of characters we like who seem to just vanish, but it's a wonderful escape for me and I like Cassie's serenity.  There is no comparison between the chemistry and genuineness that Chris Potter brought vs James Denton who is OK but his manner of speaking bugs me and he's not warm enough for Cassie IMO.  I love Martha and Catherine Disher as levity in the shows and Abigail serves well as one who's prickly and finding her way and in a totally different way of going about it, wants good outcomes for those she cares for.   

Now that the announcement has been made that Bailee Madison won't be in the show going forward and watching her on Sunday, I really think the show is going to miss her.  Are Abigail and Donovan going to be the future of Good Witch?

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

So last night I decided to go back and start Good Witch from the very beginning, the very first movie.  I too thought I recognized Donovan's mother -- isn't she the same one who played Nancy in the first movie?  The one who was the first lady in town to like Cassie and went to her shop and got aphrodisiac oils which helped her get pregnant??   

Oh my gosh, MerbearHou, you're right!!  Good eye! I didn't scroll down far enough on her IMDB page.  No wonder she looked familiar! 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

She must have gotten some money from somewhere, because when we first met her she was broke. In The Good Witch's Family she's being kicked out of her apartment by her landlord because she's late with the rent. I don't remember where she got the money to buy her flower shop. But judging by the size of Sam's house I would guess it costs well into the $350K range, and that's a conservative estimate. 

Abigail found an investor to get her flower shop started.  That was one of the storylines - Stephanie wanted to expand her bistro to add catering, and found an investor who was willing to back her, but Abigail stole him for her flower shop.  It turned out that the shop Stephanie wanted to use was in horrible condition and would have needed a huge amount to repair it, so it was a good  thing she lost her investor and never signed the papers.  (Those were in the days when Abigail would do something that looked negative, but would turn out to have positive results.  We never see that any more.  Now she is just a nice person looking for a man.  Not as interesting.)

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

It turned out that the shop Stephanie wanted to use was in horrible condition and would have needed a huge amount to repair it, so it was a good  thing she lost her investor and never signed the papers.

Didn't the shop that Abigail wanted, burn down? I remember Stephanie saying how lucky Abigail was for not signing the papers? That was back then when evil Abigail was in charge of the "Host" body. Nowadays, the Host is inhabited by a good, but boring spirit.

• Love 2
(edited)
53 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

Didn't the shop that Abigail wanted, burn down? I remember Stephanie saying how lucky Abigail was for not signing the papers?

I'm pretty sure it was the other way around, that Stephanie was the "lucky one" and Abigail got her flower shop.  Maybe someone who has watched the movie more recently can help out here.

Edited to add - Nope, wasn't a movie, was in season two of the series.

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 1
On 7/29/2019 at 4:33 PM, iMonrey said:

The lineage both Abigail and Cassie have back to Elizabeth Merriwick is sketchy from what I recall. In the first movie, Cassie was said to be a descendant of the Grey Lady (and of course, the portrait of said Lady looks exactly like her). But in the second movie, it turned out the Grey Lady was the fictional invention of a writer named Elizabeth Merriwick. Somewhere along the way the two stories were conflated to say that Cassie was descended from Merriwick herself.

Actually in the first movie Cassie tells Jake “I’m the great, great granddaughter of Elizabeth Merriwick, the Grey Lady.” Then like you say, we later find out that Elizabeth Merriwick was a writer who made up the Grey Lady. But Cassie said she was Elizabeth Merriwick’s descendant right from the start. 

On 7/29/2019 at 6:30 PM, treeofdreams said:

Abigail's last name is Pershing.

If I remember correctly, Cassie's birth name was something like Sue Ellen, but I don't remember her last name.  It wasn't Merriwick.  And then she made up Cassandra Nightingale to reflect her (former) witchiness.

I just watched the first movie again recently, her full name was Sue Ellen Brock. 

Even the theme song was witchier (kind of spooky) back then. And I forgot how much I liked the original shop. 

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, goldilocks said:

Even the theme song was witchier (kind of spooky) back then. And I forgot how much I liked the original shop. 

I completely agree I loved the first movie and really all the movies. It's kinda sad to make it into a TV show and then 'Hallmark it' and lose everything that was special about it.

• Love 4

So now Elizabeth Merriwick was the founder of Middleton? They keep making her a bigger and bigger deal. Nobody had ever heard of her before in The Good Witch's Garden.

I'll say one thing about this show, it sure does have some beautiful aerial shots. Does anyone know where it's filmed?

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I'll say one thing about this show, it sure does have some beautiful aerial shots. Does anyone know where it's filmed?

From Wikipedia:

"Although set in Middleton, USA, it was filmed in Hamilton and Niagara-on-the-Lake, in Ontario in Canada. In the sequel, The Good Witch's Charm, the map on the wall in the police station shows Middleton located northwest of Chicago, in the vicinity of DuPage County."

4 hours ago, goldilocks said:

Usually a TV series will have a 'bible' which gives descriptions of characters and their motivations, will sketch out plotlines and generally serve as a guide for writers/directors, actors and anyone else involved in the production of the thing. Often, but not always, a bible will cover a season at a time.

Either GW doesn't have one or no one reads it. It's also entirely possible that they're just flying by the seat of their pants with what seems to be heavy nudging from Hallmark Corp to not do anything which could possibly offend anyone.

Also, could just be that the production company made the first movie, it did well, they expanded it to a series, added some more films to fit it--more or less--with the series and kinda shrugged about plot holes.

That's what I think, anyway.

Edited by Beden
  • Love 1

So we watched seasons 1-4 on Netflix and my husband (I know! He loves this show!) was upset because we don't get the Hallmark channel* and Netflix doesn't have season 5. I did get it through Amazon Prime for 14$ (not HD, that was more). Peace in the house. 

*he'd never stream it on his tablet.... so let that go. 

• LOL 1

So now Cassie is relegated to taste-testing sandwiches, huh? They really don't know what to do with her now that she and Sam are married, so I guess all the focus will be on Abigail's and Stephanie's love lives. Ho-hum. What about this supposed Merriwick-Davenport curse? Does the show believe in magic, or not? They've scrubbed almost every hint that Cassie is really a witch but now they're incorporating a curse into the story? Make up your minds, Hallmark. 

• Love 3
On 8/5/2019 at 2:58 PM, Beden said:

Usually a TV series will have a 'bible' which gives descriptions of characters and their motivations, will sketch out plotlines and generally serve as a guide for writers/directors, actors and anyone else involved in the production of the thing. Often, but not always, a bible will cover a season at a time.

Either GW doesn't have one or no one reads it. It's also entirely possible that they're just flying by the seat of their pants with what seems to be heavy nudging from Hallmark Corp to not do anything which could possibly offend anyone.

Also, could just be that the production company made the first movie, it did well, they expanded it to a series, added some more films to fit it--more or less--with the series and kinda shrugged about plot holes.

That's what I think, anyway.

I didn’t write that post that you quoted. I think you did a highlighted quote of the original poster that I quoted, so it shows the wrong person being quoted. Next time, go to the original post and quote from there. 🙂 Would be better if we just couldn't quote from quoted portions of a message if it doesn't show the right person being quoted. Glitch in the system I guess. I had to think for a minute when I typed that message! Then realized it wasn't my message that was quoted, even though it shows my name.

Good morning Goldilocks...I'm confused. I didn't quote my last posting above, I wrote that. I worked in theater/film/TV for a number of years and I based that on my own knowledge. I merely used your post/quote as an example of inconsistencies in the series. No offense of any kind intended.

Sorry if there's any confusion.

Edited by Beden
20 hours ago, Beden said:

Good morning Goldilocks...I'm confused. I didn't quote my last posting above, I wrote that. I worked in theater/film/TV for a number of years and I based that on my own knowledge. I merely used your post/quote as an example of inconsistencies in the series. No offense of any kind intended.

Sorry if there's any confusion.

No, I’m not offended at all! I was just pointing out the wrong quoting so that you’d be aware of it. I wasn’t aware either until I saw it (the quote that says “Goldilocks Said”, but I never wrote that). If you go back to the original message, you’ll see that iMonrey wrote that. 

What I’m saying is that wasn’t my quote you used, it was iMonrey’s. But because you highlighted their message within a quote (by that I mean their message that I quoted), it shows my name instead of theirs, because the quote was in my message. It’s a bit of a glitch. You would have to go back up to their original message and quote from there. Basically, don’t highlight something that is already quoted, go up to the original message. I hope that’s not too confusing, it’s hard to explain without showing you. We need one of those YouTube how-to videos! 😄 

• LOL 1

I am a very late discoverer of Good Witch so my experience has been quite different.  I just started watching the movies, then the series, this summer (binging them over a few weeks).  They came along at a very, very anxious time of upheaval in my life and kind of amazingly, Cassie's serene outlook and finding the good in people and situations has literally had an affect on me.  I am calmer and find myself adopting a "less control, let it play out, things work out if you don't squeeze so hard", etcetc mentality.  So I'm here to say that a concentrated viewing of Good Witch has helped me find more balance and stay calm, cheerier and positive.  I do see that the magic is (regretfully) greatly reduced from the movies and oh, I miss Chris Potter.  I like the levity and warmth that Martha, Eve and Derek bring and I have grown so fond of almost every character (except both Taras who bug me).

• Love 10
1 hour ago, MerBearHou said:

So I'm here to say that a concentrated viewing of Good Witch has helped me find more balance and stay calm, cheerier and positive.

That's wonderful!  For all our carping and nitpicking here on the forum, Good Witch is a good show, and I think we do appreciate the positive tone and good vibes.

I certainly prefer it to all the darker shows that are now on TV.

• Love 5
On 8/9/2019 at 1:20 PM, treeofdreams said:

That's wonderful!  For all our carping and nitpicking here on the forum, Good Witch is a good show, and I think we do appreciate the positive tone and good vibes.

I certainly prefer it to all the darker shows that are now on TV.

Positive is one thing but this is now so saccharine and gooey I get a bad sugar headache after each episode!

Edited by goldilocks
  • Love 7